Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• psydocpsydoc Member Posts: 4
    You mentioned a production shutdown. When did this supposedly happen?? What prompted it, and are there any service bulletins on the magnum that will assuage my fears about the right pull, water in the tranny, etc?? Im really being pushed into getting the '05 magnum as the '06 has a weaker warranty. Any ideas??
  • rose17rose17 Member Posts: 3
    I got my Magnum RT on July 22, 2004, took it in on the 30th because of a vibration (steering wheel AND car body). They balanced my tires-it worked about 3 days. Didn't have time to take it back until September. Then they said my alignment was out, 'Do you drive on rough roads?' This car has never even been on gravel! Next day the vibration is back. Also when you hit a bump in the road the steering wheel almost jerks out of your hand. Took it back today and they tell me I need 4 new tires. I have 25,000 miles. I know these tires are a soft rubber, so I can deal with that, but I don't believe it will eliminate the vibration SINCE IT HAS BEEN THERE FROM THE BEGINNING!!! Has anyone dealt with this OR does anyone have Lee Iacocca's e-mail?
  • wilson5wilson5 Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 05 RT Feb.28 05 Like car very well but have had some problems. Leaking rear diff. two days after delivery,u-connect stop working,rattle in overhead storage box,grinding sound when braking. The current issue is with the dash pad over the speedo + tack. Started out as 1 bubble about half the size of a dime and then spread to 4 to 5 spots. Dash was replaced by dealer. Now the new dash (about a week old) is doing the same, one spot and has now spread to two. Dealer has call Chrysler to see if this is a wide spread problem and they say no. Has anyone had any problem like this or know of others.
  • mag300xmag300x Member Posts: 6
    :shades: I've read on other posts where a production shut-down was mentioned, I don't know if it was a factory vacation shut-down, or if there was any shut-down at all, I just don't know.

I haven't had any spots or bubbles on my dash board either, but it's probably too soon for that to affect me, I'll definitely keep an eye out for that as well as those other problems you mentioned.

I've only had my Mag for 4 days, so I haven't had any of the other problems (yet) that are mentioned above. The steering wheel and car body vibration described above sounds like something serious, especially if the wheel balance didn't work. Keep us informed on how that is resolved, because if that was there from the beginning, and they can't fix it you may have a lemon.

In New York you have up until 18000 miles though or (I think 2 years) and you have to bring it into the dealer with the same problem at least 4 times. I don't know what state you're in, but that is something to consider.

Look, I like this car as much as the next guy (or gal), but that vibration sounds serious, the braking noise, the engine noises and I'll be quick to use the lemon law if I have to and I would get another one too.

Before I bought the Mag, I rented a Ford Taurus, a Chevy Monte Carlo (I was very impressed) and a Ford Mustang 4.0 liter (bright yellow) (squeezed 3 people in the back seat to go out to dinner) (got the most buzz while driving around the city), and I had no pull issues or engine noises. I rented those cars in particular because I knew I was going to buy the Mag and I wanted to compare them to it.

Don't get me wrong, the Mag comes through with flying colors :shades:
  • mnunesmnunes Member Posts: 11
    The Brampton Assembly plant did a 2-week shutdown from 7/1/05 to 7/16/05. The annual plant shutdown allows them to do retooling (mostly not necessary this time since they had retooled to get all of the LX platform vehicles on the same 2006 assembly line) but also to coordinate everyone's vacations so they don't have critical players out here and there during the regular production year. I think they said they did get some new equipment in and replace some old stuff. Lots more info in the forums on bramptonassembly.com if you look a few weeks back.

They've been back on 3 shifts since 7/16/05.
  • hman3hman3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my '05 RWD RT on 7/23/05. I am also experiencing the same rumble strip/washboard feel and sound. It too occurs with very slight acceleration at about 40 mph. Lovertmagnum, have you taken your car in for service yet, or have you found out anything else on this? Could it be the "water in the transmission" problem others have had?

I'm waiting to find out more before I take it back to the dealer.
  • rose17rose17 Member Posts: 3
    I also have the bubbles, but have been distracted with my vibration problem. I was guessing it is hidden screws for the airbag assembly. I am afraid if they mess with it my dash wont be as "tight". I have been referred to Continental Tires about my vibration problem-gave me a ref. # to go to Sears and have them checked. These tires are junk. I haven't been able to find the same size in another brand. Good luck. ( Love the engine!!!)
  • exileexile Member Posts: 6
    I am dealing with vibration for 8 months but with Concord LXI 2004. Transitowne Dodge Williamsville NY,did rotation, balance, alignment.Left rear tire premature wear.Only 18000 miles.After rotation another left rear tire - starting showing premature wearing too+ vibration.They can not duplicate problem.Next visit I need one tire to be replace, vibration present to the point that steering wheel shaking, pulsation during breaking.They offer Goodyear Integrity- passenger tires.I refused because I have Goodyear Eagle GA - performance.They said that no more obtainable.I did not want to pay because of warranty. They newer called back.I called Chrysler.They said that is written warranty does not cover tires.I did buy brand new 4 tires Goodyear Eagle GA - Goodyear shop.Another dealer did find out that front rotors should be replaced...$200.They used ( not every tire shop or dealer have this machine but is good) The Hunter GSP 9700 Vibration Control System.
    Two of 4 brand new tires bad must be replaced.Balance rims & tires $ 114.They did find rear camber out of specification.Necessary to adjust rear strut mount.Transitowne Dodge Williamsville NY did not see that.They did alignment.In my opinion they destroyed my tires and breaks.I saw another post ,four tires destroyed because of bad alignment, after few thousand miles 300 or Magnum??? I am not sure which one.Steering & suspension components OK.Alignment.Vibration present.What is my point???
  • gilli2usgilli2us Member Posts: 2
    I had a vibration problem in my 05 AWD R/T and took it to the shop. I also noticed a hesitation, and told them about it. It was the TPS sensor. They had to reprogram. Not sure if this is everybodys problem, but mine also started at about 40 mph, at part throttle. It vibrated really bad, you could see it in the steering wheel, and it felt like I was running over washboards. Hopefully this will help you guys out. Magnum forums at www.newcharger.org.
  • tlktlk Member Posts: 21
    I agree that the Conti's are junk. I got a set of Pirelli's - WOW!
  • tlktlk Member Posts: 21
    I got my RT AWD Hemi last November. Problems so far (all warranty): 1) failed/replaced transfer case/front differential, 2) Nav system joystick failed - replaced entire radio package just for the joystick. 3) Gas leak due to failed sender gasket on top of the fuel tank - replaced. 4) Leaking rear diff seals - replaced. 5) Conti tires went away at 17K - this is an AWD that not seen a burnout - the tires just wore out - replaced with Pirelli's which are wearing OK but only with routine rotation.

Positives: Great seating room - just did a 2K trip with full back seat. Rode in the back myself and it was great. Great power - pulled a trailer through the Colorado Rockies without any problems. Passed a lot of vehicles on the uphill sections with great fun. Great mileage - averaged 17 with the trailer at 80 mph - getting 22 to 24 without the trailer at 75-80. Great sound system. Great NAV system - makes a trip enjoyable and keeps me from getting lost. Great looks - I am still getting used to be stared at at stoplights. Got stopped by a cop who really just wanted to see the car! No pulling, vibration, or other handling problems.

In all, this is a great car - especially considering it is a first-year model (and all the problems typically associated with the first-year models). It is a leased company car and I will be replacing it with another RT AWD Hemi!
  • thomas99thomas99 Member Posts: 1
    4 days after buying my Dodge Magnum the engine blew (at 200 miles!). After examining the engine, the dealership told us that it was waterlogged and it only could have been caused by driving through high water. We explained to them that the engine blew in perfectly clear weather conditions, but sat overnight in a rain storm, waiting to be towed. We begged them to continue looking at the engine for further problems, but they refused. Furthermore, they said that it was our fault that the engine blew and that the $6000 repair would not be covered by warranty. They even wrote on our service record, "Customer states that he drove through high water," when in fact, we told them just the opposite. Our problem was referred to our district manager, who sided with the dealership and essentially called us liars. I have tried to tell this story to Daimler Chrysler, but no one there cares whatsoever. They all say, "It says on your service record that you drove through high water." Unbelievable. I have talked to numerous mechanics (even some from Dodge) who have all told me that their explanation regarding what is wrong with the car is pretty unrealistic. Dodge does not care at all! So basically, I am stuck with a defective car with 220 miles on it. The good news is that consumer watchdog groups have urged me to submit my story to them. I will never buy Dodge/Chrysler again. And I will tell everyone I know to follow suit.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Ask to see the parts; it is VERY easy to tell if an engine was destroyed by ingesting water. If the valves are operable and nicely seated inside the cylinder heads, and if the connecting rods are straight with no bearing or piston damage at either end, then your engine was not damaged by water.

That having been said, if one or more valves have been pushed up into the head, if the connecting rods are bent almost into a swirl and or broken (with little apparent bearing damage), if the spark plugs have been blown through and/or if even a single piston has a hole in it then there is probably no argument that you can make to DC (or any other mechanic for that matter) to convince them that you didn't drive your car through water deep enough to allow the engine to ingest some (it doesn't take much).

Thinking about this from a different perspective, if it turns out that your engine did in fact suffer hydraulic damage, that should be covered under your insurance policy. The fact is that hitting a deep puddle or other water hazard is no different than hitting a deer or other road hazard.

Let us know what happens.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • rufusrykerrufusryker Member Posts: 5
    I read somewhere that the Magnum was excluded from the "employee discount" program. But I just was at the Chrysler site pricing a Magnum using their own menu-driven pricing system, and the discount was shown in red and automatically deducted from the final price. So what gives? Does the discount apply to the Magnum or not?
  • jtalbertsjtalberts Member Posts: 2
    I am really interested in buying a 2006 Magnum SE. The main reason is that I think the car looks sweet, but I am going with the 2006 because you can get the SE and upgrade the engine to the 3.5l V6 for just $1000.

Does anyone that has the 3.5l V6 ever tow jetskis or a boat with it? I know it is only rated at 2000 lbs towing capacity, but I was just wondering how it does when pulling the boat or some jetskis out of the water.

Thanks,
    Jamie
  • romannumalromannumal Member Posts: 21
    I HAVE A RT RATING AT 3800 LBS. AND I TOW MY BOAT HERE IN CA. TO THE RIVER ABOUT 300 MILES ONE WAY AND I PASS THOSE DAM SUV WITH NO PROBLEM.
    I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS HELPS WITH THE 3.5 V6. BUT THE CHEV TRAIL BRAZIER HAS A BIG V6 AND I SEE THEM PULLING LIKE 22 FT PLUS BOATS.
    HOPE YOU FIND OUT WHAT YOU NEED HERE.
  • newdodgemannewdodgeman Member Posts: 13
    I swapped my mufflers for Flowmasters (series 40's). Made a big difference in sound, but I wasn't quite satisfied. So now I have removed the resonators. Sounds great, but there is much resonance (drone) aound 1800 rpm. I have read that this is completely expected; that's why DC put on resonators. I have also read many people have put on more free flowing aftermarket resonators (Magnaflow, etc.). I now have to choose whether to put the stock units back on or go with after market units. I am presently leaning towards Magnaflows am I am asking if anyone has done this and is there any drone to be heard with these?
  • ddunlapddunlap Member Posts: 8
    I had a problem with the gas gauge. It would not indicate full. Calibration was performed when I took delivery of the vehicle, but - no help. Dealer ordered new "module" which took three weeks to arrive, then the gas tank had to be dropped, and I am advised that a new gauge block (?) had to be ordered. This was supposed to take three to five days. Are these people easter-egging to fix the problem, or just jerking me around. DaimlerChrysler customer relations advised there was nothing they could do other than record my complaint.
  • peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    There are a few options when it comes to exhaust. Some people on other forums (which I am not allowed to mention), have installed aftermarket resonators on a homemade system (like you have) which they claim eliminates the drone. Others have reported success with Borla, Magnaflow, and Zoomers cat back systems (I believe they all come with resonators).
    Hi i took off the stock system form the cat's back and put in 2 1/2 pipe with two 24 inch magnaflow and it sound good to me. The guys at the shop think it is to loud but i like it loud. When you step on it OH the HEMI sound greeeat. It is quit it at driving speeds, and low rpm's. I do not like flowmaster for that dam droning sound. Magnaflow is what i think is the right one.
    Kenny's Muffler in cypress, ca. is the bomb.
    peterskm, from what I have read on those other forums, I think I can expect a little deeper tone with no drone if I keep the stock resonators off and replace them with Magnaflows. What is your opinion/experience? I just want to be sure, after having taken off the stock resonators, that if I replace them with Magnaflows or some other mfg. I will be as/more satified than when I had the stock units on. Thanks for your input.
    I would definitely go with aftermarket resonators. The Hemi with MDS requires resonators to eliminate drone when in 4 cyl mode. This is how the engineers designed the exhaust from the factory.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey thomas99,

Did you ever take a look at the internal engine parts? I'm curious to know what they looked like. Assuming that they were fairly straight (ie. no signs of hydraulic damage), have you gotten any traction with the Dealer and D/C regarding the repair?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    :shades: When you say 'droning sound' what exactly do you mean? And when you put in Magnaflows or Flowmasters do you lose the 7 year warranty on the car?
    Why would you loss the 7 year war. as far as i know you only loss the 7 year on the muffler system from the cat's back. As far as the droning sound it sound like you are in a wind tunnel.
    And if you have a 2006, isn't the warranty now only 3/36 on the drive train too?
  • vdogrtvdogrt Member Posts: 2
    I am getting ready to equip my magnum RT real wheel drive to tow a pop up camper. I have the tow prep package. the RV dealer said I would have no problem towing the camper I want to get which ways dry at 2500. He is recomending I get a transmission cooler. should I get the transmission cooler?
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    Does any one know if the wheel's on the AWD Mag. can be changed to the wheel's that are on the RWD? .......and if not what is the diff. of the AWD and the RWD did they put diff. wheel's on the AWD to distingue between the two? For those of you that are wondering I don't care for the wheels on the AWD Magnum.

Thanks in advance

David
  • carguy18carguy18 Member Posts: 1
    I have been told by my dealer that you cannot order a RTAWD for 06 model year,not available in 06? Anyone know if this is correct.Any rebates on 06 2WD?
    No you can not. The AWD wheels have different backspacing.
  • dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    What is the different backspacing going to do?
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Cause the wheel and/or tire to rub on the suspension components. Not good!
    :shades: Took a small trip from NYC to Baltimore, (not the thousands of miles that other writers have posted but good enough for the NE corridor). I'm very impressed with the gas mileage of the Magnum on highways, I averaged at least 25 miles per gallon. As opposed to about 15 miles per gallon in the city. The needle barely moved; shutting down half the cylinders really works, and it's invisible you're never aware of it. I couldn't feel any difference in anything performance wise while crusing.

For those of you still wondering whether to get one, If you drive a lot of highways miles (which I don't, but I don't care) then this car is definitely worth taking a look at. You really can't call this car a gas guzzler the way it runs on the highway.

I guess I'm lucky cause the only consistent problem I've had with this car is the lift gate not working. I finally took it back to dealer they confirmed something was wrong and ordered a new switch, should get it this week.

Other than that when I'm driving I'm just :shades: :shades:
  • lovertmagnumlovertmagnum Member Posts: 4
    My Magnum RT is at the dealership for the third time (11 days this time) regarding the irritating shuddering problem I discussed in message 1487 and the second time regarding a complete disconnect of the fly by wire throttle control that has occured twice and could be a deadly serious safety defect. The service manager agrees there is a problem.

Initial response from the zone manager was that the shuddering was normal for the Magnum RT. HA HA! What an idiotic position to take. The car ran perfectly when I bought it and didn't shudder for the first 3000+ miles. No one would buy a Magnum RT if shuddering and rough running were normal. The service manager finally was able to get authorization for parts and my hopes are that the car will run properly when I pick it up tomorrow.

This time I have been told they are replacing the control module and have serviced and double flushed the transmission.

I think the disconnect of the fly by wire throttle twice got their attention. It is a potentially deadly safety problem and there is a Chrysler Service Bulletin that is supposed to fix it. The disconnect incidents occurred upon aggressive throttle application as one would use trying to pass another vehicle on a two lane road. The problem occured the first time after my first service visit and the second time after thay did the fix called for in the Service Bulletin ... go figure.

Stay tuned and I will report after I pick the vehicle up tomorrow.
  • johndodgejohndodge Member Posts: 25
    Hello vdogrt,

The 2005 Dodge Magnum R/T with the trailer tow prep group is equipped to tow up to 3800lbs. So you’ll be able to tow the 2500lbs with ease, with or without the transmission cooler. Dodge wouldn’t release information stating that the Magnum can tow 3800lbs if transmission heat would be an issue. So the decision to get a transmission cooler is really personal preference.

Well enjoy what’s left of the camping season! :)

John B.
    More on my shuddering Magnum RT.

I just called to see if it was ready to pick up at the dealer and my contact said the service manager drove it after installing the new control module and double flushing and servicing the transmission and determined the problem is not fixed! ... so they have ordered a new torque converter and the installation should be completed by mid or late next week.

I have my fingers crossed and am thankful a real effort is being made to correct the shuddering problem. I was told the control system has 15 sensors, so if the new torque converter doeesn't do the trick ... only 15 mort things to explore.

Fortunately, I own a very low mleage 17 year old "garage queen" Corvette that needed some driving.

I can't wait to get the Magnum running again like it did the first 3000 miles ... it was like a quiet ... powerful ... smooth ... magic carpet! I loved it!

Stay tuned ...
    What do you mean by a shudder is that like a ruff idle?

I think i have some problem with the transmission, when i brake hard then let off and step on the gas it seem like it slips or hesitates. it also seem like it slam into gear also around the same time.

I do have the problem with the ruff idle but it sometimes depends what gas station i stop at.

i bought my RT in may have 5500 mile. Dose any one know of any new service update as of late may. I am going in to get a service and would like to know about any so they do not try to pull a fast one on me.

thanks all, this site is great love my mag it pulls my boat great and rides i style.
  • dfriedfrie Member Posts: 3
    I have an '06 RT AWD. I was told I couldn't order it but my local dealer found several for me and i just picked one closest to what I wanted. Chose a Cool Vanilla R/T AWD and love it so far.
  • alxsalxs Member Posts: 1
    Rough idle, goes to the right, while breaking if you hit a bump a noise like something is loose and falling apart, stereo rear speakers in 6 speaker system fades out as the volume goes up, shift from park to drive on a small incline and it sounds like it was an older car with some ware on it! These are some of the things I have notice. I love the car, but I am frustrated with does things mentioned. Took it to the dealer and was told all RT's make the car bounce while standing still in idle. Also told that the hard shift is normal because of the wight of the car. That they could not find anything wrong with the noise when breaking hard and going over a small bump. The stereo is the next dealer trip. The rear output turns down after mid point. Anyone else experience this? Where does Chrylser post problems that they notice that need repairs?
    No, the shuddering is in the drive train and has nothing to do with a rough idle. See message #1427
  • dxmishloverdxmishlover Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I bout my Magnum 2 weeks ago, having issues with the radio & had problem with the u-connect, but dealer fixed that...now dashboard is bubbling in 2 spots, taking to the dealer today to see what happens next.
    Are you sure it is an '06? I am almost positive these are not made. It might be an '05. THe best way to tell would be if it has hood struts (instead of a prop rod), it is an '05.
  • jabtjabt Member Posts: 2
    My Magnum has has the rear seals replaced, the rack & pinion steering replaced, a valve gasket leak, cd player jammed up and worn out tires at 16,400 miles. I'm counting the days to declare LEMON.
    How dose lemon work?
    Do they just give you a new mag or do they pay off the car?
    I have heard about lemon law but do not know how it works any help would be great.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Lemon laws vary by state, so you should check out the Auto lemon law information at Edmunds page and follow the link you'll find there to see what the rules are in your state.
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Member Posts: 122
    Wow. This is a great car. Drove 400 miles with 3 passengers and their stuff. Had more than enough power and drove fantastically. Much improved over the past generation big DC products. This will be my next car. I will get an extended warranty though. I envy everyone of you owners.
  • mysterymissmysterymiss Member Posts: 1
    My new 2006 Magnumis in the shop today, needed to fix a couple of loose pieces.
    It replaced my beloved 2003 Yukon XL- she just ate too damned much :cry: !!
    I hope I like my Magnum as well as my Yukon, it was VERY hard for me to let her go.
    Does anyone know if you can use Ethanol blends in the new 2006 Hemi, the dealer emphatically said no and suggested I use premium :( . Certainly not gonna happen. I just don't ususally trust what service guys tell me, so I thought I would come to the "experts"
    Made me laugh when the tech told the owner the shudders and noises were "normal" for a magnum. Where do they get these guys and how stupid and gullible do they think we are :confuse:
    Looking forward to learning about my new wheels :shades:
  • turbinebenturbineben Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Magnum with 4000 miles on it, and have been experiencing the same issues. I have been back to the dealership many times, three for the tires being way out of balance when the car was delivered. Two times for alignment issues, which have now been corrected and the car tracks straight. Three times for a popping sound coming from the right front dash area, near the speaker....they have replaced that front dash piece, but the problem still happens. Everything else is great with the car. I just need to get the popping sound fixed somehow. It sounds to me like ti is one of the many plastic snappy things that dodge uses to hold the interior together, but I am not sure.
  • turbinebenturbineben Member Posts: 4
    When I got my Hemi....told the insurance company, and the price went down from my 2001 dodge dakota club cab...wow (progressive)...they call it a minivan I guess!! Another fun fact....the insurance is cheaper than my wife's 2004 Beetle Conv, with the 115 hp engine. Ha!
  • jabtjabt Member Posts: 2
    I had my rack and pinion steering replaced. My car had less than 16,000 miles on it. They also said it was a coincidence that 2 tires were worn out and could not have been from the steering problem. Now it's in for the second oil leak. NOT the valve cover gasket like they originally thought. The parts need to come out of Louisiana or somewhere down south. Head gasket. Great!