Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB - Hip to be square

Comments

• 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I certainly hope they stop production of the current xB by 2007 and preferably earlier.
    Isn't this really an older design that has already been selling in Japan for several years?
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Yes, the xB is an older design that has been in the Japanese market for several years. It is not uncommon to have some of the Japenese and Korean vehicles have a run of a couple years in their domestic market before they are introduced into the American market ... which is good. It allows them to work out most of the bugs before we see them.

The thing I like about the xB is the interior room. I'm 6'-7" tall and can fit with plenty of room to spare in any seating location in the car. Cargo volume is pretty spartan with 5 passengers but when you fold down the rear seats it really opens up a pretty big space.

It would be nice if Toyota offered the 1.8L cylinder engine from the Matrix in the xB since a little more oomph under the hood would be welcome. I would also like to see a larger fuel tank to extend the range of the car. Other than that it has a lot going for it; the small exterior size, nimble handling, good fuel economy, standard features you don't see in an economy car, and a low price tag. Sure it looks like a milk carton on wheels but it has character.
    Since the xB is based on the current Echo which is about to be replaced, I would think there will be a new xB based on the new Yaris/Vitz by the following year.
    Besides more power for decent acceleration with the automatic transmission and the weight of a couple passengers onboard, the xB could use the latest crash protection advances that only a newer design would have as well as side curtain head and torso airbags.
    I wonder which will be here first --the new Nissan Cube, the redesigned Element, or the redesigned xB?
    Maybe even Chrysler will have something competitive to replace their PT Cruiser in a year or so.
  • radioduderadiodude Member Posts: 4
    Yeah, its not uncommon to have swirl marks aready on a spankin new scion. And it a big yes to paint chiping on the hood to I'd consider a bra (yuck, IMO) or a clear bra by 3M. Also many of my friend and I have reported the paint on the ground effects scratching off easily by road debris, even when you can recall hiting anything??

For reference I have a 2004 Orange Scion xB RS1 w/ 5spd tranny and about 17,500 miles racked up. I have had my car a full yr, and was one of/if not the first 5spd RS1 taken delevery of in TX. Any question folks have feel free to e-mail me dixiedude18@yahoo.com or I strongly suggest checking out forum sites like scionlife.com ... lots of smart folks out there ready to ansewer anything.

Here's a link to my ride: http://www.scionlife.com/?Radiodude

GoodLuck!
    -will
  • radioduderadiodude Member Posts: 4
    Oh and just to clarify the cruise issue. Cruise is a dealer or a port installed option (much like the other options on the enormous list).

The problem is that not all toyotas come from the same port or distributer. Here in Texas we have GST (Gulf States Toyota) and alot do some in through the port of houston. GST does not or has ever offered cruise for an xB (at least to my knowledge). However folks in the southeast (i.e. Georgia) can order cruise as an option because their ditributer offers it. AS with anything prices vary. Check this for yourself when you go to the "build your own scion" page... eneter a Georgia zip code, then try a TX one (like 77002)

-will
  • timberdoodletimberdoodle Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone drive this in the snow? How does it do- I live south of Buffalo in NYS so I would like to know- thanks for any thoughts.
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    Automobile had a four seasons article on the xb in the latest issue. I got it last night in the mail. Interesting reading.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Someone said one of their ground effect plastic pieces got damaged by a snowpile at a curb or parking lot, and wanted to know how to remove them for winter.
    Can you give me an idea of what they have to say? I have been on other sites reading and it seems it is getting around well in the snow and the traction control is helpful.

So I would be replacing a 94 prizm with high miles with the xb. Since the price is not negotiable on the xb can I get dealers to compete on trade in value for the prizm? Will be paying cash.
  • chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    I would sell the Prizm privately... Dealer will not give you what it is worth.
  • chris777chris777 Member Posts: 126
    I am thinking about trading my crv in on an Xb, or possibly the honda fit/jazz (if and when it ever sees the light of day stateside)
    however, I am not sure how they compare on interior specs, has anyone ever seen the specs compared on any sites?, I am curious if the fit, would be roomier than the xA as it is just too cramped feeling.

Also for the long time owners, how good is real world fuel economy on average on your Xb

and on a side note any recomendations on a good COMFORTABLE arm rest for the xb (storage is a plus, but comfort is the bottom line ie padded)
    The xB is much roomier than the xA. Gas mileage for me has ranged from 32-34.

And for that armrest, see link.

http://allscion.com/armrest.html
    Just unless you want to unload that Prism, just keep it as your second car. However, if you do want to sell it, do it yourself.

I have a 95 Corolla, and I never plan on selling it until the day it dies.
    Thanks for the feedback, tundradude. I am looking to unload the Prizm, I have a tacoma I use and do not need 2 cars. I was thinking that the trade-in value is the only way to get dealers to "compete" on the price of the xb and one of them may give me a good value to get the sale, but it sounds like a private sale is the way to go. Prizm/Corolla are a great value- mine is still running strong. I have thought about keeping it as a winter car, but not sure if it is worth the bother/expense. Anyone do the winter/summer car thing?
  • crazedcommutercrazedcommuter Member Posts: 281
    I'm finally taking the Xb plunge after much research and scanning the forums on this site. I'm just waiting for my tax return to come back in 2 weeks for a bigger downpayment. The day it comes in I'm buying my 05'Xb. I drive about 110 miles daily, usually in metro Wash DC traffic, so I'm getting the auto tranny. Does anybody have any feedback on the TRD exhaust and CAI combo for the Xb? IF it adds some zip to the Xbox I'll get it because It'll help in DC's traffic nightmare. But will it really make a difference or is it a waste of $$$? Does it decrease gas mileage or add to it? Thanks to all.
    If you order it now, then it will be in after you get your tax refund.
    I considerd doing that but I'm confident that there will be plenty of Xb's available in my area for the next 2 weeks. There are 7 Scion dealers within 50 miles my home and another 10 wihin 20 miles of my workplace. Inventory seems be strong with anywhere from 3 to 28 Xb's in stock at the dealers. Color is not a huge issue, but I probably won't get Thundercloud due the fact that I've had silverish cars for a while. It's funny..we seem to collect red/burgundy, and silver vehicles, and I do like the Black cherry Xb. Cammo and blue look good to me too. Yours is blue right? How has your paint held up? You must have 1000 miles+ by now. What are your likes and dislikes of your Xb?
    I drove a loaded down xb waaaaaay back when they first introduced them that had a cruise control (along with $7000 worth of additional options on it)
    And I was wondering if their was more than one type of cruise available for the xb vthe one they had was an additional stalk added to the steering column, are the standard toyota cruise controlls where it is integrated into the steering wheel available for the xb?
    also I looked at a tc and noticed they integrated the keyless entry into the actual vehicle key, are they doing that with the xb at all ?
    Mine is blue. Paint is held up fine. I have about 1250 on it now.

I wish Toyota put a fuel cap holder on the fuel door. An armrest could have been std. You also have to be careful when having the back door raised if you have a garage door. Finally, the xB does get noiser in a rainstorm.

On the plus side, the room is immense. It attracts lots of smiles. I also really like the comfortable seats. Plus the shifter action is just abut perfect (manual).

In time, I believe some alloy wheels would be nice. The tire shop has a nice set of Enkeis for 450 that will fit nicely on it.

I also have a mixed bag on the radio. The actual head unit is fine. The volume button gets annoying, but overall its fine. I love the mute button. The standard speakers are just different in the vehicle. Two speakers are on top of the dash, two in the front doors, and two in the rear panel. I never never hear the rear speakers, but the front four are not bad. I have checked out upgrading them by getting some boston acoustics. Although, the factory speakers are very tolerable.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase.
    CC is a stalk. Keyless entry is a separate fob and not with your key.

When you get a xB, you receive 3 keys and 2 keyless entrys.
    Does anybody have any feedback on the TRD exhaust and CAI combo for the Xb? IF it adds some zip to the Xbox I'll get it because It'll help in DC's traffic nightmare. But will it really make a difference or is it a waste of $$$? Does it decrease gas mileage or add to it? Thanks to all.
    what sort of mileage are you getting on average?
    and hor far can you drive on a tank?

oh one more question

I am currently driving a crv, and thoroughly enjoy the height above the ground, as scrubbing is non existant

so I was wondering how is entry and exit height on the Xb, is it about average on a small car, I know i used to scrub all the time in my old civic, but it was almost 20 yrs old
    I have filled up four times, maybe the fifth today. I got 32 twice and 34 twice. My current average is 33. The fuel light comes on after 320. The tank has a 11.9 capacity. Roughly 33 X 12 = 396 max Pesonally, I fill it up no more than 330.

I have't had a problem with scrubbing.

The entry / exit is just basically open the door and get in or out. This does not require bending or jumping. It reminds me a lot of my first 93 Toyota Truck. I am 6 feet, but anyone should have no issues. Actually, I was riding in my 95 Corolla the other day, and I forget it wasn't the Scion and I hit my head as I got out. You get used to it pretty quick.
  • jchagtdijchagtdi Member Posts: 55
    tundradude, is your 33 MPG with the manual or automatic?
    I have a manual.
    sorry I was meaning entry and exiting from sharp angles on pavement while driving.
    I just take it nice and slow, but I would do this in any car.
    I am camping this week, so the xB is at home. However, I have noticed someone with a big motor home that had a xB attached to the back.

I have also noticed, that my Tundra requires much less driving than the xB does.
  • johnnyb11johnnyb11 Member Posts: 50
    I plan on buying the xb to replace my 03 accord ex (love it, but i can get a new car for the price of my older car). I test drove the xb a number of times and admire its features and driving ability. I don't get the criticism of its motor, as it seems quite zippy and more than adequate. However, I have one big issue with the car, and almost considered looking at something else. I don't get the close gearing between fourth and fifth, or the omission of a sixth overdrive gear. The close gearing between 4 and 5 is totally unnecessary, reduces gas mileage and I fear increases engine wear due to the high revving at highway speeds. Has anyone heard the rationale for this? Also, does anyone know how many miles this motor is designed to last for without major mechanical failure (I hear Hyundai is now shooting for 300,000 miles!)?
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I believe the low 5th speed gearing on the xB (same issue with my former xA and current Golf) is to permit better responsiveness on the freeway without having to downshift. Compared to cars with high 5th speeds (Cavalier, Neon) that I have driven, the xA and Golf were much zippier in the 50-90 range. Not that the other cars weren't fast, but you had to downshift to 4th first then upshift to 5th.

Many of us have complained about the low 5th speed gearing on the xA. No one seems to want to make it less close to 4th, they would just like to see a 6th speed.

:-)
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    the Scion xA and xB that I subsequently test drove with an automatic were also zippy, because the auto tranny is very responsive and drops out of lockup mode or even down to 3rd very quickly and smoothly. The top gear revs seem to be about 500 rpm lower than the manual transmission cars. It works because the auto tranny shifts so well.
    What are people's experiences on longer highway drives? Is the small motor and high revving manual tolerable? Do you think the motor will go 100,000 miles (or 200) when the little motor has to work so hard? I can't decide whether to get the xb because of this short gearing and small motor.

Also, I have seen on posts, car mag reviews and even an Edmund's review that the seats come out of the xb, but my local dealer said they do not, and I can't see a way to make that happen? Anyone know?
    Since this is not the smallest engine that Toyota has ever built, why would you think this would be the one that can't go 100K miles? Why would this small engine in the xB not be able to handle revving when Toyota has built similar small engines for decades?

You should test drive one at highway speeds and decide if it's too noisy.
    I drove an 89 Corolla GT-s for 10 and a half years. I should have never sold it. However, it had the famous 1.6L 4A-GE engine. It turned 3400 at 60. That engine was indestructible. It was noisy for long drives. The car was just about perfect.

The xB is quieter than that car, and it is find in terms of noise at highway speeds. I have noticed though that gas mileage just suffer a little (1-2 mpg) and at higher speeds, the car requires more driving input. I see no reason that this engine is just as good as the one above (just not as fun).
  • trailbuildertrailbuilder Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if a Scion XB can be purchased with a larger engine? I read about this in Consumer Reports but the car dealer in Charlotte NC does not seem to know about it. 108 hp just is not enough hp to quickly merge into traffic around here. Thanks
  • w2323w2323 Member Posts: 60
    The first time I saw the XB was in a car show. I read all the info I could find. Even though my wive did not want it. Driving the Xb is different then researching however.

When I think of aftermarket armrests I think of those trashy ones that walmart sells. If Scion has one aftermarket perhaps it will work if they designed it specically for that xb, and if it has the proper height and feel. I have a camry and a sienna and can tell you Toyotas are not known for their comfort.

I was thinking overall the lack of an armrest (just for support, could care less about storage), the pickup, and noise could overwhelm me in city traffic.

As far as the pickup I don't mind slow pickup as long as it's not dangerously slow, I'd rather have the MPG which this has. It's more of an issue with me I guess. It could be fine for others. 110 miles is a lot of driving hope it works out. Love the price. I would not worry about quality on the Scions.

I also looked at the Focus in 2001 nice car.
  • w2323w2323 Member Posts: 60
    seats fold flat into the body
    The xB is noisy in a rainstorm. No question about that. However, I don't agree with the lack of power argument. It has enough in any situation. I work in Winston-Salem NC, and it has plenty. My xB will also go in more curves without losing a beat. I have the front strut tie bar.

What accessories did you get crazedcommuter?
    Hey Tundradude, I finally hunkered down and took the plunge. My option list was relatively short, as your was. I got the strut tie bar, fog lights, mats, and the EM 7 rims. I was going to get aftermarket rims but I'll need snows for the winter, and the dealer gave me the stock rims and wheel covers with the upgraded rims. This way I'll have snow tires mounted this summer and I'll be ready for next winter. The aftermarkets were about $450 and then hunting for stock rims and wheel covers would have been very close to the actual cost of the wheel upgrade. I also got the Thundercloud metallic . I was going to get Blue Onyx or Black Cherry, but the salesman appologized to me that those colors were dusty. He said that the dust from all the road work and construction showed up particularly well on those 2 colors. The Thundercloud did not show the dust, so I opted for it. I'm doing the break in mode and it is frustrating getting passed by octogenarians on I-81. It is almost impossible to go under 55 mph in the DC area traffic, but I'm making a concerted effort. I live in the eastern Panhandle of WV and commute to Dulles Airport. Traffic wasn't bad in my direction until about a year ago. Now everyone drives at either 25 mph or 75 mph. The housing developers have since turned our portion of the state into a DC bedroom community. About 3000 homes have been built here since 2002 and it's still Growing. I guess it proves the old saying right,"if you build it they will come."
    Its almost impossible to do on the highway. About 95% of the time I got away with keeping it under 60 during break-in. It was hard though. I was happy to get the first 1000 over with so I could speed up with the rest of traffic. There is a inverse relationship with the xB. As speed goes up, mileage goes down. This might sound trivial, but it depends on the car. The lowest I have had is 31.4 in mixed driving and 34 in mixed driving being the best. Some vehicles are more efficient as you go faster. My Tundra will get 20 mpg if you average around 80-85 in it. I believe the xB will get even better over time. I now have 1800 miles on mine.

The present day Corolla gets the best gas mileage per packaging and its sister car, the Matrix gets almost as good. I drove a 03 Corolla LE with an auto half across the country and back doing 42 mpg once, but the car was uncomfortable (DP). I have had four Corolla from the past and still own one (95 DX). I just wish when Toyota redesigns these cars that they correct their driving postion for us taller folks. I never considered the Matrix when i got the xB, but I did consider the Corolla. The Corolla XRS was interesting, but not very comfortable. Same goes for the S, but with less goodies.

I also have noticed that the xB is just getting more popular in the short time I have had it. On vacation last week, I saw one tC, no xA's, and about 15 xB's. I could be wrong, but I don't see xB's ever becoming too common like a Corolla or even a Celica.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A magazine reporter is hoping to speak with a young Scion buyer who wouldn't be caught dead driving a Corolla or a Camry because they consider that a mom or dad-mobile. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com with your daytime phone number and a few words about your choice no later than Tuesday, April 12, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

You're right about the Xb popularity. I see more of them than Xa's or Tc's. You're also dead on with the Corolla observation. It has an awkward driving position for us taller drivers. Rear passengers have no knee room and the driver's seat seems too short for me. I would like to see Toyota donate the XRS motor to the Xb. I think it would be a big seller. I test drove the Corolla XRS and was impressed with the performance but not the driving position. I put 100 miles on an '05 Camry the other day as the options were fitted to the Xb. It's a good car with excellent highway cruising manners, but the seats are too hard in my opinion. Even with the power seat and lumbar, I could not get comfortable in the Camry, but otherwise it is a smooth runner. I'm glad I bought the Xb when I did as gas prices here are at $2.09-$2.17 for regular. A lot of Expedition and Tahoe drivers were giving the Xb the evil eye at the gas pumps yesterday as I totaled out at $12 bucks for 1/2 a tank. They're paying $60-$80,OUCH!!!
  • tpat3tpat3 Member Posts: 119
    There is just the one engine choice. Aftermarket turbo kits are available, but I don't see the point. If you want speed, you probably want a different car. This is adequate for a city car.
  • tpat3tpat3 Member Posts: 119
    It's tolerable on highway trips, but I haven't taken it longer than an hour so in a year of ownership. We use my wife's Passat for those trips. The engine is noisy and requires a fair amount of input. On the other hand, I'm sure it's indestructible and has no trouble keeping up with traffic. I cruise happily at 75 no problem, though at high rpm.

You can take out the rear seats, as long as you use a wrench:)
    I use it for my hour long commute and I'm not bothered by the noise. Being what it is, the Xb is lacking in the sound insulation dept. To lessen the noise pull off the door panels and headliner and line it with Ndead or Pergo floor underlament. That will help suppress the sound. Just tape the stuff in place with some 3M tape and you're good to go. Riding on country roads is enjoyable, but hilly roads do require a fair amount of throttle action.
    Do you have the manual or 5 speed? Generally, I'd prefer the five speed, but the auto's lower rpm (by 500 or so) at highway speeds, and general responsiveness, and better gas mileage is causing me some more confusion...
  • jezidijezidi Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking about purchasing a Matrix or a XB. I'm 5'3 and I'm concerned about the height of the driver seat in XB because in the Matrix it has a manual height adjuster so it will makes it easier for me to see over the steering wheel. Now is that the case for the XB?

Thanks-
    I'm torn between the same two cars. There is no seat height adjustment for the xb, but you sit quite tall in it, so it should not be a problem. You should go sit in one, though.
    Let me know which you choose - it may help me in my decision.
    I have the automatic. I just passed the 1200 mile mark and it's now broken in. I drove at 70 mph and the rpm's were 3000. It was very responsive at 70-75 and fairly quiet. Throught the 1st 4 tanks, I have averaged 30 mpg.
  • haikunaluhaikunalu Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone out there know if an adult bicycle will fit in a scion b without dismantling the bike?