Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• crv_or_rdxcrv_or_rdx Member Posts: 15
    Thanks for your reply. I got a couple more questions:

What would be an average OTD for CRV EX-L in NJ?

I am confused whether to go for CR-V EX-L or Acura RDX. What do you suggest?
  • bob529bob529 Member Posts: 4
    Yellowtim, could you please give me the name of the dealer where you bought your car as I would like to do the same deal.
  • kerri317kerri317 Member Posts: 2
    I am buying in western ny.
  • yellowtimyellowtim Member Posts: 5
    I got it from Breakaway Honda in Greenville, SC.
  • flicker25flicker25 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013
    I called several dealers in central Pa. to price an EX AWD. After two phone calls, Faulkner Honda in Harrisburg gave $24,675 price (destination charge included) for EX model with Bridgestone tires, floor mats, wheel locks, very clean, ready to go. Doc fee $115.00--no prep fees or tire taxes. Dealer gave $750 more for 2003 Toyota Matrix trade-in than Toyota dealer did. Dealer-specific freebies included waiver of first-year deductible if vehicle needs collision repair (and if vehicle repaired at dealer).
    Very professional staff. Heather and Andy were excellent salespersons, Steve an excellent warranty/finance/documents person who went over everything clearly and fairly. Would buy from these folks again. We saw no prevarication or underhandedness while we were there.
    Note that this deal was made late in day on Feb. 28th--last two hours of last day of Presidents' Day sale. Staffers may have been working on final monthly bonus quotas. While we were there five other Hondas sold in the space of two hours.
  • chanchanichanchani Member Posts: 4
    May be Acura RDX is not a bad option . I was in the same boat but bought a CR-V 2013 EX-L .Witn a 100 dollars more per month I could have bought the Acura .
    My OTD price was -- 31, 500 .
    Looks like I paid more than others .

Thoughts
  • chanchanichanchani Member Posts: 4
    Sorry ,

Let me correct the numbers -- 30,500 instead of 31,500 .
    But still , looks like a lot more .I don't know how others have paid less.

Thanks
  • kameelkameel Member Posts: 6
    Hello everyone. Would you guys purchase the extended warranty? I bought my honda CRV EX AWD Feb 27 and have not purchased the extended warranty. What do you guys think?
    Thanks yellowtim
  • yellowtimyellowtim Member Posts: 5
    You are welcome.
    My suggestion is to wait nearly end of the month (end of 1st quarter), and then to negotiate with the sales. It's because of my friends told me that dealer is very hard to deal.
    Good luck.
  • gr8fuldavegr8fuldave Member Posts: 4
    Hi fellow Marylander,

$26650 OTD; what a great deal! Do you mind sharing the breakdown of all of the components of your purchase:

Sale price of Vehicle
    options/ accessories
    destination charge
    doc fee's
    sales tax on above amount// your states tax rate
    dmv fee's

Thanks in advance.
    After going back and forth with many dealers, here is our best offer so far:

ePrice: $25,580.00
    Destination: $830.00
    Wheel Locks: $75.00 dealer installed option
    Splash Guards: $150.00
    Body side molding: $286.00 installed
    Dealer Proc Fee: $199.00
    MD Tax 6%: $1,627.20
    MD New 2yr Tags: $273.00

Total OTD: $29,020.20

We wanted the body side molding but not the wheel locks and splash guards.

I would appreciate some feedback on this offer. One of the offers from the other dealers was at least $1000 higher. Is there any realistic chance of getting to $28,000 OTD?

Thanks in advance.
    Was this for the CRV AWD EX or the EX-L? Thanks.
  • flicker25flicker25 Member Posts: 2
    For the EX, not the EX L. Cloth seats, no nav.
  • shaliashalia Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I bought my CRV EX-L w/Navi for 29450 OTD in Atlanta Ga at Gwinnett Place Honda Feb 28,2013. I got the appearance package with the wheel locks, mud flaps, and clear molding on the door. I'm not sure if I got a good deal. I used PenFed car buying service and little more haggling. I now need an extended warranty. I'm trying to get atleast 84 months/120,000 mile warranty. Please let me know... need to buy soon. Brian I read all your posts!!!
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Shalia,
    I'm glad i helped you. i would post in the Honda Accord price paid forum there are 2 dealers that will sell you a honda warranty cheaper than the rest. just ask in that forum. you could buy this over the phone with a credit card. i never buy the warranty.. there are several people who will guide you to the best price and name of dealership.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

edited March 2013
    If my figures are right Invoice w/ dest charge is...27,860.
    dealer selling at 25,580 plus dest of 830.........= 26, 410.
    1450 below invoice price. looks like a VERY good deal.
    if you go to college honda parts your invoice price on acessories are.
    Splash guards=69.60
    Wheel lock......=36.60
    body side molding=162

BUY CAR FROM DEALER AND INSTALL PARTS YOUR SELF OR TAKE DEAL.
    I WOULD TELL DEALER YOU BUY IF HE GIVES YOU WHEEL LOCKS FOR COST.

Brian,

Thank you so much for your feedback. Whenever I go to a new forum I always look for a prolific and trusted poster and you are the man here.

David
  • razer51razer51 Member Posts: 1
    Just thought I'd share, I just purchased a 2013 CR-V as my first new car purchase I've ever done. We looked and test drove a few but really like the CR-V the best. Was not sure we'd really purchase (lease) a brand new car, but the dealer was great and the deal seemed good to me anyway so I'm the proud new owner.

We leased a 2013 CR-V EX in Black with a negotiated price of $24,800 and I added my accessories which were, cargo tray, all weather floor mats, splash guards, and rear spoiler for a total of $563 more. Not sure how good of a deal I got, but I feel good about it which is what counts I suppose. Car had two miles on it, 4 at time of driving off after getting a full tank of gas.

I wish for a few more tech features as I'm an IT guy, and I'd like better headlights and a better stereo, but none of those was enough to keep me away. We currently plan to purchase the car at the end of the lease. Our second favorite after looking at several brands and vehicle types was actually the Accord Sport, but no sunroof was a deal killer there. Sunroof (moonroof) is a requirement for any vehicle we get so CR-V won out.
    Dave
    What is the name of the Dealership? Good luck

Hi,

I am planning to get the EX-L w/Nav in a week or two. What is a good OTD price in NJ that I can expect.
  • dghtrfgddghtrfgd Member Posts: 30
    I'm also looking for a 2013 EX-L -- but without Nav!
    Any idea what a good OTD price in NY/NJ would be? I was given a quote of $30,723, but that seems like a lot more than posts on here.
    Which dealership gave you that deal. To me, its on a higher side.
    Bayridge auto gave me that quote. Plaza Automall actually gave me a quote that was $500 higher. But maybe they just saw a girl averse to negotiation walk through the doors and thought why not fleece her?
  • workingmom8workingmom8 Member Posts: 1
    Hello -- I'd be grateful for any immediate thoughts on this offer, which I received yesterday (in writing) from a Honda dealer in Northern Virginia:

2013 Honda CR-V EX 2WD

"Sale price" - $22,109.00
    "VA taxes" - $761.85 (Note - I've asked for clarity on how this was calculated, as it's clearly more than VA's 3 percent car sales tax)
    2 Year VA tags - $103.50
    Doc fee - $499.00
    Destination - $830
    "Appearance pkg" - $595.00

Total OTD - $24, 898.35

I will be paying cash, but the dealer doesn't know that yet.

Thanks very much!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Every time I've seen VA taxes, the rate is somewhere around 3.17%.. Maybe, some sort of "special" tax on vehicles?

Not sure, but it's pretty consistent.... and, I get to read a lot of posts about car purchases... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tom516tom516 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I got following quote for the Honda CRV EX AWD.
    Selling price - $25,419
    Doc Fees - $109
    License Fee- $200
    Total Fees - $245
    Tax- (DE) $956

Total - $26,729

Appreciate thoughts on this quote. Do I need to consider any other cost?
    Hi Brian125 - Is this price for the EX-L AWD or EX-L AWD w/ Nav?

I am getting a quote of 27800 + destination + all other fees for the EX-L w/ Nav. Is this a good deal or should I further negotiate.
    If your deal is for a exl awd w/nav your price quote is 634 below invoice. Add the dealers doc fee's to that price and thats how much below invoice dealers is really selling you this CRV...

Try to negioate a lower sale price. If dealer wont remove doc fee's add doc's to sale price of vehicle. that would be a good deal.

Not 634 below invoice then paying dealers doc fee's of $299 plus.

Keep on shopping and getting quotes from as many dealers in your area.
    Buy the CRV the last day of March. You will make your best deal on that day.

gr8fuldave,
    If you can buy the 2wd EX L for: ePrice: $25,580.00
    Destination: $830.00
    Dealer Proc Fee: $199.00
    OTD Price as above: $26,609.00 please post the dealer name as I am looking to get a cash deal like that.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    A thing to recognize is a cash deal does not always provide a dealer with the most profit. Letting a dealer finance a vehicle often provides them a "reserve" which is profit from the financing.

Sometimes a good approach is to let the dealer finance which, if they get more profit from financing, might allow them to sell the vehicle at a lower price. You can always contact the finance company after the sale and pay off the loan immediately. There are rarely any pre-payment penalties on auto loans.

The small amount of interest you would pay might be offset by the price redcution. Just tell the dealer you will finance with them if they will lower the price by a few hundred dollars. What is the worse that can happen? If they say no and you still want the vehicle just pay cash. Nothing lost.
    Hi Brian - Thanks for your earlier reply. I am now going with EX-L AWD w/o Nav and got a quote of 26300 on it. With that in mind, I am thinking of negotiating a OTD of $28k. Is that a good deal or there is still room for negotiation. What are your thoughts?
    Try to make that deal the last day of march.

Can you post the name of the dealership that gave you the quote of 26300 for an EXL AWD w/o nav? I'm looking for same! Thanks! :)
  • snapcatsnapcat Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    For a white 2013 CR-V EX 2wd

$24,043 sale price
    398 tint, security system, door guards, mud guards
    2,273.02 tax
    441.66 license & reg.
    399.98 doc fee

$27,555.66 out-the-door

Looks like taxes where I live are high compared to other states :( like 9 percent, I guess the lowest in the general area would be 8.8 percent but I tried cross shopping a lot of other dealers and they are just playing games and no one seems to think they can go below this quote.

Btw why is the last day of March a good one to make a deal? Is there some hidden dealer incentive for March?
  • mnc4494mnc4494 Member Posts: 13
    The end of March is the end of the month and the end of a quarter. The invoice price is not what it costs the dealer for a car. The auto makers have other ways of other compensating dealers.
    These are not anywhere on the internet and I would bet that only the sales or general manager really know what the goals they have to hit in order to get a "rebate".
    Example, ( note these numbers are for illustration only) on March 30th dealer A is 2 cars away from reaching a sales incentive that would rebate 1% of MSRP for all the cars it sold in March or for the first quarter of the year. Dealer B is 10 cars. The dealers have an incentive in the form of rebate money to hit the target. If dealer A sells 2 cars a day on average they are almost certain to hit their incentive. Dealer B sells 5 cars a day so they have to be more aggressive in their pricing to get people buying cars. Do you think a dealer would sell a couple cars for $1,200 or more below invoice if they were going to get a rebate worth $50,000.

How do you know where dealers stand? Only one way, have multiple dealers compete. The dealer that stands to get the rebate by having you purcahse today will usually get you the best price.
    edited March 2013
    Good points,
    The best time to buy a new vehicle is the last day of any month or at quarters end. You never buy a car in the middle of any month.. End of march is the 1st quarter for car companies..

Most dealerships do not sell in high volume.. By emailing or contacting 30 or more dealerships you will find and make the best possible deal on the last day of the month.
    Dealerships like Weymouth honda , Bosch, in Boston are high volume
    Price honda in D.E. sell alot of vehicles. these dealerships get bigger incentive checks back from the Honda corp. they will sell cheaper than the little guy.

like above post mentioned you could find a really good deal if you find these dealerships at the end of the month..

Here is the formula to figuring the market price of your vehicle and getting the best price possible.

1- Invoice price
    2-minus dealer holdback
    3-minus any incentives and rebates
    4- minus dealers Doc fee's.
    5- Once you know the below invoice numbers you call as many dealerships and speak with the internet or sales mgr and let them know that for xxx price plus tax and dmv fee's you buy that moment and will secure the deal with a credit card deposit. to hold vehicle.. If your a good negotiator make your calls on the last day of the month. there is no need to step into any dealership to get your best price... You work your deal on the phone then pick up vehicle when its preped and ready..
    6- Always get pre-approved with finance from the lowest bank rate or credit union.... this way you make the dealer match or beat it..This is the first thing you need to do..

This is the best starting point to any new car purchase. You always work up from this number.If you cant get dealership to remove doc fee's i always add that fee to the below invoice sale price.
    Doc fee's are added dealer profit. Dont get suckered into paying high doc fee's.

Good luck

brian

edited March 2013
    Most dealerships in N.J. wont remove doc fee's. Some will reduce doc's fee's.
    Example::: if i want to buy my CRV for $500 below invoice and that dealerships doc fee's are $399 my asking price to buy is $899 below dealers invoice.
    Why give any dealer large doc fee's. these dealerships sucker thousands of people in the buying game. If a dealer wants your business he will work with you. If not move on to the next dealership..

edited March 2013
    Still trying to find lowest OTD quote for a crv exl awd without nav or res.
    I got a quote of "well under 27,000"-- but when i asked them to clarify whether or not that quote included fees, they refused to continue communicating until i came into the showroom writing:
    "But you already have all the information we can give you by phone or e-mail, so now it's just a matter of coming in to Planet Honda to choose a vehicle you want and get ALL the info you need to make a good decision. Then all you have to do is drive home in your new car! For what day and time this week can I schedule you in to Planet Honda to go over all the details"
    What is their point of making me shlep into the showroom without giving me clarity on what their quote actually is??
    Do i simply disregard dealers who refuse to negotiate via email?
    If so, it looks like most of the dealers i've contacted in ny/nj i'll have to disregard!
    WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?!
  • malachai1malachai1 Member Posts: 40
    I went to plant honda once and found them to be pushy. They wanted me to give them my credit card before they would give me a price. I have a friend in a honda dealership who is pretty much the head guy so if you want post back and ill give u my email.
  • ziffiesziffies Member Posts: 11
    In my experience if the dealer was not willing to do Internet negotiation, pushy, ambulance chaser then they are not worth my business. There is always a dealer out there that willing to do the business that meets your need. Since I am only buying a car, I never hesitate to walk away and ignore dealer that wants to do their business their way.
    you will get a mixed reaction from the dealerships. I am having the same experience. Most of them would give only the sale price and would push you to visit the dealership. Most of the people you are communicating are not real sales reps, they are just there to get the appointment fixed and get you to the dealership.
    So, dont limit yourself to the emails. Talk to that person and get into more details. Ask them for the OTD price, tell them what price are you expecting and if they can match it. Get the conversation going. Make it clear that you are not visiting the dealership until they give you a OTD price. Some of them would still not give you but some surely would. And then you would know that those are the dealerships you are going to deal with.
    I have contacted 15 dealerships and I have decent response from atleast 5 of them who are ready to discuss OTD price and ready to negotiate on the phone.
    Hi Brian - Does the invoice price include the destination cost? If yes, then none of the price quotes that I have got are below invoice price, in most of the cases its above invoice price.

Also, the couple of ones who gave me the lower than invoice are charging high doc fee and some other stupid fees, which takes the cost above invoice price. So, in all, all the quotes are atleast or above the invoice price.

I also read something that you posted about the volume dealers. Do you know such dealerships in NJ/NY area?
    sure. all the help i can get
  • gyellingyellin Member Posts: 1
    What is your (anybody's) experience with negotiating the destination fee (currently quoted on Edmund's at $830).

Thanks, Gary
    Hi Brian and Crv or Rdx,
    I have the same question that crvorrdx asked--can i expect to get the car at invoice or slightly below plus ONLY tax and registration?
    That would bring me to 27,000 +tax and reg for the crv ex-l awd.
    Is that the number I should stick with and simply wait until the end of march to get it?
    And if so, what are the names of NY/NJ dealerships that have the volume to give that to me?
    Bayridge honda has quoted 27,900 including everything but the tax and reg. Is it realistic to try to get them to lower the price by $900?
    edited March 2013
    Sorry-- I should amend my last question. By scrolling through earlier posts i see that i can definitely expect them to come down $900 to the 27000 invoice price AT LEAST!
    I've been trying to find the list of good dealers to contact that Brian posted -- can someone post a link to that list?
    From scrolling through the posts i've gleaned that

Paul Miller Honda (NJ);
    Hamilton Honda (NJ);
    VIP (NJ);
    DCH Academy Old Bridge (NJ); ($26,873+tax)
    Autosport (NJ);
    New Rochelle Honda (NY);
    Friendly Honda (NY);
    Hillside Honda (Queens); --not sure about this one-- Brian?
    Weymouth Honda (MA); (contact James) (26,662+tax)
    Valley Honda (VA);
    Bel Air Honda (MD); (26,650+tax)
    Anderson Honda (MD);
    Piazza Honda Philly (PA); (27,018+tax)
    Hidy Honda (OH);
    Castle Honda (IL); (26,598+tax)

are all good dealers to try.
    What are some others?
    Thanks!
    edited March 2013
    just got back... here is my suggestion Use above dealerships. let them all know what your price is to buy, you could do 2 things .

1- take the lowest price you see in this forum and build on that number with every dealership listed above.
    2- use my formula on buying the last 2 days of this month. If you call every dealership on your list and tell each dealerships Internet manager or internet sales people that you will buy Said model, color choice and options for this price............ you buy that moment from them.

If they cant meet your asking price tell them to give you there best price and you will consider it . Call next dealer and down the line you go. If you do not get your number after calling all these dealers sit back gather your best prices you recieved and target just those dealers on March 31 the last day of the month. You will see they will all call back to earn your business. when each dealer calls you back tell them that xxx price seals the deal that moment . tell them if you want this sale i will give you a credit card deposit.
    Play the Game. Dealers wont give you there best price in the middle of the month. The last 2 days is when you start your buying process.
    here are a couple more dealerships that are high volume dealerships.

Yonkers honda
    Herb Chambers in M.A
    Price Honda ....D.E

All dealerships that want you to come down make sure you decline. Work your best deal online or by phone with the sales manager or internet manager.
    Ask for them directly to discuss price.

On the last 2days / last day of any month is when we have the most buying leverage. If your not A GOOD NEGOTIATOR start your buying process on the 2nd to last day . Last day is the best time to buy... Start late afternoon if you are good..Dealerships are trying to make there Sales quotes and end of the month incentives.

I buy my vehicles the last day of any month. Online or buy phone Dont waste your time walking thru these dealerships unless its the last day of any month.

Doc fee's are added dealer profit know what each dealers doc fee's are and add there doc fee's to sale price of vehicle. Do not let these dealerships take back 3 to 6 hundred in doc fee's. The smart buyer can get around this fee.

hope this helps

Brian

edited March 2013
    If your not a good negotiator. Email about 50 dealerships with what your looking to buy and price. that usually breaks the ice and you could email them back and forth.
    The key thing is your telling each dealership what price you will buy at .
    On the last day of march you make your best deal..

Yes all dealerships that wont deal online, or phone move on..... only dealerships with in driven range you might want to visit on the last day of any month. like 7pm before they close.. Dest/charge of 830 is paid by buyer cant negotiate that charge .