Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mrbeernoonmrbeernoon Member Posts: 8
    I'm asking 1500 off invoice plus 1000 off for flex cash and loyalty discount here in CA., this guy who sold me an accord last month says he can so it. The wife wants white with beige interior which they don't have, so now I will try to negotiate with the wife to get the silver or gray.
  • liboglibog Member Posts: 8
    I am finding that the dealers are taking any selling price that you ask for even when you are being specific about not including in an incentives at the time and are already factoring them in. They say they will honor your quote, but don't. They seem unwilling to even go below invoice.
    Example: I ask for:
    Sell price: 26934 (1500 below invoice)
    Freight: 830
    Processing: 200 (normally 190-200)
    Tag title: 279 ( some dealers try to play with this number as well).
    Tax: 6% in maryalnd (6% of sell price, freight, and processing).
    Incentinves: -500 customer loyalty.

Most dealerships will be straight up and state they can not honor the price. But the few that do play with the numbers. They will quote a sell price factoring every incentive: military, recent grad and loyalty (-1500) knowing full well that you only qualify for one. Then they will add-on the dealer accessories to the car. Big pain in the [non-permissible content removed].
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited August 2013
    The only good thing is if your not entitled to military or a recent grad who cares that helps you but the flex cash for financing thru honda is yours not dealers to add onto your deal to meet your asking price. Take those dealers and raise your asking price then let dealer factor in all his incentives. its will be a wash.

all kidding aside ..Your target price and you should easily get 1k below dealers invoice plus any incentives due to you. Next month the 2014's are on the lots. If dealers cant meet this criteria you walk and find another dealership that wants to earn your business. There are countless shady dealerships that are driven by greed of a super profit.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• mynawallymynawally Member Posts: 5
    I'm actually looking at a LX and we're at $23,100 OTD with TTL. That's the best deal I've found so far.
  • loveodyloveody Member Posts: 10
    I agree with brian125. I just did that today over $120 that the dealer would not budge. I walked out. Glad that I walked out and heard from another dealer whose quote is lower than what I was ready to pay today to this first dealer. Glad that I walked out else I would not have checked with other dealers in the area who are willing to sell you the vehicle. Will let you all know where I land up in pricing for my vehicle.
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    Really, an administrative service fee? There is no such fee. The dealer uses fee to attach some validity to this $599 amount. The reality is this is nothing more than additional profit to the dealer and a higher price to you.

You should request the dealer reduce the selling price to compensate for the false fee. If the dealer will not, it is time for you to use your best negotiating tool, your feet. Say thanks, get up, and walk away. Only then will you learn the dealer's true deal.

There is always another Honda dealer happy to have a chance to sell you a car.
  • ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    This recently happened to me. I negotiated a good price and fair trade value. The salesman then hit me with a $599 doc fee. In Virginia. I stated I would not pay the fee and would look elsewhere if the dealer would not remove it. As dealers cannot actually remove the fee from the paperwork for legal reasons, without any hesitation the dealer reduced the price by $300 and increased the trade value by $300.

Interestingly, there was a guy at another table negotiating a purchase. I overheard him also state he would not pay the fee. It appeared, like me, he did not pay it.

No person should simply pay such fees without making the dealer believe insistence on the fee will kill the deal.
  • loveodyloveody Member Posts: 10
    I second that. In addition to the price you agree, you should be paying only tax, title and document processing fee. That's all. There is no such line item as administrative fees. If delear unable to absorb this false charge, walk out. You will find another delear who is waiting for your business.
  • ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    I second that. In addition to the price you agree, you should be paying only tax, title and document processing fee. That's all. There is no such line item as administrative fees.

And if there is, you bake that line item and the doc fee into the price you're going to offer. Those are set by the dealer and therefore fall under the negotiable part of the transaction.

Tax/title/license are set by the state and not negotiable. Tax will depend on the price you pay, but if different dealers in the same state give you different numbers on title and license, somebody is pulling something.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • jersey91jersey91 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone had a good buying experience in Northern NJ on an LX AWD? Is the "Costco" price of $22,584 (including destination, but quoted a while ago) a good price? What's a good OTD in NJ where the tax is 7%? Thanks in advance for any guidance.
    Costco only gives you invoice price or maybe 100-200 off invoice, it's better to ask for 1000-1500 off invoice plus rebates or flex cash you can get. Ask for invoice price then deduct 1000-1500, then calculate your TTL, minus flex cash. Then give them that amount for otd.
    edited August 2013
    Update: got the deal for CRV FWD EX L, $1500 off invoices plus $1000 off flex and loyalty. OTD $26800 here in cA. Thanks to Brian we paid less than costco pricing.
    Will, your invoice is bit high. Fwd exL should be $26650 invoice not $27860, you should ask for the invoice paper they have from manufacturer.
  • harry7447harry7447 Member Posts: 14
    Paid $27100 OTD for the EX-L AWD in MD. Going by the posts, looks like a good deal. Any coments?
  • ellenellellenell Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure this is the correct forum to on which to post this problem, but the participants seem very knowledgeable about many aspects of car buying, so I'll give it a try. After test-driving cars for 3 months, I bought a new 2013 CR-V in April. Now, after driving it for 3 months, I realize that it's not a good match for me, and I want advice on when and how I can sell it or trade it in without a huge loss. My problem with it is that most of my driving is in city traffic, and the CR-V is just too big and slow for my driving style. I'm looking for suggestions on making a plan to change cars, and I realize that it might take 2-3 before I can do this realistically.
    If you could sell the CRV to family or friends or word of mouth from them your net loss may only be about 1000 dollars at this point. If nobody is looking for a small suv your only options would be to sell private and take your best deal or trade back to the dealership where your buying New vehicle. Might be a good idea to buy a 2013 left over getting vehicle for 2k or more below invoice price.

No matter what you do your going to take a loss.

One more thing to think about.. By driven the CRV for 2 or 3 yrs if you get into a accident where the airbags deploy/ and there is alot of damage the Carfax records will show this accident and dealers and people wont give you anywhere near its true value .............. especially dealerships.

• bj77bj77 Member Posts: 13
    Which dealer? Can you please provide the splitup?
    Thanks for your advice. If you're in northern NJ, do you know of any dealers who are easy to work with and might start negotiations at $1000 below invoice?
  • sfurqansfurqan Member Posts: 14
    I bought my LX - AWD from VA, for $23,000/ OTD including VA taxes of 3.25 %. Pohanka Honda in Maryland was also willing to match that price. Not sure how far you are from Capital Heights, MD.

Good luck.
    And the documentation fee should be no more than $50, perhaps $100 if the deal is great. The dealer's costs to prepare any documents are part of the agreed price. Most of the paperwork is prepared by the F&i manager. In cost accounting, price includes all costs plus profit.

Any additional paperwork is handled by a clerk who likely earns no more than $15 an hour and probably takes no longer than an hour or so to complete the processing.

The $50 should be sufficient compensation to the dealer for taking care of the MVA submission. Since that saves you from having to deal with the MVA, it is worth $50 or so.

Anything in a car deal represents a profit center for the dealer. Dealers know well they make their best profit everywhere buy the price of the vehicle. Any fee or charge which is not levied by a Governmental entity is almost pure profit for the dealer.

Just because dealers attach the word fee to an amount, does not mean the amount is truly a fee. Reading the many posts on Edmunds's forums, it is astounding how many people seem to accept documentation fees, sometimes hundreds of dollars, as legitimate.
    Thanks for the information--it sounds like you got a great deal and it helps to have the guideline. Unfortunately, our taxes are more than double yours in Virginia--and our other costs are probably higher, too. I'm thinking that a decent OTD price for Jersey will be closer to $24,000. Could you give me your breakdown? Thanks again!
  • harry7447harry7447 Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2013
    $25100 + $200 processing fee + tax + $340 tags.

I'm not sure if I can give the dealer name & person here. But he would be willing to give the same deal if you mention my name. PM me.

Thanks
  • arvjarvj Member Posts: 7
    So the 2014 CR-V has been announced today and the price increase is a modest $150 only. Considering this what would you guys suggest the 2013 target price (excluding the TTL) should be for a FWD CR-V EX-L? The invoice price is $26,549 for it.
  • sfurqansfurqan Member Posts: 14
    This was back in May. They pretty much back tracked the breakup into my final offer of 23000/-

Ended up something like this.

Invoice - 20920
    Dest - 830
    Documentation - 499
    VA Taxes - 3 % - 667
    Title and tags - 85

They also included Splash guard and Lifetime Power train Warranty.

I bought from Hendrick Honda in VA but Pohanka, MD was also ready to match that price.
  • lhdtlhdt Member Posts: 1
    hi, could you let me know which dealer did u get your EX-L AWD?
    Thanks again for the information. Yours is the best deal I've seen, but we're getting close. Hope you're enjoying the new car!
  • kappy4kappy4 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased it today at the following price. $19532.13 + 830.00 (destination fee) + 349.99 (doc fee) + 1346.29 (Tax) + 18.00 (Tag) - $500 (Honda Loyalty) = OTD = 21576.41
  • cowboy62cowboy62 Member Posts: 9
    That's a good deal. Where did your buy it? Could you give the dealer's name? Thanks.
    Three hundred and fifty dollars for the dealer to process the documentation? Dealers have been quite successful getting buyers to accept this addition to the deal. PT Barnum was correct after all.

Really, when a dealer brings up the doc fee, the best approach is do not pay it. Announce the deal is off and get up a walk away. Most times the dealer will give it up or, at a minimum, offer to reduce it. Most dealers will not let a deal walk over the fake documentation fee.
  • ltlladyltllady Member Posts: 27
    No person should sign a deal without questioning the doc fee. There is nothing to loose. The dealer will not drop the fee or reduce the fee if it is not questioned. However, if the dealer will not budge the buyer will need to decide what to do. It may be the deal is so good the dealer cannot remove the fee. The only way a buyer can be somewhat sure is to make the dealer believe the deal is off unless the fee is removed.

A dealer will never let a finished deal walk over the doc fee of there is still profit for the dealer. And profit can take many forms, dealer profit is not measured on the price of one vehicle. The price of one vehicle merely contributes to the dealer's profit. There is no way for a buyer to really understand the dealer's true objective.
  • masamamasama Member Posts: 4
    Is this a good price? Or I can get a lower price?
  • lacrvbuyerlacrvbuyer Member Posts: 2
    I am in the Southern California area. Brian if you are perusing the posts I would very much appreciate your input, or anyone else's who may have some helpful information to provide.

1. Can someone tell me the invoice price for this car (2013 CRV AWD EX-L with NAV)

2. Should incentives be reflected as part of a buyer's down payment in which case presumably they are subject to TTL calculations or should they be off the top in which case TTL is calcualted on the price of the car after incentives have already been deducted?

3. Are incentives still around $1,000 for this car ($500 for loyalty and $500 for financing incentive)?

4. Does anyone have any recommendations for dealerships in my area that would do the deal for $1,500 off invoice and then less $1,000 in incentives.

5. Can someone confirm for me that I can purchase a Honda Care plan from another dealership anywhere in the US that may be willing to give me a better deal than my dealer?

6. What is a good deal for a 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty?

7. What is a good deal for the windshield protection? My windshield is like a magnet for flying debris when I drive.

Thanks very much
  • lacrvbuyerlacrvbuyer Member Posts: 2
    is this with nav or dvd, or without?
  • jenfromctjenfromct Member Posts: 1
    Now that the 2014's are on the way to the dealerships, and I'm not really seeing anything that makes me need the 2014 model....what's a good price for a 2013 clearance model - EX-L AWD with Nav? I am located in CT. Invoice is $29,274. My local dealership offered me $28,513 and I feel that they can do way better than that - they have an overstock on 2013 CR-V's right now. I'm trading in a 2009 Audi A4 if that makes a difference (I haven't gotten to negotiating that piece with them yet). I haven't gotten serious and sat down with someone to close the deal because I feel I don't have enough information right now to do so. I know that since it's an end of year model, I shouldn't be paying close to invoice since it has already depreciated an entire year. Help please! Thank you.
    1000 to 1700 below invoice price should be the price range for a 2013 CRV. Dealers that have alot of 2013 is where you will make your best deal.

You need to visit 4 or 5 dealerships and work on getting a fair price for your trade in. You may find a great deal on the 2013 crv and a bad price on your Audi.

Labuyer, sorry i missed your post this morning just caught it. The invoice price on your model CRV AWD w/ NAV is.... $28,434, plus 830 dest/charge= $ 29,264. I would set my target price for 1500 below invoice. especially this time of the year and the 2014's comming in next month. You might be able to do better than 1500 below. The more dealerships you get involved the better you will do with pricing.

Listed below are the 3 best dealerships that give the lowest prices on warranties. You could purchase from any dealership.

1- www.saccuccihonda.com/

2-www.hyannishondacare.com/

3-www.bernardiservicecontracts.com

All incentives and rebates are applied after the agreed Sale price, dealers doc fee charge and your states taxes.

I'm on the East coast here in N.Y. so i cant help you with a dealership.

Good luck

• rufus4554rufus4554 Member Posts: 7
    Am about to wrap up negotiating with several dealers for a CRV FWD LX with no options, and was curious to know how others are faring. The lowest dealer is offering 22,500 OTD (20603.10+830+TTL+150 doc), except the car won't be in until after a couple of weeks.

Do you think I should I lock this up now or try again in a few weeks?
  • r_sethr_seth Member Posts: 6
    Got a good deal on 2013 CRV-EX AWD Black/Black for $24,800 out-the-door. We had to finance from Honda to get this deal, but we got 0.9% APR. This price includes $500 conquest and $500 FlexCash. We bought it from Pohankas Honda, MD and had a great buying experience with no pushy add-ons forced on us either.

Loving the car...family likes it :)
  • newcar67newcar67 Member Posts: 6
    Is this after incentives? Where in NJ?
  • mynawallymynawally Member Posts: 5
    I think its a pretty good deal - I got the same model a few weeks ago, for a couple of hundred more but got tinted windows. See if you can get the dealer to throw anything in. Since there were very minor changes to the 2014, demand for the 2013 at a discount is still pretty high. Unless your dealer has many cars in stock, I would close the deal. Where I am, inventory on LX models is pretty low...
  • rufus4554rufus4554 Member Posts: 7
    thanks for your input. i came to an agreement with the dealer for 22,500 OTD for the LX, and 24,250 for the EX. am going to let the wife go and drive one and see which she prefers. my dealer (not sure if all) seems hesitant to negotiate on CRVs on the lot, but is quick to sell me the new inventory on its way. probably because the dealer won't have time to install any options, is my guess...
  • jsrmajsrma Member Posts: 4
    EX-L AWD (no nav or res). Here is what I paid in MA yesterday in case it is helpful to others:

Figures below include all fees, taxes and first month payment.

Vehicle Price: $26,784
    Down Payment/Trade (reduction): $1,500
    Sales Tax: 6.25%
    Residual Value: $18,071
    Term: 36 months
    Money Factor: 0.00128

Monthly Payment: $272

Would love to see some replies how this compares to other peoples recent lease deals for the EX-L.
  • arvjarvj Member Posts: 7
    Does the target price of $1000-$1700 below invoice should exclude any incentives (e.g. currently there is a $500 Loyalty/Conquest cash back and another $500 as Flex cash for financing through Honda) ... or rather it should include the available incentives. Also, when we talk of target price ... it excludes the TTL right?
  • aks10aks10 Member Posts: 1
    Hello jsrma,
    Just wondering where (which dealer) did you buy your CR-V from? I am looking for the same CR-V EX-L model and I live in Boston. If your dealer is nearby, then I can try the same dealer wih the same price as yours..
    thanks,
    AKS
    your target price should be seperate, adding any incentives/ rebates after getting your asking price.

• jsrmajsrma Member Posts: 4
    Hi AKS,

If you want to private message me I'll send you the dealer and sales person info. I just don't want to get anyone in trouble by posting their info online.

jsrMA
  • agentbuckyagentbucky Member Posts: 1
    Newbie here... how do you private message someone on this forum?
  • goblue26goblue26 Member Posts: 4
    I live in Southern California and was offered $25,900 for a 2013 CRV EX-L with NAvigation (MSRP=28,375) Is this a good deal? Also, I am having a hard time finding the Honda incentives for this vehicle. Any advice appreciated.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,100
    At this time, we have no private message function in the forums.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• achilles76achilles76 Member Posts: 3
    Does $25,900 include the destination charge? Did you get any rebates or Flex cash?

As Brian pointed out, the invoice price for CRV EX-L AWD w/ NAV is $28,434, plus 830 dest/charge= $ 29,264. You are getting it for $3364 below invoice. I think it's a pretty good deal if I got the numbers right.