Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• hmk123hmk123 Member Posts: 122
    I planned to buy a 300C last May but then didn't want to wait that long and bought a Thunderbird. Well, my family situation changed and this weekend I traded the T-Bird for a slightly used Magnum RT in Cool Vanilla. Great car. I love it! The drive and handling is amazing.

However, I was very surprised to learn that it did not have the automatic head lights that my 300M used to have (and I believe the 300C has got, too). I liked that convenience a lot. Also, I was disappointed that there are no memory positions for the seat. First I thought it was just my model (fully loaded though, minus sunroof) but when I looked it up it looks like it is not available. Am wondering why? I know the Dodge is supposed to be less expensive than the 300C (and is). But still... Didn't the Intrepid have automatic head lights? Anyone know why these conveniences were left out? Is there a way to later somehow add a memory system for the seat?

Also, driving above 65 mph there seems to be either some slight ratteling or some wind noise coming from the left side. I can't quite pin point yet what it is or where it is coming from. Somewhere around the driver's door though. Any ideas?

Thanks, Hans
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    I hope everybody can get this fixed for them. Sounds like the car is good except for certain build dates that have this problem. The best alignment people are usually not working at new car dealerships.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    The Intrepid ES headlights do not come on automatically, if that is what you mean. They do shut off after awhile if the ignition is turned off with the lights on. Neither does it have memory power seats. I have a fully loaded ES and like the car, but it does not have those features. There has to be some luxury items to distinguish
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    "This is an interesting problem, why some vehicles and not others. If it were something wrong with the design geometry of the front suspension, one would think that it would be all the cars. If it is a manufacturing glitch that happens only intermittently, one would think that it would be easy to spot and fix"

I could be wrong but my understanding is this problem accompanied the earlier builds. Apparently the fix has helped many owners at least on the 300 forums that get a lot more posts than here. Dealer competency( i.e they know what they are doing)probably also plays a big role.

So my guess is they incorporated the fix on the fly at some point in time on the assembly line- thats why its a logical guess that the "later" builds(like my RT)will not have this problem.

As a previous poster indicated- Mine is sensitive to road crowning...so there may a slight drift to the right at times, but certainly no pull.
    Thanks for the info. Guess I had it wrong with the Intrepid. For some reason I thought they offered that feature.
    Is there a recommended web site that offers discounted DaimlerChrysler service contracts as well as extended warrenties? Was thinking about getting those for my Magnum RT. Thanks.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    You can get the automatic lights by simply having the dealer order the light switch from the 300C with auto lights. This will work only if your Magnum has the dual zone climate control with the round sensor on the top of the dash in the middle. I put one in mine and it works great. Auto lights for about $40.
    Thank you! That is a great tip!!!
  • ken5ken5 Member Posts: 11
    Not sure what we can post here but go to http://www.300cforums.com/ and do a search on the forums on the key word "warranty". I was able to get 35% off list. $910 for a 5 yr/70K mi 0$ dedeuctable Maximum care which is bumper to bumper warranty.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Hi Judy and others

We certainly don't recommend posting your email address in your messages because all our pages are searchable on the internet (Google and others) and are thus visible to non-members and spamming bots. Making your profile email viewable, even temporarily, is MUCH safer, as those windows are only available to members.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • cuppcupp Member Posts: 5
    Have 18k on my RT took delivery 10/04. It has just a small rt. pull problem. had it in today for an oil change (Chicago area)& mentioned to the service rep. that the tires were already worn out. All 4 are down to the wear bars on the tires. He said he contacted DC to see about replacements, will let me know tomorrow. Has there been any luck with this by anyone?
  • seadoosandiseadoosandi Member Posts: 19
    Where can I locate the mfg. date of my RT? I bought mine Dec. 30th. It has a slight drift to the right. I had the dealer re-align the car. It seems to be better but I'm keeping an eye on it and the wear on my tires.

Thanks,
    SeadooSandi
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    To have automatic headlights on a Magnum, simply buy the 300C headlight switch for about $50. Once you change the switch, you will have the automatic lights.
  • judescarjudescar Member Posts: 14
    Please delete my post if you can.....thanks
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    "Where can I locate the mfg. date of my RT?"

The "Manufactured by..." sticker is on the painted section of the door where the latch mechanism is.

Keep in mind the date you purchased is completely independent of the vehicle build date-it may be one they just got in or one they have for few months. A good first guess is how many miles were on your car when you test drove it.

My RT only had three miles- so w/o looking at the sticker I knew it was fresh on the lot.
  • ken5ken5 Member Posts: 11
    Here are the instructions on how to make the swap with Chrysler headlight switch (part #: 4602348AC.

To remove the lower panel:
    1. Open the driver’s door
    2. Where the dash meets the door frame there is a long thin plastic trim piece aprox 10” long. Gently remove it by pulling the bottom part first then the top. There are two clips that hold it in; they will give to gentle pulling.
    3. Now with that removed you will see the first of 2 screws to remove. Remove this screw.
    4. The second screw is under the dash, you can’t miss it. Remove this one too.
    5. THIS IMPORTANT!! Take not of how the lower dash piece meet up with the door frame. Putting it back the same way will help aligning the screw holes.
    6. Now you can remove the lower trim piece. It is held on with 4 clips just like the side trim piece. To the right of the steering wheel there are 2 clips, one up and one down. To the left the clips are both on the top side by side. Gently pulling forward will release the clips.
    7. Now the trim piece will be detached except for the parking brake release cable. You do not need to remove this from the trim piece.
    8. Now you reach up and behind the old switch and remove it.

Just reverse the procedure for reinstall of the panel.
    Thanks for the great instructions. I will give that a try once I got the switch!
  • carlvr2carlvr2 Member Posts: 1
    I just test drove a magnum and love it, noticed a right pull!!

is this a common problem, the car has 100 miles on it.

gary
    Done :)

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Some early production Magnums and 300s pulled to the right, but that old issue has been addessed. I have driven several, and none pulled.

I always like saving money, prefer cloth seats, and really want a smooth and quiet ride, so drove an SXT recently. It does ride more smoothly than the RT, and the cloth seats will be better in summer. The 3.5 V6 is fast enough, certainly as good or better than the 2002 Mountaineer V8 I will sell, plus the 2006 3.5 V6 models will have the Mercedes-Benz design 5 speed automatic, not the old Chrysler 4 speed used in the 2005 models, so the 2006 cars should be slightly quicker and provide slightly better mileage. I ordered the following:

2006 Magnum rear wheel drive
    PPK Magnesium exterior color
    B7D1 cloth seats with dark slate gray and light graystone interior
    NAS Emission Equipment, 50 state
    EGG V6 3.5 HO
    26G Quick Order package, SXT
    AMU Performance appearance group (will be standard in 2006)
    RC-6 Boston Acoustics speakers
    RAK - radio with 6-disc CD changer, casette, MP3
    ADB protection package
    RSP U-connect (Bluetooth)
    RSA Sirius radio
    XAP power pedals

By the way, the performance appearance group and the revised SXT wheels significantly improve the look of the SXT models. The first 300 I saw was an SXT rental, and the unattractive completely painted wheels really detracted from the car.
  • harleylovrharleylovr Member Posts: 2
    regarding an earlier question on how to determine your vehicle manufacture date, please go to page 249 of your owners manual for instructions on how to decipher the vehicle certification label on the inside of the drivers door. You will be able to determine the month, date and hour (MDH) your car was manufactured..
  • donnak1donnak1 Member Posts: 39
    I hate to burst your bubble, but for some of us, the right pull issue has NOT been resolved and at the rate Chrysler is going, it will not be unless we open a very nasty can of worms. There are a couple of us who have had our Magnums in the service dept. over 3 times and still have the right drift/pull. It is very annoying and we are ready to talk to lawyers. Just because you haven't found one doesn't mean the issue is solved. At my dealer, near Chicago, every one I've driven has pulled to one extent or another. Mine was made in June 04, and has pulled since the day I test drove it in September 04.

Donna
  • ppugppug Member Posts: 9
    I have noticed a growl (for lack of a better word) when coming to a stop and turning tightly like into a parking space..... I am catching up on the posts so hpoefully there is an answer.
    I am in Illinois too... crappy Palatine dodge, worse libertyville dodge, and worst gurnee dodge.... is there a good illinois dealership?

I am bringing my car into Feeny Dodge monday to have my Pull problem looked at and also my bizarre problem of AM stations not working....

Still love the car, but it is becoming more of a love/hate relationship then a love/lust
    Welcome to my world and judebaby in Florida. When you take your car in Monday regarding the pull, see if the service manager will give you the story that "all cars pull to the right-it's a safety feature built in to keep you from having a head on collision". I'm just curious if Chrysler sent out a nationwide memo on what to tell the Magnum and 300 customers when confronted with the pull issue. I am having mine looked at by a Chrysler mechanic next week at a different dealer. This guy actually fixed the right pull in a 300. It has something to do with the REAR adjustments on the alignment and a couple of bolts acutally installed UPSIDE DOWN.When he fixes mine, I will have him write down the exact numbers to take either to you dealer (IF he will actually do it) or to an alignment shop and send the bill to Chrysler.
    Hang in there all you "rightys"!!!
    Donna
  • tlktlk Member Posts: 21
    To catch you up on the posts...mine (AWD RT) did the same thing and it got worse with the miles. they ended up putting in a new front differential. It will also start to whine at speed, in addition to the growl. The service tech (a guy that has been around for a long long time, sez the diff is not sufficiently robust, in his opinion, to handle the HP from the HEMI. How many miles you got? I bet around 10K. Good luck.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    2006 MY changes - Chrysler 300 & Dodge Magnum/Charger

COLORS
    -Cool Vanilla limited to retail units (not available for Fleet)
    -Stone White added as Fleet Only availability
    -Silver Steel Metallic Clear Coat replaces Mineral Grey
    -Deep Lava Red replaced by Linen Gold Metallic Pearl Coat

EXTERIOR
    -Performance Appearance Group content added to Magnum SXT (Bright Grille Inserts, Bodyside Molding with Bright Insert, Fog Lamps, Body-colored Folding Heated Mirrors, 3.5L High Output Engine badge, Bright Headlamp Bezels)
    -Performance Appearance Group option dropped
    -Fender Molding Dropped from Magnum SXT's
    -300 Touring/Limited Bodyside Moldings changed to RT design
    -300 Touring/Limited, SXT Exterior Mirrors changed from folding to fixed (Magnum, Charger SXT)

INTERIOR
    -Fold-flat Front Passenger Seat (Late Introduction, Magnum/Charger SXT, RT)
    -Rear Door Ash Receivers removed from Smoker's Package
    -Auto/Auto graphic added to sunroof switch (commonization)
    -SXT/RT get Ash Receiver Door with Chrome Accent
    -SXT (Leather)/RT get Satin Silver lower steering wheel spokes
    -SXT/RT gets new Center Stack Bezel - Satin Silver (Magnum/Charger SXT/RT)
    -Boston Acoustics badge added to mirror flag door trim

FUNCTIONAL
    -New Tire Pressure Monitor Warning (300 Touring/Limited)
    -New Tire Pressure Monitor Display (300C)
    -Optional DVD Video Entertainment System in Center Console (Magnum/Charger SXT, RT)
    -AM/FM/CD Radio (REF) gets Auxiliary Audio Input Jack
    -Seat Belt Alert added
    -SXT RWD new 17" Machined Aluminum Wheel (Magnum, Charger SXT)
    -300 Touring new 17" Machined Aluminum Wheel (300 Touring)
    -RT 18" Aluminum Wheel made optional on RWD SXT's (Magnum, Charger SXT)
    -3.5L Engine RWD Models get W5A580 Transmission (Sept 2005, 300 Touring, Limited)
    -2.7L Engines receive Variable Line Pressure (VLP) Transmissions (300, Magnum/Charger SE)
    -Auto Headlamps & Express-up Windows added to Convenience Grp II (Magnum RT)

OTHER
    -New Police Packages (Magnum, Charger)
    -Charger Daytona Package (Charger RT)
    -New SRT-8 models (6.1L Hemi & WA580 AS trans, 20x9.0 wheels, Magnum/Charger)
    -Fleet Safety Convenience Group (300, Magnum/Charger SE)
    -All Dodge Models get Hood Props, Chrysler models get Gas Props
    -Cold Weather Group replaced by Engine Block Heater
    -Optional Comfort/Convenience Group added to 300 Touring(includes: Power Passenger Seat, Heated Seats, Express up/down Windows)
    As Donna already knows, I went to the dealer today and drove a 2005 Magnum mfg on 2-5-2005 and it is NOT an old issue...It pulles also. Mine was mfg 9-30-2004. Of course the General Manager says his Magnum doesn't pull to the right....Wonder Why??? I will be taking mine to someone else to be looked at and will proceed from there and the GM says he will call the factory...Wish me luck. I have had it to the dealer three times.
    Jude
  • scnzzzscnzzz Member Posts: 1
    I couldn't agree more. although this seems to vary from dealer to dealer. Sunnyvale Chrysler Jeep Dodge (Bay Area, CA) has 6k markups on EVERY SINGLE R/T on the lot - with no value add to show for them. BTW, lots of inventory at this dealer :).

A nearby dealer sold me the car (R/T, relatively lightly loaded - after all, it's all about the Hemi) under sticker. Same car. Much more pleasant experience. Didn't insult my intelligence by offering me a "special internet deal, huge savings - and still substantially over MSRP" like the Sunnyvale dealer did.

I'm aware that it's the dealer's prerogative to add to the sticker for popular models. But with the '06 coming soon, it's hard to stomach this sort of gouging - especially with competition in the area doing better than sticker. I guess there's a sucker born every minute, and these guys are counting on that.

The sad thing is that this sort of thing gives DC a bad name, and frankly, of the big 3, I see DC leading the way in making the US auto industry a world player, with GM and Ford far behind.
    Donna,

Does the mechanic that fixed the right pull on the 300 plan to share that info with DC so they can have a recall and get all of us fixed?

SeadooSandi
  • newdodgemannewdodgeman Member Posts: 13
    Hello all. I've been reading this forum for months and thought I would finally offer my 2 cents. I just ordered a R/T RWD, Midnight Blue, Sunroof, Elect. Gp., Elect. Grp. II, and 6 -CD. Will come in as a 2006. 2005 MSRP is 33,600. I got mine here in the Boston area for invoice, with my option to trade my Sport Trac at delivery. I too have seen a few dealers still with $2K markups; needless to say the snow covers those cars on the lot! I think the time is finally here that these cars can be bought reasonably. I see plenty of inventory on lots, thought not so many R/T's, but they are there. I found going in and proving you know just how these cars are priced shortens your negotiations. Buy with your head, not your heart. The heart part will come when you drive it!
    Update...Have not heard from the General Manager at the dealership. He was supposed to call the factory MOnday and get back to us. It is Tuesday evening. Guess I will be seeing him again if I don't hear anything by Friday. At least we gave him a chance, so let's hope he does the "right" thing.
    Jude
    Hey beach15, good info. As I mentioned in my posting I am expecting delivery of a 2006 early May. I was wondering where this info came from? I searched but came up empty. Any chance the folding passenger seat might get into my build date? And I am assuming Deep Lava Red is a 300 color? Also, do you think the dealer was correct in quoting 8-10 weeks for delivery? He does seem to sell a good share of Magnums so I expect his allotment is better than average. Thanks for the info.
    newdodgeman
    Deep Lava Red (aka Deep Molten Red) has been used on the trucks for a couple of years. It borders on maroon, but without the blue undertones that would lean it towards purple.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
    So I am assuming it being a Dodge truck color then beach15's info. suggests it will be a Magnum color, not a 300 color?

newdodgeman
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Nope. For 2005 the Lava Red was a 300 color only. The Magnum got Inferno Red which later became Blaze Red, which is what I have. It is possible that for 2006 Dodge will add the Lava Red to the Magnum, but I seriously doubt it.
    DC has pretty much eliminated (well, definitely blurred) that "truck color vs car color" distinction. If they think it looks good, they offer it until sales say otherwise.

kcram
    Host - Wagons
  • cuppcupp Member Posts: 5
    Try South Holland Dodge, fantastic service dept. Service manager said right pull problem is an easy fix
    Does anyone know where to pick up a manual or how hard it is to take off the bezel for the radio? I have a navigation system that I am going to put in to replace the current radio.
  • bill35bill35 Member Posts: 1
    ialso just took delivery of a magnum hemi.the exasust is too quiete for my taste. has anyone fixed this and how also i need info about the towing package what extra things do i have to buy everybody i talked to at the deler seemed a little confused. helb
    bill 35
  • founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    All this talk of Hybrid engines is really great, but lets look at the big picture here. The only thing the Oil companies will do is raise the price of Gas where it'll be like 6 or 7 bucks a gallon to make up for cars that are more fuel efficient. They are already planning for this when the hybrid engines really take hold. That's why gas prices are creeping up slowly. We will never get ahead as consumers. It's wishful thinking to believe that gas is going to be 2 bucks a gallon when that hybrid yukon arrives that gets 30 or 40 miles to the gallon in a couple years.
  • fd1000fd1000 Member Posts: 47
    Just wanted to throw another 'pull to the right' experience onto the bonfire.

I am considering leasing a Magnum RT AWD, or a 300C.

Test drove a Magnum RT yesterday (03/13/05). Car had maybe 100 miles on it.

Half way thru the test drive, I told the sales person that this car pulls to the right.

I have had cars before, that were nearly impossible to get to drive down the street straight. I DO NOT want another one.

I really like the Magnum, I REALLY REALLY like the lease prices I am getting. So I REALLY want to hear about this problem getting fixed.

P.S.-I was quoted the following on a fully loaded Magnum RT AWD: $1300 total out of pocket, 12k miles a year, 39 month lease, with tax in MN, $563.00 a month. THAT is a good price.

So please!!! I hope we can find out how to fix this problem.
    Is that South Holland ILLINOIS??????? What is the fix he's talking about for the pull? The cradle adjustment? That didn't work for me.

Donna
    What did the salesman say when you told him the car pulls to the right?
    Donna
    The tow package is a joke. There is no receiver or hitch included OR electrical hookups. All you get is the special load leveling shocks and special heating/cooling for the transmission. Don't waste your money like I did.

With regard to the exhaust what kind of fix are you looking for? There is nothing broke, it's just quiet.

SeadooSandi
    And the fix would be......???? Is the dealer not willing to share the fix with DC so we can all get fixed??

SeadooSandi
    Probably the same thing they all say.."it is designed that way"...but anyway, I have an appointment on March 21st with the Zone manager about my right pull issue. They say that a Technical Service Bulletin was issued but does NOT pertain the the 2005, only the 2004's. So basically, IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO FIX THIS THING, PLEASE LET US HEAR IT. As Donna said, it is not a cradle adjustment, or front end alignment or tires or even a design feature. By the way, this seems to be a problem with cars that have the LX platform such as the Magnum and 300 Series. And you can bet your next car payment, they have a fix but are not going to do a recall.
    Jude
    Maybe you could post the fix for all of us that are not in the area of South Holland Dadge.
    Jude
  • tlktlk Member Posts: 21
    I disagree that the tow package is a joke. Granted, you have to get the receiver installed, but there are some options for that based on your needs and preference - a possible reason why it is not done at the factory. One of the receivers that is available - the drop receiver with the "blade" ball attachment - is kinda unusual, but is is not visually significant and it works great. The car tows almost anything with great ease. The load-leveling shocks are wonderful; they really handle the loads I have given them. If you need to tow, get the package.
    I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of my ordered RT, due around 5/1/05 and will be a 2006 according to the dealer. Does anyone have any firm info. regarding pricing for the 2006's? Thanks.

newdodgeman