Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jmcmoorejmcmoore Member Posts: 11
    Thanks ONEOHTHREE, I thought your price (23300 base) from Planet Honda on the SE wasn't all that bad, though the doc fee was a bit high. I've just sent them an email from their website. Looks like they have a number of SE's in stock. Let's hope I have better luck than I did w/ DCH Academy...

When did you buy yours? Do you buy for a fleet or something?
    Thanks, Phil. I've just went sent a msg to David Michael Honda thru their Internet site.

(non)Progress update: Huntington Honda out on Long Island called me Thur night all excited, telling me "they can/will DEFINITELY meet or beat any other dealer's quote!!" Had me on the phone 15+ minutes, trying to get me out to their showroom on LABOR DAY weekend (like I really want to deal with THAT traffic), reviewing my other quote, escalating it to their sales mgr, etc. etc. After going on hold 3 times, they finally came back and said that my DCH Academy / Old Bridge quote "was too good to be true" and they couldn't meet it. I said "ok, fine -- I'm sorry to hear that" and she hung up. They never bothered to even give me a counteroffer. Wacky. I sent a follow-up email to Huntington's sales mgr letting him know I was still open to hearing a counteroffer but, failing that, to please remove from their near-DAILY email list. Do these dealer's realize how annoying this onslaught of email is??!!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    When shoppers e-mail us to death as they try to pit us against other dealers over a lousy few dollars! ;)

Why offer a counteroffer when the other price was, indeed, too good to be true?

Just last week I had a persistant shopper tell me another store would sell him a almost impossible to find EXL Accord for a certain price. I told him.." Great! I have one but I won't sell it for that" He then asked me what would I sell it for?

I suggested, nicely that if he could, indeed buy it for that price that he should run down there and buy it!

He showed up three hours later and paid me 300.00 more for the car I know the other store didn't even have!

I'm glad August is FINALLY over! :sick:
  • whoknowswhowhoknowswho Member Posts: 1
    Got a lot of help from this board. Yesterday afternoon we got our LX AWD for $20050(including $515 destination charge) plus tax and fees from Tempe Honda in AZ. We dealt with Tim Mindrup, who is pretty nice. Did not spent much time on neogotiating the price. This deal may not sound stunning as others, but I guess it's a fair deal for both sides. :)
  • heartburnheartburn Member Posts: 4
    I just bought an 05 LX front-wheel drive in Iowa for invoice ($18658) plus destination fee ($550) and document fee ($89). I also upgraded to a set of alloy wheels for $500 and a roof rack for $160. Has anyone done better? I'm never really confident in the invoice prices given by these sites.
    I should add that they didn't have any LX's on the lot but they had one on its way from the factory, which is what I purchased. If I understand things correctly, this means that they hadn't paid any interest on their loan yet, so the holdback was pure profit. This may explain why they didn't put up much of a fight.
    Once again...holdback ***helps*** pay for flooring and a bit of advertising. It's averaged out so that really didn't matter.
  • oneohthreeoneohthree Member Posts: 15
    I bought mine 8/31. I offered them the price and they accepted it.
  • ddaquariaddaquaria Member Posts: 2
    I first went to the dealership in mid August, mainly wanting to testdrive the CRV and get an idea of price (non sticker). I was originally looking for an LX, but when I returned last weekend they only had EX or SEs on the lot. I asked for a good price, since I was willing to change my mind, and he quoted $500 over invoice + destination fee ($515). I told him it was $500 to high, and walked. As far as extras, it had door guards and in pinch stripe.

Can I do better in the Austin area?
  • jinvajinva Member Posts: 41
    Excellent deal IMHO. We re-did ours ('05s in transit) for an LX instead of an EX. Our LX price was $20165 (+$550 destination, taxes, & $100 fee). Not nearly as good as yours, but, we think, very good for the DC area. The fact that we did not have to compromise on color helped seal the deal too.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    I believe there 2 types of salesfolks.

1) The kind who are great at getting every dollar they can out of folks
    2) The kind who 'sell you' on car by demonstraion, knowlege, experience etc etc.

I know I would buy cars mpre often if the pricing became fixed; ie the salesman 'sells' me on his make/model and them I am given a menu and simply order what I want knowing the old lady down the street or great negotiator up the block all pay the same price.

I think this is one reason why SATURN was so successful.

I hope such pricing is not far behind, I have to believe it would benefit most buyers and sellers.
    Why offer a counteroffer when the other price was, indeed, too good to be true?

I'll tell you why: because some consumers like me, might accept a slightly higher counteroffer (1) to buy from someone we like & trust vs. a salesperson we detest, has played games on previous sales, or just treated us with very little respect - e.g., Fair Honda practically rolling their eyes at me when I asked to test an Accord Hybrid along with a CRV; and then saying "well, alright, but just around the block" -- like they were doing ME a favor!!! (2) to avoid driving a longer distance to close the deal (3) if an accessory or two will be included in the sale price, sold at cost, or for less than a competitor (4) to obtain the color we love -- I'm sure there are many other reasons. Trust & reputation is a big seller for me.

Having given the original offer more thought, I'm thinking that DCH's offer was really based on me buying all the options for which I'd asked for a price (some parts only, some parts & install). When I let the salesperson know I was only interested in 2 options, given his prices, perhaps the deal no longer looked good to him; so HE walked. I wish he would have been up front and just stated that the numbers no longer worked (if that was the reason). I would have been willing to revisit. Instead, he just said "we have no CRVs left on the lot - goodbye". I know for a fact now that they DO have CRVs on their lot, unsold. Now THAT irks me.

As for the emails, you're right. I'm sure it is annoying to have buyers haggling over "a few dollars" via a zillion emails to you & a dozen other dealers -- fishing for the final price. I shall keep that in mind. As a seller, you can't easily unsubscribe from the buyer, I guess. ;-) But I am still trying to unsubscribe from Huntington Honda's daily onslaught!!!
  • mommananmommanan Member Posts: 11
    I am leaning towards going forward with our purchase despite the price of gas. The Subaru Outback and other wagons don't seem to get better mileage, and I like the CR-V. The only way to do better would be a sedan, but I am so tired of fitting things into a trunk and not comfortable with the idea of one of those roof racks. I don't need an SUV to go off-road - I just really like the height that the CR-V provides and the shape of the storage space. Anyone else on the fence?
    How can I tell whether it really was a loose gas cap that caused the Check Engine light to go on? Is there a way to get a printout of the history from the onboard diagnostics?
  • sky23213sky23213 Member Posts: 300
    Right on!
    I feel the same. My husband would prefer the Accord or Civic Hybrids - for the mileage, environment, & the "sedan ride". But I really hate the "trunk squeeze" issue that I have with my 2 dr Civic EX today.

Now, granted, we have an Odyssey too -- so I really don't NEED the CRV to lug around my 2 Saint Bernards or Costco groceries... ;-)

Given gas prices & the fact that the Civic still gets 33 mpg at 12 yrs old, my love for it's stick shift sportiness, and still it runs like a charm (knock wood)... I think I'll be keeping my Civic rather than trading it in...
  • jinvajinva Member Posts: 41
    Yup. There's annoying behavior going on on both sides. In our case, the guy we bought from gave us a good price over the internet. When we went to see him and got the total price, we took it without any discussion. I told my wife that we would have taken the deal had it been offered by another dealer on the previous night. It just made no sense to be the annoying buyer, when the seller was reasonable to begin with.
  • mafernamaferna Member Posts: 83
    Did you get the OEM Honda wheels?
    Well, they shouldn't ahve rolled their eyes and limited your test drives to a spin around the block! No excuse for being uprofessional or rude.

Still, a shopper that wants to drive two totally different kinds of cars is usually a non-serious shopper.

I'm glad "trust and reputation" is important to you. For a lot of other shoppers, it seems that PRICE is all that seems to matter.
    Ah...Saturn has never been all that successful. Dismal sellers both as new and later, used cars.
  • gearjammer62gearjammer62 Member Posts: 108
    Yes. I was all set to buy a new '05 EX this weekend, when my nephew called and told me he lost his job (outsourced to India, of course) He asked if I knew anyone who would want to buy his '04 Mini Cooper S since he needed to downsize (the payment, not the car), and I said sure - "me!'.

So, now I'm the proud owner of a hot little British Racing Green 6-speed supercharged Mini that'll be fun to drive and gets >30 MPG. I'm sure I'll get it out of my system by the time the re-designed next generation '07 CR-V comes out. And then I'll probably buy one.
  • wayneleewaynelee Member Posts: 2
    I finalized on $21,600 OTD from Hillside Honda; however, I am still waiting for this 4WD, LX, 2005 CRV from the next shipment. Hopefully it will arrive by the 3rd week of September, I know it probably can get it for around $21,000 tho.

The lesson I learn:
    1) Only buy popular models at year end (CRV is not and it is treated like a hot commodity)
    2) Only buy the vehicle when you SEE it in the lot

Cheers,

Wayne

P.S. Does your LX come with the arm rest? If so, which type? the armrest sitting between 2 seats shared by driver and passenger or one that is attached to the side of your seat which can roll up and down? thanks :)
  • ddaquariaddaquaria Member Posts: 2
    First of all, my purchase was being pushed more forward due to my 7 yr old Silverado having to go into the shop again (a lot pops up at 140K sometimes). And I give a thumbs up to First Texas Honda and two thumbs down to Champion Honda Round Rock

Let's start with the LX at Roundrock.
    I went by 4 honda dealers looking for any LX model. After successfully finding one outside of Austin, we went to the bidding table. I was willing to settle for an LX, but the EX had more extras that I was planning to get later for the LX. After a lot of haggling, they wanted $800 over invoice which put the vehicle at 20K (for the LX with a pinch stripe w/destination included) I was only willing to pay $300 over invoice, and the manager would not budge on the 20K. I told the sales person what I wanted to pay and the manager did approve this on an EX. With no LX in hand and the thought of the EX - I WALKED.

The next day I contacted them, and said I would take them up on the EX offer if they did 200 over invoice. They said yes, and I headed out there. Here are the fun parts. 1. I wanted to test drive it and instead of the model I was about to purchase they wanted me to drive one like it. No problem - I thought. 2. We get back and I'm ready to sign the papers, but I want to see the car first before we go any further. They are a little reluctant but their excuse is they were waiting for it to be cleaned. 3. They pull the CRV around and I inspect it. I notice all of the door handles have multiple scratches on them and the body under the handle. It looked like someone took a ring or brillo pad and just constantly scratched the body under the door handle. I asked what we can do about this. Can you lower the price or something? Salespersson goes to the manager and he states we can't do anything. They can give me some touch up paint but that is all. Remind you - these scratches are on every handle (including the rear). I was pretty upset with there reply and again WALKED.

Here is the good news, I went to First Texas Honda in Austin and they had a CRV for 300 over invoice and ready to go. I asked the manager about it, and he said it was marked down due to stock turn over every 30 days. I have never heard of this but I was not walking away from a good deal. I asked them for 22500 (with destination) and we were good to go. This was the same pricing I was getting at Champion on the scratched up model.

In the end, First Texas really came through for me and they did not do all the hardballing that everyone kept doing.
  • hondavethondavet Member Posts: 5
    Yeah, me too. My spouse, similar to some others mentioned, would prefer to buy the car with the MOST gas mileage, whatever car that comes in. I just retired my '93 Civic with 165K miles on it, and definitely feel very comfortable buying another Honda product. Re: the CR-V, I am trading off gas mileage (my commute is short) for the 4 wheel drive (we live in New England) and the higher driving position. When we are ready to replace the other car in the family, we'll probably go for a hybrid.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    e.g., Fair Honda practically rolling their eyes at me when I asked to test an Accord Hybrid along with a CRV; and then saying "well, alright, but just around the block" -- like they were doing ME a favor!!! (2) to avoid driving a longer distance to close the deal (3) if an accessory or two will be included in the sale price, sold at cost, or for less than a competitor (4) to obtain the color we love -- I'm sure there are many other reasons. Trust & reputation is a big seller for me.

I am not sure what happened to you at Fair Honda, but when I bought my car there, I was offered to drive whatever I wanted, without a salesman, while they were finishing up the paperwork for my car. Everytime I would go there for service, my salesman would ask me if I wanted to drive another vehicle that I have not driven. So, I can truly say that I have driven every Honda model. They are truly above other Honda dealers. Whenever I get my car serviced there, and I had the first model year new Honda Civic Si made in UK, so I have been there a few times for warranty work, I would get a free loaner. No questions asked. The service advisor would have the keys ready for me when I woudl drop off the Si with them.

Unfortunatley I moved from the area and have not been able to find a dealership with similar operating procedures as Fair Honda. This is why I recommend them to people in NY/CT/NJ area. Everyone who buys a car from them gets a free loaner when car is in for warranty work, plus they have a shuttle to the Danbury mall, Costco, or Stew Leonards. Whenever I am in town, I stop by and say hello to my salesman, service advisor and the parts guy. Fair Honda is actually sponsoring the give aways for the Fall Foliage tour in Lee, MA this year, organized by "the other site."
    Yes. I was all set to buy a new '05 EX this weekend, when my nephew called and told me he lost his job (outsourced to India, of course) He asked if I knew anyone who would want to buy his '04 Mini Cooper S since he needed to downsize (the payment, not the car), and I said sure - "me!'.

So, now I'm the proud owner of a hot little British Racing Green 6-speed supercharged Mini that'll be fun to drive and gets >30 MPG. I'm sure I'll get it out of my system by the time the re-designed next generation '07 CR-V comes out. And then I'll probably buy one.

We test drove the Cooper S the first day it came out back in May of 2002. It is a neat little car. But for $26K, I shopped elsewhere and ended up with a 2002 Civic Si for $14,500. Same 160 hp, same handling, bigger hatch, and no leather. Did I mention I HATE leather?

Si takes regular gas, Cooper S, if I am not mistaken requires Premium.
    Hopefully you got a great deal on it.
    Given gas prices & the fact that the Civic still gets 33 mpg at 12 yrs old, my love for it's stick shift sportiness, and still it runs like a charm (knock wood)... I think I'll be keeping my Civic rather than trading it in...

The 2005 Ex with stick is pretty sporty. I think it is about 1.5-2.0 seconds quicker to 60 than auto. It is much faster than 1996 Civic EX. :-)
    I wasn't attempting to turn this CR-V forum into a MINI vs. CR-V (or Civic) comparison board. I was simply replying to "Would you still buy a CR-V given the current gas prices?"

And if I hadn't had the MINI practically handed to me, my answer was "yes".

The MINI is not my daily driver - it's a big boy toy. I might use 2 tanks of gas a month- so as for the premuin fuel,I figure the extra octane will cost me about $5 a tank, or whopping $10 a month!

Still will be looking at the CR-V when I'm done tossing the MINI around.
    Yes, the dealer had removed them from a new SE for a customer that wanted different wheels.
    Not my cup of tea but they are a loyal bunch...ala Honda owners. Also realize for the longest time they only had a couple of models. Take a poll and I bet most folks would rather see the fixed price up front on any vehicle and know it is the same for everyone.
    Not my cup of tea but they are a loyal bunch...ala Honda owners. Also realize for the longest time they only had a couple of models. Take a poll and I bet most folks would rather see the fixed price up front on any vehicle and know it is the same for everyone.

They still gave in to Employee pricing. Which meant that they sold the car for less than MSRP. Also, Saturn does double your downpayment as a promotional thing. Let's say you trade or put down $2000 down, they will match it, and finance $4000 less than MSRP, even though you only put down $2000.
    I have to give it to you: you're one loyal gal/guy! :)

I think I bought my first Honda (my first car!) - a CRX - from Fair Honda WAAAAY back in 1987. God, I LOVED that car! Unfortunately, I drove it like a madwoman and totaled it a few years later. :cry: I will say that the salesman went above & beyond on this sale: they taught me how to drive a stick shift DURING my first test drive and I was hooked. Now that's gumption & amazing salesmanship!

When I was shopping around for a Civic EX in 92, I went back to Fair Honda first - but they weren't willing to negotiate - not a cent under sticker; so I bought elsewhere. In 2000, when I was shopping for an Odyssey, they weren't willing to move off their "sorry, we're selling for $3000 over sticker and that's that" sales pitch. Didn't seem to matter that I'd bought there before & could have become a repeat customer. Didn't matter to Watertown either, where I bought my Civic. To be fair, I got the same response from all dealers in my immediate area: $3000 over sticker, no exceptions. I ended up buying the Odyssey from Westbrook Honda (CT) for invoice - which irks me ("Little Miss Never-Pays-Sticker-Price") TO THIS DAY). There was some last minute shenanigans at Westbrook that I didn't like so much, which is why I didn't even bother asking them for a quote on a CRV this year.

Back to the CRV: Brewster Honda was very accommodating on my CRV test drives. Their Internet Mgr is really very, very nice. However, their quote was MUCH higher than any other dealers'... and I'm just not interested in running around or emailing everyone with quotes trying to drive down the price. I'm just looking for the best first quote.
  • barbecuesauce9barbecuesauce9 Member Posts: 67
    Dear Mr.waynelee
    Do you know hillside honda have any SE in the lot?
    I was told they do but you just said they don't have LX.
    How do you like them?
    let me know. :confuse:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    If you tighten the cap with three clicks, allow some miles to roll by.Does it turn off?If it turns offin a reasonable amount of time (forty miles, say), then the cap is your problem. If it remains on, go to your dealer. In my Honda book (Odyssey), it states that less than 3 clicks will cause the check engine light to turn on. Hope I helped!
  • bshorbshor Member Posts: 8
    I'm finalizing a sale at Crystal Lake Honda in IL for a 05 CRV EX, 137 miles, for $21.4k base, $23.5k OTD (Chicago tax), mudflaps and wheellocks included.

Is this a good deal? And how reputable is this dealer?
  • bshorbshor Member Posts: 8
    Oh and by the way (my own Jobs impression :) )

Honda is showing off the new 2006 CR-V on its website:

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=CR%2DV

New MSRP prices:

$20,395 2WD LX
    $21,595 4WD LX
    $22,850 4WD EX
    $25,450 4WD Special Edition

But doesn't look different at all otherwise from the 05's, except some color changes. Can anyone else confirm?
  • oaf301254oaf301254 Member Posts: 1
    Before you buy a hybrid and they are so beautiful and nice; please read about
    EMF's ( electrical magnet forces ) ; what happens with the rechargable batteries
    if there is ever an accident with the electical current going thru those batteries.

I was really surprised what I read about these wonderfully fuel efficient cars and SUVS.

Yes, I would really like a current CR-V; but wish the gas mileage would was a lot better
    for the prices we have to pay now.
    Late
  • dekoraidekorai Member Posts: 56
    A word of advice - watch out for the F&I guy when you sign the papers at Hillside Honda. I bought my LX AWD from them in May 05 through the Internet dept. The Internet guy was courteous and quick - the F&I guy first made me wait 2 hours coz he was 'dealing' with an elderly lady on a lease (I presume she was taken for a ride) and then tried to jerk me around with accessories. Imagine adding $500 to the price for window tint - was he smoking or what?!
    I have the '06 CR-V brochure. There are virtually no changes from '05. In fact, most of the pictures in the '06 brochure are the same ones Honda used in the '05 brochure!

HP is now rated at 156 for '06, down from 160, but we all know nothing changed except how they measure it - the performance will be identical. Colors are the same - they may have changed a couple of the names.

Bottom line, if you're concerned about resale in a couple of years and don't like taking a full year's depreciation next month, buy an '06. If you don't care about depreciation and were waiting for any improvements for '06 - go ahead an get an '05 and save a couple hundred bucks. If you want a completely redesigned CR-V , it supposedly is coming out next year, which explains why Honda basically left the '06 untouched..
    I am looking to purchase my first Honda. In my past new car purchases, buy the time I hit the financing guy the price of the car was already locked in. My Fin guy experience was simply to say NO, NO, NO and NO until I got to the part where I wanted to finance, then give an amount and again say No, No, No to all the options (insurance, add-ins like service contracts etc). With Honda, can they actually jack up the price already agreed when you meet this dude?
  • tamarastertamaraster Member Posts: 107
    They can change the price, yes. When I bought my CR-V a couple of months ago, the sales guy gave me a price which he said was the final price that nothing would be added to other than sales tax. When the finance guy printed out the paperwork (the giant form with all the duplicate copies), the price wasn't right - an additional $200 or so had been added for window etching.

I argued against this ("it's on all of our cars...probably [the salesman] forgot to mention it") and it was removed. But always check that the price on your paperwork is the same one that you agreed to!
    Yes, the information about the 3 clicks does help for the future - thanks! We are not buying that EX though. First the car wasn't ready and then late in the day the Check Engine light went on. We got our check back and left. Morale of the story: avoid picking up a car on the last day of the month, and go in the morning so if there are problems you have time to deal with them before the mechanics go home.

I just got a quote of $22568 (including destination) for an EX plus $1000 for accessories already on the car (side steps and the roof rack) plus a doc prep fee of $200. The salesman took $100 off the car price when I questioned the doc prep fee. This dealer has been looking around for my color and found it at another dealer so they would need to do a swap. Do you think I can do better on the accessories despite the swap?

Also we are considering the day/night rear view mirror as an option - last dealer quoted me about $500 or so. I've never had one - how important is this option in an SUV (I hate the headlights in the mirror when I drive our 93 Accord). My other possible accessory is the wood trim kit to help improve the look of the console, also about $500. But I feel like my $1,000 for accessories is going to the running boards and cross bars that someone else put on and I'm not too motivated about laying out another grand.
    Any opinions on how worthwhile the door edge guards and the moonroof visor are?
    I'm confused - why does Edmunds say that the MSRP for the 2005 4WD EX is $23,550 while Honda says the MSRP for the 2006 4WD EX is less - only $22,850? Did they lower the price??
    I think you can do better / negotiate further, particulary on the pre-installed accessories.

For comparison purposes: David Michael Honda in Freehold NJ gave me a quote yesterday, by mistake, on an EX: 21799 base + 550 destination + 138.50 doc fee.

HandA accessory cost for running boards & roof rack (for an SE, including shipping) = 393 & 224, respectively. The roof rack installation is simple, you could do it yourself. My autobody guy said he could install running boards & fog lights for me for 300 -- so maybe assume 150 or less for running board install? That's 767 parts & install -- although more work for you and your mechanic.
  • jwinsomejwinsome Member Posts: 1
    Just got a quote from a dealer in the Boston area for an '06 EX auto for $22,675 inc. doc fees. Guy said that car would be delivered last week in Sept. / frst week Oct. This seem reasonable?
    The Edmund's price you are quoting is an automatic. The Honda.com base price you are quoting is for the manual. That's the difference.
  • dekoraidekorai Member Posts: 56
    The 06 AWD LX gets a 6 CD changer. Everything else seems the same compared to the 05.
  • jimb9jimb9 Member Posts: 5
    Just bought my NEW 2005 EX CR-V with 5 mile on odo..4 days ago, from Fuller Honda in Chula Vista CA.. I got a good deal I guess :) I got it at invoice price which is 22,267 plus tax and license of course, then I got FREE roof RACK front mud guard and a wheel lock.
    Also we are considering the day/night rear view mirror as an option - last dealer quoted me about $500 or so. I've never had one - how important is this option in an SUV (I hate the headlights in the mirror when I drive our 93 Accord).

Any mirror had a day/night switch, you just have to manualy switch it. The auto dimming mirror is OK, but not worth $500. You can get a generic one on eaby for under $100. I bought mine for $30, it was a used one off Bravada. I had to buy a $10 bracket from Mito corp, the manufacturer, to mount it in the Civic. It is a simple 2 wire installation. The CR-V already has a temperature gauge in the gauge cluster, no reason to buy an auto diming mirror with temp. Compas is useless in those things.

SUV's are higher and the only headlight glare you will get is from car with misaligned headlights or SUV's that have headlights higher than your mirror, which leaves it to Hummer H1, and some older Semi's. Newer Semi's comly with ne regulations and have headlights mounted about the same heght as most SUV's.