Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Thanks for the OTD price on the 2013 sport auto. Do you know what the price before taxes/reg/docs was? I'd like to know cause the tax rate for each state is different.

Also, anybody in California get a good deal on a 2013 sport?
  • jkobty2jkobty2 Posts: 210
    Damn, that is pricey. It will probably be a better build quality car than the current Mazda 6. But 30,000 is steep. We got my wife's 2010 Acura TL at the end of the 2010 model year for similar money. I have found there is always a pet peeve with every car. In the Nissan's it is the CVT, with Honda or Acura V6 it is the engine still uses a timing belt, expensive maintenance if you intend to keep the car, but it is less annoying than a CVT. The best combination powertrain is the Acura TSX 2.4L with the 5 speed auto. I understand the new Honda Accord 4 cyl is also mated to a CVT. So pick what you can live with until someone makes the perfect car :)
  • Yes. $15, 121 was the car price
  • ashjawashjaw Posts: 8
    mvperez4jesus-can you share the name of the dealer who you worked w/ to get this price? I am interested in 2013 Mazda 6 auto isport trim w/ no options and the best price I got from fitzmall was $16400 (not including Tax, title and tags). I presume you got the auto isport as well?
  • Also to confirm. It is the sport no options but automatic.
  • ashjawashjaw Posts: 8
    They told me that they had discounted only one because it was sitting on the lot for a while. they chose not to discount the others...which didnt make sense to me. I will try young mazda in easton so see if they are willing to make a deal at a lower price. BTW, did your price also include the $500 mazda loyalty? and would you recommend young mazda?
  • Sorry I forgot. My price didn't include the Loyalty discount, and I had the price breakdown indicating that it wasn't included if not it would have been even better.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    But $30,000 MSRP??!! For roughly the same money, I could get a fully loaded Nissan Altima SL with the V6 engine.

Most every other 4 cyl competitor in the segment hits the $30K mark too, including the Altima, Accord, Camry, Passat and Fusion. Yes, the Altima 2.5 SL with tech package goes over $30K MSRP....we are comparing MSRP's here, not sale prices or year-end discounted vehicles....
  • You aren't comparing apples to apples, like you think you are.

The 2.5L 4-cyl is a Skyactiv engine. It gets V-6 performance with hybrid-or-better mileage numbers, without those batteries that are so bad for the environment.

Note: the 2014 doesn't even have a 6 cyl option anymore.

The 2.0l 4-cyl performs like the old 2.5l 4-cyl, but with better mileage.
    The 2.5l 4-cyl performs like the old 6-cyl, but with extremely better mileage.

And the Mazda6 has traditionally been bigger than the Altima, but I admit I haven't compared the most recent models.

And while the Altima gets high marks for "fun to drive", usually equal to the Mazda6, I still think there is a slight difference in feel, and the Mazda6 suits me much better, and so is, hands down, the better car for me.

I still have a 2010, still love it enough I wouldn't trade it for a 2014 Altima straight up.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    what do you base your statement on?

"The 2.5l 4-cyl performs like the old 6-cyl, but with extremely better mileage."

u can't be serious?
  • Haven't you heard anything about SkyActiv?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,497
    I have to agree. Skyactiv is more marketing than engineering breakthrough. The CX-5 was so underpowered with the Skyactiv powerplant that they are already offering a new 180 HP engine in the new model.

More efficient for it's size, but not really more powerful.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,033
    Your statements are ridiculous. Skyactiv is not a turbo or drastic increase of hp or torque. It is an overall system of body/engine/aerodynamics etc that provide for excellent fuel economy with decent power. It's designed for good MPG not power comparable to much larger engines. The 2.5L skyactiv engine has something like 185hp. There is no way it compares at all with the power of the 273hp V6. The V6 has been dropped because it sucked gas, not because the 2.5L performs like it. The 2.0L engine has something like 150hp, so no it does not perform as good as the 2.5L but gets a lot better MPG.

Mazda has decided, as far as we know anyway, to delete the V6 and just go with the I4 and the diesel for CAFE reasons not because either performs like the old V6. Maybe they'll come out with something a little hotter or more zoom zoom but for now they are toning down power for MPG.
    kyfdx-

I do not agree that SKYACTIV engines are on par with V6 variants (obviously), your assessment of what SKYACITV is is way off base. Considering you represent Edmunds, I would assume you would know better.

Let me help shed some light on exactly what SKYACTIV Technology is...

To start, Mazda did a boat load of engineering to create power trains that increase efficiency and power without sacrificing driving performance. They used a "sky's the limit" approach to achieving their goal. That is where the name came from.

In the engine, Mazda uses a innovative cavity piston design to harness fuel energy that helps the fuel burn more efficiently and creates more power. Mazda also uses one of the most advanced DI systems on the market injecting fuel in at over 2900psi. It injects fuel in both the intake and compression strokes for engine cooling, which is why Mazda can run 13.1 compression on 87 fuel. Also, the DI has a 6 hole injector in each cylinder which is specifically designed to inject fuel at precise points for perfect fuel/ail atomization.

Mazda also reworked cooling passages, oil passages, cams, piston rings, connection rods to create less friction, down about 30%-70%, depending on the part, from the previous MZR motors.

Mazda also uses a 4-2-1 header exhaust manifold, this is not new to the market, but Mazda found a way to make it work with a horizontally mounted engine, something that is not easy.

The 2.0L engine used develops 155ph and 148ft-lbs. Currently in the Mazda3 is far better than offerings by Hyundai, Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Ford as Mazda is the only one who gets 40mpg w/o any special FE package and no CVT tranny. Nissan can get there w/o any FE package, but needs a CVT and FAR less HP to get there. Mazda's engine is obviously superior. The CX-5 gets a pass based on displacement, but the 2.5L offers over 20 more ft-lbs than the CR-V and gets better city and average FE. The Escape has proven to fall short on FE promises and the CX-5 has not. The Rogue, Santa Fe, 2014 RAV4, Sportage all still fall short of the 2.5L CX-5 in both power and efficiency.

The real beauty of SKYACTIV is the automatic transmission. It uses a very small torque converter for speeds lover than 5mph and then a multi-disc clutch for shifting, which is very similar to a DCT. No one has done this yet. As a result, you get CVT-like efficiency with the direct shift feel of a DCT and the smoothness at low speeds of a conventional torque converter tranny. This is why you see the Mazda6 match the fuel efficiency of the Altima without using a CVT. If you notice, any other cog tranny's efficiency is a bit off the mark from Mazda's in this segment and they sure don't provide rev-matching downshifts for great real-world driving capability.

There were also many enhancements to the body and chassis to reduce weight and increase strength by using ultra-high tensile steel. Mazda uses more than any other manufacturer. This aids in efficiency and safety.

This is really an abbreviated version of what Mazda did. You can search YouTube and Mazda has plenty of videos describing what they have done.

Is "SKYACTIV Technology" a marketing tag? Absolutely. But, what Mazda has done IS real and some of it is true innovation especially from a company that produces affordable vehicles. Mazda's engineers have really come up with awesome technology, IMO.

Proof is in the pudding as consumers have flocked to Mazda's new tech and sales have been above and beyond what Mazda was expecting. If you look at the year-end sales results, Mazda sold 123,000 Mazda3's (most ever) with 69% being SKYACTIV equipped models. Mazda stated at this time last year, they did not expect to sell more than 100,000 Mazda3's for 2012. The CX-5 sold 43,000 units, far beyond what Mazda ever thought it would sell in years one in the U.S.

I hope I helped clear some things up for you. For more info, visit Mazda's web site, or YouTube for the cool videos they have posted.
    edited January 2013
    You obviously know more about it than I do.. But, 155 HP out of 2.0 liters is nothing special. More efficient than a comparable 4 cylinder? Sure.. A substitute for a V-6? Not even close.. underpowered for the CX-5? Seems to be the general consensus.

Which was the subject of the post I was responding to..

You expect too from an Edmunds host. I moderate Prices Paid for every make and model. ;)

• romil01romil01 Posts: 75
    Drove a 2014 Grand Touring today. While the exterior is gorgeous and it drove nicely, the interior is nowhere near as nice as the new Accord. The driver's seat felt hard, whereas the Accord's was really plush. Also, the Accord's center stack is much more modern looking. The nav system in the new 6 is pretty antiquated looking. As of now, an Accord EX-L V-6 with Nav for about the same price as a Mazda6 Grand Touring is much more appealing...especially the tons of extra power the V-6 offers over the 4-cylinder.
    A substitute for a V-6? Not even close.. underpowered for the CX-5? Seems to be the general consensus.

As you can see, I agreed with you on the V6 comment. But, in context, the 40mpg 2.0L is pretty good even with 155hp. Mazda should have used the 2.5L in the CX from the rip.

You expect too from an Edmunds host. I moderate Prices Paid for every make and model.

Thanks for clearing that up! I figured you guys were more in touch with your editors/evaluators. My apologies.
    It's possible that I'm just not very good at this, but the politically correct answer is that I'm here to moderate and assist the conversation between members. Opinions that I express are just my own. I have plenty of them. ;)

• la4meadla4mead Posts: 347
    I found the points of view discussed in Aviboy's and Kyfdx's generally to be in agreement, complementary, and informative, despite one particular introductory sentence. I thank you both for posting them.

As for the V-6 and "underpowered"... what is underpowered? Is it just a comparison to other vehicles? Where does this comparison stop?

Personally, if I have all the power I need merging, passing, and hill climbing while attaining respectable fuel economy, that's what's important to me. Not only because of costs, but also because the fuel we use is not renewable. I very much enjoy the feeling of acceleration, but fuel economy is a higher priority, and in any car purchase I look to the future... the importance of the vehicle to be frugal with fuel will continue to increase. My opinion is for an automobile to be "modern" it must be capable of handling fuel as a precious commodity.

If a vehicle is really underpowered I would also avoid it... Is the car under-engineered in other ways, such as engine cooling, transmission, etc.?
  • All those 2014 Mazda6's on the lot are pushing prices down for the "older" model.

I just bought a 2013 Mazda6 for $17k plus taxes and fees. So far I'm very happy with the car!
    What was the MSRP on your car?
  • tcn2ktcn2k Posts: 277
    A dealership in my hood is willing to give me 1k off the msrp of the GT model including the current incentive of 1k for loyalty. Total off is 2k off the msrp of the latest mazda 6. Is this a good deal?
  • MSRP was $22250, so my price was over 5k lower than MSRP.
    Mazda6 i sport automatic.
    great price; how is the power of the 4-cyl engine?
  • As long as you're not expecting a drag racer, it's fine. It's responsive, gets good acceleration when you need it. It's certainly better than the 2003 Taurus I traded it in for, and that had a 3.0 V6.

Others have test the 0-60 time at about 7.8 seconds.
    Good deal. I bought a 2007 at the end of the model year like you just did and got about $5500 off. I think at the end of February and beyond people will be getting deals like $6-7k off MSRP on leftovers. Selection will be more limited but deals will be there to be had. Expecially since the 2014 is changed so much both in looks and drivetrain. If I wanted an economical entry point into a good midsizer, a 2013 Mazda6 would be a great deal.
  • Inventories are pretty low, so I don't know how long the getting will be good.
    I just looked, and another dealer near me is selling the same car at 16k.
    C'est la vie...

If you're in the northwest, look at Alan Webb in Vancouver WA.
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 796
    ’ve found a dealer here in the metro Atlanta area who has two NEW 2012 Mazda6 s Grand Touring models for almost $10,000 off sticker price. Both have the Technology Package and Navigation System, both have Black Leather interior, the only difference is color- one Silver and the other is Black. Sticker on both is $34,390 and I could buy for $24,495 plus sales tax and $66 in tag/title fees.

I’m not interested in the Black, but Silver would actually be my second choice of all the colors offered. My favorite is the Fireglow Red, but at this stage in the game and at these prices, I’m fine with my Silver.

2013 s Grand Touring models are few and far between. I found one located about 300 miles away. It is Silver with the Technology Package but doesn’t have Navigation (not a deal breaker). It stickers for $32,570 and I could get it for $25,126 plus TTT.

If they were both local, I probably would go for the 2013 model. But it doesn’t seem worth it to travel 600 miles round-trip, pay $600+ more AND lose the NAV…right???

I have wanted a new Mazda6 since I test drove one of the new 2009 models shortly after they were released. My 2006 Mazda3 (which I still have) was having some minor warranty work and I had a few hours to kill, so they gave me the keys to a Kona Blue 2009 Mazda6 s Touring! I remember whimpering when I had to give the keys back and buying a new car at that particular time wasn’t realistic for me.

My only regret is that they discontinued Kona Blue after the 2010 model year! =( The color palette of the 2011-2013 models doesn’t do much for me. The Autumn Bronze and Steel Blue don’t seem to “fit” the car’s design, IMO. I think the old Performance White looked better than the White Platinum Pearl; Polished Slate is too dark for my taste and I could never own a Black car because I’d go insane trying to keep it clean! That leaves Ingot Silver and Fireglow Red, which are the two that I like. Fireglow Red sells like hotcakes and I can understand why! Even the 'i' Sport looks like million bucks in Red…

In my search, I've found three dealerships that offer hefty discounts AND they list the discounted prices on their websites, instead of making you call to get a 'sale' price-

MedCenter Mazda- Pelham (Birmingham), AL

Cory Fairbanks Mazda- Longwood (Orlando), FL

Russel Mazda- Baltimore, MD
    REF: 2339
    Understand that you are buying a 2 year old model (the 2014 is out) and that the depreciation is at least 30% especially on a high end model. While 10k off sticker seems like a deal, it is barely adequate for all the risk you are taking. I searched on cars dot com for a used 2012 s grand touring (all over the US). Found only 14 for sale with a wide price range from 22k to 29k. I'd shoot for a little more off (say 24k max) especially since it's the end of the month. Good luck...
    I think he understands he is buying a car that is two model years old and that is why they are taking 10 grand off the price. So you are saying that you have found USED 2012 Mazda6s GTs and some were asking $29000 and some were as low as $22000 and we don't even know if they had all the packages he is getting. So to say that $24,495 for a BRAND NEW one with the manufacturers 3 year bumper-to-bumper and 60k powertrain warranty isn't worth a little more is ridiculous. Sure, he can try to get a few bucks more off but that deal is already fantastic if that is the kind of car he wants. It's hardly "barely adequate".

Just what kind of risk are you referring to if the dealer has already taken the depreciation hit and he drives off in a car with 0 miles on it with all the new car warranties intact?