Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• acurapriceacuraprice Member Posts: 91
    Got the deal here in Arlington, Texas - Vandergriff Honda.

We did use Honda Incentive Cash of $750 ($500 Recent Grad program, and $250 Flex cash) towards final selling price. We thought we were only getting $500 recent grad cash, until we looked at the settlement papers after the sale where they showed $750 as "cash on delivery".

Selling Price: $26,145

Closing Costs:
    Sales Tax here is 6.25% of selling price
    Dealer Inv Tax $58.05
    Doc Fees $150.00
    Registration Fee $57.75
    Title Fee $33.00
    County Road and Bridge Fee $10.00
    State Inspection Fee $23.75
  • hannahr1hannahr1 Member Posts: 4
    I was quoted 27,600 with protection package for a 2013 2WD CRV EXL W/NAVI. Is this a good price? Does not include Tax, Title and license or documentation fee which is $449.00. Im in the Florida panhandle.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited December 2013
    Be patient.. Dec is a great month to buy . There is dealer incentive money from the honda corp to sell more vehicles this month. make your best deal by months end.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• travel4momtravel4mom Member Posts: 10
    Hi,
    I am looking at buying the 2014 EX-L also. Did you get AWD with this deal? Can you send me the invoice to use at my local dealer? Thank you!
    ok, emailed him back saying I didn't think that was the best price considering the new model has been out almost 6 months now, and that I would be going through Dallas, TX and Lafayette, LA after Christmas and was sure to find a great deal. He came down to 27,199.00 with OTD of 29,320 pro package included. Should I still hold out till end of December?
    edited December 2013
    How much below invoice price are you right now. what are dealerships doc fee charges.

By holding out til the end of this month will help you get the lowest price from all dealerships. Dec is like the superbowl of car buying with all dealerships looking to meet last quarter sales numbers and last month incentives..for 2013

I think invoice for a 2013 CRV EXL W/NAVI is 27,200. So none really, but he keeps insisting I'm getting the pro package for free.the doc fee is 449.00. The $500 he took off he said was my military discount Even though that is suppose to come off anyway if I finance through Honda in my opinion. I'm just not sure about it. Don't want to miss a good deal, but I'm starting to doubt if this is it.
    You should be looking at pricing starting no lower than

1800 to 3000 below dealers invoice pus any rebates and incentives that are due to you. Anything less than 1800 below invoice walk away its a bad deal.

Remember in 3 weeks your 2013 model is considered a 1 yr old model and has depreciated 3000 dollars already.. if your vehicle is stolen or totaled in that 1 year you are losing out. As soon as you take that new car off his lot you lost 10%.

If i'm buying a 2013 CrV i want at least 2000 below plus any incentives. Added accessories or not..

Hope this helps.. get more dealerships involved and wait til the end of this month for better pricing.

• ssethsseth Member Posts: 1
    can you please sen me your receipt from dealer (@ msexpt@gmail.com). I am looking to buy CRV in Atlanta area. Thanks
    I can forward the email with the quote in a little bit, but this quote was for a 2013 FWD EXL W/NAVI. I didn't purchase.
    edited December 2013
    sseth

You need to remember a dealer may be trying to push a vehicle off his lot cheaper one month from the next. Pricing could change. Certain models dealers may sell cheaper do to there supply and demand.

You do not need a old quote or sales ticket to get that same price.

Speak directly with the internet manager of that dealership and let him know you will buy your model for xxx price today. Its a yes or no answer then you move on to the next dealership. Do mention that dealership has quoted that price to someone else or sold a vehicle at that price . Dec is a great time to buy a vehicle. Pricing will be better than the previous months and the next couple of months going into 2014.

When you tell a dealership i will buy right now for xxx price this gives you the buying leverage in the negotiations and puts each dealership on the spot to make the sale or decline it , or make a counter offer either way you get a answer or you move on to the next dealership.. this is how you buy a vehicle and weed out the bad dealerships full of bs and lies..

If you need some buying tips i will walk you thru the process.

Good luck............. post your deal when your done

• vikasgvikasg Member Posts: 3
    Wilde Honda milwaukee, WI is offering the following for CRV

2014 EX-L AWD : $26,500 including destination
    2014 EX-L AWD NAV: $27,900 including destination

I got OTD price with $179 Service Fee + tax/plates in addition to above price. I think it is unbeatable. You can get an automatic quote in your email with sale price from their website which you can use for negotiations with local dealers. I bought one with AWD and NAV for $29,800 OTD which I think is very competitive.
    Wilde Honda milwaukee, WI is offering the following for CRV

2014 EX-L AWD : $26,500 including destination
    2014 EX-L AWD NAV: $27,900 including destination

I got OTD price with $179 Service Fee + tax/plates in addition to above price. I think it is unbeatable. You can get an automatic quote in your email with sale price from their website which you can use for negotiations with local dealers. I bought one with AWD and NAV for $29,800 OTD which I think is very competitive.
  • thedealmanthedealman Member Posts: 10
    Hi derek, can you please clarify your OTD price? You're saying you got the 2014 CRV EX with -AWD- for 25k OTD price which means all taxes and other fees were included in that price? My dealer is telling me no way that kind of price is possible... Anyone?
  • s_dereks_derek Member Posts: 3
    Correct, my total price was 25k, minus the value of my trade in. I purchased the car on Black Friday, so that probably brought the price down. I communicated with various DC area dealers by email only and Sheehy agreed to my asking price. A couple of other dealers were willing to do 26k OTD and College Park Honda emailed me after I completed my purchase and said they would do 25,200.

Hope this helps.
    It does help thank you. But the trade in part is what is confusing me.
    It's my understanding that you paid exactly 25k OTD for the car. I have no car to trade in I just want to purchase it. It's possible to get a AWD EX for 25k and not a penny more? My plan is to do 5k down and 20k Honda financing if that is possible. I don't think "Black Friday" had much to do with it. If the price is possible the price is possible.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    What is a service fee?

Just part of the true price of the vehicle.

Of course one good aspect is you most likely do not pay sales tax on the fee. Therefore, have the dealer write the deal as $179 for the sales price of the vehicle and $26,000 for the dealer fee. Save a lot on taxes.
  • msundaram73msundaram73 Member Posts: 8
    I am getting a quote for 25,196 for a 2014 CRV EX-L 2014. Checking if it includes any incentives, which I suspect it does. Is this a good price?
  • msundaram73msundaram73 Member Posts: 8
    Truecar prices are totally BS prices and I believe so are the NaDA prrices, including invoice prices. They are so inflated, I guess the fact that it's a dealers association may have to do something with it.
    Nada pricing, Galves pricing all work favorable numbers for the dealers. Most dealers here in New York/ New jersey use Galves pricing. On trade in's Galves is usually 2k less than kellys blue book pricing, edmunds etc. Nada pricing is almost as bad.

• bbeans7bbeans7 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Hi,

This is my first time buying a car ever and I have read this thread extensively. I have found a used 2013 CR-V EX-L AWD w/NAV I would like to purchase. The internet price is $28,792, and I couldn't find any info on invoice price for the EX-L AWD w/NAV, I saw on the thread it is about $27264 for EX-L FWD w/NAV. Seeing it is December, my plan is to go in the last few days of the month and take advantage of the 0.9% financing and $500 flex cash as I have no trade in. What should my target price be then? I saw on the thread you aim between $1000-$2000 usually $1500 below invoice and that the destination charge is only for new cars, not new cars. Thanks
    bbeans7
    I could help you with pricing need more info...............

Is this CRV a used one with miles on it already. If so how many miles are on it.???
    Or is it a New end of the year 2013 left over. What area are you in.

Is this a big dealership or smaller one. Do you know how many remaining 2013 CRV's are on this dealerships lot.?

• bbeans7bbeans7 Member Posts: 2
    Used one with miles already, 1386 miles
    Chicagoland - O'Hare Honda
    This is the only 2013 CR-V left used, one 2013 CR-V new leftover for $31, 125
    Seems like a smaller dealership
    edited December 2013
    Ok You have 2 options

buy that used CRV awd exl with nav or
    Find another new 2013.

Most people this month will find they could buy a new 2013 end of the year CRV for 1800 below invoice to as low as 2500 off invoice price plus any rebates and incentives that apply.

Financially any new car thats bought and leaves a dealerships lot loses 10% right from the start. This CrV is now considered a used vehicle and in 2 weeks will be considered a 1 year old model on Jan,1 2014.

Whats a fair price for the dealer to sell/ whats a good buying price for you.

When negotiating a price for this car you must keep on mentioning to this dealer that this is a used SUV not new. No Destination charges can be applied to this buying deal the Suv is Used.

A fair price for you and the dealership would be 2500 below invoice price.
    A good price for you is 3000 to 3500 off invoice.

Invoice price on a new 2013 EXL/awd/nav= $28,295
    This price does not include the 830 dest/ charge.

If you want my expert advice this is how i would play this one out.

Call the internet manager on the phone next week

Offer the dealer 3500 off the invoice price plus any incentives that apply to you . tell this dealer you will buy that CRV that moment if he agree's .
    If they counter your offer which they will consider buying but be firm and stay close to that 3k mark. this is a used vehicle.

My other scenario would be wait til jan 2, 2014 now pricing and your leverage is in your favor. Your buying a 1 yr old vehicle. But you do risk losing out if dealer sells this model.

Dont be fooled a person who buys this used CRV is looking to make a similar deal like you............ dont get suckered.. Buying at the end of Dec is a great time for pricing.

Remember if this dealer has flex cash it is not to be applied to your buying number or as i say Target price until after you agreeded on a price to buy.
    EX: if you agree on 3200 below for this vehicle flex cash is applied onto this number making it 3700 below invoice..

I'm here if you need more help.

Post your deal when done good luck

Brian, how much below invoice should I expect to pay for a 2014 EX AWD? I'm seeing people on here saying they got the car for $25,000 and less OTD, but my 8 local dealers won't budge off $26,600 OTD. Basically the breakdown is 24k for the car, 800 destination, 1,700 tax, 300 doc, 300 dmv - 500 flex.

Thanks!
    Brain,
    I bought a 2014 CRV EX-L AWD with Nav. I got it for $27900 (including destination) plus tax and $179 dealership fee. I got 0.9 percent for 36 months. This is from Wilde Honda dealer in Milwaukee- if you input your info on the website a quote is sent within minutes at your email which obviously you can use for negotiations with local dealers.

The MSRP is $31275 and invoice is 29400, so I got 1500 below
    Vikas
    edited December 2013
    yes............you negotiated a very good price on a 2014 CRV. Great job. Honda dealerships are receiving up to 3k incentive money per vehicle to sell more Accords before the end of the year. i'm not sure if they are receiving any for the CRV.

People in the Accord forum are getting 1000 to 1500 below invoice on the 2014's.

Supply and demand are big factors in pricing. 2013/2014 end of the year incentives and dealerships needing to clear there remaining stock are playing a big part in pricing.

• angelodangelod Member Posts: 8
    Hey guys. I'm looking to lease an EX-L AWD w Nav next week. What kind of price should I be looking at in NY being December and all?? Should/Could the price differ from another state? Like from Milwaukee above....
    Thanks!
    edited December 2013
    By contacting as many dealerships as far as your willing to travel will help you get the best price and determine your area markets pricing. The last poster got 1500 below invoice on a 2014 model.. That does not mean you may get that low of a price.

Every area is different with pricing.... Your target price to buy should be starting at 800 below invoice up to 1500. If you get 800 below on the CRV price dealer is taken back 300 for doc fee's. That means dealer is really selling you this Vehicle for 500 below invoice.

Hold out a couple more weeks on buying a 2014 model. Call each dealership back and tell every dealerships internet manager you speak with for xxx price you buy that moment. With end of the month incentives dealerships need you may very well fall into the 800 to 1500 below invoice price range.

At the end of this month you make your best/ lowest possible deal from your targeted dealerships. If you feel pricing is still to high carry your negotiations into jan, 2014. Gotta play the game thats all it is. Make dealerships chase you . Not the other way around.

edited December 2013
    angelod

Try these dealerships in New york at the end of this month.

New Rochelle
    Yonkers
    Friendly

New Rochelle is high volume they sell cars might be your best bet.

Doc fee's are only 75 dollars in NY

Auto-sport in N.j.... is another good dealership doc's are 299

Check out the Weymouth Honda site ...punch in your model and they will give you a lease price. use it as a guide when dealing with other local dealerships.. There lease numbers are pretty accurate.

Thanks Brian. Why do doc fees vary so much?
    Also, do you have any info on Bay Ridge Honda Hillside Honda and Plaza Honda?
    edited December 2013
    Doc fee's vary from state to state. all dealer profit its a bs charge.

I'm in S.I. Very familiar with all local dealerships

Plaza ............... Bad dealership play to many games and lie
    Hillside .............. Wont deal on the phone want you in the showroom.
    Paragon..............Play alot of games lie often
    S.I ............Will Match local dealerships but never set best prices..
    Bayridge.......... They are hit or miss from month to month.
    if you not to far from Bayridge make them match or beat Weymouth honda lease price quote.

Remember get the lowest price possible on the vehicle then have dealership work in the correct lease numbers.... residual, cap cost, money factor, etc.

Awesome. Thanks for the info.
    Yea, i'm not far from Bay Ridge.
    So then I should be looking at $27,500-$28,500 as a good price on the vehicle?
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    I am flying to Atlanta this weekend to assist my adult daughter in buying a loaded or nearly loaded CR-V with AWD. The vehicle doesn't have to have NAV, but it would be preferred. Must be AWD. A few questions:

1. What exactly do you get for the about $1500 NAV package? What's missing without it?
    2. What incentives are available on the 2014 CR-V? For a new college grad?
    3. It appears that the higher priced CR-Vs are showing $1500-$1700 below sticker as the Edmunds True Selling Price. What else might I be missing?
    4. Any other tips would be appreciated. We have a 2010 CRV-EX-L so are familiar with the vehicle although, yes, we know it was updated in 2012.
    edited December 2013
    Hey Brian, your help is much appreciated!

You mentioned in the first two paragraphs that the target is 800-1500 below invoice. So I need to be adding back in the doc fee and destination charge into the selling price of the card to find how good the actual offer is. That would make my best selling price so far 24,994. Is that right?

In the next paragraph you mentioned calling back each dealer's internet manager. Is emailing them also ok? Or I need to call the dealer and specifically ask for the internet manager?

When I do make my proposition to the internet manager it should sound something like: "I am willing to pay $24,000 for the car right this moment, but that must include your doc fee and destination charge". And if they say no I'll just respond "well please keep my offer in mind"... Like that?

You also mentioned end-of-month incentives. Every single dealer I have contacted deny they get end-of-month incentives to sell more cars. They claim Honda does not do these kinds of incentives. In fact, the usual line is that "flex cash will run out by the middle of the month so you need to buy now or the price is going UP!" believe it or not.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    Just curious, why is it you "need" AWD in Atlanta? Have you considered buying out of state & driving the CRV to your daughter? GA dealer doc fees are notoriously high. You will pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $500 - $700 extra just for th privelidge of buying in GA.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Save your money the Nav is not worth the extra money. For 200 bucks you could get a Garmin Nuvi that will be way better than the CRV Nav system.

AWD is not needed in Atlanta. Your front wheel drive CRV will get thru most snow storms and save you a couple of mpg. I have had front wheel drive SUV's here in New York and in all my years maybe 1 or 2 storms were bad but never got stuck.

edited December 2013
    dealman

Take your models invoice price and minus it from your buying price make sure dest//charge is not included in that offer. Thats how much below invoice your getting CRV for ...
    Now add the 830 dest/charge to it. We all have to pay dest/charge which is added onto the final bill after the agreed sale price of the vehicle along with the dealers doc fee charge. This is how you breakdown your deal. Now your taxes and dmv fee's will be calculated into that price.

Emails are fine to dealerships but at some point you need to speak directly to the internet manager to close the deal on price. Once you have done that then go to dealership to sign paperwork. Dont believe things dealers tell you about how they are not making money. Your main concern is hitting your target price or getting close to it for the sale that moment. Thats where your leverage lies. Telling each dealership meet my price i buy today. That puts each dealership on the spot for the sale that moment. or making that dealer give you his bottom line price..

Flex cash does come on a first come basis. dealers have been handed this incentive out for 4 months. Line up all your flex dealerships first and make your best deal. If a dealerships says he has no flex move onto the next dealership or make him match the other dealerships price w/ flex

edited December 2013
    I find it easy when i'm negotiating to say something like this to the Internet managers. Make sure dealers have flex cash before negotiating the deal.

Hi jim,

I'm looking to buy this make model for xxx price today plus flex cash for financing thru honda. If your dealership is willing to meet my price i will give you a credit card deposit and will pick up the vehicle as soon as you have it ready.

If Dealerships do not have a Vin number or vehicle on there lot make sure you tell the manager you will leave a RE-fund able credit card deposit until they produce a Vin number and vehicle for your agreed price. CYA

No need to step foot in any dealership and deal with all that nonsense.... let your emails and calls do the work and close the deal in the comfort of your own home.

Good luck..............Brian

AWD is a must as this car will probably be coming to the snowbelt, permanently, in about a year. And I still would like to know from someone who knows for sure: Is the $1200 NAV just a NAV or is it part of a package with other stuff?
    edited December 2013
    Just for the Nav

So in this dealer quote, how much "below invoice" am I paying?

2014 CRV EX AWD Invoice price: $25,520 (truecar.com)

23,500 car price
    830 destination
    1,703.10 State tax
    299 Doc fee
    296 MV fee (Plates and 4 year Reg)
    7.50 tire tax
    8.50 MV processing fee

= $26,644.10 OTD price.

I did not include the flex cash for simplicity sake, but I would just subtract $500 from the OTD price, correct?

Thank you so much again Brian.
    edited December 2013
    Here is your breakdown in price.

2014 ex awd invoice = $ 24,689
    Dest/ charge.....................830
    total..........................$ 25,519

Your previous post was correct . Dealer is selling you vehicle for $1189 below invoice price. Dealer is taken back 300 for doc fee's so your total is 889 below invoice price. Your 500 flex will come off after taxes and final bill is totaled.

Given you a $1389 dollar below invoice price on a 2014 vehicle. Its possible to get a few more dollars off your deal but overall if you make this deal tomm..... you have done well..

Post your deal with state and dealers name so others can get similar pricing after you wrap up your deal.

"Remember get the lowest price possible on the vehicle then have dealership work in the correct lease numbers...."

So do you tell the dealers that you don't know if you're looking to buy or lease, and you don't know if you're trading in or not in the beginning?
    Thanks Brian I'm understanding this now! You are awesome.

I see you put flex back into the total giving me $1389 below invoice... The previous buyer said he got $1500 below invoice PLUS the $500 incentive. That's how he got it for 25,000 OTD. That is way far from my current $26600+ you say is a good deal.

Regarding the phone call with the internet manager. If/when he agrees to my price. I just give him my credit card over the phone and trust that he will honor the price? Shouldn't I ask to see it in writing by fax or email first? How can I be sure he will refund the deposit if the deal is not the same when I get to the dealership?
    You could tell dealer if your buying or leasing. When you trade in a vehicle makes the deal alot harder. No matter what price dealer gives you on the new vehicle you still need to go show them your car. I never mention it til i go to dealership. telling each of the 3 best price dealers i decided to trade in my car.

Prepare to lose money on your trade especially if your getting a great deal on the new car. Most dealer use Galves or nada pricing. If you could get pricing close to kelly blue book you have done well. Its always best to sell your car privately.

What are the current, if any, incentives on CRV in the Atlanta area? What exactly is "flex cash" and how do I know if it's available? And my daughter is a May 2012 college grad...is there some additional "college grad" deal? And if she finances thru Honda, is there some deal that gives extra cash for financing? We prefer to pay cash but if we can finance and pay it off within a few months (but still keep the cash) we'll play that game. Also am I correct that all CR-Vs come with Bluetooth and backup camera?
    If you pursue no more money off your current deal with the addition of flex cash you have a good deal on the table. You are in that 500 to 1500 below invoice range plus incentives/ rebates. Not every area sells the same. some states you will see better pricing. By contacting 10/ 20 dealerships in your area is how you determine your area's market price.

Your email/ phone calls to dealerships. If dealer agree's on price and goes over all charges and you believe him/her you could go down to dealership to meet them. If dealership is not close i make them send me a faxed bill of sale were we both sign it. then i leave a credit card deposit. If dealership cant produce a vin number for my model having that bill of sale sign by him is very important.
    Credit card deposit with vin number of my model

RE- fundable credit card deposit with no Vin number written on deposit with dealership signing it.

edited December 2013
    Your daughter is entitled to honda's college grad money either 400 or 500.

In addition to that if she qualify's for financing thru the Honda corp. she will also get another 500 dollar rebate called flex cash.

Some dealerships have it to give some dont, You need to ask each dealership and make your best deal with a flex cash dealership Or you lose out on 500 off your bill of sale if your financing vehicle.

• bj77bj77 Member Posts: 13
    edited December 2013
    If anyone manages to get a 14 CRV EX AWD for 25k OTD (everything included) or less in DC area, please post your invoice details.

Thanks for your help!