Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Scion xB - Hip to be square

Comments

• lazlo3lazlo3 Member Posts: 6
    I am only on my third tank of gas, but I am getting around 30 mpg without ac use in the city.
    The engine noise is an issue when it is worked hard, I notice it around 3000 rpm. There are also some clanks and rattling sounds when I am going fast on the freeway. BUt they are nothing that i haven't experienced in other non-luxury cars.
    I find this appealing, it adds to the washing machine persona of the vehicle.
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    you don't have to buy it from dealer stock, you can order one on the dealer net and get it a week later customized with exactly the accessories you want. Has anyone tried that, or did all the owners here buy from dealer stock?

Oh yea, and can you install the cruise control from the Echo, or some other Toyota?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I saw my first xB tonight. It was silver and looked to be loaded! The first thing that impressed me was the size. It's not as small as I thought it would be. It IS narrow looking, though. All in all I liked the looks of it and the finish of the paint looked great. The driver, btw, looked to be around 20 so I guess it is attracting the demographics Toyota was aiming for.
  • jvkalrajvkalra Member Posts: 98
    I know colors are a matter of personal preference and very subjective. But has anyone seen both the thunder cloud and the white xBs?

The thunder cloud (dark silver) does look good, but I already have a silver car so that could be a little monotonous. For those who have seen the white xB I'm interested in hearing your comments. I don't really want the other darker colors because they show streaks more easily and are hard to keep clean.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "Toyota's saga illustrates the sway young consumers hold. In addition to recasting its image, the carmaker is trying to persuade trendsetting teens and young adults - consumers who traditionally buy used cars - to buy their next vehicles right out of the showroom."

Look who's driving design (Christian Science Monitor)

Steve, Host
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    I've seen the white and thunder cloud side by side and to me the white makes the xB look like an old ice cream truck. The front seems to get more emphasized in the white.

I think thunder cloud is the most popular color, based on what I've read on other Scion sites. It's clear that buyers want lighter colors, I'd drop that cherry black and offer colors which can be identified on anything less than a bright sunny day. The black, blue and green just look like different shades of black from a distance.
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Member Posts: 121
    I read in the net that Scion will have a third model in June 2004. Does anyone know what it will look like?

I hope it will be like this one in Japan:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/funcargo/exter- ior/images/ex02_xga.jpg
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's a funky little box. It would fit right in! :-)

-juice
  • coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    That's too xB like...they need something small and sporty, which is what I believe some Toyota official said the third one would be--a coupe I assume.
    I read that the Scion uses a no-haggle pricing scheme. If you have bought a Scion, can you confirm this? Thanks.
  • northwest1northwest1 Member Posts: 65
    Since they have a no-haggle policy, can I assume you can go to the dealer and place an order and wait for a base (no options) xB? Or are they only taking your order if you want one fully loaded?
    come set up one way (except for auto or manual, of course), and all available accessories are installed here at buyer's request. Since they are all ordered on-line through Scion's network, you could get a totally base one if that is what you want.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I guess this method reduces the Scion cars production cost.

BTW, any XB owners out there who can share the daily driving experience with us?

I am worried about the HP output (with auto transmission): the XB may be "pushed" around by the aggressive drivers driving BIG SUVs and fast cars. (Smaller cars don't get any "respect" here in NJ. :( It's a different story when I am driving my '94 Legeng GS :)
  • chris777chris777 Member Posts: 126
    is it in the floor or coming off of the steering column?

I have seen some pictures of the japanese version with it located in both places

also has anyone had a cruise installed on an xb, xa, or echo?

and while I'm asking I was wondering if after market cruise controlls were fairly reliable, and long lasting, ive had several people tell me its better to get options like that factory, since aftermarket seemed to be more troublesome.
    cruise is available at all on Scions, although I was wondering if they could install the cruise from the Echo given the mechanical similarities between the two.

The auto-shifter is on the floor and looks identical to the one on the Echo (as it very well may be!).

• chris777chris777 Member Posts: 126
    i have had a big problem with all these huge center consoles in nearly EVERY vehicle currently being produced

my right knee keeps banging them and I hate it

several months ago at the atlanta auto show they had a "hands off" bbx with sterio and body mods as well as an echo the console looked quite similar i sat in the echo and it didnt bother me that much

is the bbx the same way does it sit low enough to the floor that its not really a nusance
  • micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    I have a VW Golf but am interested in the bX. Does the rear seat fold flat to allow more hauling room? Does it flop forward in sections like on hatchback cars?

It's too bad Toyota shortened the length of the body, relative to the Echo. The extra storage space would be nice.

Can you fit a "big box" like a 32 inch tv in the back through the hatch? Or is it too narrow?

Does it look good for camping? The traction control sounds good for light snow. My VW, without traction control, was decent in light snow (the ABS kept me from skidding on stops).

How about with a baby seat in the back? Can you flop part of the rear seat forward?

I am assuming that the rear storage area with the seat fully up isn't that big. Am I right?
    in the back, not only fold 60/40 like hatchbacks, but come out completely if you so desire: http://www.scion.com/drive/features/drive_xb_features.html

and yes, the space behind them when they are in is pretty small. not quite Mini Cooper small, but smaller than RAVs rear compartment.

the "big box" you described would go in though, I am sure. As long as you took the back seats out. And it looks good for camping, as long as it is a party of two or so.

• micwebmicweb Member Posts: 1,617
    One was on the road in front of me on the last leg of my drive home last night. It doesn't look goofy like the Echo. In fact, although it is built on the same platform, it doesn't look like an Echo at all. It looks low to the ground, well planted, and very square - not rounded like my Golf hatchback. When it darted around traffic (street traffic) it didn't lean at all. The silver color looks nice.

I didn't see the front at all.
    have stated that they are very surprised by how little body lean the xB has, given its height. In fact, one review I read said that it has less body lean than the much smaller lower xA.

• carpeoplecarpeople Member Posts: 36
    An interesting article on Scion:
    http://autos.msn.com/advice/standardart.aspx?contentid=4021974&am- p;am- p;src=News

Some interesting points in the article:

Sales: "As of June 26, 1,058 Scions have been sold, two thirds of which were the xB model."

Average buyers age:"The average buyer's age was 36, 64 percent were male, 59 percent were new to Toyota, and 54 percent of buyers were age 35 or younger"

Product: xB
    "The xB's boxy nature is actually quite functional. The interior has plenty of headroom and legroom, and cargo space is plentiful for a car of its size. "

xA:
    "The xA is a small 4-door hatchback with seating for five; however, rear seating is extremely tight. I'm not particularly tall (5'8"), but my legs were pressed against the front seatback. Unless they were of small stature and extremely comfortable with each other, three people would have a difficult time sitting back there. Cargo space is on the small side as well, with only 11.7 cu ft of room behind the rear seats. However, the front seating position was very comfortable. "

"Performance, however, is not very impressive. Even with a manual transmission, acceleration is quite poor. In the constant trade-off between performance and economy, Scion has opted for economy — the fuel mileage figures are much more impressive than the acceleration numbers"

Customization:
    "Vehicle configuration can be accomplished at the Scion Web site, from any computer. The saved configuration can be recalled on terminals at the dealership for easy ordering. Since the cars all have the same basic equipment, half a dealer's Scion inventory remains at the port where they entered the country. Once a car has been configured online, accessories are added at the port, and the car is delivered to the dealership in a week or less. Accessories can also be added at the dealership. "
    That's good, I think the median age for Corolla buyers was 42, so they are younger. Toyota may have hoping for an even younger demographic, though.

-juice
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Ten Japanese Cars You Can't Have (Car and Driver)

Steve, Host
    Yeah, they gave the Nissan Cube a 10(TEN!!!WINNER) for Yankee deirability. What do you guys think? Me, personally, as long as they bring atleast a 2.0l along with them, I'd be fine with it and would get it instead of a Xb.
    The XB should get 11 for Yankee deirability, because of more HP. :)

P.S. When they show such a cute "box," I wish they put a comparison object near it, so that we can tell how large/small it is.
    Sorry but that's absurd. Unless they made it look like a baby Hummer I doubt it would even earn a 6.

-juice
    The Cube is 8.4 in. shorter than a Xb. They say it is as refined as an Acura :O.

And one more thing that I will quote from the article that amuses me:

"I asked the Cube's chief designer, Yoshi Akiyama, 42, what cars influenced him as he sat at the drawing table. "No cars," he replied. "I'm not so much a car guy. I was looking at refrigerators from the '50s. I liked how the edges were rounded." Akiyama once styled an excavator for Caterpillar."
    Hello lucky XB owners in CA, is the XB expensive to insure?

I read that if a car's target demographic is younger folks (especially young male drivers), then the insurance cost tends to be higher.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    TexasXB

Just curious what good 3 free oil changes at a California Scion dealer will do you in Texas?

Has Scion started their expansion east?
  • texasxbtexasxb Member Posts: 5
    sporin, the oil changes are good at any toyota dealer nationwide so is regular service for the vehicle. if any parts were necessary, the local dealer would have to order them. i've been told scions wont hit officially until february but will start to show up in december. that's what i've heard locally. i'm the only xB in my city as far as i can tell. already used to getting stared at.
    When you drove from CA to TX, how did the XB drive? Did you feel the wind resistance at highway speed? Was the engine quiet at highway speed? How about wind noise?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
    tcpip,
    the ride was great all along the 8 to the 10. the car is so damn quiet and at idle i press the gas just to hear it rev a little to make sure its still on. i'm serious. i cruised easily at 80-90mph. its so smooth and quiet that it feels like you're moving around 50-60mph until you actually pass-by vehicles. i got an automatic and i took overdrive off ocassionally up steep roads along the trip. i'm not a pro on cars but on bumpy roads i'm generally cautious when it comes to potholes, dips, etc. in the Xb as you need to treat it like a lowrider. but that lower chassis ride keeps it nice and tight around turns and passing in and out between lanes. bottom line, the glass, panels, etc are solid and i have never experienced any wind noise, even at highway speeds. i will never sell it UNTIL it's time to trade in for an upgraded Xb way down the road. plus, i NEVER would've bought a NEW car but this one showed up and for all the outstanding basic features plus the thundercloud color and only 15k (!!!) after all is said and done, ka-ching, had to get one.
  • lazlo3lazlo3 Member Posts: 6
    I agree with everythind that tex says. My xB is going on 2 months old and performs flawlessly. I also had a bad experience with the salespeople. Mine new absolutely nothing about the vehicle: I had to teach him from the internet research I had done.
    The scion salespeople couldn't give a rat's [non-permissible content removed] whether they sell the car or not - they don't work on comission. There is no price negotiation, so there is fixed profit, and the sales team is on salary from toyota. They seemed to be actually bored and annoyed when I asked a question about the car!
    Luckily, the car is wonderful and sells itself to those who do the research.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    This car seems to be a hit. I remember reading somewhere that Scions are an instant sucess, with over 2/3 of Scion sales being xBs. I also read that since Scions went on sale, sales have nearly tripled over the past few months. Pretty impressive figures. I don't get why, living in Ohio, I have to wait until June 2004 to get into a Scion. I may just get so impatient that I'll just skip Scion, which would be bad because I heard that Scion is so good. (the xB at least)
    my original intent was to fly out to california, buy the car, and have it shipped back commercially. i arranged to ship with a auto shipper but after i bought the car, i said what the hell, and drove it back to texas myself. i know 700 miles is alot to put on a car second day owning it, but i saved 700 bucks and put it toward my insurance and first monthly payment. so really, nobody has to "wait" for the scion to hit their area outside california. i called all the dealers in the L.A / San Diego area who had the exact model and color i wanted, had em reserve it, got a plane ticket ($200), walked into the dealer with a sight draft in hand, and drove off in my Xb 2 hours later from the dealer and headed home. it was really very easy. any toyota dealer will service the scion, same with the free oil changes. its an option worth considering.
  • terrafirmaterrafirma Member Posts: 212
    Xb is really cool. I've seen several drive around. They aren't really that small..maybe because the greenhouse is so huge.

It can look really cool or really dorky. I happen to think it looks really cool. Hey, you can't get uglier than the Echo!
    post this here as well as in "youngest cars", just because it seems pertinent here, and someone was posting speculating about sales numbers:

http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=44666

It seems to be off to a roaring start, and as I said in the other thread, I think it will be an absolute hoot if Toyota goes ahead with its idea to sell them primed with no paint for more than the painted cars cost...

these cars look awesome. As for xA, well it seems a little too similar to Echo and maybe that is why it is not selling as well as Toyota expected...

• revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    I think the deal with xA sales is that it looks quite dull next to the xB. Obviously people going to look at a Scion are wanting to try something different, and the xA could just be seen as just a hatchback version of the Echo. No fun there.

The xB is really cool. Nothing else on the road looks like it... yet. I am willing to bet that when the sales figures come out, every other japanese auto maker rushes to get there version of "the box" to the US.

I am seriously considering saving some money vs the alternatives and getting one as my next car.
    is playing with the idea of bringing the JDM Cube to market here - its looks will compete directly with xB. The problem is it is a microvan - even shorter and compact than xB - and that may not fly in the U.S.

I love the look of the xB. It is VERY Japanese-chic.

Sounds like Honda could rush it's Mobillo Mini-Mini-Mini van over here ASAP.
    is one tiny tiny little van! :-)

I think I read someplace that 2/3 of all Americans are overweight or obese or something...will they fit in a Honda microvan?! :-P

would force many Americans to slim down. (Our weight and our oil usage)
    is cheap too. Only about $13.5K USD when converted from YEN to DOLLARS. In Automobile Magazine it gives the Mobillo a rating of a little over 9 out of 10, so in their opinion, it would do well. (Just look at the Scion xB) There is a Scion xB in Japan that is a 2 door model with a convertible type roof. (a la Jeep Wrangler) It would be nice to have a dependable car that looks great, sips gasoline, and has that roof like the Jeep Wrangler.
    I've been reading rumors that Honda wants a Scion of their own, it just might happen.

I'm glad the xB is off to a good start, who needs 3 ton SUVs for a commute they usually do alone?

-juice
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    Absolutely!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    xB fans, check out the very favorable overall review in the September issue of Car and Driver.

~alpha
    This car is getting people to switch from their Hummer H1s into these things.
  • roomanrooman Member Posts: 10
    Incidentally, I was tailgated by an H1 this morning. Gee, I thought, this guy was driving a school bus right behind me…

We currently own a 1st generation (smaller) Odyssey, but in a few years when our little ones get older, we don’t even need a minivan, xB will serve us just fine. Come to think of it, its only $15K or so. For the price of a loaded 4WD Sequoia, you can buy 3 xBs!

I sure wouldn't mind to see more competitors such as the Nissan Cube, especially the new e-4WD, coming here:

http://www.cardesignnews.com/news/2002/021012tokyo-nissan/

http://www.carbc.com/Car-Review-61.html
    They should make one in yellow, I think that's the H2's most popular color.

-juice
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I also enjoyed the article in Car and Driver.

The bad thing is that I cannot get one where I live on the opposite coastline.

Here is a entreprenurial tip, go buy a car-carrying trucks worth and bring them over here and sell them for a little markup.

We can do what the texas guy did, but then it would be ready for its first oil change when it got here.