Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Armada

Comments

• jeff186jeff186 Member Posts: 95
    Man, half a profile photo about the beltline! Sigh...the NY Auto Show is less than two weeks away. I read somewhere that the Armada will go on sale around October, 2-3 months ahead of the Titan pickup.
    Can this topic also be referenced in the Nissan section, please?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Do you mean it should be listed in the "Nissan Discussions By Model" display on the main Town Hall page?

I guess it's done that way because it's linked to existing models, and the Armada falls through the cracks since it's a "future vehicle." Sometimes the names on future models change and sometimes they don't happen at all, so I guess that's why it's not in that list. It does show up when you click on "Nissan Related" and "Display All Nissan Discussions."

Good point though - I'll mention it to management and let them know people may be missing some good discussions this way.

If you mean something else, let me know.

Steve, Host
    "Nissan, long an also-ran to Honda and Toyota, is on a roll with its bold new approach to car style"

Comeback, by Design (MSNBC)

Steve, Host
    I think a lot of folks are missing this discussion. And once the official unveiling of this vehicle this week, I think the level of interest will spike. A distinct "Pathfinder Armada" topic under Nissan models would be a boon to forum dialogue. My thanks.
  • johnvjohnv Member Posts: 40
    Thanks for the notice!

-j (TH Developer)
    Tomorrow, Nissan fires its broadside against the Big 3 with the unveiling of the Pathfinder Armada. Hope we get to see lots of pics, finally.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    The Nissan Titan threads also need to be indexed too.

Bob
  • bob64gtobob64gto Member Posts: 4
    Go to Nissanmotors.com to see pictures, specs and more. The vehicle looks great but the mileage ratings and cargo specs are missing. Was hoping for a little longer than the 206.9 length to increase the amount of cargo space behind the third seat.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    I was expecting more like Nissan Patrol. I think this is the worst design Nissan has come up with it.It looks like two pieces added together. I guess I will wait for new redesign pathfinder. I hope Nissan doesn't damage their design like the toyota did for 4runner.
    "The curved roofline and aggressive front end on the Armada should make it stand out from the pack"

Latest designs 'stand out' from pack (Jackson Clarion Ledger)

We have pics too in case you missed them earlier.

(Bob, if you saw the Quest, please pop over to Vans and give a report - thanks!)

Steve, Host
  • artdechoartdecho Member Posts: 337
    First off, let me just say that I love the Titan.
    If I was in the market for full-size pickup, this would be the one. The Pathfinder Armada? It's not working for me yet, though maybe I need to see a few more pix from some different angles, or maybe it looks better in person. Right now, it looks like they welded a Durango onto the back of a Titan. The disjointed roof rack only furthers the impression of the "2 trucks in 1" look, as do the different front and rear door handles (I know, the Pathfinder had them, but it doesn't mean they were a good idea). Anyway, mechanically and interior-wise, they've probably got a winner...just don't know about the "look" yet.
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    I like all three upcoming trucks. Looks like any will be a good choice. I'm leaning towards the titan crew cab. If only someone would offer six passenger seating and leather interior in the truck. The Armada will be my choice only if Nissan takes the high road and doesn't price the thing well north of 40k. I think it will blow the Toyota Sequoia out of the water if they keep the price competitive
    Overall I liked it a lot, but it's not perfect. In fact there are a couple of things I'm really disappointed in and/or concerned about:

• While it has a great fold-way 3rd row seat, the seat is NOT a split-fold. This a major mistake on Nissan' part. It is, however, a relatively easy fix, but there's no excuse for Nissan not to offer this feature from the git-go.

• No word yet as to whether it has full-time 4WD capability. The teaser brochure (and Nissan reps) offered no insight on this. If it doesn't, this would be another major miscalculation on Nissan's part. There's absolutely no excuse for a $40+K SUV not to have this feature, especially since most customers will be cross-shopping it with the Sequoia, Land Cruiser, Expedition and Suburban; all of which offer this feature. Like I said, "no word yet," but I would think if it did have this feature, Nissan would be promoting it.

Other than that, I loved the vehicle. Size-wise, it falls right in between the Expedition (119" wheelbase) and the Suburban (130" wheelbase) with a 123" wheelbase. I really liked the looks. Like the Expedition, it has a IRS—yet can tow 9100 pounds.

Bob
  • yanks7533yanks7533 Member Posts: 4
    i saw it today at the new york show
    wow
    much better looking than in pictures
    bold features
    sticks out like the escalade or h2 with styling
    nicest lookin full size suv by far, from what nissan is saying it sounds like it will be more refined than any full sizer out ther

and YES THERE IS FULL TIME 4WD i saw it on the nissan website

the interior compares to luxery brand vehicles
    nissan has made another vehicle that has everythign it should to compete with the competition...
    << and YES THERE IS FULL TIME 4WD i saw it on the nissan website >>

Offer a split-fold 3rd-row rear seat, and it would be perfect!

Bob
    I wonder if Nissan has any plans to offer a diesel or Hybrid in either the Armada or Titan? I believe Toyota has plans to offer a Hybrid in every one of their vehicle lines within a few years.

Bob
    Fortune had a recent short blurb that Nissan may buy some hybrid components from Toyota. Otherwise, it seems like they have concentrated on getting the gas engine emissions down.

Steve, Host
  • jschoberjschober Member Posts: 18
    My wife is concerned about the seat fabric!? Did anyone in NY happen to get an explanation. I think it's pretty great for water and snow sports myself, where leather can be a problem. I bet the mileage will be around 20 hwy, but we'll see.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Looking at the roofline of the Armada, I thought I'd seen it before. I pulled out my book on American Motors, and there was the Armada's design ancestor - the 1956-62 Rambler/Ambassador station wagons. I don't have a photo to scan, but the roofline of the Ramblers curved slightly over the front and rear doors before flattening over the cargo area. Just like the Armada roofline. The Ramblers even featured a reverse slant C-pillar and a relatively upright tailgate window - just like the Armada.

Maybe Nissan's corporate savior - Renault - cribbed a few old blueprints when it owned a controlling interest in AMC during the 1980s.
    Something like this?

Steve, Host
  • bob64gtobob64gto Member Posts: 4
    To see detailed information on the Armada go to www.nissannews.com click on Armada picture then find and click on the Armada product guide.

Can you believe the cargo specs, there is only 19.5 cu behind the 3rd seat. That's smaller than Sequoia's 27.8 & Envoy's 22.3. What happened to a happy medium between Yukon XL 47.5 and the Sequoia. With a 3rd row that doesn't split this is a major blunder by Nissan. Makes everyone need a cartop carrier that has more than 2 kids.
  • rad_docrad_doc Member Posts: 1

--> Please tell me that it runs on REGULAR gas! It'd be painful to fill that thirsty 29-gallon tank with Premium.

--> A torquey TurboDiesel (as in VW's V-10 Touareg) would be a welcome addition.

--> Ditto to everyone's comments about the split/folding rear seat, which is remarkably handy in the wife's Navigator.

--> When does the Infiniti luxury version debut?
  • califjohncalifjohn Member Posts: 101
    to look at instead of the artist's conception. I will reserve my final opinion until I see one in the metal but IMHO it appears quite promising. Of course I thought that about the XC-90 until I sat in one too. I like the overall Armada concept,especially the fold down third row (no split back doesn't bother me all that much). I really like the strong engine, and overall size. The Infinity version should be interesting too. Now the bar is raised for the Sequoia (no fold down 3rd row, weak engine) and the GM twins (no fold down 3rd row), and Ford Expy (weak engines) so it will be interesting to see how they react. All of this benefits the consumer with a plethora of products and I think that's great.
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    Yes, that's the one. Who would have thought that the humble Rambler would serve as an inspiration for a 21st century SUV?
    For the past decade we've had "aircraft" style roofs/doors, just like cars back in the 30's. Ergo no real "exterior" rain gutters. I miss real rain gutters :-)

Steve, Host
    This is still a question mark. The teaser brochure I got at the auto show has a picture of the dashboard. With a magnifying glass I was able to read "Auto" as a drive mode, in addition to 2WD, 4Hi, and 4Lo. I also stopped by a Nissan dealer yesterday, and they had a different "preliminary" brochure that also makes reference to "auto 4WD." I haven't visited the Nissan web site, but one person (here) who visited it said yes to full-time, and 2 others (not here in this forum) said the web site mentioned part-time 4WD. So, which is it??

Bob
    is inconsistent. In the specs, it suggests part-time 4WD, with no mention of the "Auto" mode. If you go to the "Performance/Drivetrain" section it mentions "Auto full-time 4WD."

Bob
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Isn't it the same as the current system in Pathfinder/QX4?? I thought i read somewhere that it is the same.
    I don't know...

Bob
  • cj724cj724 Member Posts: 13
    Is it true that Nissan will still produce the current midsize Pathfinder in 2004 and beyond? The Armada is not really a Pathfinder after all!
  • bigorange30bigorange30 Member Posts: 1,091
    I have heard that production has already stopped. This link seems to indicate that it has at least slowed significantly. If not, they will kill it shortly for lack of sales. Sales cut in half in Feb compared to last Feb.

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsuv.asp
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    Yes, they have stopped producing Pathfinder?QX4 in Japan. But some rumors from the designers who work in Nissan said, it will be the same size but with new look and more refined. Off course HP will be higher than now and likely to get V8. This are just a rumors so don't fully depend on it.
      I guess the Armada maybe part-time 4 wheel drive because Nissan patrol is also a part-time 4 wheel drive same like pathfinder/QX4.
    * The Armada falls halfway between the Expedition and Suburban in wheelbase:

Expedition wheelbase = 119"
    Armada wheelbase = 123"
    Suburban wheelbase = 130"

That being the case, I still feel the Armada is more competitor for the Expedition than the Suburban because: 1) it doesn't have enough cargo space for the luggage of all 8 passengers for a lengthy vacation (like the Suburban), 2) it can't carry 4'x8' paneling flat on the floor with the hatch closed (like the Suburban), and 3) there's no 3/4 ton model available (like the Suburban).

* Will (at some later date) a larger-still Armada (King Armada?) be offered that can truly go head-to-head with the Suburban, on all fronts?

* When the new mid-size Pathfinder arrives, will it be sized more like the current Explorer (113" wheelbase), and with a 3rd-row seat? Will it get a 4.5-4.7 V8 as an option? I hope this is the case, as it will then clearly distance itself from the 5-passenger, (smaller) mid-size Xterra.

* Will Nissan bring over the small X-Trail of go against the Rav4 & CRV?

Bob
  • goose1207goose1207 Member Posts: 113
    QX4 production has stopped. The current Pathfinder as we know it will continue on until the fall of '04. That is when a redesigned MY05 PF will be introduced. It will have 3rd row seating to compete with the Explorer, etc. NNA is anticipating that they will drop the PF part of the Armada name once it has passed the growth phase. They are just using the PF name on the Armada for it's introduction since there is some brand equity with "PF" that they can use to leverage initial sales of the new Armada that no one has ever heard of. The mid-size PF will continue on.
    "first drive" article from somewhere soon. I hope whoever spots it first links it here for us to read. I will certainly do that when I see it.
    But you did see our Preview?

Steve, Host
  • zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    Nissan website states that it's AWD as well as 4wd low, so that should make everybody happy.

Any clue on the pricing or release date?
  • kbehnkekbehnke Member Posts: 60
    I emailed Nissan to inquire about the future of the Pathfinder. Being a two-time owner of this fine vehicle, I was discouraged to hear the rumors about its demise. Nissan actually responded and said they have no plans to discontinue the Pathfinder and a redesign is in the works. I'll sleep better at night now!
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Any Pricing news on the Armada yet??
    Guess not...

Meanwhile, there's this:

2004 Infiniti QX56

Steve, Host
  • alphamalealphamale Member Posts: 15
    than Toyota and Ford can sleep easy, because it would be pretty hard to make this aany uglier.
      Maybe a Racoon tail on the antennea?
      A Gold Trim package for THAT grill?
      Size matters, but not that much! What a joke.
    of the beholder! I used to think the raccoon tail on the aerial of my '28 DeSoto Roadster (with the '54 Dodge hemi!) was almost as neat as the fuzzy dice hanging from the mirror. Gold trim can look fine (IMHO) on some cars. That said, I will wait until I actually see Armadas in various colors, on the street, in the real world, to pass final judgment on the styling. So far I have to say that it is on a short list to replace my Tahoe. Ford may be sleeping but you can bet Toyota is not!
  • kcflyerkcflyer Member Posts: 78
    I like the sequioa but....no IRS thus no folding rear seat = less functional interior space and inferior ride quality (as a rule) As for looks I have never be wowed by the front end of the toyota, it looks like the ugly 97 ford pickups. Anyway, I think the Armada is certainly got the designers at Toyota hard at work on the next Sequioa. Now if ford would put a real engine in the Expy we will have some interesting competition.
  • galvanggalvang Member Posts: 156
    Big difference in styling between the curvier and racier Murano and the Armada. Murano, lets face it, its a lot more sexier that than this beast the Aramada.

Good-The Armada's front end is very nice with stainless steel accent that will probably be need a clear bra for all the nix scratches from the road hazards.

Bad-The sides are all right. But at the rear from the back door to the end it seems out of place. Maybe its an optical illusion from the shape of windows. It looks like its been cut and the rear has been glued on. It doesn't look right.

Ugly-The rear in my opinion is ugly. Straight flat rear with no body molding, looks like an old expy from the mid-nineties. Nissan you got to improve if you want to beat the Seqioa and Tahoe.

As for function, I am quite satisfied that the Armada will shine here.
  • carpeoplecarpeople Member Posts: 36
    "Ugly-The rear in my opinion is ugly. Straight flat rear with no body molding, looks like an old expy from the mid-nineties. Nissan you got to improve if you want to beat the Seqioa and Tahoe"

The strait flat rear is for utility. Lets face it, this is not an urban SUV, this is the real deal, f-size buyers want the biggest thing around, and basically, Nissan cannot change much on the design or it WILL be strait ugly, causse there's only so much you can do on a truck platform.

Also, rumors of PF dying off are not true. They are not producing any more 03's, buta refreshening for 04 than a redesign for 05 or 06 will come and the PF Armada will then be just Armada, they are doing this so customers can feel fimiliar with the vehicle.

PF Armada will be priced closely with the Titan since Armada based on the Titan 5.6, starting somewhere at 27k all the way to 45k. This competes well with the Sequioa

The NEW Midsize PF will not grow much but will I think be based on the Titan or maybe switch to the Altima base bcause Frontier will be switched over to the Titan platform. Nissan is on a roll with thier new trucks!!!
  • ms0316ms0316 Member Posts: 1
    was watching ESPN NY Auto Trade Show this weekend and they listed the Armada to start at $28K...
    The Armada is the best-looking full-size SUV on the market. It looks great from any angle, and I've seen it in person too, at the NY auto show.

Bob
  • 2heeldrive2heeldrive Member Posts: 87
    are way up high and are different than the fronts. Kids will have a hard time opening those doors.

Nice dash, but I will have to agree that the exterior doesn't photograph well.