Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

1282930313234»

Comments

• friscomagnumfriscomagnum Member Posts: 3
    I have come across a great video of a black magnum crashing
    through a huge storefront glass window. This driver must've got
    it after its airbags blew because he didn't fare too well...
    but the crash scenes kcik [non-permissible content removed]! I want to get some stills for my
    screensaver gallery. :shades:

P.S.
    season 6, episode 9: CSI Miami, CBS.

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/csi_miami/video/video.php?cid=577439402&pid=CMnB7gX- G5FB06DJoKe5XTHMweLgebvUk&category=recent&play=true
  • 1fatman1fatman Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone out there help me out? I bought my 06 SRT-8 to have some fun in my old age. I am 67 and enjoy taking the car out to Thunerhill, Sears Point and Sacramento Raceway. I have no complaints at the drag strip. I know who to talk with to get more power. What I do not know is, whom to ask about high speed handling. Here's the problem. I joined NASA in order to have fun going fast legally. I do not plan to progress any further than HPDE2. But even at that, I get complaints that when I hit the straight, I pull the trigger and, run away only to be overhauled in the twisty bits. So; I'd like to get a bit more speed going in the corners.
    I have spent the last 30 years raising a family and generally being responsible. So I am really out of the loop.
    In 2 years I have never seen another Dodge at the track, a shame really, so I have no notes to compare. So; is anyone out there doing the same thing? Any suspension upgrades? How about the tire/wheels? any improvement there?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You probably want to drop by our Speed Shop Message Board and look over the handling and suspension discussions there. The folks who hang there will probably know just what you need!

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • budwbudw Member Posts: 11
    NOW HAVE 35800 MILES ON CAR. LIVE IN SPOKANE,WA. WENT THRO 3 WINTERE NOW. ONLY PROBLEM I CAN SEE IS. TIRES ON NEW CARS ARE CHEAP.HAVE REPLACED THEM. I THINK ALL THE PROBLEMS I HAVE READ ABOUT ARE ON FIRST CARS BUILT. WE SHOULD ALL PUT THE BUILT DATE ON THESE POSTS. I GOT MIND IN DEC. OF O5. BUILD DATE WAS 8/05 . IF YOU CHECK YOUR BUILD DATES,I THINK MOST OF PROBLEMS ARE THE FIRST FEW MONTHS. I HAVE HAD NO TROUBLE AND KNOW OTHER DODGE LOVERS HERE IN SPOKANE WITH NO TROUBLE. LETS CHECK THOSE BUILD DATES. MY FIRST POST WAS AS BLACK BEAUTY. BUD WALK
    ANSWER TO JACKTB. I AGREE WE SHOULD POST OUR BUILD DATES WHEN WE SEND IN QUESTIONS. I BOUGHT 05 IN DEC. OF 05 WHEN 06 WERE OUT. NEVER ONE PROBLEM. EARLY BUILD DATES ARE THE MAIN TROUBLE I BELIEVE. MY FIRST POST WAS AS BLACK BEAUTY. STILL LOVE CAR AFTER 4 YRS.
    JUST THOUGHT I WOULD JUMP IN. EARLY BUILD DATE CARS APPEAR TO HAVE TROUBLE. I HAVE 05 AWD MAGUMN,BUILD DATE OF OCT. 05.NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. WOULD BUY ANOTHER ONE IF NEEDED, EXCEPT THEY QUIT MAKING THEM. REAL SMART ON THERE PART. OH,WELL.
  • donnak1donnak1 Member Posts: 39
    Are there any original owners of this car still on here? Mine has 45K miles on her, and although I had many problems in the beginning, she is still a great car. My latest issue is that my son just got his driver's license, and poor Maggie has to deal with his jack rabbit starts and putting her through teenage hell!!!
  • bbfd86bbfd86 Member Posts: 42
    My 2005 R/T AWD is doing quite well at 70K miles. I have found that the front suspension is a big weak point - I've had suspension components replaced a number of times, all covered under the 100K/5YR extended warranty that I purchased with the car. The warranty has been a good deal for me. Other than that no major issues for the last 60K miles. Curiously I had a lot of weird problems the first 6 months I owned the car. After that it settled down and has been a charm. Comfortable, safe and a hoot to drive. As a volunteer firefighter it sure gets me to the fire station VERY quickly for alarms!
  • jacklioneljacklionel Member Posts: 29
    Lots of time for things to go wrong, but at least I've had no "infant mortality" problems with the car.

But boy, is it ever a gas hog, even (especially) on the hwy. Can't get higher than around 22mpg, even cruising around 70. The only car I ever owned that got worse mileage was a '72 Olds with a 455 (the AWD may have something to do with that, and that's a blessing in the winter; I thought about getting a 425 HP Challenger, but I don't need another summer car).

Aside from that, it's a great car.
  • magnumbelievermagnumbeliever Member Posts: 15
    Good morning Donnak1, wow, a teenage son that likes to do jack rabbit starts. Are you talking quick acceleration or are we talking tire smoking, wheel spinning take offs. A little moderation never hurts anything, but too much could lead to pre-mature break downs not to mention bad driving habits and later on, traffic tickets. I have Dodge Magnum R/T 2005, never had the need for jack rabbit starts, but on the open highway, now that's a different story., I believe the R/Ts are meant to run
    My '05 Magnum R/T AWD doesn't do jack rabbit starts. It just goes like a rocket from a standstill. Can't smoke the tires with AWD and don't want to. It surprises the heck out folks to see a big, heavy wagon move like a Vette.
  • donnak1donnak1 Member Posts: 39
    I haven't been with him when he does this, but notice that some of the things in the trunk area are moved quite a bit from their original starting place!!!! I stomped on it on the entrance ramp on the way to get his license, and he said...boy this car sally's up....apparently that is a new term meaning it get's up and goes type of thing!!! He had a big smile on his face, which scared me!!!! Now he is interested in a GTO, with an 8.....NOT.....even tho I had a 66 olds 442 rag top for my first car back in 66 !!! He throws that in my face. I try to explain to him that times were different back then and my parents didn't realize what size engine the car had when they purchased it. Ah, the joys of having a teenager!!! :cry:
  • ocmagnumocmagnum Member Posts: 3
    I've owned mine since 2005 and still love it and would never let it go. I have currently after so long begun modifying it. 20" wheels, custom grille, audio...
    It's like having a new car again!
  • ocmagnumocmagnum Member Posts: 3
    I have 53000 miles on mine and no problems
    2005 Magnum SXT, silver, roof rack
    I have a 2005 R/T AWD with 75,000 miles. Two weeks ago on a long I90 drive to Boston my A/C stopped pumping cold air for 2 hours. It was in the 80's, so it got uncomfortable. After stopping for lunch the A/C worked again. I had this happen twice before back in 2006 or 2007. The Dodge service manager thinks there's some sort of valve that freezes up and causes the A/C to stop working. Anybody had a similar experience?
  • alf54alf54 Member Posts: 1
    i want to buy a dodge ram 1500 magnum 3.9 V6 the year 97-98 does anyone know of any issues with this truck
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    You will get a better response posting in the Dodge Ram Group. This area is for the Dodge Magnum wagon... easy mistake to make when they used to nickname the engines that way.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • jellobrandjellobrand Member Posts: 8
    I have had my 2006 RT/AWD now for 34K miles and 27 months. Burn Royal Purple since day one. The car has given me 0 problems. I have had other cars from the US and Japan where after two years things start making funny sounds and what not. My Maggie, I must have been lucky, is still as sound as the day I took her home with 24 miles. Changed the tires, Mich. Primacy's and much better then the Conti. crap. I could not be happier. ;)
  • jellobrandjellobrand Member Posts: 8
    I've never herd this before..... What State and Dealer are you working with?
  • jacktbjacktb Member Posts: 41
    Bought my 2005 R/T in Oct. '04. Currently at 23,000 miles and have not had any issues. Just recently added 20" chrome wheels, cold air intake and a Flowmaster exhaust. The car looks, runs and sounds much better. My next move is to dress up the bland dash. I'll install a wood grain dash kit as soon as I can decide which type will look best. Love the car and plan on keeping it for a long time to come.
    Hello donnak1. I too own a Dodge Magnum, 2005, R/T hemi. I bought it used with 15,000 mile on it a little over a year ago. I like your modifications; 20" wheels, cold air intake and a set of flowmaster exhaust system.

I went a little different; I kept the stock wheels, I like the smooth ride. I did add the K&N cold air injection system. Had to get use to the deep sound of air rushing into the system when I throttle hard on it and I also add a chip by JET. I am looking next year to adding some headers and a newer meaner exhaust set-up. Good luck with your :)
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    Does the front passenger seat fold forward and have a hard backside for hauling long objects? Anyone have the 3.5 V6 and can share how problematic the engine has or hasnt been?
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
  • jacklioneljacklionel Member Posts: 29
    Considering that the Magnum has now been discontinued, does anyone know if Dodge is still selling factory floor mat sets for the AWD R/T?

Also, is there an alternate supplier where one could save some $?

Thanks
  • tcook78tcook78 Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    I have a 2005 Magnum. Have the same EXACT problem you both are having. I currently have 83,000 miles. About 3 months ago I had my torque converter replaced. After that is when I started feeling this harmonic vibration coming from the front of the car. Not real noticable until above 45 mph. Had it to the dealer that replaced my torque converter, they say they can't find anything. They tell me it's coming from my tires. I take it to where I bought my last set of tires, they find no problems with the tires. I still decided to put new rubber on all the way around. Very high quality Pirelli tires. Still have the same problem. It feels like a humming vibrating sensation that radiates up thru the wheel and just basically feels as if you are driving coarse pavement even when you are driving on a very smooth highway. It feels almost as if it has bad wheel bearings, but they say they are fine. I have had ball joints replaced and alligned twice, still not fixing the problem. I'm just beside myself as this point. Anyone else gain any ground in diagnosing this problem? I'm still finding it very suspicisous that I did not have this problem at all until after the Dodge dealer replaced my torque converter, and they claim that this problem is not coming from the driveline..... i'm just about ready to trade it in and buy a new car. HELP!!!
  • mike5806mike5806 Member Posts: 12
    My 2005 SXT FWD had a slightly different problem description but thought that I would throw it out to you. All of a sudden it had rough vibrations over uneven road conditions. Had a friend with the same problem. It was the strut arms.
  • cantcatchacudacantcatchacuda Member Posts: 2
    how does the cold air and flowmasters effect the perfromance of the car?
  • cantcatchacudacantcatchacuda Member Posts: 2
    did the chip you bought make a difference and if so how??
    The chip worked out fine for awhile, but I never really notice the big differences. You get what you pay for :lemon: and the chip was really not all that expensive. I later went for the Diablo Predator Programmer and now I can really see the difference. I use the 91 octane pre-programed setting and I can feel the difference in a hard take off and also a much quicker throttle response when I hit the passing gear while on the highway. It is a much faster and more responsive Magnum...NOW
  • jacktbjacktb Member Posts: 41
    The cold air intake and Flowmasters give the car a bit more power as well as a nice, throaty sound. It roars nicely at WOT. My guess is this combination adds about 15 HP. It's worth the investment IMO.