Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• kulkatkulkat Member Posts: 6
    Went to the Dodge Dealer the other day, they will give me $800 over invoice price for the RT. Said they can't give me an actual price yet because they don't have any invoices yet, and I have to wait till my Black or Red comes in before any pricing is definate. Any other dealer in NJ will do better?
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Member Posts: 206
    Hello all! I have yet to see a Magnum RT. I check the 5 dealers around me all the time and they only ever have SXT's. I have a 2001 300M that I love very much, but when these Hemi cars started coming out....boy I feel a need for more HP. My 300M has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. IN fact, I've had several Japanese cars that weren't as reliable. I think that says a lot about DC and how far they've come.
    I first considered the 300C, but I think I like the Magnum looks more. In fact, my wife likes the Magnum better. I'm probably going to wait for the 'new' effect to wear off so I can get one at a decent price, but again I have yet to lay eyes on an R/T. I've seen the 300C's with Hemis, but no Magnums. I guess people are ordering all the available ones, so the dealers have none in stock.
    My 300M has been great, but never a good green light stomper. Even with the aftermarket enhancements I've made to it, it's never been fast enough for my taste. That's why I really want to test drive the Hemi. I think the 340 HP may be enough, but I've also considered waiting for the SRT-8 that's due out next year. Possibly labeled the new Charger?? It now stands to put out 426HP with the help of a Whipple Supercharger. Now THAT's some serious HP. Enough to beat most Corvette's, but maybe not the Z06. Anyways, if ever get to test drive an R/T I'll let everyone know.
  • atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    In Atlanta, my guess is that I have seen at least 20 or 30 300s and about half a dozen Magnums. All appear to have been low or midlevel trim (no 300c or RT versions). From those I could specifically identify through licenses, bar codes or other stickers, it appears a very high percentage are rental cars. Even though Atlanta is not a tourist destination, with the big airport, business travelers and conventions it is a big rental car market.

I hope DC is not making a mistake by putting too many Magnums and 300s in fleet sales. I'm afraid they are shooting themselves in the foot, cheapening the brand that they are trying to build up. I also do not understand why they are doing this because I cannot believe they are making much money (profit) on fleet sales. IMHO, they should have kept building Chrysler Concordes and Dodge Intrepids for fleet sales at least for a couple of years, letting the Magnum and 300 be more exclusive. I'm also afraid all the fleet sales will hurt depreciation. It is a shame because I think both cars represent excellent new product.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Dodge/Chrysler and GM has made it clear their goal is to sell as many vehicles as possible. This has always been their goal as was Fords, and is partially why they have abyssmal resale value. Not much you can do about it. Ford has recently announced intentions to roll-back their volume and produce a higher priced higher quality product. It will be interesting to see how this works, as the main problem with all three "domestic" brands is capacity. It's hard to sell lower volume at higher prices when you have all this capacity sitting around. So a little off topic, but to answer your question yes the Magnum and 300 are going to be heavily pushed to the fleets and likely will have typical crappy domestic resale. The 300C and Magnum RT will likely be the exception as their price levels are too high for heavy fleet sales. I highly doubt their resale will be substantially better though, possibly a couple percent at best.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    demand for the new LX cars is so high that not many will be going to rental fleets for the next year or so. what you are prolly seeing is the initial batch build for rental fleets to help shakeout problems...
  • mr_fixitmr_fixit Member Posts: 1
    I have had a Base Model Dodge Magnum for about a month now and I love the car. I'm not even talking about an RT. This is a company lease vehical with a 2.7L V6. I was a little worried that the 2.7L would be under-powered. Not at all. It's obviously not going out on a race track (although there are days it feels like it), but it has more than enough power (200hp) to get down the road and pass when needed. I am 6'4" and I am very comfortable in the front seat. I have a son who is 5'10" 230lbs and he sits comfortably in the back, even behind my seat. The ride is very smooth and very quiet. Dodge really paid attention to the small details in this vehical. I am very impressed with the car. Dodge definitely has a winner. Oh... and I can't go anywhere without someone stopping to tell me just how cool the car looks.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    good day,
    I am trying to see some pictures of the magnum.
    people out there is there any good sites that you could recomend.
    greetings from Virginia
    fig
  • heinzh2heinzh2 Member Posts: 49
    The answer to your request of pictures of the Magnum. These are some great pictures too ... perfect for PC backgrounds.

http://www.fast-autos.net/dodge/dodgemagnum.html

I have also added in a link for some shots of the 300C Wagon that makes for interesting viewing. I think I am going to hold out to see if this car will be sold in the US ... and not just Europe. The reason why is simply for the interior & some of the extra features.

http://www.fast-autos.net/chrysler/chrysler300ctouring.html
  • heinzh2heinzh2 Member Posts: 49
    By the way ... there is a review that was just posted on TheCarConnection.com website for the Magnum SXT ... for those that are interested in reading.
  • Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    Some additional thoughts on the "rental" car issue. I recently returned from a trip where I rented with Thrifty--as I have done before. Thrifty is (or perhaps "was") Chrysler owned and so previously used Chrysler vehicles exclusively or so I thought. I signed up for an Intrepid, secretly hoped for a Magnum and ended up being confirmed in a Taurus--which turned out to be a Lincoln Town Car when I pulled up to my rental space. This was considered a "surprise and delight" free upgrade by Thrifty. As I'm not a member of organized crime, an old Jewish couple, or anywhere close to the demographic for Town Cars--my "surprise and delight" was minimal.
        Surprisingly, there were numerous 2005 300's in adjacent spaces which would have "surprised and delighted" me more. I saw one 300 C, three Tourings, and two Limited. It was also possible to rent Grand Cherokees, Pacificas, Jaguar X Types, XJ's, and numerous other "high end" vehicles from a variety of rental car franchises. Apparently ALL or most car rental company's are willing to use a variety of vehicles--under the guise of Premium or Luxury rates--to satisfy customers.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    DC admitted to making a tactical error by releasing only top-line Pacificas when that vehicle was introduced... it was months before any base models were seen on dealer lots, and that turned off many buyers who didn't want/need every option in the book. So with the 300 and Magnum, you will see a lot more base and midlevel cars on lots that are much more affordable, and less of the premium models to keep their aura as top of the line trim/performance.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    Not to mention the Pacifica was $5,000 overpriced regardless of trim level! The problem with the Magnum is that the inventory was SO thin of all models when they had the premier night. Another tactical error, as they are losing many 300/Magnum sales due to lack of availability.
  • ozone1ozone1 Member Posts: 87
    I live in Northern California and have been tempted to replace our Jeep Liberty with a Magnum (SXT or RT). I drove the SXT and I was very impressed, hard to believe this car is a wagon because it does not feel like one when you're in the driver's seat. I was surprised to see that the Magnum is the exact same length as a 300. Not sure if they are losing sales, but the sales guy I was talking to was a little frustrated that they only had received 4 total (2 were on the lot when I was there) and one of them showed up at the dealership without any advanced notice, an RT. DC hadn't even supplied the dealer with brochures!!! Also, the RT was jacked up with a 5k premium, which was very disappointing. We still have a year left on our Liberty lease, so we're going to sit this out until the dust settles. We may be a buyer, but not now the price of entry is too high. Don't blow it DC, you could have a real winner on your hands, don't turn off your potential buyers! Otherwise, many of us will look to the new Subie (which I drove and was also impressed with) or even an Audi Allroad.
    I am lucky enough to live in a moderate-sized area with several 5 Star dealers. All but one of 4 dealers I checked had both SXT AND RT models available for Premiere Night. In fact, they had several available long before Premiere night, though RT's were not as well stocked as SXT's. What was not in great supply was the base SE model--though I saw several arrive that were ear-marked for company fleets and Enterprise Car Rental.
       No dealer in this area inflicted any added markup on the stickers. I've often viewed those claims with suspicion--I've not seen it locally on new models.
  • emaleemale Member Posts: 1,380
    but, i might add that the plan for the pacifica might have actually worked well with the LX cars since the hemi powered ones seem to be the ones selling right off the transports...
  • fullautofullauto Member Posts: 1
    On Saturday I found a Magnesium RT (Hemi) fully optioned out with the navigation system, sun roof, climate control, power everything... and I paid $35k for it before taxes. They get pricey with all the options, but I still believe it's very reasonable.

I've owned 4 Corvettes ('91, '93, '96, 2000) and a 1994 Viper. I can honestly say, this thing is almost as cool as the Viper. :) It has all the power my 2000 Vette had, easily.

If you can find one, GET ONE. They appear to be exceptionally well made. I just can't believe I'm so drawn to a station wagon!!! :D

Tim
  • morselandmorseland Member Posts: 25
    Dear Fullauto,
         I have the Magnesium R/T also and love it to death. I wish I had optioned it out like you did since the car itself is a blast to drive and deserves all the options. I went to a reunion of some local and out of state long time friends last Saturday night and gave four of them a ride out on the local secondary highway. We hit the century mark within a very short time, the car was solid as a rock, its engine and transmission smooth as silk. I felt like I was back in 1969 without the noise. Plus the car corners like its on tracks.
         I don't classify the car as a station wagon unless talking to the fairer sex, especially my wife. I just open the hood to anyone who has a passion for performance and let them take a drive.
  • rusty104rusty104 Member Posts: 39
    Price released on AWD today - 2k additional for the Magnum R/T - still not available until "the fall."
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Member Posts: 233
    rusty - any details on what type of AWD it will be? What torque splits, and is it variable with speed, etc?
    "By continuously driving all wheels, the new all-wheel-drive system provides excellent cornering balance and traction under all driving conditions. Combined with standard features such as Electronic Stability Program (ESP), All-speed Traction Control, four-wheel anti-lock brakes and Emergency Brake Assist, performance and stability are outstanding in the new AWD members of the Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300 lineup."

"While chassis electronics and tire technology improvements help control our Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum rear-wheel-drive models, some customers may still opt for the all-wheel-drive choice," said Murphy. "With this latest option, we are able to offer what the customer wants in each case."

"The new all-wheel-drive system adds a front differential and a transfer case to the standard rear-wheel-drive configuration. All-wheel drive continuously divides the power between the front and rear axles at a 38- percent to 62-percent ratio.

In addition to the front differential and transfer case, the all-wheel- drive system adds a unique short- and long-arm front suspension to accommodate the front drive axle and related components. This unique suspension uses a forged upper control arm and single-piece case-iron lower control arm, efficiently packaged around the front-axle drive system. The steering gear effort and response and the suspension characteristics also are tuned to the handling characteristics of all-wheel-drive vehicles. "
    Automatic braking impulses to increase traction

In place of differential locks 4MATIC uses the electronically controlled traction system 4ETS, an additional component of the stability program ESP®. This is automatically activated if one or more wheels lose their adhesion. In this case 4ETS applies individual brake pressure to these wheels while increasing the drive torque to the wheels which still have sufficient traction. These split-second braking impulses enable the effect of three differential locks to be achieved:

Rear axle: If one rear wheel begins to spin, it is braked and a drive torque corresponding to the braking torque is transferred to the other rear wheel. This is equivalent to the function of a rear differential lock.

Front axle: The same principle applies to the front wheels, therefore 4ETS also replaces a front differential lock.

Central lock: If both rear wheels begin to spin, they are simultaneously braked while the transfer case compensates for the difference in speed between the front and rear axles. In this way 4ETS also performs the function of a central differential lock.
    The four-wheel drive system in the C-Class is configured to distribute the drive torque to the front and rear axles at a ratio of 40 : 60 at all times. The Mercedes engineers have therefore intentionally given the C-Class four-wheel drive models a "rear emphasis", as this torque distribution provides the best conditions for safe handling characteristics – even at high speeds.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Minor policy change here at Town Hall regarding these. You may quote or c&p them, but you also must include a link to the actual release.

Rusty, could you please post the link to the Magnum AWD release? Thanks!

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • nextmoonnextmoon Member Posts: 386
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Any preferences?
    I know it will be very slow compared to the RT, but how does it compare to other cars in the same $22-$25K price range as far as comfort, performance and interior quality?
    Can you fit two adult mountain bikes stacked on their sides inside the wagon?
    Does the front passenger seat fold forward on the base SE (or any of the Magnum models) to allow longer items to fit?
    Black will look more expensive and "badder" in my opinion, especially with all windows tinted. Grey looks nice too, just not as good as black. However, black is the hardest color there is to keep looking nice. IMO, it is worth the effort!
    The black may look "badder," but I thought the mineral gray could look more expensive due to the metallic flakes that give depth.
    It is hard to tell by looking at the pics on the Dodge web site.
    Anyone have higher resolution photos than what's on the Dodge web site of Magnums in any color?

I wonder if the A/C can handle cooling a black Magnum on 100+ degree summer afternoons?
    Do you get the same A/C unit with each model or do the bigger engines get more powerful A/C compressors?
    I'm a little concerned that the black will look like hell after a couple years of dust and swirl marks. It does look really great on a brand new car that is never driven in the real world.
    I think the 300C wagon is sweet, but I am starting to warm up to the Magnum a little more. We'll see.

I wonder if Chrysler is afraid a 300C wagon would kill the Pacifica's sales numbers? Would it matter to them if it did?
    Mineral Gray all the way. Looks much better when covered with road salt all winter in the north!

My last black vehicle did look awful after a couple years. Just couldn't get out the swirl marks and it was always dirty looking.
    The Magnum black is a rich metallic paint. It is incredible looking in person. I have had a number of black cars over the years and they all looked as good when I sold them as they did when I bought them. I am, of course, pretty anal about my vehicles. As for winter crud, that's when the heated garage with floor drain comes in handy. Can scrub all that crud off without fighting the cold. I got tired of the wash mit freezing to the shady side of the car when I would wash it in the driveway when it was cold. Never have to worry about swirl marks because I do all the polishing by hand. But, the dark grey looks great too, so you really cannot go wrong with either one. It just boils down to the question of do you want to put out the effort required to keep a black car looking good!
    I like the magnesium pearl coat the best (of course that's the color I purchased) but the mineral grey looks pretty cool also. Seeing two black magnums perpendicular to each other at a dealers front lot kinda reminded me of the Munster's TV show, a little like hearses. But I seriously like all the colors offered.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    LOL!

"Mineral Grey or Black?"

"Magnesium."

;-)

Between the two, now that I've had a chance to see them in the metal, I'd vote Mineral Grey. Black is beautiful, baby, but man, what a PITA to keep up. Then again, I'm near OC when it comes to car maintenance!

I agree, however, with the "Magnesium" sentiment. This is one cool color. And the Vanilla too. I think if I were pulling the trigger, Cool Vanilla would be on my order form...
    It was actually the Magnesium color I wanted to compare to black.
    I didn't realize that the Mineral Gray was the lighter color.
  • kulkatkulkat Member Posts: 6
    I wanted Black, but too long of a wait, on any of them!
    I Got the Silver, and its a beautiful looking silver (especially coming from a non-silver person as myself!)
    There seems to be no factory radio upgrade available on the Magnum SE. Only a AM/FM CD player with 4 speakers that comes standard. The dealer can install an $1800 upgrade that replaces the stock radio with a AM/FM/CD/MP3/Navigation unit, but that's overkill and you still have the same 4 speakers and the price doesn't include the cost of installation.
    There is also a Sirius add-on available by the dealer, but I wonder how tacked-on the dealer-installed Sirius unit looks.
    Is the radio opening a standard size to replace it with an aftermarket system?
    I would want a system with an AUX-in mini-jack so I could plug in any portable device I wanted (such as an iPod) and perhaps fully-integrated XM Radio rather than a separate satellite radio unit.
    How important are the HID lights and the Protection Group II options? The dealer has what I want except it does not have those 2 options. Will probably lease for 3 or 4 years then get something new. The one in stock also is priced before the July 7th $600 price increase that an order placed now for the exact same car is. Dealer will use MSRP to figure residual but actually sell at invoice (including the adv. fees). I am torn about the two options. Any opinions/comments would be appreciated!
  • enygma6enygma6 Member Posts: 35
    My personal preferences lean toward Mineral Grey Metallic.
    With 4 of the 7 colors offered on the Magnum being grey or black, it kind of limits the choices. The Silver is quite light, and while it looks good, I've had 2 silver cars in the past. Mineral Grey and Magnesium Pearl are about the same darkness, but the Magnesium has a greenish tint to it. It's the color that was often used on the 300's in the commercials on TV, kind of a drab look.
    I like the Mineral Grey as it is much darker than the Silver, but not quite Black (I don't have tons of time to keep rewashing my car). Also, in my opinion the Magnesium is rather drab looking if not in direct sunlight, plus that color is shared with the Chrysler 300's, and Mineral Grey is not (slightly more exclusive that way).
  • enygma6enygma6 Member Posts: 35
    I like the idea of the 300C wagon, I like some of the extra features on the 300, but I prefer most of the exterior design on the Magnum better. I would prefer the option of HID headlamps on the Magnum, and I like the more upscale cabin on the 300, but the grill design on the Magnum looks better to me.
    If only there were some way to combine the two, without having to wait and hope the theoretical SRT-8 does it, I would be set. In the mean time I'll just have to be happy with my RT (just try to stop me ;) )
    Sorry about that post, was meant for the 300 board!
    I basically "liked" it, but it is not a MSRP+ car as the dealers would like to sell it.
    I don't think the current high interest in it will hold up in 3 years when you're trying to resell or trade it in. So you will take a giant depreciation hit if you pay anywhere near full MSRP much less over sticker. Maybe the 300C will still be hot in 3 years, but I don't think others will when the shortage is over.
    When I can get one for $500 over invoice, I'll look into it more seriously. I might even wait until I can get at invoice minus rebate.
    Of course it isn't. Unless y'all happen to have to have it!

Let's take a short stroll down memory lane to the release of a small, neon-based minivan called the "PT", shall we?

Yeah, the buzz will wear off eventually and as soon as it does, the critics will crawl back out of the woodwork and point out that it can't be that great because folks won't pay a premium anymore. Horsefeathers!

The real deal: right now it's worth whatever somebody's willing to put down on the counter for it right now. If someone loves it enough to pay a premium, then it's absolutely 100% worth it to that buyer.

I have never been one to pay a premium for any car. Then again, I've never been in the market at a time when something I really want bad is the hot ticket. Now, if, in '06, Audi brings an S3 Sportback with DSG here, and due to short stocking or whatever they are going for a pop over the MSRP, I'd probably bite the bullet, and do it with gusto!

BTW, about an hour ago at the carwash I caught an R/T in Cool Vanilla. Yes sirree, Bob, that is the trim level and color I'd do if I was gonna do it, and no two ways. My local Chrysler/Dodge shop (in an admittedly casual conversation last Saturday) will order one for me for sticker plus $3,500! Very kind of them...
    ;-)
    I meant it isn't worth MSRP and above because it is going to be a high volume car. In 3 years they will tons of them around and tons on the used car market.
    An S3 or any very limited production vehicle might be worth over sticker new even in the long run because at resale time, they will continue to be hard to find new or used. This will command a high resale price, whereas a $28K 2005 Mangum SXT might be only worth $9,999 used in 3 years.
    Web, you may be absolutely right, but that's not my point. If you don't think it's worth the pop, then it isn't; to you!

Regardless if the enthusiast buys it for $30K today, and three years from now it's trading used at $9K, the buyer who loves it is getting his or her money's worth, because of the satisfaction it gives. I believe that with every fiber of my being, and always have.

Calculating sliding value on a depreciating commodity and buying based on that factor is kind of silly to me. Either it's worth it to you at the time or it isn't; nothing else matters, provided the capital is available.
    Dear Web,

The Magnum R/T in my opinion is one of the best car values out there. Its state of the art for a sports wagon that practical and safe without being a monstrous SUV that lists for thousands more. Wait a few more years when people start to unload those tanks. I am keeping my 1999 300M for now because the car is worth so much more in driving satisfaction than what the dealers say the car is worth.
         I did feel originally that the 300M would hold its value better and not have some of the problems as soon as it did at 80,000 miles which include an air condition compressor, and the typical transmission servos, window motors. Brake wear seem typical, especially when it seems all brake parts are made from cheaper metal these days. Tire wear also seems average. But the car as a whole drives and handles like new.

I couldn't be happier with our R/T purchase and hopefully it will stay that way. But we did get the extended 60,000 warranty to be on the safe side, the dealer gave us $500 off on it.
    Extended 60,000 mile warranty? Isn't the expensive stuff already covered by the standard 7 year/70,000 mile powertrain warranty?

What do they charge then for the 60,000 mile one, that just covers all the other minor things?

Thanks.
    Dear Carguy,
         I guess the extended warranty covers much of the other stuff like air conditioning compressors, window motors, electrical, instruments and stuff not included in the powertrain warranty already. It also gives roadside assistance and free rental car when vehicle is in service. I believe it costs about $1400 so we got it for $900. After the 300M experience I thought it might be a good idea and it is transferable to a new owner if we trade before 6/29/2008 or 60,000 miles.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Well I'm not a big warranty fan, figuring that those companies have to be making money; so on average they will not pay out as much as you put it in. A warranty is nothing but an insurance policy on equipment. You're betting you're going to lose (have higher loses than average and their profit)!

Since the Dodge warranty is for 36K miles, you paid $900 for 24K miles of coverage on non-powertrain items. Sounds high to me. I would have given you the same guarantee for $850. ;-)

Look I'm not trying to rain on your parade; but if you think that much is going to go wrong with this car during that time, I wouldn't even buy it.
    I think we've had sufficient folks chime in here to know that most dealers are not gouging customers. Two of the local dealers in my area will order you a vehicle with no mark up. Check again!