Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• raaaraaa Member Posts: 1
    what model of EX-L r you looking for.

I also live in NJ and shopping for a 2010 crv-ex (w/o leather & w/o navi)

eprice - 22900+ doc fees + destination charges.

any thoughts.
  • mag12mag12 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am planning to buy ex-l 4 wheel drive with leather and without navigation.

ya if u see , both of us have got 500 dollars less than the invoice. most of them gave me the same price.

which dealer are you working with ?
  • jjf101jjf101 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am thinking to get a 2011 cr-v SE. The sticker price is around $22700 in my area. What do you think is a reasonable price for it? Do I have to pay the sticker price because it's a 2011? Thanks!

jjf
  • eruditereseruditeres Member Posts: 9
    No please, do even think sticker [horrified look in my face]. I once bought an Odyssey a tad below 'invoice' within a week of new model shipment. You lose the battle if you let dealer plant in those ideas (this car sells well, we do not have to discount, blah, blah, they will come around). If you can, bypass the salesperson a the desk. They will chase you away at a price that is still higher than what the dealership management is willing to accept.
  • eruditereseruditeres Member Posts: 9
    This is what I would do if they ask sticker... slam the salesperson hard, then crack their fingers like Steven Seagal (Under siege fame). When they ask, wide eyed, "who are you?" reply "Me? I'm just the cook!"
    ;-)
  • jjf101jjf101 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your advise! I will see what price I can get ;)
  • jyoung28jyoung28 Member Posts: 1
    Hi mag12,

I just bought my 2010 CR-V EX-L with Urban Titanium color two nights ago. I bought a 2WD as I live in Georgia. Are your quotes for 2WD or 4WD? It will make a difference. Invoice for the 2WD is $24,646 and for the 4WD is $25,806. That is what the dealer paid for the car. But, Honda dealers get a 2% holdback from the factory when they sell the car. Most dealers don't share their holdback, but sometimes they might. So, the real cost to the dealer for the 2WD is $24,153 plus destination fee (my region was $750). Additionally, a fair profit for most dealers is 3%. This allows them to pay their bills, etc. So, $24,153 * 1.03 = $24877.59. Then add the destination fee (I'll use my $750 for the example to take the total to $25,627.59. This is where most dealers that are offering you a fair price will start their offers. From there, if you spend time getting multiple quotes online, you should be able to get many of them to cut 1 to 2 percent off of the cost. It looks like you did that to get your $25,000 quote. It is a good price. However, if you spend a little time trying, you might find a dealer who doesn't mind breaking even or suffering a slight loss on the car. We found two dealers in our area that would do so. The main thing is to widen your search and not mention a price you will pay, just tell the other dealers what your best quote is currently, and ask them if they would like to put foward their best quote. We used www.carwoo.com to do this, then I called some of the big dealers in Atlanta. We found two that offered me an out the door quote at $26,697, which when you subtract tax, tag, and title comes out to be around $24,500 (inclusive of the destination charge).

Hope that helps. Nice choice of color. We love the car!
  • auntieandiauntieandi Member Posts: 2
    I'm trying to find a good Internet price for a 2010 EX out the door after tax, licensing, title, and all other fees in LA county. Anyone have any good ideas of what numbers I should be looking for? Thanks...
  • scammy1scammy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

Can anybody tell me what a good OTD price is for a 2010 CR-V LX 4WD in the northwest indiana area.

Thanks in advance
  • bernieismycatbernieismycat Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2010 FWD EX-L+navi in the San Francisco Bay area.

I priced the car at 2 dealers and was quoted the invoice price ($27285) at both of them with no negotiation. This was better than the TMV price ($27,839). But there was lots of 2010 CR-V inventory at local dealers so I thought I could do better.

I hate the new car negotiation process, so I decided to try an auto broker for the first time. I used Cartelligent in Sausalito. They got me the car for $500 under invoice (plus TTL) from Walnut Creek Honda. They charged $300 for their service, so I saved $200. However, the value to me of eliminating the new car negotiation process was priceless!

This is my 2nd Honda (I traded in my 2005 Accord V6) and my first CR-V. I love it!
  • jfish2jfish2 Member Posts: 1
    You guys should check out the AMEX ZAG website with a zip code of 92354 (Loma Linda, CA). They are showing a 2010 CR-V LX 4WD for $20,723 or an EX for $22,879. This is the lowest price I have found for a 2010.
  • miamicrv1miamicrv1 Member Posts: 66
    Believe it or not there is not one Hyundai Tucson GLS in the state of Florida to be had so I'm on to my second choice.
    I'm going down to see Brahman Honda on Monday. Over the phone they mentioned being able to get me into a 2010 CRV-EX, 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year at $310/month, nothing down not including tax and license.
    Any advice on both what I should offer for car and if there are any better lease deals out there?
    TMV has a price of $23,577 and Amex has $23,348. I think they both may be high given that the 2011s should be here soon
  • dolphinedolphine Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2010
    I tried to buy my first Honda.
    They said they don't have 2011 model yet.
    I liked 2010 Honda CRV EXL AWD with navigation.
    I'm in SF bay area, what is good price to negociating? anyone bought recently?
    Thanks.
  • sellmorehondassellmorehondas Member Posts: 62
    Do you have a leased CRV? You might be in a good position to get out of the lease early and trade into a new vehicle. Take the extra time to compare lease buyout versus market value.
  • pjbl13pjbl13 Member Posts: 2
    Need some advice.
    I am seriously looking at two 2008 EX-L CRV's
    1) 2WD; 27Kmiles for 19K
    2) AWD; 23Kmiles with roof rack and fog lights for 22.5K
    After seeing some of the problems on the forum with the AWD, I'm hesitant, although it is in better overall looking condition and would be nice in the rain and snow - I live in CA
    Obviously the 2WD is less, but is the AWD a good addition or asking for problems?
    Thanks!!
  • jcihakjcihak Member Posts: 60
    The only reason I bought a CRV instead of a Mazda5 or other minivan type vehicle was the AWD. If you don't want AWD I think there are better choices out there.

There is always more maintenance and probability of a failure (and lower mpg) with AWD/4WD. But, if you look at the Consumer Reports reliability of CR-Vs they are pretty good.
  • gwenakinyigwenakinyi Member Posts: 1
    So everyone tells me that the great thing about Hondas is that they retain their value. Our lease is almost up on a 2008 CR-V, and our payoff amount is $15,900. The private party resale value for this car is approximately $19,000. I don't want to keep the car, but I also don't want to lose the equity I have in it, so I'd like to buy it and resell it via Craigslist or newspaper ads. But what is the likelihood of a private party financing a vehicle for this price from a private seller? A bank's interest rates will likely be higher than the promos offered by a dealership for a new car. Doesn't it seem more likely that a person would buy a new car for a lower interest rate, for about the same monthly payment? I'd really love some feedback on this, particularly from anyone who bought and then resold their leased vehicle. Was it more trouble than it was worth?
  • pjbl13pjbl13 Member Posts: 2
    Depending on your model and miles you may not get 19K.
    I'm buying a used one and getting financing thru my Credit Union at a pretty good rate.
    I've tried dealers and they are not budging much on price, so buying a new even at a goot rate, may not be that great a payment.
    But, be sure on the "open market" that you can actually get 19K and don't rely on the Blue Book.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    If you buy the car, then re-sell it, you'll have to pay sales tax on your purchase.. I'm pretty sure that Honda Finance won't let you sell your car directly to another private party.

Generally, the only way to realize equity out of a Honda that is near lease-end, is to trade it in to a dealer that will give you more than your payoff.. As you probably realize, trade-in value won't be much more than your payoff, cutting into your "equity".

Your questioning who would buy a three year old CR-V for $19K from a private seller is pretty much right on... That market is pretty small.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 4over200k4over200k Member Posts: 18
    Get the AWD if you frequently head to the mountains. If not - the FWD 2008 has traction control and stability assist and handles very well in all conditions. Get rid of the factory tires and invest in better rubber (consult Tire Rack customer reviews for your vehicle) to make you even safer in rough weather.

I bought a 2007 FWD EX-L in April and live in New England and plan to purchase snows this winter - a good investment for me. We also have a Pilot for really bad storms if we are heading to the mountains. Better gas mileage with the FWD mileage than AWD due to less weight and fewer repairs/maint.

19K for an EXL with 27K sounds decent to me. My 2007 had 75K and I bargained down to 14,500 but it started at 16,700. good luck.
  • tasaytasay Member Posts: 36
    Hi,
    Where did you get that price?

TIA.
  • 97crv97crv Member Posts: 1
    Don't know about CA, but in MA, I just bought a 2011 CRV EX-L with Navigation for $26,420. With $780 destination, it came to $27,200. I had planned to buy the 2010 model, which I knew was on sale, but at time of purchase I was told the 2011 model was only $200 more. There must be sales on both year's models. Good luck!
  • whchuangwhchuang Member Posts: 6
    Hi, first use "AOL auto" and/or overstock.com auto, and truecar.com to get a rough idea for the 2011 price. Then talk to at least 5 dealership for the best price they could offer. Some dealers might be motivated for a "quick sale" as long as you don't have to test drive and long negociate... We are looking for a SE model (in SF bay area) and the best OTD (out of the door) price we could get is around $23,250. If someone else was able to get even better price please let us know, thanks!
  • ajbcohenajbcohen Member Posts: 1
    New Jersey - just leased for $0 down and $359/mo (incl all taxes) for 3 yrs/36 K miles. Price includes maintenance plan (N5+). How'd I do?
  • wailingmilkwailingmilk Member Posts: 4
    just got a quote from a dealer. what do you think?

2010 CR-V EX-L 4WD
    MSRP: $28,525.00
    Discount: $1,489.29
    Your Price: $27,035.71

2011 CR-V EX-L 4WD
    MSRP: $28,675.00
    Discount: $400.00
    Your Price: $28,275.00

2010 Accord EX-L
    MSRP: $27,580.00
    Discount: $2,610.50
    Your Price: $24,969.50

2011 Accord EX-L
    MSRP: $28,105.00
    Discount: $1,000.00
    Your Price: $27,105.00

I asked for OTD pricing, but not 100% this is OTD.
  • huntblkhuntblk Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

A Massachusetts dealer's "no haggle" internet price of $21,000 includes destination. Title, tax and registration are the only fees. Is this a good deal or should I haggle for a better deal since I'm paying cash? This is my first vehicle.

Thanks
  • tricia6tricia6 Member Posts: 8
    I'd suggest getting the "other fees" number nailed down. What you need to get is the "out the door" price. It's very easy to get screwed at the last minute when they start talking about destination fees, etc. I've been told by car salesmen to ask how much i'd be financing if i were financing 100% of the vehicle. What dealer? I'm in that area & would love to know.
  • tricia6tricia6 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Wailingmilk -- I'm in MA as well. Would love to know where the CRV EXL for $27,035.71 came from. I'm actually looking for an EX but would like to shop the same dealer as that price appears to be pretty aggressive & I need the break!! :)
    Sorry, I'm in Kentucky...not MA.
    The prices I listed (turns out) were not OTD prices. The dealer has since sent me a OTD pricing:

2010 CR-V EX-L 4WD: $28,965.06

2011 CR-V EX-L 4WD: $30,212.45

2010 Accord EX-L: $26,847.82

2011 Accord EX-L $29,011.67

any comments about prices would be appreciated.

W.
  • dc511dc511 Member Posts: 6
    Picked up a new 2010 CR-V EXL 4WD yesterday from a dealer in MD

Price:$24,800
    +freight
    +processing fee (100$)
    +tax and tags

OTD price : $26,500
    Dealer also threw in free protection package which includes splash/mud guards, trunk tray, nitrogen inflation, pinstripes

Very happy with the purchase. Love my new 'V'.

Thanks for all your postings
  • whchuangwhchuang Member Posts: 6
    Quote: "A Massachusetts dealer's "no haggle" internet price of $21,000 includes destination. Title, tax and registration are the only fees. Is this a good deal or should I haggle for a better deal since I'm paying cash? This is my first vehicle. "

==> You didn't say the trim, is this a 2011 SE model or LX model?
  • killerdrgnkillerdrgn Member Posts: 5
    Woah That's nice!!!
    I'm trying for that out here in NY/NJ and the best I've been able to get a sales guy to agree to is $26,000 (Including destination) + taxes (7% = $1820) + Registration & Misc fees ($463). Am I crazy for walking away and trying to shop around even more looking for a better deal?
    Looking at a 2010 CR-V EX-L 4WD - no navigation.
    So am I right for trying to find an even better price than 26,000?
    If you look at my purchase price .. its approx $25,600 (24800+780 destination/freight).

You can try to throw out a low figure of $25200 including destination and see where it goes. If you can close at 25.5K that would be a very good price.

I was getting an awesome offer from another dealer for 25K including destination, but they ran out of stock. If you want a 2010 model, I will suggest you better hurry up, because there are very few left in stock. Honda is pretty good at controlling their inventory.

Good luck.
    Whats the best way to get them to come down in price when they keep throwing in my face that the invoice price is 26,585? I've already visited 5 dealers already. and the best I can do still is 26,000.
  • tn4304tn4304 Member Posts: 2
    Can you tell me which dealer gave you that price. I am also in the market for 2010 EX-L as well and is also in Maryland/DC/Virginia area. Also, I want to get the ones with Navi, any suggestion on how much i should negotiate. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • smeierotsmeierot Member Posts: 2
    I am in Kansas in the KC area and can't get anyone to do better than invoice (which is approximately equal to Edmunds TMV). I see others are getting around or just over $1,000 off invoice for the 2010 LX or EX. I talked to a couple of internet managers and visited a dealership and can't seem to get them to go below invoice.
  • chiragwchiragw Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I am also in bay area looking for SE. Which dealer offered you the price you are mentioning? Done any better since then?
  • pilot25pilot25 Member Posts: 24
    In NY I am being quoted 22,900 plus destination, taxes and DMV fees. Is this a good deal? It is Bronx Honda. Anyone have any good/bad experiences with them?

Before I go there should I ask for the OTD price?
  • pilot25pilot25 Member Posts: 24
    Did you end up getting the CRV EX AWD? Which dealer did you use? I am also in the NY area.
    I think that's a difficult position ... if all the dealers in a certain area are adamant about the prices, then its tough to go against them.

What you could try is ... let them fight against each other. For ex, if you got an offer of 26K from Dealer A, talk to dealer B on phone and tell them that if they could offer you 25.7 or 25.8 you will take the business to them. Try this approach with couple of dealers over the phone and see how it goes.

If doesn't work out ... come over to DC metro and you can get a 600-700$ discount :)
    Its Ourisman Honda in Bethesda.

EXL 4WD with Navi is about 1600-1800$ more.
    And, generally 2WD is cheaper by about 1200$ compared to 4WD.

Good luck :)
  • tn4304tn4304 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. I am also contacting Ourisman as well. I contacted them couple of days ago and now awaiting them to send me the quote. Any sales person you would recommend me to deal with?
    Contact their internet sales dept .... they might cut a good deal.
    Also, try contacting Criswell and Stock Honda.
    What might also be good to do is actually go into the dealer in person and negotiate a low price. Then say no deal, go home and go to the dealer's website and negotiate as the starting point the price you got with the in person dealer, not telling the internet sales manager that the price quoted was from the dealership itself. I just shaved another $250 off the best price I have received doing just that, and am under invoice price by about $800 now.
  • laurilalaurila Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2010
    in case it helps, I paid 28,000 OTD for a 2010 EXL with Navi and since it was OTD, price included everything (ttl + kitchen sink) as that is precisely the payment I made on my final invoice.

to get this price:

1. solicit via email,fax,phone (NO PERSONAL VISITS) about 30 dealers.

I spent 2 months over email asking for prices over two geographical US state lines. sometimes I did not get a price and just moved on to next dealer.

2. collect the best offers and narrow the choices down to 5 top offers/dealers.

I sent a direct reply back to these and said that I could come in last day of the month and pay and drive away (no hassle offer, money on table)

3. make the deal on the last day of the month, walk into dealership late afternoon and be prepared to walk out twice or more times.

Most dealers will not honor the email or fax they have sent and will refuse the price they just offered you but one or more will.

4. Be aware of the Honda volume payment to the dealer you finally select as in my case they had an incoming check for 50,000.00 and my deal could easily be made up from the proceeds.

Pick a volume leader in sales but be aware that dealer #2 may be more amenable to selling for a lower price your purchase.

No test drives at dealer where you are making your purchase.

No test drive of the car you are picking up on the day of the purchase as that will just subject you to the banter and target you for banter over "features" and price.

On the day of the purchase, you are JUST THERE TO PAY AND DRIVE AWAY, NO CONVERSATION and you are NOT there TO MAKE FRIENDS.

For my purchase, I literally asked to see the Internet sales guy who handed me over to a salesman (very bewildered person who had no clue!) who in turn called over the floor sales manager (also had no clue!) and I had to walk out twice when the General Manager of the facility walked outside and asked me to come back and pay the 28k.

No emotions, no raising voice, no negotiation was needed.

I did not speak at all, simply handed over the paper email copy printout with their final OTD offer 28,000 and my drivers license. They tried to make conversation, I just sat mostly silent but politely gave one word answer if absolutely necessary. When Floor Manager refused last time, I simply smiled and proceeded to outside exit and that is when GM walked outside and offered to honor the deal.

Have bought all my cars using a variation of this same theme.
    Had you secured your own financing prior to coming to the dealer, or did you use the dealer's financing/bank? If you did use the dealer's finance offer, was it a painful process?
    It would be nice to have already secured a loan from somewhere else (one's own bank) but the rates the dealers are often are unbeatable, I think.

W.
    one word ... awesome technique.

I will save this for my future car purchases :)
  • laurilalaurila Member Posts: 18
    I had a check in pocket for 30k from my local credit union, paid little under 10k in cash and used the open credit union check for the remainder, total invoice was still 28k and that included also all fees for registration, plates, etc.

Paid off the credit union loan next week and got clear title same month.
  • smeierotsmeierot Member Posts: 2
    How much should I be paying for a 4WD SE? Any advice is appreciated.
    Just bought it for 28,200 OTD price in NJ. No Navigation, added a cargo liner too. Probably could have gotten an even better deal, but I didn't really feel like looking anymore, as searching for deals was really cutting into work.