Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• atlgaxtatlgaxt Posts: 487
    Please realize that I am not trying to be anti-Magnum as I really do like these vehicles, but since you were thinking about other vehicles have you considered Subaru?

We have a Subaru Forester XT (with the turbo) and we love it. AWD for snow or light off roading, a lot of power, good reliability, best in class safety and OK passenger and good cargo room (My two big dogs fit fine). The new Legacy and Outback are pretty hot also. Unfortunately, for the larger vehicle size and extra cost you do not pick up much additional interior space as compared to the Forester.

I know Subaru's are ugly, geeky, etc. etc., and if you are used to driving an Audi you probably can't imagine being caught dead in one, but you really owe it to your self to check one out. And I for one do not think the new Legacy / Outback is really all that ugly anyway.

Sorry for the Subaru pitch Magnum fans, but I was just responding to her question. I really do like the Magnum. And now, back to regularly scheduled programing.
  • heinzh2heinzh2 Posts: 49
    At least I can speak on behalf of the Atlanta market in that none of the cars have been marked up over MSRP ... this goes for the 300 as well. Maybe it's just the market here or something. I have been told by a couple of dealerships now that there is a $500 rebate (or something to that nature) on the Magnum now ... "but may go away soon".

By the way ... thank you "snickle" for the mod info. I think that is something I will take advantage of when I decide to buy. Be sure to post any other info like that in future. Also thank you to "t15212j" for the Costco info. Could you email me with that dealer info, just in case, since NC is not that far off to save that much money. Might even be enough savings to have the car delivered too?
  • morselandmorseland Posts: 25
    I always enjoyed our 300M, its a great road car with loads of interior room. I always loved the styling and other 300Ms still catch my eye when one goes by, I still haven't decided which color I like best.
         But the new Magnum, especially with the Hemi powerplant, brings driving to a much higher level. Its a large efficient car with performance and comfort, a huge back seat, and practical cargo space thats easy to get to. It seats five adults easily. And I like the styling even better than the 300M.
         The original sticker for our 1999 300M was about the same as our new R/T although we paid about $3000 below sticker at the time. All R/T's around here are going for full sticker unless they get you at the other end with your trade in. When we financed through Chrysler we got a $500 rebate and $500 reduction in a four year bumper to bumper warranty (whatever that means). After financing with Chysler for three payments you can buy out the loan at no penalty if you can get a better rate somewhere else. Getting a 300C with a few options on it at sticker is still difficult. I live south of Boston.
  • An all AWD Magnum is not necessarily necessary considering how well the Magnum and its sibliing the 300, perform in winter weather. The links below are video's from Chrysler's Ride n' Drive program that allowed 50 people to test the Magnum and 300 in blizzard like conditions.

http://www.dcxmediaservices.com/videoptrs/wms/dctv/Mar04/Houghton- _Ride_Drive_300k.wvx

http://www.dcxmediaservices.com/videoptrs/wms/dctv/Mar04/Houghton- _Ride_Drive_P2_300k.wvx
  • t15212jt15212j Posts: 7
    ILDERTON DODGE-CHRY JEEP
    701-709 S MAIN ST POB350
    HIGH POINT, NC 27260
    (336)8416100

Ask for Joe, order 300 or Magnum for $200 over dealer cost or $500 over dealer cost on stock units.
  • bhhbhh Posts: 1
    Comparing a Subaru Forester to a Magnum is a big stretch by most measurements, Consider:

Gas mileage – worse in the smaller Subaru.
    Cargo room – Magnum is 7.5 cu. ft. more, with a width and rear opening size more real-world usable.
    Legroom – Magnum is 6.5 inches more for rear passengers. “Not much more interior space”? This is a huge difference.
    Shoulder/hip room – Magnum 4-5 inches more – again a huge difference.

Besides the obvious size differences, there are a lot of standard features on the Magnum that are not even an option on the Forester, and options for the Magnum also not even available on the Forester (do a quick compare at Carsdirect to see these).

The Magnum will ride better, quieter, and be safer, from size alone. The Forester is a nice little car, but for MORE money than all but the Magnum RT model with similar options (and even there it gets close) the small Subaru cannot compare.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    I have a similar opinion. The Magnum is nearly as roomy as our Tahoe. Width is very important to me and nearly every other wagon or even most SUV's are lacking in that department. Three passengers in the back seat is not comfortable in most vehicles. I recently looked at a Passat wagon and a Magnum side by side. The Magnum is quite large and three can fit nicely in the back. Three passengers in the Passat would be miserable in short order.
  • rusty104rusty104 Posts: 39
    Has anyone cranked up the BA system in the Magnum? If so what is your opinion of the sound?
    BHH:

I'm not trying to start a war, but I just to clarify a few points on my post.

1. I was not comparing the Forester to a Magnum. Andrea was looking for ideas for vehicles, including one larger and more expensive vehicle and one smaller one. Reading what she was looking for, I thought a Legacy / Outback or a Forester might be good choices for her.

2. My statement was that the Outback / Legacy did not have much more interior room than a Forester, even though the Outback Legacy is a larger vehicle. I concede that the Magnum has more space, particularly in regards to passenger space. The advantage in cargo room for the Magnum is reduced due to the slope of the roof. Sorry if my wording was vague.

3. 2004 Turbo Forester with the 5 speed is rated at 18/23, auto is rated at 19/23. Hemi Magnum is rated at 17/24, which is pretty darn good for a V8, but is a draw economy wise. My understanding is that the 2005 Outback Legacy is actually rated slightly higher, and the 2005 Forester has been revised slightly upward. My guess is the Hemi Magnum with AWD will be a little lower.

The Forester and Outbacks are top rated in safety. Like I said, I am not trying to start a war as I like Subarus and I like the 300C and Magnum. They are all excellent cars that will appeal to different folks for different reasons. I was just trying to respond to the post (#403) from Andrea.
    Dear Rusty,

The basic sound system is terrific with easy controls and great bass, midrange and high sound, tight and not boomy. You can fade the sound very effectively to the rear of the vehicle if you desire a softer sound or for rear passengers.
  • kulkatkulkat Posts: 6
    Went to the Dodge Dealer the other day, they will give me $800 over invoice price for the RT. Said they can't give me an actual price yet because they don't have any invoices yet, and I have to wait till my Black or Red comes in before any pricing is definate. Any other dealer in NJ will do better?
  • cmyers300mcmyers300m Posts: 206
    Hello all! I have yet to see a Magnum RT. I check the 5 dealers around me all the time and they only ever have SXT's. I have a 2001 300M that I love very much, but when these Hemi cars started coming out....boy I feel a need for more HP. My 300M has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. IN fact, I've had several Japanese cars that weren't as reliable. I think that says a lot about DC and how far they've come.
    I first considered the 300C, but I think I like the Magnum looks more. In fact, my wife likes the Magnum better. I'm probably going to wait for the 'new' effect to wear off so I can get one at a decent price, but again I have yet to lay eyes on an R/T. I've seen the 300C's with Hemis, but no Magnums. I guess people are ordering all the available ones, so the dealers have none in stock.
    My 300M has been great, but never a good green light stomper. Even with the aftermarket enhancements I've made to it, it's never been fast enough for my taste. That's why I really want to test drive the Hemi. I think the 340 HP may be enough, but I've also considered waiting for the SRT-8 that's due out next year. Possibly labeled the new Charger?? It now stands to put out 426HP with the help of a Whipple Supercharger. Now THAT's some serious HP. Enough to beat most Corvette's, but maybe not the Z06. Anyways, if ever get to test drive an R/T I'll let everyone know.
    In Atlanta, my guess is that I have seen at least 20 or 30 300s and about half a dozen Magnums. All appear to have been low or midlevel trim (no 300c or RT versions). From those I could specifically identify through licenses, bar codes or other stickers, it appears a very high percentage are rental cars. Even though Atlanta is not a tourist destination, with the big airport, business travelers and conventions it is a big rental car market.

I hope DC is not making a mistake by putting too many Magnums and 300s in fleet sales. I'm afraid they are shooting themselves in the foot, cheapening the brand that they are trying to build up. I also do not understand why they are doing this because I cannot believe they are making much money (profit) on fleet sales. IMHO, they should have kept building Chrysler Concordes and Dodge Intrepids for fleet sales at least for a couple of years, letting the Magnum and 300 be more exclusive. I'm also afraid all the fleet sales will hurt depreciation. It is a shame because I think both cars represent excellent new product.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,233
    Dodge/Chrysler and GM has made it clear their goal is to sell as many vehicles as possible. This has always been their goal as was Fords, and is partially why they have abyssmal resale value. Not much you can do about it. Ford has recently announced intentions to roll-back their volume and produce a higher priced higher quality product. It will be interesting to see how this works, as the main problem with all three "domestic" brands is capacity. It's hard to sell lower volume at higher prices when you have all this capacity sitting around. So a little off topic, but to answer your question yes the Magnum and 300 are going to be heavily pushed to the fleets and likely will have typical crappy domestic resale. The 300C and Magnum RT will likely be the exception as their price levels are too high for heavy fleet sales. I highly doubt their resale will be substantially better though, possibly a couple percent at best.
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    demand for the new LX cars is so high that not many will be going to rental fleets for the next year or so. what you are prolly seeing is the initial batch build for rental fleets to help shakeout problems...
  • mr_fixitmr_fixit Posts: 1
    I have had a Base Model Dodge Magnum for about a month now and I love the car. I'm not even talking about an RT. This is a company lease vehical with a 2.7L V6. I was a little worried that the 2.7L would be under-powered. Not at all. It's obviously not going out on a race track (although there are days it feels like it), but it has more than enough power (200hp) to get down the road and pass when needed. I am 6'4" and I am very comfortable in the front seat. I have a son who is 5'10" 230lbs and he sits comfortably in the back, even behind my seat. The ride is very smooth and very quiet. Dodge really paid attention to the small details in this vehical. I am very impressed with the car. Dodge definitely has a winner. Oh... and I can't go anywhere without someone stopping to tell me just how cool the car looks.
  • jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Posts: 209
    good day,
    I am trying to see some pictures of the magnum.
    people out there is there any good sites that you could recomend.
    greetings from Virginia
    fig
    The answer to your request of pictures of the Magnum. These are some great pictures too ... perfect for PC backgrounds.

http://www.fast-autos.net/dodge/dodgemagnum.html

I have also added in a link for some shots of the 300C Wagon that makes for interesting viewing. I think I am going to hold out to see if this car will be sold in the US ... and not just Europe. The reason why is simply for the interior & some of the extra features.

http://www.fast-autos.net/chrysler/chrysler300ctouring.html
    By the way ... there is a review that was just posted on TheCarConnection.com website for the Magnum SXT ... for those that are interested in reading.
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    Some additional thoughts on the "rental" car issue. I recently returned from a trip where I rented with Thrifty--as I have done before. Thrifty is (or perhaps "was") Chrysler owned and so previously used Chrysler vehicles exclusively or so I thought. I signed up for an Intrepid, secretly hoped for a Magnum and ended up being confirmed in a Taurus--which turned out to be a Lincoln Town Car when I pulled up to my rental space. This was considered a "surprise and delight" free upgrade by Thrifty. As I'm not a member of organized crime, an old Jewish couple, or anywhere close to the demographic for Town Cars--my "surprise and delight" was minimal.
        Surprisingly, there were numerous 2005 300's in adjacent spaces which would have "surprised and delighted" me more. I saw one 300 C, three Tourings, and two Limited. It was also possible to rent Grand Cherokees, Pacificas, Jaguar X Types, XJ's, and numerous other "high end" vehicles from a variety of rental car franchises. Apparently ALL or most car rental company's are willing to use a variety of vehicles--under the guise of Premium or Luxury rates--to satisfy customers.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    DC admitted to making a tactical error by releasing only top-line Pacificas when that vehicle was introduced... it was months before any base models were seen on dealer lots, and that turned off many buyers who didn't want/need every option in the book. So with the 300 and Magnum, you will see a lot more base and midlevel cars on lots that are much more affordable, and less of the premium models to keep their aura as top of the line trim/performance.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    Not to mention the Pacifica was $5,000 overpriced regardless of trim level! The problem with the Magnum is that the inventory was SO thin of all models when they had the premier night. Another tactical error, as they are losing many 300/Magnum sales due to lack of availability.
  • ozone1ozone1 Posts: 87
    I live in Northern California and have been tempted to replace our Jeep Liberty with a Magnum (SXT or RT). I drove the SXT and I was very impressed, hard to believe this car is a wagon because it does not feel like one when you're in the driver's seat. I was surprised to see that the Magnum is the exact same length as a 300. Not sure if they are losing sales, but the sales guy I was talking to was a little frustrated that they only had received 4 total (2 were on the lot when I was there) and one of them showed up at the dealership without any advanced notice, an RT. DC hadn't even supplied the dealer with brochures!!! Also, the RT was jacked up with a 5k premium, which was very disappointing. We still have a year left on our Liberty lease, so we're going to sit this out until the dust settles. We may be a buyer, but not now the price of entry is too high. Don't blow it DC, you could have a real winner on your hands, don't turn off your potential buyers! Otherwise, many of us will look to the new Subie (which I drove and was also impressed with) or even an Audi Allroad.
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    I am lucky enough to live in a moderate-sized area with several 5 Star dealers. All but one of 4 dealers I checked had both SXT AND RT models available for Premiere Night. In fact, they had several available long before Premiere night, though RT's were not as well stocked as SXT's. What was not in great supply was the base SE model--though I saw several arrive that were ear-marked for company fleets and Enterprise Car Rental.
       No dealer in this area inflicted any added markup on the stickers. I've often viewed those claims with suspicion--I've not seen it locally on new models.
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    but, i might add that the plan for the pacifica might have actually worked well with the LX cars since the hemi powered ones seem to be the ones selling right off the transports...
  • fullautofullauto Posts: 1
    On Saturday I found a Magnesium RT (Hemi) fully optioned out with the navigation system, sun roof, climate control, power everything... and I paid $35k for it before taxes. They get pricey with all the options, but I still believe it's very reasonable.

I've owned 4 Corvettes ('91, '93, '96, 2000) and a 1994 Viper. I can honestly say, this thing is almost as cool as the Viper. :) It has all the power my 2000 Vette had, easily.

If you can find one, GET ONE. They appear to be exceptionally well made. I just can't believe I'm so drawn to a station wagon!!! :D

Tim
    Dear Fullauto,
         I have the Magnesium R/T also and love it to death. I wish I had optioned it out like you did since the car itself is a blast to drive and deserves all the options. I went to a reunion of some local and out of state long time friends last Saturday night and gave four of them a ride out on the local secondary highway. We hit the century mark within a very short time, the car was solid as a rock, its engine and transmission smooth as silk. I felt like I was back in 1969 without the noise. Plus the car corners like its on tracks.
         I don't classify the car as a station wagon unless talking to the fairer sex, especially my wife. I just open the hood to anyone who has a passion for performance and let them take a drive.
    Price released on AWD today - 2k additional for the Magnum R/T - still not available until "the fall."
  • carguy1234carguy1234 Posts: 233
    rusty - any details on what type of AWD it will be? What torque splits, and is it variable with speed, etc?
    "By continuously driving all wheels, the new all-wheel-drive system provides excellent cornering balance and traction under all driving conditions. Combined with standard features such as Electronic Stability Program (ESP), All-speed Traction Control, four-wheel anti-lock brakes and Emergency Brake Assist, performance and stability are outstanding in the new AWD members of the Dodge Magnum and Chrysler 300 lineup."

"While chassis electronics and tire technology improvements help control our Chrysler 300 and Dodge Magnum rear-wheel-drive models, some customers may still opt for the all-wheel-drive choice," said Murphy. "With this latest option, we are able to offer what the customer wants in each case."

"The new all-wheel-drive system adds a front differential and a transfer case to the standard rear-wheel-drive configuration. All-wheel drive continuously divides the power between the front and rear axles at a 38- percent to 62-percent ratio.

In addition to the front differential and transfer case, the all-wheel- drive system adds a unique short- and long-arm front suspension to accommodate the front drive axle and related components. This unique suspension uses a forged upper control arm and single-piece case-iron lower control arm, efficiently packaged around the front-axle drive system. The steering gear effort and response and the suspension characteristics also are tuned to the handling characteristics of all-wheel-drive vehicles. "