Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Mazda6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• newmz6ownernewmz6owner Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 2004 Mazda 6S last week in Pennslyvania. Talked the dealer down to $125 over invoice. But the day before I bought it I found out a family member works for an affiliate of Ford and got special pricing. Paid $92 under invoice, based on Edmunds numbers.

Options included:
    Luxury Package
    Sport Package w/ spoiler
    Power Moonroof
    Bose
    Side AB & AC
    5 Spd Maual

Out the door = $23,388.00
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Out the door = $23,388.00 ....including TTL?

That is a steal!!!
  • luvmymazdaluvmymazda Member Posts: 19
    Figured after the comment made about no postings here I would add mine............
    Glacier silver 6s auto
    Value sport package with spoiler(I liked this because it allowed me to pick interior color)
    Leather
    Sunroof
    Comfort Package
    Wheel locks
    10 year 100k powertrain warranty
    Out the door $21447
  • newmz6ownernewmz6owner Member Posts: 3
    Forgot to add tax, title, license...

Tax = $ 1,403
    T+L = $ 120

OTD = $24,911

After driving it for a week I probably would have paid a $1,000 more. It's a great car.
    OTD = $24,911

now that is in line what I was expecting. Good deal anyway. you cannot go wrong with s-plan anyway.
  • recklazrecklaz Member Posts: 4
    I really want a Mazda6 2004 or 03 with sports package with the $500 rebate and that low interest rate deal that they have until december. Anyways i dont want to deal with the rust so i want to know which mazda6s dont have the rust issue? I'm from Miami Florida btw. Thanks.
  • mazda6smazda6s Member Posts: 1,901
    Currently there appears to be a discrepancy between the Mazda reported range of VINs for the affected vehicles and what actual owners are reporting. Some owners that are not in the official range have rust. So, in answer to your question, there is no way to know if a particular car will have the problem, except to buy it and wait to see if it rusts.

It will probably be a few more months before this all shakes out and we know which cars are "safe" and which are not.
  • karyakartakaryakarta Member Posts: 17
    Hello I am pretty new to this forum, however I have already been following this forum for some time already. I am just wondering if there is any buyer of mazda 6 out there who are disappointed with the rebates?

I do understand that rebates are always good because there will be more potential buyers who will start looking at mazda products. Buyers like it too because they can save some money from rebates. But rebates has the bad side too for those buyers who bought their cars early before there was any rebate.

This is so upsetting me because I bought my car in early May before there is any rebate (If I am not wrong, Mazda rebates only started in June). I missed the rebates because I bought the car less than 2 months earlier. Now, if i were to sell the car, I would have to count the depreciation plus the rebates (which I have never enjoyed). SIGH. Is there anybody out there who experience the same thing with me? If you are, please kindly contact me and together we can petition Mazda.

I have changed cars many times. Most of the time, I bought Japanese cars like Nissan, Toyota and Honda. Actually this is my first time buying a Mazda. From my experience, Japanese manufacturers do not tend to give much rebates on their new products. For example, you do not see any factory rebate on the new Honda accord. Even if you do, they are merely a few hundred bucks and not in thousands. I thought this would be the same when i bought my Mazda 6. But I was disappointed when Mazda introduced a $1500 rebates in June for their brand new Mazda 6 which only debuted last December. In August they increased the rebate to $2000 and now the rebates are up to $2500 for a brand new 2003 Mazda 6. To make things worse, i paid cash when I bought my car.

I had tried to talk to one of the Mazda customer service about it without expecting much result. As expected, they say that would be impossible as they are not supposed to break any contract sales. Why would Mazda wants to lose its money that is already in their pocket. How I wish I had gone with the Nissan Altima or Honda Accord as my father had suggested. They cost about the same at that time. SIGH In Mazda website, they claims "And it's that way today as we continue to build on our reputation as a leader in the industry, gaining an extremely loyal following of repeat customers along the way" I wonder if they will ever be able to live up to it.
  • troybentroyben Member Posts: 42
    In Aug 2001, we bought 2002 Mountaineer, no rebates, $400 over invoice. 9/11 happened & all of a sudden $2500 rebates. Barely month past our purchase. Nothing you can do - price we pay for wanting redesigned or new model cars.
  • polyester1970polyester1970 Member Posts: 18
    Just picked this up last week.

2003 6s, Onyx Black
    * Manual Trans
    * Sports Package
    * Leather Seats
    * Comfort Package
    * Power Moonroof
    * Side Airbags
    * Bose Audio/6 CD Changer

Before Rebate: $ 23,186.00 ($200 under invoice)
    Rebate: $ 1,500.00

Before TTL: $ 21,686.00

California DMV was about $500!!! Arnold already rolled it back, but the dealer said "they hadn't got anything official from the DMV so they HAD to charge it. Otherwise they'd be risking their butts..." sure..whatever, they just want the cash now so they can day-trade with it probably.

I also got the extended warranty, 7 year/100K for $1295. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. California law allows you to refund extended warranties within 2 months of purchase, I think.

Thoughts? Hope this helps.

PS... This car was built in 6/03, and it's been sitting on the lot for about 4-5 months they said. No rust. They said the rust is a mid-west thing (acid rain, etc..), not sure if that's true.
  • otoluvaotoluva Member Posts: 196
    Congrats, great car for great price, enjoy.
    Did you get a Mazda extended warranty? If not, I would get the refund.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    what was the MSRP?

many dealers are promoting net savings of near 5 k across the board on 6's.
  • polyester1970polyester1970 Member Posts: 18
    MSRP:
    The MSRP was $25,665. I also forgot ULEV ($100), it's a required option on CA cars. There were defintely deeper discounts on the 6i or non-sports package models.

EXTENDED WARRANTY:
    I'm still confused about this warranty. I checked the contact and it doesn't explicitly say anything about Mazda being the contractor. The "Contractor's Administrator" is AutoGard in Santa Ana, CA. Is this a 3rd party extended warranty? I had a 87 Toyota Supra, and I didn't have any non-wear & tear repair until it hit 160K. But then again, this is a Mazda built by Ford with a Ford engine...makes me a bit uneasy.
    Any other helpful comments about the warranty?
    Based on that I would say that you have a 3rd party warranty and not a Mazda extended warranty. If I was in your position I would get a refund and buy the Mazda warranty.
    get a Mazda Warranty.

BTW, you got a too good of a deal. I am jealous.
  • grotsgrots Member Posts: 2
    Got my 2003 6i auto last monday.
    Not sure about out of the door, but after rebate I got it for $15500 with sticker price being $20020.
     Also bought a paint protection from dealer for $150, I think i could get it for less than that, but i was in a hurry to get behind the weel (you know the feeling :) ).
     Did I do OK?
    That's a good deal, but actually you got it for $15650 becuase the paint protection you paid extra for is probably worthless. Dealers count on the excitement of the moment to cause you to buy stuff like that.
  • grotsgrots Member Posts: 2
    "the paint protection you paid extra for is probably worthless."

You might be right, even though they said they were going to put some kind of protective coating on it and give me 5 year warranty on any kind of weather damage (especialy rust, wich is a big issue here in WI)...
    Yeah I know about the rust, Appleton is my home town.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Mazda's don't have great resale value's like the Japanese Big 3. In fact Mazda's have never had good resale value. Look at the 626's rsale value. Its not great all its a little better than Domestic Big 3 cars. Look at my car. I have an 2002 Acura CL. Now Honda canceled the car. My car might depreciate badly. I sometimes think I should have bought the TL instead of the CL. In the end its my fault. I bought what I bought and thats it. I like the car though. Finally, With Mazda's if you want a trade in a car every 3 years I would stay away from Mazda then. Another note within a 5 year period all cars lose 50% of their original price.
  • bullseyejoebullseyejoe Member Posts: 7
    Hi All,

Just bought a 2003 Mazda 6 with 6 Cylinder engine (Redfire Metallic with Beige interior had 600 miles).

The only extras were:

8-way power driver's seat with lumbar support
    Lip rear spoiler
    automatic transmission (Sport AT)

Cost (Not including MA state tax)

$18,400 + $65 (plate fee) + $140 (paperwork sticker etc) = $18,605

Is this good ?

Thanks for replies !!
  • rponsetirponseti Member Posts: 35
    Looks like the rebate on the 2003 is up to $2500 and noticed today that the $500 dealer incentive is back also. That's a bunch of money. I might have to get a nice christmas present. It's getting really cheap to own a nice vehicle. Anyone bought one this month yet? Was interested in what you paid? Thanks.
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    $18.6 for a 6cyl AT Mazda6?? Did you buy it or steal it?? (BTW, which dealership in MA? I live in MA and I'm looking at the 6).
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A tv reporter is looking to interview a recent carbuyer who had to sign an arbitration contract at the dealership. Please respond to jackie.sobie@newpronet.com or jfallon@edmunds.com by 12/12/03 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• bullseyejoebullseyejoe Member Posts: 7
    That's where I bought it.
  • buggywhipbuggywhip Member Posts: 188
    Yes, I've seen that Norwood dealer advertising great prices on the 6 in the Sunday Globe. However, the deal YOU got is the best I've ever heard of, anywhere. Geez, for the price of a base Camry/Acc, you got a car with tremendous performance and technology. That's a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Finally, a car consumer who beat the system!!
  • mentingmenting Member Posts: 3
    I bought my Mazda 6i in september.
    The dealer offered me the invoice price up front without any hassles, then I was able to take the $1500 rebate off, the loyalty rebate, and the graduate rebate.
  • akumazakumaz Member Posts: 65
    I've been a huge fan of the 6 since I first saw the Japanese unveiling of the Atenza. When it came time to buy a car, I was unfortunately unable to afford one and ended up getting a VW Golf. Now that the rebates are getting better (and I have a better job), I can potentially get my 6. I have a few questions regarding Mazda (and getting my current car off my hands):

-If I wanted to go about getting someone to take over my monthly payments on my car, what would be the best way of doing that?
    -Are Hertz employees (and family members of employees) eligible for the S-Plan on Mazdas My brother is an employee, so I was curious?
    -Would the rebates and "dealer cash" be eligible on S-Plan?

If any or all of these work out in my favor, I might entertain the thought of getting one very soon. Like I said, I love the 6 and I haven't felt this way about a car since the Ford Probe in '93. Any help is appreciated ^_^
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Hertz is a participating organization. Ask your brother to check into the details for you.
  • a1leo1a1leo1 Member Posts: 7
    I recently purchased a 2004 MZ6S FULLY LOADED FOR 24,000 , at the time of negations when I informed the salesman that I had secured financing there was no mention that they did not and would not accept Internet bank financing nor was it posted any where in the dealership. I was not told this until I arrived the next day to pick up my vehicle. It was then that they said that they could secure financing for me through one of their lenders at the same rate. A few days later I had a friend seen an e-mail to their financing department asking if they accept payments from Internet banks and the answer was yes. I believe this was done so they could increase their profits on the transaction by receiving payment from their lender for steering business their way. Can dealerships refuse financing if it comes from a legitimate lender? Also I bought the car in VA and registered it in DC would the sales tax charged be VA sales tax or DC sales tax and how much would that be? Thank you very much for any answers you can provide.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    sounds like typical dealer BS to me. If you come with a check, they have to sell.
  • cargirl313cargirl313 Member Posts: 1
    What dealership are you referring to in VA? I live in MD, but and I purchased my 2003 Protege ES in July at Brown's Mazda in VA. on July 10th with my internet check. I had absolutely no problems at all. The only issue I had was that they kept attempting to sell me into the MZ 6 because the I was approved for $16,000 more than I actually spent on the car. In hind sight, I only wish I had purchased the MZ 6S, I now need more room. I will be trading in my car in Feb or March for the Mazda 6 S and want to be sure to avoid your dealership.
  • a1leo1a1leo1 Member Posts: 7
    It was Brown's Fairfax Mazda on Lee Highway
  • wsm6674wsm6674 Member Posts: 7
    After much lurking here, and pondering the 3 vs 6 question for a few weeks, finally decided on the 6s. Visited the dealer last Wednesday, found a 6 I like and offered 21,500 out the door. They countered with $21,650. I said $22,000 even. They thought about it for a week and accepted my offer today. I pick it up tomorrow. The details:

2004 Mazda 6s
    - Onyx Black
    - 5 speed
    - 1SE sport package
    - Door edge guards and sport grill
    - $21,516 + tax + fees - $1,000 rebate =
    - $22,000 out the door

Can't wait until tomorrow!
    $21,500 countered by $21,650
    finally you accepted it at $22,000

are you sure?
  • gbuachargbuachar Member Posts: 9
    I live in Minnesota and there is a dealer here that does no haggle policy. They are offering 4K off MSRP 2003 Mazda6 without Sport package or 3.6K off the one with Sport package. What do you think?
  • wsm6674wsm6674 Member Posts: 7
    Oops. That should read: "They countered with $22,650".

Thanks, chikoo.
    If this is a real offer I think you should buy one. But probably you have to qualify for all the rebates to get that pricing.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    What's this about a gas fume leak under one of the seats? Anyone experiencing this?
  • wtyyipwtyyip Member Posts: 6
    Anyone just bought a Mazda6 or 3 in the bay area? How much and which dealership?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ramped1 - try asking that question in our general Mazda6 discussion. That's a better place for it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Folks, take a look at the header of the discussion -- direct contact information to a dealership (such as links) is not allowed.

Sorry, I had to remove a message for that reason.
    bad boy, bad boy, wacha gonna do when they come for you ...

sorry pat, I'm in a humorous mood today. ;)
  • robalakamrobalakam Member Posts: 7
    I have been looking at the Mazda 6 and I have a dealer offer of $20,888 for a "new" 2003 Mazda 6 S with all the bells on. It has 5600 miles as a demonstrator. Is this a good deal or should I go for the 04 new. Thanks.
  • ramped1ramped1 Member Posts: 159
    Not much of a deal. You can get a $2,500 rebate on brand new 03s, or 0 percent financing and $1,000 rebate. With the rebate and dealer discount, you should be able to peel anywhere from $4,000 to $5,000 off the sticker of these cars easily. Why pay almost that much for used?
    It's used, not new. I'd go for the 04.
  • robalakamrobalakam Member Posts: 7
    The sticker price on the 03 S car was $26,130 with auto. Comparable 04 is 27,025. Salesperson said I could have an 04 for $2,000 more (22,888) but this wasn't confirmed. They also had a new 03i (36 miles)and they want 17,100. Has leather auto. Really like both cars though the S moves and the price is what I can swing. What would be a good price for these cars???? Thanks for the input.
  • collockcollock Member Posts: 2
    I have been following the some of the Mazda message boards for a while. I finely decided to take the plunge and buy a 2004 Mazda 6S Manual with no options. They originaly quoted me 300 under invoice with 800-dollar dealer fee 100 for tag transfer or 200 for a new tag along with fl sales tax ($1,267). So out to door for $20,671 since I get the $1000 rebate plus the $500 college rebate. I called up the sales rep and asked for 300 dollars less I figured they still were making a 1% profit plus a holdback I estimate of around .5% to 1.5%. I got it. OTD for $20,372.24 plus what ever the loan fees are from the credit union. Not to bad $200 under edmuds price for a silver. Then again maby there will be a 1500 factory rebate in a week and I will kick myself for not waiting. I have been following inventories online for a few weeks. I am getting it today. Buying a car on the last day of the year appears to be a good Idea. I had little hassle and no pressure. I will let you know when I close the deal how things went. Doing research for a two or three months pays off. I still have to shop around for a exstended warrenty since I plan on keeping this car untill it becomes to expenses to repair.
  • rponsetirponseti Member Posts: 35
    Is today the best day of the year to buy? I was thinking about stopping on my way home from work and see what I can do. I have been doing research and watching inventories also. How desperate are they to get those 2003's off the lots?