Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• rolo77rolo77 Member Posts: 31
    Did you ever find out if the Road and Track package will be
    offered with the AWD.

Roland
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Still don't know about that. Will have to wait and see when the dealers get more info.
  • mitchwaasmitchwaas Member Posts: 2
    Hey all,

Brand new to these forums... 38 year old, real big guy from Fort Lauderdale FL. Was originally in the market to buy a new Honda Element, but found the engine pathetically anemic. Tried my 2nd choice, the Toyota RAV4, but found the seating to be pretty tight for me. Tested about a dozen other vehicles and during the process, I fell in love with the Magnum SXT AWD. I found the Magnum's combination of fuel economy, safety, and super cool looks totally irresistable.

I'm going to be going in and special ordering a fairly loaded 2006 SXT AWD in Black Crystal Pearl this Saturday, and had a few questions to ask. I just read thru the last 8 pages on here and didn't see any of these answered, so figured I'd ask, and will hopefully get a response before I goto buy on Sat.

1) Any problems with the self-sealing tires? Are these the "garbage" Continental tires everyone is mentioning? I read something about tire drift to the right in the 2005 RT model; would my current model have the same issue?

2) Any problems or issues with the load leveling and height control?

3) Are the power adjustable pedals worth getting? The model I test drove didn't have them, but I'm wondering if they really make much of a difference?

4) I would LOVE to get the Electronics Convenience Group, which seems (SADLY) to only be available on the RT and SRT8 models... sucks :( Does anyone happen to know if, since I'm special ordering this car anyway, Dodge will let me get it installed anyway? I'm hoping so, but haven't asked the dealer yet. I REALLY REALLY want the trip computer and info center... if it's a no go, might anyone know of a suitable aftermarket add-on I could use that handles this job adequately? I'm a TOTAL gadget freak and would love to have this on my ride!

Any other issues I should be on the lookout for?

Thanks!

Mitch =O )
  • sxtawdguysxtawdguy Member Posts: 4
    Hey Mitch

Got my 2006 SXT AWD 4 weeks ago, had test driven a lot of cars before, the last was a Dodge Caliber R/T, but car is too small for me. Like you, I felled in love with the Magnum.
    I don’t know if really need AWD (I live in Quebec, so it’s better to own an AWD), but pay attention to the fuel consummation. I have only driven 2000 miles with the car (50% city and 50% highway at 70 mph) and got an average of 18mpg (city 15mpg, highway 22 mpg), hope it will be better after the first oil change.

Unfortunately most in this board is about Magnum R/T, so it is difficult to get an opinion on SE or SXT.

I don’t have self-sealing tires or load leveling and height control, so I can’t tell you about, but I don’t think you need power adjustable pedals, unless you are less then 5’-0. :confuse:

Anyway the SXT AWD is a great car :blush:
  • lennyskylennysky Member Posts: 8
    I wanted to find out what kind of gas people are using in their Maggies and if there are any problems with it. The owners manual recommends using the mid-grade (89 octane) but says you can use the 87 octane (low grade). There is about 10 - 15 cent different in price per gallon, so I want to see if anyone found any problems with the lower grade gas. Let me know if you had any problems or found worse gas mileage or performance problems.
  • madtownmagmadtownmag Member Posts: 1
    Well it finally happens next week. I take possession of a Blue 2006 RT AWD, (a used 10K mileage), DCX Program car. It has every option except the roof rack, listed for $40,110, and I am paying $30K and will become the first titled owner with 26 months left on the warranty. I think/hope this is a decent deal. I have been reading this forum for about six months and am quite excited to join the "family". I live in Madison, WI. home to Subarus, Audis & Volvos; haven't seen more than 3 Magnums driving around here. :shades:
    Welcome to the family! Sounds like you're getting quite a girl! And, a pretty good deal! Enjoy and let us know how it feels to be the owner of a Maggie!
  • mike5806mike5806 Member Posts: 12
    I just brought home a 2005 special edition Magnum SXT which was a dealer demo (4800 miles on it). It is pretty much loaded (sticker $29310). My cost was $22995. Do not know how many of them are still out there. The 2005 also had the 7yr./70000 power train warranty, which has now been discontinued. Good luck.
  • andre1andre1 Member Posts: 85
    Does anyone know the following information regarding leasing a new 2005 or 2006 Magnum R/T RWD? My local dealers have a number of 2005 and 2006 on the lot and I was wondering if Chrysler is providing any subsidized leases.

Residual and money factor for the following:

24 month for 12K and 15K miles per year
    36 month for 12K and 15K miles per year
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I will read back, but considering a Magnum and wondering about real work MPG with the 3.5 vs the Hemi. Can owners share their experience?
  • mike5806mike5806 Member Posts: 12
    I have only had my 3.5 for a short while but am averaging 25-26 mpg on the road and 22-23 in mixed driving. My Magnum has about 5000 miles on it
  • sxtawdguysxtawdguy Member Posts: 4
    Look at message 1735

Have now 1000 miles more, city goes up to 17 mpg, highway is stable at 22 mpg.

But remember it's a AWD and I drive it hard :shades:
    I've had my 5.7L Hemi for about 3 months so far. Most of my mileage is city....and I get between 16 - 18 mpg. I have the electronics group, and it shows your running MPG, so when I do drive more highway, I can see the mileage increase. Wouldn't think it was as high as the 25 mpg they claim on the sticker.

What type of gas do people use in your cars? I was using 89 octane (mid grade) but switched to 87 due to price per gallon. Let me know if anyone has seen any problems with this.
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Member Posts: 42
    I have an '05 R/T AWD with 11,500 miles on the odometer. I installed an AFE cold air intake a month ago. I use 89 octane as several people whom I consider knowledgable warned me against using either higher or lower grades of octane.

With the Hemi I get between 14 and 16 mpg around town. On a recent round trip on the highway from Rochester to Boston I got 20 mpg at speeds between 75 and 85 mph.

I used to get 28 mpg on the highway with my 2000 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, but the Magnum is much more fun to drive!
  • gboomergboomer Member Posts: 6
    Bought my 2006 SXT RWD 3.5L yesterday. Tate Dodge - Annapolis Maryland
    Base Price $22,680
    Customer Preferred Pckg 27G $2,890
    3.5L V6 Engine $1,100
    Sirrius Satellite Radio $195
    Destination Charge $675
    Total MSRP $27,540

I paid $25,051
    price includes $1000 Chrysler Financial Bonus Cash
    Does not include tax, tags, title

I've also got a family on the way and this is a little more than I was initially looking to spend, but I decided it was worth a few more $$'s each month to walk into the parking lot and see the car I'd always wanted vs. the car that got better gas mileage or had a little more room. You could probably get them down another few hundred if you do your research and get some internet quotes. Walking into the dealer knowing the invoice price and what others are paying is invaluable.
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    06 r/t is what I bought. I sometimes forget about the fuel octane needs of my beast and have been doing fine on 87. My mileage is not up to EPA specs even with my right foot in my pocket. The engine sounds fine ith no knocking or pinging noticed. I have an alltime fuel high of 30.1 mpg following my moving truck 500 miles @ 55-60. This has not happened since nor anywhere near my 14 city 18 hwy that seems to be my norm. Have you done better or worse? Please all of you R/T"ers let me know your mpg's!
    I just got back from a road trip to Texas. 1700 miles, lots of high speed driving (75-80 MPH) with city driving thrown in (Houston, Galveston, San Antonio). Average for the whole trip was 22 MPG. Use 89 octane in my '05 RWD RT. Car was fully loaded with family & gear.
    I've had my R/T since February. If I can squeak out a longer trip, I can get up to 18 MPG. However, most of my driving is city, and I'm usually in the high 16's or low 17's. I usually use 89 octane. But.....with the temperature rising, and turning on the A/C more (even at the "auto" temp setting), I'm only getting 14 - 15 something MPG.
  • rehrauer99rehrauer99 Member Posts: 5
    I have the 06' AWD Hemi and I only use the 91 octane. The dealer (Dodge) I purchased the car from recommended with the 6/8 cylinder engine to use high octane gas. I have a friend with a SXT and he uses low grade gas and on take-offs it seems a bit sluggish.
  • romannumalromannumal Member Posts: 21
    the dvd player would be nice for my son and friends on long drivers to river. how much do you want for it? i have not problem giving up dome light. could you send pictures of it i have a e-mail. :)
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    We're trying to move away from some of the mega-discussions to make it easier for folks to find the info they're after. So we have a new one in the group titled Magnum Tire Questions & Suggestions and I've moved a recent thread of postings about tires to that discussion.

More discussions will be appearing over time.
  • 2005rtmag2005rtmag Member Posts: 7
    Wednesday July 5, I bought a new 2005 RT Magnum. It stickered $31,420 and I bought it for $22,249. I am registering it in NC, so I still have to pay NC sales tax (3%) and registration. It had 1,445 miles on it. Jim Burke Dodge here in Birmingham AL still has two more RTs. One is black with a sticker of $35k and 9k miles. One is Cool Vanilla and stickers for about $34k.
    If the freon is low, the evaporator will also freeze up. I suppose the dealer would have checked that????
  • ultraradultrarad Member Posts: 16
    Hey everyone - I've been reading this post for a while now and am wondering whether a used 2005 Magnum is a good idea?! There is a credit union near me who has one for around $21,000 - RT/ sunroof, Boston Acoustic, no navigation - 20k miles on it. Any words of wisdom for you guys and gals? I would like to upgrade from my 1991 Acura Legend Coupe and not kiss the ground every time I drive in Dallas traffic - *grin* I'm starting to wonder if I should just keep saving my cash and wait til the 2007's come out. Any tips/help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Fred..
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Congratulations on your new Magnum! Post your first impressions here!
    July 5,2006, I bought a new leftover 2005 Magnum RT. It stickered for $31,420 and I bought it for $22,249 out the door in AL. Then I paid $690 to NC for taxes and registration. It was new, never titled, but it did have 1,445 miles on it.
    It replaced a 95 Mark VIII Lincoln that was an incredible car in my opinion.

The RT is quiet, powerful, plenty of leg room front and back. I find the seat to be a little hard, but with the adjustable pedals, telescoping/tilt steering wheel and the 8 way power seat, I was able to be quite comfortable. I drove it 565 miles each way from AL to NC and back. My Mark (280hp) usually got 28mpg going and 26 coming back(premium). I checked one tank going and it averaged 22.4mpg. The tires were at 32psig. I pumped up those contiseals to 45psig coming back and it averaged 22.8mpg for the whole trip back. Most of the trip is interstate 20 with a 70mph speed limt. I set the cruise on 80 everywhere possible. I did NOT experience the pull to the right that many drivers speak of. The check engine light came on at one point. I think it did that so I wouldn't miss my Mark so much. I may not have tightened the gas cap enough. It went away and has not reappeared. It appears to use a little oil. It was 1/3 qt. low when I bought it and after driving it 700 or so miles including the interstate trip to NC, it was 1/2 qt low. My Mark did not use any oil even with 113k miles on it.
    Overall, I think it is a worthy replacement for my Mark that I owned for 9 years. I am very happy so far.
  • willspencewillspence Member Posts: 1
    I bought a used '05 (on eBay for $17k). Very happy. Bought it @11k miles, at 18k the rear pinion seal developed a leak, dealer repaired free under warranty. Otherwise flawless.

Bill
    Looking to buy the magnum 07 steel blue with road and track package, a couple of questions if I install a Mopar Cold air intake, will the car still be covered under warranty I heard that there are problems of water sucking up into the engine, if so would the warranty cover this if its mopar intake. Also thinking about adding Trailer Tow Prep Group, basically for better cooling, since I will be living in a hot place San Antonio and will have a lot of stop and go driving will this package help at all. Also with the 07 any chance dodge will follow suit with ford and extend their warranties, thanks I have been overseas Military last 6 years coming home and looking for a Car, tried buying a MKZ 07, but was told by the overseas dealer the car may not be ready by NOV 15th the day of my return, so the Magnum is the choice

Chief
    I have an AFE cold air intake on my 2005 Magnum R/T AWD. There's no problem with water getting into the engine as the AFE CAI replaces the standard air filter and uses the same air inflow as the stock filter. Check out the AFE website (www.afefilters.com). The CAI sounds awesome with the Hemi at full throttle. It is supposed to add 10 more horse power and give a bit better gas mileage, but both are hard to measure.
    Thanks for the help
    Military overseas just priced with the dealer the Magnum 07

are you ready for this the road and track package

performance group msrp 3192.00 and will be available

after OCT 1st, so I ran back to the Lincoln side of

the house and put a down payment on the MKZ 07

the price of the magnum was worth it but only 1700.00

MSRP, the Great warranty at Lincoln was just to hard to

pass up and they gave me 3450.00 off MSRP, but boy

I wanted to hear this magnum cat purr!!

See my post in Lincoln for the new MKZ colors for 07

Chief
  • buckangusbuckangus Member Posts: 3
    Let me beg you ... don't buy the dodge magnum ... I bought a 2005 brand new june 30th and it's been in the shop 11 days since ... it rattles, vibrates, generally a big expensive piece of crap and chrysler won't help ... this is the 3rd chrysler product purchased in less than a year totalling $80,000 in sticker values... wouldn't you think I'd be a good customer? Wrong -- Chrysler doesn't care and won't help me ... oh, forgot to add -- does OK on gas mileage... however, poor quality, poor customer service, poor dealer support ... what else can you ask for?

jeff
    Oh, let me say, I'll never buy another dodge or chrysler product after my nightmare with my brand new 2005 dodge magnum. this is the 3rd brand new chrysler product in less than a year, stickers totalling $80,000, so I thought I would be a good customer? NOPE! They don't care! The dodge magnum is the biggest piece of crap I've ever owned and unable to get the rattles, vibrations, noises out of it. Just a poorly made car ... let me beg you -- don't buy one of these! You'll be sorry --- bad quality, bad (or no) customer support -- would I come back? I think Not!

jeff
    Do you know why there are no more than 3 magnums driving around your area? Cause people don't want them. They are a poorly made, poorly designed big piece of crap car ... if you havent bought, stop, stop and dont buy ... save your headaches, money and time and buy something else ... you'll be sorry if you buy one of these monstrosities...
    I too had a rocky start with my Magnum R/T AWD. The car was in the shop 14 times in 5 months (see my earlier postings). However, the car has settled down now and hasn't had any problems for 3 whole months!

There are plenty of reasons to buy a Magnum: it's a hoot to drive. It's one of the the coolest looking cars on the road today - I've had many people come up to me to admire and enquire about the car (that never happened with all the Saabs and Volvos I've owned). The price is awesome compared to all other high performance wagons out there (i.e. Saab 9-5 Aero or Volvo V70R at $48,000). The Hemi sounds great with a CAI. It's very roomy and comfortable and has a lot of trunk space. Its got great safety ratings (important to an ex-Saab/Volvo owner). The Magnum performs extremely well with AWD and four Continental snow tires in the severe winter weather conditions of Upstate NY and Vermont. It's a hoot to drive (did I say that already?). The local Dodge dealer here in Rochester, NY has been good about servicing the numerous problems at the start. As this is my first American car ever, I did purchase a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty out to 7 years or 100K miles to be safe (I drive 20K miles a year).

To sum it up, I love my Magnum. I was disappointed with the quality and reliability for the first 4-5 months, but the local Dodge dealer was good about fixing the issues. It seems to be doing well since then and I've got my fingers crossed. The only real downer is the gas mileage at $3.15 per gallon. I get at most 16mpg around town and 19-20mpg on the highway at 75mph.
    I respectfully disagree. I bought my 2005 Magnum RT in October of 2004. The only significant issue I have had with it was the crappy Continental tires that came standard on it and only lasted 16000 miles. The car drives great, is solid and quiet as a bank vault, hauls our stuff, goes like a bat out of you know where yet still can get 25MPG on the highway, and is so distinctive on the road. There is nothing out there that can compare with the Magnum RT's value, practicality, and performance for anywhere within $20,000 of the price. I am sorry that you got a lemon, because my experience with this car has been superb. If mine was stolen tomorrow I would be getting another one just like it ASAP.
  • peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    A little background would be nice.
  • edvmedvm Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 Magnum (3.5L) 60K miles. Had car alignment checked - ok, tires changed twice ($750), balanced. I even had both front bearing replaced (at $280 each..ouch!). Still I experience a noticable VIBRATION in the steering wheel, floor, dash and seat. It becomes more noticable from 40 MPH and up. It is getting more noticable in the last 2K miles. Cannot figure if it is a harmonic problem (transmission -rear wheel drive). Feels like bad bearings (but both are now brand new). Note: when my mechanic ordered them they were on back order nation wide. Are others needing new ones this soon? I begin to wonder if the bearing design is flawed. The front bearing use a roller bearing on the inside and a ball bearing (like bycicle bearings) on the outer. Any one else experience the same problem? It's extremely frustrating feeling the constant vibration. Any solutions?

Edvm
  • toalgangtoalgang Member Posts: 3
    I am having this EXACT same problem, AND along with my ESP/BAS lights are on. I purchased my 2006 Magnum RT about a month ago with 18k miles. Started noticing the bad vibration - only way I can describe is like when you're on the highway and you get too close to the side and the grooves in the road make your car vibrate. That's what my Magnum does and it almost seems as if it is having a hard time switching gears. Like yours, the problem has progressively become worse - especially in the last few weeks of holiday driving. I'm dreading taking my car to the dealership so bad I'm just about in tears. I dread the whole, "We've fixed this and we've fixed that, but can't seem to remedy your problem. We'll just have to keep it another 2 weeks and figure it out." I plan on researching it some more online, but if you could, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep me updated on your progress and if/how your Magnum gets fixed. Thanks and good luck!
  • magnum1961magnum1961 Member Posts: 1
    Water the in transmission caused my 2005 RT to shudder at 40 mph. I have been following this thread for quite a while and want to share my own experiences with everyone. I ran through standing water in Mentor Ohio and the shuddering started immediately. The dealer there knew nothing and said I had water in a spark plug well. This was not the problem (no way, Jose) and the shuddering continued. After I returned to Illinois the problem was gone until I hit more standing water a few months later. Again the shuddering started almost immediately but this time it did not go away. The dealer in Libertyville didn’t know about the TSB until I brought it to his attention (the problem is the leaky 0-ring and affects certain 2005 RT’s). The dealer then said he couldn’t reproduce the problem and gave me the run around. Thoroughly ticked off and thinking I would never get any satisfaction I took the car to Gurnee Dodge. Their tech, Colin, took the car for a drive with me as passenger and made it flunk half a dozen tests. The car made noises I hadn’t heard before. I have rebuilt transmissions and as far as I am concerned he is one of the very best: he advises other dealerships and provides input to the engineering department at the factory. Daimler Benz refused to exchange the transmission (our first option) so we performed the TSB: fluid change, filters and new seal at the dipstick tube. This didn’t work because water-contaminated fluid remained in the torque converter. Colin then replaced the converter and went through the transmission, replacing the pump seal only. He told me that the Mercedes transmission has an excellent reputation and the clutch in the torque converter is what chatters and causes the shuddering. I was concerned that he didn’t replace all of the clutches in the transmission as well because I thought contaminated fluid would get into all of the clutch linings. After the repairs there was slight shuddering on the 4th-5th gear change. I trust Colin’s judgment so I kept on driving the car. A week later it is as good as the day I bought it. A few days ago it rained hard again and I was hydroplaning across the puddles. Still no problems. My Magnum is still perfect! I hope this account helps anyone else that may have had or is still having the same problem.
  • mek0123mek0123 Member Posts: 33
    Have you folks who have this vibration problem had your rotors checked for warpage? I have an '01 Grand Caravan ES and replaced the rotors (3rd time with 173K on van) with Bosch brand 5 yr warrantied rotors and less than two weeks later, there was about 10" of standing water after a downpour that I had no choice but to negotiate. Rotors were warped on my next stop attempt and vibration suddenly returned. Just an idea that a decent brake shop can verify. Next set of rotors after these Bosch brand are out of warranty will be cross-drilled high performance. Good luck.
  • peterskmpeterskm Member Posts: 79
    Stay away from cross-drilled rotors. Cross-drilling rotors actually weakens them and could cause them to crack. A better option is slotted rotors. If you want them for cosmetics, you can get dimpled rotors which give you the cross-drilled look without compromising the rotors' strength.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Stay away from cross-drilled rotors. Cross-drilling rotors actually weakens them and could cause them to crack."

That used to be the case with rotors with poorly planned and/executed drillings. With CAD designed drilling layouts and proper quality control that are used on quality rotors (PowerStop, Brembo and others) weakend and cracked rotors are very much a thing of the past.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • zimsmagnumzimsmagnum Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my 2006 Magnum R/T AWD 3 weeks ago. Ten days later we were hit with 20" of snow (where else but Buffalo NY). The car handled extremely well, plowed thru with no problem. My main concern was possible damage driving over downed tree limbs but no damage, yeah...
    Initial thoughts on the Magnum:
    - Love the hemi (thought I was done with my 2nd childhood)
    - Gas mileage...if I wanted better gas mileage I would have bought a different car. But then again, ask me if and when gasoline reaches $5.00/gal
    - 2 continental tires had to be replaced by the dealer (slipped belts). Tracking tire concerns thru this forum.
    - Stalk controls for wipers,speed control were confusing at first
    - Plenty of room for passangers and cargo.
    All in all extremely pleased with car. This is the 1st American made (well, actually Canadian) car I've bought in over 20 years. Will be interesting to see how well it holds up, even with the extended warranty.
  • nikdfishnikdfish Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my '05 AWD RT off the lot in Aug. of 2005 and put 23K miles on it since then and have enjoyed every mile. The only repair items have been replacing the parking brake release handle the week I purchased it and having the leaky transmission O-ring fix done at 19K (had the repair done when I dropped it off for an oil change, no big deal ...).
    No problems with pull, "crowning" or uneven tire wear (although I do run 5-7 lb more pressure than the sticker).

Drives & handles great on everything from interstates to gravel back roads in the WV mountains. Love the power and sure-footed feel. For comparison, it has a turning radius smaller than that of my old PT Cruiser GT turbo, and stops shorter from 60 mph by a couple of feet even though it weighs 1000 lb more!

Although not equipped with the tow package's self leveling shocks, I have had absolutely no problem with towing trailers up to 3400 lb total weight with tongue weights up to 290 lb (using a HiddenHitch hitch, not the Mopar "invisible" hitch). AWD plus 4 wheel disc ABS is a real plus there.

People talk about the "bare" interior, but I prefer an unpretentious, functional, interior to one dolled up with fake wood, "leatherette", and fake chrome. Hands down, this is the preferred vehicle for long family road trips.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    Well, your post scared me off enough that I went for a Saab 9-5 wagon to avoid the problems you spoke of. The Magnum SXT was in serious contention -- I love the storage space and the comfort. I'm a previous Saab owner and while I hate the lack of utility up front (poor cubby/pocket/cupholder space), it's otherwise got plenty of room, is equally distinctive in looks, and with 260 hp and a powerful turbo, it hauls you know what! Hope you were right. The one thing Dodge (and the Jeep I traded) have is very thoughtfully designed storage space and nice quiet rides. I miss my Jeep center console! (On the other hand, I now get killer mileage (20/28)...
    For the price of a Saab 9-5 you should have looked at the Magnum R/T AWD. The SXT is not a fair comparison.

After owning a Saab 9-5 Aero wagon for 6 years I went for a 2005 Magnum R/T AWD. I was very disappointed with the quality and reliability of the Saab over the 6 years I owned it. It was my third Saab, but the first one to not measure up on quality. The Saab Aero handled better, but was hobbled by front wheel drive. You need AWD with that kind of power. The Magnum offers more leg room than the Saab both front and back - my two boys and I are all well over 6 feet tall.

Saab's engine doesn't even come close to the 5.7L hemi with an after market AFE cold air intake - 350hp and zero to sixty in around 5.7 seconds!

The Magnum R/T with AWD and 4 high-speed rated Continental snow tires handled last winter in Upstate New York and Vermont as well as any Saab I've owned, in spite of it weighing 500lb more than the 9-5.

(I also considered the Volvo V70R, but it was $18,000 more than the Magnum and had NO room in the front seats.)
  • billwfriendbillwfriend Member Posts: 44
    I'll be in the market for a wagon type vehicle come the end of April 2007, and I'm currently considering a used Dodge Magnum to replace my leased 04 Honda Oddysey to haul the wife and kids around in. I'll be looking at around $14k at that time, so the AWD and RT models are out of the questions.

I live in Wisconsin, so I'm concerned about how the RWD Magnum handles in the snow! Anyone have any experience to share on this subject?

Also, I'm heard a few complaints regarding the reliability of the 2.7 engine... should I only look at Magnums with the 3.5 then?

Thanks!
    Having lived in snowy climes all my life I would NOT recommend buying a RWD car, especially one as big and heavy as a Magnum. Go AWD if you can, otherwise stick with FWD. Safety first when hauling the family. (I have a good friend in Spokane whose whole family survived a roll-over accident in their Honda Odyssey after his wife fell asleep at the wheel!)
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    To bbfd86, yeah I know Saabs have issues. It's actually really odd that I returned to Saab since I had a sort of love/hate thing with my previous one, an 02 arc wagon. And I agree this newer one has some very apparent build quality issues in terms of interior materials and the odd rattles. I actually test drove both an SXT and an R/T Magnum. I found 340 hp on the R/T to be an insane amount of power to drive my son to school or hit the local starbucks. But otherwise, I did love the comfort of the cabin, the seats, etc. Didn't love the cargo area -- just so cramped. But ultimately, I just don't trust Dodge/Chrysler. Maybe if in a couple of years, I hear better things in terms of reliability, I'll look again. I know, GM really isn't any better, but I just went with what was familiar.