Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    Anyone with an LE get the dual front tow hooks on theirs? The nissanusa list them as a standard feature but they are not on mine?

Seperate question, anyone know if the wireless headphones will work without the factory DVD system? The owners manual doesn't really say one way or the other so I'm wondering if the transmitter is installed? I'm getting ready to put in a aftermarket system and wonder how much I need to do.
  • vmccaulvmccaul Member Posts: 27
    I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of Nissan. We had a 92 Nissan Sentra that we drove over 150,000 miles with no problems...and the same for a friend of mine with a Maxima. My sister has had a Nissan pickup for over ten years, and only now is it beginning to have problems.

I don't know if the Armada will be as trouble free. There seems to be a good deal of people complaining about it, but mine is problem free so far. I get the feeling people are expecting this to be a luxury car, and forget that it is truck based. It isn't meant to be a mini van or sedan.

I can't speak for Nissan's other current vehicles, but Nissan has been reliable in the past. I'm sure a lot of other Nissan owners would agree with me.
  • adjmcloonadjmcloon Member Posts: 70
    I was cleaning my ride this evening, and when I went to wipe off the back door windows, both of them would give about 1/2" either way as I wiped side to side. Anyone notice any play in the back door side glass?

-N
  • ldbrickerldbricker Member Posts: 140
    as the rest of them. My inlaws have had them for almost 2 decades and generally had good service. They just don't do anything for me. If it isn't 510, 240, or 260 I just don't have any interest. As to the Armada, I had to come check out the forum to see what all the negativity spilling out to other boards was about. It appears they've missed a beat or two that have lead to significant dissatisfaction among a large number of owners. Hopefully for all concerned it will be resolved acceptably.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    the 350 should peak your interest...if you drive it. it puts the 240, 260, and 280 to shame.
    for sheer performance, but doesn't have the intangible appeal of the 240 and to a slightly lesser but acceptable degree the 260. By the 280 they had already lost it so it isn't in my list either. For the level of admission to the 350 I would rather have an Evo or STi.
    doesnt have a/c or a radio...dude, its not even close in apples to apples comparison.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    For '05 it may (?) have a radio too.

Bob
  • chuntmdchuntmd Member Posts: 17
    The LE has front tow hooks. I think all models do.

Chris
  • tiggerguytiggerguy Member Posts: 76
    ...Just had to comment on that STI vs 350Z talk....Unless you are petite, only the die hard boy racer is going to feel comfortable in the STI. Comparing that, which is a street legal outlaw oval tracker, to a Z, which is a sports car that is built more for touring rather than Baja wannabes, is kinda ridiculous. (you can also drift in a Z..LOL) I've sat in and driven both, they are made for two different types of people. Kinda like comparing a Hummer and a Range Rover.
    Back to the Armada, Mine is still trouble free, and I met someone the next town over with one that is ALSO trouble free. Like I said, the planets were alligned when mine was built, as well as many others. Coming from GM products, I'm used to much worse. It doesn't make up for these problems, Nissan better get their act together by the time I trade, or I'm gonna have to go buy that STI LOL
    and the STi has automatic climate control as already mentioned. Since a large percentage of people upgrade the factory stereos anyway the absence of one is no biggie to me. As previously mentioned, I'd pick the Evo first but be thrilled with either one as a gift.
  • mdaryamdarya Member Posts: 11
    Long time reader of this forum.

I have been offered $3700 off a LE with Tech/DVD. Is this a pretty good deal? Are they going for invoice or below? Only two in area with Navi. Not really that interested in DVD player, but would like the Navi.

Thanks
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    are all below forecast. Dealers blame little ads on media. But, I guess some are waiting for problems to get cleaned up. A broker offered me invoice a couple months ago. I bet you can do better than that. Start with $500 below invoice. They got holdback to dip into.
  • davemandaveman Member Posts: 19
    My LE also does not have any tow hooks in the front. My dealer said these are only standard on the 4WD version, and I have the 2WD. Did anyone else get tow hooks on a 2WD LE included as a standard option? The internet site says they are standard on the LE.

By the way - I have about 1500 miles and have been trouble free - no resonance or issues of note.
    I think that must be the case. The brochure says 4x4 only, but the web site does not differentiate? I'm going to try and get them this weekend and reference the web site. I don't really have any need for them but hate to give up anything.
    http://www.quirkcars.com/nissan/cars/armada.pdf
    "I don't really have any need for them but hate to give up anything."

Why do I have visions of an hour long grind for the last $35 in the deal? Oh well, at least the dealer will get the opportunity to either absorb the cost in house since the brochure clearly explains it's 4x4 only and Nissan isn't going to supply them or the opportunity to say no to an unreasonable request and then be bad mouthed over the turn down. Either way the dealer wins again.
    Not going to waste an hour, have some other things to be done and if they throw them in because Nissan clearly states on their web site that it is as a standard feature and contradicts themselves in another source then great! If not I'll let it go.
    "Nissan isn't going to supply them..unreasonable?" I'm not so sure since they state in one publication that it is standard... I don't plan on bad mouthing Nissan or the Dealer but I will bring it to their attention. I'd like to have every bell and whistle said to be included needed or not.
  • katzatkatzat Member Posts: 45
    A friend of mine just bought an Armada a couple of weeks ago and seems to really like it. My wife and I bought a Sequoia back in September that took 4 months to deliver, so when the Armadas hit the lots, I was sort of wishing I had not already ordered the Sequoia. We love the Sequoia, and my wife dislikes all other SUVs so we would have bought the Sequoia anyway, but I like my friend’s truck.

He is a huge guy (6’ 6” and nearly 300 lbs) but he doesn’t look huge in it although he prefers not to (or can’t) put the arm rest down. With him in the front seat with it all the way back and well reclined, I can sit in the back seat (6’ 2”) without my knees on the back of the front seat – very comfortable.

His criterion for the vehicle was something that he could sit in comfortably, and decided that the best thing for him was the Infiniti Q56 that he saw pre-release at the Chicago Auto Show. When he looked at it at the dealership, he liked the truck, but could not plug his Ipod into the sound system. The salesman searched all over the truck for a jack and put a call into corporate to locate it (apparently it doesn’t exist). By chance, he walked across the lot to the Nissan dealership, popped his head into one and saw an Aux button on the radio and an Aux hole in the dash and bought the truck on the spot (loaded smoke LE 4x4).

When he first brought it to the office a couple of us took it out for a spin. Ran it on the expressway at 90 mph and never heard any of the resonance issues that others have noticed here. I am sure that he hasn’t noticed it or he would have complained. The Armada seems to be at lest as quiet inside as my Sequoia (I think – kids always screaming), and the sound system is much better.
  • indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    Nissan must monitor this chat....!
  • soldaustinsoldaustin Member Posts: 91
    I have an SE with no hooks on my 2 wheel drive. I helped a friend buy a LE 2 wheel drive. His has hooks. The dealer told me they are standard on all LE models. I did look at the front of them and every single LE had one on their lot. I think someone is telling you wrong about that.
    Has anyone seen the .pdf diagram that shows the connector layout on the Bose radio? I had posted before and some had installed and ordered the kit from Grubbs. The diagram I saw is for an Armada, has photos (professional brochure) and says you just need the extension cable and the antennae. IT says the cable coming out the back of the radio as others have mentioned needs to be plugged into the receiver box you buy. It also shows where the antenna wire is run along the front pillar post and shows how to connect it. I want to do this now that I know where the cables are. The only thing is, Grubbs will not sell the cable anymore. Doesn't anyone know where to buy it? Maybe they are the only ones that aren't selling the cable? I don't think this is probably the case. Anyway I didnt' know if anyone else has seen this since it was a hot topic for awhile. I don't know how it could be posted.
    of the Armada brochure both say only 4x4 for the front hooks. Sounds like the guys on the line are just grabbing hooks and putting them on whichever colors they like or something.
    Build an LE 2wd and pick the standard features listing, look under exterior and the following is listed:

Exterior

Automatic on/off headlights
     Fog lights
     Puddle lights
     Roof rack with crossbars
     Running boards
     Chrome grille
     Dual front tow hooks
     Dual power heated outside mirrors
     Rear sonar system
     Flip-up liftgate window
     Front UV-reducing solar glass
     Rear privacy glass

Doesn't say anything about 4x4 only huh?
    but just looked at what it gave as standard. Maybe that's where the discrepancy is coming from, "if you build it tow hooks come" to murder a movie line.
  • yamamotoyamamoto Member Posts: 8
    I own both, sti is an amazing car on and off the track. Build quality is superb.

I have had the qx56 for 3 weeks, it makes the low frequency rumbling noise when I drive over bumps. Called infiniti consumer line today, they have a tsb to fix it.

We'll see if they can fix it.
    Hey when you take your vehicle in please post the TSB. Nissan says there isn't one yet and now to hear Infinity has one does not make me happy but it could help to get mine fixed and everyone else on this board. I still need to take mine back for the same couple of problems I am having. Rotor sound kicking in under the hood at idle, popping sound coming from somewhere when I take off after sitting for only a very short time. (maybe 5 minutes or less) Drive off and pop, pop. Like something is in a bind. It sounds to me almost like a spring popping but it is hard to tell. As I posted earlier, they didn't hear it until I went and drove it off and Pop, pop. THey heard it for the first time. It only does it every single time you drive off. (after sitting) I am sure they will find it I just haven't been able to do without my vehicle for the extra time. It has been in the shop 4 times now since December. I know it can take time and I am trying to be patient. I wouldn't mind as much if they gave me a vehicle to drive.
  • klondike_x5klondike_x5 Member Posts: 33
    For those of you that have the the Armada with the bose system, where is the sub located? I just left the dealership asking them to point it out to me and NOT A SOUL could answer that question. So alittle help if you would.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Under the driver seat.
  • mseenviromseenviro Member Posts: 64
    Considering the bad press and problems with the rotors and resonance, what are people seeing Armadas going for these days, in relation to invoice. Before all the problems arose I was looking into them and found them available for around invoice in December. I have to think it is less now. What is your experience?

Thanks,

Mike
    isn't good enough any more. Now thay are giving you the car at no charge plus a crisp $100 bill for the first fillups. It's a special through income tax day.
    why would anyone (with a rare exception or two) sell merchandise for less than they pay for it? i swear...a good deal isnt a good deal anymore.
  • nickg5nickg5 Member Posts: 16
    Hi everybody,

We are looking at an Armada LE 4X4. I am not sure I really want to pay for the tech package. Unless it makes an even better deal. I do want the Sunroof and DVD packages through.

Should I expect to pay around invoice or a bit over? Maybe make an offer of $200-400 over invoice?

Any other experiences please share.

Thanks

Nick
    Exactly my facetiously presented point. No one is satisfied with a good deal. No one is happy or able to sleep at night unless they've screwed the car salesman out of every dollar there is to get and when it's all over with their extra 3 stops at different dealers and several hours of shopping and then grinding the last one amounts to the price of one lousy soda a day when it's amortized over the life of the car. One lousy soda a day for several hours of grief on their part and very little income on the salespersons part. I just wish every one of them had things turned around on them in their income stream, whatever it may be.
    then add taxes, and make it your offer. its as simple as that. if $200 over invoice is as high as you can afford, fine. if its a little more, then there is nothing wrong with paying a little more to make the deal easier.
  • sub9904sub9904 Member Posts: 72
    Last time I checked (which was a while ago) Carsdirect.com had Armada's in the Bay Area going for 100.00 over invoice. That's through a middleman so you might be able to get a better deal on your own.

Bowke28, spoken like a true salesman. And to think a car salesman has never tried to sell a vehicle at the highest possible price?

Came back from Az. the other day. Saw an Armada pulling a ski boat. Climbing up out of the Co. River he was passing a truck towing a boat doing 70mph+. Looked like the Armada was full of people too. Pretty impressive.

Jury is still out for me. Unfortunately I think it's just too small. On our trip I had two 33"x14" suitcases, a jogging stroller (kept the front wheel on), large tackle box and 3 poles, 3 pairs of rubber boots, backpack with the laptop, two ice chests (12pk or more type size), 4 or 5 pairs of extra shoes, food, coats hanging on the bar in the back, and a couple of pillows and I could still see out the rear view mirror! Oh and the wife's art bag and sketch board. I know there is no way I could get all this stuff inside an Armada. Kids aren't getting smaller either.
    is there any denying that offering more money makes the deal go smoother? no. the decision is how much is the convenience worth. obviously, he wants the best price with the least amount of haggling, or he would already have made an offer.
  • cdogcdog Member Posts: 12
    In northern California, Carsdirect.com shows 4x4 SEs going for $400 below invoice; an LE 4x4 for $2,500 above invoice. Dealers have generally asked a few hundred above invoice for 4x4 LEs, range 2% to 3% over. I have not noticed any significant drop in pricing since November. BTW, Carsdirect.com rates Armada resale value as good.
    fault the car salesperson for wanting to sell at full price turn around and tell their boss when it's time for a raise to lower the amount to a wholesale level. I wonder how many of them want their product or service to be sold at cost and have to depend on unit bonuses to make profit. I wonder how many of them could last a month if things were turned around the other way. I've never bought a car the way these people talk about. I've always used a system that rewarded the salesperson with a decent deal. I never realized how large a percentage of people are jerks when it's time to buy a car until I swapped sides of the desk. Fortunately there are some nice ones that come in from time to time, like a nice couple I had as guests yesterday, that offset the majority.
  • mpowermpower Member Posts: 5
    How do I relocate the front plate to the middle of the radiator opening...I know this is a tip/tirck, just need to know how to do it. Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If you have broadband, check out the Armada video in the video gallery. I missed it when it was put on the site a while back.

Ignore the comments about the name :-)

Steve, Host
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    How foolish of me. All these years I thought that being a consumer was about trying to get the best product at the best price.

Thank you for clueing me in that being a consumer is really about making sure your sales person is happy and well compensated.

I saw a survey that showed that most people would rather get a root canal then deal with a car salesman. Unfortunately, there are a lot of "bad apples" out there who have poisoned the process of buying a new car through stupid games and outright malicious and illegal behavior. That's why it is hard to feel to much sympathy for someone on the "other side of the desk", when one is dealing with a system that is stacked against the consumer.
  • adjmcloonadjmcloon Member Posts: 70
    I've been on both sides of the desk, and even after that experience I feel no sympathy for car salesmen. I spent 4 weeks in training learning pretty much every game there is to play with consumers. Although I recognize that dealers need to pay bills, some of the things I was taught in my training were unscrupulous, to say the least. I bounced around a few different dealerships over the span of 3 years, and pretty much all of them operated the same way. Consumers are well advised to be as ruthless as they can with salesmen, because regardless of how much you can negotiate off the price of a vehicle, the dealership will always get theirs. Sucks for the salesman sometimes, because they only get paid off of what they can gross before holdback, but dealers will always get their 3-5% on a vehicle.

It would be much easier if all dealers would go to a system like Saturn uses, but I doubt it will ever happen. When buying a car, keep in mind that invoice is never really invoice.

-Nathan
  • lucajalucaja Member Posts: 21
    There's nothing wrong with salesmen trying to sell at the highest price and there's nothing wrong with customers trying to buy at the lowest price. The "hassle" comes from lack of knowledge and poor negotiating skills--such is capitalism.

Some people view it (the purchase process) as a game, others as a chore. Some are quite willing to spend an extra 4, 5, 6 hours (or more) to save that last dollar while others value their time more than the last bit of savings they could achieve by holding out. There's nothing inherently wrong with either, though a firm reasonable offer is the most efficient way to buy something. There's also nothing wrong with throwing out a low-ball offer either.

I've bought many cars--and have always gone to at least 2 dealers after doing quite a bit of research. While I've tried to be loyal to dealers I've worked with in the past, more often than not, those dealers never came back with the best price on a subsequent purchase (perhaps thinking that they've built up trust with me and that I won't question them as much or push for the best deal).

Either way, I've never been unable to close a deal in less than an hour and have generally paid less than invoice or slightly above (depending on demand for the vehicle).

Personally, I'd rather cut dealers out completely--because I really don't see what the value-added service is that they provide--but the laws are such that manufactures can't sell direct to consumers. This is not meant to be a general indictment of car dealers--it's just that for me, the dealer has never been more than a means to an end--and has never really added anything positive to the equation. Given the choice, I'd rather deal with manufacturer owned showrooms and service centers.

As for the Armadas, I was seriously looking into them, but went with a Durango instead. Either way, Nissan has a large enough hold back that the most I would pay is a few hundred less than invoice. My suggestion, pick you price, stick to it and shop it. No need to waste too much time, find a dealer, find the finance manager/sales manager/internet dealer or whatever and make your offer--then do the deal or walk.
    "When buying a car, keep in mind that invoice is never really invoice."

actually, it is...tell me, sir, how is it that you worked in car sales for 3 years, and STILL dont know how holdback works?????

as for the armada, the deals, while mostly operating from invoice-up now, are still holding a good amount of profit.
    with the same respect and courtesy one would want if they were the guest AND for the guest to treat the salesperson with the same courtesy and respect they would want if they were the salesperson. It doesn't matter how many other dealers are unscrupulous nor does it matter how many jerk customers have already been in. Until the salesperson shows you he/she is unscrupulous they deserve fair treatment and fair compensation. Until you show the salesperson you are the typical anal orifice customer you deserve fair treatment and a fair discount. I am not suggesting to go in and pay sticker right off the bat. I am stating that a couple hundred dollars over invoice is not overpaying. It is a fair number for both sides of the deal. Once again, $200 over is at most the price of one lousy soda a day more than whatever the 2 hour grind lowers the vehicle cost to.

For those who disagree, and I know there will be plenty, please list your occupation and your compensation so we can all suggest a fairer number for when we avail ourselves of your product or service. Also, please list the overhead for your company so we can determine how much you need to make per unit minimum. Then we'll let you know if you should continue at your present compensation or if you should be cut back to "invoice or lower" because you are making too much money.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can read more here: Dealer holdback

tidester, host
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    dealers and salepeople have screwed the whole process up. I agree that in the big picture a couple of hundred dollars is not a significant amount. I think the bigger thing is that most folks don't want to walk out of a dealership wondering if they have been screwed.

My best car buying experience was a couple of years ago. I did some research, and made a fair offer that was accepted by the salesperson with only some minor give and take. In amazement, I asked him how come they were not giving me the old run around going to the sales manager, etc. He said, "I'm a professional - I've been here three years, and I know what I can and cannot do." If I left some money on the table, it was worth it for a pleasant and easy experience. Unfortunately, that dealer has been gobbled up by a national chain.

The worst experience was four years ago I tried to make a purchase through the internet manager. When I showed up I got "bait and switched" and then the sales person tried to pressure me into the new deal. I walked out after less than five minutes. As I walked out, he made an obscene gesture towards me for the benefit of his partners in crime in the showroom. Mr. Cool thought I could not see him, but he did not realize that my wife was still in the showroom to see what he did. He did not get my business.

Finally, don't blame the customers for spending hours trying to negotiate. Dealerships have a finely honed system of bouncing you around and beating you down, in order to try to extract every penny they can. They are the one's who drag the process on, just to wear you out.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    When buying a car, keep in mind that invoice is never really invoice

It's not just holdback. There are all kinds of payments in kind, spiffs, bonuses, etc. that the consumer never hears about. Probably a few that the sales staff never hears about either!

That's why invoice is never really invoice.

Steve, Host
    dealers, salespeople and customers have screwed it up. I'm not going to touch the chicken/egg aspects of it, just to say it's both sides that have ruined it.

I appreciate your attitude that a couple hundred dollars is insignificant. Unfortunately, way too many shoppers go berserk over just such a small amount. For them, it won't even buy them a soda on the daily difference. For the salesperson, it may be the difference between a decent income and a mini deal.

If a deal is fair it should be taken, provided the salesperson has done a good job and earned the opportunity. If they've been a jerk or done a lousy job it's reasonable to ignore their work and move on to the next one. If they've earned the sale then it's wrong to take their work and go down the street for maybe $100 difference.

It would be as if someone came into your computer store and configured a system and had you map out all the options and software and networking setup etc. then went down the street to the other dealer and handed him a spec sheet and all he had to do is put it together. <<< Replace with any example you like that matches your chosen field.
    im surprised that even you would make an ignorant statement like that.

the published invoice price is what a dealer pays for the vehicle. bonuses and spiffs, including holdback are used to offset the floorplan loan interest at the end of the year. this money is only paid to the dealer once per year, and ONLY if there is a positive settlement. most of the time there is, which is why its not a finite amount of money at the time of a deal.

i hope this helps you guys. its really getting tiring hearing about the "double-secret-hidden-back-end-holdback-in-the end" money that doesnt make a difference.

especially for those of you who have been on here awhile.