Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I think you're absolutely right. I would leave the CD player on when I turned off the ignition, and then later on when I'd come back out to the car, the CD changer would be frozen. It wouldn't play, change, or eject a CD, and would eventually switch over to the radio. I had the radio replaced, but the replacement radio still does this occaisionally if I don't turn off the radio manually before I turn off the ignition. So, I've just gotten into the habit of making sure I turn it off first, and I haven't had problems since.
  • tra2883tra2883 Member Posts: 79
    I already posted this in the Malibu Sedan board, but I wanted to post it here as well:

First off, I think that the Maxx is a very cool design, and I'm glad to think that Chevrolet put it together since GM hasn't exactly been the most innovative company in the past. But, I had a hatchback in the past (an 02 Golf) but I didn't really need the usefulness that the hatchback provides. I figured that just about anything that I would ever need to carry in a hatchback, I could carry in my Malibu sedan since the rear seats fold down, as well as the front passenger seat. Also, I personally think that the Maxx looks a little bit awkward from a few angles, probably due to it's long wheelbase and relatively short overhangs. Finally, I view the Maxx as a real family car, with it's huge rear seating and optional DVD player. I don't have the need for either, because 95% of the time, I'm the only one in the car. I didn't want to drive something that had such a family vibe to it, since I'm only 21! Very happy with my Bu though!
  • snowcatsnowcat Member Posts: 13
    I would fully think this was the issue of a combination of the personalization feature between the two remote fobs and the power on/off on the cd player when exiting the car, *but* I've had it happen while driving down the road and the cd changer changing from one cd to the next on it's own. :-(

I'm keeping track of statuses when it decides to misbehave.

SnowCat
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I haven't checked in our Maxx, but I seem to recall one of the magazine or online reviews remarking that GM left child safety locks off the Malibu on purpose, and a GM spokesman was quoted as saying they are not needed since the vehicle locks all the doors as soon as Drive is engaged (or is it as soon as the vehicle starts moving?). Personally, I wish GM had included child safety locks on the vehicle.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Yes GM did leave rear doorlocks off, and one leading consumer magazine penalized them for it.

Then again, the doorlocks in the Maxx appear difficult for a child to open.
  • vincentwangvincentwang Member Posts: 42
    I traded in my jetta wagon for a full loaded MAXX LT today, it's a used one with only 300km, yes, three hundred km! And I believe I got a not bad deal for the whole package.

Really enjoy the homelink, DVD, and the nice leather. Also with all the moonroof, I never feel so bright inside a vehicle. Haven't try the Onstar yet, don't know it's useful or not, maybe a GPS handset will do the same thing.

Hopefully this vehicle can accompany me for problem-free 3 to 4 years!
  • townhometownhome Member Posts: 104
    Great choice vincentwang! I had a 99 Jetta sedan that I liked a lot, but I do prefer my Maxx. Once I got use to the steering, I felt more comfortable driving the Maxx than the Jetta. Also, I'm getting better gas milage!
    Thanks townhome!

Yes, Maxx is much roomie and powerful than my TDI, plus, I'm tired of shifting all the time in the rainny Vancouver!

Hopefully the MPG will improve after breaking-in.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    I'm glad they penalized them for it. This is one of the few areas that I think was a poor design decision on either the sedan or the Maxx. I sort of agree that in most cases they aren't needed, thanks to the location / type of manual door lock handles these cars have, but my son (just turned 3 early this month) explores everything, and seems intent on being the next Houdini. So I worry he'll eventually manage to get to the door lock and unlock it, then possibly open the door while the car is moving. About all I can do is keep a close eye on him and try my best to make sure he understands that such things are "BAD". :o(
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Somewhat related to child proof door locks have you noticed the buttons on rear seatback cushions indicating the position of the LATCH anchor points. Nice touch. The manual shows 6 anchors although there are only 5. Incidentally, with a child firmly tucked into a car seat there is no way they are reaching the lock knob.
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    There are only 5 anchors? I use the LATCH anchors with my son's car seat, but I didn't pay enough attention to how many there were total. (I've used the center position and the driver's side rear seat).
  • triedntrutriedntru Member Posts: 73
    It's funny how topics recycle themselves if you watch a particular message board long enough. We had this same discussion regarding child safety locks back in July on the regular Malibu board. I copied my statement back then:

My understanding is that the safety locks on the doors were deemed unnecessary because the doors automatically lock anytime the car is shifted out of park. You'll notice that the only way a rear passenger can unlock the rear doors is by pulling up on the little lock knob - something that would be nearly impossible for properly restrained little kids with limited dexterity.

I think safety is also designed into the power window button. You'll notice it's not a rocker - type button. Rather, you have to pull back on the switch in order to roll the window up. This prevents anything getting caught in the window while leaning on the switch.

In my glory college years of late-night mooning sprees, I should know a thing or two about getting things caught in the window from accidentally leaning on the switch...

I don't think these innovations are "cutting safety features for cost savings" as some posts suggest. Instead, I think the engineers are successfully incorporating the same safety into the design without requiring user intervention. In fact, I think that lack of user intervention makes the Malibu safer.

Dave
    Another thought..in a collision, child safety locks mean your kids cannot get out of the car unless you reach back there and haul them out to exit via front doors. Suppose the car is on fire? Or sinking in water?

Have there been crash studies to determine if not being able to open doors after a collision (due to child locks) causes injury or worse to both child and parent?
    I think GM would be pleased to hear someone traded in a Jetta Wagon - which most folks think of as a real niche/enthusiast vehicle - for a Maxx.

I'm a Maxx owner so I'm not bashing the Maxx, but why did you get rid of the Jetta wagon? That's a pretty cool vehicle, and my impression is most people who buy one, never get rid of it.
    "My understanding is that the safety locks on the doors were deemed unnecessary because the doors automatically lock anytime the car is shifted out of park. You'll notice that the only way a rear passenger can unlock the rear doors is by pulling up on the little lock knob - something that would be nearly impossible for properly restrained little kids with limited dexterity."

But pulling up on the know while car is moving will unlock the door, right?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    PLEASE do not hit your browser's refresh button to see replies or new posts - all this will do is repost your last entry. Please use the "Recent Messages" link at the top and bottom of each page.

Thanks!
    kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    You are correct. The auto door lock is a "one-shot" activation of door locks. It doesn't continually lock them so you can manually unlock them with the vehicle moving or not.
  • maxxsilvermanmaxxsilverman Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 Maxx LS with standard climate control system(not the automatic temperature control version) and I have a question on the outside air/recirculation switch. The manual states that you can not access the recirculation mode in either the defog or defrost settings however after using the defog or defrost settings and switching back to vent or bi-level I still can't switch to the recirculation mode. Is there some type of a lock-out feature after using these settings, or any kind of restriction based on temperature? If this is not the case why can't I switch to the recirculation mode?
    There isn't any lock-out feature besides what you mentioned (defog/defrost) that I am aware of. The Pontiac G6 (similar but different) I am driving allows recirc under conditions you describe. I will check with some more knowledgable parties on Malibu HVAC system and be back in touch. Might take til next week due to holiday.

Under other conditions the recirc function does work correct?

Also when you are locked out are you getting 3 flashes of the LED indicator saying "yeah I know what you want to do, but I ain't letting you?"
  • prdmprdm Member Posts: 145
    Checking under the hood again, besides noticing no tranny dipstick now I see there are no cables running to throttle plate - either accelerator or cruise. I better stop looking under there; stuff keeps disappearing.
    On my 2004 Malibu I cannot use recirculation for defog and defrost (I get the 3 blinks from LED if I try this, nor can I shut off the compressor for any recirculation mode. The manual suggests this is all normal.

However, it would be nice to see a higher threshold on the compressor for cold weather. Having the compressor on for 40 degrees and up (I remember reading that is the 2004's threshold) means it will be a long time before I get enough heat to clear the windshield.
    My jetta wagon is hand shift, makes feel tired in city driving now. It's still a nice car anyway.

But att the same price, I can get a roomy one with more standard equipment, I also love the softer suspension of Maxx.
    Yes, the cruise control function is pretty much just a software now once a vehicle gets electronic throttle control (throttle-by-wire). The only added parts are the switches on the steering wheel.
  • maddmaxxmaddmaxx Member Posts: 81
    e2helper, does my 5/25/4 Maxx qualify for the rough idle TSB? Also, is it possible to set the software up for maximum fuel efficiency? That sure would be great for my job if any adjustments can be made.

Thanks!
    maddmaxx - nope, from what I can see your vehicle was built late enough in 2004 model year that you already have the calibration mentioned in that TSB. Hope you aren't having any issues.

In regards to fuel effiency, that is way out of my field of knowledge but if I were to guess I would say that drivability, durability, performance and emissions standards also weigh in on the decisions made about how any vehicle is calibrated. There are probably others out there who could give some good examples of those considerations but I can't.

Driving habits and keeping tires properly inflated are good but obvious items that anyone can do - but I am a lead foot and so am not a good source of information there either :)
    No one else may care, but this is something that I've wondered about: why do domestic cars almost always have red turn signals in the rear, instead of amber? And usually, the blinker will be the same bulb as the brake light. On the other hand European and Asian cars almost always have separate blinkers, and the rear blinkers are usually amber. And to take it further, Europe and Japan require turn signal repeaters somewhere in or near the front fenders, something not required in North America.

I really prefer cars to have rear amber blinkers with repeaters in the fenders. After living in Europe for a year, I realize how much more visible these two things make a drivers intentions, especially the repeaters. I also owned a Jetta with these features and I feel that more people could tell what I was doing when I was signaling in the Jetta, especially during lane changes. This is something I wish the Maxx had.

Does anyone else agree with this? How can we get domestic manufactures to incorporate these things? e2helper, are you in charge of this? ;)
    Interesting topic, to me, townhome :)

It is what I called separated vs. combined stop/turn functionality.

Both items are mainly a "styling" thing although cost considerations always enter into things too.

Side repeaters are not found on many domestic vehicles, you are correct. Some larger vehicles that have turn signals in outside mirrors are being designed so that those also meet the side repeater requirement.

The one thing that lack of amber rear turn signals and front side repeaters causes is an inability to export vehicle to those countries. There are other lighting requirements that Europe has which don't show up on U.S. vehicles (rear fog lamp, headlamp washers, headlamp leveling systems, for example). I think the European Union activities has tended to commonize standards in those countries but I think there are still unique requirements for some countries (a few Scandinavian countries require their own version of DRL - similar, but different from Canada's).

You might notice that the previous Malibu design (now called the Classic) DID have amber turn signals. Again, styling

I don't have any more to say on this other than I will pass along your comments and if you have opportunity to express your opinion elesewhere please do so.

Going back in history regarding turn signals functionality, you might remember when domestic vehicles all had the functionality where if you had a turn signal bulb go inoperative that your remaining turn signal bulbs on that side would just stay ON solid.

Nowadays I think you will notice under these conditions that the remaining bulbs flash at a double-rate. This is one area where the European vehicle standard has been pretty much universally adopted by domestic automakers.
    As I posted above, I just got my Maxx two days.

The Mpg on DIC is 15-16L/100km, is this the actual fule consumption?

And I would like to know how the MPG improved after break-in in your Maxx. Just want to get some idea. Thanks.
    That is low but you will need to get a couple thousand km on vehicle before you get a more accurate picture. Having the vehicle only a couple of days wouldn't be very representative. You might even want to reset the calculation if you haven't done that already. How many km do you have on your vehicle now?

Depends on your driving conditions but posters often mention stuff in range of 23->25 MPG or 9.4->10.2 L/100km and even higher, lower in your case :), if doing highway driving

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html
    Yes, I understand.

15-16L/100km is equivalent to 15-17 MPG in the U.S. It is the actual fuel consumption so far on your vehicle but if you have not driven the vehicle very much yet that calculation will include a considerable percentage of engine idling time at assembly plant or dealership. Plus a brand new vehicle will have lower economy anyways as you mention. I think manufacturers fuel economy testing on vehicles that have several thousand miles on them. That is why I was curious if you have driven your vehicle much during these first few days of ownership.

In any event you should expect a significant increase in fuel economy - post back in a month or so and let us know how it has changed.
  • michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    vincentwang, this is a copy of a message from kcram, our forum host:
    PLEASE do not hit your browser's refresh button to see replies or new posts - all this will do is repost your last entry. Please use the "Recent Messages" link at the top and bottom of each page.

Thanks!
    kcram
    Host - Wagons

This may explain why we are seeing the same message from you in posting 2554, 2556, and 2558.

Regards, michiganmaxx
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Keep in mind also, in Canada we get winter gas this time of year which will cut mileage #s. The cold also tends to reduce efficiency. You won't likely get best performance until the spring.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    This may explain why we are seeing the same message from you in posting 2554, 2556, and 2558.

...oh, I thought it meant that he had his Maxx 6 days now, or that he owns 3 Maxx's....he,he,he
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    Hi MAXX gang,

I will need a new car very soon and Malibu MAXX in a short list for the next purchase.
    I am actually scheduled a test drive for tomorrow and $3K+ on my GM card makes MAXX look very attractive. After reading posts in this forum - I've got the impression that I should stay away from 04 model in favor of 05. Is this right?
    Also I am not planning to get "leather" seats -
    is there a difference in comfort level between regular and "leather"? How regular fabric holds up? It looks pretty ugly on the pictures and I hope it look better in person...
    bhw77, my dogs have tried everything they know to ruin the leather and ultra-lux in my Maxx, but it hasn't worked yet. I think it's the best upholstery I've seen in any car. The seats are very comfortable also. I read in some review that the reviewer tried both the cloth seats and the leather seats and thought the cloth seats were more narrow and not as comfortable. And, I agree, the cloth seats are not very attractive.
  • michiganmaxxmichiganmaxx Member Posts: 72
    Yeah, and it looks like from reading #2562 that he has 4 Maxx's...he,he,he
    Thanks for the reply e2helper. It would be cool if the upcoming Maxx's could incorporate at least the repeaters. It would help complete the very European look and feel of the Maxx. And, they couldn't add THAT much to the price, could they?

Also, I was glad to see that Chevy left them on the Aveo when they brought it to this country. Some companies take them off when selling the same car here as they do overseas, which seems like more of a bother to me. Mazda took them off the 6, but left them on the 3.
    sorry guys, my fault. I really don't know refresh will repost.

Maybe Edmunds should update their system now...:)
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I would say if you can still find an 04 Maxx with the options you want on it....go for it, look for the build date and get one after Feb 04.the major problems, seem to have been fixed in production after that time period..otherwise the only difference that Im aware of is the 05 comes with the rear deck spoiler and the rear window wiper....otherwise identical vehicles....my is a Feb 17, 04 build....LT loaded with 13k on it now and no problems....abeit the rear window shades!
  • bhw77bhw77 Member Posts: 101
    There are still plenty of 04'MAXX there I live.
    and prices are very low.

to ehelper: If I go with 04 - What the build dates should go from? How to find the that date? is it in dealers file/system?

Thank you
    bhw77; I looked at both "leather" and fabric seats when I purchased the Maxx. The "leather" may not be actual leather on the seat itself (I have heard a very high grade of leatherlike material is used instead - is this true ??).

Anyway, the "leather" tends to flatten the countours of the seat. This means the "leather" seat bottom has lower, more rounded bolsters, and the seat back has more rounded sides. I found the rounded bolsters and sides more uncomfortable than the cloths (they made the seat feel narrower), and that the cloth seat did a better job of keeping me from sliding around in occasional hard turns.

Wrt wear, I have seat covers on the cloth seats and, other than some linting from the covers, have not seen any wear on the cloth. The cloth is quite dense, in any event, and (as a result of one bunch of sloppy service techs) proved pretty easy to get grease stains out of.

For 2005 there are heated cloth seats, but I do not know how long the heaters will last (they will be hideously expensive to repair or replace if they break out of warranty - I was quoted $2-3000 to replace ONE seat).
    I think the seats MUST have leather on the parts your body touch that aren't Ultra-Lux. The window sticker on my LT says something about "leather" seats/seating surfaces/etc.

There are 2 leather/vinyl surfaces on our Maxx LT's seats, and it is very easy to tell the difference between the two. The surface on the areas where your body does not touch when sitting in the seat - these appear to be vinyl. The surfaces your body does touch when sitting in the seat - these surfaces seem to have a softer feel and a more grainy appearance, and I think they are leather.

I've owned a couple other midpriced ($18-25k) cars with leather interior, and I have always been able to distinguish between the leather and the vinyl. The vinyl may be a close approximation, but you can still see the difference. I can't speak for near-luxury or luxury vehicles' leather interiors, having never owned a vehicle in either class.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    ugh: now you are making me ill....I wish I had waited.....I bought fairly early since there was $4,000 being thrown at my feet, and I was worried I would not get that beautiful medium metalic gray. For sure, there would have been one less deer collision had I waited. Oh well; Monday morning quarterbacking won't deminish the fact that I love this car; and besides, pao had one, and wpharry was on the brink of getting one, so I had to get one!!!!
    After going through a few days of thunderstorms, I've noticed the headliner is wet where it meets the plastic trim on the rear corner windows and the glass(both sides). It can be seen from the drivers seat when looking back at both side windows. The dealer has searched for the leak using a garden hose and their autobody pressure washer and has come up with nothing. Anyone have this problem? e2helper, do you know where the water would have to come from to reach this area? This is a great concern of mine to own a car that leaks water every time it rains.

Also, anyone who is interested, look at their motor on the front valve cover, spark plug side as well as between the oil pan and tranny and post if you see oil leaks or residue.

Thanks!
    I don't have any experience in this area maddmaxx but I know your vehicle has a sunroof and I know there are draintubes from it that go down both front A-Pillars and rear "C" pillar to take water away from sunroof opening. Also there is also the rear glass panel on the Maxx which adds additional sealing point on roof. I am not familiar with any issues on either part but those are my 2 guesses.

I hate water leaks :(

My first vehicle with a T-Top had them constantly and roof of my house in several areas, grr.

If I come up with any better info I will post again.
    The car is still at the dealer and besides the wet headliner, I brought it in because the sunroof has not worked sinced they installed the new headliner. Best I could tell though, the sunroof was fully closed. By the way, since the new headliner was installed, the car rattles like an old car now. Why is it than when something is replaced, rattles like to follow? Is the C pillar the steel between the rear side glass and the hatchback? Another question, what is the yellow bolt thingy for that is attached to the jack? Thanks again!
    Do the rattles come from headliner/roof? Maybe some connection was missed which might explain sunroof being inop. There are a lot of trim pieces removed during a headliner replacement so if associated with some area behind a piece of interior trim then a clip might have been missed. There aren't many electrical connections for the sunroof though. Only 1 for the motor/electronics assembly and 1 for the switch up front (both have to be disconnected during a headliner replacement). Any possibility that leak only started happening after headliner changed? That would make me think about those drain hoses (although I am not sure why they would have be disturbed during a headliner replacement.

Yes the "C" pillar is the metal you mention. Vehicle has "A" (side of windshield) "B" (between front and rear doors) and "C" (between rear quarter window and hatch) pillars. These are very common engineering terms, sorry I slipped up and used them :)

In regards to the jack. There are a lot of pictures in owner manual but I think the one on page 5-75 explains it use. Looks like it is a special part used only when you are trying to stow a flat tire on Maxx only but I don't have an actual part available to look at to try to explain it any better.
    The rattles come from the front dome light assembly, the right front pillar trim, and the drivers lock trim (by the glass) when the car is cold. I've also had the rear hatch rattle when the car is hot which they said I would have to demo. Last time I took it in they checked the sunroof connections and said they were intact. Their adapter for the Tech II Scan tool was down and they said they had to have it to find out what the car was telling them about the sunroof not working. I first noticed the leak after the headliner change. However, I think that was the first time the car was in heavy thunderstorms for 3 days in a row. Thanks.
    Well, dome lamp assembly and right pillar trim could both be due to headliner replacement. The driver door lock trim is something else, of course.

Not that is is going to you help but as an FYI to any of you "techies": The Tech 2 won't tell them anything about sunroof operation. That function is completely stand-alone. The "adapter" they were talking about is likely the interface box called CANdi which allows the Tech 2 to communicate with your Malibu which "speaks" using the latest serial data "language" for GM vehicles called "GMLAN". The older "language" was called "Class 2" which the Tech 2 "speaks" without use of any adapter. Boring info I know :)

I don't have any first-hand experience troubleshooting a sunroof inop problems but my first thought would also be the switch which has a very small electrical connector with very small terminals. 2nd thought would be making sure power/ground to the sunroof motor assembly is OK.

The first thing diagnosis guide tells technicians to do is access the sunroof switch and manually jumpering (bypassing) it to see if sunroof will move

Good luck and let us know how things after next visit
  • madmadammadmadam Member Posts: 55
    I've been very happy with my 04--an LS with nothing extra. Mind was built in May 04--you'll find the build date on the inside of the driver's door. I also disliked the way the car looks in photos, but in fact it's quite attractive in real life. A friend just purchased a Grand Am and then saw my car for the first time yesterday--she's very impressed with how much more car I got for about the same money. Let us know what you decide to do.