Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Malibu Maxx

Comments

• rferdrferd Member Posts: 28
    I had the same problem with mine that the GM Owners site did not recognize my VIN. I called them and they added it.
  • medinamalibumedinamalibu Member Posts: 71
    Yer a cheeky one now, ain'tcha?

I'm not ashamed of my car now. I can say it makes me work to close the hatch, and I don't mind the eventual benefit in the form of broader shoulders. Best thing ever is when I pop the hatch from inside, then open and close my door... guess what happens? the hatch clicks shut again and makes me find that weatherproof handle to open it again! :D All in all, I'm proud to say that I own a normal Maxx.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    yep, that's normal, and I too love the workout the gate gives me :D
  • kjk2kjk2 Member Posts: 3
    Gee, I didn't mean to offend you. I just didn't understand what you meant in your email. Cool it!
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I'm kicking around the idea of canceling the GMPP on our 2004 Maxx LT. My reasons for doing so would be: 1) just to get the money back for this instead of having the money tied up in a warranty which is basically an insurance policy. 2) i overpaid by a few hundred bucks, and canceling would be one way to minimize the amount that I overpaid. 3) our Maxx has been relatively trouble-free so far in 1st 15,000 miles. 4) we may end up selling the Maxx and I'm not sure if the GMPP would provide enough extra value to the buyer for me to justify the cost of holding on to the warranty.

Questions:

1) What do you think of the wiseness of this idea?

2) Anybody know EXACTLY how the refund is calculated? The phone rep yesterday said it is based on time AND mileage, but I'm not sure exactly how they do it. We bought the 5 year / 90,000 mile GMPP with zero deductible. Car had 5,000 miles when we bought it. So we are covered thru 95,000 miles or 5 years. Car is at 15,000 miles now and we've had it 8 months, but it was a dealer car (driven by service mgr supposedly) for a few months before we bought it.

My rough calculations were: The GMPP warranty still has 75,000 miles left (90k - 15k), so that would suggest a refund of 83.3% minus the $50 administrative fee; OR still have 52 months left (60 minus 8), for a refund of 86.7% minus $50. Am I on the right track with these calculations? What I suggested seems like the logical and fair way to calculate it, but you never know what GM might come up with.

I also plan to do more math and determine if it might actually be cheaper to cancel the existing GMPP and buy one from Black's whose prices are better than what I paid. I know the rates are higher once the vehicle is used, so it might not be worth doing what I'm describing.

One thing I learned about the GMPP. I realize some folks already knew this, but I consider myself an educated consumer and I didn't know it: Don't buy until almost 12,000 miles. To me, it seems somewhat dishonest and borderline unethical for GM and its dealers NOT to tell customers that the coverage begins at the mileage when they have purchased. E.g. if you buy a 100k warranty when car has 0 miles, the warranty expires when the car has 100k miles. But if you wait and buy warranty when car has 11,999 miles-- you still get the 'new' GMPP rate and your coverage won't expire until the car has 111,999 miles. This could be in the ballpark of an extra year of coverage, and that makes a huge difference. Of course, the dealers all pressure you to buy one right there since they know it's their best chance to make sure you buy the warranty from them, not from someone else.
    Oh, I thought you were kidding! I'm sorry. I was just rambling about the hatch, obviously.
    well, if you are considering selling a car within the first 5 years, never buy an extended warranty. The manufacturer's warranty covers you for the first 3. It makes no sense to me to buy a warranty for essentially 2 years. Since it sounds like you are contemplating selling the car, I'd get a refund on your GMPP today. Warrantees are for people like me who keep their car 10 years. Over that period, my GMPP will get used. Whether it is used enough to cover my $1,700 cost + interest is yet to be seen. But on a first year GM model with this many electronics, I'm betting I made the right choice.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    That really paid off since everything on the car broke once :sick:

For the most part, though, these things are marked up 100% by the dealer and pay off at 25-30%. You can get a higher loss ration buying mechanical insurance with a deductable through a regulated insurance company. I don't do that either.
    yeah, I seriously don't recommend that anymore. I did the research on 3 AM Best A+ rated companies 2 years ago. Two of them are now out of business. Imagine that!!! I'd stay clear of after market companies at this point.
    thanks for the feedback.

based on hearing/reading the stories about some big automotive warranty companies going belly-up, i definitely would never buy one of those. at least not until the business climate in that area had changed drastically.

this GMPP was the first extended warranty we've ever purchased on a vehicle. with it being a first-year model, and a GM vehicle on top of that, i didn't like the prospect of being out of warranty after about 2 years (assuming 18,000 miles per year). so the 5 yr / 90k would provide an extra 3 years coverage. That's expensive coverage at $1,695 but at the time i didn't want to risk it. of course, i didn't realize i could have waited 6+ months and purchased the same warranty, extending the coverage longer because it starts when you buy the ext warranty, not when you buy the vehicle.

so far, the car has not been back to the dealer. there's a small list of issues to be resolved soon, biggest of which is what feels like warped rotors. other than that, the initial quality has been better than expected.
  • dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    Has anyone compared the Malibu LT to a similarly priced LaCrosse? I was going to buy a Malibu but after driving the LaCrosse I changed my mind. I'll order an '06 CXL with a few options.
    I didn't shop Lacrosse seriously at all, but it is an updated version of an old car whereas the Malibu is a more modern platform, in my opinion. Does that make the Malibu a better car? Not necessarily.

My impression was that Lacrosse was priced significantly higher vs. Malibu when similarly equipped. True? Not true?
  • christinadchristinad Member Posts: 34
    Hey! My first car was a beige 86 Ford Tempo. Everything broke on it, too (including the front axle (in half)) but I'd fix it and it would keep on ticking. I'm sure it's still on the road somewhere out there. :)

In other news...
    I'm going to pick up my Maxx today...FINALLY! I bought it almost a month ago! The dealer experience has been a nightmare. It took an act of Congress to have them ship my taxes and title to Vermont. I finally picked up the tags today. Another bad dealership with bad customer service. Still love the car and the price, though.
  • kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    You might want to post some of your comments over on the 'CAN GM SURVIVE LOOSING BILLIONS....." topic, where some folks seem to feel GM has no business trying to make dealers behave better.

But it's not just GM - I tried getting a simple question answered from Audi and their dealers about using chains on their A3. They ignored the query completely. At least GM told me the situation with the Maxx.

If you're getting an '04 Maxx be sure to go thru these forums and make sure all the issues get addressed. Biggest thing to watch out for is the steering columm. Other than that the Maxx is one of GM's nicer cars!
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    good luck with the new car..and welcome finally....hope you enjoy the ride....did you see the pics of the wood inserts I added..them finally!!
    Yep, I saw the pics. I'm going to install them in a couple of weeks.
    On another note, I remember some talk about the Maxx being made to accommodate a cabin air filter by taking the glove compartment out and sliding a filter with substantial wiring (so it doesn't move) behind the little door.
    I know some of you tried this. After a few months, have you had any problems? I think this would be an easy and helpful thing for me, being an allergy sufferer.
  • hickorydhickoryd Member Posts: 57
    After overcoming initial problems including "Pulls to Left", and 2 interior appearance items, my Maxx is meeting my expectations.
    Record milage at every fill-up: Always 28.something.
    Quiet cabin.
    Decent paint job.
    Haul 2x6x8' boards as well as 10 foot long pvc pipe home from Home Depot.
    New computer fit great on folded down left rear 66% seat and door opening was ample. Bought a pond kit (large box) then went grocery shopping and all the groceries fit under the adjustable rear shelf.
    Had the incident with the rear curtain not retracting. Dealer had to pull the headliner to fix it (children in back seat are bound to repeat that)
    Recently, with windows down, one shade jumped from retainer. May need to bring it in for that fix.
    AC is cold...it was 97 yesterday.
    Estimated fuel milage is always off by about 3 mpg. Used to it.
    Windshield has about 10 small surface chips, no cracks or holes. Seems like the windshield deals with stones by chiping. Every stone that hits the Expy creates a crack. Maxx has front end bug and stone deflector.
    Biggest complaint right now is it doesn't wash itself when it gets dirty, and it never self-vacuums.
    Hopes that it will be as durable as my 9 year old Contour that also still puts out ice cold air and everything in it still works.
    huh, my Maxx LS vacuums itself and serves frosty drinks on hot days. I'd have your's check out by the dealer ;)
    As for the instructions for inserting a cabin air filter, simply type those words (and/or my pen name) into the search engine to the left and pull up the instructions. It is very easy.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    Back in July 2000 I purchased a new, left-over '99 Camaro and opted for the GM extended warranty taking me to 5 years 60,000 miles. I believe my purchase price for that back then was approximately $850-900. After a year with the car, I decided to cancel the warranty and go for the prorated refund. Because the car was financed through GMAC, they did not send a refund check. They simply reduced my monthly payment to reflect the cancelation of the extended warranty. My payment went down approximately $8 per month, so they ended up giving me about $385 back for the warranty after only 1 year and 16,000 or so miles.

The GM extended warranty runs concurrent with the bumper to bumper and then kicks in after the bumper to bumper expires. In my case, even though I had only 16,000 miles on the car when I canceled the warranty, GM considers the extended warranty has already been "used" for 16,000 miles. To cancel the warranty you have to go to the dealer and they have to verify vehicle mileage and file the cancelation request for you. My experience has been that the prorations are not a straight calculation. They have a figure they use to determine how much of the warranty you have already used from a monetary standpoint and then they send/credit you the difference. It may be less than you expect to receive.
  • southcarolinasouthcarolina Member Posts: 19
    yesterday on I-77 about half way between Columbia and Charlotte. I'm starting to see a few of them around. My daughter even brought mine back and let me ride in it yesterday. But she's off to Charleston and the shore in it today. She reports that all her college friends thinks the Maxx looks weird but is really comfortable to ride in.
    Came on last night, I tightened the cap. Came on again today, I removed then replaced the cap. Gone tonight. :) for now. Otherwise, I'm coming up on 250 miles and love the drive. Yeah, got a 3-mile commute, which I'm not complaining about. DIC reads 15.3mpg on this tank so far, and it was pretty close on the first fill-up, so I'm led to believe that I'm getting a bit better in this car than in the old Buick LeSabre. :shades: Now for a real highway run-- oh yeah, I need to work to make the payments. :P
    Once the gas cap is properly tightened, the computer normally requires around 4 start/stop cycles before turning off the CEL. Glad it worked out for you.
    If you do a search of this topic via "cabin air filter" words, you'll find several suggestions as how to add a filter. The Maxx/Malibu makes it very easy. Simply drop the glove compartment door by gently pulling its sides inward, and you will see a small access door on the HVAC fan housing. Inside that, you can put either a cut down Filtrette furnace filter or - if you first insert a sturdy support mesh or grid - a Saturn ION cabin filter. (ironically, in the Saturn ION, that filter is quite difficult to replace).
    Thanks for the information.

"To cancel the warranty you have to go to the dealer and they have to verify vehicle mileage and file the cancelation request for you."

Funny, that is not what the GMPP guy told me over the phone the other day. Maybe things have changed since you did yours, or maybe he didn't tell me the whole story.

"They simply reduced my monthly payment to reflect the cancelation of the extended warranty. My payment went down approximately $8 per month..."

That's not what I am looking for - would much prefer the refund up front. Who knows how it might work in my case. We put about 20% down on the car. Obviously, it is in GM's interest to reduce the monthly payment, NOT to refund the remaining value.

"They have a figure they use to determine how much of the warranty you have already used from a monetary standpoint and then they send/credit you the difference. It may be less than you expect to receive."

This is what I was afraid of. It should be straightforward, but I bet it won't be. And any deviation from the straightforward/logical approach is sure to be in GM's favor.

I'll post again if I decide to go through with the cancelation.
  • rferdrferd Member Posts: 28
    On your message you indicate that your mas has a frond end bug and stone deflector. I have been looking for one but have not found one specific for the Maxx. Where did you get your?

Thanks.
  • juswheelsjuswheels Member Posts: 42
    This past weekend took my new Maxx in it's first road trip - Covered just under 800 miles - Much of the trip was through small towns and a good portion was through heart of the Green Mountains in Vermont - This car never missed a beat - The ride was outstanding and very quiet, even on 2 lane bumpy roads - Took the curves in the mountains with ease and I could pass "At Will" with excellent power and smooth shifts - Only took a very short time to get used to the electric steering - Found it to be effortless - Best of all got 30.8 MPG for the entire trip - Except that it needs a wash, can't find anything for the dealer to check - People don't know what they're missing !!!!!!!!!!! :):):)
  • billymaxxbillymaxx Member Posts: 12
    I had looked at the LaCrosse when shopping for the Malibu. It seemed to be marketed as a more luxurious car and I got the same impression when looking at it at the dealer. I didn't research it enough to compare features/quality vs. price but it seemed that the LaCrosse would be more money. My wife really wanted the LaCrosse but I told her that Buick is an old person's car (not meaning to offend anyone, just my impression of Buick's over the years. I am 32 and the wife is 28.) I was hoping that the LaCrosse was going to be different in body style that it would stand out from the rest of the other fuddy duddy Buick's but I was wrong. Looking at it from the rear it looks just like the Le Sabre.
  • bwolterbwolter Member Posts: 51
    For the hood deflector, go to www.autoseattle.com
    I got one from them and it's great.
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    >I got one from them and it's great.

Which one?
    this one

http://www.autoseattle.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=hd5H04

I too have one installed..you can see pics on my malibu website...

http://home.att.net/~p.oswald
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    Base prices cut substantially on LS and LT models. Great news! :-)

Malibu LS - $21,995
    Malibu LT - $22,470
    Malibu LTZ - $29,885
    Malibu SS - $29,885
    Malibu Maxx LT - $25,595
    Malibu Maxx LTZ - $31,495
    Malibu Maxx SS - $31,495
    I had an Elantra before purchasing the Maxx in February and was looking forward to the introduction of the new Sonata. I didn't get a chance to drive it, but did spend some time examining a Sonata GLS 4 cylinder on the dealer showroom:

Better than Maxx:
    1. Seat surfaces, although most people complain that they look like terry cloth seem slightly better than the Maxx LS. Neither look top flight.
    2. Haven't measured but it looks like there's a bit more hip room front and back.
    3. Dash, especially radio/HVAC stack looked better up close than in pictures, much better than the standard GM module. Not sure if Hyundai has all of the information contained in the GM information center. Fit and finish look better than Maxx. Automatic climate control, gauges nicer finished.

Worse than Maxx:
    1. Door pulls on Sonata were hard plastic and cheap. Maxx much better feel and texture. Both cars need more of these textures.
    2. Front headroom was better but this may have been because Sonata had sun roof.
    Rear headroom is also a lot better (not sure this would be the case with the 'Bu sedan)
    3. Front leg room seemed roughly equal. The Maxx had a lot more legroom in back and you can't beat all that flexibility of reclining seats.
    4. Somewhere in the Hyundai threads is a photo chop of a Sonata wagon. It looks great-- too bad it's not available. As it now stands the Sonata is every bit as slick as an Accord or Camry but it's no where as unique in its concept as the Maxx. The flexibility of the hatch plus the long wheelbase is hard to beat.
    5. Throw in the stonger (despite the complaints) dealer network that Chevy brings to the table, plus the low maintenance of the timingbeltless OHV engine (Hyundai may be going to a timing chain rather than belts on its new engines) and I think the Maxx edges the Sonata out. Especially since I only paid $16K for mine and the Hyundai is still selling as close to invoice-- something that should change shortly. Since you can get a Maxx V-6 for less than a Sonata 4 and since the Maxx gets great mileage for such a large engine the value equation (at least so far) favors the Maxx.

-- Many of the advantages of the Maxx are because of its layout and flexibility. I think I might pick a Sonata over a 'Bu 4-door sedan except for my experience with the local Hyundai dealer.

--Both cars seem to be as good or better than the Camcord. The Sonata seems to be much more polished than the previous car but is less imaginative. The 'Bu is a huge improvement over the previous generation although its styling (especially the front end clip) looks clumsy, but the Maxx is a wondefully flexible and unique looking car.

I'm glad I got the 'Bu.
    Both are great cars even more so with the current incentives. I decided on the Maxx for many reasons but the biggest reason was the extreme utility of the car. The LaCrosse can't come close in that respect. However, if you don't need the extra utility, it's an excellent choice. I did look at the LaCrosse but couldn't help thinking that the "base" LaCrosse seemed a little overpriced. I guess you pay a little extra for the Buick name :) (just kidding) Seriously, they are both very good cars and will give outstanding service. Congrats on your choice.
    The comment about your "Local Hyundai" dealer struck a cord with me. I also gave Hyundai a very hard look and lengthly test drive of the Sonata and Santa Fe. The new Sonta is as you describe, a very good car but the Santa Fe, is over-hyped. Spongy brakes, disappointing gas mileage and a lot of body roll when turning corners. The Equinox (and several others) handles better and gets much better mileage.

However, it was the Hyundai dealer that sent me racing back to Chevy. The Hyundai dealership was an absolute zoo. They were using every "trick" in the book to get you inside. Once there it was like trying to purchase from the guy on the corner with 25 watches on his arm. Unbelieveable that Hyundai would allow these tactics. As I said, it just sent me racing back to Chevy. So far, I'm very satisfied with my decision.
    The local dealer has regressed since I bought an Elantra in '01.

The most annoying ploy is to put an 18 (or they seem that young anyway), in your car for the test drive. Always seem especially annoying. Then you get: "How much to buy this car today?" If you say "I'm not interested" They counter with "How about $10,000? (the last time they tried this it was when the Tucson was introduced)."

Last time I whipped out my credit card and said "OK-- Ten grand, let's put it on there." At which point-- they back off. I got into a shouting match at that point with the sales manager accusing him of sleazy tactics.

To this you add the hundreds of dollars for undercoating and sealant that are on every car. It's not just Hyundai, the dealer also handles Saabs, VW's, Suzukis and Nissans.

My Chevy buying experience through the Internet was fast and professional. Absolutely no hassle.
  • maxxolivermaxxoliver Member Posts: 78
    I have an 04 Maxx LT and had a lot of trouble with the stereo, switching from the CD to the radio, turning itself off, freezing up and not playing, wouldn't eject and I even came out to the car to find the stereo playing on it's own. The dealer replaced the stereo three times and the receiver once. The problems ended in April when they finally replaced it with an 05 stereo. It has worked like a dream ever since.
    GM wants us to buy the (ugh) HHR instead? I'll pass.

Maybe GM could save the Maxx if they:

1. Dump FWD for mod version of Caddy's Sigma RWD powertrain and MANUAL trans,
    2. Use small block V8 (Southstar ?) - 350 hp and up,
    3. Chop roof 4 - 6".
    4. Lower car 2",
    4. Add 20" wheels with Lo-prof tires

VOILA...the Mini Chrysler 300! ;)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The 05 Malibu with the newly available chest and curtain airbag combo earned a good and best pick designation in the side impact test from the insurance institute. It is now safer in the side impact then all other cars in its price range except for the VW Jetta and beats many more expensive cars. Seems GM has finally caught on and is building much safer cars.
    The new side airbag made the difference. Structurally, there appears to be no change (the B pillar and roof deform as much as they did in 2004). The Jetta has a stronger structure.

Unfortunately, the airbag is not retrofittable to 2004 Maxxes, as far as I know. For 2004 side hits, the torso is not well protected but the head comes out ok, if you have side curtain bags. Without those, the car is rated poor.
  • boss2000boss2000 Member Posts: 3
    What do you think the base price for the SS models will be in the US? Doesn't Canada have very high prices on American autos?
    Well, though the mazda3 is supposedly selling well in Hatch format, and the Audi A3 "wagonette" also seems popular, hatches are currently out of vougue in the USA.
    Not sure why - hatches can be very attractive (save for the hatch cutting off rather abruptly, the Maxx's lines seem pretty good).

Wrt Volkswagen, the Jetta vastly outsells the Golf in the USA, while In europe and elsewhere, it's the other way around.

I had looked at the XB but its echo chassis and 108 HP engines were turnoffs. Still, the street set loves to dub the car. The Vibe/matrix were kinda nice but why Toyota put the weakest engine together with AWD was a total mystery.

The Maxx seems to have a nice amount of power for its size, especially at lower revs. And the flexibility helped sell me on it.
    their predictions have been off before. Anyone seen this rumor anywhere else (besides other forums quoting Edmunds)?
    I've finally taken possession of my new Maxx. Drove it from South Carolina to Vermont (saw a grand total of 3 other Maxxes over the 1066-mile trip) yesterday. Great gas mileage. Awesome power. My only complaint is that the enormous C pillars really impair the view out the back end. Made interstate driving a hassle, but I adjusted and learned to use my mirrors much more.
    Hope this car gives me many years of great service. I plan to keep it until 2012 at least. Sorry to hear GM's making such a terrible decision to stop production. :confuse:
    I've never seen the Maxx mentioned by any St. Louis dealer in newspaper ads. Since they're pushing the Malibu as a brand they show only the base 'Bu's for $14K or so.
    On a different note, I checked the Saturn ION cabin filter I had installed in the Maxx HVAC fan chamber about 6-8 months ago. It's turned jet black and was full of dust and dirt. Vacuuming/lightly hitting it against a surface removed a little of the dust, but it will have to be replaced.
    Meanwhile noted a few insects stuck against the HVAC air intake screen inside the housing - will brush those off when the cabin filter is replaced.

The filter definitely keeps a lot of dirt from getting blown into the cabin!
    Kurt...can you outline the details of that HVAC filter install again for us..or the message number that outlines it..thanks
  • drejdrej Member Posts: 119
    Cabin Filter ! Great Idea. Can You repost the procedure Please!
    D~
    Ok...here is the procedure. Please understand this I take absolutely _no_ responsibility for any damage that may occur to your MAXX / Malibu if you try this! So far, for me, it has worked very well.

1. Open glovebox door, and gently pull in the glovebox drawer sides so that it pops past the dashboard trim and hangs straight down.
    2. You will now see the HVAC fan housing and a small rectangular door in its upper front. A small latch above the door can be pushed upward, causing this door to drop down. Once it's open, you will see the inside of the HVAC fan cavity, including fan and a screen leading to the outside of the cabin. (note...there are screw holes in this door that suggest the door was intended to be screwed shut, but on my Maxx, screws were never installed).
    3. Inside this cavity, it is possible to install a SATURN ION cabin filter (about $27 or so) if you first make a "floor screen" for the filter to rest on (this helps the filter fit the cavity, and prevents the fan from inhaling the filter into its blades).
    One way to make this "screen" is to get a WEB furnace filter from your favorite hardware store, and trim its plastic rectangular grille so it fits into the bottom of the HVAC fan cavity.
    4. Once you have the "screen floor" slid into place, slide the Saturn ION cabin filter over it and into the cavity with the filters' Airflow indicator pointing down.
    5. Now close the HVAC door, push the latch back down to lock the door closed, and lift the glovebox drawer and door back into place.

Voila - your Maxx cabin now has filtered air. Depending on how much dust you drive through, you may need to change it within as little as 5K miles, but mine lasted for about 10-12K in a dusty desert environment.
    It may be possible to trim furnace filters to fit, but keep in mind they were not designed for automotive use or environments.
    Good luck!
  • maxxlibertymaxxliberty Member Posts: 82
    Any links to confirm that the Maxx is going away? Edmunds or others.
    http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106179

is the article regarding the ending of the Maxx.