Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    The AC does switch on if either the air is recirculated, or if defog or defrost are selected.

Supposedly, in cold weather, the AC compressor stays off during defrost, but cannot verify that in S. California.
  • oldntired1950oldntired1950 Member Posts: 151
    Just got back from a day in New York City. My wife and I took my mother-in-law and my wife's brother and his wife from Long Island into Manhattan for a show and dinner. A very comfortable trip for the five of us. I parked in two different commercial parking garages (on street parking in NYC is just a dream!). At each stop the guys parking the cars stopped what they were doing to come over and check out the Maxx, asking what is it. At both stops they raved about the looks and functionality. To me, that's high praise from guys who drive different cars every day. Funny that after 6 months this is the first Maxx they have seen. This car is still the best kept secret coming out of Detroit, or is that KC?
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    I had a similar experience on this, day one of our Maxx. I took it to a local Goodyear tire center just to have the tires evened out (it seems that one was running a little under 30 psi and another over), and as I pulled it into the service area, the mechanics were all like "what is THAT?" They were surprised it was the new Malibu, one of them was like "man that is a NICE car...it looks nothing like the old one." I showed it off a little and then told them the price range and it got universal thumbs up.

Personally I've only seen two on the road, and looking at my fiance driving back to her place in the garage tonight I really was struck but how refreshingly 'different' it looks. I can't really describe to people what it is. I don't think its fair to say its a hatchback or a station wagon because it really doesn't look like either. Its almost like a 3/4 Pacifica in terms of body shape I guess, but the rear end in particular is actually quite sporty. The stance is very aggressive, which the accent stripe on this particulary one really accentuates. The result is really a car that you notice.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    Almost 11 weeks, up to 8700 miles. Maxx still running great. Average mileage over 27 mpg on on last trip averaged over 31. One thing very noticeable, however. I do a lot of driving & very aware of other vehicles on the road. In all of this time I have seen only one other Maxx, that must live in my town or nearby (Seekonk, MA). Otherwise, I have not seen a single one since I bought mine early April. What gives??

There may have many regular Malibu's out there but I donb't pay too much attention to them. All of those style cares look alike to me anyways but the Maxx stands out!

My only complaint continues to be that the avg mpg on trip computer registers at least 2 mpg higher than actual.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    having owned my Maxx LT since April...I agree.....there arent too many running on the roads...the one I did see was coming north on I-77 in SC....had Florida plates....Im from VA....and we exchanged waves and flashed lights at one another...but will be taking another road trip to the outer banks in NC from the DC area this weekend so will see what happens....still very satisfied with my burgandy Maxx LT with the few accessories I added....got an ultimate guy toy for the car for father's day...a Magellan RoadMate 500 Plus GPS navigation system....so that is neatly mounted on the dash now....never have to asked for directions again! or at least ask her to ask directions!!!...cheers all
  • hitskyfamhitskyfam Member Posts: 5
    I have a question for maxxny. How was your warning lights problem resolved? We took our Maxx in for the recall work and that didn't fix the problem. Back to service today and they can't make it happen. So, it isn't fixed. The problem isn't so frequent, but it's alarming (pun intended) when you're driving along and hear the gongs.
  • thinmanthinman Member Posts: 18
    Had the wife's Maxx for routine service the other day and noticed they had five more on the lot. So far the only other one we have seen on the road is another sliver one. I was very curious about this because I have always had the feeling that if they could only get people to test drive it they would be sold on it. So I asked my salesman why the Maxx's weren't moving. He said that they were trying to steer people towards them. People would look at it, listen to the sales pitch, agree that it sounded like a great car, then turn around and say something like, "Now, where are your Trailblazers?"

But I do have one suggestion to Chevy. Get some colors other then the bland earthtones they have now! Let's see a bright red! Or an electric blue, maybe? How about a good bright green, even? Maybe the problem is that with the Sandstone and Muddy green and those other bland colors the car is getting lost in the suns glare. It deosn't stand out in the parking lot. If you want the younger generation to notice the car, make it noticeable! Just a thought.
    I think you hit it right on (Colors and SUV).....until we get over the SUV craze or need, which I doubt we will ever see.....people will steer away from a pure automobile for a first car. I admit...we are a two car family, the Maxx is mine and hers is an Explorer, no kids....sooo Im guilty too. In the DC area...all the "younger generation'....hey Im 47...but its only a number....regardless the younger generation looks at the entry level Acura's, Lexus's etc here in northern VA..I do agree ...you need to make it stand out....I had a 99 Mustang that was forest green...and it stood out in the parking lot....that is why I chose the burgandy for my Maxx...
    And VW's. Never have I seen more VW's than around Northern Virginia. Jetta's, Passat's even Tourags. I live near a VW dealer so I always seem them getting worked on too...which of course is a major part of the VW experience.

For the record, I'm well under 30...
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    I just bought my 2004 Maxx today after looking at cars for three months. I have owned Cavaliers and prefer hatchbacks--needed something roomy for my teenaged kids. I have never seen a Maxx on the road anywhere! It seems like a perfect choice for me. I was checking out the Ford Focus and the Mazda 6. I think I absolutely made the right choice with my Maxx.
  • tiger66tiger66 Member Posts: 5
    I seen an earlier message where someone was planning to order Reese hitch; I have called around to all Hitch places I can think of and I have not been able to find a hitch the 2004 Maxx. The best I have heard from Hitch-finder and Draw-tite is they were supposed to release the hitch mid-June but not word and no ETA.

I'm looking for either 1.25 or 2"; just looking to pull a 3 bike rack (no trailer). Any help would be appreciated!!!!!!!! Plan to pick up my Maxx next week.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    here you go tiger 66. I recommend Reese's Instahitch II:
    http://hitch-web.com/vhitch.asp?CLID=2&SM=LS+Maxx+Hatchback+5- - - +Door&DR=&MD=Malibu&C=Passenger+Car+or+Station+Wagon&- amp;- amp;- amp;MK=Chevrolet&Y=2004&SMBBID=1334-74&YID=86&CID- - - =3&MKID=12&DRID=5&MDID=795&OID=8&SMID=&cm- - - dNext=Next&BPID=6&VID=28121

there was a VERY small notch that the mechanic had to make so the metal would not hit a bolt. He also had to enlarge two holes with a drill. The website I am siting will tell you if there is a "no drill" policy for a hitch. In the case of the Maxx, I'm afraid a small bit of drilling is required. After watching him for 1.5 hours, I would seriously recommend a professional put it on when the car is on a lift. Also: Drawtite and Reese are the same company now.

Here's a bike rack I highly recommend.
    http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=17093
    It is the the most convenient and secure system I have ever seen. You will need to take 10 seconds and drill the nut on the inside of the bike rack post with a 1/2 inch metal bit, since it is made to use a threaded bolt to hold the rack to the hitch. I recommend drilling it out and using a Masterlock locking pin for easy on-off access and safety. There are also all kinds of cargo carriers out there which will also slide into your new hitch, keeping the inside of your Maxx looking good as new.
    Hey Maxx...thanks for the info. I will check it out. I was planning to Lease the Maxx (got great lease rate since they increased cash July 1), but given what all has to be done to get the hitch installed, not sure if I want to go through all that trouble...and cost. I really need the hitch, so maybe I need to reconsider another vehicle? I am hoping they might release something more of a custom fit for the Maxx.
  • glennbglennb Member Posts: 34
    I have an '04 Maxx I purchased last week, and just turned over 400 miles. So far I'm loving it for the most part, but my wife hates the seats and misses the Venture we traded in for this car. My only complaint so far is a burning rubber smell coming from under the hood. I took it to the dealer (this AM in fact) and they cleaned off some body sealant that had dripped onto the manifold and pronounced it fixed. I just got home and still smell the burning rubber smell. Anyone else have this problem? Any info greatly appreciated. TIA.

Glenn Butzlaff
    Glenn: I too have smelled "warm" rubber from underneath the hood. Nothing serious that I can see. There is a gloopy grey putty that GM used on this car to cover up joints in the sheet metal. Perhaps an overzealous factory worker sprayed it in the wrong place, and that is what is causing the smell.
  • glennbglennb Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the reply maxx4me. This goes beyond warm rubber; it actually smells like rubber burning, like doing a burnout. No smoke tho'. I'll drive it for a bit, then take it back later this week if it doesn't go away. Possibly the tech didn't spot all the possible stuck on sealant.

Glenn
  • michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    I purchased a six-foot step-ladder and was able to bring it home inside by folding down the front passenger and rear passenger seats on the right side. My wife rode behind me in the left rear passenger seat. I loaded the ladder in "feet" first. It left the entire cargo area free. After I got home I was curious as to whether I could load my eight-foot extension ladder. No problem. For a car-based vehicle with very nice cargo flexibility, comfort and pep, it is pretty impressive.
    Glenn,

did you have any sealant or undercoating applications done to the car....is the smell constant.....if those applications get on the manifold or exhaust...they should...burn off, but certainly shouldnt be a constant smell......perhaps a belt binding or needing adjustment?..just some thoughts
  • robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    I'm looking forward to buy a MAXX LT this fall.
    Can someone enlighten me as to how Chevy was able to come up with a supposedly old tech V6 that has comparable performance to the Camry's or Accords V6's and for that matter, the Maxx's mileage approaches that of the 4cyl Camry and Accord.
    Well, I'm not sure if you can really say that the performance is comparable. Certainly the Accord V6 delivers much better performance. The Camry is closer.

However, when you consider that the V6 Maxx costs the same as a 4 cyl. Camcord, its a much different story.

One of the reasons why the fuel economy of the Maxx is significantly better than one might thing is the steering system, apparently they have eliminated the power steering motor which ran on the engine.

Our first tank of gas on Maxx, which was a mix of city and highway driving, yielding 19.5 mpg. I was very pleased with that. I should note that my Alero got around 14 mpg and my Intrigue right now gets around 15.5. That tells you what kind of driving I do!
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    The 3.5L may be an old design engine but from what I have read it's still pretty hi-tech and very efficient getting near 4 cylinder efficiency.

I drove a new Malibu and I thought the V6 was very smooth and responsive. To me that's more important than the details of the technology. Reliability is there and that's all that I care about.
    Agreed, comparing the maxx to V6 CamCords (cool term btw) is a little bit of a stretch but the maxx engine strikes me as a perfect balance between performance and economy. It approaches performance of a V6 CamCord and the economy of a 4cyl Camcord. Plus more useful torque than either one.

Regards

Rob
    Yes, High tech implementation of an old tech (proven) design.
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    uses on a lot of their cars.

I had an '00 L200 for a few years. I noticed a similiar smell especially after long drives. There was never any problems associated with the smell. The car held up perfectly.

By the way, good points about the 3.5 ltr. mileage/performance mix. The 3.5 may not be race track ready. It is not meant to be. What it is meant to do is get you around effectively and efficiently. From what I have been reading here and elsewhere, it does both well.
    Did some websearching and here is a very enlightening article:
    In defense of pushrods:
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?n=198&sid=198&a- rticle=7178
    For general use cars and trucks OHVs are great, especially in the city where most people do most of their driving. Lots of low end torque.

I love my 3.8L, don't miss my multivalve 4 cyl Accord at all.
    3.8L ?
    Are we missing something here in the US?
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    The new Malibus' v6, the 3500 series, was derived from the 3400 series. They rebuilt the crank, added a new fuel injection system and manifold system, and tweaked a whole bunch of things to make the old design more efficient. One GM engine developer mentioned that going to an overhead cam/valve design would further improve efficienty by 10%.

It would be nice to see variable valve timing on the future versions.
  • oldcorvettefanoldcorvettefan Member Posts: 17
    My son and I were prowling around the local Chevy dealership tonight, and we spotted some 2005 Maxx's.

They look the same, in spite of some speculation on other forums that there would be some styling changes.

The new spoiler and rear window wiper look very good.

Steven
    I have a 2004 Grand Prix, sorry.
    posted sites to both articles at the meet the owners forum
    Maxx... just found out Friday that Draw-tite (reese) released their class 2 Hitch for the Maxx, so now I can get it installed by a local hitch installer (probably going to go with uHaul)..they are charging $159 installed.

Also, during last week's disappointment when I was unable to find a local installer to install the hitch, I decided to once again consider going to a Trunk mount bike carrier...and I looked into Saris and Yakima, and neither of them offer a trunk version of a bike rack/carrier. I did find one manuf (I believe it was Thule) that offers one, though if you read the fine print is says not recommended on this model).

Has anyone with an '04 Maxx been able to find a rear trunk bike rack? Just wondering incase I run into a problem with the hitch receiver. I am picking up my Maxx tomorrow (they're putting an after market SunRoof in - guess I cannot complain for free - with Lease - but it is rather small compared to the factory ver), and will probably try and get the hitch installed on the weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to once again carry the bikes by next week ;-)
    my hitch is the class 2 reese hitch. Are you saying the the hitch costs only $159 after installation???? That's way cheaper than what mine was!!
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    I was waiting until the fall to make my purchase, but the rebate was jacked up to $4000 so I moved quickly. Used discount, factory rebate, and GM card money. Pick up Wednesday. I am adding the "premium" mud flaps and locking gas cap. Contemplating ziebarting under carriage. Any thoughts on this ?
    reference the undercoating..what part of the country do you live in and what do they treat the roads with in the winter....I have found that most newer cars do well in winter conditions without additional treatments. Most of my driving is in northern VA where they use a mixture of sand and some salt here.....my 99 mustang went thru two harsh winters..by our standards and I had no problems with rust or corrosion.....I ran the car thru an undercarriage car wash twice a month during that period....

I think addition undercoating is a personal preference and not a necessary requirement....it does add some sound proofing but also adds additional weight to the vehicle as well....just my two cents!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Don't do the ziebart. Factory coatings now are excellent, and adding anything to them can make things worse. I have a 14 year old Acura that has not been garaged. It was purchased in the DC area, and is now in South Dakota (cold winters and lots of salt). No problems with rust.
  • ephraimephraim Member Posts: 2
    My wife and I have just taken delivery of a Chevy Malibu Maxx. All in all the car is very nice with many nice conveniences. One problem that we have encountered is that at any speed over 40MPH, driving with the sunroof in the fully open position, wind passing over the sunroof which sits on top of the roof like a large wind deflector makes for a very loud wind noise. Has anybody experienced the same problem?? It seems that the angle of the sunroof to the roof pokes the sunroof into the air stream and thus causes wind noise. That along with a very ineffective "wind deflector" at the front of the sunroof opening all contribute to a noisy sunroof. Any suggestions?
    you are correct..I solved my problem with an after market sunroof wind deflector....you can see it on my Maxx site here..... I got mine off ebay...from the same company I have linked on the website..You can run 75 on the interstate..and carry on a normal conversation with the sun roof open now....my recommendation. check ebay if you are in no hurry....do a search for malibu maxx......the company doesnt have any listed at the moment...got mine for $10 less than the asking price on their website

my Maxx website
    http://home.att.net/~p.oswald

simple and easy installation of the deflector..takes about 15 minutes and no drilling required...no tape...simple clamps..hopethis helps
    I've seen several complaints now, including the 7/13 Edmunds Maxx review, that the interior is drab and colorless. Every time, it appears that the test car had the gray interior with titanium. Now I know that some people do not like fake wood, and I sort of have a mixed feeling about it myself, but I personally preferred the neutral/wood interior on the blue and red cars (and other colors) over the grey/titanium scheme in some of the other colors. I wonder if the reviewers realize that you don't have to get grey/grey if you don't want it.

The neutral scheme in our blue Maxx actually has three tones--a darker color beige, lighter beige, and the wood trim. I think its very tasteful and gives the cabin an airy feel.
    I agree about the neutral--I have it on my 2004 Light Driftwood MAXX. I usually go for the grey tones but in this car I prefer the neutral tones with the woodtone. The "fake" wood looks better than one might expect and gives the interior a very nice appearance.
    I found 2 places near me that both will install the Draw-tite hitch (PN 36321). According the Draw-tite, the part is around $130...one place (uHaul) quoted $159, the other $165 including installation. THey probably can buy the hitch much cheaper than the $130 retail. I had expected to have to pay upwards to $200 for a hitch initially, but this is not too bad.

I just picked up my Maxx Wed, and believe it or not, its back at the Dealer. Long story short, they put the free after market Sunroof in and now none of my interior lights work ;-( Didn't notice that in the morning during pickup, until later that evening when there were NO interior lights working. Also, my after market moonroof is slightly smaller than the factory, but one nice thing is there is NO wind noise (or very little). I sure would have liked the larger moonroof, but I suppose I cannot complain for free on a Lease. I'm back driving their 24Hr test drive LT Maxx...so my daughter is happy since it's got the DVD player in it ;-) I'll just continue to put miles on their car.

I'll let you know after I get mine back and get the Hitch installed, to confirm all is correct with the part, price, etc...probably not till late next week now.
  • thinmanthinman Member Posts: 18
    I called WeatherTech yesterday. The gentleman I talked to said the prototypes for the rear windows have been approved and should be going into production with-in about two weeks. So hopefully we can order the full four window kit with-in about two weeks.

Just an aside...I've used the VentVisors on my S-10 and the WeatherTechs on my Olds Alero. Like the Weathertech much better because of the "no-glue" feature. Both work as advertised and here on the Carolina Coast they DO keep the interior cooler on hot days. Only drawback is an increase in wind noise with both. But then, neither where quiet vehicles to start with. *L*
    I already have the front weathertech visors installed....my impression from talking with the tech rep was you will still have to order the front and back separately...if you order the front ones now..they offer free shipping on the rear set..or at least that was indicated on my invoice for the front ones when they arrived....good clean installation..takes about 5 minutes since they mount in the window channels...with the 3M adhesive....will definately check back with them in August to get the rear set..they do increase the wind noise...but only at highway cruising speeds.....and it is just a noticeable increase..nothing annoying to me.....
    Yes, tiger66, do be careful. Your hitch price is a full $100 lower than mine. I am skeptical that you are getting the correct one.
  • ephraimephraim Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for answering my inquiry. I did log on to your web site and the information should come in handy. Thanks again.
    just completed the second longest road trip..for the Maxx to date...1200 miles round trip..Northern VA to Charleston SC and return..mostly I-95....averaged 30 miles to the gallon...my calculation not the computers...drove like a dream and handled two medium suitcases a medium sized cooler...and assorted smaller items all in the back without lowering the seats and with the decklid in place.

Ran with the sunroof open...and the back windows down about two inches...for a nice ventilation, low noise with my wind deflector in place for the sunroof for part of the trip..so will be real nice this fall..

ran 70-80 MPH most of the way..usually about 7-9 MPH over the speedl imit...Maxx maintained well...and got many stares as I passed or was passed by other cars....saw three others on the road this time...two in Charleston and one with FL tags on I-95

6700 miles on the Maxx now...and still very pleased with it...I did send an email to GM thru GM LINK, reference the poor engineering of the rear sun shades...the customer service rep was very responsive in returning my call and sending an email...I havent spoken directly with them as of yet..but they have left two messages as a follow up..so GM seems to be working hard...for customer satisfaction in this regards..Im going to try to contact them today....to discuss the sun shade issue....will keep you updated
    thanks pao; good update. I hope to see your wind deflector real soon.
  • occkingoccking Member Posts: 346
    A little over 10,000 miles since first week of April. Another quick trip to Montreal--averaged a little over 31 mpg (although trip computer continues to show approx 2 mpg over actual) Only one time, when I did mostly city driving that I average around 23 mpg. Otherwise, for all of my driving in total average is around 27 or so.

Rain X does fine so absolutely no need for a rear window washer. Still, in all of my travels in over three months have only seen three or four of the Maxx's on the road. Maybe some of the regular Malibus but I really don't pay attention to them.
    I finally saw another MAXX in a neighboring town--a silver one--parked on the street. It's the first one I've seen anywhere (I'm in the NYC metropolitan area).
  • tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I would highly recomment the Maxx over the VW... I just made the switch from an 02 Golf to an 04 Malibu LT sedan, and I'm very happy with my choice. My Golf had a bunch of problems with it that made it feel about 10 years older than it actually was, and it only had about 38,000 miles when I traded it in. I'm a lot happier with the interior space in the Malibu also, and the power... I can run the A/C in my Malibu with no problem, while in my Golf, you'd feel the whole car lurch when you turned it on! The rear seats in the Golf/Jetta are basically useless, but then that also depends on how tall you are... I'm 6'4". As far as quality, I feel that the Malibu is a much more solid vehicle than my Volkswagen, and I don't have any reservations recommending it to others. The Malibu's motor may not be the most technologically advanced, but it's a tried and true design and I'm confident that it won't give me any trouble. Good luck with your car shopping!