Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Magnum

Comments

• Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Jeff- If there is any way you can share a photo of your Magnum after it receives it's custome paint I'm sure we would all enjoy seeing it.
  • Options
    enygma6enygma6 Member Posts: 35
    I live in the suburban Chicago area and we just had a fairly hefty snowstorm pass through (8-10") this past week.

My experience with my RWD RT is that while the traction control will cut back the power, it is all too easy to spin the wheels. The car is heavy, and in slippery conditions the rear wheels can spin loose very easily due to too much power. TCS cuts the power when this happens, but that means the car accelerates very slowly, and careful attention must be exercised while driving to keep the Magnum from sliding to the side. This problem is not unique to the Magnum, rather a consequence of having rear-wheel drive (I was watching a few other pickups and SUVs in front of me sliding around in the same manner)

Never have I missed my old Subaru OBS as much as last Wednesday evening when trying to plow through 2-3" of slippery slush going down the road. I even managed to get stuck trying to get up my own driveway -- 8+" of heavy wet snow on a slight uphill slope was too much for the Magnum. fortunately big snows like that are increasingly rare in these parts.

In conclusion, if you live in an area that gets a lot of heavy snowfall, you might want to consider the AWD Magnum. If big snows aren't very common, the Rwd RT can be driven without too much trouble; just remember to take it slow and easy when the white stuff falls. If you insist on the Rwd version in a good amount of snow, the snow tires probably wouldn't hurt.
  • Options
    dodgedodge Member Posts: 25
    I live in mi and we get about 1-7 inches so would you recomend getting the magnum in awd?
  • Options
    ppugppug Member Posts: 9
    I previously thought the RT RWD was ok in the snow... enygma6 said it perfectly... if its a choice and not a cost thing... get the AWD if you get snow. I got stuck going up into my driveway too.
  • Options
    hardhawkhardhawk Member Posts: 702
    We recently had about an inch of ice here. No snow. The RWD Magnum RT did just fine, but I did drive quite carefully and took plenty of time, giving other drivers plenty of space. On one flat and empty street I did give the gas pedal a shot to see what would happen. The dash light lit up and the electronic wizards stepped in to prevent me from getting too crazy. This ESP system really works.
  • Options
    founderfounder Member Posts: 48
    I've read pretty positive reviews about the magnum in a couple of Car mags as well as this site, but in Consumer reports they say that the magnum's ride and handling average. To me it came across as if the reviewer wasn't impressed. I always check Consumer Reports cause they are supposed to by unbiased and don't get the royal treatment from Car manufactures that Car magazines gets. Overall they recommended the car, but I curious cause Edmunds says the magnum handles and rides pretty well, like german sedan. Can someone give me a little input?
  • Options
    My Magnum RT is the best driving car I have ever owned. I agree with the Germanic comparison. The ride is firm yet not harsh. The steering is precise and not floaty. The car is incredibly quiet and the combination of all its positive driving and ride characteristics gives you a car that is VERY easy to get yourself in trouble with the speed police. The cruise control is excellent and keeps me at the legal limits. I would not want the car without it because it is so easy to get up to speeds above the limit without realizing it. Also, the power from the Hemi is incredible. Once again, you have to watch out because you can be way over the speed limit when passing, etc. before you know it. The Auto-stick 5 speed is nice in the bad weather. As you can obviously tell, I love this car. It has incredible room for me (6'4") in both the front and back seats plus good cargo area to haul my family's stuff. Not as much cargo area as we were used to coming out of a Town & Country van, but way more than the 300C, which was the other car we were considering. This car is a home run for DCX in my book. I don't know what model Consumer Reports tested or if the tester was biased because the Magnum is not his or her personal favorite. Frankly, I don't view my car as an appliance, which is what CR tends to do, and I put the most faith in my own testing before I buy. However, I would put a lot more faith in what Edmunds, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile, and Road & Track have to say about the Magnum than what CR has to say. CR is very biased in its own way. You really need to go drive a Magnum and decide for yourself if you like it. If you do, great. If it isn't your cup of tea, that's fine too.
  • Options
    svevarsvevar Member Posts: 160
    As hardhawk has said, Consumer Reports tests automobiles just as it tests appliances. They value ease of use, 'predictability', isolation, and reliability above all else—good qualities for a refrigerator, but maybe not for a new car. By CR's estimation, a dull, rolling isolation chamber that grandma can handle comfortably—think Toyota Camry—represents the ideal vehicle.

If you view your cars as appliances simply intended to get you from point 'A' to point 'B,' take CR's advice. Otherwise, personal experience and true automotive reviews will better help you select a new vehicle.

-- Mark
  • Options
    Jason5Jason5 Member Posts: 440
    I read CR for a variety of reasons. The accuracy, fairness, and unbiased nature of their auto reviews is NOT one of them. At the risk of being harassed, I'll simply say where cars are concerned they "don't get it, don't care to get it, and likely never will get it".
  • Options
    KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
  • Options
    Great update!
  • Options
    Thanks for your response, heck thanks to all who responded. I'm going to test the Magnum maybe this weekend. One more thing I would like to know is that is there a ride or handling difference between the AWD and RWD? I'm sure this question at the dealership would lean in favor of the AWD due to the fact that it's more money, but I live in south FL, so traction in snow isn't an issue, but it does rain enough down here where the roads can get slippery when wet.
  • Options
    tahoe7tahoe7 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

Going to check out 3 cars today..The magnum SXT AWD,Volvo XC 70 and the Subaru Outback VDC.I am sure my head will be spinning from the sales BS,so I would greatly appreciate any feedback from you guys..Any insight????

Thank you
  • Options
    I was at my Dodge dealer this morning having my 96 Ram trade-appraised in anticipation of my 05 Ram order. Was shooting the breeze with my salesguy (he's a total gearhead, restored a 72 Chevelle that is downright incrediible). He said he can't wait for the Mag SRT8... Hemi Mags don't stay on the lot long at all, but he does have a Vanilla RT AWD right now - that might be an order though.

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • Options
    atlgaxtatlgaxt Member Posts: 501
    It think you cannot go wrong with any of those choices. I really think it comes down to personal choice / perspective and the image you are trying to project. Face it, even if you claim you are not trying to project and image with a car, you are actually still doing it.

My personal choice of those three would be the Subaru. Fun, good safety and an outdoorsy image. Reliability and durability should be good. Interior room is probably the weakest point.

I could not fault you for getting a Magnum. That is a cool ride. I'd be a little worried about reliability. Don't know for a fact, but it seems the sloping roof might reduce the utility at the back somewhat.

Of the three, I am least impressed with the Volvo. I am not sure it would be worth the extra price, if equipped on a comparable level with the other two. I know Volvo's are supposed to last forever, but I think maintenance costs are higher. This is a good car, but the competition (specifically including the other cars on your list)is really good.
  • Options
    seadoosandiseadoosandi Member Posts: 19
    I bought a 2005 Magnum RT and just love it. Its got almost 2k miles so far. I've noticed that while at a stoplight the whole car shakes. It happens intermittenly. Before I take my concern to the dealer I wanted to see if anyone else has noticed this. As a woman you know they'll think I am crazy. Is it possible there is a motor mount loose?
  • Options
    slam2slam2 Member Posts: 23
    Yep, sure have and I'm comfortable with it. That car has serious HP and it doesn't surprise me that it will shake with that much tork and that many horses. If I were you, I'd just sit bac and enjoy it and then let her rip.

My RT is fast and cool and my wife and I both love it.

Slam2
  • Options
    The RT can have a rough idle, especially when compared to a V6 or a 4 cylinder car. You can have the dealer check to see if anything can be done about it. Mine does it a little, but to me it just reminds me that I have a 340 HP beast lurking under the hood waiting to spring forth. A guy thing, to be sure, but I like it.
  • Options
    Used to call the shaking the "big block rock" with my 454 equipped Buick. Magnum is too much fun, I need to get one of my own.
  • Options
    BobsGT235BobsGT235 Member Posts: 63
    My 05 Magnum RT idles smooth. Maybe you just need a different brand of fuel?
  • Options
    seadoosandiseadoosandi Member Posts: 19
    When you say a different brand of fuel do you mean a different grade(I've been putting in medium unleaded, 89 octane) or a different vendor, i.e. texaco, conoco, etc..?
  • Options
    dntevendnteven Member Posts: 1
    Great car (Mineral Grey Hemi RT) for the money but a few nagging issues:

How many out there have problems with the car pulling to the right? (even after the dealer realigns it) How many have lost an air bag

control module? How many think the brake pedal position is lame? HID lamp kit? Finding hi-perf tires in a size even close to the stock diameter?

Chains for stock diameter tires?

I have accumulated a lot of links and part info for the car since delivery in July 04 and can share this with forum members.
  • Options
    rgdawsonrgdawson Member Posts: 11
    My Magnum RT does not idle rough at all. You should have it checked out. I think I read somewhere that there was some sort of programming bug in early models that caused rough idle that has been fixed.
  • Options
    The Magnum V8 has a powerful engine, so i would suggest that you use premium fuel in it. It does make a difference. I would use premiun fuel in any vehicle that has a V8. I had an Monte carlo SS back in high school, and money was tight back in those days. I used premium fuel faithfully, but I went the cheap route cause I thought it wouldn't make a difference, and I can tell you it does. My car idled roughly, and shut off at times, and it wasn't smooth. I switched back to premium and my car ran fine again. I suggest you use premium for your vehicle.
  • Options
    beachhemibeachhemi Member Posts: 1
    I took delivery of my RT on June 19th First one in my area. We love how the car handles took it on a 5,000 mile vacation was very pleased. BUT... we have had the tires rotated and a front in alignment done at dealership and it still pulls to the right. Also has any one had any problems with the adjustable pedels not moving. I've had it replaced once and it is doing it again.
  • Options
    'txride'txride Member Posts: 2
    darn! it does pull right, i think it's its height and geometry of both car and the road(crown), brake pedal sucks too - to much aft - tires the foot with frequent changes. as for the HID, i've gotten one, works OK, only problem is with a filament length in HID bulbs - light beam shoots down, so after adjustment your high beam is totally an anti-aircraft application. bought HID kit on ebay(low $200s),installation was very easy. don't get anything above 8000K; light is getting blueish-dim. i got 10000 K and it is little to purplish.

no problems with passenger airbag.

couldn't advice on tires; straight from the dealer changed it to 20''275/40 set. i recommend this move, car looks spectacular.
  • Options
    dan350-380dan350-380 Member Posts: 1
    i ordered my magnum rt awd around 2/8/04 a little over 2 months later i come to find out that they have canceled all production on the AWD magnums, i'm not sure why or what is going on but if you have one on order call your dealer and expect bad news. If anyone has any info on the cancleation please respond
  • Options
    seadoosand-- I used Citgo, Gulf and Texaco 89 octane fuel and the engine idles smooth. So try a couple of different brands with the same 89 octane.
  • Options
    Yes, according to the Chrysler factory restriction sheet dated Jan 11 2005, the Magnum RT AWD is built out for the rest of the model year.

(Not sure how you ordered a Magnum AWD back in Feb 04 unless that was a typo... the ordering code for the AWD wasn't ready that far back.)

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • Options
    doitduetdoitduet Member Posts: 1
    Love the car and so does all sorts of folks any were we go. Even the cops, my wife just got a speeding ticket keeping up with traffic but he picked her out of the herd "56 in a 45 construction zone".

Magnesium r/t with the Safety package Side air bags and run flat tires.

Mine had been pulling to the right since I got it. just had the 6k service and tire rotation. My dealer said there was some type of service memo on the problem with them pulling to the right. I need to bring it back because the machine was broken.

Please send those links
  • Options
    jeaniet57jeaniet57 Member Posts: 2
    I wonder if you've ever got the right pull investigated further? I just got mine back from an independent alignment shop because my Dodge dealer does not have an alignment rack. My tires are worn on the outside because of the tilt on the wheels and it still pulls to the right. I am going to pursue this problem and insist on new tires also. Please let me know if you've gone any further with this. Thanks. Jean Taylor jeant57@sbcglobal.net
  • Options
    doitduet-- The tires that come with the protection package are self sealing and not run flat tires.
  • Options
    jeffshadowjeffshadow Member Posts: 13
    In answer to the request for photos of the "MILW SDL-39" Magnum SXT AWD, the paint should be complete by mid-March. The Magnum was built and delivered a bit sooner than I expected, as the appointment at the custom shop was pre-set for March 26, 2005. If you want to get a "prototypical" idea of the paint scheme go to www.MRHA.com and enjoy the CMStP&P (Milwaukee Road) locomotives. We plan to drive the Magnum to Sioux City, Iowa for the MRHA convention in June.

Still waiting for Calif. license plates so we can exchange them for the "MILW RR" plates,which we have on our "train-shelf".
  • Options
    blkmagnumblkmagnum Member Posts: 2
    Just took delivery on a black AWD RT. I ordered in Oct. This car is sick. Handles well in the snow and on dry pavement.
  • Options
    cuppcupp Member Posts: 5
    Just wondering if you or anyone else has noticed any cuping of there frt. tires. I have 14k on my RT & boy are they hollowing. Yes , I know they should have been rotated a few miles ago(had them done today).
  • Options
    rusty2rusty2 Member Posts: 5
    I'm a California guy who's going to be moving to Nebraska in about six months and I'm interested in getting a Magnum RT. My question (and I apologize in advance if this has been covered but I waded through about 30 pages and didn't see it) is whether I should get AWD or RWD. Obviously, the Midwest has more snow and AWD does better in it, but with standard traction control, would the RWD be sufficient? Thanks for all the good info on thread. I've enjoyed reading the comments.
  • Options
    Well, after wading through the final 18 pages, I found some comments about driving in snow. Glad to have the input. It might be better for me to get the AWD, but I really don't care for the wheels as much. They look too much like the standard SXT wheels.

I went to two different large OC dealerships today. One had a dealer mark-up sticker of 3k and the other 5k on RTs. They each had 4 in stock. It's amazing to me in this day and age that they still do this kind of rubbish, esp. when Edmund's is showing that RTs here go for about a grand under the MSRP. I was also amazed by the salesguys. They didn't have a clue about the cars and options. I knew more than them after visiting Dodge's website and Edmund's. One guy even had me read over the info Dodge supplied its salesforce as talking points to see if "that would answer my questions." Then they both wanted to know what it would take for me to drive off in a new car, after I had just specified what colors and equipment I wanted and they had told me they didn't have it. They hadn't listened to a word I'd said. I told them I was too old to put up with that way of doing business and will check out other dealerships tomorrow.
  • Options
    I'd look in Nebraska. Seems to me I saw on Ebay a Nebraska dealer with an AWD RT in the last week or so. Maybe it was a RWD RT. I live in KS, and I have driven my RWD RT in ice and snow with no problem. Of course, I took things pretty slow and careful.
  • Options
    Keep in mind that AWD RTs are donme for the 05 model year. You can't get one that's not already on a lot or in the pipeline until the 06 production begins this summer. Dealers know this and will price according to supply and demand (no more supply, high demand).

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • Options
    jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    You're right. The 06's won't be here until July/August. Many of our customers are having a hard time adjusting to supply and demand issues of the vehicle. It's easy to blame the dealer for price gouging or greed, but consider that between now and the 2006's we'll have 6 AWD RT's that are not currently spoken for. I'll bet I could sell them all next week at invoice on ebay, but the TMV in our area is truly over MSRP - and that's okay. Eventually (i'll bet) it will be very close to invoice.
  • Options
    Went out today to three more Orange County, CA dealerships, one of which told me that their markup on the RT was 10k. Yeah, right. Went to the next two armed with my Edmund's info, including the estimated value of my trade-in, which was a '01 Subaru Outback. I was looking for a black rwd RT with side air bags, navigation, convenience groups satellite radio. One had a car coming in in a month with everything I wanted, plus a sunroof, which I really didn't care about. The other dealer had one sitting on the lot with everything but the satellite radio. Both quickly met my price, and even upped my trade-in value to make the deal. I took the one that was in stock and drove over to the Pacific Coast Highway up through Laguna Beach with a huge smile on my face. As much as I liked the Outback for its utility and comfort, I haven't been this excited about a car for years.
  • Options
    Enjoy your trip to Sioux City. If you get a chance, see a show at the Orpheam Theatre while you are there. It is a beautiful venue. I'm from Sioux City. Enjoy your Magnum and best wishes for your trip in June.
  • Options
    ppugppug Member Posts: 9
    I bought my RT last June, have loved it despite the poor build quality and the absolutely terriable dealerships (Gurnee Illinois and Palatine Illinois specifically).

Anyhow for those of you with the markup problems... have you tried using a "friends and family" to buy? Mine was quoted over the MSRP I never talked price with them and then pulled out the friends and family at the last minute.... was a priceless expression on their face.

Also has anyone been able to get the overhead garage door buttons to work? mine never have.
  • Options
    cuppcupp Member Posts: 5
    Didn't have any trouble with progaming the garage door openers in my RT ,they work great!! Also have them in my RAM no trouble there either.
  • Options
    beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Well, I haven't been driving the Magnums here in MD where there is some snow and ice during the winter. However, I can tell you this. For all the acclaim BMW gets (and I really do love their cars), you can easily find them populating ditches during an ice/snow storm. I have close friends that refuse to drive in the snow because they're afraid of getting stuck (even with BMW's traction control system).

Not that they're bad cars, but there are just some limits on how far you can take the natural law of physics. So, you're probably better off getting an AWD if you can find it, otherwise, when you get the RWD, just remember to take it easy when the conditions are poor.
  • Options
    jglackinjglackin Member Posts: 164
    Good job, but don't forget to mention that participation in the friends and family (and similar programs) is voluntary, so the dealer COULD have turned your business away.

Your homelink may be difficult to program if your garage door opener has rolling code technology...check your owners manual.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    I finally had a good opportunity to drive both a Magnum RT AWD and a Freestyle Limited on 1/30 on freeways and other roads for as long as I wanted to drive. The Magnum is a luxury car by comparison - it is roomier, more comfortable, quieter, smoother, and obviously faster, while producing the same highway fuel mileage. It seems that Consumer Reports must have made some sort of blunder in testing the car, as the ride quality is good - better than the Freestyle, and better than our C230, and better than the 2002 Mountaineer I will be selling. You feel the bumps, but not harshly, as if all of the bunps are rounded over. The car is also quiet. It was an easy choice. I have already been exchanging E-mails with the dealer in Idaho. We were already planning a trip to Idaho and Washington in the Spring, so it would be convenient to buy if from them.
  • Options
    blkmagnumblkmagnum Member Posts: 2
    Just so you know there is no difference between gasoline brands. All gas travels through the same pipelines. The only difference is the additives which are used, although these differences are miniscule. Saw a show on History Channel which explained this.
  • Options
    fsmmcsifsmmcsi Member Posts: 792
    Yes, I have been to gasoline distribution facilities (the places from which the tank trucks which go to the various stations originate). They have tanks of gasoline, and then they have smaller tanks of the additives for the various brands.
  • Options
    smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    I drove the same too vehicles last week in succession, too. However, these two were a FWD Freestyle and RWD Magnum. I have to agree with you, the Magnum is much more luxurious feeling, much quieter (the Ford engine was mighty noisy when pushed, the Hemi was just smooth), and the ride in the Magnum was good. I do like the way the rear seats fold into the floor in the Freestyle. The Ford is underpowered in my way of thinking.