Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Auto collectibles and paraphernalia...

Comments

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Member Posts: 16,026
    Thanks for posting all this, especially the German-made '53 which I (ahem) see is still for sale at that asking price! ;)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    you could buy a REAL one for that price!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602887
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,072
    Most ebay "buy it now" prices for vintage items tend to be expressions of first amendment rights :shades:
    edited January 2013
    Sad about the Chrysler Museum. The College Football Hall of Fame in South Bend has closed and is moving, which is a real shame. Luckily, the Studebaker National Museum is still doing well per their quarterly updates I get as a member...although, they still sure ask me for money regularly! ;)

I've got to believe the archives helps them out a good bit...build sheets, and blueprints also, even for many Packards pre-merger.
    I finally got a decent copy of Dinky 186, this one with apparently rare (for the model) white tires:

I like this model, as it is a good match for my car:

Geez, you couldn't get any closer! Good for you! I was always delighted with the Matchbox Wagonaire. If I had something as close to one of my actual Studebakers, though, I'd be giddy!
    edited April 2013
    It seems Dinky used my color as their basis. I am not complaining - it's cool to have with the car.

I've never seen a toy of a later Lark/Daytona, but I once had one of these HO scale Larks - this company also made Hawks and Avantis, IIRC:

The British had a fascination with the Wagonaire, here's a Corgi/Husky variant - this one was made in a few different paint schemes, this one as a TV camera car:

Dinky made several Studebaker models, and both firms had Hawks. It might make sense as some the Stude lineup had what one can argue kind of a European feel to it.
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for posting; I had not seen those early Larks before. I do own a yellow Corgi Wagonaire camera car just as you pictured. Matchbox actually got the location of the front fender emblem more-correctly than Corgi. UPI bought a fleet of Wagonaires for camera cars and there are pics on the internet that look like they could have been the inspiration for the Corgi toy.

I have an "Eko" HO-scale Gran Turismo Hawk, made in Spain. It looks like this one but is red (although it does have the silver decklid overlay so must be a '62 or '63):

http://studebakertoys.homestead.com/files/ekohwkwh.jpg

I so wish that Fairfield or Danbury Mint would do a GT Hawk. They've done just wonderful Golden Hawks and Packard Hawks--they'd be halfways there.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    Re: those Wagonaire camera cars - they must have beefed up the rear suspension, imagine the weight of all that stuff+cameraman!
    The Matchbox is a finer casting IMO. Also not terribly rare, a must-have if you own the real thing.

I am surprised Brooklin Models hasn't made a GT Hawk either. They've made a few Studes, including an early Lark. They aren't as precise as some models, but they have their charm, and are well made.
    edited April 2013
    "Re: those Wagonaire camera cars - they must have beefed up the rear suspension, imagine the weight of all that stuff+cameraman!"

I'd say you're right. In this link, page down just a little bit, and there's a photo of a lineup of press Wagonaires with guys and cameras in the back, and they don't look like they're sagging too much to me, but I'd say most likely "heavy duty suspension" option:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?61138-1964-press-camara-wa- - - gon&highlight=United+Press

BTW, just stumbled on this old color '63 Wagonaire ad I'd never seen before (page down; red car). The ad is humorous and exaggerates the car's benefits, but I like it:

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-selling-t- - - he-63-studebaker-wagonaire/

Make mine an R2 4-speed!

Speaking of that, on our club forum, before we had to post our real names, one guy used to post under the name "Am Not, R2" which I think is pretty funny.
    edited April 2013
    Since we had talked Wagonaires, I thought it was funny to go out to my mailbox today and find a huge '64 Wagonaire postcard (ebay link is the exact postcard), with "Bill, thought you might like this one! Be well, Mimi and Ed", written on the back. Sent to me from my hometown Stude dealer! I bet I was the only Studebaker postcard-receiver this month in the U.S. that got a real Studebaker postcard in the mail...from a Studebaker dealer! LOL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-STUDEBAKER-WAGONAIRE-GIANT-POSTCARD-NOS-9X6-/261046- - 339366
    I saw this on Jalopnik today

:shades:
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    So did it have a 4 cent stamp on it - just kidding!
    Now if it had that short-lived air suspension system from back then, it might have been pretty new when it "dropped".
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Heck, I wouldn't allow something as beautiful as that 1958 Cadillac to die.
    I posted that as much for the author as for the pic. When that book was printed, a 58 Caddy was just another junky used car that was way too thirsty for what people imagined in the future.

A 58 Caddy with air suspension would be pretty cool. The 58 Caddys wear the gingerbread better than other 58 GM cars.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The car matched the title--how could the author resist punning on the word "drops"?

Ah, that was a much simpler world back in the 1980s.
    Last Sat. evening I went to an annual 'cruise' in Mayfield Village, OH, where the typical draw is 800-1,000 cars and I'd say there definitely was that many. Beautiful weather. Two folks from our Ohio Region Studebaker Drivers' Club brought their '64 Daytona convertibles--one black, one white, both in beautiful shape--2 out of 703 production!

But what I'm posting about is--there was a '57 or '58 Cadillac Sixty Special where from about halfways down on the rear door, down and back, the car was entirely chrome! Even my friend with the '62 Coupe deVille said, 'too much chrome'. I'll have to look online for a pic to see if it was a '57 or '58. I'm thinking it had four headlights.
    Did you see Wally and the Beaver while you were in Mayfield?
    I'll tell you, this part of Mayfield was way more congested than the Cleavers' street!
    edited July 2013
    A couple new additions to my hoard:

First, this Jag 3.8 - with these wheels and box, probably made in 1964. I already have one, but I got it for a decent price on a lucky bid, couldn't pass it up:

And a rarity I have wanted for some time. I spent a bit on it, but they only come around so often. A Ford Zodiac convertible, this model was introduced in 1957. But this variant is from the final production run, with this style box and silver wheels, probably in the second half of 1961. Not a lot of these out there:

These might be it for my toy cars of 2013.
    edited March 2014

While looking at junk online, I came acrossed this oddity - now I need to find one.

1961 marked the 75th anniversary of the Daimler and Benz cars, and Germany issued stamps for the occasion. This first day cover shows a fintail (with somewhat exaggerated fins) to show what was new and modern.

Shouldn't be expensive, most first day covers are worth no more than a few dollars.

I recently bought a pile of models, and in the lot was this oddity:

edited June 2014

Hey boomchek, are you still collecting diecast with your son? There's a ton of 80s era material in the collection I recently bought, and I'll be selling it at very good prices. Here's some of the mostly 80s Matchbox out of the lot - you probably had some of these in your own childhood fleet, as did I:

Let me know if you're still in the market, I have a lot of other stuff too, and virtually all of it is mint - would like to see it go to a good home.

edited June 2014

@fintail said:
    I recently bought a pile of models, and in the lot was this oddity:

Is that a 1963 Imperial?

Yep, from the relatively short lived Lone Star-Impy line.

They also made a fintail:

@lemko said:
    Is that a 1963 Imperial?

I recently bought a bunch of 70s-80s diecast, with some more unusual brands. In the lot is this Majorette 733i.

I knew I had seen the car before, then I remembered where:

Biff's using Turtle Wax liquid on that man's ride? I stopped using that stuff when I was a senior in high school. I've been using Mother's California Gold or Meguire's since.

Product placement.

Did Meguiars have a presence then? I don't remember them until the late 90s. I've used Meguiars pretty exclusively since.

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,669
    edited July 2014

Good Pathe of Matchbox making - I wish I still has several they show!

youtube.com/watch?v=-DRbgYLhc4Y

I visited "Wilkinson's Automobilia" today, a longtime seller of models and literature. I didn't find any models, but I found a German language fintail book. In it was a section about fintail models, and it listed one I've never seen before:

Yep, I need it.

They also had a good selection of "Neo" models, who make a lot of 70s-80s American cars. Some from other makers too, some cool castings. Lemko needs one of these:

I want this model!

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,638
    fintail said:

I posted that as much for the author as for the pic. When that book was printed, a 58 Caddy was just another junky used car that was way too thirsty for what people imagined in the future.

A 58 Caddy with air suspension would be pretty cool. The 58 Caddys wear the gingerbread better than other 58 GM cars.

Years ago, I remember seeing a political poster. It was a drawing of the White House, but made to look junked up. There was a '58 Cadillac sitting in front, up on blocks. A caption across the poster read "Foah Moah Yeahs" or something like that. I thought it was a slam against Clinton. Turns out, it was a slam against Carter! :p

edited December 2014
    wow, looks very good. Those appear to be from a company called "GLM" - they have a list of oddball models

Some are better than others. This caught my eye:

This caught my eye:

Interesting that this relatively weird stuff is coming into production.

lemko said:

I want this model!

I bet a junky 58 Caddy was a $50 car then, even if a convertible.
    andre1969 said:

<

Years ago, I remember seeing a political poster. It was a drawing of the White House, but made to look junked up. There was a '58 Cadillac sitting in front, up on blocks. A caption across the poster read "Foah Moah Yeahs" or something like that. I thought it was a slam against Clinton. Turns out, it was a slam against Carter! :p

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hm, this house came with a dead Dustbuster. Maybe I can repurpose it as a car model.
    A Pontiac or Chevy? In BTTF 2015, those are collectible, keep it a little longer and it might be sought after :)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited December 2014
    I'd go with the Lumina for it's better "looks". The vac kind of resembles the Silhouette more though. All in all, would rather have the Bug in Sleeper.
    edited December 2014
    I think the dustbusters were an original design. I drove one once, and like anything, after a week I'd have probably been used to the top of the dash. I liked the very-last ones, with more of a normal nose and the Beretta Z-26 wheels, best. They invented power sliding doors and the modular seating that came out.
    I remember when the magazines were hyping the dustbuster, and hinting at an AWD model, my dad wanted one. The finished product wasn't as attractive, and he didn't ever get one. My paternal grandparents had a later one with those Beretta wheels, though.
    ...and the composite body panels were a good thing I think. I still see them around rusty NE OH and they look decent. In fact, the paint adhesion seems better than some, say, Corsicas and Berettas of the same period.
    Dustbusters were typical GM innovation of those days - good enough idea, not the best execution.

When I think "1991 Corsica", for some reason I picture a white one with big pieces of paint falling off, primer exposed underneath.
    I had a '90 Corsica in charcoal gray I bought new and it sat outside all the time. It didn't do it, but I think certain colors did and others didn't.
  • omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    For anyone who remembers the old Roach T Shirts from the 60s/70s, here's a link promoting their General Motors Vintage Collection. A friend in my HS freshman class used to wear the GTO Tee but I had to have the Chevelle Freak. My family once had a '66 Chevelle. Starting in HS I used to cruise around with a friend who drove a '64 Chevelle and the girl across the street had a boyfriend who drove a ('65?) Chevelle SS 396

I liked the later ones too.. At least until the Colonnade gen. Never did like that body style. By the time I was in my senior year, the brother of the girl across the street also drove a Chevelle. But it was a '74 model I think and painted a chalky green.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • boomchekboomchek Member Posts: 5,516
    Hi fintail, sorry been away from Edmunds busy with work life etc.... Yes still collecting die casts but the problem is my son wants to bang up all of them, even though my older matchbox I try to keep them hidden and let him play with them from time to time. If you still have some for sale I can always look and see if it's something I don't have and can meet with you next time I'm south of the border for one of my gas/costco/outlet shopping trips.

2016 Audi A7 3.0T S Line, 2021 Subaru WRX

Hey nice to see you again. Hope you've been well. Sounds like you need to hit the flea markets and get him some pre-loved models. I sold off the 70s and 80s era stuff I had accumulated, made some collectors our age who remember those models from youth very happy. If you haven't seen it, visit "Live and Let Diecast" sometime, it's a fun forum.

I'll probably go to the Van auto show this year, too. Should be less painful than shopping in Bellingham with the current state of the Loonie :)

boomchek said:

Hi fintail, sorry been away from Edmunds busy with work life etc.... Yes still collecting die casts but the problem is my son wants to bang up all of them, even though my older matchbox I try to keep them hidden and let him play with them from time to time. If you still have some for sale I can always look and see if it's something I don't have and can meet with you next time I'm south of the border for one of my gas/costco/outlet shopping trips.

When I was a kid, many mostly just played with those plastic 1/24th scale models and promo's like other toys. The one's that were taken care of and kept are worth some money these days.