Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Auto collectibles and paraphernalia...

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,093
    I like Biscaynes of the '60's better than Bel Airs. They always just put a side strip of stainless smack down the middle of the side of the Bel Air, no matter where the natural feature lines of the car were..
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    This stuff and the blog topic got me to remembering that I used to collect model car promos, those plastic, already put together 1/24 scale ones when I was a kid. Had a couple dozen from the early and mid sixties. No Chevy's, but they included a 61 Pontiac convertible, 62 Buick coupe, 64 Grand Prix and 65 Bonneville convertible. When I got holiday or birthday money I'd go down to the hobby shop and pick one. I think they were two bucks or $2.50 back then. I gave them to some younger cousins when I left home for college and they ended up being used as toys. I'm reminded of that blunder every couple of months when I receive my copy of Collectible Automobile magazine and look at model market values today. Now I've made a few bad stock investments over the years, but on a strictly lost return on investment basis, this was probably the worst decision I ever made! At least the model planes I put together from kits didn't really retain much value, so they didn't repeat the lost potential gains.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,136
    edited December 2011
    I have a few promos in my pile of junk (too lazy for proper pics)

~48 International:

63 Galaxie and 62 T-Bird:

I had a few more in the past, including a 49 Ford, but I sold them when I was younger. Some of the real muscle car promos can bring good money.
    Around 1960, Tootsietoy noticed the huge and sudden success of Matchbox cars, and issued some challengers. The crudity of these makes the Matchbox models look like precise miniatures.

The tootsie 60 Caddy:

And the lovely Matchbox Caddy:

I had one similar to that 63 Ford XL convertible, but I think it was a bit more beige. Always liked that car for some reason.
    I got to thinking about the 63 full sized Ford and maybe I'm fond of it because it looks like something Bill Mitchell would have done if he designed a Ford in those days. Clean styling, good looking, but still retaining a bit of that Ford heritage like the big round tail lights. I thought the previous 61 and 62 Ford's were a bit dull in comparison.
    edited December 2011
    When I was a pre-driving teen (early 90s), I wanted a 63 Galaxie XL convertible for my first car. There was a dark red one languishing under a carport a few blocks from my house...I was smitten for some reason, I wanted to rescue that thing, but of course, not for sale. I drove by it years later and the house was empty.
    I remember a house I used to walk by in high school that had a mid sixties Mercury Marauder fast back. Nice looking car for its time and kind of unique. Then one day it too was gone...kind of like some girls you had a crush on in school and who knows where they are or what they look like today!
    edited January 2012
    I recently got this in the mail - the official AMG calendar, shipped directly from Affalterbach. It's big, about 17"x29" I think, and very high quality. This year is a 45th anniversary theme with Nurburgring scenes and various cars shown each month.

• boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Very nice, was it free?

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Yep. The "Private Lounge" gives a pile of them away each year.
    I got this piece of ephemera in the mail this morning, a poster issued by the AMG Private Lounge, which is the MB sanctioned AMG owners group. It's a mosaic of the C63 coupe made up of tiny pictures of invididual members cars - my E55 is among them:

edited February 2012
    Got another American car Matchbox:

1961 Ford police car, issued in 1963 and made for only 3 years. This is an early model probably made in 1963. It's a decent casting of an odd car:

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,704
    Now you just need a pickup so you can re-enact 'This here's an emergency vehicle, too!' from Andy Griffith...
    I was thinking of the Andy Griffith connection, as well as the cop car that lost its rear end in "American Graffiti".

There was also a fire chief car based on the same casting, I don't have that one yet - one went for $120 on ebay today, some collectible markets remain healthy.
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    I'm surprised Matchbox didn't capitalize on the success of the Andy Griffith Show and make this a Mayberry Sheriff's car.
    I like '61 Fords, mostly the Starliner hardtop. I'd never seen this Matchbox before.
    2024 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray 2LT; 2019 Chevrolet Equinox LT; 2015 Chevrolet Cruze LS
    edited February 2012
    Matchbox didn't have any character related tie-ins that I can remember until maybe the late 70s. Corgi was the big 60s character toy maker, with Batman and the rest of the comics later, Green Hornet, James Bond, etc.

Eventually I will hunt down a copy of the red 61 Ford fire chief car. I've limited my collection in scope, and I don't need a huge amount of models to get to a stopping point - sadly the amount of money required is somewhat inverse to the number of cars.

Dinky had a nice 61 Ford (scale ~ 1:43) and they along with Corgi had a large amount of American cars:

That's a really nice Ford! Where do you find these Dinky cars and what prices can one expect to pay for a nice example like that one! I'm sure they have some Cadillacs and Buicks I would absolutely love.
    edited February 2012
    The Ford is not mine, just a pic from the internet. Most of these cars, boxed, go for maybe $75-150 apiece.

Here are some American cars you might like. Dinky and Corgi had a huge lineup, most of these were available in numerous paint schemes:

And even a fintail:

edited February 2012
    Thanks for the great postings. The detail and proportions on the 220 looks about the best of all of them.

I have a Corgi Wagonaire camera car, with a cameraman in back. It's a darkish turquoise, not unlike the Matchbox Wagonaire. UPI did buy a bunch of those and there are photos on the 'net of cameramen in the back just as shown in the toy here.
    I included the Studebakers on purpose :shades:

I like the various finned Mopars the most, they seem well proportioned and are cool. I think some collectors specialize in those alone. Those diecast firms had a mild fetish for American cars, which in the 50s were far ahead of most Euros, styling wise.
    Last week I found a fair deal and bought the other version of the Matchbox 1961 Ford:

Those 61 Ford's were so plain compared to the Chevy, but then compared to the Plymouth...
    They make me think of the police car losing its rear end in "American Graffiti".
    I enjoyed that movie from the cars to the music to the DC-6 taking off at the end. The 58 Impala was one of the stars along with the T-Bird. And yeah, Ford's of that era were very common police cars.
    Philadelphia tried using Ford Falcons as police cars in the early 1960s. Unfortunately, they weren't durable enough for the task. Here's an unusual survivor:

edited March 2012
    Those cars must have had many who didn't like them. I remember when my dad brought a Fairlane into the hobby car stable in the 90s, my grandpa heard about it, thought he got a Falcon, and went off about how bad they are.
    Seems the PPD quickly went back to full-size cars. Here's a 1968 full-sized PPD cruiser:

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The Falcon fire dep't car would be okay for a really slow fire...something smoldering perhaps.
    edited March 2012
    That's more like it, although for late 60s-early 70s police cars, I think mopar.
    Two Falcon memories: In '64, my Dad wanted to get rid of our rusty but trusty '56 Chevy Two-Ten 2-door sedan. I can clearly remember going with him and my older sister to the Ford dealer, where Dad was trying to decide about a two-year old Falcon or a two-year old Fairlane. Even at that tender age of six (my sister was 13), we were like, 'Ewww, Falcon!'. Dad bought the Fairlane as it had seat belts (apparently aftermarket) but I don't remember us ever using them! It was the last Ford Dad ever owned, BTW. I also used to really enjoy the TV show "The Wonder Years", as main-character Kevin was supposedly two years older than me. They were at a Ford dealer in '69 in one episode, and the rest of the family saw a red Mustang in the showroom while the music to "2001, A Space Odyssey" played! Hilarious! Then the Dad says to the salesman, "Got any Falcon wagons?" The entire rest of the family mouths in disgust, "Falcon wagon??". They ended up with a Custom 500 4-door sedan.
    That was a great show.

Here's the big Ford:

In the earliest episodes, the dad had this 63 Impala:

And Wayne's Corvair:

That green 1969 Galaxie looks exactly like a car my cousin Steve owned back in the day!
    I always thought Wonder Years was a great show too. Well written and kind of reminded you of life in middle class suburbia back then. Another TV show that has a great variety of vehicles, but they are mid fifties, is the old Highway Patrol series with Broderick Crawford. Actually, very well written for their time as well.
    I loved Wonder Years...in fact its finale was excellent but was completely overshadowed by the 'Cheers' finale, which I thought stunk.

The only thing about "Wonder Years' is that they played very loose with accuracy....showing a '68 Dodge Polara wagon and repeatedly calling it a '61, playing music that hadn't been recorded yet at the time of that episode, etc. Don't they think people notice that stuff? That said, I always enjoyed it. A family dynamic (at least the Mom and Dad) not unlike my very own back then!
    Yeah, a lot of movies and TV shows do that too. I always liked the cars on the street in "Leave It To Beaver" and 'Beverly Hillbillies' because I kind of like some of the old Mopars (although the first year of 'Beaver" was Fords) While Andy Griffith always had a Ford, that show showed a lot of different makes as well in the street scenes (and Aunt Bea was a Studebaker fan in real life, right?). I thought the worst finale was "Seinfeld". The Johnny Cochran lawyer would have got them off on some outrageous technicality.
    I remember what bugged me about "Wonder Years" is that you could see modern cars in the background, like a block or two away from the main location. I guess that's what you get for not filming on a back lot.

The Seinfeld finale was terrible, what a way to go.
    Found another desired car, this time not an American model, but still a nice piece of workmanship:

This model with grey wheels/tires and early release box, is from 1962. Amazingly delicate casting in the wheels and pillars, with pretty paint too - they don't make em like this anymore.
    Very, very nice...both the Matchbox and the real thing.
    I'm sorry... :-O !!! This must be the 'Hummel' effect, rare = valuable, I guess...
    Some Matchbox collectors are fanatical. I was expecting the Cougar to bring more, actually

Some toy cars are worth more than their real life counterparts
    What's doubly bizarre is that this model is expensive not because it is rare in itself but because it's in a rare color. Is this for real? I can't imagine someone spending that much for a production glitch.
    For toys like this, variations are the rarity, primarily paint and wheels. A normal yellow mint in box version of that car would be lucky to hit 1% of the value of the red car.
    this sounds like the tulip bubble all over again. One day, a group of people are going to wake up, point to that little yellow toy, and say: "Wait a minute, this isn't worth $10,000!"

And suddenly, it won't be.
    Actually, I suspect that car was worth more 20 years ago than now - the internet redefined the market for most collectors, bringing once unknown items out of closets and attics for the world to see. All it takes is two fanatics.
    True--for something this esoteric--something that has no inherent value--you need a very trained and knowledgable audience. If it were a real car, or a work of art, well at least that would always be there no matter what anyone thought...but with this, if the audience grows gray and goes away, I don't see the next generation taking this up, at least not at these prices.

I suppose it's like comic books--but I think comic books have a much wider fan base...dunno...
    I'f I'm spending $900 on a car model, it's going to be one of those super-detailed ones, or maybe three of them...
    That will eventually be the undoing of the market - when the boomers start kicking off. I don't see many under 40 collecting 50s-60s era toy cars. The next generations won't have the nostalgia nor the disposable income. But, they aren't too old yet, so there will be a few decades of stable prices for vintage diecast.

I think the fan base might be larger than comic books, as it is global - people collect the toys in Asia, Europe, and the Americas. I don't see it acting like modern baseball cards, which are worthless now.