Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tundra vrs F 250?

rstubblefieldrstubblefield Member Posts: 1
I am a very happy Toyota owner. My T100 has 157 K, and besides regular maintenance and tires, I have only replaced a starter, clutch, and battery. I fully expect to see 300 K with no difficulty. I am looking at the Tundras but feel it will not be big enough for my needs.

We will be towing two horses and a modest size trailer. My guess is that towing weight would not exceed 8000 lbs. I really don’t think the Tundra will handle that, so I have been looking at the Ford F 250 5.4 L 8 cylinder. I like the feel and drive of the truck but I am afraid it will not even come close to giving the faithful, trouble-free service that Toyota is so noted for.

I had also heard that this engine in the Ford is not that reliable and durable. Any info any one can provide will be greatly appreciated.

OK Ford F 250 owners. Convince me this is the truck to buy.

Comments

• tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    If you are towing that kind of weight, get a F250 with the V10 (or a diesel if you can afford it).

However, hopefully a Tundra will tow that weight maybe in 2004 or 2005.

I will add though that Tundras to tow well at the limit, but I would not suggest it for everyday use. My experience being with my first V6 Tundra towing 5100 lbs.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Weigh your trailer fully loaded,or get the dry weight from the manufacturer of the trailer you want.I wouldn't think you'd be over 6000 lb.Good luck getting over 300k.I think a satisfied owner of a T-100 would be happy with a v8 F250 but a tundra MIGHT do the job.

kip
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    its rated at 7200lbs towing with the airbags who knows? Course I'd go with the f250 no doubts about it.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Will probably be cheaper.
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    I have a friend who's daughter has a f150 that she tows a 2 horse trailer with one horse.She loves it but it's not that much more truck than a Tundra.Mr Stubblefield is a die-hard Toyota fan.If he's not going to upgrade to bigger brakes and more suspension he's sure to go for the toyota.I have another friend who tows a 4-horse "slant" trailer with a chev 2500 with a 5.7.Not enough motor for MY tastes (I tow less with my 8.1)but he's happy.To each thier own I guess.

kip
  • toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    A couple of things to consider. First, the Tundra is only rated to tow 6,500 lbs. So an 8,000 lb trailer is going to be over that limit. Also, what is the time frame that you're looking for? They have a "superduty" model of the Tundra in the works that are expected probably sometime in '04 or '05. From some people that I've spoken to, look for a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup offering 4 full-size doors and a 6 foot bed. Probably with a towing capacity of somewhere to the tune of 10,000 lbs. There isn't alot of info on it right now, but as we get more, I'll be sure to post it for you.

Ken
  • oldharryoldharry Member Posts: 413
    those are the questions I would ask before advising you on which truck to buy. You like Toyotas, so if the Tundra CAN handle it, and you only need to tow the horses a couple times a year for a couple hundred miles, You will enjoy the ride and economy of the smaller truck the rest of the time.

If you tow often and far, Get the bigger truck. Every trip most people think of something else to throw in the truck or trailer that they wished they had last time. If you buy the minimum equipment, the time eventually comes when you wish you had a bigger truck and a bigger trailer.

Harry
    The tundra can tow 7200 lbs.
    Yes it can, but is it the best choice for frequent towing of heavy trailers? Talk to horse people and you may be surprised what they say about pulling horses. Horses move in the trailer, and they weigh a lot. There is a reason the Ford Super Duty is the most common truck in the parking lots at horse shows.

Harry
    I would definitly get a super duty for a horse application. However, I would not undermine what the Tundra can do.
    Are good trucks. They are fast, comfortable, manuverable, economical, and well made. This topic, however, was started by someone who tows horses. It sounds like the Tundra could do the job if it was all that was available, and my recomendation was to get the Tundra if he tows occasionally, get the Super Duty if he tows those horses a lot.

Harry
  • brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    why not just ride the horses? Isn't that why you have them? : )
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    The 2001 Tundra was limited to 45 MPH when towing more than 2,000 pounds (per the owners manual) - did Toyota upgrade the 2002/2003 model to get rid of this restriction?

If the Tundra still has this limit get the F-250.
  • tk865tk865 Member Posts: 52
    For towing horses, get the F250. I'm hoping Toyota will come out with a "superduty" soon, but until then, we just don't have a heavy tower. As for the 45mph restriction, AFAIK, all vehicles have that warning somewhere in the manual, unless they're designed as "tow vehicles" (which means the F250/350 may not have that restriction). If you'll note, U-Haul trailers also say not to exceed 45mph. It's a CYA legal thing.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    Get the F-250 with the 5.4 and 4.10 rearend. In crewcab shortbed form, you should get around 14-15 mpg. At least that's what most owners of this truck tell me. You'll most likely never regret getting too much truck, you WILL regret getting too small of a truck. I have an F-350 to pull an 8,000 lbs travel trailer. My truck does it with ease and therefore I am relaxed when pulling it. I also know that the truck can handle the TT in most any "accident avoidance" manuever if needed.

As far as the Tundra is concerned, I'm sure Toyota makes a fine truck. I once had an '82 SR5 with the 22R in it. I loved that little truck, never a moments trouble. But, I am more than a little cautious about accepting the Tundra's claim to 7,200 lbs of towing capacity. IMO, I think that is too much weight for that truck.
This discussion has been closed.