Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• magnum357magnum357 Member Posts: 1
    Looking to purchase new tires for 2005 RT.Would like some feed back.
  • lkazistalkazista Member Posts: 1
    Hey all,

I am interested in a Magnum to replace my existing T&C. I am curious if anyone out ther has actually measured the back of the car to see what the height vs width works out to be.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Lee
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    We replaced our T&C with a Magnum RT in Oct. of 2004. I never measured, but the difference in space is dramatic. Far less utility in the Magnum. That said, I love the drive, ride, & power of the Magnum. The thing we really miss is no third row, which we need from time to time. The Magnum does have considerably mmore luggage space than the 300C, which we were also considering at the time.
  • vinny68vinny68 Member Posts: 7
    I traded my '00 Grand Caravan for a ne '06 Magnum RT. I think that everything I used to fit behind the third row of the GC can now fit in the back or the Magnum. I figure what I lost was the space in the third row seating area. For me, the trade-off is well worth it in performance and fun-to-drive gains.
  • vinny68vinny68 Member Posts: 7
    I have an '06 Magnum RT and was hesitant with the first snowfall here in Illinois but it handled great in the snow! I think the idea that rear wheel driven vehicles can't handle well in snow/ice conditions is a little outdated. There have been lots of advances in tire compounds, electronic stability programs and anti-lock brakes since large rear wheel drive cars were popular many years ago. Now I would not hesitiate to drive my Magnum anywhere in any conditions.
  • lrs5lrs5 Member Posts: 1
    Could not agree with you more! I also have an '05 Magnum and have had nothing but problems with the front end. Has been "fixed" many times and TSB performed (which if you read this TSB it is a joke how they fix the problem). Have had to replace tires at 30,000 miles and front suspension is worn the vehicle now scrapes on the smallest bump. Steering wheel is not centered,turns harder to one side than the other and so on. This is my fourth (and last) Chrysler vehicle since 1997 and your right,they refuse to acknowledge that this is a problem. They don't even respond to the numerous times I have contacted them.
    And maybe all of these "new" problems with the steering rack and steering vibration are related to this. (I have not had this particular problem yet, but my car does not drive straight either) As I believe this "fix" has already been applied to these vehicles because there is no real fix for this problem,only the TSB used to disguise the design flaw and tell the consumer the vehicle is "road crown sensitive". EVERYONE needs to contact the NHTSA and file a complaint about the front end and get them to start a defect investigation. It is not right to pass the cost of their engineering flaw on to the consumer. This is the only way Chrysler is really going to fix these vehicles.

And those of you who think your car rides correctly, are you sure your not just willing to settle for the road crown excuse. No new car should drive this way.
  • uddriveruddriver Member Posts: 6
    I have an 05 SXT and have been pleasantly suprised with the handling in snowy Michigan. I traded in my 01 Deville with front wheel drive and previous to that I owned a Saab 900 and Audi A6 Quattro. While it can't compare to the Quattro for traction, I haven't been stranded or felt unsafe. With the stability and traction control, the car manages quite well. Don't let people scare you, this car handles well.
  • jacktbjacktb Member Posts: 41
    After reading these posts concerning front end vibration and suspension issues, I felt compelled to add my experiences. I have an '05 Hemi Magnum purchased new in October 2004. In 2 plus years of ownership, this vehicle has been nearly flawless. The interior, although laden with plastic, remains tight and rattle-free. I have had this car up to 100 mph with no vibrations or rattle issues. The vehicle is stock with original tires and brakes.

These experiences make me wonder if there is a design flaw in the car or something is happening during the build process. This may explain why some cars have issues while others remain problem free. I would be interested to know the build date of these cars. Mine was assembled in September 2004.

Just a thought.
    I have an '05 Magnum RT that was built and leased at the same time as yours. Other than the worthless Continental tires, which lasted only 16,000 miles, my experience has been very similar to yours. The car has been great and I enjoy it very much. I unreservedly recommend it to all.
    I completely agree on the tires. The Continental tires seem too soft and not the best choice for this application.

Since I am approaching replacement, what brand/model did you choose and are they any good? I understand the Cooper is a good replacement and I have run them in the past with no problem. --Thanks.
    Actually, I put the Cooper Touring SLE tires in exact replacement size on my Magnum at 16,000 miles and after 14,000 miles they show very little wear. I have also had excellent experience with Cooper tires and put them on all of our vehicles when the stock tires go. The car rides and drives like a different car with the Coopers as compared to the Continentals it came with. I wish the car had the Coopers on it from the factory. They would still be on the car instead of me having to replace them like I did the Continentals!
    Thanks for the reply. I'll be getting a set of those soon as I've heard similar good reports from others. --Jack
  • julieblijuliebli Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 Magnum SE and drove it for 1 1/2 years. I was totally in love with this car. It was a dream of a car, and never had any problems with it. I decided to upgrade, so traded it in for a 2006 Magnum SXT AWD. . . and my nightmare began. In the six months since driving this car of the lot, it has been in the shop at least 10 times. My dealer has been great throughout this ordeal . . . they now come and pick my car up and leave me a rental. Aside from the numerous unrelated problems I have had with the car (some of them were the fault of the Service Department at my dealer), I am having a problem with the front end. When I hit between 60-65 mph on the freeway I can feel a "shimmy" in the front end (you can actually see the steering wheel move back & forth). The dealer has balanced the wheels twice and called it fixed. The balancing didn't work the first time they tried it, so not sure why they thought it would work the second time. In addition it has the pulling to the right issue (was happy to read the other messages regarding this issue, along with a possible fix). Does anybody have any ideas regarding the "shimmy"? I have had so many problems with this particular car, that I toyed with the idea of trading it in (for another Magnum SXT AWD, of course). Unfortunately, after crunching the numbers I decided that was not an option.
  • zimsmagnumzimsmagnum Member Posts: 2
    Since there have been no replies, let me throw my 2 cents in.... I bought a 2006 R/T AWD last Oct. Had to have the rear tires (original Continentals) replaced due to slipped bands and am in the process of having the dealer replace the other 2 due to same issue (all under warranty). Reason why I bring it up, did you have your dealer balance the front tires and then place them in the rear? If the shimmy then transfers to the rear (you can feel it thru your seat), it's tires and not the front end. Again, just my 2 cents. Good luck......
  • kecajkecaj Member Posts: 4
    I took Magnum out for a ride first time about 3 years ago. I fell in love with this car. As of last week I finally parked my own in garage. Black R/T with HEMI. It is a great car. :)
  • kecajkecaj Member Posts: 4
    Why not 93 oct gas? It was news to me when I heard that Dodge recommends 89. I have feeling that 93 will do it good. Any ideas???? :confuse:
  • caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    The grade of gas is relative to the compression of the motor. I just stuck with 89, I have a Dodge too.
  • jacksoajacksoa Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum with 19700 miles which I purchased new in March 2005. My car has been stalling off and on and the dealership couldn't find anything wrong with it. Finally, my car broke down on a trip a couple of weeks ago. The car wouldn't accelerate in any direction (reverse or drive). I was 2 hours away from home but luckily I was near a gas station. I had to pay over $200 to have my car towed to my home city. Chrysler would only pay 23 miles of the towing since there was a dealer nearby. Only problem was this was Good Friday and the dealership assured me they would not be able to repair my car that weekend. So rather than leaving my car two hours away from home, I paid for the excess towing. At any rate, the part needed to fix my car was on national backorder. The dealership called me yesterday evening to alert me that my car was ready but the service engine light is on. When asked what caused the service engine light, which was not on when I took my car in, they responded, 'Problems with the aftermarket sound system'. I have had my remote start alarm system and sound system since two weeks after purchasing my car. I started having trouble after about 15000 miles and the dealership wants to blame everything on those installed components. Not even going to mention the trouble I had getting Chrysler to pay for a rental until my car, which has full warranty, was repaired. I pick up my car today; can't wait to share more comments.
  • goofytimlgoofytiml Member Posts: 41
    I could understand throwing some codes perhaps, but not a CEL due to a remote start. That's just bogus. On the other hand you don't really mention what it was that they fixed for the transmission. It's sounds like you went into "limp" mode, which would allow only a slow drive somewhere (no spped or acceleration).

Have you had any other services performed by this dealership? If so, they would be aware of the "aftermarket parts" and should have a record of no codes or CEL then... so you can feed that back to them.

I've had three LX vehicles now ('05 300C traded for my '07 MSRT8, and an '06 300C Heritage Edtiion) and have had no tranny troubles with any of them over a total, combined 33k miles.
  • jacksoajacksoa Member Posts: 2
    I hadn't had any work performed at the dealership prior to the transmission trouble. The transmission trouble ended up being something related to leaks and the o-ring. I have my car back but now it rides sluggishly; not the performance I expected from an RT. Also, now I here a clunking noise; not sure where it is coming from.
  • goofytimlgoofytiml Member Posts: 41
    Here's our current LX stable... we like them both... A LOT!

• caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    Those are SHARP! I love the front ends!
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    looking good
  • bhigbhil1946bhigbhil1946 Member Posts: 4
    While stationed in the Republic of Korea, I first saw this most awesome vehicle, advertised in Candy Apple Pearl. As an old Mopar owner going back to 1960, I believe in the adages of “Never drive an ugly car” and “There is no substitute of horsepower”. I fell in Love with it. When we returned we rented a Hemi All Wheel Drive for two weeks and we were both impressed, awed and in LOVE even though it was a Light Metallic Green (Yuk). Then we walked onto the Dodge Emporium and Sara saw an SRT8 sporting that paint job. Sticker Shock!! Thankfully, the salesman said, “If you like that, then you might like this one”. And we saw our Magnum RT All Wheel Drive Candy Apple Pearl Sports Car!!! And to really spice up the whole deal, it was sporting a True Cold Air Induction Hemi Shaker intake system. It works and adds a total new aura to the car. First, it is all the good things that others have said about it. We drive around with great big grins on our faces all the time! Great room, ride, performance, comfort, all in one great big package. My dad’s first new Chrysler was in 1949, I grew up in them, Dodges, Plymouths, and Imperials, until they stopped making them. They need to use this chassis to bring that marquee back. Now the Hemi Shaker story. It was dealer installed and looks almost exactly like the real things from the 70’s. The car is Dr. Hyde and Mr. Jeckal; one moment the pillar of an expensive road car, big, roomy, quiet, comfortable, and then you nudge the loud pedal and all hell begins to unfold, directly proportional that the amount of the NUNDGE! After you learn to drive it, you can have a most enjoyable, soul stirring ride; that ungodly good sound of a big Vee Eight, that nothing short of twelve cylinders can make, and the rapid movement forward with a chest thumping shove back into the seat and smooth shift to second and roll out of it at FORTY MILES PER HOUR! You can’t git it any better. If you like big powerful cars, then you HAVE to have a MAGNUM HEMI. Do not buy the Shaker CIA if you don’t like having people come up, old and young and ask “what is that?” or “Is it real” or “Can I see it?”. We have been to car shows and it has created many great comments and “Why is it not in the show?” a ton of times. No matter what ills you, bad day at the office, mower aint mowin’, just get in this time machine and it will put a smile on your face in a few miles of cruzin’. Oh, yeah, that Shaker Hood sticks out thru a big hole in the hood. This hole also allows a few nice sounds to come out over the standard hood. So far many have asked is that a blower they hear; not really bit it’s the serpentine belt noise now being heard outside only. Plus it also lets out more of the FOUR BARREL UNSILENED AIRCLEANER OF YORE sound. You learn to make her growl with a educated toe that makes it fun just accelerating only three or four mile per hour!! Plenty of fun; all the way down the road. We added the Extended Warranty to Six Years, as we knew it was going to be a KEEPER! You will want to go get in it and drive around having fun, best thing in the world that you can do with your clothes on is all I can say.
    Just left the site, it up and well, and it sports MY Candy Apple Pearl Red Mangun RT. Well it looks just like mine except we have a true Cold Air Induction Hemi Shaker System that is unbelievebly good looking and working. Super Kool!
  • b66b66 Member Posts: 1
    Bought my black 2007 R/T last Friday and I love it. My friends and family love it too--from 7 years old to 79 years old. I find it amazing how the style of this car appeals to such a wide range of ages and sexes. I test drove over 20 cars before deciding on the Magnum and it was the easiest car buying decision I've ever made. No butterflies, no buyers remorse, no fear of debt. Just lust...

I'm 41 and have owned several cars including a few new ones and I have never been so impressed with a car before. Keep it up Dodge, you're right on target. Incidentally, this is my first Chrysler product.
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    I've had my Magnum for 16 months now and just hit 32K miles. It is a company vehicle, so 2.7L and white exterior were mandatory and about as far away from the Hemi and black that I would buy for myself. I'm a GM guy at heart and my other choice was the new body-style Impala but the Magnum has far more style so I went for it. I will say that this rig has been dead reliable and hasn't been back to the dealer for anything. I haven't ever had that happen over the last 10 or so cars.

Pros:

*even base model w/hubcaps looks great after dark tint added
    *still gets attention in the neighborhood & at gas stations
    *excellent ride/handling
    *great room and comfort throughout
    *quiet inside
    *base stereo/speakers decent

Cons:

*woefully underpowered with 2.7L - passing on a 2-lane road requires additional life insurance
    *really gets blown around in crosswinds
    *mileage so-so at 22 mixed, worse than same engine in previous Intrepid
    *bottoms out in middle of car with passenger load while going up inclined parking lot ramps
    *cargo cover rattles

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• clecayenneclecayenne Member Posts: 8
    The R/T Magnum dosen't come with AWD so it's either Hemi or AWD, but I still totally agree with you
    The RT is available in both RWD and AWD, and has been so since some time in 2005.
  • coolridercoolrider Member Posts: 84
    wrong
  • clecayenneclecayenne Member Posts: 8
    Oppps :blush:
  • cavuucavuu Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my Magnun SE in Sept 2004

Pros
    -good gas mileage -average since new 24mpg -hwy 27
    -very quiet
    -good cornering
    -looks good

Cons
    -vibration and pulling to the right since new.. 2 new tires, balanced twice, aligned twice, TSB kit added.. still pulls.. Chrysler said it's crown sensitive
    -rear brakes seized at 28K Kms not covered under warranty!
    -intermittent wipers failed twice
    -front struts failed at 38K Kms
    -ESP/BAS module has failed 4 times and has not worked since April.. dealer has no idea how to fix it!!
    -rear left window will not go down..still broken
    -resale value 45%

Applied to the Vehicle Arbitration Board (Lemon Law)to have Chrysler buy back the car.
    HAPPY DAY :) Just got the letter in the mail today. I won my appeal and Chrysler is taking the car back

Synopsis:
    I have owned dozens of cars and this without any question has been the worst vehicle I have ever owned! Chrysler has been absolutely terrible in handling the never ending problems. You cannot get past the first level of customer service. Management cannot be contacted to discuss problem. The only time they showed any interest is when they were faced with a buy back.
  • bigpimpingbigpimping Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my 06 used with 26k on the motor. I'm totally satisfied with the car :) , my magnum is very roomy seats are comfortable. I have plenty of leg, shoulder and head clearance with my 390 pound 6'4 frame I have plenty of room. Its very easy to get a speeding ticket ,when I get on the freeway and push the pedal it shots to 80-85 quickly. I get great gas mileage city and highway I run 93 oct. Engine light came on one time I tighten the gas cap ,light went off. I going to put this out there and you be the judge, before I purchased my Magnum 06 I test drove a BMW 2007 BMW 745I it was a let down. I get a better driving satisfaction from my magnum plus kept about 50k in my pocket. :) Most of my peers that own magnums have change the tires and put 22in rims on the car. thought about doing the same until I talked to my mechanic he inform me that over a period time big shine rims will give me big costly suspension problems don't need it ,I did add some chrome 17in rims and continental tire I love the feel. I guess you can tell I LUV MY 06 MAGNUM.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    No posts here since July?
    Lack of interest in this vehicle.

Chrysler is axing the Magnum along with PT and Pacifica.
  • tomgraingertomgrainger Member Posts: 3
    Yes, what a shame. It's definitely still one of the most distinctive cars on the road and with the Hemi it's hard to believe you are actually driving a station wagon.

How do you think this will affect resale values of 08 Magnums say in 2,3 years time? I'm looking at getting an 08 R/T while I still can.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    It probably won't be great in 2 or three years, but since it's distinctive and your don't see them everyday, maybe it will be a classic in 30 years.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    I heard it is the PT Cruiser Convertible which is being axed and that the hard top will still be made.
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Member Posts: 42
    The sales manager at the dealership where I purchased my '05 R/T AWD Magnum thought that resale prices would be nehanced. Its a real shame. This dealership sells a lot of Magnums, both new and used. Guess I'll just have to keep mine until it falls apart...
  • pagetpaget Member Posts: 7
    I have a problem where I get "Disc Error" on 2-3 slots on the disc changer, if I eject then reload it fixes the problem....or worse a disc will be playing then nothing, have to change disc then change back and it will work fine. Taken it to the dealer where they couldn't make it fail, when I picked it up it failed on the drive home. I took it back so they could see the failure first hand....however they can't see where its been a problem for anyone else so they haven't "condemned" it yet. BTW this happens weekly on both store bought and other discs.

Anyone else have this issue?
    I've had this problem from the start (I have a 2005 R/T AWD). The dealer replaced two radios under warranty before giving up. They told me this is due to my home-burned CD's. It doesn't seem to happen to store-bought CD's. I've learned to live with it, but it is annoying.
  • rockymtnsrockymtns Member Posts: 2
    First off I absolutely love my RT AWD! Great in the mountains, great in the snow! But I'm starting to have compter problems from the remote keyless entry failing rendering the car useless & the integrated module board going bad starting with my windshield wipers not working & was told it would only get worse from there. Anyone else having this kind of problem?
  • jacklioneljacklionel Member Posts: 29
    I just bought a NOS 2006 Magnum R/T AWD. I take delivery tomorrow. I just found this forum; I'm assuming there are threads relating to chips, headers, etc.

Hey rockymtns, do you need snow tires with your AWD (the stock tires are pretty aggressive; definitely not "all-season-radials")?
    I live in Rochester, NY and have a 2005 R/T AWD. I run with 4 Continental V-rated snow tires in the winter. My Magnum can handle anything with AWD and these snow tires - ice and snow in the mountains of Vermont as well as the lake effect snowfalls of upstate New York.
    I have an AFE cold air intake in my 2005 R/T AWD. The sound is awesome!
  • rockymtnsrockymtns Member Posts: 2
    I had no problems with the stock tires in the snow with the AWD! The car plowed through 18" + with no problems. I live on a road that doesn't always get plowed right away in the foothills. I feel better in my Magnum then my 4WD Tahoe! Have fun.
    Yes, the big hole lets out neat sounds. I have been asked if there is a blower under there; I merely say, I don't know if there is. All I know is the thing is blindingly fast, sounds great and we have tons of questions to answer everytime we stop of anything. Keep on Motoring Dude
    Bhig Bhil and Sara
    I get it that it makes a noise. But is it a good noise? For example, I once put duals and free-flow mufflers on a car that had a pretty mild stage of tune (even though I also changed the cam). But it was an automatic, and all it did was make the car noisier and let out a sort of sickly moan under most conditions.

(I believe that this is true in general, by the way. If you tie any engine to an automatic transmission (except, perhaps a full-race mill), the pipes just are not going to sound that good, not anywhere near as good as the same engine with a stick. Also, the converters act as mufflers and tame the great "bark" and "rap" of a hot engine. The results just don't sound that good.)

My Grand National sounds pretty good with a free-flow induction and exhaust system, but that's partially because you can hear the turbo whine (plus that engine is really tuned to kill). In that car, both the converter and the turbo itself serve to kill the "bark." When I put in the converter bypass pipe at the strip, the engine put out a terrific roar and trailing rap.

So I ask two questions: first, under what conditions do you notice the sound; just under acceleration conditions, or does it give off an annoying moan at cruise? (and what about at idle, i'm assuming not much there, right?). Secondly, does it make a sound you really want to hear, or is it just sort of sickly loud?

(I am interested, but I would really like to hear one before I spent the money on my car. The difference in power just isn't that great. Is 12(?) HP really noticeable when added to 340?).

Has anyone bought one of the chip/reprogrammers available?
  • shogunsamashogunsama Member Posts: 3
    Does any one have any idea of how to change the foglight bulbs on the magnum? My owners manual says to take it to the dealer, but they want $125 to change the bulb! Must be a picture or directions somewhere, so an old shadetree mechanic would know how to take apart the front end, to replace the bulb in a couple of hours. Any ides please?
    They probably have to remove the engine first.

(Seriously, this would be a good bit of information to have).
  • shogunsamashogunsama Member Posts: 3
    Still looking for some assistance/ guidelines on how to change those fog lights. Hate like heck to just crawl under and start dis-assembling the front bumper, but if no one can answer this looks like that is what I'll have to do.