Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does the Protege compare in reliability to Civic or Corolla?

Comments

• Reading comments here regarding this topic and I believe anyone thinking that a Protege is a great car must be crazy. The car isn't in the same league as the Corolla or the Civic. If it was, people would be flocking to Mazda dealerships in droves.

Let's face it, Mazda is nothing more than a mid level car company at best!
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    And the facts you have to back up your statement would be? What?
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    People are like sheep - they follow.

Hence the herd goes to Honda and Toyota for reliable, but very average vehicles in terms of driving fun.

Have you ever driven a Protege (ES, P5, MP3) and a Corolla S or Civic LX back to back?

I know you haven't b/c if you did, you wouldn't have posted that message.

Well, enjoy the herd :)

Dinu
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    fritz--I have the 2.0L.

mott--go hide under a bridge.
  • zueslewiszueslewis Posts: 2,353
    That's not a real claim.
  • even more impressive. The 1.8 should at least equal them. I'm going to keep track of my mpg over a month or so just to get a better feel for my true mileage.
  • boggseboggse Posts: 1,048
    I think all of these cars are very close in reliability. I certainly haven't had any problems with my Protege. There are more important issues in my mind.

Having driven the Automatic versions of the 2003 Corolla, Civic, and Protege5 (and 2001 Protege sedan) this week while shopping for a new car for my wife, I can say that the Honda and the Mazda seem tighter and more solidly built. The Corolla was quietest on the highway, but it is a buzzy affair getting there. The Civic had the best engine/transmission combo and highway ride. The Protege had the best seating position by far(don't even get me started on the Corolla), best handling, and scored poorly only in fuel economy. Well, I will take the hit in fuel economy to actually have a car that is comfortable to drive, especially over long distances. When talking about Japanese (the Protege being the only one actually built in Japan any more) economy sedans, these are the issues that are important. Reliability was perfected by these companies long ago.
  • Come on people, the horn trumpeting regarding the Protege is hilarious. I see a lot of Corollas and Civics on the road each day and I am lucky to see one Protege every two weeks or so.

If the Protege was as great as everyone says it is, how come customers are not flocking to Mazda dealerships in the hundreds? A month or so ago, I so zero percent financing by Mazda for 5 years,
    how come I haven't seen Protege's all over the road?

Mazda was trying to give them away and no one went for the carrot. The next thing you people will start telling me is that the Yugo was the forerunner to the Protege and it was just as good a car!
  • newcar31newcar31 Posts: 3,711
    Sales volume = Best car?

What makes the Civic and Corolla so much better? Do they handle better than the Protege? Are they more fun to drive? Do they look better? Are they a better value? Are they built in Japan? Do they come with 4 wheel disc brakes? No, no, no, no, no, and no. Thanks! Come again!
  • Thought everyone would be interested in this statistic:

http://www.nicb.org/services/top_stolen_100vehicles.html

you're way off with no basis for your opinion.

Just because you may not like Mazda doesn't make you right. And you don't have any idea how many Mazdas were sold - you're quoting statistics from what you see on the road - not very scientific for a basis for an argument.

And, no, I don't own a Mazda.
    I would like to say it reflects the IQ of today's car buyer, but I cannot since I think the Civic is a good choice for many people. I think Mazda suffered a corporate identity crisis when it tried to compete head to head in the realm of generic automobiles with the likes of Toyota and Honda. Luckily, they seem to have overcome this with a slew of unique, fun to drive vehicles like the Protege5, RX-8, and Mazda 6.
    Protege is

#1 sold car in Quebec
    #3 sold car in Canada

Dinu
    Protege must be good in snow and resist rusting.
    ok in snow -like any other car

As for rust, old PROs are in better shape than old Civics. I used to have a Civic - it had rust holes in it by 2000 (it was a 93 model).

Canadians prefer smaller cars than Americans -there really is no need for an Accord, when a Civic will do the same job but for less. That's just my opinion, but then again, I like small European cars and detest large sedans, minivans and trucks (aka: SUVs).

Dinu
  • tbonertboner Posts: 402
    People don't go for the Protege because

a) Honda/Toyota have more name recognition.
    b) Mazda's typically ride more harshly in the opinion of the typical appliance driver

A driving enthusiast will probably like the Protege better than the other two. A toaster driver will probably like the Honda or Toyota more.

However, I wonder if mott_da_hoople uses the same logic to choose the best burger.

Just because McDonalds sells the most hamburgers, doesn't mean they make the best hamburgers.

FWIW,

TB
    Expert in bad logic.
    Good, even great logic if I may say!

Dinu
    You come across as ignorant (the TH member agreemennt prohibits me from going any further).

That being said, I don't bother discussing with people like that.

Dinu
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,028
    ......because someone would even think of comparing a Protege to his beloved, plain vanilla Corolla.
    don't appreciate your comments, eh?

No reason for personal attacks and country attacks - that's plain childish.

Again, I'll state - I see every model from every manufacturer on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. I review 100 cases a week, usually writing reports on 50 - the vehicles I see the least are Honda, Mazda, Suzuki and Toyota, in that order.

Sorry, but Nissan, Subaru, VW, Isuzu and most domestics don't make the "least seen" list - I see plenty of them.
    I find it interesting that you mention Subaru when your Town Hall Profile lists the following:

* The car I am shopping for is a 2003 Subaru Impreza.

I find it even more interesting since my wife and I are very close to deciding to buy a Forester, which is essentially an Impreza. Any comments?

Using car thieves as a benchmark for what cars are more reliable has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever seen posted here. The only thing it benchmarks is which manufacturers are overcharging for spare parts.
    I see WRXs in lemon law suits, but half of them are beat to death or the service department doesn't care - must be a New Jersey thing.

I don't see any major trends with the Impreza (and certainly not the Forester). I've only seen 6-8 Foresters out of 2,000 cases.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. I contend that most issues are caused, rather than repaired by the service department.
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/020104-1.htm

"Leading the sales gains for Mazda was its compact Protegé, which recorded a 50% year-over-year increase to reach 46,323 sales making it the third best selling passenger car in Canada".

Dinu

Other info you might care to know: Car and Driver Nov. Issue www.caranddriver.com

Protege

"Highs: Solidly built, sporty quickness of the controls, great driving position.

Lows: Hard ride, abrupt clutch engagement, fairly noisy inside.

The Verdict: A four-door Miata."

Civic

"Highs: Great-fitting cockpit, slick shifter, good control layout, adept in the twisties.

Lows: Way too many rattles, way too many shades of metallic in the paint, harsh ride, numb path control on the interstate.

The Verdict: Something new from Honda — a loser."

Ouch!
    Dinu
    You and your buddy Mike are the ones causing the stir - lighten up.

And yes, I've spoken with Canadian people before and I'm a big fan of Doug and Bob McKenzie, "The Great White North" guys. I understand the "eh" thing.

Canadians never did anything to me, and probably not to you either, so lighten up - we have a lot of Canadians here.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    What's the big deal with sales numbers in Canada vs. the U.S.? Or sales numbers at all for that matter? What the heck does that have to do with the title of this discussion? You guys wanna get back on track and stop this incessant, never-ending and never-gonna-end Honda vs. Toyota vs. Mazda war? It ain't never gonna have a winner ...

I've owned three Proteges (actually four, if you count my wife's 2002 Protege5). Here's my history from a reliability point of view:

December 1991: Purchased new 1992 LX.

August 1992: Hydroplaned and totaled car. (Bridgestone Potenza RE92s were bald at 28,000 miles -- treadwear rating was only 160 and I hadn't bothered to check them; I was a college student, and I encountered a heavy summer downpour. I hit the rear of a stopped Volvo 245DL going 45 mph. Safety perspective: Even though the car only had those motorized "passive restraint" belts, I walked out of it.)

September 1992: Took insurance check and purchased another new 1992 LX.

December 1994: Traded car for pickup truck after driving it 83,000 miles in only 27 months! (And to deliver pizzas at that!) Never had one problem with the car.

May 2000: After horrible experience after horrible experience with the Ford-built, re-badged Ranger Mazda pickup, traded pickup for 2000 Protege ES.

Today: After 31 months and 47,600 miles, the only problems I have had were both caused by me: Early on I tried to cram a box that was too large into the trunk opening; it was too tall and I broke the little plastic clip that holds the upper trunk springs together. (Cost of said clip: $2.00.) I also inserted a CD with a homemade label into the CD player (BIG no-no, it even says so in the manual) and jammed the player. But even though I caused both of those things, both were covered under the 3 year, 50,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranty (which, I might add, beat Honda's and Toyota's, but now Mazda's upped the warranty another step to 4 years/50,000 miles). Otherwise I've had no problems with the car.

We bought my wife's Protege5 last January. She has just over 12,000 miles on it and the only time it's seen the shop was for two oil changes and tire rotation.

In short, in almost a decade of driving four separate Proteges, I've never encountered a problem that I didn't cause. And one saved my life. (I just steer away from Bridgestone tires!)

Meade
This discussion has been closed.