Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ncmazda6ncmazda6 Posts: 8
    Mazda said they will advertise the new cx-9 first and then the all new 2014 mazda 6
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,956
    Yeah, like I said. Lack of advertising $$$.
  • vlapintavlapinta Posts: 22
    I am looking to purchase a Mazda 6 Touring with Technology package. I live in NJ. What is a good price to pay for this car, so I know where to start negotiating. Any info is appreciated.
  • gee22gee22 Posts: 82
    The car should sell in the vicinity of the invoice price.
    how can I find out dealer invoice price?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,923
    Click on new cars at the top/left of the page.... then follow the prompts to pick the model you are interested in..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

A dealer just offered me this. Do you think I can do better?
    Msrp 25,290
    Selling price 24,500
    State Tax 1,531.25
    Dealer Tax 65.41
    Doc. Fee 125.00
    Deputy Fee 5,00
    License Title Regis St 126.00
    Balance Due 26,352.66
    Probably. Did you check out your local pricing at Edmunds (True Market Value) and KBB.com (Fair Purchase Price)? That should serve as a guide.
    I counter offered 24,100 for a Mazda 6 Touring. The dealer finally agreed. Thanks for all your help.
  • jagat101jagat101 Posts: 5
    Wow, $24,100 for a 6 Touring? Is that with the 6AT?

How does $22,600 + TTL sound for a hard-to-find 6 Touring 6MT...that's how I ended up getting mine last 5/18.
    Looks like you paid $336 under invoice. I paid $222 under but that included window etching. Looks like vlapinta paid $173 above invoice. Maybe he didn't do as well as us, but he was certainly not ripped off. He originally said he wanted the tech package and if he got that in his price (which I don't believe he did), he put us both to shame.
    Oh I forgot to mention, $22.6K + TTL includes one option on my JBM 6MT..a LoJack ($695). I never wanted any options or added doo-dads upon purchase but I let this go, since it is a very useful and beneficial addition.

I love to work on my cars, so I am actually now in the middle of adding OEM 2014 Mazda 6 accessories myself (all weather mats, bumper guard, scuff plates...next purchase, the fogs). Getting the OEM stuff after purchase of the car is EASY and alot CHEAPER, than with them already installed upon delivery.

Also, I was quite surprised that I only paid $450 over a 6 Sport 6AT at invoice ($22,150; via KBB.com).
  • igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 791
    Did you tell your insurance company that it has LoJack installed? If not, you definitely should give them a call. It varies from one insurer to another, but that could be worth up to 10% off your Comprehensive (or Other Than Collision) premium!
    When I bought my CX-9 last November, I only had the splash guards and roof rack installed at purchase. I had them match the best price I could get online for the accessories and install for $0, told them it was a deal-breaker after I had negotiated the final price of the car. But I purchased several other OEM accessories and installed them myself after purchase. The latest was the stainless steel rear bumper guard, which I believe is also offered for the Mazda6. Very sharp!
    edited June 2013
    Oh yeah. It was a foregone conclusion. I'm pretty surprised of the low insurance premium for this car (compared to other Japanese makes) under Wawanesa. It's like paying only twice for the year of what I used to pay (minus collision) for my near 13yr old (paid off 10yrs ago) VW Passat.
  • cpalm1cpalm1 Posts: 9
    Sorry, I'm a little confused. So you agreed upon the $22.6 and the dealer then threw in a Lojack? Please provide a breakdown of the dealer fees and the cost of the car. Thanks
    I was amazed when I bought my 2012 CX-9 GT. It was actually $7/year cheaper than the 2007 Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD that it replaced. I added OEM parts coverage, Diminished Value protection and removed Roadside Assistance, it ended up being $12 more per year with those changes.

But the crazy thing is that it's $80/year cheaper to insure than my 2006 Mazda3 s 5-door! Both vehicles have identical coverage limits, same deductibles and rated for the same driver and annual mileage.

But I can't exactly complain, I carry Liability Limits of 500/500/100 and matching Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist limits. My Collision deductible is $500 and Comprehensive deductible is $100. I pay $1120/year for both cars with that level of coverage....my agent is pretty awesome (me)! =)
    I wouldn't think it was crazy that it's cheaper to insure a CX-9 than a Mazda3. If a CX-9 meets another car, chances are that the other car will sustain more damage (car and occupants). Just the opposite with the Mazda3. If your CX-9 met your Mazda3 on the highway, I would expect your insurance check to be much higher for the Mazda3. And while a CX-9 can certainly do more damage to another vehicle, the typical driver will be older and more experienced and I would assume this would be taken into consideration in the underwriting when developing rates for these cars.
  • subdrvrsubdrvr Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    Consider yourself lucky. I live in suburban Detroit (Southfield, MI) and my premiums are ridiculous considering my personal situation. No accident since 1989, One claim in the last 10 years and that was a windshield chip. My 14 Mazda Touring jacked my insurance up about 30% (reduced it by half by lowering some coverages). What bothered me more than that was as my previous vehicle went down in value every year my premium went up. Why? Because I have committed the unredeemable crime of living in my zipcode and nothing I can do like the fact that my car is parked in a 24 hour monitored security parking garage will convince the insurance industry that I'm not a 19 year old with 4 DUIs and 6 accidents on my record.

Talk about legalized thievery. I was told by my agent once that if I made a claim for $500 damage to another vehicle my rate would go up by that amount for each of the next three years. Needless to say I paid the claim from my personal funds. Don't bother to tell me to check other companies. This has been a universal problem with any company I have been with.
    edited June 2013
    I read several industry industry news sites almost daily. I'm familiar with all the problems that plague the auto insurance business in Michigan. And I feel for you, seriously.

The entire concept of “No Fault Auto Insurance” is flawed because it only works under ideal circumstances and in a perfect society...which only exists in fairy tales! It was the product of the hippee/utopian world fantasies of the late 60s and early 70s. At its height, in 1975, 26 states had adopted no-fault auto insurance law.

At the end of 2012, only 13 states have retained the no-fault system. In each of those 13, various modifications in law and policy have been made in an attempt to fix the problem. But, at best, they’re just trying to bail out a sinking boat using a thimble!

The intended objective of No-Fault was to reduce insurance premiums by limiting litigation and eliminating obscene court-ordered insurance payouts that weren’t merited. Instead, the system is plagued by fraud and corruption. The ability to properly assess risk for an individual driver and adjust the insurance premium commensurate to that is also difficult, if not impossible! So insurers err on the side of caution and premiums are set at an artificially high level.

Georgia, where I live and am licensed to sell insurance, was one of the 26 states that adopated the no-fault system in the 70s. It was repealed in 1991 and premiums dropped by 20% within one year and have remained steady for more than two decades.

As a consumer and an insurance agent, I am in the minority in supporting federal oversight of insurance law instead of each state having its own screwed up system! Of the five states that border Georgia, only the laws and regulations in Albama are similar. The other four have substantial differences from us and from one another....it’s chaos!

But I feel especially bad for you and other Michigan residents. The political officials in your state aren’t exactly the cream of the crop...the phrase “bottom of the barrel” comes to mind for some reason. I think they all wear t-shirts that say “They had to promote (or elect) me, there was nobody left” on casual Friday! =)

Ironically, one of the best insurance companies in the country is based in Lasing, MI. Auto-Owners has been rated #1 in Auto Claims Satisfaction in the entire industry for five consecutive years. My grandparents and parents have been insured by them for over 25 years. I was seriously injured in 2001 when I was t-boned by an uninsured drunk driver. I was driving my mom's SUV to pick up a table that I wanted but couldn't fit in my car. Her Uninsured Motorist paid over $90k in Medical Expenses and Lost Wages and did so with no hassle if documentation of expenses was provided. That experience is what inspired me to work in the insurance business and at an independent agency that represented Auto-Owners.
    I know Jagat said that the premiums for other Japanese cars were higher, but I'm paying more for collision on my GT than our $40K Volvo. Since you're in the business, how does the Mazda6 compare with the Camry, Accord and Altima? Thanks
  • bigtyme1bigtyme1 Posts: 3
    I just leased a 2014 Mazda 6 touring. I was charged MSRP of $25,395. dealer would not budge. I received $1,000 for Mazda appreciation, Plus $350 for leasing through Mazda. I receive $1,000 for my trade and I put down $2000. I have 15,000 miles per year with a 36 month lease and a payment of $246.00 per month. is this a good deal or did I get robbed?
    It was $25,006.95 otd, this is gross (without my trade-in, not net).

I did not put any cash down on my 6MT Touring and it makes no sense pouring more "liquidity"/cash in a depreciating asset (car's are one of them). The "big hit" (depreciation) starts the instant you drive the car off the dealer lot (my usual substantial down, it's sitting at Wall St, "rolling-the-dice", saved for over a year now).

Compare the rate of return (of my down) versus 0.74% for 48mos on my CU loan. My interest out of pocket for 4yrs = $359.77 (with trade in factored in, net cost). :D
    Based on posts in this forum, most people are paying around invoice plus or minus a few hundred. kkb.com says a fair price is about $200 over invoice. Mine was under invoice but I have four dealers within 45 minutes .
    Usually, it's impossible to evaluate a deal if a trade-in is involved, but in your case, since you only got $1,000, the most you could have gotten over book is $1,000 and that would mean your car was worth absolutely nothing so even if that was the case, you would still be well above invoice so unless you are in an area where you are captive to one dealer, you should have done better on the price.
    Without knowing the residual, money factor (appears to be .00027 based on recent posts) and what other items you may have put in the lease (fees, tax, registration, etc), I can't tell you if the $246 was the appropriate number so I can't tell without more data whether you got the benefit of the Mazda loyalty or if the dealer pocketed it. If you provide that, I will let you know. Even if you could have done a little better, you are still getting a lot of car for the money. Enjoy it. :)
    I just looked over my paperwork. The gross capitalized cost is $24, 895, which includes the $595 acquisition fee. The agreed-upon value of the car was $24, 300. The cap reduce tax $55.11, delaware title tax $874, doc fee 279, initial registration $155, first month payment $246.86. Cap cost reduction $2740.03, net trade in allowance $1000, rebates and non-cash credits $1,350 ( $1000 mazda loyalty , and $350 for financing through Mazda), amount to be paid in cash $2000 down for a total of $4,350. Adjusted capital ized cost is $22,154.97. I have a 36 month lease with 15,000 miles per year. $246.86 per month. the car is registered Delaware.($241.99 base monthly payment + $4.87 monthly sales tax for a total of $246.86).

Residual is $14,162.40. I traded a 2000 Mazda Millenia with 230, 000k miles. I did have the lease Factor but I threw it away I believe it was in the neighborhood of 00055.
    Your original post said the price was MSRP but based on the $24,300 price and the fact you got $1,000 for that Millenia (I had a 95) , I think you did fine. I couldn't tie directly to the $246 but it was ballpark.
    Thank you, gee22! I appreciate your response.
  • Which NJ dealer? (waiting to compare 6 and the new 3 coming out soon)
  • Hi all,

I ended up paying 22,800 out the door (after 6% tax and transfer tag). How did I do?
  • Purchased a Mazda6 Touring and loving it. The dealer I purchased from does not install alarms and they advised going to any local alarm outfit. I was wondering if anyone had an alarm system installed that DID NOT require carrying around another Fob. If so, how much did you pay? Also, would like to hear from folks if you think an alarm is totally not necessary.