Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• wrjoycewrjoyce Member Posts: 51
    Come on anyone that has used this site for more then a day knows that OTD is useless for the very reason that it prevents a comparison for people from different states. Of course it is important to the individual user, but this is a forum to provide the most uptodate info. My taxes in nyc are going to be way more then someone in another state. Do not include taxes title or fees that are state imposed. So if you want to use this site and be helpful to your fellow car purchaser you have to forget about OTD,
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Now Now.. . OTD is meaningful for the person buying the car not to get confused with "dealer getting divorced", "kid needs braces" fees, doc fees etc... and compare quotes.

For our purposes it would be useful for posters to declare their sales tax as it can vary from a flat $300 (North Carolina?) to 9% ($2000+! ouch)

--jjf

Come on anyone that has used this site for more then a day knows that OTD is useless for the very reason that it prevents a comparison for people from different states. Of course it is important to the individual user, but this is a forum to provide the most uptodate info. My taxes in nyc are going to be way more then someone in another state. Do not include taxes title or fees that are state imposed. So if you want to use this site and be helpful to your fellow car purchaser you have to forget about OTD,
  • ongjoyongjoy Member Posts: 7
    The title of this forum is "Honda CR-V: Prices Paid & Buying Experience".

If the user gives the "negotiated price"-TTL and the OTD price and their location, this gives the most uptodate info.

To me, mixing up a trade-in only confuses the issue of the price paid.
    You need to read the resources I suggest. The fc package is $35.00 and Sutton's book is probably at your library. If you wish to save time just start with the fc package. The honda dealer locator will list all the dealers,websites and phone#'s within a 200-400 mi radius of your zip code.

Is that too low to ask a dealer??

You must be careful because if you name too low a figure the store releases the guard dogs and you are Shanghai'd to Iraq as the subject of distasteful Al-quaida videos in Anbar province. The penalty can be severe.

Seriously, The minute you name a figure you lose. Just "Is that the best you can do? ... I've got a quote lower than that from another dealer.." Repeat that about 5 times with the top 5 of the 13 responses you get from about 20-30 dealers EOM. This is obviously done by phone relaxing at your desk. They've got your cell. This results in something hopefully at, or below your (secret) target. You see, you really don't know their true cost due to the various incentive programs (mostly unadvertised) offered to the stores. If you offer a price and they accept it outright, you've paid too much.

A decent rough rule of thumb is a price that has you eating about 15-20% 1st year in depreciation (wholesale) at least for a comfortable deal from the buyers standpoint. This is for 95% of consumer autos, possiblly after they have been out a month or so.

That said, with the depreciation from list being about 6k, 2k off (400 under invoice?) is a decent (secret) target. $4000 ($320/mo) is enough to eat for driving a CRV for 1st year) Especially when many folks seem to have difficulty tradin em in for "book"

The 2006's were going for about 2500 -3k off. The 07 seems like a sexier machine, the hatch folds up, not to the side (a pain)... But you lose the folding picnic table... I don't know if I could deal with that.

If any want some advice, pass on the 2wd model. It is 1/2 the machine for a mere $1200 savings and possible 7% better mileage.

In actual practice its only a $800-600 savings as there are 3x as many 4wd models and thus a better supply situation for the buyer and thus lower bids off list.

rotsa ruck
    --jjf

Thanks jfritsch. You seem to be doing lot of research. What i am mainly considering is to pay 300 to 400 above invoice, not more than that. What do you think about the decision. Is that too low to ask a dealer?? Also how to find all the dealers within 400 miles??
  • yahemdyahemd Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 07 LX AWD for $20,700 + Tax (5.5%) + Fees ($89) + Title ($60) = $21,987.

Dealer tried to add on Splash Guard / Wheel Lock for another $200 but I refused and they took those off.

Good deal ?
  • hydrohollandhydroholland Member Posts: 5
    Better than mine. Can you share which dealer you bought from in WI? Thanks.
  • hondaguy67hondaguy67 Member Posts: 66
    There is a reason you cannot buy a car without paying the Destination Fee.

the reason is because it is a real fee paid by the dealer. it is an acttual cost to the dealer on every single car in his inventory.

now if you want to make the destination fee part of the bargaining process that is fine but remember to add it to the MSRP when beginning to negotiate
  • kwhkwh Member Posts: 68
    slink, I'm in NC and that sounds good. Who was the dealer & salesman and I'll call them. I'm looking for a 2wd Lx. You might get $50.00 bucks out of the referral.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    You may include the dealership name, city and state in your post. Please do not post names of salespeople, telephone numbers, email addresses, or other contact information.

No referrals, either...

Thanks!

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• theslinktheslink Member Posts: 5
    Honda Cars of Hickory in Hickory, NC.
  • yahemdyahemd Member Posts: 3
    Zimbrick Honda Madison
  • pavantpavant Member Posts: 6
    After a big discussion with the dealer and having an advantage that I referred my friend to that dealer and earned him business the dealer gave me this quote.

2007 Honda CRV EX-L 4WD

MSRP-$26,595

Sale Price-$24980

Tax-$1623

Title-$50

License-$341

Total-$26,994

What do you think of this price???
  • cliffbcliffb Member Posts: 46
    What is a "Processing Fee"?
  • pavantpavant Member Posts: 6
    Its just one more kind of fee that some of the dealers take from you for doing all the paper work......
  • jeffersonjefferson Member Posts: 3
    I'm also looking in MN, and this price is interesting. Can you post the name of the dealer you're buying from?
  • mariewoemariewoe Member Posts: 6
    I have been trying to get a decent price for a CR-V with 4WD & Navigation with no luck locally (St.Louis area), so I decided to give CarsDirect a shot. They have given me the best price I have heard so far - if I remember correctly, it was $27,650, which is about $950 less than MSRP+destination. I figure there must be a catch, but before I call them back I would like to know if anyone here has had any experience with them and if you can give me some advice as far as dealing with them.
    Thanks!
  • snoopy21snoopy21 Member Posts: 114
    mariewoe, i used carsdirect when i helped my mother-in-law buy her camry this last september. my MIL is quite the fussbudget so i just wanted an easy deal that was fair, not necessarily the lowest price (carsdirect had given me the lowest quote i had received as well). anyway, after i submitted a request on their website, i got a call back from an agent within 30 minutes. she checked stock with their participating dealerships but none had the desired color & trim level & options my MIL wanted in stock but did see that one was being built a few weeks out and was to be shipped to a toyota dealership about 35 minutes from where we lived so we had her reserve it. when the time came, the carsdirect liason at the dealership called us, we went down there and it was cake: everything was just as agreed and expected. in fact, the best part of all was that the finance manager (the closer) skipped right past the usual part where they try to strong-arm the buyer into getting the extended warranty, lo-jack, glass etching, and other stuff. we drove off in her new car in less than an hour so i was very impressed.

now, here comes the big however part! right before we drove off, i got to talking to the dealerships's carsdirect liason, who was also the fleet manager. he told me when i'm ready to buy another toyota to just contact him directly and he can do even better for me. this only makes sense as they don't have to pay carsdirects' commission.

good luck!
  • mariewoemariewoe Member Posts: 6
    snoopy21, Thanks for your help! I am going to give carsdirect a call back and get all the details. It sounds like a much more pleasant way to buy a car than I am used to.

I find it interesting that your Toyota dealership's liason said he could have gotten you an even better price if you had contacted him directly. I would gladly deal with local Honda dealers directly, but since I have already tried that for a couple of months and they haven't been willing to move more than a few $100 from MSRP, I think I may as well just go ahead with carsdirect if they can find my car within a reasonable distance from St. Louis.
  • carfreak8carfreak8 Member Posts: 58
    In early November, I did the Edmunds price quote. Now this was then, so I did not probably get the same deal I could have gotten now. I got $28,000 for a CR-V EX-L 4WD w/Navigation, I ordered it. The internet manager took off the destination fee.

Just a little information, the navigation is the same in the Civic as in the CR-V. The Civic got ninth place in a recent consumer satisfaction study from JD Power and Associates. That is out of ~75-115 other navigation models. The highest ranked was the Lincoln Zephyr.
    mariewoe, i'd still recommend emailing your local honda dealers. after i got my quotes (only 1 of 9 even came close to carsdirect price), the dealers kept emailing asking if there was any more they could do for me. i wrote them back and told them thanks but that their bids were not competitive. i immediately got a phone call back from one local dealer and he said that they know the bids they send out via email are on the high side and they prefer to work with customers on the phone (i'm sure that's to prevent people from shopping their written quotes around which i can totally understand). he asked what the best price i had gotten so far was and i told him my carsdirect price. he said, "oh, i can beat that any day of the week...let's find the exact car you want and i guarantee i can do better for you".
  • howardt55howardt55 Member Posts: 4
    I do believe I obtained a good price. I was very dissatisfied with the delivery. Extremely slow getting things ready and when it was delivered, promised items were missing (e.g. door guards). Might be willing to pay more and use Fairfax Honda next time!
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    How could the Internet Manager take of the destination fee? We pay it and pass it along to the buyers.

It never gets waived to us!
    I am not sure. He probably meant that was the amount he was taking off MSRP. So instead of $28,595, it would be $28,000. That $595 was the discount. That is just how he referred to it.
  • thestormerthestormer Member Posts: 29
    I had a 2005 EX. Yes, I had one. It was totaled 10 days ago when I hit a Ford F250 after the driver (with a suspended license) decided to run a red light. (His truck was totaled as well.)
    My driver side airbags went off and, although I am sore, I am very fortunate to have sustained a lesser injury than my CR-V.
    I want to buy another CR-V but I am not impressed with the 2007 model (just my opinion).
    I have been calling around for a 2006 CR-V and was lucky enough to locate one not too far away.
    The dealer has an SE in the color I want. I'm curious to know what you all think is a fair price.
    I've done some research online, in addition to asking the many dealers I spoke to regarding their selling and sold prices on other SEs.
    I'm not going to mention the prices I was quoted because I don't want to "taint the jury pool" so to speak.
    Please feel free to advise in whatever way you see fit, including dealing with the salesperson. I haven't bought a new car in 10 years, and I'm dreading the process. (I didn't buy the 2005 CR-V that I had.)
    BTW...it will be a cash deal. Does this help me in any way as far as negotiating a lower price?
    What is the least I can expect to pay and what is the most I should pay, excluding sales tax, destination charge, etc.? I just want to know what you think is fair for the "base" price.
    Thanks!!!
  • sizzerhappysizzerhappy Member Posts: 7
    I didn't know the cr-v came in SE, I thought it just came in LX, EX and EX-L.
    thestormer,

You're not going to reveal the prices you were quoted but you want everyone else to inform you of their prices?

Just do a search of this forum and you will find lots of info due to everyone else willing to share (which is the intent of this forum).
    Pavan,

jfrisch is giving you sound advice. I wish I had read his postings (and "Don't Get Taken Everytime") before I went out carshopping. I probably got taken again, but I don't believe it was as bad as some others.

After it's all done with, it's just time to sit back and enjoy (and pay) for your car.
    I didn't know the cr-v came in SE, I thought it just came in LX, EX and EX-L.

Honda replaced the trim level SE with EX-L for 2007. SE meant Special Edition. The predecessor had LX, EX, & SE. Now it is as you stated.
    honda usually puts out an SE version in the last year before the next generation vehicle comes out

to thestormer, a few of my local honda dealers have over a dozen of 2006s in stock that nobody seems to want (i don't know if they've sold any 06's in the past six weeks!)...i'd bet you could get a screamin' deal on one.
    I didn't ask what other people paid. All I asked was what people thought was fair in the form of a low/high range.
    I didn't list the prices I was quoted because, to reiterate, I don't want to put ideas in anyone's head. I'm not trying to hide anything, I'm just trying to get unbiased opinions.
    After I complete my purchase, I'll list what I paid. I'm hoping to purchase the vehicle tomorrow or Friday, so I was just asking for some input before then. For instance, as asked in my original post, do I have any negotiating power since it's a cash deal? I'll have the payoff from my totaled CR-V and some extra cash I'm putting up.
    I'll take any advice that anyone is willing to share regarding the entire purchasing process.
    I am extremely excited about getting a new car, but the whole car buying experience can be extremely stressful. I'm just trying to limit the stress.
    Thanks.
    Thanks for the response.

What region are you in? I've had an extremely difficult time trying to locate the vehicle I want. I've checked about 25 dealerships in the mid-Atlantic region, from North Jersey to DC. I'm finding that most dealers don't have any 2006 CR-Vs and if they do, they seem to only have SEs.

Thanks!
    i'm in northern california.

believe it or not, dealerships actually don't like cash deals. the reason? if you finance it, they can usually get you to pay more as well as spend more on options, accessories, extended warranties and such. also, if they can get you to finance through their own finance company, then they get a cut of that too. so, no, you get nothing more for a cash deal.
    Thanks for the info on cash deals.

I guess the whole supply/demand factor is coming into play. Enough people around here don't like the new version of the CR-V. Since there is such a low supply, I guess they don't have to cut too much off the price. It seems as though in your region, the supply is much greater, and someone can get a better deal.

Essentially, I was quoted a price below invoice. I've researched the internet and found several different invoice prices for the 2006 SE, so I'm not sure which one applies to the particular vehicle I am looking at. The price I was quoted is below all of the invoice prices I have found online. I'm guessing that I'm getting a good deal, but I also wonder if I could be getting a better deal because the 2007s have been out for a while and the dealers should be trying to clear out the 2006 models as soon as they can.

Do you have any suggestions on buying extended warranties? Is it better to buy one at the time of purchase or after the fact? I bought one with my 2005 CR-V, 7 years/75,000 miles, for $850. Was that a deal or a rip-off?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Check out my message 3815 in this forum for useful info on buying a car. Also see 3855 and 3832.

Its best to suggest you may finance at the dealership if terms are good enough (in your case they probably won't be unless 0-2%) as the dealer may give a lower quote hoping to make it up on the financing.

Getting 20-30 email or fax quotes the last week of the month usually does the trick. Do this on an 07 before you pursue an 06 (unless you really prefer the styling and gotta have it)

Sometimes a few rare leftovers aren't such a great deal as they can be worked for more profit by the dealer to gullible buyers.

Honda is one of the few nameplates that seems to let dealers compete on the factory extended warranty on the internet. So you might as well take advantage of it or get the dealer to match. Myhondawarranty.com seems to have among the best terms on the Hondacare warranty of all lengths.

Fyi a survey of the 06 deals on the CRV from august sept produced an average of about 2500-3000 off. 2000-2500 on the SE.

You're probably better finding an amenable dealer and going for $2000-2500 off an 07.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I bought one with my 2005 CR-V, 7 years/75,000 miles, for $850."

Since you no longer have your 2005, you can turn in the warranty and receive the balance of what you paid, probably around $600. The place that sold you your warranty has the paperwork.
  • al63017al63017 Member Posts: 149
    I think the ideas I have seen on this forum that mentioned getting 20 to 30 quotes via email and using cars direct or costco to get a price are great ideas. I got 500.00 off EX 2wd cloth from MSRP but there will always be a better deal that somebody got so all that has to be happy is you. I also know that nobody ever says they got a bad deal myself included as at the time if you are happy that is all that matters. I got 1800.00 more for my trade than the other dealer I was using to compare with and that cinched it for me. They both were stuck on 500.00 off. I always askf or two prices one with trade and one without. You never will know what you are getting for your trade if you do not. They came in at excellent according to Kelly Blue book on my trade and it probably was excellent. I always think Kelly is low but that is my opinon but for the hassle of advertising and getting maybe 500.00 more over 3 weeks I said no way. I watched private party prices and checked ebay for selling prices of same trade in I had to get a reference of market value. I also have access to dealer acution web site that shows dealer auction prices paid and in my state the trade in reduces your tax by 6.5% of its value so you have to add that on to the value of the car otherwise you are paying tax on full value of car if you sell privately.

I love the vehicle get 29 or 30 mpg on pure interstate trips and just under 25 around mix of city and highway 40/60 percent being highway. Don't do any bumper to bumper driving.
  • malyamalya Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

Initial quote I got was a cheating from one of the dealer from Eatontown , NJ. When I went there they offered me 25K but I came out.

I took my CR-V from Oldbridge Yesterday for OTD 25180. Just got wheel locks free thats all...For silver I had to wait 2 weeks for the inbound one. Finance from my credit union.

Totally I feel happy and relaxed on the deal..
  • lzclzc Member Posts: 483
    At this time, with the 2007s out and popular, the price for a car a year old that's been replaced with a new model should be well under listed invoice price. I'd approach the dealer as undecided between the 2006 and 2007-- interested in the '06 if a good deal can be had. The dealer must want to be rid of the '06s.

The only Honda rebate I see on the '06 is a 3.6% financing rate on a lease deal.
    The price I was offered is below invoice, and includes the destination charge.
    I have to pay the sales tax which is obviously non-negotiable.
    In addition, I'm getting splash guards for $85. I paid $82 for the splash guards on my 2005 CR-V.
    The only other expense is $103 for the document fee and transfer of my current registration. I think that is a good price considering that I would have to pay $75 just for the registration at an auto tags shop.

I'm supposed to pick up the car either tomorrow or Monday, depending on when the splash guards arrive. I'll post my OTD, with details, after that.
  • rac1970rac1970 Member Posts: 4
    I am being offered $23,500 including destination but not the $64 doc. fee for a 07 CRV-EX AWD.
    What do you all think?
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    What is the least I can expect to pay and what is the most I should pay, excluding sales tax, destination charge, etc.?

I think anything under $22,500 for SE is reasonable, considering that before the 2007's came out they were selling for $23,000.

Get prorated refund for the extended warranty from the totaled 05. And I would not bother getting extended warranty this time.

1) You are buying a Honda, which means you believe in what they stand for.
    2) It already comes with 5 year/60,000 miles powertrain warranty.
    3) If something fails outside of warranty, a phone call to corporate Honda will most likely result in some sort of financial assitance.
    4) Extended waranties are usually too restrictive as far as what they cover. And they usually cover what is most likely NOT going to fail within the covered period.
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Like others have said $23k - $23.5k is a good price I paid $23k and change in July for a SE that included roof rack, winter mats and splash guards.

Good Luck

MNF
  • choncho06choncho06 Member Posts: 7
    I hope I'm not sounding repetitive by posting in both forums about my lease:

Trim: 2007 Honda CRV EX 2WD
    MSRP: $23,445
    Down: $1,000
    Monthly payments: $377.00 (including taxes)

I got a quote from another dealer, who is an acquaintance (sp?) and he said $1k down, $350 including taxes would be a good deal.

Please, give it to me straight, I can take it!!
  • amc2006amc2006 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I got this out the door price for a 2007 CR-V EX:

Price: $22,000
    Sales tax: $1,320
    Battery, tire & govt (?) fees: $12.50
    Dealership fees: $798

Dealer agreed to bring the price down (close to invoice incl. $595 destination) but won't do anything regarding their fees. Is this an acceptable price? I am located in North-Central Florida. I will probably trade my current car (2004 Mazda6), though I haven't told the dealer anything about this. Do you think he might lower/increase the price?

Thanks and good luck!
  • choncho06choncho06 Member Posts: 7
    Here is more info: 36 month lease, 12k miles
  • rocuriumrocurium Member Posts: 12
    i got a price of $24542 on this model, not including tax, tag, and dealer processing fee. took $ 200 off, down to $ 24542, price on the road $ 26462. is it a good price? it's my first time shopping for a car.
  • ralph9ralph9 Member Posts: 88
    The invoice price on this vehicle including destination charge is $24637. Compare your offered price which includes destination, and all dealer fees (which are profit for the dealer), exclude the TT&L costs which muddy up the water for comparison purposes. These TT&L costs are important to you to determine the amount to be borrowed and how the total cost fits into your budget.
    Did you get several bids which include all the fees from the internet sales department of several dealers in your area? If you have, then go with the best deal, enjoy your vehicle and don't look back. Take care. Ralph
    I got it yesterday.

I paid $24,694.65 OTD. Here's the breakdown:

$23,200.00 base, with wheel locks (already on the vehicle)
    $ 1,392.00 tax (6%)
    $ 102.65 fees & transfer of registration

I researched over 20 dealerships and this was the best deal. It also happened to be the color I wanted. I drove over an hour to get to the dealership, but it was worth the savings over the next best deal (+$425 more).

Pics are on my home page.

Happy shopping and happy driving!
    That looks like a good deal.... I bought my current CR-V, after totaling my first one, as well.. :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator