Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• SeegarzSeegarz Member Posts: 11
    This may be a little late... but i've been recently shopping around for the new Mazda6i Touring, AT and just got an internet quote for $21,613 which incl all dest. chgs and handling fees from dealer near San Marcos, CA. still searching for one with the Conv Pack and hoping to spend no more than $22400. any thoughts?
  • tamzabtamzab Member Posts: 4
    Im looking for the base 09 Mazda 6. I'm getting the car under the S plan.

Went to Maple Shade Mazda in Turnersville, NJ

The dealer info doesnt add up to me. The invoice I got off of Edmunds said $17,601 plus destination charge. The salesman said that Edmunds was innacurate and the invoice was $19,739. He said the $19,739 included $670 destination fee, a $253 Philadelphia assessment fee (he said all Mazda's have this, its an advertisement fee, I have never heard of it) and a $87 level 2 emission fee (He said NJ requires it... idk). That is $2,138 more than the invoice... That soulds way off to me.

The S-plan is usually the invoice and a 2% discount right? maybe I got the wrong info.

Here's the numbers he gave me

MSRP: 21,020 (Edmunds said it was $18,550)
    Invoice including the fees, $19,739 (thats what he said is the lowest he could go) Edmunds said $17,601
    Cap reducation of 903.00 (I dont know what that is...)
    Term: 36 months
    Money factor: .0002300
    Cash Due: $1600 (that includes $750 of my money, the 1st month payment, and $850 lease support from Mazda) But now that I just added it.... that doesnt make sense.. It would have to be $1,893.41

Monthly payment 293.41, that does not include gap insurance

He said Taxes are $762.28 , we are 7% in NJ
    The it says fees/Lessor $403.30 - he said that was the tags.

Am I getting ripped off or is he actually right? I just dont understand how he can say Edmunds is wrong.
  • musicman5musicman5 Member Posts: 9
    I just received (1/10/09) an email from Maple Shade Mazda, maybe it will help with your negotiations. Here it is:

"All New 2009 Mazda 6 Special Supplier Pricing -- You Pay What We Pay!
    Maple Shade Mazda is, for a limited time only, offering NO HASSLE, NO HAGGLE, Special Supplier Pricing - PLUS - $1,000 Current Mazda Owner Loyalty Incentive.
    Your $1,000 Loyalty cash can be combined with 0% APR financing or a Fantastic Lease Option."

I paid $1,000 under invoice w/0% back in November. I was not a Mazda owner at the time. I used Edmund's site for invoice pricing and added the francise fee to it. Other dealerships in and around Philly also had the fee. I also added the emissions fee provided on Edmunds. I had a good experience at the dealership and can recommend you include them on your dealership list. Good luck, it's a great car!
    Thanks musicman!

Was the 1,000 under invoice the OTD price. They said they can not budge under invoice plus the fees.

Thanks
    you can email me at tamzab123@hotmail.com

Im supposed to go look at it again tonight... but I heard people get the S-plan at invoice -2% and Im over that for sure....

Did you use the S-plan?
  • drums1954drums1954 Member Posts: 20
    My neighbor is Manager of Naperville Mazda in IL..
    I just factory ordered a 09 Mazda6 iGT w/All Accessories from him to be delivered the last week of March.
    I did S-Plan...S-Plan is at Invoice plus Destination ($670.00), Plus a Regional Fee (IL Fee is $336.00)=S-Plan Price..You do not get 2% under...You could get Dealer Cash, which I am getting ($500-$1000) and an S-Plan Rebate (You will know the Rebate $$ (If there is one), when they put your S-Plan Pin in.
    You also can get Public Rebates and any Special Financing.
    They have to show you the invoice, which shows S-Plan Price.
    Hope this helps!!!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    You do not get 2% under...You could get Dealer Cash, which I am getting ($500-$1000)

If there is $500 to $1000 per unit in dealer cash, then 2% (or more) under invoice would certainly seem possible.
    How do I know if dealer cash is available? is it certain dealerships or does it depend on the car?
    You need to ask..Mazda usually gives Dealer Cash every month..
    It is Mfg to Dealer Incentives..I know in Dec., I could have received 1000 Bucks.
    So, when my car comes in, I have to see what the Dealer Cash is for that month.
  • JGallo377JGallo377 Member Posts: 1
    Please forgive me if these questions have been answered, but I appreciate any help that I get. I currently have my S Plan Pin in hand and prepared to go to the dealer.

I used the S Plan when I purchased my 2005 3 s as well. But from all my research the invoice on the 6i sport is 18729 +670 destination. Now would the S plan price be 2% lower that the invoice price. Since I currently own a 2005 Mazda3, do I still Qualify for the incentives, I had gotten an email stating $1000 loyalty and $1000 cash back.

With that being said does that make my price around $17000?

If this is the case it would be helpful with my trade, unfort. I have negative equity based on the trade ($4000) and what I owe ($8000), I know it is not always wise to incorporate into new car, but I drive many highway miles.

Again, I appreciate any help that anyone can provide, I had issues with Wayne Mazda when I bought my 3, do I need to use the same dealer for the Loyalty etc.

Thanks so much.
    How do I know if dealer cash is available?

Generally you don't or you don't know all the mfr to dealer incentives. Edmunds reports sometimes shows dealer cash in the same place where they show current rebates. I was just responding to a post that claimed dealer cash was available.

When I bought the previous version for about $1000 under invoice, I was told of an incentive from Mazda to the dealer that had enabled that, when I asked how they were able to meet my price. The dealer had advertised a base model at well below invoice, I asked for and got the same discount on a higher trim level.
  • mevander1mevander1 Member Posts: 43
    The person is lying re:"its an advertisement fee"" Go to another dealer.
    On a demo, you should be able to do better.
    The Advertising or Assesment Fee is Printed on the Invoice..In Chicago it is $336.00..This is right from Mazda..There also is a $500.00 S-Plan Ony Rebate in this Area
    Dealer is still making quite a bit of money. There are dealer hold back $$$'s on every car and on the Mazda6 they are about 560.00/car. plus dealer incentives for volume, making their quota's ect. hence invoice price being a great deal is a myth.

Dealers have to make money (of course!) to make a good profit and employ/pay w decent wages (if they want to retain employees).
    Re: "My first offer of 2,250 below invoice, 22635*, was accepted. No sunroof."" Wow! great deal and if they accepted, maybe there was more wiggle room re: $$'s
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    from all my research the invoice on the 6i sport is 18729 +670 destination.

Don't forget to add the "regional assessment" to that. Edmunds does not track the regional advertising fees because they differ from region to region. The regional assessment is charged to the dealer, and is not built in profit. Edmunds also explains that as well.

Now would the S plan price be 2% lower that the invoice price

No. S-Plan enables you to purchase the vehicle at the no haggle price of what ever the invoice price is.

Since I currently own a 2005 Mazda3, do I still Qualify for the incentives, I had gotten an email stating $1000 loyalty and $1000 cash back.

You do qualify for the $1,000 owner loyalty rebate since you own a Mazda, as well as wither taking the $1,000 Dealer Engagement Cash or Mazda's special financing. You cannot combine the Dealer Engagement and special financing.

Currently, Mazda is offering "S-Plan" to all current Mazda owners on the 2009 Mazda6 combined with the $1,000 owner loyalty. They go together. You cannot negotiate with the dealer, and then add the owner loyalty to the price. It's either you use the $1,000 owner loyalty and buy the car for the "S-Plan" price, or you cannot use the rebate, and you negotiate your own price with the dealer. You are better off just taking advantage of Mazda's owner loyalty + S-Plan and then applying the public offer that works for you (special fi or dealer engagement)

I had issues with Wayne Mazda when I bought my 3, do I need to use the same dealer for the Loyalty etc.

No. Buy the Mazda6 where ever you want. There are a load of dealers in Jersey.
  • rowuhnokerowuhnoke Member Posts: 3
    They did offer to do better, but I didn't pursue it - decided I'd rather have an i Grand Touring, but will be waiting a few months until my employment contract is renewed. On the iGT, they offered S plan (invoice) less $2500 (no special financing, owner loyalty), and wouldn't budge from that.
  • lewisindelewisinde Member Posts: 6
    Just purchased new Mazda 6 i Grand Touring auto 4 cyl with Moonroof/Bose package (no nav). Didn't like local dealer. Went there first and told them what I wanted and since they didn't have it, the Sales Manager told me to check it out at other dealers and price it there and then come back. How stupid was that? I listened to them and checked nearby dealers online, then drove 46 miles to next state of Maryland and purchased the car for $25,233 plus tax (over $1000 under invoice). I didn't get a loyalty reduction since I hadn't owned a Mazda since 1998. This price included dealer prep and temp tag but not registration which I will do myself. They were really super. Not only were they nice people but the sales lady picked up the car at another dealer and then had it delivered it to my house the next day. I am thinking about having them install an exact duplicate after-market rear wing spoiler. Any problem with that?
  • SeegarzSeegarz Member Posts: 11
    Just bought a Mazda6 i Touring with Convenience Package $1895 below MSRP. I used the Costco buying program and paid $55 doc fee, $233 license fee, tax $1793, transportation $670, and San Diego assessment for $150 for an OTD $25,209. Hoping i didn't pay too much. :)
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    That looks like a fair deal according to the few sources I checked. What exterior and interior color did you get? Automatic or manual?

I'm planning to get a new Mazda6 s Touring in the next 3-4 months. I really like the cloth/leather combo interior on the Touring with Conv. Pkg. My only complaint is that they aren't heated....only the Grand Touring with all leather has those.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
  • maxamillion85maxamillion85 Member Posts: 78
    Seeing as you got it for under invoice...by about a $1000. I'd say you did well.
    Right now, I think that the dealers are willing to go to greater lengths to sell cars. Its hard to believe that they got the car I wanted from over 150 miles away then drove it another 45 miles to drop it off at my house all at $1000 under invoice.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    Keep it real folks, A 2000-3000 off msrp deal was hardly anything 24 months ago much less now. We're looking at 6000-7000+ off to get realistic. Anything less is hardly giving the car away. Do you want to eat $5000 or more to drive a average sedan for 12 months? In a recession?

Good luck
    --jjf

A 08 mazda 6 (22000msrp) with average miles has a trade in value of $12000 (kbb.com)

A 08 Hyundai Sonata (20000msrp) has a trade in of $11500

A 08 Chevrolet Impala (24000 msrp) has a trade in value of $10500

A 08 22000 msrp Ford Fusion (Relative of the new style 09 Mazda 6?) has a trade in of $12000

A 22000 08 Saturn Aura has a trade in value of $12000

A 22000 Pontiac G6 sedan has a trade in value of $11000.
  • stoopystoopy Member Posts: 105
    An '08 Ford Fusion that has an MSRP of $22,900 (not $22,000) would easily have a selling price of $20,000 the day it was delivered to the dealer. So, yes KBB says it has a trade in value of $12,775 but your loan payoff would be right at that $12,775 anyway. You would not be "eating $5000 or more" as you say. Worst case scenario you would break even.
  • manny25manny25 Member Posts: 3
    I just picked up this car for the wife yesterday. Sandstone with Moonroof/Bose package. We paid 25,879 total including tax, title, and fees which I thought was a good not great deal. The price would have been 23,879 but then I would have had to go with regular financing costing more in the long run. So we opted for the 0% for 36 months. I always negotiate the OTD "out the door price" and leave the dealer to figure out how he comes up with the number. I suppose that lets the dealership disguise profits. We did get the $1000 loyalty so a more accurate comparison is 26,879. I thought the mazda dealers would have been more aggressive in dealing with me but I found most of them kinda lazy. Only one dealer followed through with constant contact eager to make a sale. I can only guess Japanese dealers aren't hurting as bad. I haggled for quite a bit as it doesn't bother me and I beat the carsdirect.com price but it was a lot of work and maybe I'll just bypass the dealer next time. In short, I'm happy to get a brand new loaded 6 for under 26K total.
  • gccmngccmn Member Posts: 11
    Where did you get such a wonderful deal?
    I think that you got a very good price. My price was $25,309 but it didn't include tax which I have to pay. Since I got such a good price without the owner's incentive, I didn't get the 0% financing option, which is ok for me. So far I am loving the car although I have to say that I am a bit intimidated reading the owner's manual as to all the programming options available for the Grand Touring model. I think that dealers are dying to make a sale. January 2009 figures for Mazda are down 27.3% from last January and the new Mazda6 model is down 60.1% over last January so they are hurting. I can't give out the name of my saleswoman on this site but if you live within driving distance of the Eastern shore of Maryland and are interested in a great deal, contact me @ lewisinuk@hotmail.com and I will forward her name and the dealership to you. They were great and there was no pressure. They picked up the car over 100 miles away and then delivered the next day 45 miles to my house.
  • gluckgluck Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone in SoCal got a good deal on the 6's? I looking to decide between the Camry, Accord and 6. I still don't understand why I am not getting a good deal on the 6's. It is a nice looking car but some how I hardly find people driving it here.
  • biochemistbiochemist Member Posts: 19
    A bit confused after all the discussion about regional advertising fee and what not. Overstock.com had the car I want at invoice price for iTouring with auto, convenience, Bose & roof for $24281. Should I offer the dealer 23281? Is that the fair price right now for this car? Hope someone can chime in. Thanks.
  • manny25manny25 Member Posts: 3
    I got the 6 i Touring with the same package for about 24k so I'd say that this is a good price. I was offered $2000 incentive so the car would have been even cheaper but I opted for 0%.
  • indycmgsindycmgs Member Posts: 5
    I am looking for a used car for my college bound daughter. I found an 08, Mazda6 with 20K mileage for $10,900. Carfax shows that it was a rental. Does that sound like a good deal?

Thanks
    A 08 mazda 6 (22000msrp) with average miles has a trade in value of $12000 (kbb.com)

These were also heaviliy discounted, many paid $5000 below MSRP (as did I in 2007). Of course, it would be very foolish to buy a new car and then trade it in after 12 months...who does that?

It's not like one can buy a used car at the trade in price, so I am not sure what the point of that sort of comparison is. A used 2007 Mazda6i is about $12,000 from Hertz, with much higher mileage than I have on mine. I paid only $4000 more than that to buy mine new two years ago.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    A 08 22000 msrp Ford Fusion (Relative of the new style 09 Mazda 6?) has a trade in of $12000

A 2008 Fusion was based on the first gen Mazda6. The 2009 Mazda6 is nothing like a 2008 Fusion.

Asa matter of fact, the 2010 Fusion has less in common with the 09 Mazda6 then the 2008 Fusion and 03-08 Mazda6.
  • xinyxiny Member Posts: 3
    i got a quote from Orange mazda, NY recently for a 09 i sport. They just offered me 19600-1000rebate+TTL, and they said they can just sell it for invoice. I think this offer is a little higher than my expect. how do you guys think?
  • bootluckybootlucky Member Posts: 5
    Is that Automatic or Standard. I've been looking at Mazda6 and here's the quote I got:

A 2009 Mazda 6i Sport (2.5L 4cyl), automatic, no options. Those prices include cash back.

Lists at $21,920
    Invoice is $20,578
    Purchase price is: $18,078 w/o financing, 18,578 w/ financing

this dealer was in NJ.
  • musicman5musicman5 Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone purchased a fully loaded 2009 Grand Touring S recently? How much did you pay under invoice?
    Thank for your reply.
    i am inquiring a 6 speed manual.
    your price doesn't include tax, am i right? how much is your cash back? is it only regular $1000 or plus owner loyalty? i plan to finance, and the price they offered is just invoice, there is still some room to haggle.
    those figures are NOT including TTL or owner loyalty.
  • rponsetirponseti Member Posts: 35
    Got a quote of $17983 for 09 Sport Auto. the only option it has is a spoiler. This includes the $1000 owner loyalty but not TTL. Got that through two emails. Haven't pushed them at all. Can I do much better?

Thanks!
    sound a good deal. Where did you get this quote?
  • jlaszlojlaszlo Member Posts: 60
    Just got back from the dealership. Was intending to buy the Mazda5 but the Mazda6 was spacious enough for two child seats and a boat load of baby stuff in the trunk. Got a Touring 4-cyl, 6-speed manual. Sunroof package and preferred equipment package. S-price (basically invoice) - $2000 dealer cash from Mazda of Roswell (metro Atlanta). Internet department there was superb.
  • lemonsquareslemonsquares Member Posts: 3
    I'm being quoted 3k off of msrp on any mazda 6 on the lot. seems like a good deal to me, should I jump? also debating the v6 vs the i4, is the v6 mileage really as bad as it sounds?
    If you look at my last post of sedans, most of the used 08s are barely worth trade in 12000-13000 first year. (what your 09 would be worth in 12 months). (kbb.com)

$3000 off a 22000 base mazda6 wouldn't seem that appealing to me at $19000. I believe the 20000msrp 09 mazda5 is barely worth 13000 in 12 months. $4000 or so off msrp is appropriate here, and your targets (price or price + financing.)

If no movement, a 5, saturn aura or chevy malibu might be worth a shot at $14500 or so, if the ads hold up usually gm loyalty or lease. Possiby you could work something else.

In the auto-news I read that the 6 had the most disappointing sales figures.mazda reported. $5500 was about the discount on the 08 22000msrp 6. This was when the economy was fair. The discounts should be larger, or they got their production in control quick.

Hyundai may discount the 20000 sonata gls 6000 or more in your area, so getting quotes from 6-10 dealers before the holiday or end of month may be fruitful. (for all dealers)

I wouldn't break a leg getting to the dealer for 3k off. The Honda or Toyota may be more desirable in the 19000 range (or less) for a base.

I've seen some abnormally low price figures on the $20000 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix). $14000 or so with loyalty (or not?). Either way, both vehicles have a trade in of about $13000 1st year. $3500-4000 off msrp wasn't uncommon in past years, so one would want at least this much off now.

Good luck
    --jjf

I'm being quoted 3k off of msrp on any mazda 6 on the lot. seems like a good deal to me, should I jump? also debating the v6 vs the i4, is the v6 mileage really as bad as it sounds?
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Member Posts: 801
    The '08 Mazda6's depreciation shouldn't be used as a basis for projecting the resale value of the new '09 model. The '08 was HEAVILY subsidized, especially at the end of the model year, with rebates exceeding $4000. Obviously, that destroys residual values when comparing to the full MSRP.

The '08 Mazda6, although a great driver's car, wasn't class-competitive. The '09 model is has now jumped to the front of the pack, leading the mid-size class in many respects! The improvements will certainly result in a significantly lower rate of depreciation.
    2015.5 Volvo S60 T6 Drive-E Platinum, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT
    this is kinda what I was thinking also. 3k + financing on a brand new model seems pretty good. if this type offer doesn't move cars i would expect them to simply cut production, go in slow burn rate on money and try to wait out the recession rather than eat a big loss on a car that should be one of their best sellers. but then I will also be upset if I'm wrong and in 2 months they are cutting them by 5k also and I overpaid :P

if their depreciation really is as bad as you say the best thing to do would by one used with a few months mileage on it and save big. problem is finding one.
    Nope. Nothing earthshaking about the 6.

The 24000 Impala is barely worth 11000 used.

The $20000 Sonata (said class competitive with Honda) is barely 12000 after a year.

The 20000 09 Mazda5 barely worth 13000 after 12 months.

22000 Saturn Aura about 12000 virtually the same car as the malibu. The malibu maybe the same (not many 08s made)

Perhaps the 22000 mazda6 will outperform at 13000-14000. (the m3 is best in this respect) In any event, don't break a leg for a 19000 deal, as the sales figs for the 6 were the most disappointing of their lineup. The economy is in the tank. A 09 Honda Accord or Toyota Camry may be worth around the 19k.

Good luck
    --jjf
  • krazyken0krazyken0 Member Posts: 2
    I just accepted (still time to back out) an offer on a 6 iTouring with conv pack. MSRP 25475 got the offer down to 20556.17 including TTL. What do you think? Sound like a decent deal?
    This will be my first 6.. drove really well, good accel, handling, was very impressed overall with the ride.

Oh ..does anyone know where I can get or what is needed for the Sirius ready head unit so that I can get The satellite radio going on the car?
    That's pretty much the same car I'm interested in and that's a better price that I've been able to get (I've e-mailed 5 dealers so far). What general location are you in and what's your sales tax? Also, can you get the special financing with that price? The best deal I've gotten on that same car was $20,500 before TTL. I'm interested in your details because it's the best price I've seen so far.
    thats over 3k below invoice. I also am curious where you got this deal
  • krazyken0krazyken0 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Northeast PA and actually went to a dealer in New York to get this car

Actual selling price of car is 20226. I'm trading in a 2004 Accord so with the trade there is a decent break in the sales tax which is 6% in PA. Right now they have 1500 customer cash back and I also got a 500 preferred customer discount (dealer said they got about 6 of these cards from Mazda and I was given one). Salesman said most dealers get a few of these cards Mazda. Maybe with this info you can get your dealer to give you one.

So After trade and then adding tax is why Price is where it's at. Seems from what I'm reading that its not too bad a deal.