Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Hello bedi. Acura basically continued the special lease program that it was providing on the 2006 RSX in October through the end of November. The specifics of the program are a little different, it lowered its special lease money factor a little bit to make up for a drop in this car's residual values, but the lease payments that result from it should be about the same. The special finance rates that you mentioned are a limited time, regional program that I do not expect to be extended.

Car_man
    Host
    Smart Shopper / Prices Paid Forums
  • pocaripocari Member Posts: 3
    Are there any special offers for leasing a 2006 RSX Type-S? I am looking in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. I'd like to get some guidance on residuals (36/39/42 month, 15k/year) and cost of finance.

Thanks!
  • brian5054brian5054 Member Posts: 4
    I'm considering a lease on an RSX-Type S with the following parameters. Is this a good deal? How much better do you think I can do?

Term: 36 months
    Sticker + Destination: $24460
    Discount: $500
    Total vehicle cost: 23960
    Residual Value: 14676
    Money Factor: 0.0009
    Sales tax: $1497 (0.0625)
    12,000 miles per year
    Houston, TX Area.
    Monthly Payment: $360
    Due at signing $360.

Thanks for your feedback...
    I'm considering a lease on an RSX-Type S with the following parameters. Is this a good deal?

Term: 36 months
    Sticker + Destination: $24460
    Discount: $500
    Total vehicle cost: 23960
    Residual Value: 14676
    Money Factor: 0.0009
    Sales tax: $1497 (0.0625)
    12,000 miles per year
    Houston, TX Area.
    Monthly Payment: $360
    Due at signing $360.

Thanks for your feedback...
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    no lease expert or anything, but I would say that with the prices these cars are going for now, you could go in with $1000 or so and BUY the car for this payment on a 5-year loan, have probably $3-4K in equity in it when you sell it at three years, and have the advantages of owning it in the meantime to boot. This way you will have zero equity in it after three years, because it is unlikely (to say the least) that it will be worth more than $14,6 after three years. So, $3K in your pocket in 2008, or signing up for a new lease and $0 in your pocket?

Yes, the lease is a little cheaper to get into than the purchase would be. And either way you are not getting ripped off.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Thanks for the alternative possibility. I'll check out the 5 year loan option. It may work out better for me.
  • dridmangdridmang Member Posts: 10
    bougth a 2006 rsx type s about a month ago at mike harveys acura in burlingame near south san francisco. paid 27,500 after taxes. this was before i found this site. the sales person was a female but could not remember her name. i now realized that she lied to me in order to make the sale. i told her that this was my first time purchasing a vehicle and she used my naiveness to take advantage. she said that i was only paying 500 over invoice, but now that i think about it, i think i problably paid more than 2500 over invoice. she also tricked me into buying acura's extended warranty for 2500 dollars. she said it only cost 2000, but after i went home and looked through the paper work, i was actually charged 2500 for the warranty. she also told me that insurance for this vehicle is very cheap for this vehicle,she said that it would only cost 150 dollars a month for full coverage. i am now paying 500 dollars a month. i have a clean driving record with over four years of experience. it seems like this dealership is very manipulative and will even lie to you in order to make a sale. if you are thinking of buying a car in the bay area, i highly advise that you do not buy any of your vehicles from mike harvey acura in burlingame because of their manipulative sales people.
    Whoa! So sorry to hear you had such a hard time with the buying process! :-(

You aren't really paying $500/month (= $6000 per year) for insurance, are you?

And it sounds like if $2500 of that $27500 was the warranty you bought (which you are correct about - that was a rip-off), then at least you bought the car below sticker, maybe as much as $1500 below sticker, so at least you didn't get ripped off there. You could have got them lower, but not a whole ton (I am sure they would have sold at invoice if you had stuck to your guns).

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• angelus1angelus1 Member Posts: 23
    dude telling them you are a first time buyer was your first mistake. second mistake was not reading the paper work and not doing your homework. live and learn
    well i did some insurance shopping and the lowest rate i got is 320 a month with allstate. the acura care extended warranty was $2000, but they also charged me an extra $595 for an aquisition fee. not too sure what that is. both of the fees were under "optional service contracts" on the receipt. i guess i did jumped the gun a little bit with this car purchase. my excitement for the type s got the best of me. maybe i should have gotten the base model. but i have to admit that the type s is one sweet car.
    actually i am only paying 280 per month for insurance with allstate. the reason it was 500 a month was because farmers insurance charges a really high premium for some reason. the only thing i really hated about my buying experience were the dishonest sales people at the dealership. i guess i should have expected that some people can get really desperate enough to lie in order to make a sale.
    in this day and age that should be your presumption when you walk through the door: that they will lie through their teeth to make a sale at the most advantage to them.

And of course, there are some salespeople out there who are honest, ethical, upstanding citizens, and I have no wish to offend them, but the group viewed as a whole is a bunch of sharks.

As for insurance, I was paying $1285 per year for my RSX and thought it was unacceptably high. $3360 per year would have been out of the question. Still, you got a great car at a decent price, with a long warranty, so forget the financial stuff and enjoy it to the max! :-)

• gearyblvdgearyblvd Member Posts: 2
    WOW Dridmang, I too just had an unfortunate experience at Mike Harveys Acura.

This happened within the last week. I purchased an RSX Type S, the sale and everything went really well. A couple of days later, the sales lady calls me and tell me that my lease did not get approved so I had to return the vehicle to the dealership. The sales lady told me that I would get my down payment back so I wasn't very worried. I was a little disapointed but not too surprise given that my credit is fairly new. My other option was to finance the vehicle, but I just needed another month to save up some money, and I would have came back to purchase the vehicle.

Two days after I returned the vehicle, the sales lady calls me up and tells me that we have a problem. I drive down to the dealership and they tell me that the vehicle could not be rolled back and that my only choice were to keep the vehicle or get the base model. I told her that I needed another month to save up for the down payment, but the sales lady told me that I had no choice, "either I purchase a vehicle NOW or I take back that Type S" :confuse: .

I kind of figured what she was trying to do becuase it was very close to the end of the month. So I didn't believe her. They also sold the vehicle that I returned at the same time the saleslady was telling me that I had no choice but to keep the vehicle or take another one. (not cool :mad: )

Suffice it to say, I will still get an RSX, but not from Mike Harvey Acura. :sick:
    Yes, pocari, Acura is running a special lease program on the 2006 RSX right now. If you were to lease a 2006 Acura RSX Type-S through Honda Finance right now for 36 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 58%, respectively. The numbers for a 39 or 42 month lease of this car should be .00080 and 55%.

Car_man
    Host
    Hi brian5054. The lease money factor that you were quoted is in line with Acura's special lease money factor for this car. That is a good sign. I just estimated what this car's lease payment should be using Acura's current lease program and came up with a zero down, pre-tax monthly payment of around $293. If you were to add the $1,497 sales tax to this car's capitalized cost, it would bring the monthly payment to $336. As you can see, the payment that you were quoted is a little higher than this. If I was in your situation, I would want the dealer to explain to me why this is the case. Also, I don't know what the supply of RSX Type-S models is like out there, but $500 is not much of a discount on a car that has a spread of over $2,000 between its full MSRP and dealer invoice prices.

Car_man
    Host
  • gearyblvdgearyblvd Member Posts: 2
    on a 2.9% APR, if translated to lease money factor, what is that amount be if translated in money factor? is the lease money factor somewhere around 0.0009 or something?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Divide by 2400....

2.9% / 2400 = .0012 approx.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Hi Car_man, Thanks for the reply. My payment of $358 vs your calculated pmt of ~$336 amounts to a difference of about $22*36=$792. ~$200 of this is Title, License, Inspection etc... All legit costs, I believe. The dealer also stated that there was a $595 "origination" fee. I don't know how standard this fee is but I accepted it and took the deal. They also threw in free oil changes for two years. I feel fairly comfortable about this deal, even with the low MSRP discount of $500, since I shopped around at two other area Acura dealers and they could not match the deal. I think these cars are pretty sparse in my area since I've been driving the car for awhile now and have not seen a single one on the road other than mine. It is fun to drive...
  • seatacseatac Member Posts: 1
    I leased an RSX 5M w/ leather @ Vandergriff Acura (Van Tuyl). They use the 4 square sales method - trying to negotiate on pmts - but I stayed on vehicle price (forcibly) ;) . Basically the agreed upon price somehow changed on the contract - I caught the "error" and the F&I mgr took over to fix :blush: it. Essentially the pmt went from $386 to $266 when done right. Totally loaded up the back-end! So here is the deal not a great deal but the market is tight here so I feel pretty good about it.

Gross Cap - $23529.25
    Adj cap after trade and dwn pmt $20471.26
    Rent charge 1049.9
    Residual $11928.60
    Term 36 mos 15k mi. Pmt $266
  • giovanazzigiovanazzi Member Posts: 1
    Dude i got as 2002 Types and i only pay 206 a month with ahorrible record look around
  • rws0131rws0131 Member Posts: 27
    Car_man,

Would you please be able to tell me the money factor and residuals for the Acura RSX Type-S for 24 months and 12,000 miles and 15,000 miles respectively???

Thanks,

RWS
  • redacrredacr Member Posts: 24
    hey dridmang...
    all extended warranties can be cancelled.
    in fact, if its thru honda..u'll get a full refund if done before 30 days.
    that saleslady will have her commission charged back the following month lol happy new year ;)
    dont waste time...
    if i recall, u have to get the cancellation form from the dealer or just call honda directly.

keep us posted
  • redacrredacr Member Posts: 24
    btw...if not cancelled within a month.. the refund will be
    pro rated anyways so u'll get all of your money back ;)
    Hi everyone. I've been away on vacation for a little while. I'm going to answer any questions that have been posted over the past couple of days. I would appreciate it if anyone who has an older question than than that they would still like to have answered would post it again. Thanks and Happy Holidays.

Car_man
    Host
    I would be happy to help you out, rws0131. According to the latest information that I have seen, if you were to lease a 2006 Acura RSX Type-S through Honda Finance for 24 months with 15,000 miles per year, its buy rate lease money factor and residual value should be .00080 and 65%, respectively. The 12,000 miles per year residual value would be 1% higher. This money factor assumes that you qualify for Honda Finance's top credit tier and pay a security deposit.

Car_man
    Host
    Are those numbers the same for a regular, non type-s automatic????
    Car_man,

Today I was quoted these residuals and money factors for the RSX 3-Door Automatic: Money factor=.00086 for 24 or 36 months. Residuals: 24 Month/12k= 63% 36 Month/12k= 56%
    Are these the proper numbers? (This is with my top tier credit score) and paying a security deposit.

RWS
    Hi rws0131. Acura's special lease money factor is the same for both the regular and Type-S RSX, .00086, but its residual values for a 24 month, 15,000 mile per year lease are 2% lower for the regular model (62% versus 64%).

Car_man
    Host
    Yep, rws0131, these numbers are right on the money. It sounds as though you are dealing with a straightforward dealer.

Car_man
    Host
  • juicymoosejuicymoose Member Posts: 22
    I recently made an offer to all Acura dealers in the Seattle area. I live about 2 1/2 hours from the closest dealer so I figured my time was best spent making a deal via email. One dealer replied w/in 1hour of my sending the email. Only one other dealer replied and he still won't give me a straight answer. See ya.

I asked for the base model w/ leather and no options. I got $21,200 before taxes and a doc fee of $35. It is a few hundred below the TMV for that vehicle so I figured I got a decent deal.

When I got to the dealer, he had accidently deleted the email. Which was typical. In any event, I made copies of both my offer to him specifically and his reply.

I wanted on of two colors and they said those colors were very hard to find. I might wait a month or two. Being that I work on a ship that doesn't really make much difference to me so I said fine. They kept insisting I chose another color. I'm not sure if they were lying about the fact the particular color was not available so they could get me to buy one off the lot.

Anyway, long story short I didn't want to come all the way over there for nothing so I put $500 down to hold the vehicle when it shows up.

Can they order that specific vehicle if you want, or is it true when they say the cars just come randomly to their dealership every month from Japan?

Is my only option to wait for the car?
    Generally, you can't "order" an RSX... But, the dealer can check around and try to trade for the car you want... Or, they should be able to search for what is in port, or scheduled to arrive, and reserve it for their dealership.. Most dealers won't trade with the local competition, however..

All dealers would rather you buy a car that is on the lot, because no sale is final, until delivery takes place.. A bird in hand... so to speak..

If you want a particular color, I'd try to stay in contact with them weekly, to let them know you are serious, and to keep them focused on the task.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I put $500 down so they would know I was pretty serious. However, I will take the advice and touch base every week. Thanks
  • newrsxnewrsx Member Posts: 1
    bought 06 rsx type s black on black this week.
    bought for edmunds TMV price (possibly could have gotten a little lower, but car has great resale value, great quality)
    no problems with salesperson, no added charges to contract, no f/i sales tactics. Acura of Dayton.
    don't have insurance cost yet (but I am "older" female so likely won't be too bad)

It's a scream to drive! Bose audio is great. I traded Saab 9-3 (which was fun but not very reliable)and am having a blast.
  • mrstaters51mrstaters51 Member Posts: 1
    IS IT POSSIBLE TO RETURN A LEASED VEHICLE AND NOT PAY ANYMORE MONEY ON THE CAR?
    SMS :blush:
    I just checked up with the sales person about my car and he said that they had ordered the car directly from the manufacturer in Japan.

From what he said they make the car (or there is one their already) send them the vin and deliver to the dealership. However, they said it might take a while if there are few requests for a peticular color, etc...

I find it hard to believe that I'd be the only one to ask for jade metallic green w/ no extraneous options. Am I at the dealers mercy? I can always ask for my money back and go somewhere else if they don't deliver.
    Hi mrstaters51. I am sorry to say that once you have signed all of the contracts and physically driven off of the lot in your leased vehicle you are basically stuck with it. It is almost always very expensive to get out of a lease before its scheduled end date. In order to get out of your lease now, you will have to buy your car from than bank that you are leasing it from and trade it in on something else or sell it on your own. You will likely lose a lot of money in the process. You will be much better off keeping your car until you are as close as possible to the scheduled end of your lease.

Car_man
    Host
  • nruddnrudd Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of buying a Black Pearl black cloth interior base model RSX automatic. How did I do?

Invoice Price:
    $19,368
    MSRP:
    $21,225

Price paid: $19,618 (invoice + $250)

destination: $615

Fee from acura to dealer: $200 (said charged to all dealers in AZ and included in his invoice price, not in mine above)

tax (8.1%): $1655

doc fee: $388

misc AZ fees : $22

Plates : $374

Total: $22,872

Do these fees seem normal to you? I'm hoping for someone in Arizona to get a local opinion on it. From what I've seen the doc fees here are outrageous so that one makes some sense. I don't mind the $200 fee from Acura, and I suppose plates/registration is that expensive in arizona too.

Any opinions?
  • ramkumramkum Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a 2006 Acura RSX (Automatic with Leather Interiors + Rear Spoiler) Black Pearl. I spoke to a dealer and the best offer I got from his is $23000 including Taxes.
    Please advice if this is a good deal.

Ramkum
    I'd relook the doc fee. In Washington it is legally written it can be no more than $35 according to the Dept. of Rev. Not sure about AZ. might check the web site. Good deal though.
  • joem5joem5 Member Posts: 201
    You did alright.
  • lgidlgid Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to lease an Acura RSX. Would you be able to tell me if I am getting a fair deal?

Price with taxes (OH) is $250. This is for an automatic and $2,784 down.
  • jsicolojsicolo Member Posts: 1
    2 quick questions from a person who never leased a car:

1. With the current promotion on the 2006 Acura RSX, the capitalized cost is $18,673.87. This is even below CarsDirect price of $19,963. It's close to invoice price of $18,549.

Will the dealer laugh in my face if I ask to buy it at the capitalized cost? I mean from their point of view, its better for them to have my money up front and have the car gone right?

2. Also, from the web site: Total monthly payments $7,884,00. Option to purchase at lease end $11,935.80. This means the total cost if you buy it at the end of your lease is 19819.80

What am I missing here? This price is only $200 more than if I bought it today through cars direct? And with the lease, I have the option not to buy after 3 years if something cooler comes along [eg. 2007 RSX?? :)]
    I think you are leaving the "due at signing" money out of the equation.

I'm not familiar with this particular program, but there is probably a Cap cost reduction ($1999? 2499?) and an acquisition fee to be paid upfront.

Add that cap cost reduction back on to the Capitalized cost, and that should give you the selling price that they are using in this example.

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hi lgid. You never mentioned the selling price or MSRP of the car that you are interested in leasing. These are important numbers for you as a consumer to know for two reasons. First, the selling prices of leased vehicles can be negotiated, just as if you were paying cash for them. Without knowing this car's selling price in relation to its MSRP you don't know how much of a discount you are getting on it. The second reason is that one needs the selling price and MSRP, including the destination charge, of a vehicle to calculate its lease payment. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion on this deal if you let me know what these numbers are. It also would be helpful if you would mention how long this lease is and how many miles per year it allows.

Car_man
    Host
  • billhibillhi Member Posts: 3
    Hi, curious as to which spoiler you purchased and the price...they have 2...the large one and a smaller one...thanks
  • overideoveride Member Posts: 1
    Hey. About 4 years ago I test drove a 2002 RSX and I fell in love with them. In Nov. 05 I finally got one.

black/black
    base model
    5 speed
    approx. $15.000 (canadian)

About 2 weeks ago some punk-[non-permissible content removed] kid cut across 3 lanes to turn onto a side street and I T-Boned him. The cops showed up and charged that dumb-[non-permissible content removed] with reckless driving. The entire front-end of my RSX got smashed in. I got a call from my insurance company and they told me the car is a total write-off. The 2 front airbags alone cost approx. $8000 to replace. Now I gotta run around and waste my time looking for another car. :mad:

You can be the best driver in the world and be driving the most beautiful car but some a**hole might come along and f**k things up.

I LOVED MY RSX. :cry:

Right now I'm looking at another one.
    silver/black
    base model
    5 speed
    leather
    sun-roof
    fully loaded
    approx. $21,000 (canadian)

I guess I have a RSX fetish :shades:
  • baggio10baggio10 Member Posts: 3
    How's this deal?
    RSX type S Lease

36month
    $300/month
    $2500 down
    Residual:$14,676
    $300 w/ tax BTW
    Initial cap cost:$23,885
    Month payment:$300/mon w/tax 36mon
    residual:$14,676 (60%)
    Down:2,500
    Money factor:.00146
  • albert8albert8 Member Posts: 8
    anybody can help me which one is better? I'm trying to compare this two and it seems like a 06 acura rsx AT were having problems with the STRUTS, NOISE UNDER DASH, and MORE..is this problems nationwide or only in some States, but VW 06 GTI doesnt really have any problems. I from Washington State and i'm really dont know if somebody having problems with the new acura rsx in here. Please give me any suggestion or tips...

Thank you. :confuse:
This discussion has been closed.