Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura RSX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• salinasxsalinasx Member Posts: 1
    Help! I've think I've done pretty well on negotiating the price of an auto, cloth RSX. The stumbling block is negotiating the price of the dealer installed spoilers: rear and underbody. Dealer doesn't want to budge from their price, roughly $799 for rear + $1699 for underbody. My questions are: what has someone else paid OR where I can I find info on a realistic price for Acura OEM spoilers.
  • hywdx80hywdx80 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2004 RSX-S in Silver for 23,000 OTD at Baranco Acura near atlanta. Great Service, and price. Sales tax was at 5% so the car was near or under invoice. Extras I got were wheel locks and a trunk tray, (were included, really had no choice)
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    my new RSX today: desert silver base model with 5-speed stick and cloth - don't like leather. Purchase price is $19,250 which is about $200 over invoice, and is almost $1000 under Edmunds TMV. It includes a "Pro pack" they wanted $500 for, which explains the "$250" part of the 19,250. That has stuff like wheel locks and trunk tray.

The only thing the finance manager tried to sell me was a 100K extended warranty for $995. He was very persistent, despite my repeated assurances that I was not interested. Needless to say, he did not make a sale!

I feel good about the price, and I love this car. My old integra just passed 251K miles, and I am hoping the RSX will give me a comparable experience. It is almost time to put the 'teg to rest! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    A friend of mine bought one (silver/leather/automatic) recently, he really likes it. Though I'm generally not a fan of automatics, this one (5-speed) is nice and should prove to be economical on the highway.

Do you still have your Matrix?
    is gone - it was a trade on the RSX - and after three weeks of blissful driving, it is clear it was the right thing to do! :-)

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    missed anything in a car more! How can people stand to drive autos? I will never understand.

• shorthairptrshorthairptr Member Posts: 14
    What is wrong with driving an auto?

What is your age and what type of driving do you do?
    zero engine control, forever in the wrong gear at all times, and loss of what seems like half the engine power when you need it most, because the torque converter isn't locked up.

But I am sure this is not the right place to be discussing this...

My driving is the usual sort of stuff...my commute to work is short, my commute to campus (graduate school) is not, and all the other typical stuff.

• nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    zero engine control, forever in the wrong gear at all times, and loss of what seems like half the engine power when you need it most, because the torque converter isn't locked up.

That's not true with a manual shifting automatic. I also use mine for engine braking on snowy roads...works almost as good as a true manual and much better than just using the regular brakes.

My driving is the usual sort of stuff...my commute to work is short, my commute to campus (graduate school) is not, and all the other typical stuff.

Try commuting 700 miles per week in stop and go highway traffic...you'll change your tune. :-)
    I don't do it any more, but I did it for the first year after buying my RSX.
    beg to differ....just a different perspective, that is all.

For several years I commuted 300 miles/week through heavy traffic with a stick shift, no prob. I agree with you regarding the manumatic thing - improves the situation a little, but for me the bottom line is your transmission is still slipping most of the time.

My Acura dealer just invited me to a "new owner's clinic" - free food and "a chance for service staff to get to know me"...I skipped it. What service does this car need anyway? Hardly any...

• nitromaxnitromax Member Posts: 640
    For several years I commuted 300 miles/week through heavy traffic with a stick shift, no prob. I agree with you regarding the manumatic thing - improves the situation a little, but for me the bottom line is your transmission is still slipping most of the time.

This is a common misconception amongst many people. The term "slushbox" has been passed down through the generations and it still is stigmatizing the auto tranny today.
    Having built up racing automatics for my old street rods in my previous life, I know how the automatic works and what it is capable of.
    For one thing there is only slipping when the gears are changing...similar to the clutch in a manual.
    "slipping most of the time?"....hardly

My Acura dealer just invited me to a "new owner's clinic" - free food and "a chance for service staff to get to know me"...I skipped it. What service does this car need anyway? Hardly any...

LOL
     I was the "poster child" for my Acura dealer because I was bringing it in for it's scheduled maintenance every month and a half to two months....they got to know me quite well. They also learned alot about the RSX because I bought one of the originals and they were basically learning how the car "responded" to mileage and age by using my car as the guinea pig.
    :-)
    Now that I don't drive as much I never see them any more...maybe once a year....*sniff*...:-)
    a pretty slick operation over at my local dealer, which is not to say I will miss them much! :-P

I see in the manual that Honda recommends 10K oil change intervals unless your driving is MAINLY of the kind I don't do. Also states specifically to leave the break-in oil in for the entire first interval. Asked the service guys when they would change the oil. Their answer? "There are only three states in the country where the non-severe driving conditions exist, and this aint one of them. Change the oil every 5K max."

Now I must admit 5K is my standard normally, but the devil's advocate in me is inclined to follow the book from Honda and go with 10K.

Oh yeah, and by slipping, I meant not in lock-up, which is the case most of the time in most cars under 35 or 40 mph, and is also the case if you are on the freeway and floor it to pass, at least for the first few seconds.

• lizzabelle81lizzabelle81 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a new RSX, but I'm seeking advice from other past-RSX buyers. I went to Ryan's Open Road Acura in East Brunswick, NJ today, and the salesperson quoted me $19k for a 2003 (new, no mileage) base manual w/ leather. $19k seems a bit steep for a leftover, especially considering '05s are coming out in, what, six months? However, I didn't get a quote on a 2004. I figure an '04 would probably run me about $22k, so better to spend the extra $3k and have a new car. Can anyone give me some idea on how much I should spend, as I don't want any extra features. Also, can anyone recommend a dealer in central New Jersey to me? Bridgewater Acura, Princeton Precision Acura, Open Road, and Ocean Acura are all within 30 minutes of me, but if I can get better service (and a better deal) somewhere else, I'll go anywhere. Any advice anyone could give me would be appreciated.
    sticker on a base w/ manual and leather is only $21K, not $22K. You are, in effect, saving about $1250, maybe $1500 to buy the '03. I would definitely insist on an extra $1000 off if it were me...we are already almost at April 1 here. If it is not too big a stretch, I would go for the '04, but an '03 base manual with leather for $18K is a bargain I would look at seriously.

• cheebacheeba Member Posts: 1
    Recently purchased a 2004 RSX Auto for $20,100. The vehicle was purchased from Springfield Acura in Union NJ. The buying experience was haggle free and fast. I recommend this dealer if you want to fair price and pleaseing buying experience.
  • purplehatpurplehat Member Posts: 2
    Always have driven Hondas but now interested in a 2002 RSX, cloth seats, 13,000 miles, looks new. They are asking $17,750. I offered $17,400. Is this too much. Charcoal gray, stick shift. They tell me I'm getting a good deal at this price.
  • purplehatpurplehat Member Posts: 2
    Also, Honda is offering me a 2003 Honda Accord, leather seats, rear spoiler, no miles for $22,000. He says he took $4,000 off the price, like I should be lucky.
    is a V-6, right? Sounds like that is a better deal than the RSX, which is already two years old regardless of miles. The Acura should be another thousand cheaper, IMO.

• tast31tast31 Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the North Carolina area and have called my local dealerships and they are all quoting the '04 RSX base model, auto trans, w/leather at MSRP. This is my first car purchase...how do I negotiate? I see that others paid about 500-1000 over invoice, although those posts were about 6 months ago. Would that bargaining stance still hold power? Where do I start?
    sometimes they won't quote competitive prices over the phone, because they have little hope you will ever walk through their door. Start by getting some internet quotes, then visit a couple of the best deals with the internet quote printed out and in your hand - make 'em bid against each other.

RSX is now three years old and sales have slowed - I would be surprised if you couldn't get a better deal than folks were getting six months ago.

• tast31tast31 Member Posts: 5
    Performance Acura of Chapel Hill gave me a good deal after they saw my TMV reports off of Edmunds.com. I am a satisfied driver!
  • capaccionecapaccione Member Posts: 11
    I purchased an RSX from Springfield Acura. The deal went well and the salesman (Doug) was extremely helpful and professional. If you do your homework with all of the pricing, the deal will go through. I went to other Acura dealers in central NJ only to find them rude, incompetent and overpriced.
  • restonhamrestonham Member Posts: 9
    Purchased a black 2004 base RSX, cloth with automatic at just below invoice from Bell Acura late last week. Extremely pleasant folks to deal with and the triple witching time helped - start of a holiday weekend, decent inventory and end of the month. Being only a few months from the '05s probably had some effect also. Let them make the first offer and then counter with a few hundred below invoice (for Acuras - for American cars, start at a few thousand below invoice :-)). They will not throw you out of the dealership. If you can, check the dealer's on-line inventory before you go - that way you know if they are loaded with cars or only have a few - makes a big difference in your bargaining ability. Internet quotes from several dealers will help also - you don't have to buy from the same dealer you will get service from.
  • alkrollalkroll Member Posts: 3
    How have people's experiences buying an RSX (Type S) been in the Chicago area? Any places to be sure to avoid; any places that have treated you especially well?
  • joshsjoshs Member Posts: 22
    In answer to your query:

I bought an RSX-S in the Chicago area (west suburbs) just last year (August '03), and I ended up having four dealerships bidding against each other.

McGrath (sp?) was by far the worst: they kept talking deal, but they lowballed my trade-in, they saw five hundred under MSRP as a 'great deal,' and they were rude.

Muller was absolutely neutral. I remember almost nothing about them, because of how average they were.

Continental Acura was friendly and more than willing to haggle/deal, but they didn't have the color I wanted (Arctic Blue). No complaints, though. If Napleton didn't exist, they would have gotten my business.

Napleton Acura (Elmhurst) was where I ended up buying. They were friendly, they offered a good deal (my trade-in was given well above what Edmunds suggests and the purchase price was under TMV), and they didn't play number games. Even their F & I guy was low-pressure.

I'd be surprised if you got anything but frustration at McGrath (the whole dealership was run like something out of Confessions of a Car Salesman). On the other hand, you owe it to yourself to check out Napleton.

Josh
  • alkrollalkroll Member Posts: 3
    Thanks, JoshS, for the response. It may be a few months before I actually buy, but it's always good to know which dealers treat their customers especially well.

Here's another question: Since Honda/Acura sells cars without factory-installed options, it's hard to get an idea on what to pay for the options that are offered. Edmund's, alas, does not list prices for dealer-installed options.

Has anyone bought an RSX or RSX-S and gotten the rear spoiler? How much did you pay for it? (I'm talking about the smaller, relatively understated curved spoiler, not the really tall rectangular spoiler I've seen in a couple of photos.)
  • aylagirlaylagirl Member Posts: 11
    We are purchasing a 2004 RSX, automatic, with leather, in Greensboro, NC for $21,252 (not including tax, tag & title). Got some quotes over the Internet and then called our local dealer and told him that the lowest price would win (and I don't mind driving 100 miles or more for a good deal). I then told him that, of course, I hope he gets the business since he's local and I'd certainly be bringing the car back to him for servicing, therefore, I'd like to establish a good relationship with him from the beginning. He came back to me after 15 or 20 minutes with the price above. He also had one with a cloth interior for $20,309.77

How'd you do with your purchase, btw?
  • gary1476gary1476 Member Posts: 1
    For a 2004 Acura RSX automatic, cloth, with tint, I paid 19,050 + TTL + Sales Tax etc, drive out of 20,500. I got this price as an internet quote from David Mcdavid in Plano TX. I recommend this dealer, the whole experience was smooth and haggle free.
  • the_manthe_man Member Posts: 15
    I recently purchased a RSX Type-S. The color as you guessed it is red. Red is the best color in the world. I got the car for around 23,000 dollars from Acura of Avon. The car is a great little runabout sports car and it has room for my skis and musical instruments which is always a plus. I am very satisfied with the car except for the horrible tires and the lack of an armrest. However I am getting new tires and wheels as well as a center armrest.(don't get a boomerang armrest because your arm will always rub against it while shifting and it can't fold up). Overall the car is a pleeasure to drive weather on country backroads or onlong straights while letting the throttle go full out.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    Congrats!! Be sure and click on the H&A banner at the top of the page for various accessories. Enjoy!
  • jasonkjasonk Member Posts: 1
    just bought a 2003 RSX at the Ann Arbor, MI Acura dealer. 11,000 miles, black, black leather, automatic, paid 17,900. Seemed like a fair price, it's a beauty.
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    And welcome to the Forums...

Be sure and check the Acura RSX discussions now that you are a proud owner:

Acura RSX - Maintenance, Problems & Solutions

Acura RSX (All years/types)

Best Hot Hatch - SVT, Civic Si, GTI, RSX, Mini, Beetle...
  • types04types04 Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a 2004 Acura RSX Type S in Arctic Blue Pearl. $22,600 - maybe a little high, but paid extra for the color and the fact I got a great price on my trade in (over a thousand more than another Acura dealership was offering).
  • teamgekkoteamgekko Member Posts: 13
    2005 Acura RSX info available at acura.com
  • italianladyitalianlady Member Posts: 1
    Gary,
    We are purchasing a 2004 RSX automatic, cloth, w/o tint from a San Antonio Dealer who gave us
    cash price of $19,799 +ttl+ sales tax for a drive out price of $21,263.68. We had originally got a price at David McDavid in Plano for the same equipped RSX for $100 above the price we are getting from the dealer in San Antonio. You said that this was a no haggle price you received from David McDavid. My question is: Is your RSX a new 2004 without mileage and not a demonstrator. Evidently your no-haggle price is better than we received from the same dealer.
  • ralkralk Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 Acura RSX Type-S, Vivid Blue Metallic for 23,100, before tax and plates. You might be able to get a few more hundred off, but I felt it was a fair price being it is a 2005 model purchased in September 2004.

It is a fun car to drive. I recommend it.

Good luck. Hope this helps people in the market.
  • physastphysast Member Posts: 8
    Hello everyone.. I have been reading the post and love that edmunds has a forum.. (edmunds newbie)

I have talked a dealer down to 19800 + tax for a NEW 2004 rsx manual with leather. Is this a good deal? I see that it is right at invoice, but not sure if the market has changed for the 2004 yet. Thank you in advance for all the advice and help.

charlie
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    It doesn't look like there's much of a manufacturer-to-dealer incentive right now, so that may be as low as you can get. Depends on how much time you want to spend haggling, but my guess is that you won't get much more than $100-200 off that price unless the dealership is stocked full of 2004 models.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

Im going down to the dealer tonight to either get it or walk. he says that im getting it for 19500 plus a docking fee which brings it up to 19800. and Im going to try and get a spoiler thrown in for free.

charlie
    Well I just bought it. 2004 Acura rsx in Silver with ebony leather. I love it.. ended up paying after everything 20100 which I think is fair.
  • ripped4rceripped4rce Member Posts: 1
    I got my car or should I say my wife's car Yesterday. I bought from the friendly people at Performance Acura in Chapel Hill, NC. Great Price too! Let me tell you now, I didnt know you could get internet quotes from Acura until I read it on hear. Some of the dealerships didnt want to do it. I got pissed b/c they kept sending back generic emails with no reference to the asked for quote.... Like, "we got great deals on selected cars and blah blah blah." I got a couple to respond back, but I really liked the attitude of Performance Acura, and they were about the best deal, beat the last quote by only 20 bucks, but in the end it was the attitude and the personality of the New car manager that won me over. Also The service dept has a great rep. too!
    In the end I walked out with the Car for about 22500 plus tax and usual fees. Great car, lots of performance for the money...and its an Acura/Honda! Dependability, service, and engineering!
    Btw That new RL is Awesome!
  • bavendabavenda Member Posts: 9
    In northern california. $300 over invoice was the best I could do.
  • acuragirlacuragirl Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am getting a price of 21000 for an auto RSX with leather, no options included. Please advise if this is a good price.

Thanks
  • acuragirlacuragirl Member Posts: 2
    Some more info might be helpful. I am getting 21000 (includes destination but no taxes, licensing etc.) for 2005 auto RSX(black) with leather... Please share if you got a better deal than this.

Thanks in advance.
    seems like a good deal.. I got my 2004 for 19500 before tax
  • sonricitasonricita Member Posts: 1
    Hi!!! Everyone I bought my RSX 2 week ago Gettel Sarasota great price $19,127.Vivid Blue Pearl. I paid extra for Tinted glass and spoiler. I love my car....>>>>>>
    congrats! Very good price too, great if you have the leather?...

• frescagodfrescagod Member Posts: 6
    I bought my 2004 base with leather two months ago when they were offering 2.9% for up to 60 months. I jumped on that offer and ended up paying $18,314, $19,100 after taxes, destination, title/registration, etc. Can anyone beat that? My monthly payments are barely $300.
    best price I have heard yet. Were you able to bargain on the fact that they already had '05s in stock?

This discussion has been closed.