Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
edited March 2014 in Acura
Tell others what you paid for your RSX in discussion. And join us in our main Acura RSX (All Years/Types) discussion to discuss other Acura RSX subjects.

This is also a continuation of this archived Acura RSX pricing discussion. Hope this is helpful. Thanks for your participation!

Revka
Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

Comments

• revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Check out the Helpful Links, on the left side of the page, for direct access to other Acura RSX discussions throughout Town Hall. Happy posting!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • primera_gteprimera_gte Member Posts: 7
    no haggle at acura pasadena in ca.

satin silver
    leather
    auto
  • michiganmanmichiganman Member Posts: 65
    Brought in Edmunds printouts, and paid exactly TMV with very little hassle, in the Chicago area. Thanks Edmunds!!!
  • napapacodanapapacoda Member Posts: 42
    Revka - Thanks for bringing this board back. I Think even if it does not get daily action, it serves a great purpose and should be available for any car/model on edmunds forums. On a side note, here is a link to Turnersville Auto in NJ. He has special prices on Acuras, Hondas and I think a few other brands as well. Last time I checked he was offering the RSX Type S and RSX base model at $1 over invoice.

http://www.turnersvilleauto.com/specials.htm

are there any other additional fees. processing, advertising, etc? or is the only other cost, registration and tax?
  • beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    I remember perusing that Web site when I was in the market (spring 2002). I wound up getting my Type-S from Sussman Acura b/c he was able to beat the then-price, give me a better trade-in value, and was much friendlier to deal with than the slimes at Turnersville.

But some of Turnersville Acura's prices are noteworthy:

2003 RSX MT $18,716
    2003 RSX AT $19,535
    2003 RSX MT Type S $21,716

This price (although off topic), shocked me:
    2002 S2000 $1 over Invoice

And as usual, their domestic cars are well *under* invoice - by up to $3,500! But still not enough, IMO, to jettison the Japanese cars.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,382
    I happened to be checking prices on a Honda with the Internet person at a local (NJ) dealer, and happened to notice the RSX prices. Base 5-speed, $18,712, Type S stick, $21,712. I think the base AT was about $500-600 more than the stick. Don't really know what this is related to invoice, but must be pretty close to it.

I posted this on the other thread, before coming here, but it is at Turnersville (link above). I may have been off by $5, since I did it from memory.

I have dealt with them a number of times, and been very pleased (as have a number of people I sent over), certainly no slime. You can also call: 1-888-252-7742 (ask for Carolyn - tell her John from Voorhees sent you ).

I noticed the S2000 also, but I'm willing to bet whatever they have left has quite a few add ons, but it doesn't hurt to check, since invoice is only about 28K on that car.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• beowulf7beowulf7 Member Posts: 290
    I just posted a question in the RSX forum about the price you were quoting. You can ignore it there and we can discuss pricing here, since it's more appropriate here.

I'm just recalling my experience w/ the Turnersville Acura from this past April and May. First, the salesman tells me he has 3 RSX-S in stock, but then I go there and he basically says "sorry, we must have been mistaken". (Never mind that the place is a good 30-35 min. drive away.)

Then he called me up saying another one came in. So I went in that night after work. And he said "sorry, it just got sold". Then I finally came in a 3rd time, they had the RSX-S, and we started discussing pricing. He wasn't giving me a fair offer on my trade-in (Integra), so after an hour of going back and forth w/ him and the manager, I left.

That was on a Fri. night. He warned me that an desert silver RSX-S will fly like hotcakes that Sat., and that if I don't act now, that car will be gone by Mon. I took my chance. Then he called me at work on Mon. saying that car is still available, and that he wanted me to come in to discuss prices. I said I might come in if you give me $X on the trade-in. He said "Let me ask my manager and I'll call you right back."

I never heard from him until 2 weeks later. By that time, I already got my car from Sussman Acura, who treated me MUCH better (I previously got the Integra from him), so I was very satisfied there. So when the Turnersville guy called, I let him know the difference in experience I had between the 2 dealerships.

Phew, I'm still a little agitated w/ Turnersville, apparently. :(
    Well, my experience was different. But, I went through the internet department. They set the price, and will deal with finding out about availability, and can put a hold on it when they set up an appointment for you (to a specific contact). Just got another email today with January specials, still doing $18,716 (base) and $21,716 (S).

As also, buy what you want, where you are comfortable, but the particular saleman you are dealing with can make a big difference, and dealers change over time.

• mrguitarmrguitar Member Posts: 1
    With all this talk of Tunersville and Sussman, I feel a little left out, as I am in southern California, and I can't find any deals like these NJ dealers.

Anyone know if it's worth the time and money to purchase from one of these dealers and ship it out to cali?

Thanks,

Ed
    Not that hard to do, assuming the dealer will coordinate with the shipping company, but you will be adding quite a bit of money (at least $600 -700). Hard to imagine you could save enough to make it worthwhile. Maybe trying something closer (Nevada, or a more remote part of CA) would work better, since you could drive it home.

post # 3 lists where i bought my car.
    acura pasadena
    200 over invoice
    no haggle
    45 processing fee
    in and out in 1 hr.

satin silver
    black leather auto
  • viki2jviki2j Member Posts: 1
    I got mine thought AAA purchasing program. 2003 RSX AT, leather, truck tray, wheel locks for 22600 (out the door price) at Hopkins Acura in Redwood city, CA.
  • sts_pasts_pa Member Posts: 2
    I just got a 2003 RSX-S with the rear spoiler for $22,248 with no hidden fees. There was almost no haggling and the whole process was exceptionally pain free.
    If your in the Philly area, I highly recommend West Chester Acura.
    and congrats on your new 2003 RSX! Thanks for sharing your purchase details. You may also want to check out our main Acura RSX (All years/types) discussion where you can share notes with other owners and enthusiasts. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Host
  • silverrsxs1silverrsxs1 Member Posts: 27
    I paid $21,500 + $200 "service" fee (whatever) + tax, tags and title for my Satin Silver RSX-S. I was lucky to have eight Acura dealers within a 40-mile radius so that I could get offers and counter offers.

I sent e-mail to all eight Internet managers saying that I was prepared to buy and would be taking the best offer on my first choice color (Arctic Blue Pearl). A dealer about 30 miles away from me offered the best price (about $22,300 I think) so I went out there to do a final test-drive (I had already driven an RSX-S once during my preliminary shopping).

The Internet manager was up-front, friendly and helpful, but they didn't have the car I wanted in stock. I waited for several days for them to find one, but in the meantime the hard-sell dealer closer to me (about 8 miles away) called and said they had three satin-silver RSX-Ss on the lot and I could have my pick for $21,500 (I had previously told them that I was buying from another, nicer dealer farther away for $22,000, which was a bit of a lie, but oh well).

If you're willing to work the game a little bit, you should be able to get an excellent price, particularly in this economy.
    Due to speculated demand, this discussion has been moved back from our Archived discussions and reopened. Let's see how it goes this time around.... Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host/Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • volcom378volcom378 Member Posts: 16
    I just need a simple yes or no answer. RSX Type-S Chrome wheels, Black on black, 22,000. good deal? should i get it?
  • unagidonunagidon Member Posts: 20
    I know this may be somewhat irrelevant because I'm in Canada and most of you are in the US, but just for peoples reference, I was able to purchase a brand new 2002 RSX base (last month) with leather and IMO a tacky titanium kit for 10% off the MSRP. It had 6 km (or approx. 4 miles) on it when I took it off the lot.

MSRP in Canada is: C$ 27,000 + approx. $1,300 in PDI, air conditioning taxes, service fees, etc + 15% tax. And I paid C$ 24,300 + tax. Hopefully, whoever is planning on making a purchase can do better!
  • zenzikorazenzikora Member Posts: 64
    I don't know about the Type-S, but I now have two separate dealers from whom I can purchase a base at invoice price exactly (+destination) at $18715. One offered me that at first quote, and when I told the other, which is closer and where I test-drove, he dropped his quote to match. He also has been working out monthly payments, and offering me warranty upgrades and working those payments. Very nice. I still have to wait a bit though to see if my horse is going to sell.
    I would try to see if you can get a Type-S at invoice as well, as it wasn't that hard to get the base down to it, at least in my area (Southeast Pennsylvania).
  • dtran2149dtran2149 Member Posts: 81
    Just as a price point, Goodson Acura in Dallas continually offers their '02 RSX's that were used as loaners for service customers at $16.9 k starting offer up to $17.6 k. Generally they have about 10-25 k miles and are all automatic transmissions. At any time, they have about 5-7 cars all at that pricing range so it's a good proxy - I think you should have plenty of negotiation room and be able to get it down to $15.5-16 k or so if interested. I never called them and talked about it, but there may be additional perks/freebies as well by buying that way.
  • zzz137zzz137 Member Posts: 1
    Got a quote from Goodson at $20,523, which is $10 over invoice. Is it a good price? Has anyone bought below invoice recently? I am thinking to take this offer while asking for a free warranty upgrade.

BTW, Acura is running 2.9% special APR now. So, I think it is a good timing to buy...
  • unagidonunagidon Member Posts: 20
    a brand new, 2002 RSX Type-S with spoiler and rust proofing for C$ 28,600 + 15% government taxes. MSRP for 2003 RSX Type-S is $31,300 + Freight/PDI + about 16% taxes (15% government sales tax + air conditioning tax, etc.) Yes, Canada's tax system really sucks!

In simple terms, bought the 2002 Type S for 91.4% of 2003 list price, with spoiler and rust proofing thrown in.
    and thanks for sharing the pricing details. We look forward to hearing more about your RSX experience....

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • ajhjajhj Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone recommend a Chicago Acura dealer? I'm looking for a 2003 RSX type-S.

Thanks!
  • il_rsxil_rsx Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased the RSX type S for 300 under invoice with a spoiler. out the door in 23,500. It was an end of the month deal on ALL RSX models, and yes i was skeptical. but i went over there checked it all out, and it was fine. no gimmicks. i think ed napleton's acura is in a bad location, and from discussion with other people, they don't do as much business as other dealers. i went to another dealer where we purchased our TL and they said the best they could do was 800 over. I sent an email to various dealers thru carsdirect.com and got a reply from ed napleton's for 300 under. picked up the car today at noon.

You can definitely get this car at invoice, and don't stop until you do.
    and thanks for sharing what you paid!

Here are a couple other RSX discussions you may find interesting: Acura RSX (All years/types) and Acura RSX -Maintenance, Problems & Solutions. We look forward to hearing about your ownership experience. Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • vickatvickat Member Posts: 43
    Hi all,
    Just got a quote here in NYC area, on RSX base w/auto, $19,199 plus tax and tags. Whadda ya say? Is it good enough? Thanks for the advise - vic
  • noredtodaynoredtoday Member Posts: 4
    Hi

I am also looking at the RSX in NYC, can you tell me the dealer.
    Also did you purchase the car.

Can you tell me about it.
    my email is [email protected]
  • pveravanichpveravanich Member Posts: 4
    I believe the 2.9% financing is now available for RSXs. Does anyone know what type of FICO score is required to qualify for the special rate?
    As mentioned above: "You may include the dealership name and city/state where you purchased, but NO direct links to the dealership site. Please do not post salespeople names, phone numbers or email contact information."

To those concerned: Please check your email. We invite you to edit your message and post it back into this discussion. Also, feel free to email me if you have any question/comments regarding this matter. Please do not address this matter with me here. Thanks!

And now, back to the subject of Acura RSX: Prices Paid & Buying Experience.

Revka
    Host
  • edberg_dcedberg_dc Member Posts: 23
    Ok, I was one of those people and I apolgize, I wasn't trying to sell the guy, just to help. I am not in the business of helping car salesmen believe me. :)

Anyways, I believe for most great rates, a score of 740-750 is required. Above 700 you have a shot. My score was 720ish and I got a great rate for a used RSX.

I bought a 2002 Acura RSX Type S, DSM, with fog lights already installed, and sunroof visor (which I hate and is coming off this week) for $20,100 at Heritage AutoPlaza in Alexandria, VA. I wanted to get them down to about $19,500, but they gave me $2500 for my 94 Accord EX manual, cloth, some body rust, so I was happy with that. I was expecting about $2K for the Accord, so it balanced out. They were nice, I mean you had to negotiate (they wanted $20988 to start) but it worked out fine.

In terms of new Acura dealers, a friend just bought a silver RSX automatic from the dealership in Gaithersburg which gave him a really good deal, it was under $19K, something like $18700. They had to move the RSX's in order to get more TSX's... so they were willing to deal and were extremely nice. Do not go to Acura in Chantilly or Falls Church, they were rude and wouldn't even let me test drive a TSX unless I was willing to put down a deposit. Anyways, hope this helps someone. I am going to post my RSX impressions on the other board...
    Hi edberg_dc - Thanks for re-posting! Also, good notes; people have a better understanding of the real price when you also include the trade-in allowance/details....

I look forward to hearing more about your RSX impressions in the other RSX discussion. In case you weren't aware, you'll find a direct link to that discussion in the Helpful Links on the left side of this page. See you around Town Hall! ;-)

Revka
  • kerrydkerryd Member Posts: 3
    I got my, auto, desert silver RSX w/ leather and a spoiler in March for 20,700 in N. NJ. I was able to bounce around from dealer to dealer and received a few internet quotes before settled on the closest dealer.

If anyone has gotten any good deals lately let me know. My friend is in the market for one.

BTW I know the financing is really good now, but if you need a little leverage say you got approved for one of those on-line loans w/ the low interest rate. The dealership said that they would give me 4.9%, but when I called back they said they could only get me a 5.5%. Baloney! So I applied got a 4.49% from Peoples First (4.99% if payment is not debited from your bank account). I had no intention of using it to get a lower rate but when I called to make sure that they would take the blank check, I was conveniently approved for a 4.18% w/o getting the payment directly debited from my checking.
  • goldidgoldid Member Posts: 1
    Paid 20,410 for a base 2003 RSX. Eternal Blue Pearl with Ebony leather interior. Mud flaps and pin striping were my two extras they had. I felt good about it since I couldn't shop around--only one Acura dealer in New Mexico. Enjoyed them.
  • freddyc2freddyc2 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '03 DSM, base auto w/leather for 21k (invoice 20500) I didn't haggle too much since they gave me more than Toyota would for my Toyota trade and they gave my the 2.9% financing. They pulled my FICO as 626, by the way, so it appears that you don't always have to have 750 just to get the low apr. All in all, I am satisfied with my Acura experience. Worked with the internet manager at Bloomington Acura, in Minneapolis, MN, he is a good guy.
  • integrambaintegramba Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I currently own an Integra LS95 with 134K; absolutely love the car. I am shopping around for used RSXs but they seemed to be totally overpriced. It might be that the supply of used RSXs here in austin Texas is low but I know for sure that the new ones are not selling very fast...I've negotiated with a couple of dealers using Edmunds.com TMV (great info thanks!) but could not reach a deal; FYI MCDavid Acura listed a couple of base 2002 RSXs (22K) for $18.9, which had been 35 and 108 days sitting in their lots. The sales rep lower his price to $16.7 without any drama but I did not like the auto tranny.
    Any insights on what used 2002 RSXs should really be? thnks
  • edberg_dcedberg_dc Member Posts: 23
    freddyc2,

Ultimately it's up to the credit/finance manager of the shop for most places (some places have no control) to approve loans and rates. Sounds like you got a great deal with that score, I was panicking because I was just above 700. A friend got the 1.9% at VW for a recent Passat buy, and the finance manager informed him that credit scores around 750 or above were required for that... also if you look in eloan's website, they give credit ranges for the interest rates. I ended up getting 4.79% at peoplefirst (soon to be capitol one autofinance) for my used 02 RSX-S and am very happy with them.

Also, they are trying to move RSX's big time this year to make way for more TSX's.
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I have a friend who is ready to 'pull the trigger' on an RSX (base, probably automatic and cloth). He'll likely finance at least part (probably about half) of the purchase price, and his credit is excellent (don't know his FICO or anything, but I've known him over ten years). Wondering what a good price is for this car, and about any financing deals available. Thanks in advance for any advice/leads.
  • wever1wever1 Member Posts: 3
    I spent > 4 hours at Montclair Acura on a Sat afternoon late last month. They were easy to deal with. The sales associate let me drive everything solo - which I presumed was due to the ninety-odd degree temp & even hotter interiors. Anyway, I drove an auto/leather for twenty-five minutes, stick/cloth for 20 min (swung bye home to show G/friend & drove her back to the dealer). Next was to be the Type-S, but after almost 1/2 hour of waiting for another "tester" to come back I had to get said girlfriend back to walk our dog. Sorry so long. So the sales mgr gives me his demo to rush her back, just a late model maroon (ruby?) Vette sans targa-top. I shoulda bought that. Next was the Type-S which I also ended picking up the girlfriend with. Summary on driving experiences: the base auto was nice, but slow off the line and it wouldn't get out of its own way when accelerating in 5th at highway speeds - you really have to floor it! But the manumatic helped and was pretty fun. The S was too rough for where I drive, I mean this thing was choppier than the wave pool at Action Park (Mountain Creek), seriously, my girlfriend wanted to puke (maybe I'll trade in if she ever gets chubby - kidding). Plus the S's power delivery was lousy until 6k and then the powerband explosion was less than expected and soon over at 7800 RPM. Maybe that car was a dud or needed breaking in (it had 75 miles on it). Now Mon morning for 1.5hr - these guys surely told their wives about me(my girl concurred). After deliberating over the auto/leather I decided on my favorite - the stick/cloth (blk/blk). This had excellent, linear power delivery with a tolerable ride. PRICES: I leased so... with $1295.00 down: auto/leather $259/month * 47 (down payment includes 1st month), Type-S was the same ( the mgr wanted to unload all RSX's), my stick/cloth is $237.00 per month with a $9k residual. I also have a rear spoiler and got free wheel locks because of a bird poop/tree sap issue, but thats another story... Oh yea, incidentally I drove all models normally to aggressively on side roads (given traffic and conditions) & aggressively on 280 (up to 90) and real hard through on and off ramps :) ... Yea, I did take the sales guy out on Monday & scared him a bit...
    Maybe I am being nice cause I did have to return to get the poop/sap stains out ( which took 3 attempts in two days while I drove a rental Suburban - nice, powerful Arctic-cold A/C) and they had me sign paperwork with the wrong VIN# on it and now my insurance just sent me a notice about that, MAN! - my sales guy told me that the car has xenon headlights (nope), and instead of giving me the clean, poop-free car fresh off the truck on Mon, he gave me a two-week old poop/sap model (he said it was 5 days old, but I checked the svc book - WHY LIE MAN?) plus, I don't care, but he said if my radio was stolen that a new one is $1500.00. Please, I had Premier, PPI, and JL's in my 01' Explorer... I can't wait to change the anemic radio. Anyway, they were nice to deal with. Sorry-so-long.
  • henrypeckhenrypeck Member Posts: 3
    Acura of Milford (CT) tried to pack my RSX with everything on the showroom floor. They pushed Lojack, silicone coatings, undercoating, glass etching, etc. I got a base RSX (5M) with leather for $21,800 including all taxes and dealer fees. Not the best price in the world, but acceptable.
  • snorin23snorin23 Member Posts: 1
    Got what I think was a good deal on a RSX Type-S at a dealer outside of philadelphia. Did some internet pricing during the month of August and got a price for $21500 (about 200 under invoice). No pressure to add any additional features, and was out the door under 23 grand and took less than 2 hrs. Very pleased.
  • shreddedshoeshreddedshoe Member Posts: 34
    I got my base RSX, auto, cloth, no extras, back in January for $21167 out the door. Good experience, less than two hours.
    Anyone know where I can find a base, automatic, SILVER w/black leather '03 RSX in the Chicago area? The dealer my friend is 'working with' has only one automatic w/leather (black). He claims he won't have any '04s for about four weeks, which won't work because my friends old car (an '89 Civic hatch!) is dead. I find it hard to believe that if the dealer sells his one remaining '03 that he's SOL for a month. What gives?
  • cguacgua Member Posts: 7
    This past Saturday, I went with my mother from NY to NJ pick up her new 2003 Acura RSX, auto, leather, in Redondo Red Pearl, from Bridgewater Acura (Route 22 in NJ).

I negotiated a selling price of $20,100 (incl destination), approx $400 under invoice.

No additional fees, except $50 for a 20-day transit tag, and $179 for the 2-year NYS registration fee, which included the dealer paperwork and messenger involved in getting the NYS plates. Of course, we had to pay NYS sales tax, but I am not including that in the above for ease of comparison.

We were also able to take advantage of the current 2.9% AHFC financing on RSX models through 9-30-2003 (does not include S-type).

The internet sales staff and the finance guy were great, no pressure at all and a pleasure to work with. Well worth the trip from NY.

Prior to acquiring the RSX, my mother drove a 6-year-old silver Integra; now this 58-year-old woman can continue skewing the Intergra/RSX demographics with her new purchase.
  • pohsybpohsyb Member Posts: 11
    Just bought a 2004 RSX from Stevens Creek Acura in San Jose for $19650 (including dest), $100 over invoice.

The salesman quoted me numbers in an email offering $500 over invoice, but I think he miscalculated a bit. When I compared the final numbers with the F&I manager, I noticed the difference and produced a copy of the email. He did honor the quoted price though (saving me $400).

Insane California tax/title/fees, plus a theft insurance etching ($300). My last car was robbed so I figured it might be worth it. Put me at $22,000 OTD.

The salesperson was friendly and easy to talk to, low pressure. The F&I guy tried briefly to sell me carpet protection/lojack/extended warranty/etc, but didn't press the issue when I declined. Overall time spent at the dealer was 3 hours.

This is my first new car purchase ever, I really enjoyed it.
  • catzmeowcatzmeow Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2003 "Firepepper Red Pearl" RSX-S from an Acura dealership in VA Beach, VA. Was quoted $305 a month for 48 mos (plus trade-in) & was handed the keys. Then, in signing papers with the finance person, noticed that I would still owe $11K after the 48 mos! The sales guy NEVER said a word about any balloon or lease type arrangement. After some serious haggling with the sales manager, was able to make a negotiation, but still feel not having been advised of the balloon payment was not a mistake & felt very misled. The other disturbing thing is that the transaction in the finance manager's office was being webcammed! Has anyone ever heard or experienced this? Bottom line is that I am happy with my Sweeeeet new car, but it sure was a stressful, unpleasant buying experience. Would love to hear others' thoughts, opinions.
    Don't mean to sound 'snarky', but exactly how did you think you were going to swing a ~$24k car for $305 a month without there being some sort of 'catch' (whether it's a lease, balloon, $10k down, 84 month term), short of magic?

I think it's wise to figure out a 'target price' of the CAR (not the payment) and then figure out what you should realistically expect to pay per month (based on your down payment, credit terms) before you even walk in the dealership. ~$300 a month is a nice payment, but just isn't 'doable' on most cars any more.
  • av10sguyav10sguy Member Posts: 5
    I found a Acura RSX 2002 with 10K miles on it for only 12,995, now the catch, it was in a thieft, the thief took the wheels, rims, and the seats. The recovery company inspected the car and replaced the wheels, rims and seats to all factory ones from Acura. I am looking for a newer car, shold i go for this one???
    the price is certainly 'right', but you'd better do a little checking around first, to wit:

1. Call your insurance company and see if they will even insure a theft-recovered car (many will not insure those or reconditioned cars of any ilk);

2. Run a CarFax on it, naturally, to see if anything else pops up;

3. Have an Acura mechanic thoroughly check out the car mechanically, physically, and to make sure the work the insurance company performed is 'up to snuff', and also to find out what parts of the car will NOT fall under the factory warranty.

Personally, I'd probably find a 'lesser' car with a nicer history if I wanted something newish for $13k.
This discussion has been closed.