Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Pagan1234Pagan1234 Member Posts: 14
    Hi All,
    Many thanks to Brian and everyone else for their input in this thread. I live in Baltimore and I'm currently in market for a CR-V LX AWD. I followed Brian's directions in his previous post and negotiated with couple of dealers in the area. So far the best quote i got is $24,174 OTD from Anderson Honda.
    Last night they called me and asked me to stop by the dealer ship this weekend so they can work on the purchase order. Now, i'm not ready to do that yet cause my offer to them was $23.700. What do you guys think? Should i sit on my offer or go with their offer? Thanks
  • mindaugaslmindaugasl Member Posts: 5
    I see, that is for 48 months. I have asked for 60 and got 0.99% - still a good deal. Let me know when/if you buy a car and your experiences. I will try to get EX AWS for 26500 OTD from Sport Honda on Saturday.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited January 2013
    Pagan

Here is my advise. Do not tip your hand. Call Every dealer back today that called you. Thank them for there pricing. Call 5 more dealerships near you.. Let each dealership know you are going to purchase Your CRV at this price of xxx at the end of the month from a dealer in Delaware. Tell Dealers that your price is what gets this deal done today Otherwise thank you again for your time. If you meet my price i buy today.. Play the waiting game... Your leverage is at the end of the month. The last day. Dealerships have the upper hand in the middle of the month. Middle of the month talks are good for feeling out and letting the better dealerships know what price gets it done.. Matter of fact..... The dealers that are calling you Are doing the same to you.

On jan 31, you make your best deal. Trust me you will receive every dealerships best price on that day. Then you could feel good about yourself knowing you got the best possible price.. Every month you wait to purchase you will see pricing get better thru the year. I would think honda will put out some better pricing after the first quarter with more help from honda corp. to dealer incentives for us. Especially if you lease there is nothing yet.

Post your Crv and what price you are targeting before any other fee's are applied.. Doc fee's ,dmv , and taxes,, and later i will repost with some more helpful tips if you would like. break down your best deal for me with all dealers pricing getting to your otd #

brian

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

Hi Brian,
    Thanks for your tip. I will follow your advise and wait until end of the month. Here is what i'm looking at.

2013 CRV AWD
    Invoice price according to Edmunds is $22,584
    My target is to get at least $1000 to $1200 below invoice = $21,384
    $830 destination
    $1,283.04 6% MD Sales tax
    $228 Tags and Titling fee
    $4.00 Tire recycling fee
    $200.00 Documentation fee
    $23,929.04 is the total out the door.
    i'll post my thoughts in couple of hours. check back after 8pm N.Y. time.

Brian

• vt010913vt010913 Member Posts: 5
    Ok Jakeabean. Will do.

Good luck to you too!
  • vt010913vt010913 Member Posts: 5
    I am kinda shooting for Saturday too but I just heard from another dealer(Jim Coleman honda in Ellicot City Md) that wants to beat the $26650 OTD quote. I am going to follow up and find out by how much - I will post an update soon.

Good luck to you!
  • jakeabeanjakeabean Member Posts: 6
    Please do. Thank you!
    Pagan,

Google...... High volume Honda dealerships with your state M.D. and Delaware. Email everyone of these dealers with make and model and ask for there best price quote on your vehicle. Do not tell any of them what your number is to close deal. Once you decide which dealers gives you the best prices and gives you a no nonsense quote you target those dealerships first on getting the best price.

You always work the dealerships that are furthest away from your house to get the best deal. OUT Of STATE Dealers FIRST.. then you use the best price you get and start with all the dealerships that are closet to your house trying to get the same deal or better. Meet my price i buy today. That is the key Phrase in the buying car game. all dealers no what that means.. Unless there a bad dealership..so good bye to them

Once you start calling dealers that are at the furthest point your willing to travel you say to them meet my price and i will consider comming to your dealership . Play the game. If you are a good negotiator you will get dealers to bite or come close to your offer. where john smith who lives down the block has no clue how to push these dealers buttons.. dealers know who they can get over on and who may be a quick sale.. Dealerships that sell cars are your first and number one target.

The last day of any month holds the most leverage for car buying. this is how i buy and i usually will start my process last week of the month . buying on the last day if the supply and demand factor is not in my favor.

Hope this helps

brian

Brian,
    Thanks again for your time and kind advice. I will follow the directions and keep you updated on how everything goes.
  • doofydoofy Member Posts: 2
    hey all, best i could negotiate on a 2013 EX AWD was 26k even OTD. i feel like i got a good deal.
  • erikliuerikliu Member Posts: 2
    I too am in the market for a 2013 CR-V EX-L, and I have learned a great deal of advise from all of you. It will probably save me hundreds of dollars.

I understand and agree that add-ons like an extented warranty should be left out of the negotiation on a new car to simplify things.

However, I am interested in learning whether any forum member has purchased it and what's covered, for how long, how many miles? Is the extented warranty offered by the dealership, and hence differ by each?

Any feedbacks will be greatly appreciated.

Erik
  • jscm86jscm86 Member Posts: 4
    I recently leased a 2013 CRV AWD LX and I can't seem to figure out if I got a good deal or not. Some online calculators say it was good, others say not so much.

Briefly, Here are my lease terms

12k miles/year for 36 months
    Total upfront: $3500(3k to reduce cap cost and 250 first month and 250 for fees)
    Monthly Payment(including taxes): $250

Total Payments over 36 months: $12,250

I spent 5 hours negotiating numbers with them and believe me they tried every trick in the book. From telling me my credit score was low to good guy/bad guy.
    What state? I am in MD and currently at 26400 OTD for EX AWS...
  • bluspiderbluspider Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    Bought a 2013 CRV EX-L AWD for $29,700 OTD with no extras in NJ . I don't think this is a great deal.
    I was desperate and just pulled the trigger. what do you guys think?
  • shrimpchipsshrimpchips Member Posts: 6
    I'm planning to buy an EX-L 2WD around Los Angeles. The best offer so far is about 26000 w/o handling fee. There must be room to haggle. Anyone have any idea how much a fair price is?
    Please share your purchase breakdown. Otd price does not help us. where not mind readers on what you paid... Post name of dealer, Sale price of vehicle before doc fee's and any other fee's you paid. your states sales tax and rate etc.

What is a handling fee?????????????

edited January 2013
    Some people call it destination charge. The $830 charge. Today I got a better deal which is 25800 with that amount included. A couple dealers are promising that they are going to beat whatever price others offer.
    i thought it was a new dealers charge there trying to get out by you.. LOL.

Destination Charge is the right term to use.. Every buyers has to pay this shipping charge.
    Try to buy the last day of any month. you will get every dealers best price with less headache and nonsense they pull with pricing

• sambesambe Member Posts: 6
    Hello Shrimpchips -
    I am also looking for exactly that model in the LA area. Where is the deal you received so far for $26000 - can you post the cost details including which dealer and sales rep you got the best offer from please.
  • mdgal0902mdgal0902 Member Posts: 2
    Also interested if this deal was made in Maryland, town of dealership?
  • jollyboyusajollyboyusa Member Posts: 1
    I am getting 2013 CR-V EX FWD for $23,416 plus tax and title. Is this good price? Did anyone got better deal?
    Also, did anyone got a good finance offer for new CR-V? I think Honda is offering 1.9% APR.
  • jjddzzjjddzz Member Posts: 5
    Hi Brian, do you have the phone number of James?
    I cannot post the name of e dealer because of their request. Also can you let me know your best deal so far?
    Thanks for the advice, Brian. I think I will close the deal this coming weekend because January 31 is Thursday...
    edited January 2013
    The best price so far is $ 29225 All inclusive OTD
    The price breakdown is $ 27884 (27054+ 830 destination)+ Tax + $80 + License) for a 2013 CRV-EX-L with Navigation.

This was from Irvine Honda. Only catch is that I have to take the color that they can get their hands on. I have not yet taken the deal. Not sure I trust them until I do all the research ;-)

I would appreciate a breakdown of the prices you got.
    I am actively looking for a CRV EX, I just care about AWD and sunroof, no need for other options.

Anyone can suggest nice dealer in NY/NJ area? Thanks a lot.
    My breakdown is pretty much the same. You may have a better deal since you're open to colors. Your OTD price looks a little strange to me because the tax itself is 8% or 9%, which is at least 2200+. Your otd price is only 1341 over 27884. Did they provide you the breakdown or you calculated it yourself?
  • shop4cardshop4card Member Posts: 1
    In New York, I recommend Yonkers Honda, in Yonkers NY. Definitely go through the Internet Department. I brought a Honda CRV AWD LX from them at the end of the year, when they matched the Internet Quote from Paul Miller Honda in NJ.

This worked out the best for me, since I live in NY.

Both Paul Miller and VIP Honda in NJ gave me the lowest quotes when I was looking for my CRV.
    What was Yonkers doc fee's . How much below invoice did they sell you the crv for..

jjdzz,

Call Weymouth ask for James. Do not call him unless your buying the car. And if so wait til the end of the month. If you do not know what to say you will mess up your deal be careful. Post on here first i'll help you. i gave you inside info so you need to know your numbers and what to say to close your best deal. i have so many people emailing me for help i'm forgetting who i'm helping sorry.. please post on this forum what your looking for and when you want to buy /lease etc... before you speak to them..

Brian

Friendly honda in Poughkeepsie is also high volume dealership with low doc fee's and a great reputation.. i never bought from them. My Cousin swears by them.. If you wont mind driving 2 hrs it might be worth the $$$$$.

Brian

Picked up 2013 CRV EX AWS Basque Red Pearl from Sport Honda at Silver Spring, MD:

Cash Sale Price: 24,452.05
    Cargo Tray: 84.00
    All Season Mats: 110.00
    Destination/Freight: INCLUDED
    Sales Tax: 1,490.11
    Tag, Title, Reg Lien: 280.48
    TOTAL: 26,605.64

Financed with PenFed at 0.99% 60 months.
  • jakeabeanjakeabean Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2013
    Hello, have you done anything yet? What was the breakdown of fees they gave you? $26 650 still your best deal? Bel Air stlll the best? Thanks!
  • texxtertexxter Member Posts: 1
    Jguo, I am shopping for a 2013 EX 2wd in Dallas and I'd be interested in learning more about the options that came with your car. A local dealer is offering me an EX 2wd at invoice + TTL with the following options:

* Hand painted pin strip
    * Mud guards
    * Nano Window Tint Lifetime Warranty
    * Wheel Locks
    * Cargo Tray
    * Nitrogen Upgrade
    * Door Edge Guards
    * Body Side Moldings
  • bluspiderbluspider Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2013
    sorry I got busy lately.. here is the breakdown

$26,363 Your Special Internet Price
    $830 Destination
    $27,193 Taxable Amount
    $1,903.51 7% NJ State Sales Tax
    $307 Estimated NJ Motor Vehicle Registration Fee
    $289 Dealer Document Fee
    $7.50 NJ Tire Tax

$29,700.01 Grand Total

On top of this, the finance guy made me buy gap insurance + extended warranty which costed me around 800 & 1495 respectively. Not sure how far this gap insurance helps, but I think extended warranty is worth it.

btw this is at Route 22 honda
    Hi all,

I want to get an idea about how you guys plan to pay for the car. The dealers are giving 2.9~3.9% APR. Anyone can get 0.9% APR now? My credit score is above 800, and I am in New York
    edited January 2013
    Pen fed credit union 1.49% up to 60 months. non military pay 25 membership fee to join.

did you take my advice on above post with dealer???

Brian

• strykmestrykme Member Posts: 5
    Just starting to do my homework in preparation of buying ex-l in NYC. Would like to thank everyone for negotiating tips and prices. I would like to ask for clarification in one area:
    On Edmunds the invoice for ex-l is $27,030 and the true market value is $27,588. which of these prices should I start negotiating $500 below?
    Also, any tips on trading-in the current vehicle?
    Thank you very much.
    So far the best otd quote I get is 28514.95 for a base fwd ex-l. I may close the deal this weekend since I do need a car to go to work. I will keep updating here.
    Start at the Invoice price of $27,030. Sell car yourself.. Most Dealers will not give you fair market value. Request internet price quotes from these dealers.. asked them all to give you there doc fee's. this will give you a idea on price in our area.. . Best price and doc fee's is all you need till you determine which dealerships your going to target for the sale.. your next round of emails might asked them for all OTD pricing

Yonkers
    Paragon
    AutoSport.....N.J.
    Hamilton......N.J.
    Weymouth....M.A.
    paul Miller....n.j.
    DCH ACADEMY, Old bridge n.j.
    Anderson... M.D.
    Friendly...N.Y.
    New Rochelle

Brian

Brian,

Thank you, you have been very helpful.
    Any word on Hillside, Plaza Honda (brooklyn) and bay ridge honda?
    edited January 2013
    I could tell you from past experience about those 3 Dealerships mentioned

Hillside... doc fee's $75 , wants final deal and negotiations done in showroom. Wont deal Online. I usually shoot them my offer price with meet it i buy now with credit card and move on.. they lost my business 3x over the years

Plaza Honda .. full of Bs... the worst Avoid them

Bay ridge... Cant compete with better pricing. Doc fee's are low. They will never give you there best price.

Staten Island .. Bad dealership... Internet dept is clueless

Hope that helped..

• sami9sami9 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    I bought one in washington dc metro area(NOVA) for $28050.+1240 for 8year/100,000 miles Honda care warranty.Looking back i probably could have saved $500 dollars as processing fee came out to be $395.00
    I was buying it for my wife and we spent about 5 hours at dealership
    Thank you for educating me but what i lacked was negotiating skills.I had internet quote of 28450 and salesman asked what i was willing to pay, and deal was sealed.
    I did the breakdown myself. Still have not purchased but plan on doing so today if things line up.
  • kumihokumiho Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    I just want to share my experience. Paul Miller has the online quote at $22841 (car + destination) and $299 doc fee. I went there, but they only could lower the price to $22800 (yes, $41 saving.......) and kept the same $299 doc fee. I left because the salesman did not care to make any sale or do any talking.

Then I got a price from Mahwah, NJ at $22711 (car + destination) and $199 doc fee. However, when I confirmed with them for the car color and how I paid for the car, they rejected the number. The "updated" price is $23262 (car + destination) and $199 doc fee.

Then, I bought 2013 CR-V AWD LX last weekend from Hudson Honda in West New York. The salesman (Anthony) was very nice. I did everything within 3 hours during their lunch time.
    $22700 Car + destination
    $0 Option
    $15890 Tax
    $349 Doc fee (very expensive)
    $276 NJ reg
    $7.5 NJ tire
    -----------
    $24,921.50 Total

Good luck everyone.
  • paul_1972paul_1972 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Saturday just gone (01.19.12) I attended a dealership and received a quote for a 2013 CRV EX AWD in Nevada with sales tax of 8%. The total OTD price was $26,800, included in this price I got them to add the Roof Rails (valued at $491 plus tax and installation) in which I assume would be around $600 with tax and installation. Therefore, without the Roof rails accessory added $26,200 OTD. Is this a good deal? Bearing in mind the sales tax in Nevada is 8%. Whilst there may be some other better deals posted on here from other states with sales taxes of only 6% which is about approx. $500 difference in taxes. Could I do better? Also, tomorrow is a public holiday MLK day. Is this a good day to make a deal with a further saving?
    paul
    your states sales tax remains the same whether you buy in florida or maine. you cant compare what other people are paying. every state differs in tax rate. only compare the deals in your state with your tax rate number applied to the car sale.