Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda3 Hatchback

Comments

• tominsdtominsd Posts: 18
    If the quality control on the Mazda 3 is as good as past Proteges, the answer is absolutely yes. The Proteges are as reliable as Toyotas and Hondas - based on my experience and consumer report stats. I had a squeak in my Protege5 that was annoying me. Mazda spent several days looking at the problem (giving me a free loaner) and determined it was the rear brake rotors. They were replaced for free and their diagnosis was correct. The problem was resolved. I have a friend who has a 1995 Protege and it still runs like new - never needed a single repair. This is not unusual with these Proteges.
  • 3zoom3zoom Posts: 16
    hey guys, this site have mud guard i remember some of u are looking for one.

i didn't order one yet but will soon

http://www.autobarn.com/keystone/parts_lookup_keystone.php
  • 3zoom3zoom Posts: 16
    i just wonder is there any lower cost way to protect my M3 from theft...i was thinking the autolock pro...but ppl say is garbage.
  • z71billz71bill Posts: 2,000
    I am sure many people (well a few people) that bought Yugos also went many miles (ok maybe a few hundred) without any problems.

If you are one of the few that go 10 years without every having a problem then great - but I started having problems after less than 2 months of ownership - little things like grinding brakes, harsh shifting tranny, completely worthless AC system - & Mazda will not fix my car.

I think it is important - if you are posting how great Mazda service is to also post WHEN this service was delivered. I think Mazda may have been a decent company 3,4 or 10 years ago - maybe back then they fixed defects in their new cars. But I don't see many posts from MAZDA3 owners about how great they are about fixing they type of problem.

Anyone had a harsh shifting Mazda3 tranny fixed?

What about the grinding rear brakes - anyone had that problem fixed in the last 6 months?
  • cgr45cgr45 Posts: 33
    Thanks for all the info. After reading all of the posts on the these forums and some of the replies, I've decided to go with a Honda Accord. I like the Mazda3 much more but I'm not willing to take a chance on this car.

The Accord is actually a bit out of my price range. I rather pay $50-$60 more a month for peace of mind.
  • autonomousautonomous Posts: 1,769
    "I've decided to go with a Honda Accord. I like the Mazda3 much more but I'm not willing to take a chance on this car. The Accord is actually a bit out of my price range. I rather pay $50-$60 more a month for peace of mind."

Congratulations, Carlos!

Toyota and Honda are acclaimed for their reliability and the Accord is much sportier looking than the Camry. After sales service, of course, depends on the dealerships involved; I have not heard anything negative about Honda dealerships and you likely have had good service up until now; Toyota dealerships I heard were better than most; Mazda dealerships have to improve theirs.

In defence of the Mazda3, Consumer Reports recently had rated it highest in its small cars with manual transmissions and one of the top 3 in the automatics; reliability was rated excellent. CR subsequently demoted the car for safety reasons (no side curtain airbags, like most small cars); I predict most decent small cars will come with them as options in the next year or two and Mazda3 will be restored to recommended as part of the top 3.

Full disclosure: I drive a Mazda Protege5, predecessor to the Mazda3; CR has rated the P5 as reliable for the last 7 years; I have not had a problem since purchase (2002); I am not car salesman.
  • cticti Posts: 134
    To be picky, the Mazda3 has side airbags as an option. Mazda apparently did not provide one for testing.

I can't imagine NOT getting one with sidee air bags as that option package as all the safety goodies - SAB, SAB, ABS, EBD. Acronyms aplenty!

Jason
    "the Mazda3 has side airbags as an option." Thanks Jason for the correction.

"Mazda apparently did not provide one for testing" I predict Mazda won't repeat that mistake again!

According to the Mazda3 brochure, side airbags don't seem available in Canada. Kudos to MazdaUSA!
  • barry42barry42 Posts: 64
    Oh cgr45 !! I must tell you my story !! I saw the car when it was first shown in the Mags !! What's not to like about the outside appearance !!I had a small Chevy Blazer that I never liked so I investigated more and everything I found out was positive !! the dash -- the interior -- the fit and finish -- and the best dealer in town was managed by an old friend of the family !! In Feb of '04 I bought an '05 HB in a color called Sparkling Sand 24E and Beige [ incidentally mud flaps come on the cars as standard down here in Guatemala ] The problems that others have cited have not occurred on my car !! It gets hot down here but the AC does a fine job !! The only thing I have done with the car is normal service !! But, if I did have a problem I know I would get good service , because , I know the manager as a long time friend !! I know I don't need to go on about the ride and the handling because anyone who owns a " 3 " knows that they are wonderful !!

I sold my wife's Toyota Yaris [ Echo ] last week and I'm going to order her a Mazda3 Sedan next week !!

Happy Hunting and enjoy your negotiating with the Sales Manager !!

incidentally, I am not a Salesman and I hate most of them !!

Cheers !! Barry42
  • Yeah, the fact is, a majority of Mazda3 owners have had few to no problems, and what few problems we've had were fixed quickly, with no fuss. However, there ARE a select few 04 owners who appear to have had issues with the A/C system.

I predict cgr is going to end up with buyer's remorse after buying the Accord, which, incidentally, is also not a perfect model. And good luck with the Honda dealers...they think they sell BMWs ;)
  • I've been extremely satisfied with Mazda service. I had the 02 Protege5 and in February I traded that in for the 05 Mazda3 SP23....there were zero problems with the P5 and , when it was in for scheduled maintenance, the service I received was stellar. After one month in the new car, I have to admit I love everything about it. I'm expecting years of trouble free miles!
    Barry said: "In Feb of '04 I bought an '05 HB in a color called Sparkling Sand 24E and Beige ... down here in Guatemala ] The problems that others have cited have not occurred on my car !! It gets hot down here but the AC does a fine job !!'

Interesting testimonial : I think you're the member furthest south from whom we have heard; your positive experience with A/C is encouraging. Your light coloured car should be cooler than a darker one. Is it the interior that is beige? If so, very intelligent choice as the current dark interior, especially black leather, makes it much tougher to cool. (Are lighter cars more common in Guatemala?) Also, some have theorized that the A/C was an early problem that was solved after May 2004; I wonder if the fact that you bought yours trouble free in February means the problem was solved in early 2004. The A/C is worth checking even if the problem no longer exists.

p.s. Barry, why does "!!" end each sentence of yours?
    Hard to disagree with the logic that a darker color is more difficult to cool.

One sunny day my black Mazda3 was sitting next to my silver Z-71 in my driveway. The black Mazda3 was so hot I could not keep my hand on it - the silver Z-71 was barely warm.

BUT wait a minute - it is Mazda that decided to use black as one of the main interior colors in the Mazda3 - isn't it reasonable to expect that they compensate for this when they design the AC system?

Based on my defective AC system they must have done the testing in the winter.
    Based on my defective AC system they must have done the testing in the winter
    ... in Canada.

Which makes me think:
    - what is the latitude of Hiroshima?
    - how extensively is testing done for cars and their components, in other words, do they (and other car companies) test in different conditions (e.g. different parts of world) if they are selling for a global market?
  • audia8qaudia8q Posts: 3,138
    When Mazda designed the MZ3 along with other products they decided to essentially build the same vehicle for all markets...Many carmakers, including Ford often "americanizes" cars to fit the needs and demands of north american buyers...Mazda didnt have the resources to make design modifications to north american cars only...example, longer seat bottoms, larger capacity A/C systems etc. Many features that americans want are a non-issue in most other parts of the world and vice-versa.

Mazda has plans to fit each carline to each specific market but these modifications are not due right away.
  • barry42barry42 Posts: 64
    The " !! " is just me !!
    The Beige is the interior color !! The combination of the Sparkling Sand 24E exterior and Beige interior makes for a stunning appearance !! I grew up in Montreal and learned there that snow melts faster off a light colored car !! I have bought only silver and white or sand colored cars since because they are cool !!

There are a few more light colored cars here --mostly silver -- but I don't think it is intentional -- you can't tell these people down here anything !!

Now to the AC " problem " !! Honestly, I don't think Mazda has attacked the "opportunity" I think it is the way I use it !! The car is in the carport when I'm at home , The color inside and out is light , I use that silver shield on the dash and of coarse I don't use the heater [ except only a little bit to take fog off the windshield !!

God !! I like this Car !! Barry.
    Rich said: "When Mazda designed the MZ3 along with other products they decided to essentially build the same vehicle for all markets. Many carmakers, including Ford often "americanizes" cars to fit the needs and demands of north american buyers...example, longer seat bottoms, larger capacity A/C systems etc. Many features that americans want are a non-issue in most other parts of the world and vice-versa."

True. Just sticking with North American scene, one can easily see key differences in the American, Canadian and Mexican car markets. One obvious difference is that the Canadian market tends to favour smaller vehicles compared to the US market because of fuel costs; the Mazda3 has been a top seller as a result (but for some reason diesel powered Mazdas unlike VW Golf TDIs have not made it across the pond from Europe).

That balance between building the global car while responding to local needs is one heck of a business challenge!
    So people that live outside North America like the hot - sticky - sweaty feeling they get from driving the Mazda3 on a hot day.

What a load of bull -

I understand and accept that there are many differences in what regional markets demand - but a good HVAC system is not one of them. This is just spin.

It would be like trying to claim people from "X" country really don't care if their brakes make grinding sounds - or if the car leaks oil - or burst into flames.

Lets face it - Mazda made two mistakes - First they designed an AC system that will not cool the car - then (and IMO a much bigger defect) they made the corporate decision to NOT FIX the defect in the cars that have already been sold.

Spin this any way you want - it still comes out the same if your car is defective.
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    I have been following this thread for quite some time and it is obvious that you are very dissatisfied with your Mazda3. It is quite apparant that you think your dealer is giving you the shaft and that Mazda does not stand behind their vehicles.

I have owned two Mazdas. A 1994 626 and currently a 2002 MPV. The 626 was great and we had no problems until the notorious Ford CD4E automatic tranny started giving us problems. Since the cost to replace the tranny in the 626 was almost as much as the vehicle was worth, it was easy for me to make the decision to get out of the 626. We have had no major issues with the MPV. Any problems we have encountered were quickly resolved by the dealer. This included the front suspension noise, the tappet sound from the valves, and most recently the PCV hose. We have also had a couple of recalls performed (for foglights, and airbag sensor). The MPV has been great to drive and fits our family perfectly.

I am in the market to replace my 2001.5 Passat (lease comes due at the end of June). The Mazda3 is tops on my list as a replacement. I do not hesitate to consider another Mazda in our household based on the track record I have had with our current MPV and our previous 626. I am truly sorry that you feel so poorly treated by Mazda and hope you are able to come to a resolution of your problems sooner rather than later - even if it means you have to lose money getting out of your Mazda3 and into another car you will be more happy with ... perhaps a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic.
    You are right I have had more than my fair share of "issues" with my Mazda3 and have started shopping for a replacement - even though I am holding out some hope that Mazda will step up and fix the defective AC in my car. I have stated many times this is not a dealer issue - it is Mazda corporate that is calling the shots.

I would like to see the 2006 Civic coupe and also plan to test drive the replacement for the IS300 & the Scion TC is still a possibility - more like a long shot.

What gets under my skin a little is when someone posts something like - the Mazda3 was designed as a world car and that is why the AC is not that good - like people in other parts of the world like to sweat. Just look at the differences between Canada and US models - if Mazda's goal was to have "ONE" car to sell everywhere then why so many differences? I also think a car with a 1.6L engine is also sold in some markets. So the thought that Mazda can offer different engines, safety features and even auto headlights in some markets - but then must use the same crummy HVAC system because they want a world car just does not hold water.
This discussion has been closed.