Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• rainbow11rainbow11 Member Posts: 10
    Shame on that dealer. If you live near Westchester County, New York, go to Honda dealer in Bedford Hills. They let me take a 45 minute test drive on CR-V EX-L over the roads where I would actually drive the vehicle. Handled well and has more than adequate engine power.
  • delta737hdelta737h Member Posts: 626
    Greetings newcarconfused!

Let me try to address your concerns. The residual is always a percentage of the MSRP, although, sometimes the MSRP is adjusted as a result of dealer add-ons and so, to be precise, the residual is calculated as follows...

Residual Value = Residual Factor x Adjusted MSRP

No add-ons or other adjustments means that MSRP = Adjusted MSRP. The residual factor is non-negotiable and is set by the fund provider; not the dealer. Your money factor is not correct. The protocol for money factors is of the form 0.00XXX. In the future, you may want to check your residual/money factors by visiting www.leasecompare.com and requesting the "buy" rate or, what is sometimes referred to as the "base" rate. This rate is reserved for those with outstanding credit. Also, there are no reserve levels associated with this rate which means the dealer doesn't profit. Here are the residual/buy rates from leasecompare...

American Honda Captive (AHFC) Lease Programs – May 2008

Listed below are the current manufacturer (captive) lease programs.

2008 Honda CR-V LX 4WD – 5/14/08
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00335 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00235 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 52% of MSRP – .00220 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 43% of MSRP – .00230 Base Rate

2008 Honda CR-V EX 4WD – 5/14/08
    24 Month – Residual 70% of MSRP – .00335 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 61% of MSRP – .00235 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 52% of MSRP – .00220 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 43% of MSRP – .00230 Base Rate

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L 4WD – 5/14/08
    24 Month – Residual 66% of MSRP – .00335 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 60% of MSRP – .00235 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 51% of MSRP – .00220 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 40% of MSRP – .00230 Base Rate

2008 Honda CR-V EX-L w/Navigation 4WD – 5/14/08
    24 Month – Residual 65% of MSRP – .00335 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 58% of MSRP – .00235 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 49% of MSRP – .00220 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 39% of MSRP – .00230 Base Rate

Residuals posted are for 15K miles/year. Add 2% to Residual for 12k mi/yr and 3% for 10k mi/yr on all terms

The RV and MF is not a function of selling price and, therefore, remains fixed regardless of the sell price.

The best way to negotiate with a car dealer is DON'T!!! You have to be in control of the deal. Do not allow them to dictate the terms on ANYTHING... YOU do that! Be sure you get the base rate. Ask three different dealers and, I'll guarantee that 90% of the time, you'll get three different answers. So how can you be sure? Check the forums as suggested above. If the residual factors/MF aren't published, ask.

You determine sell price! Check the forums to see what others are paying. Also, check edmunds for pricing information including invoice pricing. Pricing is predicated on supply and demand, so you'll need to do some research.

If you're interested, I can send you a one-page lease proposal guaranteed to save time, money, and eliminate aggravation. Basically, it requires that you have completed all your research. Payments are calculated as well as all pertinent lease contract numbers. I always insist that the contract match my lease proposal numbers and I always hold the dealer accountable; otherwise, the lease proposal is worthless.

You can contact me at diffeq@zoominternet.net

Good luck!

John
  • mplshondadlrmplshondadlr Member Posts: 409
    Several dealers filed an injunction to stop Honda from stopping them from selling VSC over the internet.

So for now, Honda has eased up on the requirement. Although, in the future they may make dealers physically inspect each vehicle before putting a VSC on it, which will by default eliminate internet purchases of VSC's.
  • colfaxwolfcolfaxwolf Member Posts: 11
    Does anyone know how to circumvent listing a phone # on the "Request a Quote" section on the Honda website? I do not want 10 dealerships calling my house. As has been mentioned on here before I would love to negotiate via email.
  • pinnumberrpinnumberr Member Posts: 13
    Just went through this myself. Short answer is I don't know if there is a way to circumvent this since number is required. I supposed you can put in a phony number or a number where you never pick up the line, but I just went through email shopping with the dealers and found it to be fairly pleasant.

I don't know how the honda website quote process is set up but I used the Edmunds.com site (going through TMV pricing until you get to page to request quotes). In the form you can select dealers and indicate a preference for being responded to by email only. I did get email replies that allowed me to reply to those dealers by email and you can write back to them emphasizing that you will be doing pricing by email (with offer to meet them once you get closer to decision). The Edmunds form does require a phone number and being that these are dealers, you will probably get a call or two, even though you asked for email correspondence only. I'm not sure you can get around that. A few of them will email you and call shortly afer to "verify that you got the email". You really can't fault them for this. They probably feel their chances increase by establishing personal contact with you and want to ensure that you've test driven the car or want to get you into the dealership. What I did was let most of the calls bounce to answering machine and just reply by email letting them know you can't talk on the phone (for whatever reason). They all will call on the first day or two after your request so you will only have to screen your calls for a short time. They key is establishing the email dialogue with the internet sales type person and sticking with the email. If you do pick up the phone and get one of them, politely get them off the phone and let them know you will be using email for pricing. Once they understand that, they seem pretty good about sticking with it. It actually seems that the dealers are accustomed to internet/email shopping now and several of them just right into the email pricing without any problem, although they will try to call to check in and say hello. It looks like all the dealers have assigned internet sales people and these reps seem to know that customers have the preference you have. At least this was my experience. I found it to be a great processs personally compared to going onsite to the dealerships. Good luck.
  • nhlfan79nhlfan79 Member Posts: 12
    Have things changed so much in three weeks that you'd be thrilled to pay $26,600 out the door? I paid $25,200 OTD for a 2WD EX-L at the end of April at Willett in Morrow, GA. That's $1,400 difference.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef11a94/7079
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    You paid for 2WD while he paid for AWD. That's the $1400 difference.
  • 4runshoper4runshoper Member Posts: 13
    Consider giving wrong phone number? :)
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "Does anyone know how to circumvent listing a phone # on the "Request a Quote" section on the Honda website? I do not want 10 dealerships calling my house. As has been mentioned on here before I would love to negotiate via email."

Not sure I understand. "Request a quote" means that you want a quote on an exact model. To get that you have to contract a dealer. Honda can't give you a quote - they don't sell to customers, they sell to dealers.

If you want to know the cost, can't you just build one on line?
    The "Request a quote" function comes up after you have entered your zip and are shown a list of dealerships. You pick what you want and then send the request to the dealerships of your choice. I was just saying I would rather have them email me quotes than start calling me everyday.
  • thebigfudgethebigfudge Member Posts: 6
    Yes, you got a good deal. Frankly I am not sure how the dealer made any money off that purchase and what kind of star alignment granted you that kind of deal.
    For me, my time is worth money, so I factor in the time it takes to negotiate and to physically pick up the car. I am shopping at dealers who are within a 10 minute drive of my home. Driving across the state would actually cost me money. I guess convenience is worth more to me than most car buyers. I have an offer I find quite fair from a local dealer, and while I like to imagine getting it for your 25,200, that isn't even in the ballpark of the offers I have gotten around here.
  • gotribegotribe Member Posts: 101
    Purchased this vehicle for $26835 which is $198 under dealer invoice and $2200 under MSRP. Price includes destination but not $250 doc fee, title and state of ohio tax. Think this is a pretty good deal.
  • newcarconfusednewcarconfused Member Posts: 3
    Wow! Thanks for all this information. I was thinking I was going to close the deal this weekend, but then decided to wait until the end of the month/Memorial day weekend and hope for the best deal. I already have a number in my head that I'm willing to pay, so we'll see how that goes. I am also considering the Rogue, so I'm ok going with that if the deal is better thru Nissan. And the MF, I did enter it wrong: it was =.002245 for 3 year lease, so it's still alittle off, but not bad.

Thanks again for the info

-B
  • newcarconfusednewcarconfused Member Posts: 3
    I went to Peter's in Nashua and their Nissan dealership let me take the Rogue for half the day (about 3-4 hours) and then I called the Honda dealership to get the CRV and they let me take it for the same amount of time. Great deal-I put all those miles on their cars and used their gas!! But it's a good marketing technique because if their price compares to closer dealerships, I'll drive there to buy it.
  • snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    thats a pretty good price. Here in Akron, the new Honda dealership by the mall is dealing. They had 14 in stock last week, having a tough time moving them due to the high price of gas here, $ 3.89/gal.

Edna
  • armydavearmydave Member Posts: 29
    It is good that you are putting the buying experience aside. We all learn from mistakes. I don't even go into the F & I office.
  • omaha_style1omaha_style1 Member Posts: 2
    This is going to sound stupid but I bought a 2008 ex-l awd with navi in december and like it, but volkswagon just came out with their Tiguan. Kinda want to see about upgrading. If I were to trade in or sell it out right, what should I look to get for it? it only has 1450 miles on it hardly used lol. Any dealers please answer, but really looking for any advice. Thanks guys!
  • smith1smith1 Member Posts: 283
    Call the dealerships you're interested in and get the email addresses of their internet sales managers. Email your quote requests directly to them.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Well, at least you bought a Honda and not something that depreciates horribly.

Still, you are going to pay for your frivolity.

And...a VOLKSWAGEN??
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    I love the new Tiguan.. but, even though you bought a Honda, you will get pounded if you try to trade it so soon..

Plus, a Tiguan with leather, AWD and NAV is going to be around $35K, so you are looking at a major jump in price.. Add in the $4K or more hit you'll take on trading the CR-V, and it looks pretty ugly..

Enjoy your new car, then maybe take a look in a couple of years...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tdiidmantdiidman Member Posts: 35
    I agree with kyfdx. You'll undoubtedly take a major 'hit' trading it in so soon. If you're hell bent on getting rid of it, would at least try and sell it privately, but unless you discount it heavily, a potential buyer would likely just prefer to get a brand new one. I debated long and hard about the CR-V versus the Tiguan, but utimately decided to go with the CR-V (bought it in March of this year). I bought it at invoice and got 10% off all dealer installed accessories. The Tiguan I would have wanted (and likely couldn't resist if I went with a Tiguan) was going to be a loaded up SEL to get the leather and other goodies. It was going to cost $8-9K more than the CR-V EX-L AWD with navi I bought, plus I knew the dealers were going to want to sell them at MSRP initially (and some might even try to get over MSRP- though I'd never pay that). Plus, it doesn't get as good fuel economy as the CR-V. Now if the TDI Tiguan had been available from the getco, I might have considered it, but since it wasn't, I just went with the CR-V. If a TDI becomes available, I might go for it (or a diesel CR-V, which I've also heard rumblings about).
    Funny, until now I have never even heard of one?

I keep hearing rumors of diesel Accords and CRV's but with diesel at a STAGGERING 4.79 a gallon in this area I can't understand for the life of me WHY anyone would want one. They cost a lot more to begin with and they don't get that much better mileage.

Plus the smell, availability problems etc...I mean WHY?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    The Tiguan comes with a 2.0 litre turbo gas engine... The same one that's in the GTI, GLI and the Passat.. The diesel doesn't go on sale until next year...

You really have to get out more.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Maybe so.

Seriously I've never heard of a Tiguan and I sure haven't seen one either.

Where do they ever come up with these names? Throw a bunch of scrabble tiled on a table and arrange them until something looks good?

Yet another entry in an already overcrowded market.
  • omaha_style1omaha_style1 Member Posts: 2
    yes, I dont really have strong intentions of trading in. Just curious. I dont have the money to get a Tiguan now, because yea i test drove one and i would "need" the SEL fully loaded. I will be content with my slow but reliable CR-V until at least 2010 lol
    Thanks guys!
    The words "reliable" and Volkswagen don't work well together.
  • snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    Gas just hit $ 4.12 / gallon in NE Ohio. Even Pilot's are $ 7,000 off sticker even before you start bargaining. I'm getting cold feet about even buying one now. Two weeks ago, we were lucky to get $ 1,100 off sticker on the CR-V.

Edna
  • raffpee1raffpee1 Member Posts: 9
    Amen to that! Volkswagen is like a Hyundai of German automobile.
  • obstacleobstacle Member Posts: 1
    nhlfan,

Thanks for sharing this info. I purchased a EX-L with Nav this evening from Willet and was able to get a similar deal by simply emailing them. They have people driving hours to purchase from them. While I was there they had someone coming in from Alabama and when I went back a few hours later to take delivery someone from SC was there. It was a very easy, no hassle experience for me.
  • newcrvowner1newcrvowner1 Member Posts: 1
    Tried the internet buying suggestions with 8 dealers. Initial quotes ranged from $26,250 to $24,900. Had two dealers say they would beat any quote....if I made an appointment. Emailed the lowest bidder and let them know that. He lowered the price [Dublin Honda]. Could have stiffed him, but he was the only dealer that did not call or repeatedly email me...I believe what goes around comes around.

Bought the car last night and will pick it up Saturday. No pressure except for the business manager who tried valiantly to sell me extended warranty and protection. Was not too pleased when I kept politely saying, "no thanks." Other than that...a very pleasant experience all around.
  • phisherphisher Member Posts: 175
    I think that would be a mercedes benz followed closely by VW. ;)
  • me3000me3000 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to say thanks to the board. Used the info here and from consumer reports to get it at 1200 off sticker. Great car and at a good price.
  • nflroyaltynflroyalty Member Posts: 10
    26,420 incl. dest. before tax, tag, title and admin(yacht) fee
  • trippy1976trippy1976 Member Posts: 1
    I finally went into a dealership today to sit down and talk best price. I'm in Florida.

$22,000 was the offer and includes destination. It seemed like a decent offer to me. I was asking for $21,000 as I'm under the impression that invoice on the EX is ~$21,400. But $22,000 with destination included puts the base price at around $21,400 - invoice.

This does not include the $500 Florida "Dealer Fee" which is the only non governmental fee left out of this to make up an OTD price. I have this temptation to ask for $500 more off the price off the car since that fee is (if we are being honest) just "extra profit" or at the least, me covering their cost of doing business. Who's being greedy in that situation - me by asking for the money off because I think it's absurd, or them for insisting on this fee?

Kind of want to close a deal soon so not necessarily interested in killing a deal over $500 but it's also the principle of it.
  • newmdnewmd Member Posts: 1
    We are about to buy an EXL w/ Nav, spoiler, fog lights, roof rack, and chrome running boards and were quoted $30.500. Sound like a good deal?
  • tsc2tsc2 Member Posts: 5
    looking to buy a CRV 4WD (base model). What price should be considered reasonable with the current $4/gallon gas price? Anyone with good experience with dealers in the Memphis, TN area?

Many thanks!
  • amty007amty007 Member Posts: 9
    On May 29 2008, bought a EX-L AWD, no navigation for $27, 297.00 :shades: out the door inclusive of destination, tax, title etc. in the NE Ohio region. Got the Glacier Blue color and had 0.7 miles on it when dealer showed us. Very nice, no pressure dealership. The dealer even threw in floor mats for free. Declined all the optional equipments & warranties as I wanted to shop around, but still have a weeks time to get back and purchase those, in case I decide to. Yesterday, as I drove it out the showroom it had just 4 miles on it as a part of pre delivery inspection (PDI).

Took me couple months to shop around on the internet..and I got my Crossover Recreational Vehicle :) for $397 below the edmunds invoice. I believe it's a great deal in all. But would like to hear from you guys as well. Now I'm a proud owner of a new HONDA :)
  • ccacpccacp Member Posts: 117
    Floor mats are included from the factory......
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    keep hearing rumors of diesel Accords and CRV's but with diesel at a STAGGERING 4.79 a gallon in this area I can't understand for the life of me WHY anyone would want one. They cost a lot more to begin with and they don't get that much better mileage.

Plus the smell, availability problems etc...I mean WHY?

A) Diesel fuel may seem like it costs more, but in reality it does not.
    Right now, diesel here is about 20% more than gasoline.

B) Diesel engines get 30% better fuel economy, and can run on straight up filtered used up frying oil with minor modifications.

C) The difference between a gallon of diesel fuel and the number of miles one gets out of one gallon gives you 10% advantage.

D) Having the ability to run on filtered grease gives you another advantage. Biodiesel are more widely available than E85, and don't strain the food supply.

Hope these reasons are enough for someone to consider a diesel vehicle.
  • flatsflats Member Posts: 44
    keep hearing rumors of diesel Accords and CRV's but with diesel at a STAGGERING 4.79 a gallon in this area I can't understand for the life of me WHY anyone would want one. They cost a lot more to begin with and they don't get that much better mileage.

Here is a nice short article about the diesel European-market 2007 Accord, aka Acura TSX. It returned 53 miles a gallon highway, 34 in the city (Manhattan) and 44 in combined driving. Oh, and that low end torque, yummy.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/motoring/2004433293_dieselhonda23.html?syn- dication=rss
  • crv4keepscrv4keeps Member Posts: 1
    Is 28,300 OTD a good price????
    I know that its about 1300$ over invoice if you include holdback....but is it fair?
    No accessories....
  • jillanjillan Member Posts: 8
    I think 28,300 is high. I'm in California, but it seems like the prices across the nation are pretty comparable.

I was quoted 24,888 + tax & title for a 4WD EX-L CRV.
    and 23,900 for a 2WD EX-L CRV.

We recently purchased a Civic from this same internet salesman, who was good to his word on the quote, so we have reason to trust the numbers.
  • rickchanrickchan Member Posts: 2
    2008 HONDA CR-V 2WD EX-L . Dealer installed accessories( with door edge guards, wheel locks, splash guards & cargo tray ) For Free

Lifetime Limited Warranty - Unlimited Miles, Unlimited Years - Free of charge Only at Goodxxx cover the engine, transmission & transaxle.

SELLING PRICE (+) $ 24701
    ACCESSORIES $ 0.00 (Free 400.00)
    PAINT & FABRIC PROTECTION $ 299.00
    DIFFERENCE (= ) $ 25000.00
    STATE SALES TAX(+) $ 1,437.50
    FULL SERVICE DEPUTY FEE(+) $ 5.00
    DEALER DOCUMENTARY FEE(+) $ 50.00

TRADE PAYOFF(+) $ -
    ROAD/BRIDGE FEE (+) $ 11.50
    VEHICLE INSP. FEE (+) $ 23.75
    LICENSE$ TITLE $ (+) $ 93.80
    VEHICLE INVENTORY TAX(+) $ 53.43
    CASH BALANCE ON VEHICLE(=) $ 26880.

Is this the good price or not?
  • searchingforassearchingforas Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Jillian.
    Can you share the dealership you got the deal at? I dont mind flying to cali and saving a couple of grands...I can always drive it back to Seattle....
    Maybe you can PM me....
    A) Diesel fuel may seem like it costs more, but in reality it does not.
    Right now, diesel here is about 20% more than gasoline.

????

It still doesn't seem to make sense to me. I mean, how many people are going to use frying pan grease?

Also, at least where I live, diesel stations are few and far between. Saw one at 4.99 a gallon the other day. Regular was 4.19 a gallon.

To each his own I suppose.
  • chrishhchrishh Member Posts: 17
    About your point C. New diesels exclude running bio diesel. You are not going to modify one of the newer CR style motors and still meet emissions... let alone keep your warranty.

Show me a new diesel car that permits it, I would be surprised. Old style diesels are much more forgiving with fuel quality but today's high pressure fuel systems are not.
    Hi,

I'd be happy to, but I don't know how to PM (duh...?),

Just want to make sure... are you requesting multiple quotes over the internet and working with the internet department at the dealership. Once you start working with a 'salesman' on the lot, it's difficult to get the best price.

Much Good Luck~
    Boch Honda in Norwood, Ma is advertising an EXL w/Nav for $21,988. I am thinking about hopping on a plane in NC to go get one and then just drive it back home.
    No kidding, that's incredible!!
    Before you buy your plane ticket, you better call them again and VERIFY that price!

Even if it were a 2 WD NAVI CRV, they would be losing almost 4000.00 on that deal!

I think a HUGE mistake has been made here by somebody!