Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Rick Case honda... Put there high doc fee's on the sale price of car.
    i bought 2 honda's from them over the years.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• suvcrvsuvcrv Member Posts: 6
    Ok, Brian, I am trying to do exactly what you told me and am waiting it out an prepared to go to next month at the end if I have to.

Here is what I am looking at with one dealer that has been emailing me daily to try to work a deal:

AWD HONDA CRV EX-L with NAV AWD
    Car Price: $27,500 (inlcudes Destination fee)
    SCV Fee: $199
    TAG & Title Fee: $154.50
    Tax : 5.5% (How do I calculate the tax?)
    OTD: $29,366.00

I also asked about some added options but they are quoting me almost $4,000 on options that I can purchase online for $2,600 but I do not know what it would cost to have them installed. Should I purchase through dealer with warranty or purchase online and have installed. If so where do I go to get the installed?

I have two other dealers sending over quotes right now that said they are going to beat the price and a third that told me they will beat anyones final price. I am waiting on the emails.
    Ok, Brian, I am trying to do exactly what you told me and am waiting it out an prepared to go to next month at the end if I have to.

Here is what I am looking at with one dealer that has been emailing me daily to try to work a deal:

AWD HONDA CRV EX-L with NAV AWD
    Car Price: $27,500 (includes Destination fee)
    SUV Fee: $199
    TAG & Title Fee: $154.50
    Tax : 5.5% (How do I calculate the tax?)
    OTD: $29,366.00

I also asked about some added options but they are quoting me almost $4,000 on options that I can purchase online for $2,600 but I do not know what it would cost to have them installed. Should I purchase through dealer with warranty or purchase online and have installed. If so where do I go to get the installed?

I have two other dealers sending over quotes right now that said they are going to beat the price and a third that told me they will beat anyones final price. I am waiting on the emails.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    The last time I bought a car I got had. I would like to know if this is a good price for a 2013 CRV EX!

Sell Price: $23,786

+ Taxes, Tags (transfer tag), Fees

Total O.T.D. : $26,214.14

Taxes and tags may be part of the price you pay, but don't tell us much about your deal because the state sets those.

What you left out that is important is what the doc fee is.

Assuming it's an EX 2WD, invoice is $24209, so you're getting most of the holdback. Could be a decent deal, could be a good one for the dealer. Don't know without knowing the doc fee.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
  • mnc4494mnc4494 Member Posts: 13
    I just want to verify your numbers so far.

2013 CRV EXL-NAV AWD

MSRP 31,125 (Destination included)
    Invoice 29,264 (Destination included)

Your quote 27,500 (Destination included)

Are dealer doc fees included in any price?

Does your state charge the SUV Fee or is that a dealer fee?

Tax is calculated on the price of the car so it would be 5.5% of 27,500.

$4,000 sounds like a lot of options, way beyond mud guards and roof rails.

you are about 1,736 below invoice. Good going so far.
  • sam1461sam1461 Member Posts: 16
    H Brian,
    I am going to close in on the deal tomm like you expected. I emailed all the dealers for lowest price and got them bidding and all but one dealer offered me a deal for 25050 out of door including all whether floor mats and cargo tray (which comes to about 250 $)taxes are 6.5 % in MN.
    The invoice is 23414 , so I think it's roughly 600 below invoice, am happy with the deal but the Kona coffee color was not available so he said it might take him 2 weeks to get it and I agreed as I am in no rush.

Although I am happy with the deal my biggest consolation is that there is no dealer who even responded to match that price in a 100 mile radius so I am content that I did not leave any stone unturned and got as low as I could in the time frame.

Thanks for all your help.
    Sam
    Close out your deal on friday. If your not going to buy like my prior post suggested by emailing/ calling these dealerships and telling them this is my price i buy at . then take the lowest price the 3 dealers are giving you and buy. buy parts online and have a reputable shop install them..

edited March 2013
    Sam
    Good job.. get them involved in pricing make your deal friday or sat. Every time one dealers gives you a price tell them the other honda dealership is cheaper . If your still at 600 below on friday tell other dealers that 800 gets it done on that day . play the game til you feel you are satisfied with your price. Time is still on your side.... tell every dealer that the other dealers are giving you free bee's like oil changes, car washes etc.

Call the closest dealer to your house and make them match or beat your best deal. On Friday night if you have not struck a deal yet..

edited March 2013
    Sorry about that I didn't notice the incorrect word: SUV should have been SVC for service fee or in some places called a doc fee.

I am looking at alot of options but may not get them due to the price of the car and what the dealers are asking for install fees.

Some of the other dealers are telling me there is no way that any dealer is going to sell me this car at this price and that they are going to add to it when I go in to pick up. But there are others that are offering to beat it.
    If you make your calls on friday to as many dealerships with meet my price i buy . you will have your own answers on pricing and where the market is for your vehicle in your state.. Once you do your homework with your targeted dealerships you make your best deal. dont always believe some of the posted prices in these forums. people lie.

I have been helping and telling people for years in this edmunds forum

How you find out market price,
    and how to make your best deal with the least amount of wasted dealership time and B.S.

post your deals so you could help the other members.

good luck and happy hunting

Will do as you said. Thank you. I will let you know what happens by the weekend!
    OK, factoring in the SVC you are at about $1,500 below invoice, that is a pretty good price. Honda tends to be a little tighter than other manufacturers, but there are always exceptions. Yes, I heard the same thing from dealers that they could not believe a dealer was going to sell me a CRV at that price. Well a dealer did and if you find a dealer in a situation where they can make a bonus worth $50,000 by selling a car or two at a "loss" to an educated buyer than both the seller and buyer win.
    Is it the best price you can get, you will only know by having dealers compete against each other.
    Again , follow Brian's advice and decide on Friday or Saturday. It is the end of the month and the end of the quarter. Dealers that are close to meeting sales incentives will be more likely to give you a better price. The only way you can find out is to have multiple dealers competing to sell you a car.
    Just in case it is always a good idea to keep the next lowest offer open in case your low bidder is going to play games, you have a backup and can walk. Don't wait too long on Saturday at 9am you have options, at 4pm you may run out of time unless your dealers are open Sunday.
    you will do just fine .

edited March 2013
    Good advice.
    i never try to burn bridges with my lowest bidders. sometimes its as many as 5 to10 dealerships.

• shamilshamil Member Posts: 5
    I plan to buy Honda CR-V EX FWD and requested quotes from dealers. The one that I have got is $26, 633 (OTD price). Does OTD include sales tax? Is it a good offer for Dallas/FortWorth area?
  • dghtrfgddghtrfgd Member Posts: 30
    So far the lowest quote I'm getting is 27,236 on 2013 crv exl awd (otd before tax+dmv). I want to be OTD before nyc taxes and dmv at 27,000--but if no one meets my price by tomorrow or saturday-- Should I expect to start fielding HIGHER quotes in the beginning of April, and then wait again for the end of the month to try to get my price?
    why are you jumping the gun. let these 2 days play out. start your buying process tomm. If you do not reach your target price wait til next month.
    Honda may put out a cash incentive for april depending on there sales. will have to wait and see.

• dghtrfgddghtrfgd Member Posts: 30
    Seems like the decision might have been made for me, since my insurance office is closed for Easter until Monday April 1st.
    This being my first car purchase-- i'm not sure how the buying process works-- can you close on a deal and not pick up the car for a few days waiting for the insurance to come through?
    will the dealership still be as anxious to get my business if i wont pick up the car until AFTER the end of the month (beginning of april)?
    As long as you buy the car and do the paperwork by sat the 30th you can pick up the car later that week. .

• ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,190
    At 27236 including doc fee, you're 624 under invoice... which means you've gotten all of his holdback, and he's just trying for the bonus money from Honda.

How many CR-V's does he have? Do you care what color you get? I think you'd have to wait until the dealer is pretty sure of the bonus from Honda before you can get any lower in April.

If I was in the market and ready to buy a CR-V right now, I'd pull the trigger at that price.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2013 VW Jetta 2.5SE
    Hey guys! $26,633 OTD for Honda CRV EX. Is it a good offer?
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You are automatically insured based on the coverage you have on your current cars.

You have 30 days to get the new car info to them but I know I wouldn't wait that long!
  • 28mufields28mufields Member Posts: 5
    check your car's inv price in this website, add $830 dest fee, add tax, add any doc fee, reg fee, then you got your base OTD price.
  • marchcarmarchcar Member Posts: 5
    So, I am getting ready to make my deal tomorrow. I have done all my negotiations over email and have called a few dealerships that I have been dealing with today to try and make some deals with pricing. Two dealers said that they will need to talk to their GM to meet or beat a price. So I am thinking I will know what dealership I will be buying my car from by late tomorrow am. So far the lowest price I have is 25937 OTD. Hopefully it will all work out tomorrow!

any last minute advice??
    Thanks
    stick to your target price. get more dealerships involved today.
    post your deal it will help the other forum members

• tom516tom516 Member Posts: 5
    Hi
    I have bought exl awd for 26152.all inclusive.
    Thanks brain for your nice advice.
    edited March 2013
    Tom
    glad to help........ Enjoy your CRV
    What dealer did you end up buying from

• ar57ar57 Member Posts: 3
    Did that include sales tax and destination?
  • galacius29galacius29 Member Posts: 1
    Ended up buying a EX-L AWD but was looking at LX AWD and EX AWD versions as well. Best price OTD inclusive of everything including taxes and whatnot was $24.5K for LX, $26K EX, and $29K EX-L

I think the EX was the best deal but I bought the EX-L. I think the EX-L actual vehicle price was like $26.6K before any other stuff.

Happy hunting.
  • chris343chris343 Member Posts: 8
    No, I got one 3 months ago for 25820 OTD in Dallas. My friend just got one today for 24.7K otd in Chicago.
  • 28mufields28mufields Member Posts: 5
    Just got exl w/ nav 2wd at OTD 30K, thank you everyone's help here, especially Brain and ronsteven
  • wwmikewwmike Member Posts: 2
    I live in New Jersey and have been in contact with several dealers. Best quote (including dest fee) was $27,385. Is this a reasonable price to pay? Thanks.
  • tom516tom516 Member Posts: 5
    Hi Brain,

I bought from pohanka honda, capitol heights, MD(100 miles away from my place). They are very professional and straight forward. My price for honda CRV EXL AWD is 26156(OTD) (Tax 3.75 for DE, tags, destination charges and all other charges). Dealers here in DE give me quote of 26650 for the EX.

Thanks again for your help....
  • fergn8rfergn8r Member Posts: 1
    Hello all. I have a meeting set up for tomorrow to sign papers on a new Honda CRV LX AWD with no added fanciness (Just the base model). I am purchasing in Roanoke, VA. Basically, I would like to know if I have done a decent job with my negotiating. The vehicle price is 22,690 plus 389 processing fee, 22 license/title, and 738.52 sales tax for a total of $23,839.53.

I believe I have done enough research to feel comfortable with this price. I don't feel like I am getting a bad deal but I am still nervous to pull the trigger. My wife and I are expecting our first child in May and need to find the best deal possible. Thanks in advance for the feedback.
  • ar57ar57 Member Posts: 3
    Does 26,156 include sales tax, destination and other charges? They offered it to me for $27,000, not including sales tax
  • grivera69grivera69 Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I just purchased an LX AWD with pinstriping and mud guards. 22,500 including freight. only additional fees 200 processing, 290 DMV title/tag/temp tag, 6% MD tax. @ Jim Coleman Honda Clarksville, MD
  • macblurmacblur Member Posts: 1
    Pulled the trigger on the 30th this weekend on a awd CRV EX with roof rails,cargo bars, and cargo mat in the back options for 26575 otd. They were the lowest of the three local dealers and asked them down from 26800 otd to compete with an offer on a RAV4 that I had.
  • don125don125 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased an LX with pinstriping, mud guards, and tint window. 21,775 + TTL. OTD = 23,400.
  • marklar_leadermarklar_leader Member Posts: 2
    I have read many messages on this board but I'm just starting my search and I'm still a little confused. I have decided on the make and model.

My local dealer is offering me $29,050 for an EX-L with back-up censors, before taxes but including destination fee and all dealer fees. I'm in CT. How much further of a reduction should I be able to get? Should I back out the $530 back-up censors when comparing to what others are getting?
  • marklar_leadermarklar_leader Member Posts: 2
    Oh yeah, it's AWD.
  • wwmikewwmike Member Posts: 2
    I plan to purchase an AWD EXL CRV this week. My best negotiated price is $27, 385 including destination fee; excluding tax, DMV, and DOC fees. Is this a reasonable price to pay in my area? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.
  • dan49dan49 Member Posts: 7
    macblur where was the dealer looking for the same in Ma.area
  • bh1971bh1971 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I am planning to buy a Honda CRV 2WD LX. I live in Southern California.
    I got couple of quotes. But out of that the lowest one is $21,100 includes destination. Is this a good deal. on Truecar Factory Invoice Shows $22,243 includes destination and True Car estimated price of $21,400.

Appreciate your input
    edited April 2013
    mike
    If you want to save a few dollars buy CRV at end of APRIL.
    475 below invoice is not bad. dealership doc fee's are high in new jersey minus them off that 475. With little effort at months end your target price should be 500 below invoice after doc fee's were included into sale price..

Hamilton honda sold a friend on march 30th, 750 below invoice doc fee's were $249.

good luck

• sarayalesarayale Member Posts: 15
    can someone tell me what OTD stands for? Also, is it possible to get a 2wd in NJ? No one seems to have them.
    OTD= Out the door pricing (should include cost of car and any options and destionation charge, taxes, tags and registration and dealer fees. For comparison you want to look at price of Car-(include destination and options) and Dealer fees ( documentation Fee). This two prices will show you the lowest price. Taxes and MVC are fixed.

They do make the FWD and AWD. Are you talking to dealers and asking them if they have FWD? Getting your info from going to dealer internet sites is sometimes confusing and not always up to date. They want you to call so and then they want you to visit the dealership. Stick to calling.
    edited April 2013
    OTD= out the door everything included.

2wd are hard to get on the East Coast . Very few if any on dealers lots.. Ask dealer if they will order you one. your paying dest/ charge so whats the difference if its shipped to the west coast or east coast.

Auto-sport, and planet honda have 2 fwd CRV's on there lots. many have none. The demand for the 2wd are low... dealers wont give you great pricing on these models. probably a take it or leave it attitude to buy one..

Its all about the $$$. with these dealerships..

• sarayalesarayale Member Posts: 15
    If I am not planning to drive on snow, is there any reason to pay extra for the AWD? I already have one AWD CRV, which I can use in bad weather, and don't see a need to pay extra. My other vehicles never had AWD and I never had much of a problem. Is there any reason that a CRV needs AWD more than another vehicle? I am just wondering since it is so hard to get the 2wd in NJ.
    edited April 2013
    CRV is a small suv. when it does snow its a nice feature to have all wheels powered. When my kids were small in the 80's my wifes minivan fwd only had one problem in the snow. AWD was never needed... I agree with you.. Why spend the extra money if not needed.. plus you may get 2 or 3 miles per gallon better.