Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• llajumpvidllajumpvid Member Posts: 76
    watch out or Nissan will void your warranty because you went over 250 miles between changes (3months/3750 I thought is the required interval):). I'm due in a few weeks for the 3 months even though I'll only have about 2200 on her....Wonder how long before Congress get involved and forces the auto industry (who is probably paid by the oil industry to make the best end users possible) to get rid of the stupid 3 month thing. Heck how long do the oil cans sit on the shelf...with the price of oil these days I would hope they would do something about this...I paid for a 7 yr warranty so I'll have to stick with the 3 month deal for a while.....
  • tloke1tloke1 Member Posts: 185
    "watch out or Nissan will void your warranty because you went over 250 miles between changes (3months/3750 I thought is the required interval):)."

There is NO way Nissan (or any other manufacturer) could void your warranty just because you missed an oil change by a few hundred miles, a few weeks, months, whatever. First of all, the ONLY part of the warranty they could "void" would be for parts that failed as a direct and exact result of the extended oil change - and that would be all but impossible to prove.

Auto manufacturer's CANNOT REQUIRE you to abide by any alternate maintenance intervals that are reasonable and especially when based on different driving conditions. As it is there is a lot of controversey surrounding the necessary oil change requirements. Obviously many conditions come in to play but I have seen reports where oil has been run 4,000, 5000, 7000, 10,000 miles etc. with absolutely no difference in engine wear or any other noticeable drawbacks.

Also, there are many different brands of oils out there. They certainly cannot tell you which brand to use, as long as it meets the listed SAE requirements and weight, meaning that one can use synthetic oil which has much longer recommended intertvals. Manufacturers certainly cannot void your warranty if you use synthetic.

Again, they would have to PROVE that whatever interval you used caused the damage. Pretty much impossible as you are NOT going to damage your engine whether you go 3000, 4000, 5000 miles or whatever.

I also hope owners are not falling for the line that some dealers tell customers that they MUST go to them for all maintenance work, that is absolutely not true. I have always done all of my own oil changes. HOW would they ever prove when I changed my oil, I could note any mileage I wanted in my "log" book.
  • big0147big0147 Member Posts: 15
    Where are you located if you dont mind me asking?
  • btill1btill1 Member Posts: 69
    Upton Massachusetts
  • driftracerdriftracer Member Posts: 2,448
    thanks for the information - I've been beating my head against the wall dealing with all the urban legends that people hear and pass on.

The ONLY way your warranty could ever be voided, when related to maintenance, is when there are obvious signs of abuse, like 1/2" of oil pudding baked onto the valve covers, or no proof of an oil change for 15,000 miles, and there is a major failure.

I investigate and testify in lemon law and breach of warranty cases governed by the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Improvment Act - no manufacturer would ever attempt to be so critical as to time you with a stopwatch to make sure you're right on your mileage requirement. It's also the manufacturer's burden of proof that your neglect caused the failure before anything could be denied.

Also, the alternate maintainence schedule (more frequent) is recommended only and canot be mandated, with the exception of commercial vehicles where the lemon law doesn't apply and there are a different set of rules.
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    Maybe Nissan USA should just dynamat the Armada roof from the factory. They could probably get a good bulk rate on the stuff.
    Thanks for the info, I was actually half joking about the strictness of the maintenance interval. I glad to hear though that it isn't as binding as I thought in terms of time/milage...That will probably save me a oil change or two a year.
  • offroadnarmadaoffroadnarmada Member Posts: 65
    man im getting ticked off. my vehicle just got back from her 5th or 6th time in the shop, and she has scratches all on her door, and pry marks on the window buttons. on top of that, the "fixed" window issue is coming back!! i was beginning to feel optimistic about everything, but it seems everytime something is fixed, three more issues come up along with the previous one. thank god none are drivetrain issues, i might have a heart attack over that.
  • nwarmadanwarmada Member Posts: 7
    I am running full synthetic and changing the oil every 5K miles which justifies the extra cost by going a little longer between changes. Severe maint. schedule calls for 3750 and non severe calls for 7500. 5K should be fine with full Synthetic. I run about 50% freeway and 50% city and tow a small (2500lb) tent trailer. My brother ran full synthetic in his Subaru Legacy. He had to have the head gasket replaced at 165K (common for his year of Subaru)and the mechanic said "I can tell you use synthetic because this engine looks brand new". He is over 200K now and it still runs like the day he bought it.

Took the Armada in for the 2nd time for warped brake rotors (front only) and they turned them again. I suspect I will get another 5K before they warp again at which time they will have to replace the rotors after already turning them twice. They are still within spec. and they apparently have taken very little meat off of them each time.

Will be taking it in next week for roof fix and to replace overhead console. The bolts have pulled through and cracked the plastic in the front two compartments. I beleive others have encountered the same problem.

Now that it is warning up and I have 10K on my Armada. The problems mentioned above are all that I have had to deal with. Many of the squeaks and rattles seem to have disappered. Even though I am having the roof fixed I can barely hear or notice the resonance problem anymore. It seems to have gone away.

Dealer has still been top notch. On both visits they have provided a loaner car and have always had the work done in 1 day. I Love my Armada but due to first year issues I will likely trade it for a "newer" one once the warrantly expires regardless of any financial loss. I have an SE with tow package and Bose and will likely get the SE Offroad next time.
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    I would only recommend using synthetic if
    - you absolutely love your vehicle, and you need to give it the best you could.
    - you intend to keep your vehicle till 100K and beyond
    - you tow a lot and frequently keeping your engine at high temperature

If you cannot answer yes to any one of the above questions, you are wasting your money ($30 more for 8 qts) at each oil change. No dealer would brink when you trade in your vehicle by saying "I have been using synthetic...". Only a few people would appreciate it. I run synthetic in my BMW, as it is recommended by BMW.
  • nwarmadanwarmada Member Posts: 7
    I agree that for the vast majority of people full Synthetic is overkill. I do it simply because I love my vehicle(s) and simply want to give them the best. I can get 7 qts of Mobile 1 Synthetic for $28 at Walmart and then get a higher end oil filter for $6-$10 making it about $38 for an oil change. I do my own oil changes so that further makes it afordable for me. Many people get charged $35+ for regular oil at their local quick lube shop or the dealer. I justify the extra cost by doing it myself and going slightly longer between changes (5K intervals). I agree that most people don't need synthetic unless using their vehicle under a few of the conditions you mention. Just thought I would add my 2 cents tot he topic of oil changes. Thanks!
  • ksloan78ksloan78 Member Posts: 27
    "all Armada's have a roof that vibrates more than the owner would like, and interferes with someone who has a DVD. Is this the "roof problem" you refer to?" ---- YES!!!
  • ksloan78ksloan78 Member Posts: 27
    perhaps you're just hard-of-hearing and can't hear it!!
  • norbnnorbn Member Posts: 70
    The difference betweeen the price of synthetic and regular oil is less than a tank of gas. I think its worth it. I use Mobil One on all my cars. It gives me a sense of security especially if I don't have time to change the oil right on the recommended mileage. I can go over and know that the Mobil One is OK. I try to do my own oil changes and pick up Mobil One at Sam's club.
  • adjmcloonadjmcloon Member Posts: 70
    Yeah, the roof is fixed but the squeaks are worse. Renamed it from "The Beast" to "Squeaky". I can't wait to get out from under this thing- I've posted it for sale all over. So let's see, what to buy now? Maybe I'll go back to my trouble-free Tahoe. The Toyota Sequoia looks nice too. Not as much power, but at least I won't have to put it in the shop every other week. I would get a Titan but it's 1st year too. Oh well, and I had such high hopes. Maybe in 2006...
    on a nice note, direguarding my current issues with my baby, i was driving down a new road yesterday (it was raining pretty bad) and didnt notice that i needed to slow down from 40 to 20 until after i had gone around the curve. needless to say, i slipped a little. i felt and heard some noise from the rear right then the front left and i was on a straight path.

when this same incident happened in my 1989 blazer, i did a 180 and then a 360, fortunately not hitting anything.

while i might need to improve my driving habits during rain, it feels really nice to know this thing keeps going straight. it was also (shh dont tell nissan) kind of fun O_O
  • presplanpresplan Member Posts: 30
    has anyone put a hood protector on their truck? If yes, how does it look? Any additional noise coming as a result? Does it help give a better idea where the front of the truck is (I find it a little hard to see where the front of the truck is as the hood slopes down and prevents you from seeing the actual start of it ). Thanks for your responses.
    i put one on. i have a black SE and it makes her look even sexier. It does help somewhat in distinguishing the end of the truck. I haven't noticed any noise from it at all. just for looks itself, the hood guard is worth $70.00, in my opinion.
  • presplanpresplan Member Posts: 30
    I wish they had a camera or sonar system in the front of the car as well. It's hard to judge exactly where the front is. Sounds like the hood protector helps a little. Thanks for your response. I am going to put one on as well.
  • klondike_x5klondike_x5 Member Posts: 33
    Well genius, if the noise is as bad as you claim, then it wouldn't matter if I were hard of hearing. Nice reply, how about making a post that requires you to USE YOUR BRAIN.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Okay, guys, enough! It scares off the lurkers and newbies. Obviously, ksloan forgot to post the smiley at the end of his post and klondike can't resist a retort.

Let's stick to the topic and leave the barroom barbs for another location.

tidester, host
    nobody else is having issues with their windows? at all...? i must be the lucky one...
  • gecko66gecko66 Member Posts: 5
    Just wanted to post that I now have 2300 miles on my Armada and don't have any issues yet. I have been keeping watch for any of the issues that others have posted, but just don't have any yet. I will keep my fingers crossed!

I love the way this thing tows! I have towed a couple of times with mine and the power is fantastic.
  • berisimusberisimus Member Posts: 31
    My Armada has nearly 9K and I must say it has been almost entirely problem free. That having been said, I noticed today a common problem reported on this board. My overhead console (front portion only) has come loose at the head liner. My car wash guy looked at it and said that both bolts had cracked through the plastic. He said the same thing would happen again even if a larger metal washer is used. He suggested a rubber washer to better absorb the road vibration. Anyway, my Nissan service tech says I must bring the vehicle in to the dealership as there is a "part" for this. He would not elaborate on the phone. Has anyone had this problem fixed recently and, if so, what exactly is the "fix". I do not have resonance, squeaks, or brake/rotor issues so consider myself fortunate at this time. I love my vechicle and am constantly receiving compliments and "looks".
    I can not select the AUX or the DVD on the rear controls. I don't have a factory DVD so that would explain why I can't select the DVD. I can only get the AUX to light up if I turn off the rear control on the dash and select the AUX up front. Is it just mine or is that the way they are? If it is thats irks me because I have my aftermarket DVD hooked into the AUX and want to be able to use the headphones for AUX in the rear and play the radio up front!

fyi Sony's Model MDR-IF0230 works in the Armada and Titan. I picked up a couple pair for around $20/ea with shipping on ebay.
  • nitemasknitemask Member Posts: 33
    I actually posted that before also. I'm having the same issue, and trying to figure out how to have the aux in the back and the radio or CD up front. I was asking if anyone knew how to make it work, no replies yet.
    During the last couple weeks, while I'm driving with the rear passenger window halfway down, it shakes and makes sounds like glass against metal. Hopefully, they'll be able to fix this issue.
    Reading the owners manual it sounds like you should be able to select AUX? There is a part in the manual talking about AUX on the DVD player so I don't know if that is what the rear controls AUX is for. If it is there has to be some way to rewire the thing I would suspect. If someone would check to see if they get the same results as what I and nitemask are experencing. Hopefully its a bad rear control unit.
    I was trying to figure out the same question earlier this week. From playing with the controls, I could only send the AUX signal to all of the speakers. I could not figure out a way to send the AUX signal to the rear headphones and use a different audio source for the front. I am using my laptop to play movies and route the sound into the AUX input. I was hoping to just send the AUX signal to the headphones, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Does this work for anyone?
    ..."fyi Sony's Model MDR-IF0230 works in the Armada and Titan. I picked up a couple pair for around $20/ea with shipping on ebay. "...

Are you saying that the wireless transmitter is already included with the stereo? (I have the Bose system) All I need to get are the wireless headphones???

My kids have been plugging in their wired headphones in the back, but if the transmitter is already there, I would like to get a few pair of the wireless ones!
    yep, I have the Bose as well. If you have a sony video cam with night vision the transmitter will look like a light bulb looking through the camera.
  • firstgatewayfirstgateway Member Posts: 1
    i have my armada since dec. 31 2003 and having problem with the windwo as soon as i drove off the lot... there is this squeaky noise from both the driver side and passenger side door that the truck has been back in the dealer's at least once a month... this noise is not loud.. but it is loud enough for the driver to heard it constantly... and it gets worse at highway speed... anyone have something like this?

nissan cant fix it... not yet... this thing will be back for the sixth time... anyone having same problem?

also... cabin is like something is loose... every bump i hit... has this clunking noise... just sound like its not tie down... what gives? i got a LE model...
    yes!! same here. it has been in numerous times for the windows. had all regulators replaced, and all my issues have come back. i swear, the squeaking is JUST loud enough to drive me insane.
    So my Nissan dealer doesn't know. I called Bose, but they only supply the speakers as the radio portion is provided by Clarion. So, I'm trying Clarion and Nissan customer service. Let you know what I find out. Although I'm not sure how the aux ties into it yet.
    Do you have a sunroof? If so the clunking noise is likely the drain assembly, I have the same problem. It was broke when I first got it they replaced it, now though every good bump it bounces up and down...its even worse with the sunroof open. Reach up just above the shade when its slid back and feel the plastic channel that runs the length of the sunroof and you can lift it up a 1/4" or so. I've been planning on putting some foam tape under it but haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • soldaustinsoldaustin Member Posts: 91
    I have seen posts on here and posts on other forums. Basically it seems that whatever you plug in just doesn't have enough volume. I have tried with a cd/mp3 player and it is not loud enough for me to hear while driving down the road. Even with full volume on both. I thought maybe I had a problem but after reading on another forum, others trying to rig amplifiers, then I see it is just a factory defect. I had a sony in dash cd player I used to have in a vehicle. It has a plug in that said "Walkman". I would plug in a player and it worked great with the same volume as my regular radio. I wish I could get my money back for this system. It is not worth the money. Any ideas from anyone about the "Aux"? Anyone getting regular volume from it? The only reason I bought it was to be able to use a mp3 player and that is out now so I am stuck with something I can't use.Thanks for any help. Also I did go to the dealer yesterday for my rotors warping for the second time. They told me they would turn them and I told them that is unacceptable. They gave me the number to Nissan customer service and said I would have to call them because they would not install new rotors.
    I wired one of these into the aux jack and turned it way up and get acceptable volume levels now. Fairly easy and inexpensive fix at least now it is. When I got it is was regular price.
    http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=317
  • cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    From your description, it sounds like "impedance" mismatches. Impedance is the frequency-dependant resistance(measured in ohm). It is the similar interface between amplifier and loudspeakers (4 to 8 ohm). I would check the impedance range of the aux input and buy a stereo unit with output impedance that matches it. That way, your volume should be reasonable.

For example, if an amplifier has an output impedance of 8 to 16 ohm, and your hook it up with loudspeakers of 4 ohm impedance, you will get very low volume sound (am I right?). BTW, my Electrical Theory is pretty rusty now after 15 years in other field. I could be wrong about this.

I am not sure if this is the cause, just to throw in some guess for your guys to check.
  • vmccaulvmccaul Member Posts: 27
    I agree that the volume is pitiful if you plug the accessory directly into the AUX port. I have an Ipod and was able to buy Belkin charger which has an amplifier built in. It seems to boost the volume to an acceptable level. Don't know if they make chargers with amplifiers for other mp3 players, but you should do a search to find out. It is a cheap and easy solution.
  • se04se04 Member Posts: 1
    Try the headphone jack instead of the line out in any portable player, this should make the difference of the output volume. I tried and it works, now I can control the volume.
    OK so far Nite, Gecko and I have reported not being able to get the AUX to select on the rear controls. Could a few more people check theirs to verify its not just a faulty control unit please? If it does work do you have a factory DVD or not? A response will be appreciated. I'd call the dealership but I know I will be on the phone for an half and hour just to talk to someone and probably not get a call back.

On a secondary note I'm afraid I've fallen casualty to the resonance issue. My wife and daughter complained about a noise that was giving them headaches while I was out of town and they were "joy riding". Today I went across some washboards and there it was the dreaded fluttering sound I had hoped wouldn't show up. I have 1900 miles. I'll wait a month until I need a oil change and they've hopefully done a few more and request the TSB fix. Hopefully they'll do the dynamat thing for me or at least allow me to come in before they put it back together......
  • 04armadagalaxy04armadagalaxy Member Posts: 11
    The more I drive my Armada, the better the ride.

When was the last time you seen an unhappy Ford, Chevy, or Dodge truck owner? I see them almost everyday. They give my the "Let's Do This" look at almost every red light. I wait for them at the next light. Am I having fun? I have not had this much fun since owning my Mark VII.

I recently passed the 5000 mile mark, my only problem is a styroform like sqeak somewhere in the rear I hear only when it's very warm outside.(built 03/04) I added the factory fog lights, a dvd player, and replaced the stereo.

My plans are to have the sqeak resolved during my vacation, but the vehicle is GREAT! This is my third Nissan SUV.

It drives likes car, very good road manners, and great for long trips with the family.

My main complaints for Nissan:
    1> The sunroof option should be independent of the Leather Pkg.
    2> Vehicle lack trip computer
    3> Automatic Climate Control should be standard.
    4> Interior parts shuold be of higher quality and better fit

That said, I love my Armada.
  • scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    I'm currently in litigation with Nissan regarding my Armada. I'm not satisfied with there "offer" and my lawyer will be filing court papers soon. My question is this: Are the newer ones rattle,squeak,brake rotor problem, and resonance free??? I have seen some with build numbers in the 34000 range and am curious as to the problems being corrected so soon. I need to make up my mind if I just want out? Or if I should get a trade out. Thank you!!
  • klondike_x5klondike_x5 Member Posts: 33
    I don't think you will be happy with a newer model. You will just spend your time looking for problems. If you are unhappy walk away, it is unfortunate that you got a bad model. I currently have 5500 miles and have no problems. I say walk away and get something you will enjoy.
    I REALLY look forward to every drive in my ARMADA it relaxes the soul.
    Good Luck
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    Carmax in Baltimore has all of their Armadas at almost 2k under invoice. If you're looking for a deal, it can't get much better that this.
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    i doubt it actually is...whats the model/MSRP, and what are they selling it for exactly?
  • 04armadagalaxy04armadagalaxy Member Posts: 11
    Mine was built in March, my vehicle only has the rear sqeak, nothing else. I don't have the cracked console, brake, window, and other problems associated with some of the earlier build vehicles.

I wanted one of the first ones off the line, but the they were selling for sticker and I was looking for feedback from the new owners of the vehicle. I bought mine when I saw more positive feedback from newer owners.

The dealer I purchased mine from made a dealer swap for mine, the three original Armadas' they received from the factory was still on their lot in April. I drove all three and they rode BAD!

A dealer here (Baltimore, MD) is advertising $6,000.00 off! The first thing I would check if I looking at any Armada is the build date.

What may be helpful to this forum is for owners to post the "Build Date" of their vehicles and their comments. This information would be very helpful for persons interested in the Armada.
  • rshershe Member Posts: 236
    Mine was a 12/03 build date... No resonance or brake problems, but my center console screws have broken through and I am starting to notice a squeak in the passenger seat.. Goshn is just trying to cut every penny he can, by using the cheapest parts he can find. Even my service writer said the same thing. He said the headlight modules on the Maxima come from two different suppliers, since one was a little cheaper than the other. Just a word of advice to Nissan brass.. You will get a customer the 1st time with pizzazz and good looks, but you get a customer for life with good quality. And lose a customer for life with crap!! Don't get me wrong I love my Armada, but it pales in comparison in quality to the Sequoia and to the Pilot. I'm figuring I will keep my Armada until the next Sequoia redesign and trade it in then. Hopefully the SUV writeoff will still be in place and I'll write that one off too.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    Check it out yourself!

Carmax.com

Nissan/Armada/LE4WD/Baltimore/Washington DC Area,
    Whitemarsh is the dealer.

MSRP $47,070
    Invoice$42,568
    CARMAX $40,658

$2,000 under Invoice!

Stock # 2404790

Quoted 6/24/2004 at 1:35pm CDT
  • bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    ok...just curious. sometimes, if something seems too good to be true....