Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• tpcooltpcool Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2012
    Hi dita, welcome to bay area ...

I would recommend go u pto 100 mile radius. you should be able to find 25 to 30 dealers easily.

Also, most dealers don't have internet sales department, in which case submit a quote request on their web site ...

Ask for OTD quote.

Since you are open to more colors, you should get better pricing.

Don't go through sales folks, as you will incur commission. Deal directly with internet quote department.

Do a test drive at a different dealer.

Using this link you can find dealers up to 75 miles. I found it was convenient.
    http://applications.capitalone.com/jsp/dealerlocator/

2WD is good enough in bay area
    My friend owns a 2009 CRV LX 2WD, for the past 3 years, and hasn't faced any problem.
    edited January 2012
    Is this OTD quote? If it is, then it is a very good deal. Anytime if we specify a price, I think it will help, if we clarify if it is OTD quote or just vehicle price.

I was looking for CRV EX 2WD, and the best OTD qoute was around $26,500. If you got an OTD quote for $27,045, then I might as well upgrade to leather seats.

Do you mind sharing who gave this quote. I got best quote from Berkely Honda and Auto West honda

If it makes sense, we might as well do a group buy
  • sanjraptsanjrapt Member Posts: 1
    Bought my new 2012 CRV EX 2WD yesterday. OTD 25100$. No options.
    I think its a reasonable deal. What you think?

I'm in Dallas,TX.
    edited January 2012
    Could you please provide the breakdown, or the what was charged for vehicle price? It is really hard to tell because I don't how much is the sales tax, vehicle registration fee and doc fee.

Seeing at the current trend, anything below $24,300 (just for the vehicle, not OTD) is a good price.
  • sharavatarsharavatar Member Posts: 24
    No. Those quotes are not OTD price. The best OTD price for CV-L FWD EX-L I have received from email so far is $29,502.
    I think maybe I should put $29,000 as my offer.
    Any advise.
  • mypathy2001mypathy2001 Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2012
    Wanted to add my $0.02, especially as many people on here are buying EX-L trims, I want people to people to know my wife's EX (Alabaster Silver Metallic) trim.

Price paid: 23,800
    Doc fees: 479
    Lemon Law: 3
    Non tax fees: (tag, title): 179
    Tax (Georgia): 1,669
    Out the door: 26,100 roughly

I could have saved about $600 probably as another dealer in another state would have knocked off many fees and matched the price..... but my wife and I have been looking for roughly 7-8 months and sold her car in November.... just ready to make a deal.

Seems like it's impossible to find a White Diamond Pearl anywhere, especially in EX trim, I don't care for leather at all.

So, did I get ripped a new one? After all the research, it seemed like a fair deal. Know I could have saved some money by waiting maybe 3-4 weeks, but was ready to purchase. Haven't even driven it yet. 80 miles in. :)
  • sergeiksergeik Member Posts: 1
    From my experience with Dealers in Austin and Kileen, I think it's a good deal. Do you mind telling me the name of the dealership?
    I have got counter offer from one of the internet sales - 29,000 for financing price and 29,502 for cash price. this is OTD price for 2012 CV-L FWD EX-L car.
    All the other said the demand is high and don't proactively to give me a good number.
    Any advise for the next step?
    thanks.
    edited January 2012
    I went to two dealers yesterday, and this time the dealer has an upper hand. Also, dealer isn't trying hard to enough to sell as they don't have a lot of 2012 cars on the inventory. I talked to a sales manager, and he told a wise/honest thing. He said that "best deals are done when the dealer doesn't have any deals" i.e he indicated waiting for a rainy day, bad weather day, month end, when no one else is buying. On top of all, he first asked whether they have any car on the lot that I liked. If they don't have the car on the lot, then story ends there. They are not going to try hard enough, unless they are really making good deal on the price or struggling to meat the quota. He asked me to come check back later when they have the car in stock and he can do something at that time. This is a local dealer (stevens creek) is literally my next door (5 minutes walking distance). They also have policy of putting a $500 check to hold the car. They won't use the check, it is just to hold the car for you. I didn't put check yet, but planning to. May be they will just call me on one such rain day. Actually the sales manager was interested in the fact that I am next door, hoping that I will service the car with them as I am next door.

Lot of time dealers are sending quotes just to get your foot in the door. If you call and talk to them, most of them don't have car on the lot, and they will tell that they can get you one, once you come and sign the papers.

Yesterday I was at one dealership, the car was good but had more miles $250 miles as they said they did a dealer trade. Also, it has a very small paint chip from a door ding. These are the kind of unknowns involved if you buy without actually seeing the car. I walked away, by quoting a low OTD which the dealer didn't agree to.

Based on my calculations, dealers are trying to pocket in a nice 5% profit on this price (invoice + destination - holdback).

i.e dealer profit = vehicle price billed to you - (invoice + destination - holdback)

Ideally it should be anywhere from 3% to 5%, but now they are going to the max 5%. The difference between 3% and 5% can be anywhere from $500 to $700

right now, looking at the trend in bay area, CA, If you get equal or less than the below price, you got a very good deal.

2012 CRV EX 2WD
    Vehicle price: $24,200 or OTD: $26, 600

2012 CRV EX AWD:

Vechicle price: $25,400 or OTD: $27, 900

After some thought and discussions with couple of friends, sales folks, I feel it is worth upgrading to AWD. The price difference isn't that much. Around $1200 bucks, but if we wait a bit more longer, we could get better deals on AWD.

I also took the unknown part out by financing with penfed. At least I have that peace of mind. They have good rates for 1.99% right now.

To sum it up, it looks like better to wait few more days/weeks. Most of the dealers are getting new inventory now. Only thing is the vehicles in the newer lot won't be Japan VIN I believe, but not sure if that is going to make any difference. I would assume the quality of the car will be same.

I will keep posting my thoughts, trends here. Happy shopping.
    I am including a quote that I got from one of the dealers. This is to help people to avoid dealers who rip of customers with exorbitant prices and questionable fee. This particular dealer Autowest Honda of Fremont seemed to be fair in this quote, and all the prices seemed legit. I doubt if they have the color that I wanted (polished metal metallic). I haven't contacted them.

2012 CRV EX 2WD Sample Quote for Bay Area, CA

Vehicle Price: $25,205.00
    Preferred Customer Discount: - $1,007.00
    Total Selling Price: $24,198.00

Sales Tax (estimate): + $2,003.27
    Tire/Battery/MVWEA: + $8.75
    Tag/Registration Fees (estimate): + $227.00
    Flat Add/County Fee: + $20.00
    Electronic Filing: + $29.00
    Smog Abatement Fee: + $20.00
    Documentation Fee: + $55.00
    Balance Due (estimate): $26,561.02
    No Trade-In
  • roboman1roboman1 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    2012 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD
    MSRP: $29,105
    Internet Price: $27,116

Bodystyle:4 door SUVDrivetrain:AWD
    Engine:2.4L I-4 cylTransmission:5-Speed AutomaticExt.
    Color: White Diamond Pear
    lInt. Color:Beige
    Stock Number:121002Vin:5J6RM4H76CL006743Model Code:RM4H7CJW

http://www.showcasehonda.com/new/Honda/2012-Honda-CR-V-ccb7481c0a0d0669000b4c698- - - b78163c.htm?useHistory=true

I'm still working the deal, but not a bad starting price. I'm in El Paso and we have two dealers here so I'm still working deals, but I want a loaded Pearl CRV.

The dealer above is located in Phoenix, AZ 85014 and I will buy there if they beat El paso dealers buy 500 dollars.
  • mypathy2001mypathy2001 Member Posts: 18
    Wow, White Diamond Pearl ... I could not find that color any where. I still have yet to find a WDP in a EX trim.
  • dyw21dyw21 Member Posts: 3
    Sanjrapt,

I'm in Houston, could you tell me what dealership you worked with in Dallas?

Thanks!
  • shyboyshyboy Member Posts: 36
    anyone in Northern VA?

What is the best price to get that. I am looking for no options at all.

Standard LX model only...
    Don't know about the specifics about your area, but for LX

if you have the vehicle price for LX 2WD (includes destination)

Between $21,750 and $22,200 you got a good deal.

You need to add tax + license + doc fee
    Most dealers don't have the LX model yet (if any), although they're starting to roll in in the next couple of weeks.
  • mountgreenmountgreen Member Posts: 2
    I'm in SoCal looking for a 2012 Honda crv ex 2wd. Been sending email to some dealers. Right now the best offer I got is from Norm Reeves, $24,705(is the MSRP $25,205? Invoice $23,753). Haven't talked to them see if there's room for negotiation yet.

This is not a OTD price. the other fees are:

Sales tax: $1,957
    DOC: $55
    Tire: $8.75
    DMV: $234, $29, and $20 (for different Docs? Not sure about this)

If the invoice(from truecar.com) correct, this is $952 over invoice. If there's anyway we can find out about dealership's holdback,incentives, then we will have a better idea of their true cost for the cars. Anyone know that info?

Anyone in LA area also planning to buy a crv? Maybe we can get a lower price if we do a group buy. :shades:
    This dealer is charging too much. Anything above $24,300 for vehicle is questionable. See http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef11a94/10740#MSG10740 for a sample quote from one of the dealers in Bay Area (North California).

Holdback is 2% of base MSRP = 2% * $24,395 = $488

TrueCar has all this information.

I would say spend max $26,650 (OTD) for EX 2WD in California.

You can do one thing. Send e-mail to
    - Autowest Fremont and ask for quote.

Show this quote to your dealer and ask them to match

HTH
  • jylee507jylee507 Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    I recently bought a 2012 CRV-EX from Spreen Honda in Loma Linda, CA, and they gave it to me for $23,536 (which came out to $25,711 out the door after all taxes and fees). It was a bit of a drive for me, but worth it because they were the cheapest and also were able to find the color pairing that I really wanted and wouldn't compromise on. The car is still in transit, so I don't have it yet, but it should arrive from Japan in about a week or so.

Overall, the whole process was pleasant, although of course they tried to sell me on overpriced accessories and extended warranty, but didn't really push hard when I said no thank you. I found them through Truecar.com also, but surprisingly once I got the Truecar quote at around the same price you've been quoted, they emailed me the much lower quote and I couldn't say no.

One other option that you may have is getting the email quote from Spreen, and then taking it to Honda of Corona. That dealership was ready to match Spreen's price, but just couldn't find the color pair that I wanted so I went with Spreen. I don't know about Corona's fees and stuff, but I was happy to see that Spreen didn't add a bunch of crap fees to boost their profit.

I plan to buy the extended warranty from Saccucci Honda for $500 less than Spreen's price, which will increase coverage to 8yr/100K, and I already bought all the accessories I wanted for about 40% lower than Spreen (also thru Saccucci Honda).

Hope this saves you a lot of money!! The person I went through at Spreen was Steve Douglas.
    Thanks jylee507 for this detailed post and excellent review.

What color did you get? I was looking for polished metal, but most dealers don't have that color yet.

By the way, congratulations, this is an excellent price. The lowest I saw in the Bay area was $24,200 for the vehicle or OTD around $26,500.

I will check with Spreen Honda and see what quote they will give. Did you contact them directly or went through Truecar?

It is around 400 mile drive for me. If they give a good price, I can plan to go over the weekend.

By the way, one silly question though. How do people usually buy car at a far away dealership?

- do they go with a friend in one vehicle, and when coming back drive back in two vehicles (assuming your new car is ready). however this may not work if the distance is more than 200 mi, as it is difficult for friends to spend so much time

- do a one way rental car?

- do dealers do local deliver? how much does it cost?

how do you plan on picking up?
  • needlerebelsneedlerebels Member Posts: 1
    Really like this car. Esp... all the comfort controls... was quoted $29,500 out the door with no extras....

So much higher than the EX costs in this forum!
    Why?
    Do I keep negotiating? Shop around?
    If it is 2WD EXL, then I think $29000 is a target to negotiate. But I think EX-L is way too high from EX.
    I plan to buy an EX with $26500 OTD as the target.
  • mchang413mchang413 Member Posts: 11
    I received OTD quote of $25 747 :

Base $23,960
    Tax(6.25%) 1,497
    TTL 290

I think it's an OK deal.
  • mountgreenmountgreen Member Posts: 2
    Thank you guys for the helpful info.

I also got a quote from Norm Reeves Honda,

Vehicle: 23,536
    Discount: -300 (Can only get this if buy by Jan. 24)
    Tax: 2,400
    License: 55
    OTD: about 25,691

They did offer a $300 discount but the rough OTD is only $20 from what jylee507 paid. They somehow jacked up the tax rate to more then 10.3%

Another thing bothers me is they have quite a few negative review on google. I'm wondering if they will pay bait and switch with me.

How did you fee about their service? Did they play bait and switch with you? Have you got your new Crv yet?
  • mokshmoksh Member Posts: 1
    Thx for all the info on the posts here. Since it was 2011 model, got a decent deal

Cash price = $20,241
    Sales Tax = $1,674
    License etc = $250
    Total On the Road= $22,250

Love the car
  • smc5784smc5784 Member Posts: 3
    Just purchased a 2012 2WD EX (Urban Titanium) in Jackson, Mississippi. Here is the deal:

Price (including dest. fee): $23,900
    Tax: $1,089
    Fees: $200
    OTD: $25,189

Also got a decent deal on my trade-in. Pretty satisfied with this deal, especially considering Urban Titanium was my top color choice.
  • jylee507jylee507 Member Posts: 3
    Hi guys,

I found Spreen through Truecar, but surprisingly, after I received my Truecar quote, Spreen emailed me with an even lower quote which they honored without any problems.

I haven't gotten my CR-V yet, but it is all paid for so all I'm expecting when it arrives from Japan is a phone call, quick signing of paperwork that I picked it up, and that's it. I don't see how they can bait and switch me now, after the car is legally mine with title in my name and the fact that they cashed my check. They already tried to get me to buy other items when I went in to sign documents, but thankfully no hard-sell. This is something apparently they pride themselves on - no hard selling tactics, no hidden fees, and no dealer add-ons unless you specifically ask for it. I was really worried about what they would try to bait/switch me onto when I got there, but they really didn't.

In terms of how I'm going to pick up my car, well, unfortunately I have to get my parents to drive up 2 hours to take me to the dealership, so yes, there's definitely some hassle about not buying from someone local, but if it saves me hundreds and gets me the color pairing that I want (which was Opal Sage and Beige interior), then I'm willing to do it. (Or should I say, inconvenience someone else to get it)

If you don't buy your car in the next week by the time I get mine, I'll let you know how it goes when my car arrives.
    hello friends, finally ended up buying 2012 CRV EX 2WD from a local bay area dealer (Larry Hopkins Honda). Vehicle price came up as $23,868 and OTD was $26,200. I guess Spreen honda's quote was the best, but for me it was about 5 hour trip, and when I talked to them, there is no way I could do in one trip.

Sales person I dealt was Jay. He is an experienced sales person and nice. Tried to offer safety alarm, service, warranty but rejected all of it. The car I picked was on their lot for few days, and I know that because one week before I bought I test drove the same car, and went on the Thursday, really during the closing time (8:35 pm) and the weather was bad. I actually waited until that day (I checked weather forecast :-)) The car had some miles on it as they did a dealer trade, and I was not too worried about the miles. Some other dealers I talked to also had few miles on the car. This seems to be a common thing happening now, at least with small dealers.

The car had security alarm already installed, but I reject security alarm. Also, it had wheel locks, and they gave it for free with the deal. It

Overall, if you want to go to this dealer, I am not sure if you will get the exact same deal, but be ready $100 or $200 above this price i.e around $26,300 or $26,400 OTD.

My detailed pricing (to help future buyers, to avoid unwarranted dealer fee)
    Vehicle price: $23, 868
    Sales tax @ 8.25% : $1973
    DMV Electronic Filing Fee: $29
    License Fee: $155
    Registration/Titling Fee: $110
    California Tire Fee: $8.75

Total OTD Price: $26,200

I am loving the car so far. I am not happy with the stereo though, no base and treble at all. I have an old car (1999 Toyota corolla) in which I installed Pioneer mp3 player ($200), and no sub woofer or anything, just factory speakers, and that sounds much better than the new CRV stereo. Just bear this in mind. Not a biggie, but don't expect the factory stereo to sound awesome. This wouldn't have altered my decision to purchase EX anyway.

Also, decided to stick with 2WD. I drove completely in rain yesterday and today, both in city and highway, and there was no skid/slip. 2WD just seemed fine. Actually my old car skids sometimes, but this didn't, so I am happy with. As per when I go on snow, I am ready to take snow chains.

HTH, happy shopping
  • shyboyshyboy Member Posts: 36
    How much exactly you paid?
  • ortolanortolan Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2012
    I just purchased a 2012 CRV AWD EX For $24,238 today before Tax, Title, etc. Was this a good deal? This prices included the $810 destination fee. The MSRP sticker on it was $26,455. I also got 2.9% financing for 72 months.

Did I get a good deal? I believe this was... I read all the 2012 purchase posts, but most were 2WD or EX-L's. Mine was just an AWD EX with cloth, no extras added.

Thanks for any comments.
    I don't know what the DE markets are like right now, but I just purchased a 2012 CRV AWD EX for $24,238 before tax, title, and registration. This prices included the $810 destination fee.

It's all about supply and demand and some city/states will pay more or less depending on what the market is doing. I would say just enjoy the vehicle and don't worry about it.
  • palvordpalvord Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone bought a 2012 CRV EXL in Washington State? I don't know what a fair price would be....I'm new at this :) Thanks.
  • swartelswartel Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I'm looking at a 2012 CR-V AWD Urban Titanium with Nav. Sticker is $30,605 including $810 destination.

I've been reading prices paid on this forum but am still unsure what has been paid for this trim. Looks like somewhere in the low $28- low $29 K (CR-V including destination but not including title, tags, tax, accessories, any dealer fee).

Would very much appreciate if someone can share price paid for this trim (break-down of items so comparison can be done).

Am planning to start negotiating tomorrow.

Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,
  • wongwacwongwac Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    I got a quote for CR-V LX AWD (truecar.com) for $23,057 (this includes Ad fee and destination fee) in Boston, MA area. Is that a good price? Thanks
  • swartelswartel Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

Oops! I am looking at the 2012 EX-L AWD with Nav.

Hoping someone will share a price paid for that trim.
  • itsfun24x7itsfun24x7 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2012
    Hi everyone,

I have been watching this thread for sometime.
    Thanks to everyone for listing out the actual paid prices.
    Finally I have brought CRV 2012 FWD with NAV for 29300 in gerogia.
    Here is the splitup.

Cash Price: 26776
    Customer Services: 587
    Sales Tax @ 7%: 1915
    LIC FEE : 21
    Total 29299.56

I think it's a pretty good deal for 2012 FWD with NAV.
    Dealership experience was not that great.
    They tried to up-sell gap insurance.
    Overall, I am pretty happy with the vehicle.
    Only issue I saw was while trying to stream music over bluetooth
    from my android phone.(Music playback gets stopped randomly).
    Also the USB connection doesn't recognize the android
    phone as an mp3 player.
  • el0pookieel0pookie Member Posts: 8
    Does everyone automatically include the dealer fees in their prices? Or do they simply tell the dealer they are not going to pay it? Every quote I've gotten here in Florida includes a $599 to $699 dealer that they say is non-negotiable.

How do I get around this? I know it's pure profit, but it appears no one wants to keep it out of negotiations.
  • spiyaspiya Member Posts: 3
    This was a very good deal. Where you bought your vehicle? And how you negotiate the price? Local dealer of mine (in Omaha, NE) quoted me 26, 155 for EX AWD before tax, title and licensing fee with 5.9% APR.
  • jhsiehjhsieh Member Posts: 1
    Hi,I just bought my cr-v ex fwd white pearl for 25500(otd) in las Vegas ,desert Honda ,the salesperson was really nice and easy man.we were happy with the price,and I also very like this color,there were only 2 ex had this color available in Vegas (now properlly just 1 so far).Everything looked good except just a little high mileage (54)when I bought this one,but no big deal for me. I am pretty enjoying drive the 2012 cr-v.And hope you guys enjoy 2.
    PS the stereo is ok,there have base and treble ,just push the setup bottom ,and you will see it display on the screen. Enjoy!
    @spiya

I purchased it at Wilde Honda in Waukesha, WI which is very close to Milwaukee, WI. The 2.9% is good for 72 months, non-fluctuating. The crazy thing I purchased it on Saturday evening and yesterday, which was Monday one of the 20 dealers that I asked for quotes called to follow up and asked if I got the quote, which included destination for $23,600!!!! Unfortunately that was one e-mail that didn't make it to me:( I did talk in detail with that dealership and I have the guys contact information. PM if you're serious and I can get his information to you. Wilde Honda gave me 1K more for my trade-in than any other dealership would so if I would have gotten the $23,600 price they probably wouldn't have given me the extra 1K for my trade so it probably would have been a wash.

It's about 500 miles from Omaha to Waukesha, but it might be worth your while. Maybe make a road trip of it!

Hope this information helps.
  • warfazewarfaze Member Posts: 2
    Anyone from NYC/Tri state purchased 2012 CRV EX AWD . Would like to know the price plus other charges ? It looks like the price is little higher in the metro area. Can you negotiation the price with the dealer. This is my first new car and need help.
  • lubberslinelubbersline Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2012
    I've been reading through these very helpful posts with all the prices, offers, etc... and it became daunting trying to keep track of it all. So, I have a suggestion that may help to organize your thoughts. It has certainly help me. I created a simple spreadsheet with the following columns: model, offer, destination, price w/dest, processing fees, tags/regs, accessories, total before taxes, taxes 6%, grand total. The taxes column may be different for your state. I'm interested in the AWD EX or EX-L so my spreadsheet shows the differences accordingly in the model column.

Hopefully this helps others. It certainly has helped me organize many of the offers that I'm interested in and I will probably bring my sheet with me to the dealer.
  • rflangrflang Member Posts: 8
    Hi ortolan ,

would you mind sharing the name of the other dealer? I am in the Milwaukee area and was going to use Truecar, but your price seems even better. I do have a trade, so I will have to factor that in as well. Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Bought a 2012 Honda CRV EX 2WD in Houston this past weekend at John Eagle Honda.

Used this site and thread to do a lot of research so want to pay it forward with my info:

Paid 26K even out the door after all TTL and other fees.

Opal sage coloring with black cloth interior.

Came with Honda dealer options: wheel locks, cargo mat, and splash guards.

*No tint for the front windows, the back windows are privacy glass (so it's already darker and looks like its tinted). Be careful of this as the dealer listed the tint as a "dealer installed option", complete BS, that I even pointed out to them.

I think this is a decent price, but I imagine will get even cheaper as the supply really picks up, John Eagle Honda actually had tons of 2012 CRVs on their lot.
    @ortolon,
    23,600 is an excellent deal which includes destination fee. Can you give me the dealer name, address and contact person. How much did you pay for tax?
    Thanks for the info. Hope to hear from you soon.
    SPiya
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,552
    Reminder....

You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• rflangrflang Member Posts: 8
    Hi Ortolan,

your post was deleted before we could make contact. My email is visible on my profile if you happen to see this and wouldn't mind reaching out to me.

Thanks again and hope you love the CR-V!
    @spiya, I can't see your e-mail address on your account. I'm not allowed to post the questions you asked on this forum.
    my email id is piyasagun@yahoo.com. Thanks for the info.
    Sagun
  • kab3164kab3164 Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2012 Honda CRV EXL 2WD in Lockport, NY near Buffalo yesterday West Herr Honda.

I used this site and thread to do a lot of research so want to pay it forward with my info:

Paid 25,700 plus tax and fees for total of $28,131.

Polished Metal coloring with grey leather interior.

This is below invoice so I'm hoping I got a decent deal. I was going to go with an EX model but couldn't pass up the EXL for not much more.