Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    There are some accessories that make good sense and those are the one we install. All season mats in a wet or snowy area make a lot more sense than soggy carpeted floor mats that get muddy. Wheel locks are almost a necessity in high theft areas and a rear cargo mat keeps the rear carpet clean.

It is an SUV after all and people treat them as such.

Loading fog lights, running boards and roof racks is going overboard. Not everybody has a use for these items.
  • firsttimebuy4firsttimebuy4 Member Posts: 3
    Hi there - I know someone was kind enough to post the credit score cut offs for the super preferred credit tier that qualifies you for the 2.9% financing through Honda...but does anyone know if they've raised that minimum recently in 2009? The most up-to-date info I could find about it was from 2008. Back then, the minimum credit score to qualify was a 710. Has this changed?
  • hp2009hp2009 Member Posts: 65
    current 1.9% honda apr.....should be given to credit score of 720 and up........unless dealer want to go with bank of america or other bank other than honda .....dealer makes money by going out side from honda finincial so they always find reason for it...try to go with different dealor...or call honda finincial....and complain about dealer who is not giving 1.9% with credit score 720 and up.
  • Seeker1966Seeker1966 Member Posts: 7
    All season mats can be purchased, inexpensively, online (not much difficult about "installing" floormats). Wheel locks are about $30 online, and can be easily installed. Rear cargo mat can be purchased online, as well (if one is even needed).

Charging $300 or $400 for this group of items does nothing more than pad the dealers bottom line.

I wouldn't pay for any of it; If the dealer wouldn't budge ... Have a good day!

I won't even set foot into a dealership that installs pricier "extras" ... :blush:
    Yeah, there is this little thing called profit that every business needs in order to survive.

Assuming you are talking about the genuine Honda parts you may save a few bucks on line if you want to pay shipping and go through the trouble. For most people, the small savings aren't worth the trouble.

Some stores may charge 3-400.00 for these items. We don't.

If I get a customers who objects, I'll just pull those items out. No big deal.
  • bc_crvbc_crv Member Posts: 9
    Jubujoy,

Thats a great price. Who did you work with? I'd love to get the same deal. Did yours come with wheellocks and front mudflaps? Has anyone else seen a better price?
  • immanuelsimmanuels Member Posts: 3
    Thats a great price. Did you have any trade-ins?
  • fasttexfasttex Member Posts: 24
    Raw credit score is not only the determining factor. If you are a first-time buyer with no previous auto or mortgage credit it may not be possible to get "Super-Preferred" rates. Don't complain to Honda, complain to the banks that have made creidt so restricitive. :):)
    Without any credit history, would you expect any bank to give a person the best rates?
  • jubujoyjubujoy Member Posts: 4
    That was the price before trade-in. I traded in a 2001 Saab 9-5 wagon and they gave me $2,000 for it. Not a great price, but given the market for Saab's these days, especially an 8 year-old station wagon...that's about what I expected, actually. I also bought an extended warranty from Honda Village, after shopping around for warranties. I brought in an e-mail offer from Bernardi Honda -- $785 for 72 months/80,000 miles -- and Honda Village matched it. My salesman was Vartan; don't know his last name.
    No wheellocks/mudflaps, no navi. Just the standard EXL package. I worked with Vartan at Honda Village. See my reply to the other person who commented on my post.
    Well, my username is misleading....I was on the title (along with my father) and what not for my first vehicle, so it is reported on my credit report as being paid on time and in full. When I moved, the title was signed over to my name only. I also have a credit history of paying all credit card and student loan payments on time for 3+ years, so I'm hoping that should qualify me since my credit score is above 720.

This will be my first time buying a vehicle completely on my own (I'm 26), so I've been doing my research and was curious about where the cut offs might be for that 2.9% financing. Thanks for the info! :)
  • Seeker1966Seeker1966 Member Posts: 7
    Yeah, I understand the need to make profit.

That must explain why we, the car buyers, have to sit through briefings about rust-proofing, extended warranties, paint protection, Lo-Jack, Window etching, Nuclear Armageddon protection, and the like.

Sorry, but you guys have no shame, when it comes to raping a buyer out of every dollar you can get away with.

Between "Destination/Delivery", Holdback, and monies paid over "Invoice" the dealer still makes out quite well.
    Please don't lump uis in the same catagory.

We make nothing off destination charges. We pay these and pass them on just like any business does.

Just consider the tremendous overhead and costs of doing business.

I am glad you realize a business has to make a profit to stay in business.
  • duck_butterduck_butter Member Posts: 2
    Online quote from KY dealer below. Car is not in stock, they would have to bring it in.

$21,264 base incl. dest.
    $1202 tax (6%, but math doesn't work)
    $90 license,
    $299 doc,
    grand total $22,855

Seems a bit rich, especially for year end. Thoughts?
  • glitch1glitch1 Member Posts: 26
    Yes that is too much. You can get a 2010 LX 4WD for less than that nowadays. ($21.5K easily, including doc). You should try to get at least $1K less for the 2WD.
  • duck_butterduck_butter Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. I have a competing quote:

$20,550 base (including destination)
    $1201 tax (6%)
    $395 document / license

Out the door at $22,146 including tax. What have other buyers seen recently?
  • bc_crvbc_crv Member Posts: 9
    Jubujoy,

Did they know about the trade-in prior to offering you that price? Would they have honored that price without the trade-in? I have not been able to get under $26110 (including destination charge). I'm wondering if they were willing to offer a lower price knowing that they were going to make some money back on your trade-in. If they were willing to offer that price out the door without trade-in, then that is a great price. This is the best offer I have found so far:

2010 EX-L AWD
    $26110 (including the destination charge)
    $160 Govt Fees
    $150 Doc Fees
    $2270 Sales Tax
    $28690 Out the door

What does everyone think? Good deal?
  • ktzbzomgktzbzomg Member Posts: 1
    i was at the dealer and he told me that the front splash guards that are already installed on most of their cr-v's cost $150. and when i got home and check online it said it's only $64. How could i get him to lower the price?
    Thank You, isellhondas. isellhondas, too. First time ever in any kind of sales job. Noone complains about paying "Sticker Price" for a Big Mac, Levis, IPod, gallon of milk, six pack of Bud, Hershey bar, Playboy magazine, shot of Patron, new Nikes, etc. but who even considers paying sticker for a car. Try gettin an IPhone at 10% below invoice with 2 pairs of headhpones, a leather case and all-weather floormats for free. And then I want your 200 year extended warranty for free. Again, do not complain when your local Honda dealer shuts its doors and you have to drive 200 miles for service, after all it's just the Free Market at work. :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    When we bought our CR-V the dealer had a 750 on the paperwork which we qualified for, however there was other junk such as vin etching, etc written in that you decline. Since I saw this I started to challenge everything in front of the FI manager, rates, Honda Care warranty, etc.

I Googled 'Tier 1 Honda credit' or 'AHFC tier 1' using my phone and found numerous sites and posting boards that stated 710 or better qualifies for Honda's top tier.
  • mvs1mvs1 Member Posts: 462
    The retail price on the Honda front mud flaps is $64. You can find this part as a genuine Honda accessory for about $34 + $4 S&H. There are exactly three self tapping screws per flap that can be reused and are already installed on the vehicle, It's a piece of cake.
  • ibuylotsofcarsibuylotsofcars Member Posts: 10
    fastex, No one complains about sticker price of ipods because everyone pays about the same price - If car dealers sell cars at the same price to everyone nobody will complain. As far as Honda dealers going out of business, I have not seen even one dealer go out of business in the last 20 years or so that I have bought Hondas in Houston, On the contrary they have all grown bigger and opened more dealerships all over town so I have to drive even less for service !

And please, stop talking about losing money selling cars at "Invoice" or less. The published "Invoices" are not the real invoices, the real invoice is much lower and is confidential information that will never be published.

Bottom line, price gouging and unethical business practices at the retail level are out of control in the automotive industry. The only solution is to let Walmart get into the automotive dealership business and then everybody will pay the same low price for their cars!! Price Rollback on Hondas at Walmart ! LOL
    Just bought a 2010 Honda CRV EXL 2WD with pinstripes, window tint, cargo tray, mudflaps & wheel locks all included in the price.

Dealership : Gillman Honda, Houston

Price paid 25472 + TTL + $189 doc fee
  • rockstarbaburockstarbabu Member Posts: 1
    nice car and nice information in this site thanks for share it
    "The published invoices are not the real invoices"

It's a shame you would come up with this because some people will believe it.
    isellhondas, can you name any other business that discloses it's invoice and costs openly to the public and will manage to stay in business selling products at near invoice ?

The real shame is that that car dealers assume the buying public is stupid enough to believe the published invoice.
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The only solution is to let Walmart get into the automotive dealership business and then everybody will pay the same low price for their cars!! Price Rollback on Hondas at Walmart !

I highly doubt Walmart would be in business of selling Hondas. The profit margins are too low for Walmart. And if they do get into the business of selling cars, it will most likely be some Chinese car that will break down while waiting in line to check out.

Most of the stuff sold at Walmart is of low quality and of questionable materials, made by some 12 year old in China working 18 hour shift 7 days a week.

Is that the business practice you support?
    Somthing tells me that you really believe this so I'll end it here.
    I was in a Wal Mart...once. that was enough.
    blueiedgod, I support any business that thrives on low profit margins, minimizes overheads and has an efficient distribution system. Walmart excels in this respect. As far as quality goes, it depends on the manufacturer, not the distributor. Quality will be the same whether you buy a Honda from Walmart or from a high priced local dealer.

isellhondas, I helped a friend buy a 2010 Honda Accord LX-P for $ 750 below invoice ( there are no rebates this month on 2010 Hondas ) in an all cash deal, this without any haggling. Please tell me why a dealer is quoting me a price below invoice where he will lose money ? I did not ask him to quote below invoice, now if that does not convince people on this board that the published invoice price is bogus, nothing else will.
    ibuylotsofcars,
    I agree with you 100% and I wish there would be a better way to do this business. I use these forums to see how far that I can go with the sales manaagers all the time. It helps to see what people are paying for the cars in reality. Saturn tried it and look where they are. CarMax does it and we will see how long they last. These forums may be what saves the car industry and hopefully the dealerships, the manufacurers and the finance companies will change their business model. I can assure you that there are very few salespeople that are getting rich, it is now a small minority. I would venture to say that the average sales person makes about $175 a car (That's what I make). I have to sell 20 plus every month to make as much as a McDonalds manager so volume is the key. Also, I have seen "unpublished" invoices on all the Hondas and they are the same as the "published" invoices. Only the manufacturer knows exactly what the car cost.
    :):):):):)
    no, they didn't know about the trade-in. When I started shopping for the car, I was thinking of giving my old Saab to my son.
    fasttex, Volume is the key - absolutely ! The sales manager from whom I bought two Hondas in the last month told me that he alone sells between 40 - 50 units a month. He sold 3 today in front of my eyes and this is on a Friday - a weekday ! Salesmen may not get rich on the paltry commissions but the owners of dealerships are minting millions.

Saturn's demise has to do with factors other than the fixed price model. Judging from the traffic in the Carmax dealerships in my area, they seem to be doing extremely well with their fixed price model. Profit margins in the used car business seem to be very healthy. For example I traded in 02 Nissan Pathfinder for a new 2010 CRV, the Honda dealership gave me $5500 for the tradein and within a few days were listing my Pathfinder on their preowned car lot for $10911 !!
    fasttex & isellhondas - check this out:

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/cardeals/honda.htm

Just about every Honda sale price listed here is below published invoice. If the published invoice is the true invoice, then Santa Claus must be bailing out all the Honda car dealerships !!
    Not sure why the link is messed up but type in www.carbuyingtips.com/cardeals/honda.htm manually in the web browser address box instead of clicking on the link. This will take you straight to the Honda sale prices page
    Actually there is an incentive currently running on Accords that can vary based on volume. If a store was willing to gamble they will hit the higher number and willing to give up all of their holdback, I suppose that deal was possible.

This deal was possible if a zero profit deal makes any sense.

Was there a trade in involved that the store really wanted?

Sorry, your theory is what is bogus.
    isellhondas, OK you have convinced me that published invoice prices are the real invoice prices. As you know from reading these forums, and other websites like www.opencarprice.com and www.realcartips.com, the actual prices paid by most buyers are about +/- 500 from invoice which includes dealer installed accessories. So the average selling price is right around invoice. The Gross Margin in this business would then only be doc fees + holdback, or a total of no more than 4 %. Just the dealership overheads are gonna be way more than 4%. No way this is viable business model.

If there are any folks working for dealerships and reading this post, please explain in generic terms how your business model works.
    isellhondas, no tradein was involved in that deal, no financing, just a simple all cash deal. Even if there is an incentive on Accords that Edmunds has not listed, it makes no sense for a dealer to sell a car at zero profit or close to zero profit. When you look at all the car deals out there the numbers dont make any business sense when taken at face value.

On top of that the sales manager had a big smile on his face as he showed us on his computer screen a loss of $1100 on this deal. I have been in business for 25+ years and dont know of anybody other than car dealers who proudly show their customers how much money they lost on the deal !
    isellhondas, I have a friend whose brother is an executive for GM and they get employee pricing on GM cars that I cannot disclose on this forum. All I can say that it is way way below published invoice and will make the average person's eyes pop out if the numbers were publicly disclosed.
  • taimtaim Member Posts: 1
    I bought Honda CRV AWD XL 2010 in Maryland. Out of door price is 23000.
    Hey, you can think whatever you want.

I'm done.
  • tliu5tliu5 Member Posts: 2
    Got an online quote for a 2010 CR-V LX 4WD Quote at Ourisman Honda in Bethesda, MD.
    $18995
    Tax: $1140
    Dest. Fee: $710
    Proc. Fee: $100
    Title, Tags, Registration: $358
    Total: $21,203

Should I get?
    Yes! Go for it. For a 2010, that's a great price! You'll love it! :) Ah, but be careful of those pre-installed extras. They never include those in your quote. If you can get out of there without crazy add-ons and without losing all your savings to the extended warranties and what not - that's quite a deal! :)
  • tliu5tliu5 Member Posts: 2
    My apologies. The quote was actually for a 2WD, not 4WD. The quote for 4WD would be $20,500 + TTL, for a total of about $22,730.

Are the quotes still great for a 2WD? Any thoughts about the 4WD? I could use the 4WD today and yesterday with all this snow on the east coast.
  • dj_nkdj_nk Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a 2010 CRV 2WD including leather in Atlanta for a drive out price of 22,500. If I exclude the leather the price is 21,500 out the door. I am thinking this is the best deal I have got. I negotiated a lot for this.
    I was first shocked to read that you were getting a 4 WD for a lesser price. But I read your correction.
    Your price of 21,200 is a very good price for 2WD. Go for it.
  • godeacsgodeacs Member Posts: 481
    and that's part of the reason why we (taxpayers) had to bail out GM!!...'nuff said! Of course, your source is what?...3rd hand...the old friend of a friend of a friend...LOL

Re: your comment about most people getting cars within +/-$500??? May be true for those who shop here but the large majority of folks get nowhere such a deal. I think it can be safely said that dealer's make up the "shortfall" on other sales....hence, they are not losing $$$ like you seem to think.

Oh....that bozo SM who showed off their losing $1,100 on a deal and smiling??? I have never heard of that before.....he is the rare exception. Of course, he's an idiot for doing so....but that's another story....
  • nora3nora3 Member Posts: 2
    We're shopping in the Baltimore area and are looking for a great out-the-door price and would like to deal online and in-person with a great dealer who doesn't keep playing the games dealers usually play.
    Does anyone have any recent experiences in Baltimore area with:
    Out the door Prices for the CR-V E XL with NAV (Silver or Glacier Blue)?
    Good Internet Experiences?
    Working with Dealers?
    Would appreciate details and input.
    Thanks
  • djw47djw47 Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2010 CRV 2WD for 21,800 OTD in Huntsville, AL. Thought that was a pretty good price, but go for the one you are getting!
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    blueiedgod, I support any business that thrives on low profit margins, minimizes overheads and has an efficient distribution system. Walmart excels in this respect. As far as quality goes, it depends on the manufacturer, not the distributor. Quality will be the same whether you buy a Honda from Walmart or from a high priced local dealer.

What you don't realize is that products sold at Walmart are often specifically made for Walmart to match Walmart's price point. What you think is the same Sony TV, has a part number that is 1 or 2 digits different from the one at any other retailer. It may have been "defeatured" or made to a differeing quality standard, or of inferior parts to match Walmart's price point.

Most of Walmart's "efficiency" comes from squeezing its suppliers to the point of them barely making it. There was a great feature on CNBC that followed this couple who bet their whole retirement on a product and their struggles to sell it to Walmart. In the end, they had to have it made in China, out of inferior materials with fewer features to match Walmart's demands.

So, not everything you see at Walmart the same as elsewhere. Check the UPC numbers.