Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tco05tco05 Member Posts: 8
    What you quoted is exactly what happened to me. If you're doing this at the end of the month, it'll start that way. Within a few days, someone is going to realize they need X # of cars to hit quotas and bonuses. They'll drop their price, and once they do, you'll start to see other do that as well.

Some won't want to do business over email. Keep them in the loop and just explain you won't do business that way.

If you're trying to buy one now, you don't have much leverage and that could be why you're not seeing alot of downward movement. If you stay in the market and let people know you're interested, you'll start seeing follow up emails. Tedious? Yes, but that's how you drive a good deal.
  • Options
    kaddy75kaddy75 Member Posts: 1
    I have an OTD offer of $29,500. I feel like this is a great deal. Should I grab this? I want to feel good about this purchase. Thanks for any insight.
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Need more info on your deal. Post selling price with or with out dest/charge and dealers doc fee charge. Then someone can comment on your deal. Otd pricing is different in every state due to taxes and dmv fee's so it does not help us..

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    kat91kat91 Member Posts: 5
    So, I have tried emailing all dealerships within an hour of me with specifications of exactly what I am looking for, and NONE of them would give me a quote via email. ALL are now relentlessly bombarding me with emails trying to get me into the dealerships. I did go, before sending out my requests, to Bay Ridge Honda, and test drove the model CRV I am interested in. Here is the breakdown of what they quoted me:
    2014 CRV EX-L AWD (Without Nav or rear entertainment system):
    $27,495
    +8.875 % tax
    +$830 destination fee
    +$375 DMV fee

Can anyone advise me as to how much lower I can expect to haggle the price, if at all, and how to go about doing it? Honestly, I am so frustrated with this confusing process I feel like just giving up on getting a decent deal. Thanks in advance for all advice!
  • Options
    rag10rag10 Member Posts: 1
    Hi

I'm looking for 2013 CRV EXL W/NAV. Please let me know good price to buy it?

Thanks
  • Options
    fnnclplanfnnclplan Member Posts: 11
    Here is the internet quote I got:

Year Make Model Trim Color Stock #* MSRP* Discount* Price*
    2014 Honda CR-V EX-L Alabaster Silver Metallic EH500926 $30,025 $1,017 $29,008 See detail
  • Options
    Here is another internet quote:

2014 HONDA CR-V CR-V EX-L WITH HONDA SATELLITE-L
    Your Price: $29,195
    MSRP: $30,025 (You save: $830)
  • Options
    last quote:

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L AWD with Navigation
    Your Price: $30,445
    MSRP $31,275 (You save: $830)

They can't be serious.
  • Options
    Found another quote:

2014 Honda CR-V EX-L with Navigation System
    Your Price: $28,534
    MSRP $30,025 (You save: $1,491)
  • Options
    charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    edited October 2013
    So, I have tried emailing all dealerships within an hour of me with specifications of exactly what I am looking for, and NONE of them would give me a quote via email.

Honestly, I am so frustrated with this confusing process I feel like just giving up on getting a decent deal.

confusing process? no, simple. jus go to dealer and buy the car.. ha ha

what did you request in email? "give me your lowest price? it's not like 6 years go or more cause now dealers know the internet game and won't let you shop price much. you think with smartphones now where you can showroom and call nother dealer at same time for cheap price?

read past few months here in forums for many brands. read carbuyingtips. read ridewithg. read fighting chance. if you want to play just with the email stuff you can search forums here for donkeypunch tactical warrior dealing which you can probly try since emails coming your way anyway

hubby says its a game dont be much serious untill you read the papers and sign so just have some fun. gotta go to a dealer or to and smile and walk if not happy. we just leased but it's the same stuff

good luck. make sure its a car you want and then jus have a plan more than give me your best price. read a buncha and then remember numbers or write them down. ventually you'll have info to work with
  • Options
    You wont recieve a good price by emailing dealers or asking for price quotes. Call directly to each dealerships internet mgr. tell each one what your target price to buy is. Let each dealership compete for your business and not the other way around... chasing dealers.
    All these dealerships know your a inexperienced buyer and they will play pricing games with you.

So How do i get the dealers best price?

Know what each dealerships doc fee is

Have a target price to buy. add doc fee's into your offer to buy so its a wash on the bill of sale.

Start your negotiations online by emails then contacting the Internet mgr. speak only to him

Buy at the end of the month last 2 days last day for best prices.

Telling each dealership I buy today for xxx price. Make them meet or come close to your offer price to buy.

Its not a hard process you have to know how and when to buy. Dealerships will identify who knows the buying game and who is clueless. If you fall into the ladder you know already you cant get a good price and dealers act like they dont care if you walk or not. Let them chase you.

• Options
    kat91kat91 Member Posts: 5
    Can you tell me what the range of "good price" would be, so that I can have an actual number? Again the car I want is a white 2014 CRV EX-L AWD beige interior ( Without Navi or rear entertainment). The advice I keep getting is "start with invoice and negotiate up from there", but I have no idea of what their profit margin is and how much in addition to invoice would be considered a good deal.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Here is Dealer profit margin.
    Any price paid above invoice.
    Dealers doc fee charge.... here in NY they are capped at 75 dollars, In NJ they range anywhere from 199 to 499 depending on the dealership. This is all dealer profit.

Dealer hold-back is 2% of Msrp on all hondas. This means dealer gets 500 to 700 dollars back from the honda corp just for selling you that CRV.

Any dealer financing you take from dealership he makes money.

All dealer accessorie add ons that vehicle that you pay full price for and not at dealers cost they make money. Starts to add up all these little extra's.

As we go thru 2014 dealers will receive more incentive money as they sell these vehicles making his profit larger and thats why you see bigger discounts thru the summer and end of the year clearance time..

Right now a good target price to buy a 2014 CRV model in NY is $500 below invoice. You may not get 500 but make that your starting point and work up from that number to no more than buying at Invoice price. Some area's may be able to get this price of 500 below invoice and many wont right now. Supply and demand will be a key factor. New jersey will give you a lower selling price but there doc fee's are 4x more than NY so be mindful of that charge..

In NJ if a dealership has doc fee's of 300 dollars you need to agree on a selling price of 300 below dealers invoice making your deal = a selling price of invoice price...............then add your, taxes, dmv fee, etc. for total otd pricing.

If your buying in Nj take those high doc fee charges into consideration when figuring out a target price to buy.

Auto-sport honda in NJ........... Int mgr George

New Rochelle

You will find good deals at the end of the month with these dealerships if the supply factor is there. Just a few new models will result in higher pricing. Go thru the internet dept and speak only to the internet managers. Pricing factor's on supply and demand. If dealers have many 2014 on lots the deal is better......................... less equals there willingness to sell cheaper.

I'm here if you need more help.

Brian

• Options
    anpanp Member Posts: 7
    Not sure if my question belongs here...however, have you heard of or experienced any CR-V issues with their exterior lighting (high/low beams) in 2013/2014 models?

I am still hesitating before making the move and considering RAV4 or CX-5 as alternatives.
    Thanks
  • Options
    dclark6dclark6 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the great tips! But what if I have a trade-in?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Take your 3 lowest or closest deals by months end and visit each dealership and see who gives you the best resale price on your trade. Use Edmunds, kbb or carmax for price references. You will lose some money on the trade. You will gain some back tax wise. Trade in price will reduce new sale price thus reducing your tax rate.

• Options
    pck3pck3 Member Posts: 8
    Is 27569.33 OTD good price for 2014 CR-V EX AWD? Please reply.
  • Options
    To get more meaningful advice you need to break down your deal without the OTD numbers.
    Every state has a different tax rate/ dmv fee etc.
    What is your Selling price,? Was destination charge included?
    What are dealerships doc fee charge ?
    Did you pay for any extra accessories on your vehicle.?
    Do you know what dealers invoice price is for your model?

• Options
    Here is a breakdown
    Buying from dealer in NJ (7% tax)
    Dealer invoice price 25519.75
    Selling price 25520 (including destination & Handling)
    25520 + 7% = 27306.4 + registration & dealer fees
    No extra accessories
  • Options
    If your numbers are correct you have a good deal on the table.

Your about 800 below dealers invoice price If you minus that dealers doc fee charge NJ has high doc fee's your probably buying at 500 below invoice plus taxes etc.

What dealership in Nj...... post for other forum buyers.

• Options
    mmzmmz Member Posts: 10
    I am not sure how you came up with 800 below invoice. pck3 price is exactly
    the invoice (with destination). It is a good but not great deal.
  • Options
    olddawgpowersolddawgpowers Member Posts: 3
    Basic EX-L FWD Sticker $28,525, OTD including all doc fees $25,560. This was a very good deal in my opinion. We wanted to pay cash, but they gave us an extra $500 to get to the $25,560 if we financed at least $7,000 at .9%. So we financed the $7,000 which we will pay off in a few months, even if we don't it will only cost us about $70 interest. TT&L paid at agency in OK. Got two dealer to this price. Was looking at Mazda CX-5 Touring, Rav4 Limited, and CR-V EX-L. It was a toss up between the Honda and Madza and they were both within $300 of each other. Just do your homework and get your facts together, insist on firm OTD prices in your emails.
  • Options
    I used Truecar.com as a starting point to get some of the dealers submitting quotes. For Honda EX-L FWD the Truecar quote was $26,240 and I got it the actual car I purchased yesterday to $25,560 which included doc fees and a additional $500 discount for financing $7,000 at .9%. I emailed about 4 dealers and told them I was making a decision the next day and wanted their firm OTD price by noon that day. All responded with pricing, the two lower ones are the ones I then called and confirm the pricing was OTD, no add-ons, and they had the inventory. Made the deal, and had to set through the final add-on sale, but held my ground and left with new 2014 EX-L FWD total cost excluding tt&L of $25,560. By the way, the dealer I bought at charges $299 for doc fees, so had I paid MSRP + doc fees it would have been $28,525 + $299 = $28,824.
  • Options
    steph_in_masteph_in_ma Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2013
    I am in the Boston area and in the process of obtaining a car for the first time. I am looking to lease a CR-V LX....no bells or whistles other than a remote starter. I am looking to lease but want to negotiate on price to get the best deal. Went to one dealership today (Weymouth Honda) and test drove the car but kept getting the run around so I walked out. Followed up with my second choice and roughly indicated I would be willing to go in and talk to them tomorrow. Here's what I've been give as far as numbers go:

Sales Price: $22,118
    Destination: $830
    Documentation: $372
    6.5% Sales Tax: $1437.67

Out The Door Total: $24,882.67

The sales price of this place is actually lower than Weymouth although Weymouth includes destination in their sales price. This place's documentation fee (which I know from reading here I should talk them down from since it's not a true fee) is $133 more than Weymouth.

All this being said I am really confused as to what my goal price should be. I read previous posts that said invoice (In this case $23,554) should be my goal. True Car lists the average for this make/model as $24,415 so I'm not too far off. Any advice on what to go in with at the second place with?

Thanks so much for any and all opinions.
  • Options
    Does this quote look good?: 2014 Honda CR-V 2wd LX

$23,775.00 – MSRP
    · $22,583.00 – Internet Sale Price
    o Discount - $1,192.00

· An additional $500.00 discount is available if you finance with Honda by Oct. 31, 2013!
    *2014 Honda CR-V 2wd LX subject to availability. Selling price does not include local sales tax, license and fees and dealer installed options, if any. Good until 10/31/13.
  • Options
    padspdpadspd Member Posts: 5
    I bought mine last tuesday at Primemotors. their doc fees is 295 and plates are 125. Go there and see if you can get some deal
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Unless i mis read his numbers dest charge is $830. dealer sold vehicle for 829 below invoice. We all have to pay the dest charge

Dealers invoice on that model = 25,519 plus dest charge = 26,349

He paid invoice price plus destination was include in this price of......25,520= 800 plus below invoice

• Options
    mmzmmz Member Posts: 10
    According to various on-line sources 25520 is the invoice together
    with destination (invoice alone is $24,690)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    I just checked 2014 ex awd invoice is 24,690. Poster pck3 provided wrong info his numbers were not correct on dealers invoice.

His deal was at invoice price plus dealers doc fee charge by no means a great deal.. Its ok.. You will find alot of posters in here do not know what invoice price is. and that should be a must when buying any vehicle.

• Options
    bailoorbailoor Member Posts: 3
    Hi All,

Yesterday, I bought new HONDA - CRV - EX - AWD - 2014 model. I think, I got the best deal . Let me know your opinion.....

I am Parsippany, NJ resident. First , I went to JOYCE Honda, Denville. The General Manager was bit rude. It was as if , either you buy at HIS price or leave the showroom.

Later, I did send few emails to nearby HONDA dealers. I got very good response from AutoSport Honda, Bridgewater Internet Manager. Its 20 miles away from my location. Still, I drove to make the deal.

It worked out... I got my favorite color - Kona - Coffee - Metallic SUV !!!.

MRSP - 27,125.00 - HONDA - CRV - EX - AWD - 2014
    Invoice - 25,520.00

I got the Invoice deal at 24,500.00 ( Inclusive of Destination charges of 830$). Here, there documentation fee is also less. Joyce Honda was charging 399$ and they charged me 299$.

I did not go for any extra add-on features. Showroom offered free one-time maintenance service oil change.
    Overall, on road amount was 26,750.00 ( Includes free - FULL TANK GAS !!!!).

Weekend, drove the SUV with family... Everyone loves it !!!

GO FOR IT !!!
  • Options
    Hi All,

Yesterday, I bought new HONDA - CRV - EX - AWD - 2014 model. I think, I got the best deal . Let me know your opinion.....

I am Parsippany, NJ resident. First , I went to JOYCE Honda, Denville. The General Manager was bit rude. It was as if , either you buy at HIS price or leave the showroom.

Later, I did send few emails to nearby HONDA dealers. I got very good response from AutoSport Honda, Bridgewater Internet Manager. Its 20 miles away from my location. Still, I drove to make the deal.

It worked out... I got my favorite color - Kona - Coffee - Metallic SUV !!!.

MRSP - 27,125.00 - HONDA - CRV - EX - AWD - 2014
    Invoice - 25,520.00

I got the Invoice deal at 24,500.00 ( Inclusive of Destination charges of 830$). Here, there documentation fee is also less. Joyce Honda was charging 399$ and they charged me 299$.

I did not go for any extra add-on features. Showroom offered free one-time maintenance service oil change.
    Overall, on road amount was 26,750.00 ( Includes free - FULL TANK GAS !!!!).

Weekend, drove the SUV with family... Everyone loves it !!!

GO FOR IT !!!
  • Options
    Hey you got a great deal... I will contact them for the same model, Hope I can get the same deal. Can you share Sales person or manager name? or how you negotiate with them to come to this number? As of today on road I am getting is 27235 from lehigh valley Honda in PA. Ya but I can also drive more if I am saving $500 extra.
  • Options
    I have near by around 4+ honda dealers ( Paul Miller, Joyce Honda, Madison Honda etc). But I got better deal from Autosport Honda - BridgeWater.

Here is his name / email id - Internet Manager - George Nealis --
    Email -- George.Nealis@autosporthonda.com

The registration cost is 280$ which includes 4 yr registration for NJ state.

7% tax for NJ state. Yes.. On single day, I saved 800$ ...

Good Luck....
  • Options
    saycanyouc11saycanyouc11 Member Posts: 5
    I'm in Austin, Texas. Please post or message me with the dealership names that will do this deal for you.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot Bailoor, I will save all this info and visit them after coming back from my vacation... I today I talked with one internet sales person Michelle and she gave me almost same quote as yours. :)
  • Options
    Barttlesville Honda will be your best price.
  • Options
    newyearnewcarnewyearnewcar Member Posts: 24
    edited October 2013
    Just bought a 2014 EX AWD tonight near Pittsburgh, PA for $26,200 OTD.
  • Options
    ynreddyynreddy Member Posts: 2
    Bought my CR-V LX 2WD for 22600 LX OTD Falls Church, VA.

Big thank you for everyone in the forum for helping me out in understanding how to negotiate with the dealers. :)
  • Options
    sfurqansfurqan Member Posts: 14
    Can you please share your dealer name ?
  • Options
    ynreddyynreddy Member Posts: 2
    The Dealer is Bill Page Honda,Falls Church
  • Options
    dks9dks9 Member Posts: 10
    That is really good price, congratulation !
  • Options
    maz183654maz183654 Member Posts: 4
    i am in nj.i bought a 2014 honda crv e-lx standard model i paid $30,668 out the door taxes plates inc.10/13
  • Options
    guest2011guest2011 Member Posts: 30
    seems like a lot for ex-l. isn't it about same as sticker price?
  • Options
    aimless123aimless123 Member Posts: 1
    I payed 26,900 plus DOC, title and taxes. I felt like it was a fair deal. I negotiated through email before going to any dealerships. I bet dealerships don't love that way of dealing with buyers but I am a sucker as soon as I walk in. It allows us suckers who are too nice to be less of a push over when it comes to a big purchase!
  • Options
    isocrv2014isocrv2014 Member Posts: 3
    PLEASE HELP!!

I am from Michigan and looking to buy a 2014 CR-V EX-L AWD w/NAV model with an OTD price target of 29,000 or less. Is that something I can get or should I wait for another couple months?

If not 2014, I can settle for 2013 same trim but with 28,000 OTD price target.

Thanks in Advance!
  • Options
    maz183654maz183654 Member Posts: 4
    i paid 28,068 be for tax and tags.
  • Options
    catcrvcatcrv Member Posts: 1
    Hello!
    Just curious about what prices people are paying for 2014 Cr-v ex-l awd with navigation in/around Fairfield County, CT.
    Any numbers to share?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    roxysniceroxysnice Member Posts: 9
    I need to know what a good price would be on a used 2013 Honda CRV EXL FWD With Navigation. One owner, 3000 miles, sold by a dealer in So. California. I will finance all less $2000.00. Please respond.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Roxy

This 2013 model CRV EXl fwd/ w nav.... Invoice..... 27,264 the dest charge of 830 has already been paid for by 1st owner. Do not let the dealer try to re add this charge of $830 back onto your deal. This is now a used car deal.

I would tell dealer you will buy that model for 2500 off the original dealers invoice price of 27,264 . Wait til the end of the month if dealer wont bite at that price lower your offer price to buy making your final offer at 2000 below take it or leave it..

Me personally i would be firm on atleast 2500 off invoice and here is why?

Anything lower than 2k is not worth buying on this suv. Remember on Jan, 1st , 2014 and tru that first year if that SUV is totaled or stolen the book value on that honda is considered a 1 year old vehicle by the INS. Co. Your depreciation will be around 2k or more on a 1 yr old CRV so keep that in mind. not to mention if you have a Ins. deductible 500/1000 that is taken off the top of your Total car price that Ins. keeps. So what is your benefit buying a 2013 year Suv driven only 2 months in 2013 and is considered used / opposed to having the full benefit of driven a 2013 vehicle for 12 months or 2014 model..... Price , Price,, Price

You still have 2 years and 2 month left on the warranty if you buy this vehicle.

if you need more help i'm here or in the Accord prices paid forum.

Brian

• Options
    ken117ken117 Member Posts: 249
    Buying a used 2013 CRV is not likely a cost effective purchase. According to NADA the likely trade value a dealer paid is between $25,000 to $26,000. The NADA retail for such a used unit is about $28,000. With these numbers it would be difficult to have the dealer sell for much less. The thing to recognize is dealers make more profit by selling used vehicles than they do selling new vehicles.

A new 2014 CRV, EXL with nav has an invoice of $28,234. The Edmunds TMV is $28,746. With a bit of effort, I have always been able to get a better price for a Honda than TMV.

Why buy a used 2013 when you can likely get a new 2014 for about the same price.

In addition, Honda has special financing of 1.9% for 60 months on new 2014 CRVs which is probably not available on the used CRV. This makes it even more advantageous to purchase new.