Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Ken is right you are better off with a 2014 model or buying a left over 2013 CRV on one of the dealers lots.

2014 model target price 500 below invoice to invoice price plus any incentives.

2013 model target price 1500 below to 2000 below. plus any rebates and incentives

The dealer that is selling that used 2013 model will be in no rush to sell. dealer knows he could easily sucker someone into buying at his price. You are not the one then.

Most 2013 models should be selling at 1500 below invoice at this time of the year.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• karman7karman7 Member Posts: 2
    Can somebody please help me with the invoice for 2014 CRV EX-L AWD? I'm getting a range of $27,170-$28,081 depending on a website. What would be the target price for '14 and for '13 assuming that I can still find one in PA/NJ. Thanks!
  • roxysniceroxysnice Member Posts: 9
    You guys are awesome, thanks so much! Here's another one for you...I found a Honda dealer who's selling his 2013 CRV demo (same trim), has 2000 miles on it. I offered him $23,764 OTD less tax, title, lic. He came back with a firm $27,366. I countered with 24,764 (2,500 below invoice), final, and told him I would buy today. He stayed firm at $27,366. It's a new car with 2000 miles on it, what does he expect!
    edited October 2013
    Target price and stand firm on these prices.

2014 - 500 below to invoice price is your target

2013 - 1000 below to 2000 below invoice price.

Make sure you take dealerships doc fee charge into consideration when buying.

High doc fee charges should be put into your asking price so its a wash on the final bill of sale.

Supply and Demand and your area will be factors in pricing.

I thought I had the right invoice price for this of $27,404 but I'm seeing it higher on a few other sites. Can someone please confirm the invoice price on this please?
    you can find all invoice prices right here on edmunds home page. just click on new car prices they are acurate.

• isocrv2014isocrv2014 Member Posts: 3
    Hi friends,

I am getting a dealer quote for a 2014 CR-V EX-L AWD w/ NAV for 31,000 OTD. Is that a good deal? Should I take that or should I shop around with that quote?
  • screenname2014screenname2014 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks Brian. And when you mean that should be our target, do you mean OTD or before tax?
    edited October 2013
    Your target price should be the Selling price of the vehicle before taxes and dmv fee's.

Dont forget when Your telling dealerships i will buy for this price xxx....Which should be your starting target price to buy,,,if you cant get that price you work up back towards the dealers invoice price making your best deal.

ALWAYS include the destination charge of $ 830 onto your invoice price so both you and the dealer are on the same page price wise and there is no confusion at the end when your closing your deal.

• maz183654maz183654 Member Posts: 4
    great deal
  • jo5jo5jo5jo5 Member Posts: 3
    Price is for 2014 Honda CRV ex-l with Nav & AWd. I am Getting $29k price.
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    Price, by cost accounting definition, is all dealer cost and all dealer profit. Brian is correct, the only additions to price are the fees and taxes added by the government.

A dealer who attempts to attach a fee, doc or dealer fee, is simply being deceptive. That dealer is simple segregating the price into components calling one price and the other fee. The truth is both are price. Reading the numerous posts on Edmunds, dealers have been successful in fooling most of the people most of the time. Best not to be duped.

Perhaps one of the Honda sales folks who lurk on these pricing posts would be kind enough to offer us a dealer's view of such fees.

I do not sell Hondas.
  • maz183654maz183654 Member Posts: 4
    the best time to buy is after newyears day.people are broke and it's cold outside,people are on vacation.The dealers need to pay interest on their loans and have to make a quota for the month.
  • isocrv2014isocrv2014 Member Posts: 3
    Are you getting this price as out the door? I am getting a $31k as OTD price for the same model and trim in Michigan.
  • dngo2dngo2 Member Posts: 1
    I got a quote from my local dealer for $27275 on a 2014 CRV-EXL AWD. Price is included the $830 dest/hdlg charges. Not yet taxed nor doc fees. Is it a good deal?
  • mrcampmrcamp Member Posts: 7
    edited October 2013
    I received a an internet price of $27,975.00 + (Dest fee, tax,title doc) from 2 dealers here in the NW suburbs of Chicago. Good till the end of the month. I am seeing an invoice of $29,405(already includes the $830 dest fee). Looks like and ok deal to me. I do have a trade-in, which I have not mentioned to them yet.

Edit - Comes to about $1000 below invoice after adding the dest charge.
  • karman7karman7 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, Brian! Do you know the actual exact invoice price for 2014 EX-L AWD with no navigation?
  • reid18reid18 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    Posting my info on my purchase since this thread was so helpful. I just purchased a 2014 Honda CRV-EX from Autonation on Thorton Rd. in Lithia Springs (right outside Atlanta), GA...my OTD included tag, tax and a 72 month warranty. But the price for the car itself was $23,400 including dealer fees etc. That was the lowest offer I received from all dealerships I contacted and was able to get the dealership from which I purchased to match it. I went with this location since I was able to negotiate up the price of my trade in.

Was worth doing over the internet and waiting until the end of the month. The price for the same vehicle when I went in for a test drive on October 2, was $24,999.

Thanks everyone for the info...I've been waiting to purchase this car since the new model came out in 2012. Great so far..except for the speakers...those are god awful!
    Karman7

2014 EXL awd no nav= Invoice price= $27,170

Dest charge...........................................830

Total w/ dest charge............................$28,000

The radio is not the problem. The speakers are garbage.. In My 2013 Accord v-6 the speakers are like music is comming out of a tin can. Change / upgrade your speakers......... it will make a world of difference.

After sending out my target price of $27,734 ($500.00 below invoice ((including destination)) to seven different dealers in the Los Angeles area, the best offer I got back is $28,088 (including doc. fee), which is $146.00 below invoice. TOTAL OTD (w/tax, title, lic.) $30,985.19
    Should I go for it?
  • sfurqansfurqan Member Posts: 14
    Just got our 2014 LX with and OTD of 24500 (Including everything - Destination, doc, tag and 6.25 % taxes. Hope it was reasonable. Haven't seen any LX updates in a while here.
    edited October 2013
    If your ready to buy. Make your best deal by tomm the 31th. By waiting.... another dealer may come down to your asking price. Its like a game of poker.. Play the game... Otherwise the dealership that is below invoice including his doc fee charge sounds like a good deal. You did a great job so far.. Try to seal your best deal.

Brian,
    I'm a little nervous to continue this poker game because I told the dealers I would be making my purchase TODAY from the one who gave me the best price...I don't want them to think I'm a BSer...UH, I'll try!
    Trust me that is not his best price. Dont feel bad.. these guys will work you over every chance they get. This is business and part of negotiations. I would tell dealer if my offer is not meet by tomm i will consider your offer.

• sp123sp123 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    I live in Fairfield County ,CT. I did some internet quotes and talked one dealer down to $28,079. I walked into my local Honda and he offered $27,979 (destination fee included) and threw in all-weather mats and cargo mat. Doc fees are $179 plus taxes, title. Good deal, folks? Pick up tomorrow.
    So just as I was going to tell this dealer...what you said, I checked my email one last time. I had an email from another dealer that was 100.00 less but he didn't include doc. Fee. So I called and asked. While I was waiting for a call back. I decided to tell them that if they give it to me for $27,900 (inc. dest./doc.) I would buy today. When they called back the guy blurted out that he talked to his manager and he agreed to meet my target price (inc. dest/doc.)! ...so when I get to the dealership they had to check and see if they had the color/trim I want (really??). They do; but then they have these dealer options already on the car (mud guards, door guards, rim locking thing, and a liner for the trunk; For $895.00. Long story short; I decided I'd take all those extra's for $150.00 and not a penny more, and I got it...Then as I'm signing all the paperwork (of course the last one to sign is the one with the price) they added $80.00 for doc. Fee. Told them if they wanted the sale to have new contract ready for me to sign by 10:00 tomorrow morning, and walked out. I'm going to contact previous offer now to see if they can match this one so I don't have to deal with these bozos again... It's the principle of the matter.
  • miltjaffemiltjaffe Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a Honda CRV last night. OTD price was $26,000.
    I was negotiating for a while. At the last minute the manager wanted to
    bump it up $300, but that was a losing proposition.

I have been on the forum looking, but did I get a good deal or was
    it pretty much the price for the car?
  • padspdpadspd Member Posts: 5
    Its a good price. I paid 100$ more than what you paid for ex
    edited October 2013
    Honda Dealers will not remove that 80 dollar doc fee off the bill of sale. By law they are capped at 80 dollars. I always like to add what ever the doc fee charge is onto my asking price thus making it a wash when its put on the bill of sale at the end of the deal. 80 dollars is actually reasonable compare to most states doc fee charge. Do not let that be a deal breaker if you get your targeted price.

How your going about your negotiations is the right way and will lead to you getting a good deal. If your firm and demanding opposed to passive and easy going dealers will identify you making your deal work more in your favor. Its not like your going for the throat with your asking price. Most dealers will lie to you at all cost. just like that one so beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• pankajspankajs Member Posts: 5
    I am getting a quote of $27,800 + Taxes ( 6%) + Licence and Dealer Fee ($234) = $29,800 (OTD)
    for 2014 Honda CRV EXL AWD.
    Dealer is throwing in 2 years of free maintenance ( Oil change and Tire Rotation).

Can it be considered as good deal ?
  • sp123sp123 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013
    I think that is good. I paid $30,131 OTD . Price was $27,959, my taxes were higher (6.35%) as well as license/title which were $185. Doc fee was $199. He threw in all-weather mats and cargo which run over $250. Feel pretty good about deal overall.
  • gomercergomercer Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to everyone for sharing the info.

Signed papers for a 2014 CRV EX AWD today (10/31) 7:00 PM at Open Road Honda (NJ). OTD price is $26,600. They also paid for my Toyota's last lease payment ($260). Considering that, the OTD price is $26,340. I took advantage of their Halloween special (first month payment up to $500). Though the Halloween special ends today, I was told they have something like it every month.

Like the sales people's no-nonsense attitude. They don't push for extras though you may need to say twice "let's pass it".

Thanks again.
  • saycanyouc11saycanyouc11 Member Posts: 5
    I've got a sell/purchase offer sheet from a dealer in Oklahoma for a 2014 Honda CRV EXL at $25560 plus TT&L. Other than TT&L, everything else is included: Destination, doc fee, dealer accessories (if any), full tank of gas. Must use Honda financing at 0.9% for 36 months. I think invoice for this car is $26,830. The financing comes with a $500 dealer incentive so we're at $26,330. If holdback is 2% then we're at $25,794. Is this $25,560 offer too good to be true? The dealership is 8 hours away. I don't want to walk into a bait and switch 8 hours away from home.
    edited November 2013
    Your numbers don't add up.

The hold back has nothing to do with your price. Take your models invoice price and minus 500 rebate for financing thru Honda. Call and ask dealer if he added any other rebates to get to this number. Some dealers have a 500 flex cash rebate to give.. did he apply it to your deal.

make sure this dealer added the dest/ charge in this deal of 830. That would be a game changer if dealer did not.

Call this dealer back and get the full break down then write it down.
    doc fee charge how much?? and all numbers that got to your buying number before taxes and dmv will be applied

If you want to know the best way to proceed with this dealer to actually see his numbers and make sure you do not take a long drive for nothing I can provide some help let me know..

Brian, I am really puzzled. I just spoke with the salesman and he said that the numbers don't add up. He said to me that invoice is $26830, finance incentive is $500 and holdback is $553 so the dealer is losing $217 on the deal. He says the new owners do some deals that are losers to get notoriety on the internet. I approached this dealer because another poster on this forum said he bought the same car for $25,560 plus tt&l from this dealer. I emailed them with that info and this salesman answered back saying he can do it at that price OTD including doc fees, everything else, and a tank of gas. He told me in his early emails that the finance people will try to sell service contracts but that they are optional. There is a $10 lien origination fee. He sent me a buyers order with the price and with a manager's signature. The post on here that another person got this price is what makes it plausible for me. Is there any way this makes sense for the dealer? Assuming I say "no" to all service contracts and add-ons once I get there, do you think they'll actually do this deal?
    What is your model exl 2w or awd model?

What you should do is shop around this price to dealers closest to you. Call 10 of the closest dealers to you by phone. speak only to the internet managers. let each manager know you buy today if they could meet your price or if not come close enough were you will do the deal.

make another dealer meet this price.

If not.................. have the 8 hr away dealership fax you the buyers order/ bill of sale with all the info and pricing, model, vin number and all the details taxes etc like you were at that dealership.. Once you both sign that agreement it is now a legal document.. you know can leave that dealership a Refundable credit card deposit til you get down to pick up vehicle.

Under no circumstance do you ever drive to any dealership that far away without a faxed bill of sale/ buyers order in place.

Congrats you just bought your 1st vehicle online.

I have bought hundreds of vehicles on line from out of state just like this. Once you buy like this 1x you will never worry about your local dealerships not giving into your better pricing from further dealerships.

The key is to try and squeeze the dealerships closest to your house into meeting pricing from out of state or miles away.

Good luck.

I have a document that says buyers order and is signed by a manager. It has price, vin, reference to Honda financing. It says in small print: This is an offer to sell/purchase only - see dealership buyers order for final figures, terms and conditions. So, are they using the "buyers order" I already have as a nonbinding enticement? Do I need to insist on another binding version?
    edited November 2013
    If you decide to buy the vehicle from that dealership You need the real version where there is a price breakdown and you leave a deposit with final balance due on vehicle before pick up. I have no idea what you have. what happens if you drive 8 hrs and they dont honor that paper.. Find out before you decide to go. Dealers are very sneaky and will do anything just to get you down to the showroom..

good luck

Brian!! I gotta tell you what happened!...So the next day (Oct 31) this dealer didn't call me back. So around noon I contacted the other dealer that was willing to do $146.00 below invoice to see if they would at least meet the offer of $27,884 (inc. dest. doc. and $150. for "protection pkg." At first they said that can't negotiate below the quote they already gave me unless I come in. I told them that I wanted to give them the chance to meet the price and that I was willing to drive further to their location to purchase because I wasn't happy with the other dealer and because they had been so gracious with me thus far online, and the only thing the other dealer needed to do was fix contract. Then they changed their tune and said that there is no reason why they can't meet any other dealers price in the area.. I went ahead and told him that I would be there in an hour. Then I decided to sent out another email to a whole different dealer who had been interested, and explained the deal I was getting to see if they wanted in...THEN, before I made the fairly long treck to the dealer that said he should be able to meet price, I decided, "what the hell, lets play poker!"...I called the bozos that I walked out on because of the additional $80 and asked them why I hadn't heard back from them and if they decided not to go with the deal...They profusely apologized and said that the contract will be in order immediately...On my way there I get a call for the dealer I just emailed and she said they would BEAT deal I was headed out to sign!... I get there and the contract was the SAME! I explained to them that I fully aware that they need to have a doc. fee listed and I was aware that it was $80.00. The point was that over the phone I was told doc fee was part of my target price. So I walked out again! Next day guy that OKed my target price called, apologized, and is sending me a $25. gas card. Then his manager called, said she was sending me 2 free movie tickets, and asked me if I was still interested in the deal. I told her that the only way I would consider buying from that dealership (after walking out twice) was if they knocked off the $150. extra I agreed to pay for the "protection package" She checked, and I got it! I went back in today, remembering not to count my chickens (especially with this dealer), and everything looked good EXCEPT interest rate they originally got for me was 1.69, and the contract said 1.9. Needless to say they changed it ASAP. So I ended up getting the CRV for $27,734 (including destination, doc. and Protection Package (retailing for $895.)... $500.00 BELOW INVOICE!!!!!!!!! Brian you rock my world!!
    Lisa (aka Roxy; my pit bull)
    Lisa great job..

You played your hand quite well and in the end it paid off with a great deal.

Enjoy your new CRV

I bought a 2014 CRV EXL today. Unwilling to risk going out of town and getting played when trying to buy at my crazy good offer price, I contacted the one local dealer that I hadn't spoken to yet. I asked him to look at the Oklahoma deal and discuss it with me. I sent him the nonbinding buyers order from Oklahoma. This internet manager was really straightforward with me. He said that the numbers on the paper resulted in a loss to the dealer and he couldn't do that. After wondering how the other guy could it for a while, I told him if he could do an even $26,000 plus TT&L, I'd put in the extra $440 to avoid flying to Oklahoma and driving 8 hours back. This dealer is actually in walking distance from my office. He said he would do it and reeled off all the numbers: Purchase price, tax, finance, license, inspection sticker, etc. I agreed to it. Said I'd be there in two hours. To convince myself that the deal was the best in town, I contacted the three other Honda dealers, via their internet managers, and started with the Oklahoma price with them. They all said they couldn't do it and spit out either reasonable analysis or car salesman-speak to try to deal. When they got to the point that anything near $26000 was impossible, I told them that their in-town competitor has offered me that price. The best offer I could get was $300 higher. I called the first dealer back and told him I was running late and forgot to write the numbers down during the first phone call. He listed out everything piece by piece and it all worked until he slipped in a $150 doc. fee. I told him that when we agreed on a deal that would keep me from flying to OK the doc fee was included in the $26,000. He groaned a bit like there was no profit left but took $150 off the purchase price and left the $150 doc. fee. The final deal was structured like this: $26,350 for the CRV, $150 doc. fee, $500 downpayment credit for using 0.9% Honda Financing = $26,000 plus TT&L. Allowed $5000 on a credit card outside of the Honda Financing (I use a 2% cash back card so that is $100 back). The 0.9% financing is for 36 months and can be paid off early without penalty. Dealer Invoice is $26,831. There was very little effort to add profit to the deal once we sat down to write it up. There was an accessories list to which I said I'd consider some items at 50% off the listed prices. The internet salesman said we should just write "none" on the page and skip it. When I went to finance, he said that sales already told him that I wouldn't buy protection packages, extended warranties or insurances so he took the liberty of printing all the sales documents and the loan with all of that stuff marked declined. Signing everything and paying took about 10 minutes. No bull of any kind.
  • lakmal1lakmal1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Lisa,

Can you please email me copy of your invoice or quote that says $27k. My email address is lakmal.silva@gmail.com. Thanks
    Yes, I'll scan and send you a copy of the section of my contract that has all the figures.
    Here's a breakdown in case others are interested:

2014 CRV EXL FWD W/NAVIGATION **INCLUDING PROTECTION PACKAGE**
    $27,654

Documentation Fee:
    $80.00
    (The total of the above is, $27,734, which was my target price of $500.00 below dealer invoice)

CA tax:
    $2496.

Electronic Vehicle Registration or Transfer Charge:
    $29.00

License:
    $180.00

Registration/Transfer/Title Fees:
    $100.00

California Tire Fee:
    $8.75

Grand total:
    $30,547.00

**(The protection package includes: mud guards, door guards (they are clear strips put on the edge of the doors), a wheel lock kit, and a plastic form fitting mat for the back. IMO that mat in a must have to protect the carpeting!
  • mtemple212mtemple212 Member Posts: 2
    Hello All,

I live in the northeast and am wondering what buyers are paying for the 14 CR-V EX-L AWD. Looks like invoice price is $28k(Truecar.com) including destination fee. I'm thinking of a target price 500 below that which would include the Dealers doc fee, whatever that may be. Is this reasonable? So for example, if the doc fee is $150, I'm actually looking at $650 below invoice for the deal. Based on comments on this site, the dealer has to show a fee on the paperwork so I would want that worked out of the price of the vehicle. Does anyone in New England who have purchased the CR-V give me some ideas on how their deals worked out? Also, I don't see any dealers in my area(RI) with any of the FWD models. Maybe this is normal for this area of the country. I just feel that in southern new england my regular FWD car is fine in the snow so why pay the extra for AWD if I can get a FWD for less $$$. Any thoughts on this as well would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    edited November 2013
    mike

The prices in the northeast especially by us are not as good as lets say maryland, DC area. Your target price of 650 is a good starting number. I would wait til the 3rd week of this month and start with your emails and calls to dealerships telling each internet manager for this model and xxx price i buy today making your best deal by the end of the month.

These dealerships have been good with prices on certain months. I would call some of them if there not to far of a drive for you on the last few days this month.

Herb chambers .........3 locations in boston
    Bosch
    prime
    Weymouth................2 locations

Supply and demand on these dealers lots will dictate pricing.

You may find that 650 below invoice is unobtainable if thats the case. i see no reason why getting dealers invoice price minus that dealerships doc fee charge can not be had. If you find a dealership with many 2014's on there lot is where your best deal lies.

Always try to buy near the end of the month last 2 days, last day for lowest pricing. Dealerships looking to meet there monthly/ quarterly sales numbers will sell alot cheaper than in the beginning or middle of the month.

Good luck....... post what dealerships you contact so the forum members could use as a pricing guide.

Mike

There has been good pricing from Honda cars of boston. prime and bernardi honda you have to be careful forum members have been saying these 2 dealers will lie and play games. To avoid the lies and game playing you need to contact and speak only to the internet sales manager on the last days. If any internet manager cant give you a price or a yes or no to your target price and model then just thank him and move on to the next dealer.

• lc1974lc1974 Member Posts: 5
    We bought ours in March for $200 below invoice.
    I can't thank you enough Brian. I learned so much from you. It felt so good to understand the game and have confidence; which was worth just as much if not more than the money you helped me save :)
    lisa thank you.. Apply what you learned to to any new car purchase. Honda can be a tuff buy depending on new and improved models.

Enjoy your new CRV..