Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• consult77consult77 Member Posts: 26
    If the $21,500 price includes shipping then it is about $600 under invoice and only a few dollars over invoice minus holdbacks, as far as I can tell. Is Acura providing dealer incentives that we haven't heard of? Anyway, great price!
  • passat_mxpassat_mx Member Posts: 32
    Hi gariettaf,

Congratulations on your new ride. Could you please confirm if these prices they quoted you included destination? Thanks!
  • gariettafgariettaf Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    The price did include the destination charge. Breakdown of the total cost:
    21500 car
    1777 sales tax
    209 government fees
    45 document prep fee

For a total of about 23531
    Hope this helps
  • medhamedha Member Posts: 4
    I live in the tri-state area and am looking for an automatic with cloth. I will be financing. Nothing more. Any ideas where I can get the best deal?
    I spoke with Clair and they wanted over $20. What's your secret?
    What a great price. Where from? Did you close the deal? Please give details on the car.
  • brandi20brandi20 Member Posts: 20
    i just leased a 2005 acura rsx. i thought that i got a great deal. i got it at crown acura of clearwater florida. i got a base rsx w/ leather and auto. i got the promotional lease (2500 down 199/month) but with the options it was 50$ more with tax. the sticker price is about 22,700. i leased it for 36 months/12k a year. i put exactly 2500 down and got 256/month w/ tax. the gap insurance was included. it was 246 but with my name on the deal it was about 10$ more (im 20). im soooo excited. i got a deal for 230 and i was going to take that but the residual was like 14000. the residual i got on mine is 12,400. so when all is done and said i am getting it for about 1500 under msrp which ill gladly take with a lease. i plan on paying cash for the car at the end of 3 years. im going to college so this should be a good car :) and i do LOVE IT!
  • maybersxmaybersx Member Posts: 2
    I just decided that I wanted to look at the RSX. I stopped by a dealer here in Western PA last night. He told me that they offer NO incentives, NO rebates, etc. It's just straight sticker price. ... I really like the look and everything that I've read about the RSX. But I'm not sure that I can justify the $400/month payment. From reading here it looks like you guys have been able to get some discounts, etc. So, was that salesman full-of-it? Can I get deals?

What's the best time to shop? Should I wait until end of a month? Somebody told me after late July is best?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    any salesman telling you Acuras are sticker-only sales is full of it. But that might have been one of those "no haggle dealers". If so, and they are not marking them down a little, go someplace else.

Around August, when the next model year is arriving, is a good time to shop. Although this year, there probably won't be any changes except colors, so it is not as good a year to gain advantage from that. The other great time of the year is right before New Years - they usually get money from the manufacturer based on how many they sell in the old calendar year. Month's end is better than month's beginning for shops that have quotas for the salespeople - they are getting desperate to meet quota for their bonus at the end of the month.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• maybersxmaybersx Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip.

Now I've got another question:

A friend of mine told me today that an Acura is nothing more than a Honda that you pay more money for. What's the advantage of getting an SRX over, say, a 2dr Honda?
  • brandi20brandi20 Member Posts: 20
    an acura basically is a glorified honda. but acuras are alot nicer. one look inside an acura and you will see the difference between honda and acura. you get more options, better quality and the acuras hold their value very well. i enjoy driving my RSX, i didnt really enjoy driving a civic.
  • bobbidbobbid Member Posts: 24
    Hello there! Just want to share my experience. Just picked up yesterday my new 2005 Acura RSX base model with cloth interior for $19695 (before tax and title). Do you think its a good deal? thanks.
    If you take the MSRP increase from model year '04 to '05 into account, that is pretty much the EXACT price I paid for mine in February '04! So, yes, I think it is pretty good. I figure I could have wheedled a couple hundred more $$ out of them, but it was lunchtime and I wanted to go eat. (note to self: never go car shopping near lunchtime!) :-)

Now if you got an automatic for that price, you did better than I did by a fair margin.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yes its an automatic trans. The salesperson said he's going to include the wheel lock, trunk tray, and splash guard whick I think it's come with the car. Or is it really additional accesories? Btw, the car is satin silver not my favorite color but its insurance friendly (light color). :)
    yeah, I got that stuff too. They are accessories (not standard) but I told my dealer he had to throw it in for free or remove it as I wouldn't take the car if I had to pay for it.

My sister's RSX is satin silver also! Her favorite color of the ones offered on this model.

nippononly, since i mentioned about the wheel lock, how did you install it? Are they (the Dealer) suppose to install it for me or I need to go to the tire shop and let them install it? :confuse:
    yeah, the dealer installed mine before I picked the car up. Anything they are charging you for should be installed when you get the car. If not, go back and have them do it.

• ca869ca869 Member Posts: 1
    I'm trying to decide between a new 2005 Acura RSX AT or 2005 RSX AT that was the dealer/demo car and has 7,400 miles on it. The latter has been certified and now has a 100,000 mile/7 year warranty and is listed for $19,000. Is that a good price (new and used are base and have no added options) or should I just go for the new car?
  • lanceflancef Member Posts: 8
    Wow! Very good listed price. If its listed for $19,000 that means you can get it for even less. I just bought a 2004 RSX base auto with spoiler for $17500 certified used; it was a service loaner with 13100 miles on the clock and am very happy with the deal. If its the right color for you I'd say go for it hard.

I was also looking to buy new but certified used warranty AND Acura financing at 3.9% for 60 months (available for Acura certified used vehicles) swung the decision for me.

I say shoot for $18500 and don't look back. Good luck.

PS: While at the dealer pick up several of the brochures for the 05. If you ever resell it really helps to show these to the prospective buyer. Also see if the dealer kept the window sticker; also known as the "Maroney" sticker. If not, have the dealer contact Acura of North America to get a copy and then forward to you. On mine I called Acura about getting one and was told only the person that it was originally titled to could request one and then there was a one year time limit to do that; I just got in under the gun (original title date was June 21, 04) on that. Luckily the dealer I bought from said no problem.
    I dunno, I think I have the opposite opinion from lancef. You are looking at MAYBE a $2000 price differential between the two. And you know every wannabe street racer has had that demo car up to redline while it was still stone cold, with the salesman egging them on and saying "YEAH! See how it just wants more?".

If you can swing the $2000, it is a better idea to go for the new one, I think. Now if you are pretty sure you will not keep the car past 100K anyway, then that is different. Save your money, cross your fingers, and lean on the certified warranty.

• cbnboy30cbnboy30 Member Posts: 1
    i paid 20,200 for my 2003 Rsx with 18,500 miles on it
  • afstudly_dudeafstudly_dude Member Posts: 7
    Hi nippononly, my parents are about to get me a brand new 05 RSX and I've been reading some of the RSX forum here on edmunds.com. While reading through tons of messages, I see that you probably have a lot of experience with the RSX.

I really dont know if its the best time to get one this June because the 06 are arriving this August. But if I'm getting the 05, it would be great if you could give me some tips or advise when negotiating with them for a cheaper price. And is it worth it to spend an extra $2K over the type s over the base model? The color I wanted is black and they have 3 of them instock (1base and 2type s). When I checked out the sticker price, it was $24 something. Is it worth it?
    I make no claim to being the RSX or car-buying expert, but given all the differences now between the base and type-S models, I would recommend the S.

Here's the downside:
    - it needs premium gas instead of regular, and mileage is lower
    - the handling is noticeably sharper and stiffer, and the base model is no slouch. This can lead to a hard ride - be sure you can live with it.
    - you've got to love to rev - the only place on the tach the S develops more power than the base model is above 4500 rpm. "Drive it like you stole it" isn't just an expression with the RSX-S.

The upsides are HUGE however:
    - 17" rims and sharp sharp handling, much sportier suspension than the base model
    - better stereo with the subwoofer (you really need it in this car)
    - 6 speeds instead of five - needed even in the base model
    - better resale, if that matters
    - MOST IMPORTANT: will NOT be upstaged by the 200 hp Civic SI coupe arriving at dealers in about 3 months. Even Civic EX's are going to have the base RSX's 160 hp for MY 2006.

Bargaining tips? I dunno, always go in prepared to walk. There are lots of dealers. Know your invoice price (Edmunds can help you there) when you go in and stick to it. The '05/'06 model turnover will not give you much leverage, as they just updated the model for '05 and I am sure they will be much the same car, so they probably will not discount the "old" one very much.

As great as RSX is, it is a slow seller, and dealers know it. Stick to invoice price and don't budge much. Some people try getting internet quotes ahead of time and play one dealer off another until they get the price they want. You might try that approach if you like it.

• rroyce10rroyce10 Member Posts: 9,332
    ... **As great as RSX is, it is a slow seller, and dealers know it.** ...

I don't think the proper word is "slow" .....

I would consider the word "sloooooooooow" .....

Terry.
    thank you so much terry! :-)

Slooooooow, then. Volume is below 20K a year now - RSX is almost Acura's slowest selling model except NSX. Bank on that for a better bargaining position.

• k_lasterk_laster Member Posts: 1
    Saturday I picked up a 2005 Acura RSX Type S for $21,582. Since you're on edmunds, you'll see that's 3$ over invoice. I absolutely love my RSX, and have already put 300+ miles on it. If you're anywhere in the midwest, I suggest going to Acura of Libertyville. It took me a little bit over an hour to walk out and get in my brand new Type S. No hassle car buying, and they say such a thing never existed!

My suggestion to anyone considering the RSX is, 1.) shop around, make dealers compete... they will if you play hardball with them, 2.) Get the Type S, if you do it right you can get a Type S for what some people are paying for base models and 3.) get a gooooooood radar detector, this car hauls!
  • christinersx_schristinersx_s Member Posts: 2
    I paid $15,000 for a Red Type S with 20,000k, spoiler, mint condition. I absolutely love it. What do you think of the price? Did I over pay?
    what year is it?

At $15K with those miles, no, I don't think you overpaid.

• wco81wco81 Member Posts: 590
    That's what they're going for?
  • inline4inline4 Member Posts: 2
    i thought as far as cars go (no SUV's-"MDX") the RSX/Integra as always been Acura's second best seller (good times and bad). That would put it above the RL and TSX, but behind the TL.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    20K is not bad for a 4 cylinder hatch based priced above 20K. 24 fully loaded with leather and what not but no auto avail.
  • inline4inline4 Member Posts: 2
    I thought as far as cars go (no SUV's-"MDX") the RSX/Integra as always been Acura's second best seller (good times and bad). That would put it above the RL and TSX, but behind the TL.
    Please correct me if I am wrong.
    20K is not bad for a 4 cylinder hatch based priced above 20K. 24 fully loaded with leather and what not but no auto avail.
    yup, Integra has traditionally been a stalwart in Acura's line-up. However, it was outsold last year by the TSX and I bet will be outsold this year by the RL. And you can't ignore the MDX, much as I would like to, because it is one of Acura's best sellers now, led (of course) by the TL.

The Integra is a great little car for what it is, but unfortunately it does not fit the Acura line-up all that well any more, and it is in a segment that continues to slow down year after year in sales. And while I would day "pshaw!" to 15-20K sales per year, and continue a great car model, it is looking increasingly likely that Honda will not, and this RSX will be the last Integra in the U.S. (unless they start to sell it in the U.S. as the Honda Integra after MY '07).

Id just bought a Base automatic transmission 05 RSX for $20,899 and somethings been bugging me alot lately. When I bought the car, my dad went with me to choose the car. I really wanted a standard but he didnt allow me to get it cause he said that I'm not a good standard driver when he havent even seen me drove one before. Thats not the point, the point is that I'm the one paying for the monthly payment and my mom is the one paying for the insurance and hes paying nothing. I mean, c'mon, whats the point of getting a sport coupe car when its not a standard? ya know. Right now, I'm planning on to save up some money and trade it in for a 05 black TYPE S, that is, if I can sell the car for $21K, that would be impossible. Does anyone know how I could sell it or know how much it would cost to trade it in? thanks.
  • bragotbragot Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

How long did you have to work to get a price that great? The invoice + destination states that it will be $22,149 for the car. Was there a special ongoing when you got this rate? The rates in Tustin Acura were $23154 for the car alone.

Thanks!
    The thing about selling your car used now is that it is worth a good $1000 less than the cheapest price someone could get a new one for. And don't trade it in, dealers don't want trades like that (well, they want them but they won't pay even close to what you want) and you will get a lot more money for it selling it privately.

Think about it, knowing that you got your brand new shiny car for $20,9, would you pay someone else $21,0 for their used one?

Try it out for a while, if you still hate it try to grit your teeth for as long as you can before you sell. You will almost certainly take a loss in the first year, whether it be some of your down payment if you made one, or being upside down in your loan if you did not.

• angelus1angelus1 Member Posts: 23
    I am looking to buy a new '05 RSX type S in houston, tx, I want to buy new. I am wondering what people in houston or in texas in general are paying for their RSX. I want to pay a OTD price of $22-23k. I would greatly appreciate any tips, suggestions or comments on the dealer in Houston. This will be my first new car and I really want a good deal. I'll put down either $4k or 8k depending if my parents help with the down payment. Thank you!
  • buksibuksi Member Posts: 4
    ...base model 5 sp w/Leather + mud guards and wheel locks in Magnesium ( I wanted blue but there wasn't one available in the whole state) for $21793 OTD. I feel the price is good, but my trade-in was dismal. I was hoping for a grand more but then again it's a Suzuki :mad: Anyway, I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'm expecting to have buyer's remorse for about ten seconds...
    $21793 OTD was your price after you traded in a suzuki?
    No, I meant the total price of the vehicle with tax, title, registration and fees.

Here is the transaction:

Total price w/options: 22,208
    Discount: 1470
    Trade-in allowance: 3,500 (No balance left on car)
    Tax: 862
    Transfer plate: 65
    Doc fee: 129
    Total contract price: 18,293

I also put 5,000 cash down so I'm financing 13,293. A little more than I was shooting for, but not bad.
    see I am looking to put down $4k and finance the rest over 5 years, I know thats long but I want my first new car to be a good one. Plus, I really do not like the new civics.

By the way what state did you buy your car in and also what month?
    Well, there wasnt any special deal going on. Me and my dad just walk in there and checked out the car and said, "19.5" and we'll take it. The sale guy pretended to walk in his manager office to ask him about it (laughing outside) then he came out and said, "I cant, but why dont you give me ur number and ill call u back". A few days later, he gave us a call and said he would sell it for $21k, then we were like nah...lower, then he offered us $20.8K so we were like yeah... we couldve dropped the price lower but we were in a rush so yeah.
    Massachusetts, and end of July.
    I'm financing over 60 months as well, but these plans are flexible. Originally I wanted to finance over 48 months but the 60 gives you more flexibility. You can always pay it off early (which I'm planning to do) and the extra money will be applied to the principal. The rates are also the same here for both terms.
    As far as your "first car to be a good one" you can't do much better than the RSX. First, I was looking at the Mazda3 but a few people talked me out of it. Less reliable, low resale value, and I had already dealt with that with the Suzuki.
    I also didn't want to be one of the millions of Civics out there. With the RSX you get the Civic in a much more appealing package.
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    Which dealer in Mass did you buy it from? Is it an AT?
    Thanks.
    Acura of Peabody. (I live in Salem, that was the closest dealership) And no, it's a 5sp, I wouldn't drive anything else! :shades:
    "Well, there wasnt any special deal going on. Me and my dad just walk in there and checked out the car and said, "19.5" and we'll take it. The sale guy pretended to walk in his manager office to ask him about it (laughing outside) then he came out and said, "I cant, but why dont you give me ur number and ill call u back". A few days later, he gave us a call and said he would sell it for $21k, then we were like nah...lower, then he offered us $20.8K so we were like yeah... we couldve dropped the price lower but we were in a rush so yeah."

You got a type s for $20k? What state was that in and also what time of the year did you buy it?
  • kozmokozmo Member Posts: 6
    I think that's a great price.

I JUST paid $14,997 for a pre-owned certified with 20k miles on it - they threw in bumper to bumper for 3 years, free oil changes for a year, beat my credit union's interest rate by 1.5% and gave me a full tank of gas..Thanks Big Valley Dodge (Van Nuys Blvd, Ca) :shades: :shades:
    how does"certified" work if you don't buy it from an Acura dealer? Will the Dodge dealer make all repairs under the certified warranty?

• hess3hess3 Member Posts: 1
    I just paid $20,296 (includes destination) for a 2005 Base model RSX with manual transmission, leather interior, trunk tray, splash guards, and wheel locks. KBB says the price range at this time of year starts around $20,500, so I think i did pretty well. Wondering what others think?
    Nice deal! :-)

Sweet. Hope you enjoy the car as much as I do.

• kozmokozmo Member Posts: 6
    trunk tray, splash guards, and leather? Not Bad..I'd be happy about that one.

I love my car....I took it to my local acura dealer cause my 2002 I just bought is still under warranty- they changed the front breaks for $220 and spun the rotors. I also had to replace a broken hatchback cover hinge, buy a plastic gas door opener latch by the driver seat (the one you pull up to open the gas door) and matts. The dealer I bought the car from paid for those items (close to $200) so I figured I about broke even (I got the deep pile rug mats).
    I realized the purchasing the car from Big Valley Dodge certified simply means that they did a 130 spot check (which I'm not convinced was that great due to the fact that it needed new front breaks - unless Acura Santa Monica pulled a fast one) but no, they won't be doing the repairs...I'll be bringing it to Santa Monica Acura. Oh yeah, the passenger side door doesn't respond to the keyless, inside, or door handle to lock or open..I have to manually unlock from inside, or outside with key and to open the door I have to open from outside only...until SM acura fixes it..which is still under warranty.

Overall - I need a better sound system cause I'm an audiophile, which I had more horsepower but this little car is by far the nicest car I've ever owned. My new addiction is to race on the freeways here in LA at night and I go out for 2 to 4 hours drives through the canyon's that last until somtimes 4am...it's fun to get your ya-ya's out with this car...just need to get an aftermarket sound system installed.
This discussion has been closed.