Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• scatter55scatter55 Member Posts: 6
    Hey Brian Thanks I got a good deal with your advice.I got $ 600 below dealer invoice plus destination . Also got dealer to put rear spoiler ,body side door mouldings,mudguards,wheel locks,and hood air deflector. Will make wife nice christmas present. THANKS MERRY CHRISTMAS
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    SCATTER,,,,,,, Easiest buying experience you will ever have buying my way.. Post Dealership,, Name,, and City you live in so others can see your deal.. Merry X MAS...................... Brian

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• rizzlarizzla Member Posts: 4
    that sounds like a great deal and one nice Xmas Present for the wife! Did you negotiate the dealer add-ons via email or in person after coming to a price? I'm stuck at 30,600 OTD (taxes and all) for EXL AWD NAV but want to know when I should press for the additional stuff.
    Brian sorry I forgot to put that I got the options at internet price from honda parts and installed at no cost. Team Honda Baton Rouge. La.
    rizzla I got internet prices from honda parts.com, and a few others. Then I went back to dealer and told them that there prices for parts and labor to install was out of the box. I told them what I would give for parts and if they wanted me to buy then install parts at no cost.
  • asagemasagem Member Posts: 16
    Brian,
    I was responding to this message from fhb716
    where he listed prices from a NY dealer (no name provided).
    I listed the prices from edmunds.com website which seemed to be $1000 above what he was able to negotiate for CR-V 2013 EX-L AWD which seemed great price.
    Thanks.
  • asagemasagem Member Posts: 16
    Could you please tell which dealer gave you this price. Thanks.
  • jayctjayct Member Posts: 16
    The thing is I kept saying to them, the price includes destination and conveyance fee, nothing else added except tax and registration. My email was very clear on this so they could not argue much.

The dealer we bought at is Schaller Honda in New Britain, CT. The one I walked out of was Hoffman Honda in Simsbury. Jay
  • warwarawarwara Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012
    jayct, I'm negotiating with the same dealership in New Britian and I got $27266 E-price for EX-L with only destination fee included. Did you finance with Honda? I know they can give you $500 in Flex cash if you finance or lease with them Maybe if we finance w/them we can knock off another $500 Not sure how I can make them match your price:) I was told they have to charge no one or everyone conveyance fee
  • musicitytigermusicitytiger Member Posts: 10
    Sounds reasonable, the best reported price I could find is $27,592 at Airport Honda in Alcoa, TN (see link):

http://www.voiceofthedriver.com/node/70198
  • zipazipa Member Posts: 5
    Hello everybody. I was given OTD quote price $30,800 for Honda CR-V EX-L AWD by a NJ dealer. The price includes NY taxes, destination fee, doc fee, registration fee. The first two items I know I cannot avoid. The last two are about $600 and I think it is too steep and I will try to eliminate or reduce them. What do you think?
    Here's my advise.

1- Tell dealer Doc fee's are a deal breaker, or let them take what ever the doc fee's are and minus off sale of CRV. alot of dealers will do this to get your business.

2- I know N.Y. and N.J dmv fee's have gone up. This is his fee for his service plus the state dmv charge. dont think you will get him down on that to much

3 your leverage in this deal is letting what ever dealership your buying from Know.... meet my price i buy right now..... Otherwise your like every other caller or someone walking in showroom. Buying a car is a negotiation and every thing is negotiable. Call 10 dealerships with Meet my price i buy NOW.. good luck..

• david3112david3112 Member Posts: 1
    could you please let me know your car dealer? thanks so much.
    Thanks for you reply. I asked the dealer to take off those doc fees and registration fees since I have my own plates from my flooded car, and quoted my price at $30,000. Will see.
    Plate transfer in New York, New Jersey is $75.. If dealer does not come close to your price. tell them thats the number that gets it done today... leave your number and call other dealers.. last days of the month gives the buyer the best leverage on price.

• ibuyhondaonlyibuyhondaonly Member Posts: 13
    kumar said:"This does not include protection package(wheel lock, splash gaurd and cargo cover)
    but includes window tint, strips and handle paint protector. "

tint is $89, strips is $49. and handle paint cost nothing, and he doesnt get cargo cover which should comes with car so he must meant cargo tray. and wheel lock splash guard and cargo cover and door guard should be somewhere around $550. (584 with tax)

so do the math, this so called best deal should be $24990, assume kumar had to finance with honda to get $500 coupon. so the real deal is about $25490 drive out. which is a great deal for brand new 2012 CRV EX. it could be the best deal in town. if you allow to choose cars colors etc. there is no point to shoot for any lower,unless you have free life and free gas, you might save another $100 or so, if you choose to spend months to save $100 ,i dont think it worth it. But I know there are still people out there will spend $2 more on gas to drive to a store further to save 50 cent on banana etc. which you might thought you saved money, but logically you did not.

and some people can just say whatever you want to hear, like I can say I bought one last week for $23965 drive out, which is not true.

let me know if you have more questions.
    Sorry but I could swear I replied to you on this. If it is not too late, I would recommend going in there with my quote as your price. Write it down on paper clearly identifying that it includes destination and conveyance fees and that only tax and registration are extra. Be prepared to walk out if they do not meet this deal. I am pretty certain Lia in Enfield will meet it as would liberty in Hartford and Executive in Wallingford. Good luck, Jay
  • tonyndlstonyndls Member Posts: 3
    If in CA Valley Hi Honda 27300-500= 26800 no hard sell Aaron Berg internet director. 2nd deal there both good price and no hassle.
  • kumar_shrnkumar_shrn Member Posts: 6
    Hi Yalam, sorry I saw ur MSG today, I bought 2013 CRV EX from David mcDavid Honda of Frisco for 25864 out of door includes protection plan like wheel lock, tint , strips and tray.
  • iowa70iowa70 Member Posts: 4
    Good deal???

I've emailed about 20 dealers or so and this is my best quote so far.

2013 Honda CRV EX 2WD

Car Price = $22,917 (includes $830 destination fee)
    Doc fee = $499
    Tax = $300 (SC flat tax)
    Title = $168

Comes with no extras, but they said "car mats won't come between me selling you a car"

I'm located in South Carolina

Thoughts???
    If your post is correct you have found a great deal.

2013 CRV EX Fwd Invoice price w dest charge is $22,917
    Your deal is $1292 below dealers invoice price

Try to negotiate that $499 fee either off bill or split that cost with dealer. tell dealer its a deal breaker. read my prior post on how to buy by phone or online

If dealer wont remove fee than you still made a good deal of $793 below dealers invoice price.

Post dealership name, and city your buying so others can see your deal..

• avacado12avacado12 Member Posts: 8
    would you mind share which dealership?
    Thanks!
  • dpr12dpr12 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone financed a purchase solely in order to get the $500 in flex cash being offered, then paid the loan off in full with the first payment due? Can anyone shed any light about financing fees at the Honda dealership that one would not incur if one paid in cash? I'd like to see if the math works out. Let's say an EX-L at $30k OTD with a $15k down payment, and you finance $15k to get the $500 in flex cash, and payoff the $15K + .9% interest (1 month) with the first payment.
  • warwarawarwara Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the advise, Jay. Right now they keep saying their price of $27200 is the lowest possible based on their mystery shopping:) can you please let me know if you finance with them? We are going to use our credit union and I'm not sure we will get $500 off from Flex cash
  • njcrv2njcrv2 Member Posts: 7
    I really need this NJ dealer name. Can you help
    NJC,,,,,,,,Try these Dealers. Tell each Dealer that if they meet your price of 1000 below dealers Invoice price plus,,,, tags, and tax, OTD you will buy that moment . Wait til the last days of this month.

Paul miller-- N.J.
    VIP HONDA-- N.J.
    Autosport Honda--- Rt 22 N.J.
    DCH Academy-- Old bridge N.J
    DCH Paramus N.J.
    Garden State Clifton N.J.
    Hillside honda - N.Y.

If any one of these dealers meet your price make sure you dont give back money with high Doc' fee's... At worst if you cant get them removed split cost with Dealer . Tell every dealership you call that paying doc fee's are a deal breaker....... Let us know how you do ..... Good luck......Brian

• njcrv2njcrv2 Member Posts: 7
    How comes all the quotation i got recently from NJ dealers they all ask for more than 23000 , even before des fee,doc fee,tax and others. I need a good advise or a good dealer.
  • antons911antons911 Member Posts: 66
    Just searched for and pulled a triger on a deal for my inlaws for a 2012 (only a few in state remaining) CRV EX-L. Got it in South California at DCH
    27000 OTD. I think before taxes it was something like 24800.

All pricing was done over email.
    edited December 2012
    NJ,
    First off Car buying is a Negotiation and everything in the deal is Negotiable Including doc fee's. That being said... If your calling dealers to give you a quote... YOUR BUYING THE WRONG WAY. You tell each dealer what you are willing to pay. If they meet your price You buy that moment . Thats the leverage to getting the best price and deal. Always buy the last few days of any month or at Quarters End like in Dec. Dont believe every post you read some people just thru out numbers or put up wrong info. Here are the Dealers Invoice numbers on your vehicle plus dest charge=
    2013 LX AWD= 22,490 + 830= 23,320

This is dealers Invoice price. add your N.J. sales tax and dmv fee's about $ 300 and thats what buying at dealers invoice looks like. If you call on the phone and speak to the internet managers the last 2 days of the month you should be able to knock off another 500 to 1000 below dealers invoice depending on how good you can negotiate.. good luck, let us know how you did................ Brian

• shyboyshyboy Member Posts: 36
    The dealer would tell you that pay it in the first month, but don't wait for the whole month to receive the bill and pay, you will still have to pay the interest of the full financed amount on the first month.

What I did was I financed the full amount and keep calling honda financing and on 3rd day they had my account # which they gave me on the phone and I paid full. they only charge the interest on those 3 days only.
    I would then tell them you are going to other dealers. Contact Liberty, Executive and Lia Honda by email and spell out the deal clearly and tell them that you will come in and buy if they can meet that price. One of them should agree. If not wait a week. Close to the end of the month they will be more anxious to deal. I have a couple of other out of state dealers that would make this deal too.

You will not get the $500 off if you do not finance through Honda though. The rate was good for us (2.9%). Not sure what you can get in the credit union but you may want to reconsider. Good luck and be strong. This is your money not theirs. Jay
    Our Flex Cash was applied to our loan as a downpayment, not a first payment. Jay
    I forgot to add that I have a coworker that did finance to get money back and then paid the loan off a month or two later. You need to check the loan conditions to see if there is a prepayment penalty or minimum length of loan payments. Jay
  • avacado12avacado12 Member Posts: 8
    Is this your OTD price?
    Shopping for a cr-v and really want to know the price. It is so hard to get any price lower these days.
    Thanks!
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Not everything is negotiable. The freight and taxes are not negotiable. Documentation fees (actually dealer profit) should actually be considered part of the selling price, not MSRP, of the vehicle. These fees should be negotiated to $0.

The key to getting a good price is for you, the buyer, to control the negotiations. You do that by understanding the dealer's cost which should be the base price you use to begin negotiations. It is an easy process.

The best method, IMHO, to develop a base price is to find the invoice price of the car (Edmunds), subtract the dealer holdback (available from Edmunds) and any incentive provided by the manufacturer to the dealer (available online) and further reduce that amount by any cash back to the buyer (you). That gives you not only a nice starting price for negotiations but, more importantly, the knowledge to handle the sales person's inevitable BS.

Do not go to the dealership but initiate the process on line. The dealer's goal is to get you to visit the dealership and everything they do is done with that in mind. They believe once they have you on site they can work their "magic" to get you to buy on their terms. That is, obviously, not your goal. It is always good to keep them guessing.

The amount you initially offer should start at your computed base amount, or a bit higher, and increase by small increments ($100 to $300) until you reach a deal or a price which is simply too high. Do not be worried about offering too low a price, there is nothing to lose. They are not worried about quoting a high price.

If a price cannot be negotiated, contact another dealer and begin the process again. Of course there is nothing wrong with contacting multiple dealers on line at the same time. It is, after all, just business.

You need to know your approximate credit score and available interest financing rates before you go to the dealer. Credit Karma is a good free source of the approximate credit score. Takes only a few minutes. With your credit score you can find the prevailing finance rates on line, at a bank or the credit union.

One thing about dealer financing. Dealers often make money when they broker the financing. If a dealer can match the interest rate you find elsewhere, let them do it. If they make a bit of money in this area, at no significant cost to you, they might be willing to sell the vehicle at a lower price.

Finally, the big thing. After you have made a great deal on the price of the vehcile do not throw it away in the dealer's F&I office. The F&I manager, who is actually the dealer's best sales person, will offer you numerous "products" and may provide a littany of stories and props designed to get you to buy. They are all vastly overpriced and of little real value.

Many of their "products" particularly extended service contract or GAP insurance can be purchased elsewhere for a fraction of the cost if needed. Smart buyers just say NO to every product offered. But be prepared, F&I people are trained to ask buyers to buy their products at least three times as they foolishly believe the only reason a buyer would say no is because the buyer does not understand the "value" of the product.

Good luck.
  • vashetvashet Member Posts: 1
    Hi Jayct,

Do you know the name of the dealer that you purchase the CRV with? So your final price before tax and registration for a AWD EX-L is $26,649? I keep emailing dealers but mostly got 28K+.....Any tips?

Thanks!!!
  • crg020crg020 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks cmks02!

I finally bought a 2013 EXL AWD!

O'Hare Honda offered to match the price I gave them from you on this forum however the actual quote turned out to be $26598 including the $830 destination charge + Doc fee of $161.39 and $25 electronic filing fee. The deal was conditional on financing through Honda Financing to take advantage of the $500 flex cash credit.

I wasn't too happy that they initially indicated they would match the price quoted from here and then increased it slightly. When I questioned them the games started a bit however in the end they indicated that was their best price and wouldn't remove the doc fee. I actually got the line, "If we remove it from yours we would have to go back to every other car we've sold and refund it to them." Seriously, do people actually believe that?

Anyway, I called several other dealers in the area to see if they could beat the offer and all were quoting higher and telling me to take the offer from O'Hare Honda if I was getting the EXL AWD for that price. Then I contacted a female Sales Manager (N*ra) at Castle Honda. She was very interested to gain my business and offered to match O'hare Honda's price. She was very open and straight forward and did not try to play any games. I told her the quote and she preceded to tell my what their invoice cost was on the car $26749 and also that the quoted price was approx. $1000 below invoice. She also let me know that the manufacturer hold back on the car was $700 thus they were actually losing money. I'm sure that is not the case however I don't think they made a lot in the deal. In addition to her honesty, openness and being straight forward, she also said the deal did not require financing with Honda Finance which was great for me as I had the cash and was planning to pay off any required financing with the deal in the first month. In the end these 2 factors made the choice easy and I bought from Castle Honda.

Here is a break down of the price - I added mud guards and wheel locks afterwards.

price incl. destination charge - $26598.00
    mud guards - $198.00 installed
    wheel locks - $89.00 installed
    doc fee - $161.39
    electronic filing fee - $25.00
    sub total - $27071.39
    tax - 8.25% = $2233.39
    total = $29304.78
    plate? - $15
    registration - $194

Total OTD incl tax and registration = $29513.39
    edited December 2012
    I bought CR-V EX-L AWD (no navigation, no dvd) a week ago. Paid $30,000 OTD, which included ALL the fees and taxes. It went like this: Paid with personal check $17,500, $2,500 put on my Am Ex (to get points), and then $10,000 financed. They gave me this price with condition that I will finance with them. I agreed, having in mind to pay off full amount as soon as I can. I called yesterday Honda Finance Services office and found out my account #. I went online and created profile and linked to my bank account. Paid $10,008.41 ($8.41 interest for 1 week). The dealer applied $500 flex cash to the total amount and on the paper it looks $30,500 plus interest. They applied 4.4% interest, but I did not care. Total interest was $1,171.40
    Details look like this:
    Car price: $27,612 including delivery or destination charge.
    Documentation fee: $299
    Taxes: $2,450.60 NYS 8.875%
    Registration fee: $82
    Online reg. fee: $56
    I did not ask, but they gave me wheel locks for free (installed) and 2 oil changes which I accepted with no hesitation. Forgot to mention that I had my old plates from my flooded car and it was transfer of registration.
    I did not care how they name and would spread their fees, but they met my target price of $30k and I am satisfied. Good luck.
    ZIPA,, post the name of the Dealership in New York you purchased at. You should of tried to Negotiate that high doc fee. To many people just accept this charge of letting dealers get away with this.. Enjoy your CRV

I bought it from DCH Academy Honda in Old Bridge NJ. They were not afraid to give me a quote and negotiate through internet, and earned my business. Internet manager from Planet Honda for example wrote me a mini-lecture about how well they treat customers and so on, but did not give any specifics saying that it is not honest way to get specifics from them and then use it with other dealers. Their internet rep. writes that she is not authorized to give any details. Their tactics is to lure people into their place and then using their HONEST approach to separate them from hard earned money. It is the same as walk in from the street. The same BS I received from Route 22 Honda who complained that their competitors may find out about "structure of their business". I do not care about their structure, I just want to buy a car. Thus, they lost a potential buyer.
    DCH Old bridge is a good dealership i did list them with 6 other Honda dealerships in my prior post that i have dealt with over the years. I have found over the years if you call 15 dealers at least 6 will try that BS and nonsense about luring you in. Just hang up and move on like you did. Dealerships like RT 22 Honda and Planet could never get business from the smart buyer. They sucker so many folks its not funny. I'm glad you posted that info. enjoy your ride

• user746026user746026 Member Posts: 2
    I bought the CR-V EX-L AWD today (no NAV or DVD) at Sussman Honda, in Roselyn, PA.

I used True Car pricing for my initial 3 internet quotes. In addition, I sent out my car requirements to about 10 other dealers in PA, NJ and DE via the internet. Many of the dealers wanted me to come in and test drive the car. I refused and told them that I would only come in to sign the paperwork and pick up the car. Once I got a really good car price of $27,295.00. (Out the door Price was $29,314.00) I sent out a 2nd round of requests to see if anyone could beat that price. I also focussed my attention on Out the door Price, as many of the dealers charged fees and other costs to build up the price. At this point many dealers told me that they could not get close to that price. I was down to 5 dealers that were willing to beat the $29,314.00 price, but Sussman gave me a Out the door Price of $28,837.00 and they were the closest to my house so I decided to go with them.

I ended up paying $29,978.62 OTD, which included ALL the fees and taxes. $3,077.00 put on my Visa (to get points). The credit card limit for the car purchase was $2000.00 but I was able to also put the extended warranty on a credit card bringing the total to $3,077.00. The remainder was paid with personal check. No special Honda financing was required to get this deal.

Details look like this:
    Car price: $27,000 including destination charge.
    All Documentation and fees: $217.00
    Extended Warranty $1077.00 (8 Years or 75000 Miles) (That wasn't part of the original deal but it seemed reasonable, considering that my deal was the best price of about 12 dealers that I spoke with via email) I realize that they made some profit back on the extended warranty.
    Taxes: $1684.62 PA 6%
    Total $29,978.62

Last night, the salesperson called me to tell me that the car also came with a Power pack which I thought was how they were going to hustle me. It included wheel locks (installed), Honda plastic/rubber trunk liner an car etching. To my surprise he said that it was included with the car.

While at the dealership, I was concerned that they weren't going to honor the deal, since many other dealers said that the deal quoted wasn't possible. To my surprise, there wasn't any shenanigans and the only up sell was the extended warranty, which again didn't seem that outrageous to my wife or I.

I was very satisfied with my purchase. I hope this helps someone else to get a great deal.
    Good luck.
  • doc1948doc1948 Member Posts: 5
    What is this $500 flex cash refered to in several posts?
  • user746026user746026 Member Posts: 2
    No, because there was not any financing and they did not offer the $500 Flex Cash that others were talking about.
    Been reading through posts, what would be a good price for a base CR-V I live in Indianapolis
    Sorry, maybe I didn't make my message clear, I have no idea what Flex Cash or where it would come in on a deal.
    Update:

I ended up buying my 2013 Honda CRV EX 2WD in town (Greenville, SC) instead of driving up to Charlotte.

Car price = $23,529
    Tax = $300 (SC flat tax)
    Tag Transfer = $37
    Doc Fee = $349
    Total out the door = $24,215

I got them to throw in the all weather mats and this is with the $500 Honda financing.

Dealer is Dick Brooks Honda in Greer, SC.
    2013 Honda CRV EX 2WD

Dick Brooks Honda - Greer, SC

Car Price = $23,529
    Tax = 300
    Tag = 37
    Doc fee = 349
    Out the door = $24,215

The other dealer was Priority Honda in Huntersville, NC
    Car Price = $22,917
    Tax = $300 (SC flat tax)
    Title = $168
    Doc Fee = $499
    Pro Pack (all season weather mats, cargo mat, splash guards) = $699

I told them I didn't want the Pro Pack and they didn't/wouldn't want to take the splash guards off, so we were around $100 for the splash guards, but NO pro pack.

Out the door it was $23,984

I hope this helps everyone.
    If you finance all or portion (I was told from 8k to 10k by the salesman, but I would not trust him) of the money for your car with Honda Finance Services and agree to their conditions, the dealer will add $500 to the price. And on the paper the price of the car will look larger by $500, but you will be required to pay whatever price you agree upon. Their conditions are not very favorable for a customer, however. I have a score of 800+ and was given 4.4%, . It was calculated that if I borrow $10k, I will end up paying 1,171.40 finance charges which according to my calculations was for 2 yrs and 8 months This is what I have in my contract. How they came up with this figure I do not know, but I did not care. My intention was to pay off this loan in a few days which I did and ended up paying $8.40 finance charges. So, if you want to use this "incentive", you have to get their financing. I tried to explain this as best as I could.