Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    With that price you can almost buy a new one, considering all the latest incentives.

I'll sell you my loaded up 04 6S with 14k miles for $1k more, and in probably better condition. ;)
  • sodeepcsodeepc Member Posts: 4
    Incentives? Like what? I don't see any incentives available.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    All sarcasm aside, the price is entirely too high. Check out other similarly-equipped vehicles in your area, and check out kbb.com to get some pricing information. I wouldn't pay over $14K, considering it probably was sold new for only $22.5K (some would say even $14K is too much). Bargain it down, and don't be afraid to walk. There will be plenty of other nice examples out there.

As far as problems... Make sure the car has the current "reflashes" for the ecu, and that the tires and brakes are new or barely-used. If it's an '03 with manual tranny, it may have a short-lived clutch. Throttle-bodies and PCV valves are possible problem spots as well. You can't do much for the TB, but a bad PCV valve starts with excessive oil consumption, and could lead to total engine failure. In other words, check the oil at least once a week, something I do religiously with both my cars, not just the 6.

I'm not trying to scare you from the 6, just giving you a heads-up about what you can expect. That being said, if you can talk down the price, get the 6! Much more fun-to-drive than any Accord, hands-down!
    I don't know about your region, but in mine there is a $2500
    rebate plus $1000 rebate for Mazda financing.
    Better deals toward the end of season. Shouldn't be too hard
    to find a decent deal if you do your homework. :)
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    anyone painted the brake calipers on a 6s? have the 17" rims and since it is entiurely exposed - ould probably look real nice if they were painted.
    we got a 6 sport 4 cylinder bose and roof for about $20,000, on a sticker price of $25,000 or so. this included $2500 rebate + 500 credit rebate.

then add ttl on top.

i would definitely price out a new one and compare apples to apples.
  • rtalartala Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 6s with auto trans and have been experiencing similar issues. Almost immediately, I was dealing with very hard cold shifting which had the dealer flashing my system. Then I've had the engine randomly rev up at cruising speeds (flat road, not accelerating or decelerating) from around 3000rpm to 4500rpm while staying in 4th. Again, the dealer flashed the system. Had an issue while accelerating onto the highway where the trans stuck in passing gear and the car hit the rev limiter and starting bucking (almost rear ended because the car slowed dramatically). Still revs up when not called for. It has been in 6 times, has about 9000 miles, and they kept it for a week just to have the system flashed and nothing yet fixed. I received a call from the dealership the other day saying they just got an update from Mazda and new parameters to program in, so they flashed it again. Guess what? Not fixed. Anyone else dealing with this please post. Thanks
  • saurin666saurin666 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry, could not think of a better description for it!
    I have a 2003 6i. I have done a lemon law on it twice now for problems with the brakes. First it was the fromt brakes, where the rotors had been replaced 3 times before the first lemon action occurred. that time, I was told that the original rotors have now been replaced with a more heavy duty set. they actually look bigger than the rea ones. The 2nd lemon law action was for the rear brakes, where when they were hot ( I live in South FL), the interior of the car sounded as if I were next to a fog horn. The factory rep (Tony) couldnot belive that the dealer (Delray Mazda) was not able to "find" this problem, especially after I showed him. Well, they replaced the rear rotors too. But now, the fronts are acting up again. Every time I come to a gradual stop, the front brakes wobble, studder, shake, however you want to describe it. I drive mostly on the highway with the car back and forth to work and it is mostly parked on the weekends. I am sure that they are gonna say I drove thru a puddle when the brakes were hot. I know of another person who had the same 03 as me with exactly the same issue. She now has an 06 (what a dummy!) that has the same issues too. What the hell is Mazda's problem> Anybody got any ideas?
    I also live in S.FL, and go to Delray Mazda for all my service. I always deal with Mike Galahue. I can't beleive they could'nt find the problem with your brakes. Coincidendlly, i'm bringing my car there this week for a TSB on the brakes. Mine are clunking when i step on pedal first thing in the morning. After that they seem to be fine, no clunking,shaking,wobbling or any decreased feel. I'll see how they are fixing this item and let you know what happens. I have an 04 6S.
  • sepang6sepang6 Member Posts: 6
    I had the same problems. They replaced the entire brake booster. I also filed a Lemon Law suit against them. I have my court date in August. If you don't mind me asking what did you get (compensation). My Lawyers are requesting $5400.00
  • mobile1phmobile1ph Member Posts: 6
    I recenly put in some coolant into my car a couple weeks ago. I checked the coolant today and it turned orange. What could it be? is it rust? 2nd my oil on the dipstick is a little past the MAX mark..will it hurt my engine? and lastly i'm getting very low power in third gear..what could be the cause of that? I would appriciate any advise anyone can give me. My car has 15,000 miles on it only.

Thanks a lot!
  • saurin666saurin666 Member Posts: 2
    Of course, after every factory rep visit, Delray Mazda was able to miraculously rectify the immediate problem. It seems that they are reluctant to perform a warranty issue unless they get a kick in the pants from Mazda. Anyway, as a result of their fixes, I did not get to turn the vehicle in for recompensation under the lemon law. These brake issues seem to be the kind that re-appear after 6 months on the road. What I need to do is find out from the AG if I can still pursue the lemon law claim even though it has been past the two year limit even though I am still having to deal with the problem. I now have my car into service at West Palm Auto Mall and can't wait to hear what they have to say about the brake problem.
    As for compensation, consider howmuch you have spent per month in payments, all of the repair costs you have incurred and see if their is a diff between what your are asking compared to what you get. And then ask how much the BBB is getting off the top. Get receipts!
  • mazdaguy911mazdaguy911 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 mazda 6 with the v-6 and 17-inch wheels. I too have had the same break problems. Actually I am taking my car in tonight to have the brakes looked at for the 3rd time. The first time I took it in they turned the front rotors. The second time I demanded they replace the front rotors. It should be intersting to see what they want to replace this time. My father has been an automotive tech for ford for 18 years and an automotive instructor for the last 17 year and he said the breaks are not heavy duty enough for the car. If I file a lemon law claim and recieve money I am going to install an aftermarket break system with bigger rotors and calipers. My fear is my car goes out of warranty in December.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    If I file a lemon law claim and recieve money I am going to install an aftermarket break system with bigger rotors and calipers. My fear is my car goes out of warranty in December.

Check the lemon law in your state. Many states have the lemon law expire at 24,000 miles or so.

Are you concerned about your car going out of warranty because of your brake issue? If so, your brake pads and rotors are not covered after 12,000 miles.

I have a 2005 Mazda6i with 18,000 on it. No brake issues. Actually, no issues at all!
  • seth042280seth042280 Member Posts: 65
    the only thing I can think of . is possible mixing of coolants . I know it doesnt make orange but Green and Red could make a rusty color . that or its oil mixing with the coolant which would be very very bad .yes over filling your oil can be harmful . I am suprised you didnt get a CEL light . for the power loss there is actually a recall for this . Good luck
  • scottnjscottnj Member Posts: 6
    I've got a 2006 mazda6 and I popped the lumbar support bag or whatever it is that inflates just by leaning back to reach into my pocket! I don't really care cause I didn't use it anyway, but anyone have any clue how much that would cost to fix or would it be covered under warranty? Only got 11k miles on it.
    I brought my 6 in today to Delray Mazda for the previous brake issue of clunking in the AM, and they put new updated hardware clips holding the front pads. No more clunking and the pedal feels more solid than before. Great service from them. :)
    should be covered under warranty.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Beat the heat (going to need to do that here in the East!) tonight and stop in for a bit of car chat!

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • tsungtsung Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Just got my used 2004 Mazda 6, mileage 17k and having the noice (clunk ,squeak or squeal. whatever) when I release the brake slowly. It seems that a lot M6 owners have the same problem. Could anyone give me suggestions how to deal with this problem? Changing new rotor or new brake seems not working? and the warranty is expired for brake, do I have to pay if I want to change a new brake?

Thanks for the help!
  • idrivea6idrivea6 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 04 Mazda 6i and the brake fluid is green also. This must be normal.
  • idrivea6idrivea6 Member Posts: 3
    I've noticed on my 04 6i that the paint on the drivers side door below the rubber trim has a rough finish. When I bought the 6 it was a DEMO and the dealer told me that the car had no body damage. I have also noticed that the rear bumper paint is cracking. Has anyone else noticed this?
    I have an 04' 6s with 15k mi., and had a brake clunking issue when first starting out in the AM. Went to my dealer, and they installed updated brake hardware, as per TSB for brake moan, No charge and problem solved. :)
  • karm78karm78 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had the front lower arm bushings changed on my '03 Mazda6 (by the dealer). Got the car back, and found the vehicle shaking quite a lot when hitting 100 or 120 km/h (also got the steering yolk lubed). Took the car back to the dealer for a check up,i was told that the bushings are fine, just need to have the wheels balanced. Got the balancing done, the car rides much smoother now. I have found two differences, after the replacement of the bushings-:

1) The car feels more lighter
    2) There is a constant noise coming from the front when i hit 60 km/h or above. not to loud, but its there.

This is annoying the crap outta me. Please help.
  • westportwestport Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Mazda 6 with MT and 36,000 mi. There is a whine noise that is driving me crazy. It started out just in 1st gear, but now exists in all gears. It seems related to the transmission because if I press down on the clutch pedal the noise goes away. Took it to the dealer who said there was not a warranty issue and told me in effect to live with it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Not a warranty issue?!! How is a progressively-worsening whining sound from the transmission not an issue?

It would only be a non-warranty issue if other vehicles of the same year and model also have the same behavior, and there is no recall notice.

I had a whining noise coming from the rear differential on my MS6, and under warranty, I had a new differential dropped in. The whining noise is now gone. Your dealer shouldn't be giving you the runaround. Ask for the service manager, explain your issue and that you would like the Mazda regional tech/rep to take a look at the car to make sure. If you still get some BS answer, ask for the number to Mazda corporate so you can escalate the issue.
  • westportwestport Member Posts: 2
  • rblazekrblazek Member Posts: 1
    Have the same noise found that Mazda issued a Service Bulletin # 04-005/06 which changes the brake fluid due to deterioration . Will be covered under warranty
  • karyakartakaryakarta Member Posts: 17
    Hi there

I always try to keep up with the maintanance required by Mazda. However, upon checking with manual service book, I didn't see any transmission fluid flush / exchange required in the book. By any chance, does any of you know when this transmission fluid is due to be replaced? I have checked with a few authorized Mazda dealers in Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois, but everyone tells me different story as each dealer seems to have a different idea on when I am supposed to my transmission fluid flush/exchange. FYI, I currently own an automatic 2003 Mazda 6 2.3L with around 35k miles. Thanks and any advice / experience you can share will truly appreciated!
  • karyakartakaryakarta Member Posts: 17
    I always try to keep up with the maintanance required by Mazda. However, upon checking with manual service book, I didn't see any transmission fluid flush / exchange required in the book. By any chance, does any of you know when this transmission fluid is due to be replaced? I have checked with a few authorized Mazda dealers in Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois, but everyone tells me different story as each dealer seems to have a different idea on when I am supposed to my transmission fluid flush/exchange. FYI, I currently own an automatic 2003 Mazda 6 2.3L with around 35k miles. Thanks and any advice / experience you can share will truly appreciated!
    Drain - Refill every other oil change, and you'll be fine.
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Drain - Refill every other oil change, and you'll be fine.

:confuse:

You're kidding, right?
    For some people that worked, and for others like myself they had to replace the master cyl. and booster. That solved my issue with the brakes. :)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Don't they have synthetic trans fluid in the 6 that is good for "the life of the vehicle"? I would guess life of the vehicle would mean 100,000-150,000 mi????

Synthetic fluid would be very expensive to change every 10,000 miles. Even conventional trans fluid only needs changing about every 30,000 miles.

If it is synthetic fluid, I don't think I'd consider changing until at least 80,000 miles. That seems to be about the earliest recomendation I have read from folks who seem to know what they are talking about with regard to synthetic trans fluid.

My wife's Jetta has synthetic fluid and I figure in another 6-8 years when the mileage gets to 80,000 there will maybe be better information on what is advisable. I figure I'll check into it then and decide whether to change or keep going with the original fluid.
    No, I'm not kidding. I have the Jatco and that combined with a good trans. cooler will keep it going for a long time in the FL heat. :shades:
  • heyitsdougheyitsdoug Member Posts: 2
    My Mazda 6 Grand Sport is only a few weeks old and somehow, I havent any idea what happened, but while on the freeway yesterday I noticed what I thought were drops of water on my hood, maybe 6 or 7 of them, when they didn't eventually evaporate I knew it wasn't water. So when I inspected them they are drops of sap or something similiar. They are very sticky and smell like sap. I have yet to wash the car for the first time as I wanted to treat the finish first. Any ideas on how I might be able to remove these sap drops without damaging the finish? They are soft yet definitely stuck to the hood.
    Any help appreciated!
    Doug
  • radocharadocha Member Posts: 26
    Try something listed in the link below...that is also my project for this weekend.
    http://www.bmwworld.com/repairs/detailing/tree_sap.htm

Auto trans fluid replacement interval will vary with climate and driving (city/hwy/tow)...with the orig fluid, I would assume avg is 60k with 30k for cautious.
    10k is for extreme, which I consider:
    - living within 15 degrees from equator and blasting away from sand storms
    - couldn't afford F150
    - race...but why buy auto?
    - rolling back odo by driving in reverse
    - unemployment rate just jumped to 20% in my city
    - talking to your car before you go to bad each night...can't blame anyone for loving the car
    ...take the 10k with a smile
  • pizza2pizza2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a basic Mazda6 that I just got in April 2006. For at least the last two months, I have been experiencing the surging/power loss problems that are currently the result of a recall on the MazdaSpeed6. It's now at the dealer for the second time and they can't duplicate the problem. When this happens, my dashboard lights flash on and off. Has anyone else experienced this problem with the Mazda6? If so, was it fixed and what was done to fix it? Thanks!
  • heyitsdougheyitsdoug Member Posts: 2
    Radocha,

Thank you for the link. That was exactly what I was looking for. :-)

Not to push my luck here with a couple more questions for anyone that has some suggestions but:

1. I have yet to wash the car for the first time, I read somewhere on here about a product I can buy (called ShineGleen or something like that) that should be applied before the car is washed. This supposedely protects the original finish and helps prevent "swirls" in the paint from repeated washes.
    2. Any recommendations on what products work best to protect all the interior leather surfaces?
    3. I want to remove or protect the factory Mazda floor mats, any suggestions? Is there a reputable online etailer that sells aftermarket mazda mats?
    4. MECHANICAL QUESTION: (Im asking this question here because I think the answer is obvious but I just want to make sure before I go to the dealer which is quite a distance from me) - My Mazda 6 does NOT have the Auto Climate control. When I move the temperature dial clockwise from the blue (cold) towards the red (warmer), the dial won't turn past about the halfway point (12:00 position). It turns counterclockwise all the way back into the blue but stops turning into the red.
    the air does get warmer but never gets hot. I'm assuming this is not normal?

I tried to search for some of these ansswers but I am "on the road" and only have dial-up access and it takes foreverr for pages to dislplay. So I appologize if these are answered already on here.
    Once again, thank you for the help.

Doug
  • rampedramped Member Posts: 358
    Mazda recommends a transmission fluid change at 30K.

There's nothing in my owner's manual ('04 6s) about a transmission fluid change either, so I sent Mazda an email and asked.
    I've started to hear a groaning sound when I apply the brakes when they are warm, and the pedal feels a little mushy. Also heard a clunking sound once or twice. Guess I'll have to visit the dealer like several of you have.

No other problems to report in my '04 6s after 18,500 miles. It's been a good car. I am getting a little tired of the large turning radius, though, especially when my wife's Pilot is much more nimble.
    I replied to the post you had on the problems board.

Mazda recommends the transmission fluid be changed at 30K. That was in response to an email I sent.
  • pamablapamabla Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: Just purchased a 2006 Mazda6 S Grand Touring model on July 31, 2006. I bought the car for the styling, the Mazda name and for the awesome Bose system. Unfortunately, I had to take it back the next day due to severe pulling to the right. In the past month, I have had to take it back 4 times for alignments, forced road alignments, the possibility of it being the calipers (sp?)or a defect in the Pirelli tires. This past week the Mazda Service Dept. has had my car for the whole week. :mad: They still do not know what is wrong with it. :confuse: I have had to contact an attorney advising me of the Maryland Lemon Laws. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • slickdogslickdog Member Posts: 225
    Search this discussion for "subframe", there were some posts about others having to get the front subframe re-aligned and the mounting bolts re-torqued because of pulling problems if I remember correctly.
  • des5des5 Member Posts: 88
    Mine does this as well. The dealer gave me a similar explanation. I chalk it up to a crappy Ford engine.
  • zzzoom6zzzoom6 Member Posts: 425
    fyi...i think you're talking about the i4: it's a mazda engine, not a ford. the v-6 is more of a ford engine developed by cosworth and porsche. not that this helps your issue; hope you find a resolution to that. try to look at mazda6tech or mazda6club for more answers.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    for the labor day weekend, I took out both the front panels and sprayed on the rubberised undercoat to the insides of both the panels. What a difference in audio (even when standing still) and road noise.

I first applied the Dupli-color "Protective Paintable Rubberized Undercoating", followed by a thin layer of "Professional Undercoat with Sound Eliminator-Quick Dry". The reason I did that is that the second product dries very quickly and forms a thin rubber coating, whereas the first coat is pretty darn heavy (adds mass) but is slow to dry.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Join us for our weekly Mazda Club chat and meet & greet some of your fellow forums fanatics! ;)

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • angelsfanangelsfan Member Posts: 7
    It's been a while since I've been on the boards but I was compelled to post after seeing your post. A while back (maybe 50 pages or so), I too reported this same problem. I took it to the dealer twice. They could not duplicate the problem, so of course, there was no solution. Some think it could have to do with a software upgrade, others think it could be the fuel injector. Mention both to the dealer. You should go back and search the discussion of this issue. But the problem you described is exactly what happened to me. Dashboard flickering, car surging, and unable to accelerate. Very dangerous and scary. If the dealer can not diagnose the problem, look into your state's lemon law. My problem happened once more and never happened again. I have an '04 Mazda6 and this problem happened within my first 3 months of ownership and sparing occurrences of the problem continued for about a year. None since (thankfully). Let me know though if your dealer finds a solution for this problem, as I would like to know what is happening. There are a few reports of these occurrences in a few cars.

Good luck! :lemon:

UPDATE: Refer to message #1628 and track the following discussions.