Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mikemartinmikemartin Member Posts: 205
    pencho, those prices were legit.

And they included $2,500 rebates ($1000 loyalty and $1,500 Mazda Cash).

The dealership is in Georgia and the salesman was very green and slipped up and told me that they've only sold 1/3 as many cars this month than they have last month, and that some senior salespeople were leaving saying they have never seen car sales so bad in their careers.

I literally told the sales manager that's the most I would pay, after figuring out the tax and other fees, and they came down to that price.

Car deals are easy if you don't absolutely need the car right then and there, and are fully prepared to walk away, and not just threaten it, if you can't get the deal you think is right and fair - if that means pouncing on an overstocked dealership in times of economic distress, all is fair is love and car sales, as car dealerships have NO problem marking up cars in high demand, in both bad times and good.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
  • pencho5pencho5 Member Posts: 5
    Mikemartin, it looks like you're getting excellent offers! Here in LA I didn't get so good offers. Also this is my first car buy and I don't pretend to be very good at negotiating. I didn't need the car but after a week talking to dealers I was so exhausted from all the lies so I decided to buy, since I didn't want to distract my self any more with the buying of a car.
    Just to clarify something, on the mazda6 the offer is either $1500 cash back or $1000+special interest rates. You can get additional $500 with a preferred buyer card that mazda is giving to some of it's customers.
    Anyway, I'm very happy with the price and with the car - it's very nice and drives very well.
    Penchi, you got a good deal, I do believe.

Sometimes it's not easy to get the very best deal possible because the dealer may not be close enough by.

What that salesman told me about car sales was the understatement of the year - I just read TTAC and it's amazing how much Toyota and Honda sales have dropped, and Porsche is literally near bankruptcy?
  • pencho5pencho5 Member Posts: 5
    I took a quick look at TTAC and read about Porsche but couldn't find anything about car sales. I also think that the car sales will drop more before they start rising again but I think also that the car manufactures already started producing much less cars then before.
  • ynotnechynotnech Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 09 Mazda 6 S touring + convenience package. The negotiated sales price that we agreed to was $24,500, plus they also offered to pay us $800 dollars to pay off our last few payments of our current car after the deal was funded.

The question that I have is that knowing that there is a $1500 customer cash rebate, in which I wanted to use as a down payment... shouldn't the rebate go towards the 24,500 negotiated price? so that we would only owe $23,000?

What they ended up doing was putting the $1500 over our negotiated price.. so our price on the contract was $26,000. Is that resonable? To me it seem like they stole our cash rebate and then made us pay the taxes on it.

You have to keep in mind that the Dealer also has their own $2000 manufacturer to dealer incentives as well.

I thought that wasn't fair.. but of course that was after the fact that I signed the contract without reading all the number carefully.

What do you guys think? Fair? can I still do anything about it?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I think it is normal for the dealer to include the rebate in negotiated price, with the buyer signing the rebate over. I don't know if it is normal for the customer to not be aware that this is what is being done.

I assume you signed the rebate over to the dealer at some point, but have you taken delivery of the car yet? If not, I don't know what the consequences might be for backing out of the deal.
    Thanks for your input. I guess it's my own fault for not really looking at all the numbers before i signed. I did take delivery of the car... so I really don't have any type of leverage. I did not know that they used the rebate to get to my final sales price. I assumed I still have it to use after the negotiated price.. Anyways, I talked to the sales manager and they said there is nothing left for them to do.

I did take GAP insurance from them since I do now owe more than the car is worth, but i found that my own insurance company charges 3X less for the same coverage.. so I guess I will save money there.
  • loukinglouking Member Posts: 28
    Was offered price of $23,000 OTD for a '09 Mazda6 i Grand Touring w/ moonroof. (this is the 4 cyl.)

Price included doc fee but not taxes.

Should I grab it ? ? ?
  • ambrosiaambrosia Member Posts: 11
    The price is not bad. I'd just make sure you are getting all applicable rebates. I don't like that they quoted you an "out the door" price that isn't truly out the door since it doesn't include taxes. As long as you factor in the additional $1,500 or so for taxes into the equation for your monthly payment then I guess there is no harm done.
    So did I get a good deal? I bought an 09 Mazda 6 S Touring + Convenience package (V6 Automatic). After all the rebates etc.. the price of the car was $23,714. After all the taxes, doc, etc etc... the price ended to be about $26,100.

What do you guys think?
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    True the dealer should have at least mentioned that they were using the rebate as part of the down payment so to speak. I've bought cars with rebates involved and that's exactly how it was done. However, when they went over the sales contract line by line they explained it.

You do have a choice to actually receive the rebate but I believe that 99.9% of car deals involving rebates are done just as your was. Also, in most states, by law they have to include the rebate in the price of the car for tax purposes. It's just like a rebate that you mail in, you had to pay sales tax on the full price of the product before you get your rebate back in the mail.
    You did ok.....not great. Basically you got the car for a little over invoice minus the $1500 rebate. In todays market I think you could have gotten another $500 or so but that also depends a little on what area of the country you live. People post on these forums all the time and never mention what area of the country they are in. Some areas are just more competitive than others.

Also you paid $2386 in ttl etc which seems high. Unless you sales tax is more than 8.5% you probably paid a hefty doc fee as well. In that case you definitely should have gotten the extra $500 off IMO.
    Thanks m6user for your input as well. But i am confused.. According to Edmunds new car estimate, the average that people are paying for my exact car is reported to be around $25,376, in which case I am not worried that I got ripped off for paying about $23,700.

However when I looked up what people are paying for my car on truecar.com, it reported that you the average sales price for my car was around $21,900 or so.
    It also said that a good price for the this car was about $3,500 below invoice.. Is this possible? If thats the case then I feel really bad about my deal.

Whats your opinion and anyone else who reads this.
    Well just about everyone beats the Edmund TMV price for one thing but I find it hard to believe that $21900 is the average paid for this car. That would mean that a lot of the sales are substantially below that price which IMO is ridiculous. With another $500 and a Mazda owners $1000 rebate you may have gotten it for around $22000 which would be a very good deal. You never mentioned the actual breakdown of your transaction and that would help immensely as you didn't even mention if it was auto or manual tranny or if you had any other options on it other than the convenience pkg. Can you provide that info and the numbers such as:
    Sale price of car:
    Title charge:
    Doc Fee:
    Other dealer chgs:
    Sales Tax:
    Rebate:

You may be able to buy a Chrysler product at $3500 under invoice but I don't believe the Mazda6 is in that category.......yet!
    It also said that a good price for the this car was about $3,500 below invoice.. Is this possible?

I believe you had said there was $1500 in rebates and $2000 in dealer cash, if that is correct, then that is how $3500 below invoice would be possible.
    I forgot about the dealer cash that was mentioned but I have not heard of this from any other source. I went to the truecar.com site and they have different rebate amounts for the I-4 auto vs. I-4 manual which I don't believe is the case. I believe the rebate is $1500 across the Mazda6 line but I could be wrong. I haven't seen anyone getting a price that low on a Mazda6 and the truecar.com site doesn't even reflect that low of number when you put in either a I-4 touring w/conv. pkg auto or manual.
    Ok so this is for a 2009 Mazda 6 S Touring + Convenience package (Automatic).

My breakdown numbers were as follows. (They sales price was 24,514 with an additional 800 Cash back after deal was funded)

Vehicle Cash Price 26014.00
    Sales Tax + 2315.25
    Doc Fee + 50.00
    Total = 28379.25

Rebate - 1500.00
    = 26879.25

Lic + Reg. + 89.00
    Total = 26968.25

Dealer agreed to give us an additional $800 cash back after deal was funded.

So Car with TTL = $26,168.25

So now what do you think?
    I actually asked the dealer about that, he said that if we took the $1500 rebate + the 5 year 2.9% financing rate, then the dealer does not get the 2000 dealer cash from the manufacturer.

I am not sure if this is true, but that is what he said. He told me after holdback etc etc.. he only made about $200 profit from my sales.. believable?

thanks
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I believe you had said there was $1500 in rebates and $2000 in dealer cash, if that is correct, then that is how $3500 below invoice would be possible.

There is not a total of $3,500 in incentives to be had. I can assure you. If you opt for the special financing + $1,000 APR rebate, you cannot get the $1,500 and neither can the dealer.

If you opt for the $1,500 dealer engagement on sv, sport and touring models ($2,000 on GT models), you cannot get the special financing.

$1,000 Owner Loyalty if you have a Mazda (cannot combine with $500 Preferred buyers card)

The max cash incentive you can get is $3,000

There is no additional $2,000 to the dealer, as much as I wish there was.
    So basically it's as you said, you ended up paying $23714 for a Mazda6 I-4 Touring w/conv. pkg. That is not a bad deal but as I said it does matter what area of the country you live. Mazda6 can be had somewhat cheaper in major midwest cities vs the NE. So a good deal in the NE would not be that great of a deal in Chicago. A lot of it has to do with the number of Mazda dealers in close proximity.

Anyway, you've bought the car, took delivery and there is nothing you can do now but either cry in your beer thinking that you may have gotten maybe another $500 off or move on and enjoy your new wheels. I would choose enjoying my new ride.
    Avidboy, just visited the MazdaUSA site and saw nothing about $2000 rebate for the Grand Touring model. Did see 0% for 36 plus $1500 which is a pretty good deal in itself but nothing about $2000 with no financing. Is that a regional thing, I'm in the midwest?
    I actually asked the dealer about that, he said that if we took the $1500 rebate + the 5 year 2.9% financing rate, then the dealer does not get the 2000 dealer cash from the manufacturer.

Yes, that is often the way it would work. I know on the Mazda3 recently there was $1000 or $1500 dealer cash, if the 0% 36 month financing was not taken. So the reality is that you chose the discount financing over the $2000, you could have paid $2000 less and financed at the market rate of maybe 6%.

I don't remember exactly what you paid, but suppose you had a choice of $25,000 and 2.9% or 23,000 and 6%, in either case your monthly payment would be about the same ($448 vs $444). So the reality is you paid $2000 less than the indicated cash price, because had they not subsidized your loan rate, your monthy payment would reflect a price of $23,000, not $25,000.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I'm in the North East. It might be a regional thing.

MazdaUSA.com will not disclose the optional dealer engagement cash if you opt not to take the special financing. You can only find out from your dealer.
    If you opt for the $1,500 dealer engagement on sv, sport and touring models ($2,000 on GT models), you cannot get the special financing

I guess I'm a little confused. Are you saying that besides the $1500 national customer rebate and the $1000 Mazda owner cash that there is an additional $2000 in "dealer engagement" on the GT models if paying cash for the vehicle? That would indicate to me that I could get $4500 possibly off from invoice which would be quite a deal. Please correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not to familiar with the term "dealer engagement" other than I think it means it is a rebate to the dealer from Mazda USA.
  • ctl1ctl1 Member Posts: 18
    I just purchased my 2009 Mazda6i Grand Touring/w the moonroof/Bose package using the Edmunds quote service at the end of May. Two of the 5 dealers quoted a price of $24,147 (list price $28,240). After exchanging a series of emails, I went to the closest one, test drove it and bought it on the spot. I also had a $500 Preferred Buyers coupon, which was deducted after TT&L were calculated, for an OTD cost of $25,363. I ended up financing the purchase through my own bank since they were able to significantly beat the rate the dealer could offer. All in all, working through the internet rep at the dealer was the easiest car buying experience I've had.

I did inquire as to whether the quotes included the Mazda low APR interest rates/$1000 customer cash offer and all 5 dealers said no they would have to raise the price $1000 to use it. Three of them also told me that the $2000 manufacturer to dealer cash incentive was included in the quote but I could only use this or the Mazda financing offer, not both. It also matters where you live. I'm in Texas where Mazda was only offering $1000 customer cash back with their financing offers. From some of the prior messages, $1500 appears to be available in the right areas of the country. Nevertheless, I am happy with my purchase and am enjoying my new car!
    $1000 customer cash, $2000 manufacturer to dealer cash, $500 preffered cash is $3500 in rebates/cash. So in effect they gave you less than $600 off MSRP.....I think you should have gotten at least another $1000 off to classify as a good deal. People can usually buy at or less than invoice in todays market without any rebates or manufacturer cash, etc. Maybe they really drive a hard bargain in Texas but IMO you could have done a lot better. Maybe something to consider for next time.
  • waterbuck1waterbuck1 Member Posts: 11
    Hi-
    I'm talking with a dealer in Alabama that has appraised my trade-in (a 1994 Nissan Altima in "fair" condition, i.e. low miles but looks like crap) at $800.

Taking my trade, they are offering an OTD price of $23,282 on a Mazda6 iTouring with Automatic Transmission, Convenience Package, All-weather floor mats (quoted at $80), and Electrochromic mirror ($385).

I don't have their write up of specific costs in hand, but I think they likely would break it down as roughly this:

Vehicle price roughly $23k
    Taxes, fees and registration: $1100

My tradein: -$800
    Final price OTD: $23.3k

Is this a good deal? How aggressively should I seek a reduction?

Trueprice.com shows that my region definitely is running $1500 to $2000 higher than the national average. For my region the Trueprice suggests that $22.8k is a "great price", and my guesstimate is that there is roughly a 23k price on the car they are trying to sell me.

Finally, I have one "ace" which is that I will receive a $500 Mazda preferred buyer coupon in the mail (don't have it yet, and I have not introduced it into the negotiation).

If I think I want this car, how hard should I try to nudge the price down, PRIOR to showing them that $500 coupon?

Is it considered totally improper to settle on a final negotiated price and then just "spring" the Mazda Preferred Coupon on them as a last-minute surprise? If someone knows the protocol of this stuff, let me know.

waterbuck1
    I don't think the coupon should matter at all to the dealer, I would assume that this would just mean they get $500 from Mazda and you pay $500 less than you otherwise would.
    The 2009 Mazda 6 i Grand Touring I purchased is white with beige leather seats. The seat belts are black ! Nice car but why did they do that ?
    I cant stop noticing it now. It looks really goofy !
  • la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I think the lighter upholstery looks really cool :shades: (and it stays cooler in the sun) as well as functional, and I don't mind the black safety belts a bit.

I'm sure they did that to save production costs. But lightly colored belts tend to get grimy looking, and the black tends to look new longer.

I think you'll like the way the belts break up the look a little more as you enjoy the car more and it ages.

Plus, if that's the thing you had to "settle" for, your GT must rock! Congrats on the new car.
    Hi-
    I'm looking in Alabama and have an offer for an iTouring Automatic with Convenience Package, plus self-dimming rear view mirror and floor mats for 23.3k.

This is in the "good price' range from Truecar.com for my area.

Do you think I can get them to go much lower?
    :confuse:
    Waterbuck,

Yes . . . you can do better on the price. I got an i-GT with moonroof/bose pkg. for $23100.
    You hold all the cards.
    Hi Lou-
    Did your i-GT have the Convenience Package and the Moonroof/Bose pkg? Also, can you give a sense of what State or region of the country you are in. On Truecar.com, I seem to be in a bit more pricey area.
  • dulla1031dulla1031 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Water-

Check the feature comparison page on the M6 website. The Grand Touring does not have a Convenience Package. It has most, if not all of the features of the Convenience package already by default, hence making it a Grand Touring.

The Convenience Package is available on the I Touring models. However, Moonroof/Bose is an option package available to both trim levels.....Navigation is only available on Grand Touring.....At least this is true in the Northeast.

My last quote on an I Touring with Convenience and Moon/Bose Packages was $21,800 before TT/Reg fees. quoted price on a Grand Touring with Moon/Bose was $23,200. Hope this helps.
  • nmnewm6nmnewm6 Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a Mazda6 S Grand Touring with Bose/Moonroof + Navigation. MSRP $32790 . Was offered $26,500 and used preferred card for $26000 + TTL. . Unless I am missing something, I think I got a decent deal, but would love to hear what others think.
  • rayrockemrayrockem Member Posts: 3
    great deal jeffy and yea thats right about $200 of invoice however you also have to take in to account hold back so you factor in another 450 -560 but thats not to say thats not a good deal you have to also remember the dealer has to keep the lights on and the service lane open for you to change your oil when you come back so dont feel bad or anything
  • rayrockemrayrockem Member Posts: 3
    you definetly did that is below invoice and below hold back not even employee priceing would get you that low. did you own a mazda already? all things aside great deal dude the dealer must have been desperate
    It would be nice if you shared what dealer and where located and if you got the current Mazda owner discount. Tks.
    Dealer definitely was motivated more than others. They had very few cars remaining as they are moving to a new location in a couple of months. Strangely, they said they are not getting more cars until they move . Figured at first they are shutting down but I saw the sign and the construction on the new building going up. I had to sign up with their bank financing which I will shortly move over to my own. Although their bank rate was actually decent.

I wish I had a Mazda before.. I would have saved an extra $1000.. :-)
    Did not get current Mazda owner discount. It was Puente Hills Mazda in CA. Went through internet sales dept and negotiated via email and phone. The associate I spoke with was very cool and the transaction was pretty easy. I was prepared for dealer bait and switch but they stood behind their offer.

They have very limited stock left from what I could tell although I did see at least one more Mazda6 in the showroom.
    Tks. That is a very good price you got, in fact it is the lowest I've seen. You got a great deal. Enjoy your new wheels!
  • johncuth1170johncuth1170 Member Posts: 2
    I can confirm nmnewm6's figures as they are close to the quote I accepted for my Sangria Red Mazda 6s GT w/ Bose/Sunroof package:

Cash Price: 26264.00
    CA Sales Tax: 2441.91
    Doc Prep: 55.00
    DMV License Fee: 302.00
    CA Tire Fee: 8.75

Dealer offered a decent (not wonderful) price for my trade-in (an 11 year old Honda Accord 4 cylinder w/ 5MT that needs a new CAT) and my wife and I accepted the deal after talking it over for about 10 minutes.

Unfortunately I didn't qualify for the loyalty bonus.

The dealer was Fremont Mazda in Northern CA and I went through their internet dept. Of all the dealers I contacted all but 1 were between 26.2K and 26.5K; the other dealer was quoting a ridiculously low number (around 25K) and I was convinced this was just bait. The guys at Fremont made the process nice and easy and relatively quick (I have a 3 year old who was ready to destroy the place).

My impression is that the V6's are not shifting that fast even though they are relatively scarce. It looks like Fremont has only 2 or 3 left in stock compared to several 4 cyclinder models.

After 2 week's ownership my favorite things are: BSM, the power, HID lights, the power, the color, the power, the gauge cluster, the LED tail lights, and the power. My only dislikes are the missing auto door locking feature (even my basic Accord had this) and no place to put the key fob (I've resorted to using the door handle). Mileage, so far, is matching the edmunds.com & consumer reports mixed driving figure of 20mpg.
    Nice info. Looks like you guys are hitting the perfect storm of poor auto sales and rising gas prices to get some really good deals on the V-6s. I notice that Fitzmall, an East Cost chain of dealerships, is offering similar deals on their website and they seem to have a good inventory. With the loyalty discount it appears that almost $7000 off from MSRP is possible with some combos.

Re the key fob. I thought the idea of the "keyless ignition" was the ability to open and start the car while leaving the fob in your pocket/purse. Is there a reason that you have to find someplace to put it??? Just curious.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter from a finance magazine is looking to speak to consumers who are owners of a Mazda 6. Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Tuesday, June 16, 2009.
  • toolsboytoolsboy Member Posts: 1
    Cash Price - 27450
    Mazda Rebate - 1500
    Loyalty Rebate - 1000

Bought the car for about 300 under invoice. I think that I probably could have done about $100 better, but not much more. Bought from Galpin Mazda in Van Nuys, CA.
  • johncuth1170johncuth1170 Member Posts: 2
    m6user, regarding the key fob - you're right and I guess its just habit. I automatically take my keys out of my pocket and unlock using the unlock button on the fob and never think to put them back. I'm just used to driving with the key in the ignition rather than jabbing me in an awkward spot. :)
    Know what you mean about old habits dying hard. I have two fobs because I drive two different vehicles almost 50/50 and the "gobs of fobs" can be a pain carrying around. I know I could go to just using the key on one of the vehicles but Mazda doesn't let you separate the key from fob. Oh such problems all this convenience makes. ;)
    I can get a V6 2009 Mazda6 Sport Automatic from Brown's for $18,460 plus TTL.

This includes destination, but also includes Mazda Loyalty Bonus of $1000.

Car doesn't have leather, nav, etc, and MSRP is just a tad south of $27k.
  • twing54twing54 Member Posts: 4
    That looks like a great deal. Brown's lists their prices and I dont see anything as good as that. Would you share with us how you got that price?
    Hey twing.

I called them and had to do some haggling. I asked them to beat or at least match a Fitzmall car, and the salesmen did, by $200.

Again, this includes the grand Mazda is giving me for being a current owner.

The salesman was very honest and told me that they aren't selling very many cars at all, and that the V6 is selling worse than the last gen V6 did. I assume this is just because the economy is so much worse, and not because the car is. He said most of the cars they are selling are used and under 8 grand.

I do think some hardcore Mazda fans are disappointed that Mazda went Camcord big in proportions with the new 6.

I, for one, am not. We want a larger car with a larger trunk. It's hard for us to get the stroller in my wife's Nissan Altima but it fits in the new 6 just fine - it would have never, ever fit in the last gen 6.