Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Armada

Comments

• Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    you: "Dislikes:
    - Price, for a basic model, $36K is too high. Even discounted to 33K, too much. Being an XP fan I'll take an EB at 33K instead."

the basest of the base eddie bauer expeditions is a $42k truck...where do you get $33k?
  • Options
    berisimusberisimus Member Posts: 31
    Am I mistaken or has Nissan mysteriously withdrawn the XM radio option from the list of available accessories? It used to be listed on the website as a $400.00 option with the note, "late availability". I test drove a smoke 4x2 LE with the Technology Package today and asked the sales person about XM. He says all the Armadas are pre-wired for it (according to the XM salesman he spoke to earlier in the day). He believes that the $400.00 goes to purchase the antennae and for installation. No parts have been delivered yet. A little frustrating as I want this option. Also, I would like to actually see a picture of the cargo tray. The web site has no pics and the dealers have little to none in way of on hand accessories. Anyone know what's going on with XM?
  • Options
    pfarmadapfarmada Member Posts: 39
    The rate sheet I have shows the code A96 as Sat Radio XM, Late Availability, $400 and code A97 as Sat Radio Sirius, Late Avalability, $400. I doubt they can them. As for the cargo tray, it is a black fairly soft rubber mat with a small lip around it maybe 1/2" high.The length covers the width of the back and the width covers up to the 3rd seats when up.It has a Nissan emblem on it.It may contain a very small spill.
  • Options
    davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    I hate to not be talking about the Armada on this board but since you asked. A year ago we got an '03 XP Eddie B, 4x2, 5.4L, electric third row and side airbags for $33.5K. The sticker was $39,540, got it down to $34.5 and at that time there was a $1K rebate, now it's $4K off of an '03 so if I waited it would have been $3K less at $30.5K. I don't see any rebate yet for '04's. Most EB's are loaded with elec seats, DVD & sunroof, driving the price well above $40. All EB's have leather, premium sound, two-tone paint, not stripped by any means. Comparable LE Armadas appear to list in the mid $40's. The point I was trying to make is because I'd pay premium for a first year Armada (like I thought I would for a newly redesigned Expedition but didn't), I'd still pick the Ford as a proven rig, probably a new '03 even now. I do like the Armada, just not enthralled with it.
  • Options
    sandeep5sandeep5 Member Posts: 15
    I checked out the Armada yesterday. It's size was very impressive. But on the inside it seemed "cold, plasticky and spartan" I saw the SE. Maybe the LE is more luxurious and inviting. If not I may have to pay the infinity dealer a visit in afew months.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Why won't you accept that the american full size trucks are much less expensive. I can pick up a 4x2 '03 EB like davant desrcibes for about 29k an 04 would run about 2-3k more. A loaded 03 tahoe 4x2 LT is a tad over 30. The only full size truck that costs as much as the Armada is the seqouia and those are going for invoice or a couple hundred over. Nissan will have a hard time moving these with no discounts when the competition is heavily discounted. Sure they will get full boat for a while but just like the murano, maxima and now the 350z coupe you can get them substantially under sticker.
  • Options
    popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 50
    Lot's of posts about test drives, 'plasticky' interiors, and how wonderful the latest ford products are...but is anybody BUYING the aramada? Are dealers open to negotiating, or is it MSRP+? I've contacted a couple of fleet dept's here in the Phoenix area and they've indicated I can expect to pay MSRP. Whether they'd ever say anything different, I don't know. I'm trying to 'edumacate' myself.
    My 2 cents....while I haven't driven the armada yet, I did look it over and love it. I love the 'plasticky' interior, as I've got 3 young kids, and it'll all soon be covered with jelly, candy bars and various science experiments anyway.
  • Options
    corymscoryms Member Posts: 14
    I caught the new commercial for the Armada last night during MNF. I have to say that it's one of the worst commercials I have seen for a new car in some time.

Depicting a Nordic family gearing up for a kayaking trip is not my idea of good marketing to the American public. Additionally, the shots and angles of the vehicle made it look like a mini-van on steroids.

This spot is definitely not going to attract new buyers. This is good for me because it should drive Nissan to more competitive pricing. What do you guys think?
  • Options
    popinjay, although I haven't delved into serious negotiation with any dealers, I'm fairly certain that they will go below MSRP (one dealer has offered $500 below MSRP off of the bat). I haven't seen any ADM and don't think they'll come around.

If you think about it, this is not a sporty "I want it" vehicle. It's a family SUV and families are more careful on how they spend their money than singles purchasing the 350z. Nissan will have to be a bit more competitive if they want to move these trucks.
  • Options
    peter_in_atlpeter_in_atl Member Posts: 42
    Why do people continue to make price arguments comparing different model years? Why follow it up by saying the '04 whatever is only a a few K more than the 03 when the 04 pricing information is available?
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Carmax in DC/Baltimore area is already at $742 under MSRP and they have 3 in stock.
  • Options
    nomariannomarian Member Posts: 19
    Okay,

I have been reading both this board and the Sequoia board for about two months now. I read about all the likes and disklikes of both vehicles, so I can see what to look for on both. I then went to test drive an 2004 Sequoia 2WD Limited and a 2004 Armada LE.

I do want to note that I am a fan of Nissan products. I owned a 2001 Pathfinder (traded in) and a 2002 Maxima (love this car). The reason for the larger vehicle was the space requirements for my family.

After my test drives, and much more time spent looking at both very closely, I finally decided on the Sequoia. I must say that I am very happy with my decision, but here is why I choose it.

1.) Sequoia definitely has better interior. They both have cheap plastic, but the leather and other items seem much better to me on the Sequoia.
    2.) Headroom. I am not a tall person, only 5'8", and I didn't like how close my head came to the ceiling in the 3rd row of the Armada. The Armada has more legroom, but not headroom.
    3.) Reputation. The Sequoia is a proven product and the Armada is not as of yet. Overall, I felt the quality of the Sequoia is better, but time will tell.

Even though the Armada has more technological gadgets such as DVD Navigation, I don't ever use it, so it was not a big deal to me. I had considered an Expediation as well due to the price. Pricing on the Expedition EB loaded with everthing was about $36K. I finally settled on the Sequoia for a bit more.

I only post this to allow others to make informed decisions before spending that kind of money. If you think the Armada better suits your needs, then more power to you. Read the boards and then go make the decision for yourself. Opinions help, but the most important opinion is your own.
  • Options
    bowke28bowke28 Member Posts: 2,185
    thank you, that was my next point...lets compare apples to apples here.

davant...you need to check your information before posting on a site like this. a 2004 armada LE 4x2 with upgrade package goes for $39150. this is almost $3500 less than a comparable expedition. (i think i did this comparison earlier with links) if the ford dealer sold it for invoice, then more power to you...i guess they know what their vehicle is worth.

oh, BTW...dont try to put it off on me being off-topic. you brought your Expy into this yourself.
  • Options
    rshershe Member Posts: 236
    I think you are missing the point as well. The Ford (Expy) and the Toyota (Sequoia) dealers are willing to deal, even on the 04's. I know since I have a dealer willing to sell me a loaded 04 Sequoia Limited and $1000 over invoice or $43,600. The Nissan dealers are hyping the Armada and trying to get MSRP ($46,000 for a loaded LE) or better. So in order to compare pricing you have to look at the TMV pricing on the vehicles, at least. Yes the Armada has a perceived demand at this point. Thats not hard to create, just send only 2 vehicles every 2 weeks to dealers. But once those people that have to have the 1st one on their block and are willing to pay MSRP have dried up the dealers will start to deal...

BTW-I have been researching Armadas and have a Carmax dealership $1500 off of list, but at the same time I have other dealers (in the same area) telling me they won't sell for less than MSRP.
  • Options
    bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Why do you keep trying to tell everyone what they should be paying for their vehichle. Dealers are discounting, that is reality. And, yes the Expy Davant talked about can be had for $36000 and some change. I for one am tired of your constant putdowns toward potential Nissan customers. I am sure Nissan Management would not approve. As I have stated and others have stated, you are helping drive up internet car sales.
  • Options
    dodger22dodger22 Member Posts: 9
    Evening. Just wanted to relay my experience w/buying an Armada yesterday. Went to one dealer to look, found that they were selling an LE loaded for full sticker. I went through Edmunds for a referral and found a local Nissan dealer. I received an e-mail from the Fleet Mgr (internet dept) and his first and only offer was $500 over invoice. Smoke 4x4, Tech pkg, DVD rear pkg, rear splash guards, rear cargo mat, 2nd row bucket seats (free) for $42333 + $500 over. I watched other buyers paying full sticker through the sales dept. I agree the leather isn't as nice as the Sequoia, EB etc, but after driving all above, Armada all the way. Doesn't matter about what an EB can be bought for. If you like Ford, get the EB. If you want something different, and it has to be Nissan or Toyota, don't discount the Armada leather for the ride (awsome handling). For me, I tested the X5, GX470, Sequoia, and Volvo. Armada and GX470 were my top two picks. As much as I was looking fwd to the Sequoia, the handling, power, and spacious interior didn't come close to the Armada. Hence, for $500 over, I couldn't pass it up. Thank you for your forum. I've been reading it for some time, and appreciate everything I've learned. Just wanted to throw this out there so as to quell the MSRP sticker only purchase. Costco didn't even have it in their program yet.
  • Options
    nitemasknitemask Member Posts: 33
    Pricing is still the product of supply and demand. In my area, I can get 100 above invoice right now. Within 30 miles of where I'm living now, there are 25 Armadas on lots. More coming in. I wish I could buy mine now, but have to wait until December otherwise I'd already be driving one.
  • Options
    Are you anywhere near the DC area.. Even within a 100 miles, if so let me know where you bought yours or found those prices and I will drive there...I know you can't mention the dealership, but town and state would be just fine.

Thanks
  • Options
    nitemasknitemask Member Posts: 33
    I live in Fairfax County. Can't say where I found those prices, but they are where we live.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Finally saw the Armada. I like everything about it except that disjointed dip behind the passenger window. What was Nissan thinking about here? Pretty much wrecked and otherwise nice looking rig IMO. The truck would be a bigger seller if they fixed that up ASAP.
  • Options
    dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    If everyone simply bought on price we'd all be driving Kia's and hyundia's. To me it doesn't really matter what the price difference is between different vehicles, I'm going to buy what I want and fits my needs the best within a certain price range. I currently have an 01 Pathfinder LE that I am very happy with. I need more cargo/towing capacity. I haven't really looked at an Armada yet but I've been trying to read all I can about it. I have looked the Expe/Tahoes and am not all that impressed. I do think the Expe has a well laid out and useful interior, but my experiences with the ford 5.4 is that it's not enough for the Expe's weight, let alone adding people, cargo, and a 4500lb boat in tow (I won't mention what I think of Ford/Gm quality due to bad experiences). I really like Nissan's powertrain's and I think that is where they currently have a leg up on the competition. The 3.5 6 in the pathfinder just rocks, it pulls my boat more like a v8 than a v6. I can only imagine what towing my boat behind the armada would be like. When/if Ford puts the new 3v 5.4 300hp triton in the Expe it might be more interesting, but I generally buy vehicles that the masses do not, I don't like seeing myself coming and going.
  • Options
    I will not go into further detail right now as I am going to see how Nissan Corporation Handles this problem. I'll keep everyone posted.
  • Options
    I'm days away from purchasing one and would really appreciate it if you could enlighten us on the defects that you found. Are they major/minor repairable/structural?

Thanks.
  • Options
    coryms, Let me just say I have owned many autos and this is the worst Quality Control I have ever witnessed. The dealer and Nissan have hung me out to dry so far.
  • Options
    What a BullS**t post. If you're not going to say what you found, why bother?
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I will not go into further detail right now as I am going to see how the poster handles this problem. I'll keep everyone posted. ;-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    PeterinAtl don't blow a blood vessel or anything!
    I am giving Nissan time to respond. The story will all come out in due time and I am hoping it will have a good ending.
  • Options
    Sorry, Pfarm, I have to agree with Peter. If you've discovered a serious problem with the vehicle why bother saying that here if you aren't going to give even the slightest hint about what the problem is?

tidester, host
  • Options
    It seems like the Edmunds 'host' would remain neutral. Also, where did you find the word serious in my post?
  • Options
    It seems like the Edmunds 'host' would remain neutral.

Agreement with an observation is not taking sides.

Also, where did you find the word serious in my post?

If you are attempting to involve Nissan Corporate as you claim then it must be serious. Please tell me you wouldn't involve them if it were a trivial or frivolous matter.

The words that I didn't find in your post were the ones describing the problem.

tidester, host
  • Options
    of pfarmada, he has been the biggest advocate of the Armada on this board. When I read his "defect" post I took it as fact and am willing to wait and see. If it were an unfamiliar name posting about defects in the new vehicle then I would take them with a grain of salt. However, I understand his situation.

Regardless of the level of detail, I appreciate the heads up and will give my vehicle a more thorough look over when I purchase regardless of whether or not I hear more about these defects.
  • Options
    None is necessary - no one is under attack. We're just wondering what the problem is.

tidester, host
  • Options
    I have involved Nissan Corporation and am giving them the benefit of the doubt before I go into all the details on posting the nature of the defects.If I don't get any respect for that, then so be it. I realize that people are curious by nature and I'm sure this is frustrating to potential buyers. The words serious, trivial, & frivilous came from your posts not mine. I have no quarrel with you or peterinatl.
  • Options
    aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    You can go to Nissan's website to the dealer locater, plug in Fairfax, VA and select 100 mile radius and you'll get 47 dealers within 100 miles. That will include all of northern VA plus PG, Montgomery, Howard, and Baltimore. They also have links to the dealer websites. If you have the time just hit the web and the phones. Also I believe you can recommend dealerships here just not individual sales people. The hosts will correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    The problem with the unit and how Nissan handles the problem are two separate issues... The problem has occurred so let us in.. Then you can tell us later how Nissan handled it.. I am currently looking at these vehicles and would love to know if there is a a particular issue I should be looking out for.
  • Options
    Wasn't sure if you could mention dealerships here or not.... I would just love to know where someone is selling these $500 over invoice.. I have made offers of $1800 over invoice and the dealerships won't even respond. Depending on what pfarmadas problem is though, I might take another look at the Sequoia... Looked at both again today and I must say the Sequoia is a much classier looking vehicle on the inside.. Just something as simple as the stereo controls on the steering wheel.. They are flush and integrated with the steering wheel on the Sequoia. Whereas on the Armada they look like an afterthought that was glued on to the face of the steering wheel... Can't help but love the other bells and whistles that the Armada has though...
  • Options
    I'm taking another look at the Sequoia as well after dealing with Nissan salesmen who won't even enter into negotiation.

I like the exterior of the Sequoia but don't care for the dash styling. The Armada is much more my style all around.

Considering that this is a new, unknown vehicle, the dealers should be willing to deal. Instead they think this vehicle is going to be hot, which it is clearling not turning out to be.

A major thing that is killing it is the stupid name. I just realized that the "bug eating" commercial that I've seen a hundred times is for an Armada. Because they say it's a Pathfinder, I never gave attention to it. I wouldn't buy a Pathfinder because I'm in the full size market.

If I'm able to find a decent deal on an Armada I'll buy but if not, I'll be perfectly happy in the Sequoia or even an Expedition.
  • Options
    aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I looked at both on the same day. The Armada is huge. I didn't mind some of the stuff that others are picky about. The only reservation to buying now (besides paying retail) is the Sequoia is due for a replacement. Maybe 2005, but no one seems to really know for sure. I'd like to see that comparison. I'm sure Nissan will fix a few cosmetic issues for the 2nd model year.
  • Options
    You may mention the name of a dealership but NOT the names of salespeople, email addresses, telephone numbers and other contact information.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Tidester said you can mention the dealership....
  • Options
    fsvfsv Member Posts: 196
    this sick Nissan dealer on R22 in NJ wants + US$ 7,500 over MSRP for ANY Armada, this way making the most expensive cars cost OVER US$ 50,000.
  • Options
    ronshanronshan Member Posts: 20
    Pfarmada, what gives? Did Nissan give you a great deal on your new rig in exchange for your vow of silence should problems arise? There are many potential consumers that use this forum as a tool to assist them in making a decision on how to spend their hard earned dollars. To post that you are aware of a problem but will not disclose it until Nissan addresses the issue is, well, rather an ignorant post. Additionally, you are not doing Nissan any favors. I am confident that there is someone on this board that was swaying between a Sequoia and an Armada and needs their ride by this weekend. Toyota thanks you (are you affiliated with a Toyota dealer- - if so, I withdraw my ignorant post comment and replace it with brilliant?). I have concluded, I believe correctly, that you are involved in the performing arts and have made this forum your new stage. This audience member, however, could care less about your premiere (I have a feeling it will bomb when you disclose that your floor mats were installed improperly). If it is a more significant problem, I hope you feel good about the people that make an uninformed decision and buy the "defective" Armada (misery loves company). Best of luck with your issues.
  • Options
    You said(and I quote) "this is the worst Quality Control I have ever witnessed".

I'm sorry, but that post comes across as a serious issue. So serious, that you have taken it above the dealership level and escalated to Nissan Corporate. Now, if this is only a minor problem, why would you say what you did? Are we talking about floor mats or the gear ratio being mismarked like the Durango of a couple of years ago?
  • Options
    Why all the fabricated stories people? I went to Nissan Corporation because in my opinion the dealer refused to resolve the problem in a manner that was satisfactory to me. I'm trying to settle with Nissan Corporation and then on to an Attorney. If you are a potential buyer of an Armada all I can recommend is that you look closely at your bodywork including the paint and the inside of your doorframes. You can check your mats for ronshan if you want.Ha!
  • Options
    auto9999auto9999 Member Posts: 86
    First all thanks to you pfarmada for letting us know about your findings about your Armada. It is premature to judge anything about this reported defect and hopefully we will know about it as Host wisely suggested.

Talking about reporting to the manufacturer, bringing the matter to the manufacturer does not necessarily mean the seriousness of the issue. Many years ago I called a manufacturer for a rattling noise of my new car when the dealer could not solve it. The manufacturer was known for the high reliability and quality of their vehicles, and I was expecting my vehicle to be up to that standard. When our expectations are high on the vehicles and on the manufacturer, and Armada is not a cheap purchase, we naturally become very keen on our demand.
  • Options
    dwgutwirdwgutwir Member Posts: 132
    Would this NJ dealer on Rte 22 be the one in

Somerville
    N. Plainfield
    or Springfield?
  • Options
    Let us stop criticizing or even sounding like criticizing pfarmada as he (or she) is kind enough to let us know about what happened to his brand-new Pathfinder Armada. Let us be reminded that pfarmada used the word "Quality Control" in his reporting instead of "Safety hazard" or "Mechanical troubles". I feel some readers are over-reacting to pfarmada's comments.
  • Options
    Why not just post "I had a problem with...(specific problem)" Instead of saying "there are defects but I won't tell you what they are."?
  • Options
    I do not know why, dear Peter.
  • Options
    ksloan77ksloan77 Member Posts: 28
    Hey just bought an armada and just thought i would let everyone know that you can buy one below msrp. i paid $1,500 above invoice for mine. bought an le max-daddy loaded. curious about the one guy that says his has a defect...anyone know what it was?