Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Super Duty - Continued

Comments

• gossamargossamar Member Posts: 106
    Okay crazyelvis, never been to a pink floyd chicken pit, but the concert show they put on is a feast for the eyes and ears. The laser show is a real cinematic event. Does Kenny even know how to spell "lasers?" I will give you the one about backwards southern Ill., although I am from the center of the state, a town called "normal". We have the Diamondstar Motor Manufacturing plant here, they make the eclipse, galant.... What gets me, drive 5-miles across town to the dealer, and they STILL charge the $600.00 some odd dollar for shipping. Don't get that one.
    To all, thanks for info on gas mileage, for those of you whom are new, I should be getting my f250 v-10 3.73ls sc auto at the end of the month. I plan on a BORLA exhaust with Generation II air-charger element. I am now even considering a "chip".
    Cowboyjpm, I enjoyed the story of "trying" to get the truck stuck. I ran into a guy at the local Menards, and he DID get his truck stuck during our last 13" blizzard New-Years eve. It would seem he had a few brews, and buried it in a ditch into a drift taller than the hood. Had to have the township snow-plow tow him out. Of course, he did have some "Street-Radials" which probably did not help.
    Dygertauto, sorry to hear about your miss-hap, have you found any more specifics? Truck wreck, hydraulics fail, fall off the truck...gives me the shivers to think about it.
    ...time for the nightly VOPC call.....
  • cowboyjpmcowboyjpm Member Posts: 17
    I must admit that I got rid of the street radials 3 days after I bought the truck. Went with the BFGoodrich Mud Terrain Radials. But everyone keep in mind that ANY 4x4 can get stuck -- in fact it WILL get stuck unless you show Mother Nature some respect, and don't go where you shouldn't go. And downing some good old Kentucky brew isn't too bright when trying to guess whether or not a mud hole (or snow bank) is "solid" underneath.

But, quite frankly you all know this, and I'll get off my soap box. What I do know is that I think that these trucks - when properly equipped and driven - will do us all proud in mud and snow. And I can't wait until I intentionally try to see how far she can go. **Note** on my own land so I don't have to worry about tearing up somebody else's field - and with a buddy close by with a tow rope attatched to my 4x4 John Deere.

Thanks all, and enjoy.
  • crazyelviscrazyelvis Member Posts: 216
    What is Snow????
    Crazyelvis in Tampa.....

However....I did grow up in Danville, Illinois...Saw my fill of snow!!!!!! I'll have to to with my 4x2 on my trip to the Daytona sand!!! See all of you Northern "suckers" around....hey isn't it gettin' cold up there already???? ha ha.....
    Kenny Rogers can to spell lasers!!!! Have been to a Floyd concert at "old" Tampa Stadium....Cool stuff.....There is a place in Bradenton, Fl called the Bishop Planetarium......where they feature musical artists, an awsome laser show, and gazing at the solar system....best show is when they do Floyd.....I have to admitt they don't do Kenny....
    Van Halen is also pretty cool......Oh well...I guess I'm going to get busted for not talking about a truck topic so here goes.......

CHEVY SUCKS!!!!!!!
  • gthiltongthilton Member Posts: 30
    Larry the Cucumber is one of the computer animated stars of Veggie Tales . .and they're very cool. I have thought about placing a second order but that doesn't do anybody any good but me. I don't think the dealership has been giving me the runaround necessarily, I just want some answers. I do know that when the dealership looks up order status on their computer using "concepts" it is not updated as often as the phone system at VOPC. It has often been a matter of a couple of days behind, so your dealerships response could have technically been what they knew. But if they knew how to dial the phone and punch in those all important numbers that we all know by heart, they might be a little ahead of their Dell or Gateway on the desk.
  • porkyporky Member Posts: 83
    Had problems with our server and was unable to check in. Just wanted to say Thank You for everyone's help.
    I did find out that the order number that I was given was a salesman's code. I left her a message to give me the correct order number and hope I'll be on board soon.
    I also asked her to see if we could upgrade my priority status from 15 to a 1 or 2 !!!! How did everyone else get it?? From what I understand the best any dealership can request is a 10. Looking for suggestions. Once again Thanks, Porky
  • newf3newf3 Member Posts: 2
    I grew up a Chevy man but they lost their touch (like back in 1980). I am going to buy a 3/4 ton dodge or Ford 4x4, diesel LB crew/Quad. I am torn between engines. I drove an Ambulance (F-350 SD) and put about 30k miles (Lots of code 3 here in L.A.) and it was very dependable. Cummins is well known for it's dependability and dodge puts a 100k warranty on it. We keep our vehicles 'till the wheels fall off so I hope some of you SD owners can tell me what the Ford diesel's life expectancy is (well maintained) and reliability through it's golden years. The F-250 is sooooo awsome but I am ignorant about the power train (diesel/6spd/4x4/3.73) Hey, who would know better than you?
  • brett039brett039 Member Posts: 56
    Maybe we should change the topic of this forum to... "When am I gonna receive my truck?" or "How can I track my new truck that's on order?"

I thought the topic was "Ford Super Duty"!!!

Moderator... you're not doing your job! YOU'RE FIRED!!!
  • barresa11barresa11 Member Posts: 277
    I have to second brett039. I think the topic should be split into different subjects. I'd be much more concerned about delivery if I had ordered a new truck (my sympathy with all that are waiting & waiting....). I'm still interested about the details of the SD's, such as reliability, comfort, towing, mpg, options, etc. Come on moderator...wake up!!
    PS. I thought that topics are candidates for splitting when they reach approximately 500 posts because of site integrity?
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    cowboyjpm,

Most of the cold weather I encountered on the trip up in January was in Canada (British Columbia and Yukon Territory). I live in Anchorage. Our winters aren't too bad. We get about the same amount of snowfall as Denver and winter temps are usually in the 20s, although we do have a few cold snaps. The midwest gets nastier weather. The problem with the winters in Anchorage is that they are lengthy. Temps now are in the upper 30s at night and close to 50 during the day.

When I hit those cold temps in Canada in January, the truck started up in the morning after sitting for 8-10 hours without plugging in the block heater. The engine let me know it wasn't happy about starting, but start it did. People were leaving their diesel engines running all night in the parking lot.

As far as getting stuck, my duallys handle great in fresh snow. However, if I try to go off the beaten path into some snow with no hard gravel or pavement somewhere under it, I don't make it far with the duallys. I tried to follow a friend across a lake in March. He had a 95ish F-250 4x4 shortbed with a snow mobile trailer on the back. He had no problems getting to his cabin. My shovel and I got quite a workout. I finally had to give up and take the road in the long way. Like I said, it handles great on the road in fresh snow, even as much as a foot or so, but the duallys aren't all that effective for off-roading.

crazyelvis, I graduated from UCF in the mid 80s. I also spent four years up in Fort Walton Beach in the early 70s.....and 4 1/2 years in Southern CA, four years in Ohio, last year in Dallas, about 20 years in Anchorage, and I was born in North Carolina.
  • nut4scubanut4scuba Member Posts: 9
    The Ford PSD 1999 and 2000 have torque converter problems... be careful of buying one.. My buddy is on No. 4 with only 12K miles.. I spoke with a Ford mechanic teacher.. he says ford knows about it, no solution as of yet and there are keeping there mouths shut..
    keep to the gas... remember 100K warranty is only on the engine, not the driveline.
  • gthiltongthilton Member Posts: 30
    With complete respect for everyone's opinions and search for knowledge on the subject of the Super Dutys, this is the site where I gained great knowledge and figured out exactly how I wanted to configure my order. I don't know how I could have learned it all in one place like I did. But the extreme demand for these trucks, production/order waits, scheduling, priority codes, allotments and VOPC are relative topical concerns. Anybody reading this site can ask their questions. I haven't fail to see one answered, really, except the question regarding bed rugs. Some comradere exists here because wherever we live, or whatever we do for a living, no matter how old we are or what we want to do with our trucks, we do have this in common, and that, my friends, is kinda' cool. I have seen some of the banter, for a nice description, on other sites around here, and I am glad that this site has maintained respectful language and attitudes towards each other and our opinions. Should the moderator split the subject? I do know that this site is a biggie, but there's a reason for that. A split would be ok. How many of you out there would check out both sites if it splits? I would. Thanks for letting me lecture and ramble.
  • smccarthysmccarthy Member Posts: 31
    I have to agree with gthilton. After reading some of the idiocy on other threads, coming back to this one is a refreshing change of pace. As for keeping the 'conversation' on Super Duty issues (not orders, etc.) remember that it IS a conversation. If you want to know physical details about the truck - ASK!!! It's obvious from reading the posts that several of us are about to receive our trucks. I have no doubts that when we do, there will be several posts regarding ride, MPG, troubles, etc. But right now, those of us actively posting are waiting for the hardware! If you want the tone of the posts to change, then get involved and ask questions - don't just 'throw stones'.
  • happyquilthappyquilt Member Posts: 2
    I'm about ready to order a f350 psd.
    -Anyone else having problems with the torque converters?
    -What about the shift on the fly? Seems like I read something about them awhile back...
    Thanks in advance....
    I guess my Kenny Rogers crap pushed some people over the edge. SORRY!! Gee, I've learned all kind of stuff on this site from general to technical. Some of the topics were so technical it reminded me of reading US Navy Submarine Electronics Manuals.....put me to sleep....but the posts were informative. I think anyone here would answer a question about anything to do with a Super Duty truck. I for one am glad that there is light-hearted talk going on in here. I plan on posting in here after I get my truck........kinda drive them crazy.......As for the whiners.....go make your own topic titled "Boring Super Duty Talk"....and let us people who post in here do so the way we like it.......sorry if I sound like an *sshole but there are ALWAYS people who have to complain about something so trivial.....thats why I own my own business (sign business)....when I encounter some meanspirited person who I know is going to be a pain...I give them a VERY high price knowing I won't ever have to deal with them!!!!

Everyone else......great to know you and keep on keepin' on!!!!!!
    Theres my two cents.....maybe three!!
  • lewaclewac Member Posts: 151
    relating to nut4scuba's post regarding torque converters. we've not seen any posts prior to this regarding the problem, but... if this was a major issue those that have had trucks for awhile most certainly would have posted similar. nut4scuba, maybe the truck/dealership is "lemonade"? we've seen some posts indicating that the PSD/auto tranny is not the best match if the intention is pulling heavy loads (which is the only reason you really ought to be ordering the psd to begin with). one of the reasons we ordered the manual over the auto is inherent robustness. that isn't to say that the manual won't give problems, but it's probably less likely to do so than the auto tranny, where both are being used under similar circumstances. (tractor rigs mostly use manuals, right?). of course the downside to the manual is you need all 4 appendages to be working pretty good or it gets "old" real fast. we'd feel confident with the auto if we were ordering gas, but with that diesel working right around 500 little footers most of the time we opted for the manual as we felt it was a better "match".
    just read on another board that the 54E (option code) Telescoping power mirrors ARE available (as of 9/20/99). we're switching our order from 54Y (non-telescoping power tow mirrors) to 54E. note that this should not hold up your truck build if you've got a week or so b4 the actual "hatch".

crazyelvis... 'ain't you got your hands on that truck yet?

our 2 cents worth in regard to this board. we'd not change a thing. if you're looking for info in regard to most any aspect relating to the sd's this is the place. if it does split, though, the moderator needs to keep all past posts available as there's a wealth of info contained within if you've the patience read same.
    happyquilt,

There were some problems with the ESOF when the trucks were first introduced in early 1998. Ford made the fix at the factory in late Spring of 1998. I took delivery of my truck in October of 1998. I have had no problems with the ESOF through the first 23,000+ miles and have used it in extreme temps (Dallas heat and Alaskan/Canadian winter).
    no not yet......hopefully on Friday!!!!! It is driving me CRAZY!!
  • mikey43mikey43 Member Posts: 74
    Whatever happened to Dave the Chevy lover?
    Saw my first Ford Excursion on the road today. Funny, it looks a LOT like my F250 CC SWB 4x4 with cab high cap. Except I think mine sits a little higher. I don't need to carry 8 passengers and I have a lot more cargo space. Also, I think I paid a hell of a lot less.
  • bgilmartinbgilmartin Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the up date on the 54E mirrors. My vehicle is still clean and unscheduled. It's nice to know that the mirrors won't be holding it up.I think this conference has been great, wouldn't change a thing. I vote no split. Last post 804.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    Would anyone like to add to, or amend, the pros and cons as I see them.

ESOF
    For:
    Finger tip control.
    Easier to use 'on the fly'.
    Auto/Manual Hubs. (this is a plus because if the vacuum fails, the hubs can be locked manually).

Against:
    Extra cost (minimal).
    Two more things to possibly fail (vacuum and electrical connection).
    No 'Neutral' position, therefore no PTO and the inability to have the vehicle towed easily with all wheels on the ground.

Manual
    For:
    Less complex.
    Positive engagement.
    Lower cost (minimal).
    Manual hubs (less complex).
    Neutral position available (PTO/towing etc.)

Against:
    Big ugly lever :-)
    No 'shift on the fly' unless hubs are pre-engaged.

Did I leave anything out? In spite of the above, I still lean toward ESOF, probably for the same reason that I'll go for a Lariat rather than an XLT.
    I wish I could sleep down there......but can't. Wife would think I had a girlfriend or something. I want to call Ken...salesman....but I know he can't do anything to get it the 20 miles it needs to go.....hopefully it will get there in the next few days. I hate answering the phone now....I think it will be Ken with my truck....My wife called home.....I work out of my house....4 times today.....I think I was less than polite after #4...I told her to stop calling....oh well I'll have to take her to dinner......Oh ya....to leave something concerning a truck topic....ummmm....ummmm..... does putting a borla exhaust mess with the warantee at all????
  • newf3newf3 Member Posts: 2
    Got more info from the Rammers than I can possibly handle. Wow are they a proud bunch!! Nuts4scuba, thank you for taking a moment of your time. I guess the others aren't up to the challenge. That in itself answered my question. A couple of your posts say you can find out anything here. I guess that is when you aren't to busy *itchin at each other about splitting the topic!! To coin a phrase, I guess I'm Cummin not strokin.
  • happyquilthappyquilt Member Posts: 2
    What kind of mileage is expected on a f350 psd, auto w/3:73 rear end? Is 15 realistic?
    Would 4:10's get better mileage pulling a 26' travel trailer because you could possibly engage the overdrive?
    Thanks again...
  • kubeskubes Member Posts: 23
    Picked up my F250 SD Lariat CC SB 4X4 V10 3:73LS yesterday.
    What a truck - it was woth the 5 month wait. I already put on a SnugTop Expo shell and BedRug today.
  • time4familytime4family Member Posts: 24
    Hkeith- sorry I have been offline for a few. I have a Lariat I think the mirrors are the older version. Ordered 7/27/99 (I will confirm this when I can look at my order form) they do not telescope manually or otherwise.
    Happyquilt I have a psd cc 3.73 F250 and the lowest mileage so far was 14.51 the best was 15.9. I was pulling my boat for part of the 14.51 tank. (2700SCR Maxum 10,000# + on trailer) so I would expect lower mileage. Turns 2100 RPM at 71MPH.
  • sledgehammersledgehammer Member Posts: 3
    gthilton: If you check post #810, I never received a response from anyone. It's hardly that I feel neglected, I'm just surprised that no one seems to know someone who has the Gear Vendors OD behind a V-10 yet. Or, if anyone even thinks it is a good idea. I plan on getting one, but would like to know if they are any good first.
  • jimsrsjimsrs Member Posts: 21
    Well kids here are some new facts from Ford. I'm surprised I haven't seen any posts on this info. The V-10 for 2000 now pumps out 310 horses and 425 pounds of torque (insert "grunt" here). ABS is now standard for xlt and lariat models. Ahh, can you feel the rush? The V-10 sales are on the up swing as compared to 99' where the psd held 65% of the sales. Another important note. As for priority codes the 10 does not amount to much. This will not "speed up" the order. The dealer's give all the orders 10's. Even an 11 or 12 won't get your rig sooner. Hang in there. We're at the mercy of the plant. I'll give you more info soon. Jimsrs
  • brett039brett039 Member Posts: 56
    I guess maybe my delivery of my opinion on spliting this topic was wrong. If I offended anyone, then please accept my appologies. That wasn't my intension at all. I agree this is a great place to gain info about Ford SD's.

Don't get me wrong here... I'm not whining but being very serious here. I come to this site to find out about possible problems, upgrades, and fixes to the SD's. It's very informative and almost everyone has a mature attitude, which is a refreshing change from most message boards. It's just that, for some reason, this topic is almost all about people waiting for their ordered truck with post like... "Only 2 more weeks, I can't wait", "It left the plant yesterday!", "It's on it's way!!!", and "Still waiting...". This kinda takes the "Informative" part away from these great message boards.

I also look through the Dodge Ram and Chevy topics, and they don't even come close to having this many messages like I mentioned above. They're more to the point and informative on their subject.

Gaining information on how to track a truck being built is well within the topic, but having to "drudge" through tons of uninformative postings gets kind of annoying at times.

I know there will be people bashing my comments mentioned above, and that's OK. I'm definitely not trying to upset anyone, just bringing up an issue. That's all! If most people feel otherwise, then I will drop the issue completely. But I felt it at least needed addressing.

All-in-all, I have gain a lot of valuable info in this topic. I think it's great!
  • dave86dave86 Member Posts: 13
    jimsrs: ABS is NOT standard on XLTs. It was for a short time back in June/July when Y2K orders were first being taken, but that has changed. Dealers do NOT place all orders with a priority level of 10. Mine was placed as a 15 in March, and I got the truck in seven weeks. A LOWER number means a HIGHER priority. 10 is the best priority level that a dealer can assign. A zone/regional rep. (whatever they call themselves) can assign a better (lower) priority, and this SHOULD result in earlier build/delivery dates, if all the parts are available at the plant for the configuration ordered.

Bad information is worse than no information.

mac24: ESOF does not limit PTO use or towing with all four wheels on the ground. True, there is no "neutral" position on the ESOF switch, as there is on the manual shift lever, but placing the transmission in neutral will obviously disconnect the engine from the wheels. As far as the ESOF vacuum system goes, if it breaks, all one has to do is manually switch the hubs to the "lock" position. The dash switch will still control the transfer case.

not4scuba and newf3: If you want tons of accurate, up-to-date information on the Super Duty Power Stroke Diesel, and lots of opinions about it as well (especially in comparison to the Cummins), you owe it to yourselves to check out www.ford-diesel.com; look in the Forums section under 1999 and Up.

Dave
  • smccarthysmccarthy Member Posts: 31
    brett039...guess we all kinda jumped ya for your post - sorry. From what I've seen on this thread, folks are generally pretty receptive of others' opinions - none of the immature personal attacks that you see on others. That makes it fun to read and informative. Your opinion is well taken and I'd encourage those our there with 'real-life' experience on the hardware to post with some info. For those of us playing the waiting game, the only thing we have to discuss is the order process and the 'night before Christmas' feeling. I think the tone will change dramatically when the trucks start to arrive and folks start to 'play'.

jimsrs -- I've been strugglin' with the ABS for a long time - my dealer swears that it is NOT std. on XLT - my order has $319 in it for this. This has been consistent on all information I've received EXCEPT the Edmunds site. Where did you get your info? Man I hope you are right, but I sure can't convince my dealer - they go off what the factory system tells them. Any solid proof (more than just Edmund's price list) would be great ammo for pressing the dealer. Incidentally, how do you go about checking if your truck HAS 4-wheel ABS???

newf3 -- have not found much 'chest thumping' on this thread like you do on others. As far choosing Dodge over Ford - after the past three years of driving a Dakota, I'll never buy another Dodge truck again. I'm just grateful I leased it so I can dump it. Looking forward to getting back to FORD for the full-size.

ESOF -- has anyone had any trouble with ESOF? I decided NOT to go for it for much that same reasons as gossamar and mac24 stated. Fewer things to go wrong - somehow I just feel more confident turning the hubs and pulling that gear than just pushing a button. Weird quirk I know, especially for a guy who designs electronic systems. Just wondering what kind of luck folks are having with the ESOF. If I was honest, I'd have to admit that part of my decision was to pass on to my sons the joy of getting out in the mud and snow and muck to turn the hubs. Hey, I had to do it on my Dad's Bronco - no reason they should miss out on all the fun!
    I've had my V10 F250 CC SWB with ESOF since April. Haven't used the ESOF very much, maybe 8 - 10 times, but never had any problems (so far). Also, I haven't thought too much about how the mechanics of it work, but my rig has ESOF and the PTO transmission. Have never used the PTO, and probably never will, but I can't imagine that Ford would build a combination of options that are mechanically imcompatable. Or maybe I give them too much credit for intelligence?
    I use the ESOF alot in the winter. If I was pushing a snowplow regularly or doing a lot of off-roading, I'd have to do some additional research, but for my use, the ESOF was the practical option. Since you're not suppose to use 4wd on dry pavement, the ESOF allows you to shift in and out of 4wd as conditions change. It's convenient to be able to shift from 2wd on the dry hwy to 4wd when I exit and hit some slick side streets. I also use it alot to when exiting a parking lot on to a busy street. I need 4wd to get me safely out into traffic, but I often don't need it once I'm out in the traffic. So, the ESOF maximizes my time in 2wd, which should give the 4wd components a longer life. Like I said, my ESOF has worked flawlessly so far and I've used quite a bit.

My 92 F-250 had a different kind of shift on the fly system that was not vaccuum driven. You shifted the transfer case on the floor from the 2wd to the 4wd drive setting (or 4wd low) and then you back up 10 feet and it engages. I could then shift between 2wd and 4wd when I was driving forward. However, if you shift it back to 2wd on the fly and then back up 10 feet (such as in a parking lot), you could no longer shift on the fly going forward, unless you put the transfer case back in 4wd and backed up again. Like I said, it's totally different now.

Ford may have changed their ABS policy for 2000, but in 1999, it's my understanding that the policy was that ABS is standard equipment on all vehicles with GVWRs over 10,000 pounds. That means that it was only standard on duallys and F-450 and F-550 trucks since the F-350 SRW and F-250 SRW have GVWRs of 9,900 and 8,800 pounds, respectively.

Brett, the conversation will shift once this group of people gets their trucks. This happens occasionally when enough people have trucks on order. I started participating in the Pickups townhall in late 1997. The orginal Superduty topic was started in early 1998. That topic maxed out late last year, so they froze it and started this new one. If you can find the old topic in the archives, you'll see that there was a lot of discussion about delivery issues last year when the truck was first introduced. But, then it shifted to more talk about the trucks as people started getting their trucks and giving feedback. The same will happen again.

Like you and everyone else has said, there is still a lot of useful info on this site. Prior to the creation of the Superduty topic, I actually learned a ton from the guys in the Dodge topics and, yeah, even from an occasional knowledgeable Chevy owner.
    In my post #890 above, I should have said that 4 wheel ABS is not standard on F-250 XLTs. It is an option, as smccarthy says in post #891. Rear wheel only ABS is standard on the F-250 Super Duty XLTs. 4 wheel ABS is standard on all Lariat models and on (I believe) all trucks with a 10,000 lbs. and over GVWR. I believe this includes the F-350 DRW (dually) models. Sorry for any confusion.

I have ESOF, and in the few times I've engaged either 4wd high or low since I took delivery of my truck on April 30 this year, it has worked flawlessly. I expect to use it a lot more once the snow starts to fly here in Maine (which could be tomorrow, you never know in northern New England). Ford did have some ESOF issues with early production Super Duty trucks, but a factory fix was devised and those trucks effected were repaired at Ford's expense under either a TSB or SSM (I can't remember which).

For those not familiar with ESOF, there are still dials on the front hubs. Instead of the dial positions being "LOCK" and "FREE" as they are on non-ESOF trucks, ESOF hubs are either in "AUTO" or "LOCK". In the auto position, everything is controlled from the ESOF switch on the dash, using vacuum to lock and unlock the front hubs. For shifting to 4wd high, this can be done on the fly. Going to 4wd low requires coming to a complete stop and putting the transmission in neutral before shifting to low range. Going back to 2wd does not require shifting to reverse and backing up the truck to unlock the hubs as some "shift on the fly" systems do. Simply select 2wd on the dash switch, and watch the 4x4 light in the instrument cluster extinguish.

If the vacuum system for locking/unlocking the front hubs is broken, or you don't like/trust/want to rely on it, you can always stop the truck, get out (or have your significant other get out), and lock in the hubs manually. My old '87 F-150 had manual hubs. I never had a problem with them mechanically, but I don't like to drive around with the hubs locked unless I really need the front traction, and getting out to lock the hubs in every kind of nasty weather got old. Call me lazy, but the relatively minor cost of ESOF was well worth it to me.

Dave
    You slipped yours in while I was composing mine. Well said. The only thing I would add is that for those who go with manual (non-ESOF) hubs, they can still switch between 2wd and 4wd as road conditions allow, without stopping and getting out to change the hubs, by shifting the transfer case. This means the hubs will be locked while driving in 2wd. Not that big a deal, but as I said in my previous post, I don't like to do this; it decreases fuel economy and increases wear on front drive train components. But, to each his own.

Dave
  • nut4scubanut4scuba Member Posts: 9
    Thanks for the site referal dave86 and lewac for the comment. In fact my buddy is going for the lemon law on his PSD. He loves the truck, but its eating the torque converters. It is a simple test that by grounding out a pin on the electrical connector on the right side of the transmission, it causes the t.c. to engage at an idle. This is not what is supposed to occur. His neighbor is a ford mechanic teacher, an taught him the test. I wont say anymore about the test until I get the exact pin number to be grounded verified. I dont want ppl burning things up.
    Also, I don't get the priority order number status. My new F350 was ordered on 9-15-99, priority 16 and will be here nov, 8th. My dealer is a truck dealer only. Maybe that has something to do with the quick order time. Gonna stay with the gas V10 though.
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    I stand corrected on the PTO issue. Thanks guys. However, on the matter of being towed with all wheels on the ground (and with all due respect to Dave86), I'll stick with Fords '99 Towing Guide. This states that ESOF equipped F Series can NOT be towed like this. Apparently just putting the main transmission in neutral will not cut it. When the vehicle is being towed, the internals of the transfer case, and its connection the gearbox, are all being forced to rotate and this is what causes the problem. If the transfer case can be placed into neutral then this doesn't occur. Why this is a problem I don't know, maybe because the loads are in the opposite direction from normal? Any ideas?
    My owner's manual clearly states that my truck cannot be towed with all wheels on the ground. Actually, I think it says that it shouldn't be towed with any wheels on the ground. I want to say that it's recommended to use one of the flatbed tow trucks.
    Nut4scuba. right. it didn't seem logical that the torque converter was the route of the problem but it would seem very logical that the control for that torque converter could be broke. that makes the scenario an isolated incident & your buddy may want to consider another service dept (at a different dealer) because if I was the mechanic replacing all these converters I'd delve a little deeper & maybe look for a WHY? (cause). the vast majority of dealers want to make their customers "happy campers" but sometimes things just don't work out (like good doctors and bad doctors I suppose).

Crazyelvis, no truck yet. damn. can't believe how long it's taking them to get that truck out of the yard! and just how do they do that? these trucks don't fit on those tractor rig carriers for the most part, do they? at least not the dually's as they're 95" wide & no way those carriers are too (maybe they use flatbed "towing"). We also didn't get our DORA stuff yet (8 days since placing our order). but changed the mirrors from 54Y to 54E. (actually, Ken already had them changed as he remembered that we were "pushing" for them). Ken mentioned that the order had definitely been placed & they're just a little slow 'gettin the DORA out... probably early part of next week.

and Brutus is certainly keeping us abreast of what's happening with his truck. he's got his dually loaded to the max with a large camper slide-in & he's driving that psd around in an environment that can be pretty awful. Brutus, keep up with your informative posts (please, I'm not "slighting" anyone else here).

... and the dunkin-donut post was most certainly the case in regard to the quality of this board... just a wealth of information. and for those that may be tentative in regard to questions? just post the thing! we all gain from the experience even though the data may not be one hundred percent correct in regard to same. we must remember that some of our answers may be opinions that are not intended to be set firmly in concrete. in fact, we often learn from opinions that differ from our own as it may very well be a "fresh look" at the subject.

and we've got a question: we've ordered a short bed & thus, a 29 gallon fuel tank comes with it (that's one of the downsides of the sb). however; what are the options to increasing fuel capacity? an extra tank, of course. but where to find one? noted Aero, something or other out of CA but they don't have anything posted in regard to the y2k SD's. does anyone have knowledge?
    No truck yet....Ken apologized today....he really thought they would have the truck in a detailed for me on Fri when he got to work. I guess there are people at the yard who haul them to the dealerships. There were 90 total trucks that came into the yard on the 30th....and 60 of them went to Gator Ford. Hopefully it will come in on Sat. They get deliveries at night also. The service dept. and delivery area is open 24/7. Oh well...patience is a virtue....or some crap like that!!!!!!!
    Does anyone know anything about my previous post...about the borla exhaust and if it does anything to the waranty????? I know I won't get a chip or anything....but I have a nice dual exhaust on my 97' F150...nice throaty sound.....and would like to get it for the new V10....I guess it probably won't sound as throaty I am told....by my neighbor.....what do you all think...my 150 has the 4.6l.
    To whomever might be interested adding aftermarket stuff..the question was raised as to whether or not it would void the warranty. From the information I have been able to find out thus far..an aftermarket exhaust is okay as long as it is "CAT-BACK". As far as a "chip" is concerned, "DAVE" from Truck Performance Center(see post #879), stated that it would be no problem. Dave even said if there was issues to call him and he would call the dealership personally to set the records straight. I don't think he was pulling my leg....does anyone else have any information? I will be contacting about 5-dealers in my area to get thier opinions, we will see if we get 5-different answers...more on that later.
    Lewac, I also would be interested if there was an additional fuel tank availability. My better halfs parents live in the middle of Minnesota(8-hour drive), so additional cruising range would be great!!
    Very interesting reading on the ESOF stuff, it would appear as though maybe ford figured something out.
    ..now a question for the group....I am considering some HUSKY floor liners for the front and supercab area. Does anyone lucky enough to have a truck have these? If so, do they work good, does stuff get caught on the 2" lip, colors match up with the interior?? The pictures in the catalogs don't do them very much justice.
    ...one more question....any ideas on one of those new "under-rail" tonneau covers. I thought I seen something in an earlier post, but can't find it.
    for smccarthy....I also had to pay for the ABS system, it showed up on my DORA sheet as my order was placed. Kind of cool watching the sales-dude punch your order into the computer. As far as checking, I think you would just have to wait till it came in and check the window sticker to see whether it showed up as "standard-equipment" or in the "options" list.
    ..thanks in advance for the above questions....
    ...sorry took me awhile to get back about the aftermarket stuff, hope the information in my previous post helps...as stated above I will continue to research the issue and report back when I get info...be it good...be it bad
    Major bummer about your truck....let us have a moment of silence for crazyelvis......
  • jimsrsjimsrs Member Posts: 21
    Dave86 and all, sorry if I offended anyone with my last post as to abs and priorities. My source on abs is from Ford Motor Corp. According to this person Ford is making abs standard on xlt's and lariats. Also according to the source priorities don't get anything faster for you unless the dealer has an "in" with Ford. My source buddy works for Ford Motor Corp. I hope he's not giving me "bad info" or else I'm gonna be upset when my S.D. xlt comes with out 4 wheel abs as we ordered it in late August. He said abs was made standard on these models to compete with the new GM rigs as abs is a standard option on theirs.
  • dygertautodygertauto Member Posts: 2
    Received my truck 10-7-99, everything looks good.Black 350 psd cc dually 4x4(awesome). dealer tells me that my outer duals got messed up loading on car hauler and a bumper was damaged. All looks good now so I am pleased(huge understatement). This giant gets as much attention as any of the hot rods I've had.Snowplow goes on next week. Now I can spend my spare time waiting for the mother of all snowstorms to test this baby out.Good luck to you all, I'll keep checking this sight for everyones updates.Newcomers, this sight is the best Rx for Super Duty anxiety.
    Thank you all for the moment of silence!
    Not that I want to show my "ignorance" but what do you mean by "Cat Back" in regard to the exhaust gossamar????
    Cat-Back exhaust is everything AFTER the catalytic converter. This would generally include the muffler, and tailpipe. WWW.BORLA.COM has some info on this. I believe any work done before the catlytic converter, such as headers, are okay as long as the converter is kept. Unless used in racing or other "specialized" applications, I believe is the only time you can remove the converter. Does anybody know of anymore information??
    If any of you have looked under the SD, ford has put a MONSTER of a converter under there. DynoMax makes a universal fit converter that is more "free-flowing". We all know that the better the exhaust flows, the more power we make. Can we EVER have enough power? I don't think I will be upgrading the exhaust system to that extreme, at least not yet.
    Dygerauto, congrats on new new arrival. Tell, us boy or girl??? Do you have a garage BIG-ENOUGH?? The weekend I brought the "test-unit" home, I had about 2-inches of clearance going into the door, and the beast took almost 1/2 the garage up. I have a 24x30 garage also!! Might I ask what type of snow-plow you are putting on your truck? I did order mine with the plow package, but might wait a bit before deciding to put on the truck. Right now I am on the "snow-team" at work, so I really would not be able to make any money as I would be stuck plowing at work rather than for me. Around here WESTERN seems to be a popular choice.
    Well...time for lunch
  • mcougermcouger Member Posts: 1
    Well, as of this past Monday, my order went in and now the wait begins...14 weeks was the quote from the dealer. I have ordered an F350 SD PSD Crew Cab LWB SRW Lariat package. Wish me luck as I test to see how patient I really am.
This discussion has been closed.