Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• anthonysdanthonysd Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to all the great information on this site I just purchased a leftover 2006 6s 5 speed for $7,000 off MSRP. I was actually offered $8,000 off but I passed up the $1,000 MAC rebate to do my own financing. Sticker price was $23,400, I paid $16,400. I didn't put anything down out of pocket but they gave me enough on my trade to cover most of the sales tax so amount financed was $16,556. If you can find an '06 they're definitely making deals right now. This is in San Diego BTW.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Souds like there are some great deals on leftover 2006 models. I got a 2007, myself. On Jan 31, I paid $15,995 plus $129 document fee and TTL for automatic, 4 cyl, sport value. This was $5000 below MSRP, $2000 of which was the rebates.

I took the MAC financing to get the additional $1000 rebate, but I will be paying that off next week...with only $38 in interest charges.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Is this the car you bought? I saw one today and they look really sharp for a mid sized car. Was also considering the 6 when I got my Civic last year, but since we already have a 3s, figured I'd try another brand. Don't think the other half will be buying another Mazda though. She's already let me know that her next car will have leather and memory seats in a car sized like the Lexus I350.

The Sandman :)
    It's actually sport value edition and, yes that is what I bought.
  • whwongwhwong Member Posts: 5
    I am considering to get a 2007 Mazda6 i 5-door VE Auto. So from the previous posts it seems the deal right now is about $8K off MSRP for 2006 model and $5K off MSRP for 2007 model, just wonder anyone have more first hand information? I am expecting to get a $8K off MSRP deal for 2007 model later if not now. Also anyone know when exactly will the 2008 redesign be out?
  • mz6greyghostmz6greyghost Member Posts: 1,230
    Also anyone know when exactly will the 2008 redesign be out?

Latest rumors are that the redesigned Mazda6 will either debut, or appear in "concept" form, at the Frankfurt auto show this fall, and will appear later in '08 as a '09 model.

Of course, I'm sure that'll change... :)
  • werm9werm9 Member Posts: 8
    is the $5k off MSPR including the $1000 mac and $1000 customer cash discounts? even then its $3000 off msrp. which would put it below invoice. i have one on order and wonder how is everyone getting theirs for so much below MSRP
    Well, a dealer near me is now advertising Sport Value with automatic at $15,995, IIRC this is good through March 2. They do add a $99 service fee back in, but this is still ~$5000 off MSRP. I believe there is an extra $1000 auto show rebate in my area and there may still be dealer incentives on top of the rebates, as there was in Jan.

Edmunds editors may want to reconsider their choice of Hyundai Accent/Kia Rio as Editors' Most Wanted Sedan Under $15,000 for 2007 ;) . A 4 cyl, manual transmission, Mazda6 can probably be had for under $15,000 :D .
  • dano100dano100 Member Posts: 22
    My wife and I bought a 2006 Honda Civic LX last July. We had several problems, including 2 left strut replacements with less than 10K miles on the car. Although the mpg was very good, we never liked the car much. Seemed very low rent. We decided to look for a used 2004-2005, more upscale car. I was looking at a Mazda dealers website when I saw that they were advertising their 2006 Mazda 6's at 25% off. So I called to see if they had any left. That is when they told me they had 2 and there was an extra $1,000 off (Cleveland Auto Show discount). Several hours later we were signing papers on a Mazda 6s Grand Sport, Pebble Ash, 18" wheels, Bose, 6spd. automatic,leather, heated, etc.. The MSRP was $29,340 and with all the rebates we got it for $20,817. That's less money than an '07 basic Camry 4cyl. which we drove earlier in the day and found the interior to be extremely cheap (hard, cheap looking plastic everywhere with rough seams at every point you touch). For what we paid for the Mazda 6 I feel we made the right move. The quality of the interior materials is much better than the Camry's and although the exterior design is a little long in the tooth it is still a more expressive design than the Camry or Accord. And the handling is far superior. I only hope this car matches their reliability. :)
    Another way to look at the comparison to Honda and Toyota is the selling price, when comparably equipped, of the Mazda6 is about at the Civic or Corolla level rather than Accord or Camry.

(Though even within Mazda, the 3 does not seem to sell for much less than the 6)
  • dudette3dudette3 Member Posts: 45
    I am considering buying a 2006MY Mazda 6. Though the prices seem very good, I am concerned that these units have been sitting on the lot for 10 months and up... Anyone have any thoughts on this? Is the ~$2000 savings that will come with buying an older model year worth the cost I might incur down the road (warped rotors, etc?)?? would appreciate any guidance...
    When we bought a leftover 1997 Windstar, we just asked them to change the oil. My reasoning was maintenance schedule said 6 mo. or 5000 miles and the oil had been in there for 10 months.

I don't see why rotors would be affected, except maybe some rust that will come off with use. (We never had problems with rotors on that Windstar, it has over 100,000 miles and we are on the third set of pads on front, but still has original rotors)
  • keyur1keyur1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I'm getting the 2007 Mazda 6 S VE out the door in Phoenix AZ for $23300. Is this a reasonable price? The reason I ask is I didn't have to negotiate very hard for this price...the starting price of the car was the invoice price itself. All comments appreciated :)
    I think there is $2000 in rebates, if you take the non-discount MAC financing...so you should be able to get at least $2000 below invoice.

If there is an auto show in your area, there might be another $1000 rebate. Ads here were at about $5000 below MSRP, at least on the i, around auto show time.
  • keyur1keyur1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi Jeffy,
    There is no auto show in Phoenix for the next couple of months :cry: Also, I am financing through Capital One so the $1000 MAC finance bonus doesn't apply...Here is the breakdown of the price:

2007 Mazda 6s Value Edition

$ 21,800 Price
    - 1,000 Customer Cash
    $ 20,800 Price with Rebate
    + 440.60 Plates
    369.00 Doc Fee
    5.00 Tire Fee
    1,684.80 Tax
    $23,299.40 OTD

Thanks!
    You can take the MAC financing and payoff right away. I paid mine off after only 3 weeks...would have been two but I made a stupid error on the first chaecks I sent them :blush: .

Normally it will be a month to pay it off as you get the statement after about 3 weeks and if you call or go on website they give you payoff amount for 10 days ahead. I called early and was able to get payoff quote using SS#.

I paid $60 in interest to get the $1000 rebate. I would have paid cash otherwise.

Is $21,800 invoice? Have you tried other dealers...I had no problem getting email quotes at below invoice in Jan...pretty sure there was a $500 dealer incentive going at the time.

Wow! You guys pay heavy plate and document fees :surprise: . Nothing you can do about the plate fee, but does everyone out there charge that much for doc. fee?

Here (WI) it is $99-129, dealers were only allowed to start that scam a couple years ago. They set the fee and do not have to even have one but some try to claim it is a state fee.
    I was reading through some previous postings on the mazda 6 site. many people were complaining about wear on the seats (fuzzies). has this been an issue still, is it on the 06's too?
    I read some complaints about that too. But, I drove an '05 w/20K mi as a loaner a couple times and the fabric seemed fine to me.

Anyway, the fabric is different on '06 and '07's.
    Any one have any thoughts on this?

I loved driving the Mazda 6, however I am concerned with the consumer reports evaluatoin of it's reliability. The I4 got better ratings.

I am trying to understand how the ratings were established. The Fusion and Mazda 6 to my understanding have teh same engine right? So how does the Fusion get high engine/trans reliability for first year, and Mazda 6 has lower values?

Thanks for any input. Also, how about any information on an extended warranty? What is a reasonable cost to pay for one?
    Whew, glad I got the I4. ;)

The engines are the same or mostly so, the differences in CR results are most likely just random sample errors. CR gets its ratings by surveying its readers. The surveys are pretty poor, IMO, as the questions are too subjective. They ask something like "did you have a problem that you think was significant". There are a number of critiques of CR reliability reports at:

http://www.truedelta.com/pieces/think.php?session_code=

If I am unlucky and get stuck with a major repair bill after the warranty ends, I can afford this, so I do not bother with extended warranties. If this would be a major problem for you, then maybe it is worth getting this "insurance", as long as you are sure of what you are getting.

Edmunds "true cost to own" shows expected repair costs of $706 for 5 years 75,000 miles for the Mazda6. Note that this is only about $70 (or 10%) more than Camry or Accord.

Here is another piece of data on reliability of Mazda:

http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=24804
  • mojomovermojomover Member Posts: 8
    I am looking for a MAzda 6s and I have found a few 06 models out there. There is a dealer close by who is offering the car at around 17.5k but I think I should be able to decrease it down to around $16,500. Is this a good deal? Any ideas on what should be my target?

Lastly-any disadvantages on getting a 06 model? Thanks!
    I used to swear by Consumer Reports analysis when making an auto purchase. Their research used to be very reliable. But the last 2 cars I've owned which they rated very highly (an '05 Acura TL, their top rated car and an '06 Civic) were both poor cars in terms of quality :sick: . With both cars it was suspension issues, interior noises and poor quality of interior materials. This is my 2nd Mazda and my 1st, a Miata, was one of the most trouble free cars I have ever owned. I don't think you can beat the MAZDA6's combination of price, looks, handling, warranty and reliability. Go for it!
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    The Fusion and Mazda 6 to my understanding have teh same engine right? So how does the Fusion get high engine/trans reliability for first year, and Mazda 6 has lower values?

Mazda did have some early issues with the V6 but nothing really big....At this point all the kinks appear to be worked out & the Ford/mercury versions enjoy the luxury of a few years of improvements.
  • vgslvrvgslvr Member Posts: 2
    Can you please let me know how to get the 1,000 car show rebate. There is a show here in NY next week and I would like to take advantage of the discount.I am interested in the special touring edition of the MAzda 6s with auto, leather and nav system, I had seen a 2006 version but the dealer wanted 24,000 of the original 31,050 and I didn't feel it was a good deal. Any info would be appreciated.
  • solid1solid1 Member Posts: 11
    Ya, what's the deal with the auto show discount. Is this for real?
    All I can tell you is to ask your dealer. I actually didn't even have to ask, they volunteered the information (I was a repeat customer). But I am pretty sure this is a national policy of Mazda. If your dealer is within 60 miles of the auto show there is probably a $1000 rebate available. My dealer is 50 miles from Cleveland so when their auto show was going on they had the rebate. When Columbus had it's auto show this dealer did not have the rebate because Columbus is about 80 miles away. So even if you are not that close to the auto show, go to a dealer that is to save the $1000!
  • leftfrankleftfrank Member Posts: 6
    Regarding the $4750 rebate on 2006 Mazda6 models:

Is this rebate only off of MSRP, or can it be applied to whatever final price is negotiated with the dealer (say invoice for instance)?
  • vgslvrvgslvr Member Posts: 2
    For me the 4750 was off the MSRP...I argued that fact with him stating that the price he was giving me was really just the depreciation price but he insisted that the rebate was considered the depreciation. So inactuality thats all he gave me even though it was a 2006 model. After awhile he did take another 1000 off but it was still too high for me considering the car is last years model.
    Like any rebate, the $4750 is off of whatever price you negotiate. This money is from Mazda, it is not costing the the dealer anything.

I would think invoice minus the rebate would be the highest price one should need to pay.
  • werm9werm9 Member Posts: 8
    i ordered a 07' mazda 6 4cyl 5 door for $21,500 on febuary 7. for those who ordered one how long did it take to get yours? my dealer says 2.5 - 3 months and everytime i ask him if theres any news on it he never returns my message. i know for domestic cars like chevy and fords it takes about 8-10 weeks coming form detroit. and i guess the mazda 6 has a plant in detroit as well. any difference seeing how more of their parts come from japan?
  • dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    When I was shopping for my RX-8 a couple of years ago, there was a $3,000 or $3,500 buy down on the left over 04 cars. Most dealers would sell you the car for invoice less rebate/buy down and they keep the holdback as profit. Some would dip down into the holdback some, one offered me any of their remaining 04s for invoice less buy down less 100% of hold back - and no doc or dealer fee. The price was cheap, with no (it would seem) profit for the dealer, but they had a lot full of 05s they could not sell and several 04s as well.

In the end, I was able to get a newer model 05 for $500 under invoice, $500 Gerber rebate, and $1,500 (I think?) of MAC rebates so I went with the newer model.

For ANY left over car I would pay no more than dealer actual invoice less rebates or buy back and would expect an even lower price. If you pay more, you might as well get the current model car.

Dennis
    Here is the breakdown on my '06 MAZDA6 purchase:

$3750 Mazda rebate
    $1000 MAC(Mazda America Finance)rebate
    $1000 Cleveland Auto Show discount
    $2773 dealer discount(dealer invoice minus $500!)
    Total discount:$8523
    MSRP:$29,340-$8523= $20,817 plus tax/title :D
  • scottmsimpsonscottmsimpson Member Posts: 66
    We have been looking at new Mazda 6's as well as Speed 6's and Acura TSX's. Went to a local Mazda dealer today, and he showed me a 2005 V6 5 speed that had just come in on trade. It is redfire metallic, with black leather, sunroof, auto climate control, autodim mirror, rear wing and cargo net. So, it must be a Grand Touring model.
    It has 41k miles, and is really clean, hardly any swirl marks in the paint. Took it for a drive, stopped at another local Mazda dealer to see what they had, and took it home to show the wife. They had it priced at $15,995, down from 20,995 on the sticker. I had a $500 coupon we had gotten in the mail earlier in the week. We decided to buy it. Seems like a good price to me. $16485 with all fees. It is equipped exactly as I would want, we'd probably have to order a new one to get this option/color package, and to find another one like it used might take months. A new one would be at least $27k. We'll pick it up early next week.
  • lilengineerboylilengineerboy Member Posts: 4,116
    I didn't know where to post this so I put it here. For the 2005 Mazda6 TMV used vehicle pricing, all of the styles default to automatic transmission with no provision to check the manual for the 6s styles.
    Who needs to know about that? If there is insignificant information, that should really be noted as opposed to not showing the configuration.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,554
    I think that is the way all of the TMV pricing works.. To get a price without automatic, just click on the "customized appraisal" button, or "add/remove" just below where it says "Typical Options".

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

There is no provision for that, thats my point. At least it didn't show up for me.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Cool, I must have come in a different way. I was at this link:
    http://www.edmunds.com/tmv/used/2005/mazda/mazda6/index.html

and clicking on S Grand Touring puts me here:
    http://www.edmunds.com/used/2005/mazda/mazda6/100467717/options.html
    with no way to select a transmission. How did you find your link?
    I clicked on "Research Prices & Specs"..
    just under the Used Cars button on either of those pages..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• chromatin317chromatin317 Member Posts: 14
    I've been in the market for the 2007 i sports value the best price i have gotten is 17000 +tax and license with the two thousand dollar rebates. Is that a good price? what would a good price be?
    Edmunds standard equipment list indicates that the "6-Speed Shiftable Automatic Transmission" was standard on that trim level. Unless that is wrong, that would explain why you can not choose manual on S Grand Touring.
    Automatic or manual?
    Hmm so that means Scott (post 1574) and I both got some questionable info from dealers concerning the models available. Good to know.
    So, it ain't a GT.
    Well, after further review, all I can say for sure is for 2007, manual transmission is standard across all trim levels of the sedan and HB...according to my 2007 Mazda6 brochure. It could be that is changed since 2005 or it could be Edmunds is wrong.
    Automatic
    Assuming they are not adding back in an excessive "document fee", I don't think $17,000 is too bad, then. Invoice is $19,400-19,800, IIRC...so you are getting another $400 to $800 off.

Some (such as myself) have paid closer to $16,000. I can't recall reading of anyone getting lower than that so far.
    well so its possible to get near 16,000 well right now i'm getting internet quotes i'm not really in a hurry i'm just kind of testing the waters i got a better quote of 16800 what was the amount you paid for the Mazda 6 i- sports value
    $15,995 + $129 doc fee = $16,124.
  • error438error438 Member Posts: 17
    is that price OTD w/ no options? Is it AT or MT?
    Automatic, no options. Would need to add TTL to that to get the "OTD" price.