Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    In the past 2 years I've had my 2004 Armada I've put on 32k miles and of those 32k I've towed probably 28k of them.

My 2 trailers are:
    6000lb Race-Car Trailer
    5500lb Hi Performance Boat

The auto-leveling works great, just give it about 3-4 minutes of idle time when before you start driving to allow it to level it for you. I don't even notice the trailers on there and the towing hasn't effected my brakes after having the final upgrade done on the brakes by Nissan at 3k miles. This coming spring I'm upgrading my boat from a 22ft to a 33ft with a towing weight of 9000lbs triple axle trailer. I've actually towed the 33 before and it tows well on the Armada, not as well as the smaller boat or car trailer but not bad at all.

-mike
  • haropharop Member Posts: 59
    Thanks Mike,

Good to know your experience on Towing and Off-Roading.

One more thing I am interested is to know if the OEM tires would be OK on snow. I am sure I can get something better than OEM, but I live in Texas and don't want to get new tires just for some travel when I can get some snow or not.

-haro
    I used the OEM ones last winter and they weren't that good in the snow, however if you live in TX I wouldn't run out and replace them. I am in the process of actually purchasing tires for mine as they are shot. I'm getting the Bridgestone AT Revos for it. Was gonna get bigger BF Goodrich TKOs in a larger size, but since I'm going to be towing near the limit next year I don't want to get worse gearing so I'm going to stick with the stock size Revos.

-mike
    Just put on a new set of Bridgestone AT Revos in stock 18" size. AMAZING IMPROVEMENT even in the dry with them over the stockers even when they were new. These tires should have been the stock tires. I expect my milage may drop a hair but the grip is great. Can't wait for the first rain and snow to get here!

Next up is a front light bar with 2 or 4 Hella 4000s on it :)

-mike
  • shopinfulshopinful Member Posts: 47
    :) It is December and the brakes are still working great!! Before this last fix we would have already had problems again. I didn't believe it when they said it was in the electical signals for it didn't make sense....but here's hoping it continues!! Merry Christmas!
  • finnaticfinnatic Member Posts: 2
    Paisan: do you remember how many miles you got out of your Continental Tires...mine are badly worn at 20k....not sure if it's too much (light)off-road use or just not rotating enough.

Are the Bridgestones quieter?

Thanks! Daniel
    And the Conties weren't bald, but I was out of alignment on 1 front one and these tires sucked bad in the snow, and were pretty bad in the rain at this point.

The Bridgestones are about the same noise wise, ride is the same and I haven't driven in any snow or rain yet with them but I'll keep yah posted.

-Mike
    Just wanted to share with you guys my Driving Lights...

2-Hella 4000 Pencil Beams (2-2.5mile range)
    2-Hella 4000 Euro Beams (2500-2600ft range)

-Mike

• mrmechmrmech Member Posts: 6
    Just reading back and obviously can see the brake issues between complete failures to pulsation problems, but no one is stating the years of there Armada's that this is effecting. Is this still happening on the 06's and 07's Armada's as well??? Want to buy one and just want to make sure the brake failure issues are at least taken care of. Pulsation i can live with easily fixed with cross drilled rotors, but brake failures is another thing?? Looking for some feed back??

Coop
    Only the 04s. The Pulsing was undersized rotors and pads on the 04s and 05s. I've had my 04 updated and not an issue even after towing 9000lb trailers for a good portion of it's life. I did have problems with them warping before I upgraded them.

-mike
    Did you ever have the braking system completely fail? or the brake pedal go to the floor as I have been reading? Also what do you think about your Armada? How does it tow? even 9000lbs worth?? I will be towing 7200 lbs of travel trailer regularly so just curious if the Armada is up to the task?

Thanks
    Koop
    Since our last fix...our SUV has worked like a charm. This is after taking it in 3 times and being told it was fixed. I think Nissan finally realized that they would not be selling another SUV of any sort if they didn't get to the root of the problem. We had the first model so I feel very comfortable recommending later models now that the brake problems is finally fixed. We love our Armada...very roomy, very comfortable, nice ride. When we go on trips with our friends they always want us to drive for the comfort and room. Buy with confidence that this issue is I feel finally over :)
    You wouldn't happen to have any vibrations in your Armada? When i road tested an 07 loaded navi and all all i could feel is a vibration from 20mph and up in the seat of my pants, even in the second and third rows seats? Not sure if it is just this model we road tested, so were going back to road test another one once they PDI another for us to try. If no vibrations felt i will be buying one that's for sure. I went tonight to road test an 07 Suburban for the same size vehicle well almost a bit bigger but still,. This thing really needs and engine like the Armada. It felt heavy and sluggish even when floored. So that road test sold me alone on the Armada. Way nicer vehicle and a lot more power to have on tap especially when towing.

Thanks for every one's helps and advice.
    On the vibration, have them check the pressure, often times dealers over-inflate the tires so they don't flat spot while sitting on the lots. This can lead to vibrations.

I have no vibrations on mine after 36k miles and some heavy duty offroad excursions.

As for room, they are awsome, we regularly load up the race team which is 4 hefty guys and all our gear plus a 6,000lb race car trailer and head out. We do 75-85mph with the cruise control set up and down the mountain interstates, no issues. I also regularly tow a 6,000lb boat trailer up to the Adirondacks and no issues there either. At race events we usually put 6 hefty guys in there to run back to the hotel Fri/Sat night and everyone loves to ride in it and we aren't small folks.

Recently I did a 1000 mile treck with 25 subarus and was the support vehicle and the only guys who were able to keep up were the STis and Legacy GTs. :)

I towed my buddy's 9000+lb cigarette boat (Triple Axle) without issue a few times and am about to sell my boat and buy his 33ft cig boat with the tri-axle and will be towing that regularly this summer.

I'll put it this way, if I won the lottery tomorrow, I'd go get an 07 Armada loaded.

-Mike
    We've never pulled anything with our Armada but in normal driving we have not felt any vibration. Good Luck on your purchase. :shades:
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    We bought our 05 in Dec 04 and had brake problems at about 7K and then about 13K. After 2 new sets of rotors they finally got the right rotors on the 3rd try. They did actually tell me that it may or may not work after the first 2 services. Got about 45K miles on it now with no problems. Except for the occasional overhead rattle.
  • cmptrguy74cmptrguy74 Member Posts: 21
    I can't believe there's no talk about the 2008 Armada. Pictures & comments were released during Chicago Auto Show a couple weeks back. Interior looks MUCH better (IMO) than before... And unless pics are deceiving, it appears that the leather texture/quality may have increased closer to that of the Infinity version. And outside is a bit different (no more heavy chrome) and rear reminds me of Infinity version.

If it weren't for gas mileage, with these interior changes (my biggest complaint before), this would definitely be my next vehicle.

What are some opinions on the new designs?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Here ya go Mike. Maybe this will get something started here.

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2249

Bob
  • petro33petro33 Member Posts: 192
    OK.... I am in the market for a new suv. I have a '01 sequoia (133,000 miles Limited) and love it but I will be buying a new trailer and need to upgrade to a higher tow rating. I know the seq will have a new engine in it in '08 that will tow 9,000 + but I want to reconsider all vehicles. When you read consumer reports about the Armada they still give it lousy report on reliability. I always thought that was due to the brake problem that has now been fixed, so why the low rating?

The new seq will also be bigger than my '01 so I need to compare it to vehicles the same size?

My biggest criteria on purchasing a new vehicle is reliability. I'll pay for one that holds together rather than buy one at a lower price with a longer warrenty only to be going back to the dealer for constant repairs.

Any thoughts about the Armada that make it the best suv? I like leather, heated seats, power seats, navagition system, moon roof, and easy access to last row of seats ( I have a disabled son who likes to ride in the back all the time).
    45k miles on my truck. Pretty much flawless. I regularly tow 10,000lb cigarette boat trailer and a 6,000lb race car trailer. I push mine HARD and it's still working well.

I'm not sure what the new sequoia will have in terms of towing my guess is it will be low again around 7500. Toyota will likely be more reliable though than even my quite reliable 04 Armada.

-mike
  • haropharop Member Posts: 59
    Just wanted to post my observations during last several full tanks. Basically I did not see big difference between heavy foot driving vs. light foot driving. May be 10-15 miles difference for a full tank. But my "heavy foot" was not really "lead foot" and my light was not feather like. Averaging 14-15 MPG for 12 miles each way ride mostly on slow, stop and go type traffic highway. If anybody knows 75 in Dallas, from Plano to 635 and back.
    This is for 2006 LE 4x4.

-haro
  • troubleman1952troubleman1952 Member Posts: 2
    I PURCHASED A 2007 ARMADA WITH 17,000 MILES ON IT. I COULD HAVE GOTTEN IT CHEAPER, BUT I WANTED IT IN BLACK WITH SILVER TRIM. IT REALLY LOOKS IMPOSING, LIKE A BIG POWERFUL BRUTE. IT HAS POWER TO SPARE TO GET YOU OUT OF TROUBLE OR INTO TROUBLE DEPENDING ON HOW YOU DRIVE. PICKUP FOR A HEAVY VEHICLE IS EXCEPTIONAL. IT IS JIGGLY ON CITY STREETS FILLED WITH POTHOLES AND UNEVEN PAVEMENT, BUT YOU MUST EXPECT THAT FROM A TRUCK. ON THE HIGHWAY IT IS SMOOTH AS SILK AND A JOY TO JUST SET YOUR CRUISE CONTROL AT 80 AND ENJOY THE SOUND SYSTEM AND VIEW. THE SEATS ARE FIRM AND SUPPORTIVE. THE ONLY DRAWBACK BESIDES GAS MILAGE IS THAT IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU ADJUST ALL OF YOUR MIRRORS. THERE APPEARS TO BE SEVERAL BLIND SPOTS WHEN LOOKING OUT FOR OTHER VEHICLES ON THE ROAD.
  • pchera01pchera01 Member Posts: 8
    you post is pretty old, I just jpoined today
    when I test drove my Armada in 2005 Aug, it had a vibration and sales person told me to check with service dept next day. I bought it that night and went home and never seen dealer since then, I just adjusted the air in the tire and that was the problem. Because most sit in the lot for long time and doesn't work work well when you test drive it. back in 2004 when we test drove the Acura MDX, it had the same problems too
  • dpuma8dpuma8 Member Posts: 1
    I see that the invoice price for an 07 Armada is around $32k. I was offered a $6000 rebate making the final price almost $30k. So I am thinking that this sounds like a great deal but I am not so sure. Should I be taking the $6000 rebate and try for $26000? Or is the wrong logic?
    I take it that's a base Armada? Try to get as low as possible :)

-mike
  • mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    Anyone happen to have traded in their 06' Armada recently? I have an 2006 Armada SE (2WD) w/ only 13,000 miles on it. I'm in the military and we currently have two vehicles...I have a new assignment where I can only bring one and I don't want to leave 1 car just sitting for 2-3 years while I'm gone.

Considering trading in or selling the Mada but I have to do something pretty quick, so it looks like I may trade both our vehicles (07 Honda Fit Sport) and the Mada towards one new car (08/07?)...

Any suggestions... wonder what Carmax will give me for my Aramda :)
  • 07armadag1007armadag10 Member Posts: 2
    Petro, my wife and I started looking at all full size SUVs in 2004. I wanted to get a new truck and it was going to be my 10 year truck. We looked at everyone, even Ford. Sorry, not a fan. I wanted something that would hold together, would tow anything I could throw at it, comfort in the front seats were and obvious must, but my father has trouble getting into the back seats of vehicles. My wife and I would drive a truck and find everything that we HATE about it. Too many times people get caught up with that "new car" feeling, and love everything until they own it. We had decided on a Suburban. We had looked at the Titan/Armada at the Tx State fair in 04, it sucked, it just seemed flimsy, but that was a 5-minute look. I got married inn October 06 and we had an Armada as a rental. We bought an 07 Armada because we loved it so much in Feb. In January, I was diagnosed with MS, and I wouldn't think about any other truck. Here's what I liked about the truck:

Helper handles make ingress/egress in the front and back easy; standard running boards; wheelbase is longer than Tahoe, Exped, Seq, but shorter than Suburban; space between the back of the front seat, and the front of the back seat is superior to all; the turning radius is great; the power lift and close tailgate is smooth and quiet.

I could go on for a long time. Just drive it, even rent one for a week, you'll love it.
    As far as the consumer reports reliability rating, they will tell you that their data is based off the 2004/2005 model years. They have not updated their data, visit www.clubarmada.com and talk to the people that own it, that's what helped me make my choice.
    :shades:
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I'm currently in the market for a new SUV. I currently own a '02 Denali and a '05 Titan. My short list consists of '08 Yukon Denali, '08 QX56, and a '08 Nissan Armada. I've somewhat ruled out the Armada and leaning towards the QX56. I probably could get a better deal on the Armada than the Q and was wondering if you had compared the two before purchasing the Armada?
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Obyone, I've been looking at both the Armada and Q and you can get huge discounts on both (and just about any other full size SUV) right now as sales of full size SUV's have gone off the cliff. Drive them back to back...I think you will notice that the Q is MUCH quieter, seems to have much more soundproofing. One other thing I noticed which I think is really odd, and that you may be interested in if you plan to do any heavy towing...the Q brochure and website says the Q had a trans temp gauge, but it doesn't. But yet the Armada does...makes no sense. I sent an email to Infiniti weeks ago asking about the apparent error in the brochure and on their website, and they never even responded (other than to acknowledge the email).
  • troubleman1952troubleman1952 Member Posts: 2
    I PURCHASED A BLACK METALLIC ARMADA IN JUNE. IT IS A BEAST AND ALWAYS TURNS HEADS. FIRST OFF, IT IS ROOMY IN THE DRIVERS SEAT AS WELL AS THE SECOND ROW OF SEATS. WHEN I NEED POWER TO GET IN AND OUT OF TRAFFIC IT RESPONDS IMMEDIATELY. I DON'T REALLY CARE ABOUT THE GAS MILEAGE. BECAUSE THE OTHER SUVS ARE ABOUT THE SAME. NISSAN MAKES A DAMN GOOD VEHICLE WITH DISTINCTIVE LOOKS AND A LION UNDER THE HOOD!!! R. TAYLOR
    I guess I'll go test drive both as the Infinity dealer also has a Nissan dealership couple miles away.
    Here is the thing of the QX56 v. Armada...

The QX56 doesn't have low range or 2wd modes, only "AWD" mode. So if you plan on doing towing of say a boat up a ramp like I do (10,000lb cigarette-style boat) the 4-Low is definitely useful.

On a side note, I just was at a dealer last night and compared an 08 to my 04 and what a difference 4 years makes. My 04 LE is great but the 08 is amazing. Fit/finish/etc on the interior is amazing. The Bumpers actually meet the body whereas the 04-07 had a big gap in it. The key-less operation is pretty slick, the new dash is great and the power 3rd row seats are pretty darn cool too.

The 20" rims with the Michelen tires are also a nice upgrade from the 18" with Conti-craps on them I had in 04.

-mike
  • dsiah12345dsiah12345 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 with 31,000 miles.. bought at dealer..said it was leased....i drove a Yukon for 3 years and loved it...can't afford the 07's anyhow....the armada is 4X4 and i noticed that after driving it around town or either on the high way..after about 10-15 min. of being on the road..when i do a complete stop and start to go again...the engine feels like it's pulling and it makes a loud roaring noise....it also made that noise in reverse yesterday coming out of the driveway..which is slightly inclined..however i am really noticing it more and more and i'm getting worried..took into the dealer and nada..nothing..however..i know this noise is not normal..anyone else have this noise and pulling i'm talking about? It sounds like it's stuck in another gear..but not first gear....
    hmm a pre-leased vehicle? Probably a bad trans. Everyone I know who has "leased" a vehicle basically treats em like trash since it's not their car in the end.

I'd start with a trans flush and fill and take it from there.

-mike
  • dsiah12345dsiah12345 Member Posts: 2
    it's still under warranty, i bought it a month ago, should i take it to the dealer and have them do this..should they be responsible for the bill?
    Mike, the '08 QX56 does have the same transfer case switch as the Armada. It has the 2WD position as well as 4LO. The "auto" position is not really AWD. Under normal driving condtions all the torque goes the the rear axle. When a sensor determines that the rear axle is spinning significantly faster than the rear axle, it sends torgue to both axles. An AWD system is ALWAYS sending torque to both axles. The transfer case isn't much different than the one on my wife's '96 Explorer. Works great, and you rarely can detect when it starts or stops sending torque to the front axle.
    That must be new on the 08 QX56, cause I know the 04-07 had only one mode of AWD. I believe the initial torque split is about 20/80 with a rear bias because I've tested it on snow/ice/sand/mud/wet boat ramps and the auto-mode definitely puts some torque to those front wheels before slippage occurs, probably very similar to the bosch system used on the Isuzus for years.

-mike
    "When a sensor determines that the rear axle is spinning significantly faster than the rear axle, it sends torgue to both axles. "

What exactly does that mean?
    Under normal conditions all the engine power is sent to the rear wheels. When the rear wheels lose traction, for example, in snow or mud, power is also sent to the front wheels. You could say that the truck automatically switches from 2 to 4 wheel drive when needed. The switch is made so fast that you rarely notice the rear tires slipped before the front axle engaged. Some transfer cases make the switch mechanically (I think the Armada/QX56 is an example of that), and some electronically (I think the Acura MDX is an example, although if I'm correct I think the MDX normally sends power to the front rears and adds the rear wheels when it detects the fronts losing traction, but the idea is the same).
    I'm pretty sure though that the Armada/QX and several others actually put a small percent to the non-main axle to pro-actively prevent slippage.

-mike
  • kwchildskwchilds Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone come into issues with the 2008 model with the back making rattling noises and the third row seat making a horrible screaching noise when lowered and raised?
  • centerice20centerice20 Member Posts: 5
    Anyone know where I can get a bug deflector for an 08 Armada, everyone seems to only have up to 07 and I'm not sure if this will fit and 08??
    I would think that it would since the Armada hasn't changed since its introduction in 2004. In fact most front end pieces are the same as the Titan.
    08 is a totally redesigned front and rear ends. 04-07 are the same but 08 the Armada is different, different front fenders, hood, grill, bumpers, lights, as well as different rear bumper, and roof racks.

-mike
    Really? My bad. I better take a closer look as I couldn't see any difference.
    Yeah it's pretty suttle, but the bumpers are actually attached to the body now, the headlights have a different cut and therefore the hood also gets a different angle (that's why a bug-deflector from an 04-07 won't work on an 08)

-mike
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks consumers who drive large SUVs. Please send your daytime contact information to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, December 14, 2007.
  • londinelondine Member Posts: 32
    The missus is short -- 5'.

We're looking to buy an '07 SE. Can anyone in her height range comment on how the in-and-out has worked out for you? :confuse:

Thanks!
    I am shorter too and with the large step, it is no problem. The seat will auto set for two positions so one is set for me and one for my husband. Very comfortable ride for both!! :)
  • londinelondine Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the feedback. We wanted to hear from someone who actually spent some time with the vehicle.