Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• thedealmanthedealman Member Posts: 10
    OK. I've made my best offer to the dealerships. Now comes the waiting.

As far as financing goes. If I plan to finance 20k at 0.9% for 36 months through Honda Financing, I should expect to pay $563.20 for 36 months. I should not expect the dealership to tack on any 'extra' doc fee or financing fee for the 'paperwork' of doing the financing, etc?

I hope my journey is helping some other people reading these messages too Brian. Thanks again.
  • bj77bj77 Member Posts: 13
    Thats little confusing as it had the trade in..Not sure if that was factored in properly for the OTD price
    Let me know if you get anything this month..Thanks again!
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    Thank you all who answered my prior questions. I feel ready to go to Atlanta and work a deal. You guys got me up to speed! One more question: If we want to get a Honda warranty, what's the cheapest way to do that? With Toyota (I have 3 Toyota products), there are dealers who sell the warranties via the internet cheaper than the local dealers. Is this "game" similar for Honda?
    This person claimed to get it for $24,899!

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef11a94/13014#MSG13014

Which seems incredibly low compared to what I'm willing to pay today in my area (26k) sigh.
    Hi,

Congrats on your new CRV!

Can you send a copy of your invoice to balaji_jb@hotmail.com.

Thanks
    B
    Gotcha...Good luck with your search!

Will circle back if I get any good deals :)
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited December 2013
    The game is the same. Do your legwork online finding the lowest warranty deals than have your selling dealer match if he wants your business.

Below are a few dealers who sell cheaper than most dealerships.

Bernardi
    Saccucci
    Hyannishondacare.com

I have used Bernardi several times for my honda parts and they seem to have the best prices in the counrty.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• crv2gocrv2go Member Posts: 1
    s_derek : Would you be able to share your invoice details if I give you my email id. I am from Minnesotam thought of negotiating on the actual price of the vehicle using this invoice.
    edited December 2013
    OK, I contacted one of the dealers suggested and they are supposed to send me warranty info. But this might not happen as quick as I need. Maybe someone here can tell me a ballpark price. The new 2014 CRV will probably only be driven 5000-7000 miles per year for at least the first few years. So I don't need a 150,000 mile warranty. Just want something to cover big repairs in years, say 3-7. After 7 years we'll probably be ready for something new no matter what. Probably not more than 75,000 miles total in 7 years.

And thank you all for the help here. I REALLY appreciate it!
    7 yrs........... No deductable your looking 900 to 1300 dollars. Call bernardi honda

edited December 2013
    CRv2go

You have absolutely no leverage with price showing another dealer a price from out of state. Unless the 2 dealers are within striking distance that sales order holds no weight for your dealership.

Your dealership may tell you to go buy it from over there if you want that price.

There are much more creative ways to try and get that good price on the home front.

• hondax4hondax4 Member Posts: 24
    I have used this forum in the past for 2007 Pilot purchase and last a 2012 Accord SE. I am trading Pilot- rack is going out unexpectedly, but in market for 2014 CRV EX 2wd- I'm in Houston/Woodlands Tx.

I just sent queries to approximately 8 dealers- we have many more in the area-large market.

1st quote received was from Gillman in Houston.... all include destination- no quote should leave this out as everyone pays it.

CRV EX 2wd LX-- 20,444.51
    EX 22,368.99
    EXL-- 24,795.99

They are very aggressive on pricing as you can see. Thats why my Accord was purchased there.
    Primary reason for post is to let others know of deals to be had- I realize significant regional differences and maybe more availability here- certainly larger number of dealers... Availability of CRV is excellent and this is time to buy. Good Luck :)
  • hondax4hondax4 Member Posts: 24
    Please add destination to above quotes- specifically asked dealer to quote with same but didn't- just found in small print-darn dealers :(.. Still some pretty smoking deals
  • autoseeker007autoseeker007 Member Posts: 1
    Brian,

I been reading the thread with interest since I am in the market for a new CRV EXL. I find you input very informative and helpful. Thank you ! I am in Dallas, TX. It's my understanding that I should aim for $800 - $1500 below invoice for the new 2014 model. And if dealers have 2013 models left over, I should aim for $2000 below invoice. Am I correct for this pricing strategy? Thank you in advance for the help.
  • msundaram73msundaram73 Member Posts: 8
    edited December 2013
    Ditto that. Folks like Brian are extremely helpful, perhaps we all need to send him Christmas gifts since he likely saves all of us ton of our hard earned money.
    I am getting quotes for 2014 EX-l no NaV at 24,200-24,300, includes 500 of flex cash, plus destination of 830 will make it 25,100-25200 as sales price plus 499 proc fee, plus tax3-4%, plus 75 for tags/title....OTD at roughly 26,900. I think his a good price...open to hear other views...will be very happy thare more details one I close on it as I want juice it a bit more by asking for some throw ins.
    Hey guys thanks,

been buying new cars for over 40 years for family, friends, and friends of friends. I can honestly say i have purchased over 1000 new cars by phone and fax or going to dealerships with deal already wrapped up.. I speak from experience so i'm more than happy to help a new buyer or someone who dont buy many cars. Seen it all over the years.

I like to buy at months end last 2 days, last day to ensure i'm getting that dealerships best price and have his full attention.

Autoseeker............. 2013 model depending on your area there is no reason to buy a 2013 for 2000 below invoice price if you could get close to 1500 with flex cash for a 2014 model. Weight your options.

Probably best to find a dealership that has your 2013 model and see if you could get close to 3000 below invoice price then work the price on a 2014 mode. then decide........ 2013 and 2014 are same vehicle. Only problem is in 2 weeks on jan,1 2014 that 2013 is now a 1 year old model vehicle and has depreciated fully. Thats why i say you need to make the difference up price wise. Dealers know this.

If your a smart buyer and bring it to the dealers attention he may not treat you like the average person who he knows he could get over on. And will consider selling this vehicle to you for your price / Not his price..
    again the problem lies in some states if supply is down dealers may not want to sell cheap . Dealers know that 1 or 2 2013 models left on his lot he will easily sell or sucker a Un- educated buyer. Just dont let it be you.

• angelodangelod Member Posts: 8
    Ok, so I just received a quote from one of the dealerships that you recommended, Brian. (New Rochelle). $28,205 for a 2014 CRV EX-L w Nav. Seems like a start. I sent an email back asking for lease quotes and if there were any incentives and flex cash.
    Is invoice on this vehicle $29,125? That's what I saw from some of the earlier posts.
    I'll see what they come back with. Then I'll start talking trade in for my current car. Then I'll compare to Bay Ridge.
    Is the price target $27,900 incl destination the price target I should be looking for? I saw it on another post...
    Thanks!
    Invoice price plus dest/ charge below for a 2014

exl/w nav= 28,574 plus 830 dest/ charge= $ 29,404

• divinetruthdivinetruth Member Posts: 6
    Hi these are the prices I am getting for 2013 and 2014. I have decided to go with 2013.
    2013: Internet Price** $25,079.00
    Destination & Handling $830.00

2014: Internet Price** $25,965.00
    Destination & Handling $830.00

This price is with AHFC only. grad and military rebate are extra. I am in MD. Only for in stock vehicle. colors available are kona coffee, white, black and twilight blue and polished metal. I like the prices.
    edited December 2013
    Very good pricing. NY/NJ area will not sell that low.. Our area's market is no where near MD and N. VA pricing some of the best in the country especially the Accords, Civic's and Pilots

Toyota.... Camry and Corrolla are out selling Honda in my area due to heavy discounts.

• ostrich321ostrich321 Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

I am at Dallas, TX and looking for a new 2014 Honda CR-V LX FWD. I was quoted 22,196.00 OTD for this model. The dealer claimed that the price includes Destination and Handling and Dealer Added Equipment. Equipment consists of: 3 year paint and fabric warranty, Honda splash guards, Honda cargo tray, window tint, hand-painted pin stripe, door/edge molding and Honda wheel lock. They probably used financing discount and recent graduate discount, $500 each already. Does this price sound good? What other factors should I mention to bring the price down? Thank you very much!
    Tell dealer you do not want his added overpriced accessories in your 2014 model. Let then find you another one. unless you want all that stuff.

the 3yr paint warranty is a bs charge. You have a Clearcoat finish on your paint. Fabric warranty r they kidding.. dont be fooled. The other features are nice but only if you want them.

Go to cheap honda parts you could see how cheap mudguards, door edge, wheel locks etc are for the CRV model..... Paper pin stripe you could buy a roll for 7 dollars. window tint 100 to 150.

Is a Honda extended warranty transfreeabke?
    yes

• moonlight88moonlight88 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am in Houston, TX and looking for a new 2014 Honda CR-V LX FWD as well. The best quote I have received so far is 22,827 OTD without any add-ons. The dealer is claiming that this is his final rock bottom OTD price. Here is the breakdown:

Selling price: 21,190.99 (including destination charge)
    Taxes: 1,324.44
    Doc Fee: 125
    Vehicle Inventory Tax: 41.87
    License/Inspection/Title: 145

Can you share the breakdown of the quote you got and dealer's name? Thanks a lot.
  • angelodangelod Member Posts: 8
    So then a good price or my target price should be $1,500 below $29,404? ($27,904)

The lease price New Rochelle quoted me was $359/mo. I'm going to call them this afternoon and see what numbers they're running. I guess I should try to get them to go down to close to $27.9k and then see what the lease comes out to....
  • edmattedmatt Member Posts: 1
    Can you please identify the dealer?

I haven't found prices that low in the DC/MD/VA area.

I assume that these prices require the AHFC financing deals that expire on 01/06/2014 (0.9% for 24 or 36 months). However, there is no early payment penalty if you prefer not to finance...

I'm curious to know whether a lower 2014 model price is likely before the 01/06/2014 financing deals expire, or at the very end of January.
  • njk2000njk2000 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    An article in Wall Street Journal announced additional year end incentives of $3000 per vehicle if purchased by the end of the 2013 year under certain sales goals. Has anyone received the benefit of the incentives?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303722104579239983004270504.html
    So I got a lower OTD price today from a different dealer, asking for $22057. It also comes with dealer added equipment and two free oil changes. Selling price is $20,949 while the other one was $21,049. Both of them added TTL on top of this and minus 500. Hope this helps.
    Thanks Brian. That was very helpful. Although I thought everything was standard (or included as it is). They told me the MSRP is 23775, which is exactly the same as Honda original price+destination. Is OTD price usually the bait to get you to the dealership? Would they increase the price again once I get there? Thank you.
    Well I got a email agreement from an internet sales manager on my price. But then I asked if I could go down to the dealership and sign the papers and he said "oh I'm leaving work for the day". I asked him to put it in writing and now he's not responding to my emails. Plus he never called me even though I gave him my number. Sounds like a no go on this deal...

I was wondering how all the dealerships are going to sell for less at the end of the month once the "flex cash" runs out, but now that I'm hearing about this $3000 incentive from Honda, I guess the $500 will be well offset. Would the dealer also get the $3000 if they lease a car?
  • moonlight88moonlight88 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot for the information. Is the $500 reduction the financing incentive? Maybe I should consider driving to Dallas to make the purchase if it can save me $800.

Can you also share the names of the dealership that provided the quotes?
    Save your self time and effort.. there is no reason to ask any dealership for lease numbers unless that dealership has come close to your target price.

Best to call 15 or more dealerships telling each dealership you will be buying at the end of this month or sooner if your target price is meet.

Ny / Nj market price is alot higher than other area'a so keep that in mind. 1500 below might not be obtainable on a 2014. buying near the end of the month will give you the best chance to hit your target price.

Go to the CRV leasing forum and ask the Carman what the residual, money factor, and cap costs are on your lease model. also post miles and yrs desired. Once you have the correct leasing numbers for your model work them off your lowest price.

Angelod

Once the Car-man gives you the lease numbers you will be armed and ready to play hardball with these dealerships. Use the Info and tactic's i posted to get the best deal.

Target price..... 500 to 1500 below invoice for a 2014 CRv in NY/Nj plus any incentives/ rebates that apply to you..

• buyhonda7buyhonda7 Member Posts: 2
    Hi Brian, I am in NJ/NY area and looking for a new 2014 Honda CR-V LX FWD. The best quote I have received so far is 24,498.75 OTD without any add-ons.

Here is the breakdown:
    price $21495
    $830 Dest
    $1562.75 Tax
    $299 Doc
    $296 Dmv
    $7.50 Tire Tax
    $8.50 online reg
    $24498.75 Total

Is it a good deal? Should I go for it?
    Thanks for any advise.
    edited December 2013
    Keep on negotiating. At a price of 500 below invoice 21,553- 500 = 21,053 you would still be giving back 300 dollars in doc fe charges to that Nj dealership. Email more dealerships with a target price of 800 below invoice plus any incentives and rebates that apply to you.

tell each dealership you will buy that moment if they meet your price of

...........................invoice= 21,553
    minus.....................................800.....below invoice
    total sale price ...................20,753 plus dest charge of 830

even at this price your deal is actually 500 below cause dealers in Nj have doc fee's of 300 to 500 dollars.

Try to make a deal with the dealerships that have the 500 dollar flex cash if you finance thru the honda corp..

email these NJ dealerships with i buy right know for 800 below invoice.. Auto-sport, Hamiltion, DCh Paramus, garden state, paul miller,

after you make your offer just sit back and wait til the end of the month making your best deal at 800 or very close to it... Play the game let these dealerships compete for your business. a un educated buyer wont play out this month usually jumps on a bad offer from dealers. dealers prey on the weak and folks who do not know how to negotiate.

Jersey dealers are slick there entitled offer is at invoice or a little below. then they will counter with 200 belo. as the negotiation goes on and they think you know what your doing prices will be lowered.

This is what i want to hear from each honest dealership at months end..

Mr Brian... this is our lowest offer that we can sell the vehicle you want.
    Call several NY dealerships doc fee's are only 75 dollars.

Stay away from PLaza, Paragon Honda they lie like rugs. Terrible dealerships.

there are 12 honda dealerships on Long island. google them

• buyhonda7buyhonda7 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Brian, thank you so much for your detailed reply. I really appreciated.

I was looking around to search for the invoice price of $21,553, and got a feeling that the invoice price you gave is for 2014 CR-V LX 2WD. Until I went back to my post, I realized I have made a mistake - I wrote LX 2WD, but it should be LX AWD. Sorry about that, the pressure is really too much :)

Is $24,498.75 a good OTD price for a new 2014 CR-V LX AWD? Since it is 22,724-21,495=1229 below the invoice.

About Finance and pay cash after the OTD is set, which option can make the price even lower?

And can I pay cash by swiping multiple credit cards if I got no interest on the credit card balance?
  • gjmgjmptgjmgjmpt Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    I'm planning to buy 2014 CR-V EX AWD. so fat the best quote i got is 26,400 OTD. What would be best offer for this model. I have seen 25K OTD in this forum. Is it realistic price to get ? Or do I need to do hard bargain ?

Thanks
    edited December 2013
    buyhonda

Your numbers once again are wrong. OTD pricing vary's from state to state due to state taxes , dmv fee's, and doc fee charges.. How you gauge a good deal is buy knowing the Selling sale price with dest/charge included and what that dealers doc fee charges are ? Again taxes and tags vary from state to state and would only be of interest to someone in your buying state if you provide them with the correct tax and doc fee numbers etc.

LX awd invoice = 22,773

with dest/charge....830.........total 23,553.

You want to be in that 800 to 1500 below invoice range for a good Dec price.

Honda has a good finance rate at 2.9%

Check out Penn fed credit union 72 month at 1.9%

Finding a dealership that is offering flex cash rebate of 500 for financing thru honda is your best bet to knock another 500 off your bill of sale.

• gjmgjmptgjmgjmpt Member Posts: 2
    Hi Vikas,

I'm also looking for 2014 EX-L AWD in WI / IL area. Did you make the purchase? if so what is the final OTD price? Did they provide any accessories.
    Please let me know

OK, followup on buying a CR-V in the Atlanta area: Thank you to everyone here who gave me good info. We bought a new CR-V last week in Atlanta after dealing with a lot of dealer shenanigans. It appears that the Atl area dealers collude on a $700 junk fee and try to say that LoJack, Appearance Package and other stuff is "standard". They try to move the ball so that the fight is about the highly marked up junk and not about the real vehicle price. I finally got the deal by telling the (3rd dealer visited) that there were 7 dealers with acceptable cars in the Atl area. My offer was good for 5 minutes to buy his car at the Edmunds True Market price, take my trade for Edmunds trade in ("good" condition) and no at her costs besides tax. Grudgingly the sales manager did the deal. Oh and they tried to sell a $2400 warranty. After I showed them the post above (that I could get it from any Honda dealer), I bought a 7/80 Hondacare warranty for $1165. Finally they claimed my daughter needed to pay a higher interest rate on the 3 year Honda Finance loan. Until I showed them her 800+ credit score and asked the number for me to call at Honda Finance. She ended up with .9% and got $500 for financing and $500 flex cash for financing thru Honda...true money beyond what she would have gotten without the Honda loan.

So thank you all. It's a war zone out there. Information is power!

• gjmgjmpt1gjmgjmpt1 Member Posts: 11

Hi Brian,

so far the best quote I got for 2014 Honda CR-V EX AWD model is 24200(Including Doc fee). TTL tax extra. This includes $500 flex case incentive. The OTD price comes to 25,600. Is this a good deal so should I wait till month end for the better offer ? Please let me know.

edited December 2013

what is dealership doc fee charge that has been applied. was 500 dollar deducted off this deal already for flex. what city are you in?

edited December 2013

The city is Chicago. The doc fee is 164$(included in the $24200 price).

The price includes $500 flex cash off.

gjmg,

2014 ex awd model Invoice price w/ dest charge = 25,519 this puts you over 1300 below invoice with flex. Make sure the dealership has added the dest/ charge into this equation other wise its not a good deal.

If you negotiate then buy closer to the end of the month you most likley will get a better price.

Chicago area 's market is not as good as some of the other area's.

edited December 2013

Thanks Brian, The price includes destination charge. I have checked with more than 10 dealership. Non of them is coming below 24700 + TTL. Only this dealer is providing for 24200+TTL. Is the current price good ? How much more I would be able to negotiate.

Couple of hundred.. I would not go crazy your area the market is alot tighter. I would only suggest if one/two of the 10 dealers are closer to your house make a pitch to the 2 closest ones. tell dealerships that for 24 k including flex, dest/ charge and your doc fee you buy from them that moment for the sale. Yes or No. Tell other dealerships xxx honda will get your business as soon as you hang up the phone if they wont meet your price. This is how you play the game. You have nothing to lose except buy from the 24.2 k dealership.. Call each dealerships internet manager and speak only to him/ her for the sale that moment..If you decide to call back all ten dealerships you might hit your mark of 24k or lower.. Good luck.

• zc2007zc2007 Member Posts: 2

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I just sent you a personal message. I'd highly appreciate if you could get back to me at your earliest convenience.

@daryll44 said:
    OK, followup on buying a CR-V in the Atlanta area: Thank you to everyone here who gave me good info. We bought a new CR-V last week in Atlanta after dealing with a lot of dealer shenanigans. It appears that the Atl area dealers collude on a $700 junk fee and try to say that LoJack, Appearance Package and other stuff is "standard". They try to move the ball so that the fight is about the highly marked up junk and not about the real vehicle price. I finally got the deal by telling the (3rd dealer visited) that there were 7 dealers with acceptable cars in the Atl area. My offer was good for 5 minutes to buy his car at the Edmunds True Market price, take my trade for Edmunds trade in ("good" condition) and no at her costs besides tax. Grudgingly the sales manager did the deal. Oh and they tried to sell a $2400 warranty. After I showed them the post above (that I could get it from any Honda dealer), I bought a 7/80 Hondacare warranty for $1165. Finally they claimed my daughter needed to pay a higher interest rate on the 3 year Honda Finance loan. Until I showed them her 800+ credit score and asked the number for me to call at Honda Finance. She ended up with .9% and got $500 for financing and $500 flex cash for financing thru Honda...true money beyond what she would have gotten without the Honda loan.

So thank you all. It's a war zone out there. Information is power!